OILERS INVITE WESTGARTH TO CAMP

The Edmonton Oilers have invited enforcer Kevin Westgarth to training camp. Word leaked out this afternoon, leading some to wonder where that puts Luke Gazdic in terms of recovery and readiness.

westgarth

It’s a legit question (the Gazdic recovery timeline) and at 6.04, 234 he’s certainly going to get some attention during the pre-season. It’s funny, the Oilers began the week raving about young Vladimir Tkachev and now we find out that Westgarth gets an invite. Maybe they’re looking for one of those “sublime to ridiculous” photos?

Nah. My guess is the Oilers remain convinced enforcers have their use, and honestly Westgarth’s resume does strike me as being solid based on other options. He’s a poor possession player but you knew that without clicking. As these players go, I think he’s probably one of the better ones. Will he play a regular season game in Edmonton? I’ll guess yes, and wait for the Gazdic news to drop.

31 Responses to "OILERS INVITE WESTGARTH TO CAMP"

1. striatic says:

one.

Please only one this time.

2. OilClog says:

If Calgary didn’t go full caveman I don’t think he gets that invite.

3. RexLibris says:

The Flames made him expendable last year by finding a more useful player in Brian McGrattan.

Brian McGrattan.

More useful.

I’ll just let that sink in for a moment.

*sigh*

4. russ99 says:

Oh, MacT, really?

Why don’t we invite a center to camp instead of a placeholder goon..

5. slopitch says:

I like having a guy like that around for preseason. We all saw what happened to Sam Gagner last year. And I get that it really mean anything to have an enforcer along. But I wont complain till the season starts.

6. Melman says:

slopitch,

If this is the reasoning then it makes sense to me. Worth having a beat cop to keep the pre-season goofiness away from the guys you want on opening day.

7. regwald says:

At the Etown conference (Sept. 11-12) Bob Nicholson told the audience that there won’t be fighting in hockey in 5 years. (from a friend who attended).

But ah, this year. There still is fighting. And I guess a new for pre-season protection.

8. Ducey says:

Melman:
    slopitch,

If this is the reasoning then it makes sense to me.Worth having a beat cop to keep the pre-season goofiness away from the guys you want on opening day.

Yeah, for sure. There are always a couple of guys on the other team who have to fight to try and show off their “skills” before they are farmed out.

Better Westgarth than Moroz or one of the Oilers actual NHL players.

9. Frank The Dog says:

Can’t blame MacT for doing everything he can to avoid last year’s start.

10. OilClog says:

Do we play Kassian this preseason that prick..

11. rich says:

RexLibris:

Brian McGrattan.

More useful.

I’ll just let that sink in for a moment.

*sigh*

To quote that great Western philosopher Slim Pickens.

“I am depressed”.

12. nycoil says:

Keep him around through the preseason so we don’t get any Kassian repeats on Nuge during the meaningless games, then let him go when the season starts. I’m OK with that.

And I am being optimistic here, aren’t I?

13. gr8one says:

Bollocks.

Just when I think this team has turned a corner.

I’m guessing they have Dellow ball-gagged in a closet somewhere at the moment.

14. Younger Oil says:

If Westgarth gets signed over Tkachev it will be a huge step back in the progress that has been made over the past few months.

In MacT we trust.

15. RexLibris says:

nycoil:

And I am being optimistic here, aren’t I?

That brings us back to Kassian’s comment on MacIntyre, something about he’d have to catch me first.

Westgarth is a better skater than MacIntyre, but in either case, it has been shown that having an enforcer on the roster does not prevent opposition players from “taking liberties”. I don’t have the source readily available right now, but I’ll dig around and see if I can find it.

Ryan Rishaug ‏@TSNRyanRishaug 14s

Gazdic recovering from shoulder surgery and not fully healed, some protection through exhibition schedule isn’t a bad idea. Costs nothing

17. RexLibris says:

From a clever poster over at FN: If suck had physical mass, Westgarth would have his own event horizon.

I love it.

18. Germoil says:

So if you want a spot on the Oilers roster all you have to do is fight an Oiler?

