EVERYBODY’S GRETZKY (2014 EDITION)

We can NOT help ourselves. The Edmonton Oilers are the opium of the settlers in this part of the Hinterland. We bitch and moan ALL spring and summer about the collective failings of the good ship Oiler, firm in our belief the team’s management can’t tie their shoes.

Come the first open scrimmage? Everybody’s Gretzky!

ANOTHER GREAT DAY!

• Benoit Pouliot on Leon Draisaitl: “He’s looking good, he’s slick. He’s a big centreman and in this league you need big centres. I think he can do the job. The way he played today, he’s only 18. You don’t want to put too much pressure on the guy, just let him play. Today was exactly that, he put a lot of pressure on their D and he played very well. It’s just a matter of getting comfortable and he’ll be perfect, he’ll be fine.” Source (Chris Westcott)

It’s day one. IF he’s doing this in the final pre-season tune up, then we have a story. Do you REMEMBER the final pre-season tune up a year ago?

THE LINEUP IN LAST FALL’S FINAL PRE-SEASON GAME

• L1: Smyth—Hall—Hemsky
  • L2: Perron—Gordon—Yakupov
  • L3: Joensuu—Arcobello—Eberle
  • L4: R Hamilton—Acton—Eager
  • D1: Smid—Petry
  • D2: Ference—J Schultz
  • D3: Belov—Larsen
  • G1: Dubnyk (LaBarbera)

All of the men listed here played for the Oilers during the last pre-season game one year ago. The game day thread is here. Some comments from you during and after the game:

• Andropod: Seems we fielded our regular team alright. Long season ahead.
  • Gret99zky: The planets will need to align the shit out of each other for this team to make the playoffs.
  • Rex Libris: I decided to pick at an infected hangnail with a rusty oyster shucker tonight rather than watch the game. Did I miss anything?
  • Dallas Eakins: “Hey it’s good that it happened. It’s good to let our team know that our diapers do stink. That’s not going to happen again. I let the players know that that’s their free pass. If this was October 1st, I would have shortened that bench down fast and the guys who weren’t doing what was being asked of them would have been on the bench. But.. that’s their free one, and sometimes it’s good you get a good kick in the butt leading into the season.”
  • Rom: For those of you considering freaking out, I just want to remind you that the only thing that matters is Gord.
  • Just Do It: Well this is one time that having sucky internet at a hotel doesn’t bother me that much. It seems I’m only missing a horrible stream anyway, and now SMac is hurt. Ooh – Breaking Bad reruns are on!

Neal Livingston’s postgame is a fun read one year later.

oilers young stars 1I think Leon makes the team, and I really like the idea of Pouliot and Perron as his linemates. Nail Yakupov is the odd man out here, and if he doesn’t get power-play time we shouldn’t expect a big season. That’s not a bad thing, and Arcobello/Purcell as linemates isn’t a 4line combo, but that’s certainly the 3line as we begin proceedings. The No. 3 pick in 2014 is getting a bigger push than the No. 1 pick in 2012. I’m not saying it’s wrong, but someone should mention it, so we are here.

almeida tcI think that’s the right attitude. Great day by the German, let’s remember it’s D1 TC. If he can do good things during the final game of pre-season, and in G10, and G20, then we can unleash the hounds of happiness. Until then, we have to be reasonable.

OR, Everybody’s Gretzky. As you wish.

60 Responses to "EVERYBODY’S GRETZKY (2014 EDITION)"

1. speeds says:

If you were MacT, how much would you be willing to pay Marincin, today, on a 5 year deal?

2. Backhand says:

speeds:

3.5 mil? Doubt that gets it done though. A risk for both sides, and everybody hates risk these days.

speeds:

4. Younger Oil says:

speeds:

Today, I would give him something in the $3M range, but if he improves his offensive numbers and gets 25-30 points, while playing the same way as last year, I would be thrilled to give him the Josi contract (7 years @ $4M per).

5. Frank The Dog says:

Yak’s job is now to play his way up to Dry Saddle. In the meantime what a nice big line.

Anyone know how badly Petry’s shoulder is injured? Is he out for the season?

