HIP TO BE SQUARE

David Perron scored 28 goals and emerged as a unique talent on the Edmonton Oilers in 2013-14. If the team is going to improve this season, Perron needs to be a big part of things again. We’ve heard about Perron’s hip issues from time to time since the season ending (and Perron was unable to play in the WHC).

• Perron: “As long as it’s like that where I can play, then get good treatment the next day, I think I can play every game. If we can stay on top of this the trainers are confident that it won’t get any worse than this, or I’ll improve.” Source is Jim Matheson in a must-read article.

I see his role as being mentor to Leon, power-play specialist and chance machine. I really appreciated Perron’s willingness to shoot from anywhere and his ability to hang on to the puck late, late, late in hopes of an offensive opportunity. Obvious a physical winger, here’s hoping he can have another strong campaign. Having said that, if you’re an Oiler winger, the hip issue could be an opportunity.

Larry Brooks does a nice rant about the Oilers, and writes whined a lot here.

lander11

Dallas Eakins had some kind words about Anton Lander’s performance today at practice:

• Eakins: “The one thing we spoke to Anton about last year at the end of the season (is offence). He’s shown that he can put up points and make plays at the American Hockey League level. Today, he was making those plays. He stepped out of his comfort zone here. That’s hard to do as a player and I thought that was real encouraging.” Source

The thing that probably wins the day for Lander is his penalty-killing. Not sexy, but deadly important.

Copper and Blue are doing their Top 25 under 25, it’s one of my favorite things on the oilogosphere. Curtis Leblanc is a helluva writer and he does a great job of summing up Pitlick’s chances here. As it happens, I wrote about Pitlick, injury and his future here.

Curtis Hamilton scored today, 5-hole on Keven Bouchard. Get noticed early and often, and a nice start. Of course, none of this matters until tomorrow, when the pre-season games begin. Oilers will have their skilled group in Edmonton, meaning Calgary will send their coke machines to Rexall in an effort to reduce our beautiful game to rubble.

20 Responses to "HIP TO BE SQUARE"

1. Pouzar says:

ummmmm Larry….we missed the playoffs for 8 straight years because we haven’t developed any frickin NHL players of our own.

2. Masamax says:

I always love when press or bloggers who don’t cover the Oilers use Taylor Hall’s contract of evidence of some kind of ineptitude. It’s this perfect sign that the person is clueless. The idea that holding out on an RFA despite their lack of arbitration rights is good business practice is a bit absurd though. Sure, maybe they don’t have that many options, but making your team worse to prove a point over what amounts to minor details for a team far from the cap (and this particularly applies to the Blue Jackets, who are just barely above the cap floor yet theoretically are a team wishing to compete) seems far stupider than slightly overpaying an RFA. But what do I know, I don’t write for the New York Post.

That said, I am not a big fan of Schultz’s contract, but Brooks just seems like an angry fellow. Or maybe cultivating that image to appease people who cheer for the Mets. There’s a team that shares more than team colours with the Oilers.

3. Pouzar says:

Masamax,

Let’s sick Torts on him. 🙂

I still think the Schultz contract (bigger dollars, less term) is the better play. the Oilers aren’t convinced, Schultz and his agent are probably pushing for six times $6m. I know I’m alone here, and many people have more knowledge about this, but for me the hockey player isn’t worth term, even to the point of paying extra money for one year because I’m not convinced.

jmo.

5. RexLibris says:

Thanks, Brooksie, anything else you want to add?

I’m suddenly more empathetic towards John Tortorella.

Anyway, back to hockey…

The Flames game is going to be interesting.

My money is on Gaudreau and the rest of the Can’t Miss Kids playing in Calgary to reward the fans, no different than here really, but if any of the Oilers takes a run at Gaudreau all hell will break loose. Fans are still calling for Corrado’s hide to be tanned and made into a suitcase.

Tomorrow will be intriguing, certainly. I get the feeling that we’re starting to see some hate come back into the Edm/Cgy series.

6. RexLibris says:

jmo.

