We can NOT help ourselves. The Edmonton Oilers are the opium of the settlers in this part of the Hinterland. We bitch and moan ALL spring and summer about the collective failings of the good ship Oiler, firm in our belief the team’s management can’t tie their shoes.
Come the first open scrimmage? Everybody’s Gretzky!
ANOTHER GREAT DAY!
- Benoit Pouliot on Leon Draisaitl: “He’s looking good, he’s slick. He’s a big centreman and in this league you need big centres. I think he can do the job. The way he played today, he’s only 18. You don’t want to put too much pressure on the guy, just let him play. Today was exactly that, he put a lot of pressure on their D and he played very well. It’s just a matter of getting comfortable and he’ll be perfect, he’ll be fine.” Source (Chris Westcott)
It’s day one. IF he’s doing this in the final pre-season tune up, then we have a story. Do you REMEMBER the final pre-season tune up a year ago?
THE LINEUP IN LAST FALL’S FINAL PRE-SEASON GAME
- L1: Smyth—Hall—Hemsky
- L2: Perron—Gordon—Yakupov
- L3: Joensuu—Arcobello—Eberle
- L4: R Hamilton—Acton—Eager
- D1: Smid—Petry
- D2: Ference—J Schultz
- D3: Belov—Larsen
- G1: Dubnyk (LaBarbera)
All of the men listed here played for the Oilers during the last pre-season game one year ago. The game day thread is here. Some comments from you during and after the game:
- Andropod: Seems we fielded our regular team alright. Long season ahead.
- Gret99zky: The planets will need to align the shit out of each other for this team to make the playoffs.
- Rex Libris: I decided to pick at an infected hangnail with a rusty oyster shucker tonight rather than watch the game. Did I miss anything?
- Dallas Eakins: “Hey it’s good that it happened. It’s good to let our team know that our diapers do stink. That’s not going to happen again. I let the players know that that’s their free pass. If this was October 1st, I would have shortened that bench down fast and the guys who weren’t doing what was being asked of them would have been on the bench. But.. that’s their free one, and sometimes it’s good you get a good kick in the butt leading into the season.”
- Rom: For those of you considering freaking out, I just want to remind you that the only thing that matters is Gord.
- Just Do It: Well this is one time that having sucky internet at a hotel doesn’t bother me that much. It seems I’m only missing a horrible stream anyway, and now SMac is hurt. Ooh – Breaking Bad reruns are on!
Neal Livingston’s postgame is a fun read one year later.
I think Leon makes the team, and I really like the idea of Pouliot and Perron as his linemates. Nail Yakupov is the odd man out here, and if he doesn’t get power-play time we shouldn’t expect a big season. That’s not a bad thing, and Arcobello/Purcell as linemates isn’t a 4line combo, but that’s certainly the 3line as we begin proceedings. The No. 3 pick in 2014 is getting a bigger push than the No. 1 pick in 2012. I’m not saying it’s wrong, but someone should mention it, so we are here.
I think that’s the right attitude. Great day by the German, let’s remember it’s D1 TC. If he can do good things during the final game of pre-season, and in G10, and G20, then we can unleash the hounds of happiness. Until then, we have to be reasonable.
OR, Everybody’s Gretzky. As you wish.