SETTING FREE THE CORGI’S

Taylor Hall is the franchise. If he can score 80 points when the Corgi’s are barking, imagine what he’ll do when the Corgi’s are humming?

TAYLOR HALL EV CORSI FOR % BY MONTH, 2013-14 (via Zsolt Munoz)

• Oct – 48.97% (Rudie Can’t Fail)
  • Nov – 42.9% (Hateful)
  • Dec – 45.1% (Train in Vain)
  • Jan – 41.5% (Lost In the Supermarket)
  • Feb – 46.4% (Brand New Cadillac)
  • Mar – 48.9% (London Calling)
  • Apr – 47.1% (Death or Glory)

The Feb-April run is encouraging, and as has been reported elsewhere, Tyler Dellow’s brilliant work at his now defunct (for now, I bet it eventually returns, perhaps modified) website may have contributed to this turnaround in Hall’s season. If Eakins can keep Hall with Nuge and Eberle, the trio improves their exits and entries (under control) and their shooting percentage remains average (which it did last season), can they score 87 goals? I think they can.

Before the turnaround, Tyler wrote two articles about Hall and zone entries (I refer to them here but the links are white with snow) but grabbed this quote from Dellow for my post:

• Dellow: What does this all tell us? I see three issues. First, the Oilers have become much more likely to dump pucks into the offensive zone with Hall on the ice at 5v5. Second, (in this sample at least but keep in mind that it was picked because it was pretty representative of the whole), they suck at retrieving those pucks. Third, they’ve gotten worse at generating shot attempts when they do carry the puck into the offensive zone.

If the Oilers can get Hall to Rudie Can’t Fail or even London Calling, music!

yakimov westcott

The kid is a gem. Someone asked in last night’s thread about which scouts would have seen him, and as we attempt to track this stuff a look back at a spring post might be helpful. It is here. The obvious scouts would be:

• Stu MacGregor: Head Amateur Scout, cross checks the world
  • Frank Musil: Europe
  • Pelle Eklund: Europe
  • Robert Nordmark: Europe
  • Matti Virmanen: Year two, Europe, seems to have some torque

Virmanen seems to have some torque in the MacT admin, and Musil is generally given credit for Marincin and others. I discount Eklund as a scout because of the internet rumor guy, which is clearly on me (right? I mean, I’d prefer blaming another but can’t make it rhyme). Let’s say Musil started the ball rolling, with the understanding we have no proof of it.

campbell pelletierI think this is a great hire, because anything you can do to improve your roster players and prospects’ performance get better is a good idea. I well remember Bob Nystrom of the NY Islanders working with Laura Stamm (there were 1,000 articles on it by about 1975).

• Stamm: Just before the summer of 1973 Bill Torrey, the New York Islanders GM, phoned me. He asked if I could teach a promising rookie by the name of Bob Nystrom. Bob had a lot of promise, but his only hope to make the Islanders roster was to improve his speed. After watching him I felt that by improving his skating technique he could be faster. Source

A buddy of mine (Brian Saipe) watched Bob Nystron with the Calgary Centennials as a junior.  He told me Nystrom was tough as nails and had some skill, but couldn’t skate worth a tinker’s damn in the WHL as a junior. Stamm helped (and of course Nystrom worked hard at it) and the results were golden. Any fool can see David Musil is more mobile now than a year ago, and that’s going to help his career. Why wouldn’t the Oilers try to help ALL of their players? Good hire.

