It was quite the day for the Edmonton Oilers. The slow news days that run one on top of the other during summer gave way to a watershed this afternoon, as microphones picked up some stunning words in unusual order.
- Martin Marincin is 203 pounds, up 15 from the spring. He’s apparently still mobile and that’s a good thing. It’s important that he retains his foot speed in this effort to ‘get the Slovak pencils bigger’ plan by the Oilers.
- Dallas Eakins: “We have two NHL centre men right now, and I have no idea who the other two will be.” I thought he might mention Arcobello, but instead it sounds like this contest is wide open. More on that in a minute.
- Dallas Eakins said expectations of Nail Yakupov were too high last year.
- Ryan Nugent-Hopkins was 164 pounds on draft day. 190 today. Those aren’t the numbers people should be paying attention to, but the world is a strange place.
As much as we can read anything into the lines and pairings, I do think there are some young men who are getting a push from the Oilers this camp.
- Hall-Nugent-Hopkins-Eberle. Makes too much sense. Write this line in ink all 82 games.
- Pouliot-Draisaitl-Perron. Leon gets the major push among forwards, and the two wingers are a nice match. Cycle? Control? Protect? Yes.
- Yakupov-Arcobello-Purcell. Solid line, I like Arco for this job miles more than anyone else on the roster.
- Hendricks-Gordon-Joensuu. A-ha! The Finn gets the push. Interesting. Stay healthy, Jesse!
- Pakarinen-Lander-Pinizzotto. This line contains three fringe NHLers, so I think it’s the 5line.
- R. Hamilton-Acton-Pitlick. Uneasy news for Pitlick, this is an AHL line and he’s on it.
- Roy-Yakimov-Chase. Big Russian gets two interesting junior wingers to start.
- Winqvist-Williams-Tkachev. Interesting trio, Williams could be important to development in OKC.
- K. Jones-C. Jones-Ford. This could be the third line in OKC.
- C. Hamilton-Platzer-Miller. The hodge podge line.
- Moroz-Khaira-Baltisberger. Khaira and Moroz don’t get an early push. A little surprised Moroz is here.
- Kessy-Ewanyk-Holmberg. Another possible OKC trio.
- Nikitin-Fayne. It makes sense the two new actual NHLers would start together.
- Marincin-Schultz. They had great chem in OKC during the lockout.
- Nurse-Petry. A big push for Nurse, man that’s some action there. Good for him, hope he runs with it.
- Ference-Simpson. Another push, this time for Simpson. I hadn’t expected this.
- Aulie-Klefbom. The No. 7 and No. 8 blue entering camp, that’s my guess.
- Musil-Rowley. Musil has improved his foot speed, it’ll be fun to see him in pre-season.
- Hunt-Gernat. Gernat was poor in TC, Hunt’s a riverboat gambler.
- Oesterle-Ludwig. Not much to say, they’re minor league bound.
- Craig-Betker. Last rung on the ladder.
If you’re Leon Draisaitl, Darnell Nurse and Dillon Simpson this is a good day. (Photo by Rob Ferguson, all rights reserved)