6. Stanley 2018 says:

A reasonable man would say $2.75MM 2yr bridge contract, then pay big if he earns it.
    If I’m a Player Agent, I want $6MM/yr for 5yrs or my client won’t play! Good on John Davidson, wish MacT would have taken that stance on JSchultz.

Frank The Dog:

Anyone know how badly Petry’s shoulder is injured? Is he out for the season?

Petry apparently tweaked it, but Dallas Eakins says it isn’t serious.

8. RexLibris says:

Come the first open scrimmage? Everbody’s Gretzky!

Ahem.

Anyway, optimism reigns supreme right now, regardless of the area code.

9. Braden88 says:

10. RexLibris says:

Braden88: all these up arrows are just grains of salt. but you get enough of those over the coarse of training camp and you got yourself a well seasoned oilers team!

…grains of salt…coarse of training camp…

hehehe

speeds:

That is poor strategic cap planning. You are buying only one UFA year there, and letting it expire when he is 28, at the peak of his career, and one is looking at having to buy years to their mid-thirties.

For most players, you want the bridge contract, to take them to 24-25, and then sign a five or six year deal to take them over the peak years of their career and have it expire when they are 30-31. You have 2 RFA years and the fact that they are not yet at the peak of their careers to suppress the AAV.

If you are then negotiating at 30-31, you have a better idea at how the playing is aging. Whether they are aging well or poorly.

i.e. go the bridge route, then one is typically negotiating when the player is 24-25 and 30-31.

12. G Money says:

“Do you REMEMBER the final pre-season tune up a year ago?”

Blocked it out. Why, is it relevant? :-S

More importantly: in three days we’ll be able to say

Do you remember
    The twenty first day
    of September

/ear-thwindandfire-worm

13. speeds says:

godot10,

Yup, I get what you’re saying, and I think there’s merit to that approach, with the caveat that it’s situational. I kind of pulled 5 years out of the air for the purposes of that quick post, as a compromise to EDM’s potential outlook and Marincin’s, but one can make some sort of case for shorter or longer depending on the money.

What I’m thinking, specifically with Marincin, is that he has not seen a lot of money at this point in his career. And that would still be true that if you signed him to a 2 year bridge deal prior to his 3rd year, ala Couturier. However, at that point he has arb rights and is 2 years from UFA.

He might not be willing to go 8 years now, but could well look at 5 thinking that enough to secure him for life, and then worry about maximizing money after that.

I think EDM is in an interesting position to gamble on Marincin now, before he’s made any serious money and before his track record (hopefully) looks really good, playing his price up.

I also think that you’re right that covering the heart of the career is ideal, but it does carry some risk if you bridge him to a 2 year deal now and, once that contract is up, he either starts angling for UFA in 2020, or has shown enough to be worth a big raise.

14. hunter1909 says:

Frank The Dog: Yak’s job is now to play his way up to Dry Saddle.

Yak stuck with plugs lol

15. Ryan says:

speeds,

I think you’re definitely on the right track. However, the Oilers like Klefbomb more per LT.

We can hope Dellow sets Mact straight.

16. Ryan says:

Frank The Dog:

Anyone know how badly Petry’s shoulder is injured? Is he out for the season?

If Petry’s out for the season, that would be brilliant. We’d all see the genius of Mact’s contract as our best defenseman rides off into the sunset towards free agency as we get zero in return.

17. Ryan says:

G Money,

I make a habit of going to g1 for the oilers. Not so much after that.

18. Ryan says:

RexLibris,

Is that why you think RNH is > Tyler Seguin? Really?

19. MrDooman says:

You realize you spelt ‘EVERYBODY’ wrong twice in a row Lowetide? (The title and the first line)

MrDooman:

What the hell are you talking about?

21. Ryan says:

MrDooman,

Everyody, it’s kinda a new thing, right?

22. Pouzar says:

What’s with the signing MM long term talk? You guys are only figuring out this now?
    Sign him now b/c he will be our best d-man for the foreseeable future.

23. Marcus Oilerius says:

If Yakupov doesn’t get powerplay time and featured time on a scoring line, I think we’re heading for a disaster. He’ll still want a significant contract and blame the team for lack of opportunity. His trade value will be low. It’ll be a no-win.