EDMONTON OILERS TRAINING CAMP LIST, 2014

1. G Ben Scrivens—Everyone says he’s No. 1 going in.
  2. G Viktor Fasth—He’ll either sign this year (if things go well) or be dealt at deadline.
  3. G Richard Bachman—Solid insurance.
  4. G Laurent Brossoit—A big season for the Oilers’ top pro prospect.
  5. G Tyler Bunz—Needs to show something this season.
  6. G Ty Rimmer—MacT signed him, and he’s played well. We need to remember that.
  7. G Frans Tuohimaa—Looks like odd man out from here.
  8. D Mark Fayne—Hope he’s taking his vitamins, he’s going to be working this winter.
  9. D Jeff Petry—I’ve enjoyed his Oilers career, hope this isn’t the final season.
  10. D Martin Marincin—If he can build on last season, Oilers will have one big piece of the future established.
  11. D Nikita Nikitin—The box of chocolates addition to the blue (‘never know what you’re going to get’).
  12. D Andrew Ference—If he spends the year on third pair and PK, he should be effective.
  13. D Justin Schultz—Young man needs to deliver a responsible season defensively, while also helping offensively.
  14. D Keith Aulie—Enters camp as obvious No. 7, he’ll play a lot in that role.
  15. D Oscar Klefbom—He’s close, and could make the team.
  16. D Darnell Nurse—Disregard rookie camp, his audition starts now.
  17. D Brad Hunt—Puck-mover is somewhat unique among the callups.
  18. D Martin Gernat—He’ll be more prominent in camp and in OKC.
  19. D David Musil—Man he’s more mobile this fall.
  20. D Brandon Davidson—He should be in the mix for callup this season.
  21. D Jordan Oesterle—Had a nice young stars camp, can he build on it?
  22. D Dillon Simpson—Effective defender, less offensive than his numbers implied (so far).
  23. D CJ Ludwig—Mobile, chaotic. MacT likes these guys.
  24. D Graeme Craig—He brings size, but needs thousands of pro sorties to defend.
  25. D Ben Betker—Big man with some mobility. It’s a theme.
  26. D Jordan Rowley—Looked good on my grainy, halting, computer screen last night.
  27. C Ryan Nugent-Hopkins—Jesus H. he gets disrespected by people. Screw off, you disrespecting people.
  28. C Leon Draisaitl—He has some impressive passing and puck protection skills.
  29. C Boyd Gordon—Important player, my belief is he’ll play the 2nd most minutes among C’s.
  30. C Mark Arcobello—Betting against Arco is bad business.
  31. C Anton Lander—I hope he comes to camp and makes an early (and loud) impression.
  32. C Jason Williams—He’ll mentor the kid centers in OKC.
  33. C Will Acton—I still don’t know why people hate him. He’s in the mix, guaranteed.
  34. C Bogdan Yakimov—I think he’ll have a fine season in OKC.
  35. C Jujhar Khaira—He looks like the guy we thought he’d be: Solid checker, lacks offense.
  36. C Travis Ewanyk—Penalty-killer and depth forward of the future.
  37. C Connor Jones—Penalty-killing demon. A mini-Keon 4×5.
  38. C Marco Roy—Healthy! And skilled.
  39. C Kyle Platzer—Has impressed at young stars camp.
  40. L Taylor Hall—The franchise.
  41. L David Perron—Can he score 28 again?
  42. L Benoit Pouliot—Important addition, he should be able to fill multiple roles.
  43. L Matt Hendricks—Defensive zone starts, penalty-killing, muscle.
  44. L Luke Gazdic—Priced right, young and clearly already a solid teammate.
  45. L Jesse Joensuu—Big Finn has to be much better than last year to have an impact.
  46. L Ryan Hamilton—Too slow for the NHL.
  47. L Curtis Hamilton—Last chance Texaco.
  48. L Kale Kessy—Faster this season for sure.
  49. L Mitch Moroz—Oilers want this guy to flourish. He’ll get a push.
  50. L Kellen Jones—I think he’s the better one. Think.
  51. L Josh Winquist—I think he’ll end the season in the AHL.
  52. L Vladimir Tkachev—What a terrific week. He must be on cloud 9.
  53. L Alex Krushelnyski—I’m not feeling it.
  54. R Jordan Eberle—MacT is asking for more.
  55. R Nail YakupovDon’t screw this up, Oilers.
  56. R Teddy Purcell—Interesting addition, very useful NHL player.
  57. R Tyler Pitlick—Time has come today.
  58. R Iiro Pakarinen—Finns make the Oilers go.
  59. R Steve Pinizzotto—He showed well late in the season, has a chance.
  60. R Matt Ford—AHL veteran with skill.
  61. R Andrew Miller—Had an solid second half.
  62. R Greg Chase—How far can he go in main camp?
  63. R Mitch Holmberg—Coach Nelson seems to like him.
  64. R Jackson Houck—I wonder how man pre-season games he plays.
  65. R Chris Baltisberger—Energy winger, sure as hell.

LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE

JOHANSSON

10 this morning, TSN 1260. Dennis King gets the party started, then Jeff Hauser from Radio Hauser will talk NFL.  Bruce McCurdy gives us a scouting report on last night’s Rookies v. Golden Bears game and I have a couple of lines in the water for 11:25.

10-1260 via text, @Lowetide_ on twitter.

69 Responses to "SETTING FREE THE CORGI’S"

1. Pouzar says:

The Oilers have really left no stone uncovered this offseason. Very impressed by all the moves.

2. Diesel says:

If you ever want a litmus test for progressive hockey acumen in Edmonton, read the Facebook comments on official Oilers’ posts.

“A f#*$n figure skater?!?!”

3. sofapimp says:

Brian Saipe i grew up with his son Brian ran the furniture store for him . Never thought id see his name here lol small world

4. Ca$h-Money! says:

Pouzar:

Agreed. Solid, if imperfect progress.

Be prepared to get S&*T on for not lamenting that we didn’t pick Grabovski up on waivers over a year ago.

5. John Chambers says:

Pouzar,

Except, ahem, a quality 2-way centre.

6. slopitch says:

My old man always told me. “If I wanted you to play pro hockey I would have put you in figure skating and lacrosse till you were 10.” Learn to skate. Develop hand eye coordination. Play pro hockey. Its that easy right!?!?

7. 106 and 106 says:

66. C – Kevin Westgarth – Rattler of heads, keeping the peace to prevent a Zach Kassian type fiasco again. Was knocked silly by Gazdic last season.

8. Pouzar says:

John Chambers: Pouzar, Except, ahem, a quality 2-way centre.

That didn’t take long.

Just kidding 🙂

9. Jordan says:

I doubt that I am the first, and I’m sure I won’t be the last to say it:

Book it.

10. book¡je says:

My brain fog is setting in and once again all I can see are roses – every year I have this short lived period of irrational optimism. Its going to be a great season!

11. Ducey says:

book¡je:

The Oilers season is starting better than the Leaves. Last week their CEO (or whatever he is) said that some of their players put up big numbers but can’t win because they lack character.

Today, one other their assistant coaches talks about how Kessel would not do a breakout and how he was told to leave Phil alone because his job was just to score goals. Also points out he is 15 lbs overweight and hates all the coaches.

This should be fun to watch.

12. Deadman Waiting says:

Jordan: BooYa is eating The Proffesional’s lunch.

After three whole games, it appears that Neon isn’t making the adjustment to a smaller ice surface and the larger, more mature opponents. My, people eat lunch early in this neck of the woods.

That’s what Santa calls milk and cookies. “Hey, these fine people left me some lunch!” Santa’s awfully easy to please.

13. RexLibris says:

Hear hear on Eklund, Musil and Virmanen.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, life moves pretty fa-* wait, wrong line. What I meant was, those men are doing their jobs. I’d credit them with Marincin, Pelss, Gernat, Tuohimaa, Perhonen, Lander, Gustavsson, Yakimov, Slepyshev, and most other European picks since 2009. I’m excluding Paajarvi because picks in the first round are usually scouted by everyone. Klefbom I think breaks both ways in terms of credit.

It has also been said, by MacGregor I believe, that every scout tries to get eyes on every player of interest. Obviously the scouting software and video sharing helps with this.

Re: Pelletier. Just another move to strengthen their development system. Seriously, the difference from 2002 to now is just eye-popping in terms of communication, backup, support networks, coaching, and information transfer. Oilers are starting to look almost like one of the major EPL or Champions League teams in terms of player development.

14. icecastles says:

book¡je:

Of course it is! but I’ve loved every season… and I feel bad for fans of those “elite” teams: wins are so expected that they’re not so exciting when they happen. And losses are such a disappointment. As Oilers fans, the wins are SO much sweeter because we don’t have the same automatic expectation for them to win every game. This season’s going to be brilliant and awesome and fun and happy. Clap clap!