Westgarth’s 5×5 Corsi for % was 43.5 a year ago, Gazdic at 37. lol. via war on ice.

20. VanOil says:

If Westgarth makes the team I might be better investing in DraftCenter than CenterIce.

21. Doug McLachlan says:

Didn’t the Flames dress Westgarth as a center in that game against the Canucks where Torts went nuts (rather, more nuts)?

Odd choice for MacT but he does appear to be addressing center depth, right?

22. G Money says:

Three articles in one day!

Is this an omen predicting that the Oilers shall have three scoring lines?!?!

“… then shalt thou count to three scoring lines, no more, no less. Three shall be the number of scoring lines thou shalt count, and the number of the counting of scoring lines shall be three. Four scoring lines shalt thou not count, neither count thou two scoring lines, excepting that thou then proceed to three scoring lines. Five scoring lines is right out.” (from Monty Python and the Stanley Cup).

23. RexLibris says:

Doug McLachlan:

Odd choice for MacT but he does appear to be addressing center depth, right?

Here’s the recap from that game.

Smid, Butler, Jones, McGrattan and Westgarth were the starting lineup. Likely that Westgarth played C, as McGrattan and Jones are both wingers.

Look at me, talking positional hockey in reference to that goon squad.

I was so embarrassed for Smid that night.

Reminded me of reading Semenko’s autobiography and the night he was tapped on the shoulder by then-coach of the Leafs, John Brophy. He said he felt sick to his stomach and knew at that moment that he needed to get out of the game.

Tortorella wore the goat horns for that game, but Hartley should have been more heavily punished. It was a beer league move.

RexLibris

NO HE WASN’T!!!! HE WAS BEING AN ASS HAT!!!

25. Crooked says:

There are always goons looking to stir things up in the pre-season. Doesn’t hurt to have a big nasty knuckle chucker in the line-up to keep them in check.

26. gr8one says:

RexLibris:

I love it.

That’s just great.

27. oilspillcali says:

I would love to see the converstation between. Gazdic and westgarth

Gazdic ” Hey didnt I knock you out last year?”
    Westgarth” Yaaaaaaaaaa”

28. Yeti says:

Why do we assume that this is cover until Gazdic is healed? Surely a fourth line of Westgarth – Lander – Gazdic is the ultimate aim, a line to strike fear into teams coast to coast.

29. RexLibris says:

Lowetide: That’s one thing that drives me nuts about most Flames fans. If I talk to Kent Wilson or Ryan Pike or Rex—you know, Flames fans with brains—they’ll feel shame. The rest? “Weellll, I think Hartley was making a point there”

NO HE WASN’T!!!! HE WAS BEING AN ASS HAT!!!

NOT A FLAMES FAN!

NOT A FLAMES FAN!

NOT A FLAMES FAN!

My friends give it to me over this all the time (seriously, you should have seen my desk when I got back from vacation – it was an ungodly scene of red and yellow).

I write for their fan site, I critique them – heavily and much to the chagrin of many regular visitors at FN – and I follow them as a counterpoint to the Oilers.

I harbour no love for that organization whatsoever.

In regards to the fans v writers’ responses to the line brawl last season – I agree. Kent was embarrassed, Ryan, I thought, was discouraged, but a vocal majority (though not all) of the fans were delighted (partially because of the release of frustrations against an admittedly infuriating Canucks team) if not proud.

Compare that to the most recent memory of a line brawl for the Oilers (the Mike Bishai-in-the-bench rumble in Atlanta years ago) which was an extension of the game. I do worry somewhat at what sort of circus antics Hartley and Burke are going to come up with this season – and I say that as someone who is intentionally avoiding fan-driven hyperbole.

PS – NOT A FLAMES FAN!

🙂

Methinks thou doth..ah hell, not even I believe you’re a Flames fan. You’re too smart!

31. jp says:

His CorsiRel was actually borderline reasonable with Carolina and LA (like single rather than double digit negative). Could he be a small upgrade as a hockey player?

I’m just trying to be optimistic here. I hope we never see him in an Oilers regular season game.