24. Ryan says:

Lowetide: What the hell are you talking about?

Alright. Rexlibris is an awesome contributor here.

But… Who do you take right now today… Rnh or Seguin?

25. Bruce McCurdy says:

RexLibris: To be fair, though, I spent some time visiting the FN practice live blog and there was a fair bit of that going on down there (obviously without the Great One references because THEY NEVER HAD ONE MUWHAHAHAHAH!)

Nicely played. MUWHAHAHAHAH! indeed.

hunter1909: Marincin is an absolute gem of a hockey player. Lombardi’s already faxing offers.

I saw Marincin good today. Looked very composed. He’s definitely thicker, had the look of an old pro.

26. slopitch says:

I like the idea of marincin 4 years at 2.5 per. Could be a real bargain. I believe he’d have 1 year left as wellto lock him up.

I still think Klefbom makes it and Petry goes to NYI or Philly in the next 3 weeks. But what do I know 🙂 I’m cheering like heck for Drai but I kinda hope he gets one more year of junior (with Nurse) and 2015-2018 becomes the window.

Ryan: Alright.Rexlibris is an awesome contributor here.

But…Who do you take right now today… Rnh or Seguin?

I guess I’m old fashioned. Nuge is 21, three years after the draft. In two years, we can discuss these things, but Seguins 2013-14 clouds our view and we haven’t seen Nuge’s 2013-14 (which is this coming season).

I just refuse to bury Nuge for no reason. There aren’t any, folks.

28. Ryan says:

Don’t get me wrong, I am a huge fan of the Nuge. 🙂

Credit where credit is due… The last time I looked at the extra skater card of Seguin, it was impressive. He carried a raw rookie in nichushkin and still got the Corgis to sing.

The discussion was from a previous thread here.

29. bendelson says:

“Nail Yakupov is the odd man out here, and if he doesn’t get power-play time we shouldn’t expect a big season.”

No role for Nail v2.0?

Say it ain’t so LT.

Andy Strickland @andystrickland · 12m
    Ryan Reaves finishes 1st in strength testing. Magnus Paajarvi shows huge improvement. Goes from 190 to 212 lbs with 8% body fat #stlblues

Now he’s the Ultra Magnus

Woodguy:
    Andy Strickland @andystrickland·12m

Now he’s the Ultra Magnus

Ryan:

Don’t get me wrong, I am a huge fan of the Nuge.:)

Credit where credit is due…The last time I looked at the extra skater card of Seguin, it was impressive.He carried a raw rookie in nichushkin and still got the Corgis to sing.

The discussion was from a previous thread here.

Yeah, I hear you. Seguin is impressive, and should have a terrific career.

33. Ryan says:

You know what… We need to know if dry saddle is ready for the nhl… Why not feed him a solid diet of RNh/hall/Eberle to find out?

34. Doug McLachlan says:

bendelson:

No role for Nail v2.0?

Say it ain’t so LT.

This year it looks like Arco and Purcell. I would love him to be paired with who we hope Leon will be two years from now but I don’t have a Tardis. I still feel that Arco has more offensive potential than Gordon did at this time last year.

How is this holding Yak City back?

35. Ryan says:

Ryan:
    You know what… We need to know if dry saddle is ready for the nhl…Why not feed him a solid diet of RNh/hall/Eberle to find out?

Okay boys, I’m out for the night.

You have to admit, that’s one hell of a litmus test…

36. sliderule says:

The oilers only hope for playoffs is Nail.

If you add up all the goals scored for oiler players who played in Nhl last year it’s 185.Thats all she wrote folks.

Then you add in the latest wonder kid Leon and optimistically give him 15 goals.Now you are up to 200 goals..

If you assume the oilers goalies and improved defence are going to reduce the GA to 230 they are still screwed.No one from west made playoffs without a positive goal difference.This is math that you don’t need analytics to figure out.

The oilers roster other than Yak does not have the potential to improve all that much.Some will score more some less.

If you assume there will be a few goals scored by guys like Marincin and call ups they still will need another 20 to 30 goals to get a positive differential.

So there it is Yak will have to get 30 to 35 goals if Oil are to have a sniff at playoffs..