15. su_dhillon says:

“44. L Luke Gazdic—Priced right, young and clearly already a solid teammate”

solid teammate is the equivalent of “gym rat” or” trains hard” for a boxer. Anytime you see that listed as one of the qualities of a fighter you know they are basically a tomato can as the old timey guys would say. Which is exactly what Gadzic is.

One thing I wish the Oilers did more is use PTO’s and the 1yr $1 million or less deals for vets to challenge for the bottom of the roster spots, low risk moves and every year we see a handful of those guys blow it up. Even at a position where you might not have a big need, for example if you had Dustin Penner here and he started as your 4LW, that opens up a lot of flexibility and options later in season in terms of trades.

Center looks like it has chance to be good in 2 years, this year I’m scared to death.

16. leadfarmer says:

Ive been impressed at how well Gernat has been able to put on weight. He looks big. Marincin needs to eat his meals with him.

Speaking of Gernat I think he is going to be a player after he toils around several franchises and someone gets the bright idea of making him a winger.

17. hunter1909 says:

icecastles: I feel bad for fans of those “elite” teams: wins are so expected that they’re not so exciting when they happen. And losses are such a disappointment. As Oilers fans, the wins are SO much sweeter because we don’t have the same automatic expectation for them to win every game.

Vodka before noon?

Fans of winning franchises can survive the odd playoff bust performance knowing that their team is capable of returning the next season. Oilers instead, have a pair of eejits hell bent on re-creating 2006; which itself was a losing season.

18. khildahl says:

“R Tyler Pitlick—Time has come today.”

Well, I guess I’m going to have the Chambers Brothers stuck in my head all day.

19. hunter1909 says:

su_dhillon: for example if you had Dustin Penner here

In which alternative universe does Penner willingly return to Edmonton?

20. icecastles says:

hunter1909: Btw, exactly which of these post 2006 “wins” meant jack? Other than obtaining more high draft picks?

21. hunter1909 says:

book¡je: every year I have this short lived period of irrational optimism. Its going to be a great season!

Dallas”Mealy Mouth” Eakins’ coaching cured my chronic pre season optimism. I expect they’ll flounder as always, then probably draft somewhere between 7th and 10th in the 1st round.

22. Lois Lowe says:

book¡je,

So I was thinking that the parade should go down Whyte, north on 109th, cross the High Level Bridge (where it can be lit up in orange and blue) then along Jasper Ave towards Winston Churchill Square.

23. hunter1909 says:

icecastles: I honestly have no idea what you’re talking about. Who made any reference, direct or indirect, to wins meaning jack?

“and the wins are so much sweeter”

You made the reference.

24. Bar_Qu says:

book¡je,

Brain cloud

Jordan,

“Harry, I’m not arguing that. I’m not arguing that! I know he can get the job, but can he do the job?”

(I love that movie. Love it)

25. CurtisS says:

Notable lines today
    Hall-RNH-Eberle
    Pouliot-Draisaitl-Perron
    Yak-Arco-Purcell
    Hendricks-Gordon-Joensuu

Nikitin-Fayne
    Nurse-Petry
    Marincin-Schultz
    Ference-Simpson
    Aulie-Klefbom

26. su_dhillon says:

hunter1909: In which alternative universe does Penner willingly return to Edmonton?

The one where he plays hockey for money. Mike Comrie’s exit was uglier than Penners and he came back.

27. Ducey says:

Well, he is unemployed and well known for getting hungry.

28. Frank The Dog says:

John Chambers:
    Pouzar,

Except, ahem, a quality 2-way centre.

I’m pretty sure that stone was not left unturned either. No more holding the team to ransom for a pseudo whale.
    Things will look even better if we add Yak2 to Arco, Drai and Lander for the “2” and “4” C spots.

On another note, what if the TYY line (Tchak, Yak and Yak) blow the doors of in TC and pre-games?

