The Edmonton Oilers were active in free agency today, adding three unrestricted free agents and signing one of their own restricted players. Here’s the rundown on the dollars:
- LW Benoit Pouliot signed for 5-years times $4 million per season.
- D Mark Fayne signed for 4-years $3.625 million per season.
- D Keith Aulie signed for 1-year and $800,000.
- LW Luke Gazdic (restricted) for 2-years and $800,000 per season.
General Manager Craig MacTavish spoke about each player at the afternoon press conference:
- MacT on Pouliot: “Pouliot was maybe our most important add. He is a guy with size and speed that tracks the puck very well.”
- MacT on Fayne: “Fayne gives us a guy that makes simple, smart effective plays. He’s a good defender.”
- MacT on Aulie: “Aulie has an opportunity because of his age and skill set to make a significant impact on our team.”
- MacT on Gazdic: “Gazdic has built a pretty fearful reputation for himself around the League. He’s earned the contract.”
OILERS DEPTH CHART 2014-15 (PROJECTED)
|LEFT WING||CENTER||RIGHT WING|
|TAYLOR HALL||RYAN NUGENT-HOPKINS||JORDAN EBERLE|
|DAVID PERRON||MARK ARCOBELLO??||TEDDY PURCELL|
|BENOIT POULIOT||LEON DRAISAITL||NAIL YAKUPOV|
|LUKE GAZDIC??||BOYD GORDON||MATT HENDRICKS|
|ANTON LANDER||TYLER PITLICK|
|LEFT DEFENSE||RIGHT DEFENSE|
|MARTIN MARINCIN||JEFF PETRY (RFA)|
|NIKITA NIKITIN||MARK FAYNE|
|ANDREW FERENCE||JUSTIN SCHULTZ (RFA)|
|OSCAR KLEFBOM||KEITH AULIE|
|STARTING GOALIE||BACKUP GOALIE|
|BEN SCRIVENS||VIKTOR FASTH|
This roster is beginning to resemble a logical, balanced set with veterans in the important spots. It is not there. I think they need to add a quality two-way center and there’s still some issues around that “tough minutes 4line” that houses Luke Gazdic. It was an effective, responsible day of free agency with innovation and imagination.