37. OilClog says:

Purcell played with Stamkos and did just fine not being the trigger man.

Arco is a play creator, he goes in the spots you wouldn’t expect and gets the puck out.

Yak is a trigger man.

Seems like a solid line to me.

Also, Yak and SaddleBurn play two different positions with two different positions of strength on the team depth charts. So I don’t think it’s so much a push over Yak as it is protecting the rookie.

38. bendelson says:

Doug McLachlan: Last year they put Nail with Gordon and Perron – to put a defensive conscious with Nail.

How is this holding Yak City back?

They need a happy Yak.
    3rd line minutes and no PP push sounds like an unhappy Yak.
    Just a guess.

39. raventalon40 says:

OilClog:
    Purcell played with Stamkos and did just fine not being the trigger man.

Yak is a trigger man.

Seems like a solid line to me.

I still believe the line would have to be Purcell-Arco-Yak, and not the other way around. Get Yak on his one-time side and sit him down to watch twenty minutes of Kovalchuk video a night.

(I only pick Kovie over Ovie because Kovie seems to have a better defensive rep than Alex)

40. MrEd says:

I lurk here at Lowetide. I love this site. Full stop:)
    That Marincin is showing well makes me happy. It’s interesting how draft pedigree (rather than what’s apparent) seems to influence our evaluation. i’m thinking Martin is the deal. Cool is cool. Maybe that Jultz(Jesus) had a good day shouldn’t be surprising given his partner.

I think RNH is a stud. Not in a traditional way though. That he wants D-zone starts this year is the bit that has finally tipped me.

41. RexLibris says:

Ryan:
    RexLibris,

Is that why you think RNH is > Tyler Seguin?Really?

Okay, I’m tired I’ll give you that, but refresh my memory, what constitutes the “why” of your sentence here?

Its Friday and the grey matter ain’t what it was five days ago.

Suffice to say, from what I’ve seen so far, Nugent-Hopkins plays tougher opponents, with roughly the same ZS treatment and has played on a much worse team from day one.

Seguin is a more dynamic offensive force, but Nugent-Hopkins already has a highly developed game that has tremendous value for a team.

I think we’re kind of comparing apples and not-apples here, though.

The original point was about 1st line centers, and each team can only have one.

42. Aitch says:

Of course everyone looked good today. They were playing against the Oilers.

MrEd:
    I lurk here at Lowetide.I love this site.Full stop:)
    That Marincin is showing well makes me happy.It’s interesting how draft pedigree (rather than what’s apparent) seems to influence our evaluation.i’m thinking Martin is the deal. Cool is cool.Maybe that Jultz(Jesus) had a good day shouldn’t be surprising given his partner.

Welcome! Mr. Ed was one of the first shows I can remember looking forward to and watching. My Grandma and I laughed and laughed.

44. supernova says:

Lowetide: Hmmm. The first thought I had was Jared Cowen (four years times $3.1M). I’d do that deal, but really like Marincin, so…

godot10,

speeds,

You guys are crazy.

I actually agree with Godot here ( I have had many cap management disagreements with him)

I don’t know why in the world you would ever even offer 5 unless it was extremely low. Like $2 million.

For all the slack the Oilers took over the Schultz contract you have way more risk of error on a Marincin long term deal when the most games played at that point would be under 130.

Now I am not saying he won’t be a better D man then Schultz but to make a long term decision that early has lots of risk and also doesn’t maximize bargaining power.

I like Marty a lot but he is the ideal candidate to rake over the coals on a value contract. Unless Marty goes real low on a long term deal you take it 1 year at a time for the next few seasons.

Because you can.

45. RexLibris says:

Uh oh, LT. Looks like Putin’s coming after your shadow .ru blog, the one that ran the article today “Everybody’s Tretiak!”

Time to move your server to somewhere neutral. Botswana, perhaps? Isle of Man?

46. Frank The Dog says:

Tomorrow’s scrimmage between the HNE and PDP lines will be a big tell for our season going forward. If PDP gives HNE fits then that will bode well.

First serious test for Drai. Then it’s Hall vs Pouliot and Ebs vs Perron.