29. raventalon40 says:

30. Frank The Dog says:

Ducey: The Oilers season is starting better than the Leaves.Last week their CEO (or whatever he is) said that some of their players put up big numbers but can’t win because they lack character.

Today, one other their assistant coaches talks about how Kessel would not do a breakout and how he was told to leave Phil alone because his job was just to score goals.Also points out he is 15 lbs overweight and hates all the coaches.

This should be fun to watch.

*We should send them Bucky to help with their turnaround.

31. rickithebear says:

Jesus. H ……………… screw off…………….people.

since turn of century.

#7 RNH 0.84 (18) C
    #7 Toews 0.84 (19) C
    #9 Kovalchuck 0.83 (19)
    #10 Kovalchuck 0.78 (18)
    #11 Mckinnon 0.77 (18) W
    #11 Skinner 0.77(18) RW

2nd best 18 year Season pt and PPG for centers.

His terrible year last year was the 11th best U24 seasons for forward.

The second best U21 season last year.

People are just clueless!

32. Frank The Dog says:

In which alternate universe does MacT or Eakins want a player like Penner on their team?
    Penner coming here under any circumstances does not happen in either universe.

33. Doug McLachlan says:

Ryan Rushaug was suggesting that The Professional’s Joe Thornton routine could mesh nicely with Yak City’s cannon. If they find that elusive chemistry during camp would Eakins feel that Pouliot, Perron or Hendricks be the right defensive conscious for that pairing?

34. Pouzar says:

raventalon40: Why does Eakins refuse to play Perron and Yakupov on their natural sides? I mean, both Pouliot and Purcell have shown they can play either wing

They both prefer playing the off wing.

35. Pouzar says:

rickithebear: Jesus. H ……………… screw off…………….people.since turn of century.top teen point seasons.1& 2 Crosby#16 RNH 52 PT age 18top 18 year seasons#1 Crosby 102 C#2 Mckinnon 63 W#2 Skinner 63 RW#4 RNH 52 CTop PPG Seaso#1 Crosby 1.52 (19) C#2 Cosby 1.26 (18)#3 Stamkos 1.16 (19) C#4 Kane 0.88 (19) RW#5 Gaborik 0.86 (19) RW#6 Kopitar 0.85 (19) C#7 RNH 0.84 (18) C#7 Toews 0.84 (19) C#9 Kovalchuck 0.83 (19)#10 Kovalchuck 0.78 (18)#11 Mckinnon 0.77 (18) W#11 Skinner 0.77(18) RW2nd best 18 year Season pt and PPG for centers.His terrible year last year was the 11th best U24 seasons for forward.The second best U21 season last year.People are just clueless!

love me some RTB!

56 pts for a 20 yr old first line center on a train wreck of a team. Trade his a$$ now!

36. raventalon40 says:

Pouzar: They both prefer playing the off wing.

37. Younger Oil says:

Here are the lineups for the 3 training camp “teams”:

I don’t know if it was intended, but the lineups are very uneven (Team Kurri seems miles behind the other two).

Tkachev also gets split up from the players he showed great chemistry with and is placed on the RW with Williams and Winqvist.

38. OilCanFan says:

“C Ryan Nugent-Hopkins—Jesus H. he gets disrespected by people. Screw off, you disrespecting people.” – Lowetide

Love that line…and agree 100%

39. Frank The Dog says:

raventalon40: Yes… I know this. Which is why I am wondering why he has Perron slotted as RW and Yakupov slotted as LW.

Because Eakins.
    Okay, perhaps, because Ramsay.

40. Lois Lowe says:

raventalon40,

I thought I read/heard recently that Ramsay prefers to have the wingers not play the offside.

41. Frank The Dog says:

Younger Oil:
    Here are the lineups for the 3 training camp “teams”:

Looks like they may have gone with lines 1/4/7/10, 2/5/8/11, and 3/6/9/12.

42. CurtisS says:

Now im not a big fan of Eakins but to blame him on Yak and Perron playing natural wings, is a little unfair.

