AN AMBULANCE CAN ONLY GO SO FAST

He was drafted in 2009, with a counter-trey scouting report that suggested a two-way forward who had an idea about how to play without the puck. He arrived in North America to rave reviews about his skating improvement and won an NHL job too soon on a wayward team looking for 12 good men and true for the forward spots. That first season had Lander play over 50 games and (like the rest of the team) show poor possession numbers. His CorsiRel numbers improved in years two and three, and his AHL offensive performance blossomed last season.

Anton Lander is a bubble player for the coming season. There are interesting players on waivers and (more to the point) about to go on waivers who can help Edmonton. Is Lander worth holding on to for one more year, in the hopes of finding traction and emerging as a useful NHL player?

LAST NIGHT’S CORSI’S (5X5 %, VIA HOCKEYSTATS.CA) (source)

1. Boyd Gordon 92%
  13. Leon Draisaitl 38%
  14. Nail Yakupov 33%
  15. Matt Hendricks 33%
  16. Tyler Pitlick 33%
  17. Jujhar Khaira 27%
  18. Bogdan Yakimov 22%

Once again, a reminder we have one side of the equation with these numbers. We do no NOT have Zone start and we do NOT have qual comp, although I will say to my eye the Sedins faced (and fed) Leon’s line quite a bit of the night.

A few conclusions:

1. Among the group struggling to make the roster, Lander’s Corsi for % 5×5 was the best. He was poor to start the game, improved as it rolled along and won an assist plus a positive Corsi for % for the night. I would waive him today or tomorrow and look for a stronger option—one may currently be available.
  2. Marincin and Klefbom show up in the same range, but I was far more impressed by eye with Marincin. Sometimes the numbers match the viewing, but in this case I’m going to argue the eyes have it.
  3. Darnell Nurse is going to make the team. He was the most noticeable defender for Edmonton and battled all night. Nurse had some difficult moments—show me a list of defensemen who have been made to look silly by the Sedins and I’ll show you the entire NHL defense register since the piss cutters joined the league—but he was physical, good with the puck and handy in all situations.
  4. If the Oilers are going to keep Leon, that 4C (Arco now) is going to have nights when he’s the 2C. That’s a fact.
  5. Tyler Pitlick is someone I’ve cheered for (like Lander) since arrival and despite a strong camp I’ll say it’s 50/50 he makes it on the roster.
  6. Will Acton had a good game. I know most of you don’t value him, but if he makes the team I won’t scream.
  7. Brad Hunt. Brad freaking Hunt. That’s a guy who came to camp and did everything asked.
  8. I like Leon and Nail together, and as Eakins said earlier in the week Yakupov KNOWS what to do in his zone. Doesn’t mean he’ll execute always, but that duo isn’t the crazy idea once thought it would be.
  9. The 5×5 Corgi’s were about even last night, impressive for this group of kids on the road. I don’t know who to credit, and people are offing themselves left right and center on twitter because PANIC and OILERS, but the sliderule suggests work has been done, lessons have been learned and structure is coming to our town.

Love your thoughts, please pass along.