47. Bank Shot says:

supernova: godot10,

speeds,

You guys are crazy.

I like Marty a lot but he is the ideal candidate to rake over the coals on a value contract.Unless Marty goes real low on a long term deal you take it 1 year at a time for the next few seasons.

Because you can.

I agree with this. You can probably get Marincin signed for the next 2-3 years under $2 then still get the $3-3.5 X 4-5 contract.

48. rickithebear says:

supernova: Marincin’s skill set at 130 games played will most likely be also easier to replace than Schultz.

Schultz’s average 3.27 EVGA/60 cannot be replaced by 10 Dmen. leaving 210 better than him annually.

For defencman
    yo know !
    who defend the net!

49. rickithebear says:

MrEd:
    I lurk here at Lowetide.I love this site.Full stop:)

2nd best 18 yr season since turn of century.

Phase 1 part 1 age 18 – 20
    Phase 1 part 2 age 21-23
    Phase 2 part 1 age 24-26
    Phase 2 part 2 age 27 – 30
    Phase 3 part 1 age 31-33

His 18-20 year pace is in the #10-#18 group.
    B. Richards,
    Lecavalier
    Bergeron
    Gaborik
    Tavares
    Duschene
    Hall
    RNH
    Mckinnon
    the injury at 19 set him back.

A healthy RNH running P v P at the end of the year.
    13GM 4G 8A +5 .92 PPG against the best ofn the west.
    would be the natural progression

50. jake70 says:

Lowetide: I hope he scores the SC winning goal. I’ll have a beer, and then I’ll have another!

You know who is going to assist on that goal don’t you? the 2014 2nd rounder picked 33rd overall 🙂

51. anonymous says:

bendelson: They need a happy Yak.
    3rd line minutes and no PP push sounds like an unhappy Yak.
    Just a guess.

Put on the third line with another player (Arco) that Eakins had no time for last season says to me that nothing’s changed. Especially considering Arco isn’t an NHL centre and the fourth line has the only other NHL centre.

I could have got behind the reasoning that Yak had to earn it more than the previous wonder kids due to depth but now it looks like Draisatl is getting the same treatment.

52. Dicky94 says:

I still think Mac T makes a trade for a centre even if it looks like Leon is doing well at the #2 spot. Arco could be part of the package heading the other way with a d man. Can’t see them giving it to Bogs even if he plays well in the pre season. Need a guy with a few seasons under his belt.

53. book¡je says:

Everything is awesome!

What could go wrong?

54. supernova says:

rickithebear: Marincins ability to keep shots in the below league average range at 41 games can only be replaced by Chara and Lovejoy!

Schultz’s average 3.27 EVGA/60cannot be replaced by 10 Dmen. leaving 210 better than him annually.

For defencman
    yo know !
    who defend the net!

rickithebear,

I stated different skill sets and sample size.

Marty hasn’t played enough games to put him in the same category as a Chara.

Through their first 40 games which Defenceman has more points Marincin or Schultz?

Yes I want 6 (7) Defenceman that can defend, and Schultz has oodles of room to grow but I also want a D man or two that adds skill to the power play unit and a threat as a extra attacker on 5×5.

I was not attacking Marincin just stating he needs more games played before the offer of a long term contract.

55. rickithebear says:

supernova: rickithebear,

I stated different skill sets and sample size.

Marty hasn’t played enough games to put him in the same category as a Chara.

The stupid cap game is paying a dman for a tonne of points on the PP.
    when the results are average or below.
    I am talking give up and get.

Remember what ramsay said. transition and support.
    Not out of position and distort.

56. TheOtherJohn says:

Beauty of the preseason is that the optimist runs wild. Even amongst pretty even keel commenters.

Delighted LD had a good first day. Wondered who he was playing against because he was playing with 2 of the Oiler top 5 wingers. I assume one of the reasons analytics uses Quality of teammates ans quality of competition is to put that those type of performances in perspective. Sure hope Pouliot is saying same thing in regular season game #25

As to Nuge he is just a fine player. Smart, responsible, balanced. But everybody keeps referring to his 18 yr old season which was largely driven by 5×4 scoring that has not been replicated in the 2 years since. He also plays with excellent line mates. Not good line mates like Daisatl is playing w in camp. Excellent linemates

Sequin was 4th in NHL scoring also playing with 1 elite player on his wing. First time he played 1C minutes. That is impressive

If Marincin plays this year like he did last year I’d play hhim like a good 2nd pairing D. Maybe not Nikitan $$ but I’d still pay him good money & early.