KHL Yak started on left and finished on right, having sucess at both
    Krueger kept Yak on right.
    Eakins played Yak both left and right last year, trying to make him click

Perron in St Louis and Oilers has played both sides, and has had succes on both wings.

Dam Eakins!!!!

43. Ryan says:

Younger Oil:
    Here are the lineups for the 3 training camp “teams”:

I always found the training camp line combinations interesting since it gives us some insight into how they feel about different players.

TEAM GRETZKY

Forward Lines:

Hall-Nugent-Hopkins-Eberle – 1line, duh.

Hendricks-Gordon-Joensuu – trial Chicago 4line.

K. Jones-C. Jones-Ford

Kessy-Ewanyk-Holmberg

Westgarth

Defensive Pairings:

Nikitin-Fayne – the putative Oilers top pairing.

Aulie-Klefbom – Aulie vs Kelfbom

Hunt-Gernat

Goaltenders:

Scrivens

Fasth

TEAM MESSIER

Forward Lines:

Pouliot-Draisaitl-Perron – trial 2nd line centre. nice wingers.

R. Hamilton-Acton-Pitlick

Roy-Yakimov-Chase

Moroz-Khaira-Baltisberger

Krushelnyski

Defensive Pairings:

Nurse-Petry – “Jeff, if you teach him quickly, we’ll pull the trigger on that trade to an EC team you wanted.”

Marincin-Schultz – Marincin, welcome to life without Petry.

Craig-Betker

Boland

Goaltenders:

Brossoit

Rimmer

Bouchard

44. Pouzar says:

Then you know they played their “unnatural” wings last year as well. 🙂

45. Jordan says:

Deadman Waiting: After three whole games, it appears that Neon isn’t making the adjustment to a smaller ice surface and the larger, more mature opponents.My, people eat lunch early in this neck of the woods.

That’s what Santa calls milk and cookies.“Hey, these fine people left me some lunch!” Santa’s awfully easy to please.

I greatly appreciate your witty and humourous response. This does not affect my belief that you are off your rocker on your assessment.

Leon should already be adjusted to the NHL ice surface. As a WHL draftee, it’s what he spent the last year skating on. BooYa on the other hand was on international ice all last year. So, if there were any adjusting to be done, it would be him.

Both are playing well, which is good, but in my viewings, I think BooYa has been the better player. Now, while comparing the Rookie Camp to milk and cookies is fair when compared to NHL Camp, BooYa came away with the most milk and cookies.

Actual assessment of both players has one ahead of the other.

Now, maybe the Oilers have already made their decision, and Leon is getting his 9+ games no matter what. But if we are looking at this as thoughtful observers of the game, I think that Leon is not as good a bet right now to fill that centre hole as effectively right now.

He may be a better bet than BooYa at some point. But that time is not right now. If this team is actually looking to make progress this year, I really have to question not making use of all the assets this team has to do so.

MacT seeing BooYa with all the cookies, taking some from him to give to Leon? Poor performance management.

46. Chunklets says:

On the subject of the scouting of Yakimov, I wonder a little bit whether the Oil got some inside help on that one from Rail Yakupov (Nail’s dad). Iirc, Yakimov was a student at the elder Yakupov’s hockey school in Nizhnekamsk.

47. raventalon40 says:

Lois Lowe:
    raventalon40,

Danke schoen

48. raventalon40 says:

CurtisS:

KHL Yak started on left and finished on right, having sucess at both
    Krueger kept Yak on right.
    Eakins played Yak both left and right last year, trying to make him click

Dam Eakins!!!!

Answer below

Pouzar: Then you know they played their “unnatural” wings last year as well.

That’s what I’m referring to. I feel as if trying to get a guy to learn to play on his off wing while trying to teach him new systems is asking a bit much, especially if he had a measure of success the season previous, I think is unreasonable.

Perron is probably one of those guys who can play on both wings. But most people, I’m sure would agree, prefer a certain side. Even if they say “sure, stick me anywhere in the lineup I just want to play,” they still have a side they play better on.

49. HeavySig says:

Younger Oil:
    …SNIP…

Unlike, LTP, Tkachev isn’t pencilled into a top six and will have to do more to prove himself. That likely means that Tkachev is going to be challenged to work with lesser skilled teammates in camp and afterwards (if he gets a contract).