Brooks’ argument, and others like it, takes the point of judgements in a…wait for it…vacuum. Nikitin was overpaid, of course, but he was added early. He’s making more than Fayne annually, but arguably Fayne was the better player. Is Nikitin worth as much as Ehrhoff or Niskanen? No, but his money is so high because of the circumstances in which he was signed.

If Brooks wants hyperbole why did he suggest that Schultz was the more asinine contract handed out this summer?

Deryk Engelland will be making just a shade under $3 million for three years.

Heck, Brooks Orpik is making $5+ in Washington.

But giving an RFA a virtual carbon copy of his ELC for one more year was the worst move?

I’ll chalk this up to New York media and walk away.

7. SinceTheWHADays says:

jmo.

Ya. What you said.

8. SinceTheWHADays says:

Hey. As a side note. I’ve been fallowing all the prospect games from penticton , I went to the U of A game and the last two public scrimmages…if the Joens twins were 2″ taller I think they would get way more coverage. They look like two guys who’ve played there whole lives together, oh wait….they have, but F Me they’re good smart players who probably will never get a whiff of NHL regular season play. Too bad they’re fun to watch. Anyone else notice these guys? I imagine Todd Nelson is happy.

9. Gordies Elbow says:

If Larry Brooks thinks we’re doing something wrong, that’s good news, right?

10. T0ML says:

Love the article man. Even more fun laughing at the NYPost article which woefully lacks any facts to backup his point…. Claims a 3x pay raise and doesnt consider bonuses (Present in the ELC, not the new J Shultz contract)….and this line was pretty good at ruining credibility with me…

“including the twin seven-year, $42 million deals with Taylor Hall and Ryan Nugent-Hopkins.” … So they are on 7 yr contracts now ?!?! Well even more of a steal for Hall in that case ….. lol

Bring on the Pre-Season !

11. Frank The Dog says:

T0ML:
    Love the article man.Even more fun laughing at the NYPost article which woefully lacks any facts to backup his point…. Claims a 3x pay raise and doesnt consider bonuses (Present in the ELC, not the new J Shultz contract)….and this line was pretty good at ruining credibility with me…

Bring on the Pre-Season !

The MSM Oiler narrative hasn’t moved past the Tambo era yet. So when this team starts kicking the @$$ of the established eastern teams their skies will fall for losing to the woeful Oilers. *GM’s and coaching staffs will be cleaned out and rosters turned upside down.

12. Ryan says:

Brooks has a fair critique of the Schultz contract. It’s an epic fail. Good Gord, look what Detroit is paying Dekeyser.

13. RexLibris says:

Nice to see the Eskimos snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

I was worried for a moment.

Ryan:
    Brooks has a fair critique of the Schultz contract.It’s an epic fail.Good Gord, look what Detroit is paying Dekeyser.

Offense always gets paid.

RexLibris:
    Nice to see the Eskimos snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

I was worried for a moment.

Fracking!

16. supernova says:

jmo.

You aren’t alone on this.

I said this on this blog when the Schultz contract was signed and defended my take.

My belief is Schultz wants Eberles contract and wasn’t willing to sign a Gardiner contract because he played with him and feels he is a better player.

17. RexLibris says:

Lowetide: Fracking!

Soooo what you’re saying is they didn’t dig deep enough?

Thanks folks, you’ve been great, I’ll be here all week!

18. commonfan14 says:

T0ML:
    and this line was pretty good at ruining credibility with me…

Might want to check out cap geek if you’re in the mood to feel a little embarrassed but totally jacked at the same time.

19. nycoil says:

I’ve said my piece on Schultz and MacT so will save my breath. I hate it, but it’s out of my control. As for Nuge’s contract, you have to accept that from an outsider’s perspective he has done nothing so far in his career to warrant that kind of deal. I’m a fan of his and a fan of the bet management made on him to fulfill it going forward, but I can totally accept that the world outside Edmonton thinks it’s a bad contract.

Now, go Oilers x2. Beat the Flames x2.