Back to your unbridled optimistism

57. till_horcoff_is_coach says:

I don’t get the angst or sentiment that LD is getting a bigger push than yak. Yak shouldn’t play with LD and the other C are taken. He will start with Arco which is a much better fit than Gordon – it’s not a perfect match but it is a match.

If yak is to start on LW then the possible choices for RW are Perron or Purcell. I don’t think the gap between them is big in skill but is in size. Considering the size of Arco and Yak wouldn’t the natural choice be to line them up with Purcell?

But the conspiracy must be on. If the yak line instead had Perron I think the same narrative would exist on this site: LD gets 2 nhlers – oh no! Nail is being tossed aside.

Instead of looking for who is being screwed, let’s just take a collective breath and see how the camp shakes out.

58. oilinthepeg says:

It is interesting to me that LD projects to the 2C role on this team, but I’m wondering if he has 1C potential… Either in his numbers thus far in his career or in his projected upside. What would the LD situation look like if we had someone ‘less proven’ than RNH? (I know, I know… It would be terrifying for one…) but Hall has stated his excitement to hopefully get to play with LD soon… What if there is chemistry? I’ll take the advantage of the fact that everyone is being ridiculously over-optimistic about everything and ask the question of what happens when LD leapfrogs the Nuge for the 1C spot. Maybe his toolkit is more suited for the Hall-Ebs line? Is it a possibility that next year we are here debating who is the true 1C on the team?

I also thin that the talk about Marty is interesting. He is still pretty unproven in NHL play. Although his numbers look really good, is it possible that he can’t handle the long haul? I would say that everything about his attitude and development so far would suggest he is a risk worth taking, but I agree that bridging him properly is a good approach and hope the Oilers are at least pursuing this.

I wonder about how valuable a player like Schultz is when you think about the PP being about team play. One would think that if the power play is successful and firing on all cylinders, that it will be successful at scoring goals. Does someone like Jultz really give you the extra push in that department that is worth his relative liability on D? Maybe there is something about the fact that he seems to have a sense of entitlement that bothers me… And he hasn’t necessarily had to fight hard for his position that makes me under appreciate him for what he is, but… I’m my mind he is my favourite to trade out of town for what we need. I’m not sure how his value holds up as NHL currency at the moment, but he certainly has a sense of pedigree since every team in the league wanted to sign him.

I am curious to see what Yak can do. I think it’s a bit tough to pass assumptions about linemates and which side he is forced to ay on before seeing him in action. I know there are likely numbers that may prove these things have not worked for him in the past, but I am curious as to whether young Yak’s growth will account for steps forward. I have a lot of confidence in him and also think his character is unmatched. I cannot root for this kid more! I also have a lot of confidence in the linemates he has been placed with even if they aren’t technically top six guys. Arco should be one of the hardest working guys at TC.

How have those goalies looked in scrimmage? Any word? Praying to Gord the goalies have arrived to play…

Oilers. Flames.
    Tomorrow?!

Everybody’s Gretzky!
    I hope Bennett is going up against The Saddle tomorrow…

59. malinpaul says:

i hope Yak scores 40 and ends up on the second line by the end of the year.

I know it isn’t starting here, but this is where I would like it to end:

Hall – RNH – Ebs
    Perron – Draisaitl – Yak
    Pouliot – Arco – Purcell
    Henricks – Gordon – Pitlick

60. supernova says:

rickithebear: The stupid cap game is paying a dman for a tonne of points on the PP.
    when the results are average or below.
    I am talking give up and get.

Remember what ramsay said. transition and support.
    Not out of position and distort.

rickithebear,

You are acting like Schultz can’t improve his weak areas after 120 NHL games.

Where as you give Marincin all the benefit of the doubt that he can reach Chara levels.

This thinking doesn’t not rhyme although you do.