50. bendelson says:

Jordan: I doubt that I am the first, and I’m sure I won’t be the last to say it:BooYa is eating The Proffesional’s lunch. Very much looking forwards to him killing it in camp, and winning the 2C job.Book it.

Hmmm.

1) I don’t think ‘eating his lunch’ means what you think it means…

or perhaps…

2) If you truly think Yakimov has ‘eaten Leon’s lunch’ I’m afriad you Jordan, are likely ‘out to lunch’.

They both impressed at rookie camp.
    Neither player has ‘dominated’ the other.

Now, off to day one of training camp for the both of them.

51. hunter1909 says:

raventalon40: Danke schoen

Once he’s successful, everyone can show their fealty to Leon by posting in German.

Lowetide spells great with those little germanic dots over the “o”.

On Topic: Taylor Hall is going to be the West’s MVP in 2014-15.

52. stevezie says:

hunter1909,

Your post was pretty aggressive for a joke… was it performance art? Are you playing a character?

53. RexLibris says:

Ryan,

Yikes.

Kurri’s team got the short end there.

The other two you can kind of see some semblance of tit-for-tat in making up the teams, but the third squad is just all over the place. The top defenseman for the team is Ference paired with Simpson.

54. hunter1909 says:

stevezie: Are you joking by pretending to take a joke seriously, or did you seriously think that Ice pities fans of winning teams?

Lots of questions, assumptions, and thinly veiled contempt from Stevezie today.

55. Gerta Rauss says:

Gene Principe ✔ @GenePrincipe
    “We have 2 NHL centreman and I’m not sure who the other one’s will be.” Dallas Eakins on Oilers centre situation.

I’m encouraged that both Eakins and MacT have commented on this in the previous few days, so they see what we see.

/deadhorsebeaten

I’m glad no stone has been left unturned this summer. Means less work when it comes time to begin throwing them….at you know who! -).

57. Ca$h-Money! says:

godot10:
    I’m glad no stone has been left unturned this summer.Means less work when it comes time to begin throwing them….at you know who! -).

Tambo?

58. G Money says:

stevezie: Are you playing a character?

Whaaaaat? Are you saying hunter is *not* a character?!?!

I just assumed that both he and godot were auto-posting-bots left behind by Dee Ess Eff to free him up to write his own blog.

3 Things

1) I like the lines. A German between two Frenchmen. C’mon people. Smile on your brother. Everybody get together try to love one another right now.

Seriously, they love DrySaddle, to give him those two wingers.

I think the lines and pairings are well thought out. Good stuff.

2) Stick on the boards is fine, relax about it. I can see why coaches want sticks on the boards in dzone. Much easier to
    get the puck out and make and accurate pass.

Gord knows these guys need to break out of their zone 78.56% better than last year.

If the players like to shoot from their off wing they can cross or switch in the ozone, no big deal.

Eakins even said as much last year. Its for the dzone, they can switch in the ozone if they want.

3) Sean McIndoe (downgoesbrown) absolutely crushed one out of the park today. Great piece.

60. Frank The Dog says:

RexLibris:
    Ryan,

Yikes.

Kurri’s team got the short end there.

Kurrie’s team got lines 3,6,9 and 12.

61. russ99 says:

Hate the lines.

In the West we’ll get eaten for lunch if we spread our skill and size across all 4 lines like that, and putting Yak where he is is just horrid, makes me think nothing’s changed from last year with Eakins.

62. nycoil says:

I posted this the other night in the Hart Target: Waiver Wire thread, but was pretty late at night. Maybe worth keeping an eye out to see who Draisaitl and Yakupov, in particular see as line mates as camp progresses. We may get a clue as to the pairs the coaches like:

People have talked about pairs of forwards rather than lines. Any way that we can arrange pairs of forwards in a way that gets us to a reasonable position using only the pieces available to the team now?

For example:
    At home where Eakins can line match better
    Pair 1) Hall and Nuge
    Pair 2) Eberle and Arcobello
    Pair 3) Yak and Draisaitl
    Pair 4) Hendricks and Gordon
    Line 1) Hall and Nuge and Perron/Purcell (power vs. power, 18 mins a night)
    Line 2) Eberle and Arcobello and Purcell/Perron (soft minutes, 16 mins a night)
    Line 3) Yakupov and Draisaitl and Pouliot (even softer minutes, 12 mins a night)
    Line 4) Hendricks and Gordon and Lander/Pitlick/Joensuu (nothing but D-zone starts, 14 mins a night)

On the road where Yak and Drai need sheltering
    Pair 1) Hall and Nuge
    Pair 2) Drai and Perron
    Pair 3) Yak and Pouliot
    Pair 4) Hendricks and Gordon
    Line 1) Hall and Nuge and Purcell (power vs. power, but with some veteran presence)
    Line 2) Perron and Draisaitl and Eberle (softer minutes, admittedly dependent on Eberle’s growth as a 2-way winger)
    Line 3) Pouliot and Arcobello and Yakupov (softest minutes that can be found)
    Line 4) Hendricks and Gordon and Lander/Pitlick (uphill battle)

Is that acceptable? Could the Oilers compete with something like that?
    Feel free to rearrange as you like.

63. RexLibris says:

Woodguy,

Very good read.

Thanks for that.

64. nycoil says:

RexLibris:
    Woodguy,

Very good read.

Thanks for that.

Grantland is the best sports blog out there, in my opinion. The best hockey blog is this one right here, even though the blogger sometimes posts at “that annoyingly clickbaity website,” as the post Woodguy linked suggests. Slideshows! Damn it! 😉 As people who understand how the internet advertising game works, it’s just so annoying to be suckered into it, even while knowing full well what you are doing. It is what it is, I guess. And LT’s slideshows are the only ones I ever click!

65. G Money says:

Jordan: Leon should already be adjusted to the NHL ice surface.

Interestingly, if you’re going to make assessments about the relative success of the players based on last night’s game, you do have to account for the fact that it was a non-standard (196 ft, smaller than regulation) ice surface. You could see the difference that made in the defensive and offensive structures. Huge home ice advantage for Da Bears too.

You also have to account for the fact that some members of the team (e.g. Vladdy Hockey) were playing their fourth game in six nights.

Three games is a small sample for player assessment.
    Three games in the same tournament is a small sample in both games and in time.
    Three games in the “young star” format is a sample game sample, small time sample, and a highly artificial situation.

The assessment you get from the tournament is therefore at a very coarse level (seen ‘im good, indifferent, or bad is about as detailed as it’s going to get).

66. G Money says:

russ99: and putting Yak where he is is just horrid

Yak playing like a true 1OV elite scorer is a fundamental requirement for future success for the Edmonton Oilers. He is 1/4 (Hall, RNH, and Dr. Drai being the other 3/4) of the payoff for seemingly unending suckage.

This year, his two and a halfth year in the league, Yak needs to find his range. He needs to take steps to becoming that consistently elite scorer. He needs to do it without having to be overly sheltered, which means lines 1 or 2.

If that doesn’t happen, then it truly is a worst-case scenario: the Flames rebuild will actually be on par or ahead of the Oiler rebuild.

Must not happen.

67. commonfan14 says:

nycoil: Grantland is the best sports blog out there, in my opinion.

Very bizarre that they recently did away with comment sections at the end of their stories though.

Guess it got too nasty for them.

68. Numenius says:

Woodguy:

Yes, very nice read.

get the puck out and make and accurate pass.

Eakins talked about this in his interview today, saying it’s for puck protection/possession reasons. Guys in today’s NHL close on you so fast, that if the stick is on the inside, it’s very difficult to protect the puck.

Not that he’s closed to putting people on their off-wing.

Makes perfect sense to me.

And as you said, they can switch sides in the offensive zone.

69. jake70 says:

Speaking of Corgis, and may be already mentioned but Tyler Dellow and that other analytics guy in TO are on Sportsnet right now……on the special hosted by Marek….