draisaitl young stars

DESSERT1111 GAME REPORT

• Scrivens – made an incredicle acrobatic save towards the end of the first period, but all of the 3 goals I was expecting him to save. The 2nd one he looked a bit sleepy on, and the third one he left a small hole that the shooter (vrbata?) picked nicely. Wasn’t his best game.
  • Nurse – was very noticeable. Very quick, got all over the ice. Felt like their best D man tonight. I am all for sending him back to junior, but with the current injuries I think he deserves an nhl trial on merit.
  • Klefbom – has the physical tools but still seems a bit inconsistent. There was one play in the first period that sticks out — it might have been one of the goals against — where he was trailing the play. I’ve read that he has some issues with hockey sense which makes sense after watching him. Just one game, but I feel like he’d be best served with a little more time to round out his game.
  • Hunt – noticeably engaged in the o zone and had a couple nice shots. Didn’t show too much one way or another. Had a good stick in the neutral zone.
  • Aulie – had a rather large mistake in the first period where he tried to hold the zone unsuccessfully which led to an odd man rush against. Other than that looked like a capable #7 d man, which honestly was more than I expected to see. If just basing it on this game (which I’m sure the team is not), I feel like a choice between hunt and aulie would come down to a playing style preference. PP specialist or big man?
  • Schultz – had an active stick and was very mobile. I thought he had a good game.
  • Marincin – had a somewhat subtle game by eye but I thought was effective. Looks like an NHL player, can’t see how he doesn’t make the team.
  • Gordon – quite obviously a solid player but lacked the hands in the o zone to play with high end skill in his game IMO.
  • Purcell – had a couple good sequences but seemed like he was half sleeping the game.
  • Eberle – watching him stick handle in the slot/ goal mouth area is worth the price of admission. Phenomenal talent. Made some really nice plays advancing the puck in the o zone. I don’t think he does as well when asked to carry his line like tonight though.
  • Draisaitl – had one sublime pass to yakupov that shows his talent. Seemed quite tentative most the night. I think it’s a foregone conclusion he is on the team, so I won’t harp on that point, but it’s going to be a process and patience looks like it’ll be needed. Not close to a finished product at this point.
  • Yakupov – I was very pleasantly surprised with his game. Along with nurse, the oiler who was most involved all over the ice, forechecking and back checking like mad. Is clearly a unique player. Was very entertaining to watch. Maturing before our eyes.
  • Lander – looked better as the game wore on — his assist was a nice display of his offensive talent we’ve heard about but rarely seen at the nhl level — but man he looked brutal the first half the game, the worst oiler by a mile. He was listless on the torecheck, finishing his check but like it was a game of patty-cake. I am NOT one of those people who tries to decipher body language but buddy looked like he’s suffering from some sort of confidence issue or depression or injury. Not the way I expected him to engage in puck battles when fighting for a roster spot to say the least. If this game means anything and if he is healthy, he’s sent down tomorrow on merit. A head scratcher. Looked a step behind reading the play most the night, reacting rather than reading.
  • Acton – I am not an Acton fan, but I came away with the impression that he is not as overwhelmed at this level as I previously thought. He didn’t bring a game-changing element, but he knew where he needed to be and didn’t hurt the team. If the Oilers want to keep a 5C on the roster and base it on this game, Acton deserves the spot. Still think he is best suited as an injury 4C callup. Looks better than last year.
  • Arcobello – the Oilers best all around C tonight. He always seems to know where he needs to be, and in the D zone he directs his teammates vocally and with his hands. Had some friendly chats with lander on the way to the bench which was interesting considering they could be seen as applying for the same job. If buddy was 6’2 215 he’d be the godsend 2C for the team. Plays 2 or 3C on merit IMO. Took draws when on a line with Acton and lander (and won them) which I thought was telling. Didn’t look as small as I thought he would but is obviously undersized.
  • Yakimov – not very noticeable. Based on tonight, needs farm time.
  • Khaira – a bit more noticeable than yak2 — he was pretty strong on the forecheck — but also wouldn’t be hurt with farm time from this minute sample size. Looked like a decent bet to be a bottom 6 pivot in a year or two though, quite strong on the puck.
  • Hendricks – looked like an unskilled fourth line NHL player, so what I was expecting. Worked hard on the torecheck.
  • Pitlick – I am torn on this guy. He seems to have more upside than he displays, but he’s got wheels and is good at pressuring the puck. Seemed a bit tired at times tonight and lacked the explosive speed in a couple of circumstances where I was expecting him to turn it on, but overal Ora good showing. I’d be worried to waive him.

yakupov111

VAN GOLF GAME REPORT

Was at the game tonight and noticed the following:

• > yak was great. Very involved and was prowling. For first time in forever he didn’t look like he was forcing it. Can’t wait to hear what Eakins has to say in his post presser about yak.
  • > DrySaddle was okay, but when your remember he is only 18, he was fantastic. Lots of simple smarts and effective use of his size.
  • > Shultz was a tire fire. Seemed like he was always looking for the stretch pass rather than the shorter safer one. Non existent in offensive zone.
  • > nurse literally skated double that of any player. Always pinching and then busting his ass getting back.
  • > oiler transition game markedly inferior to the nucks ( expected based roster make-up)
  • > yak2 and purcell really quiet.
  • > without scrivens it would have been 4 nothing after one.

WAIVER SUNDAY

I’ll have a post up after 10 should any waivery news occur, one player Edmonton might take a look at today is Peter Regin. VOR mentioned him many times over the years and he came available yesterday as the ‘Hawks did some good work on their roster and future (the Leddy trade netted them a very good young player). Regin is a former failed prospect, Marty Reasoner division, but has some good Corgi’s dating back years. He might be a nice 5C behind Nuge, Leon, Gordon, Arco. As this article suggests, Regin has complementary skills and is responsible without the puck. A reasonable option.

101 Responses to "AN AMBULANCE CAN ONLY GO SO FAST"

Also missing is the game state, which is a big deal.

Looking at the corgi’s close (game within a goal in the first two periods and tied in the 3rd) is much more informative than straight corsi.

Takes out all score effects.

We wait for a hero to put it all together for us….. or Vic to get his site working again.

Also,

Marinicin is probably the best LD on the team, even when Nikitin is healthy.

I liked your idea of playing him with Fayne.

2. fuzzy muppet says:

LT:

Do You think the final cuts are announced today??

3. fuzzy muppet says:

Woodguy,

I Lost count of how many times he broke up zone entries with his reach. Just wonderful

He’s working his way into to untradeable territory. (unless there’s a 1D coming back.)

fuzzy muppet:
    LT:

Do You think the final cuts are announced today??

No. We may get some moves today though, guys who are clearly not going to make the team (I’d count Khaira, Yakimov, Westgarth).

5. Eastern Oil says:

Thank you both to Dessert1111 and Van Golf for their reports, and to everyone else of course. I try to watch as much as I can here in Ontario but with a 5 month old, and a busy life it can be hard. Please know that even sometime posters, mostly lurkers, like myself appreciate it.

Question to the group, because I couldn’t find the answer, when does the 23-man roster need to be finalized?

6. supernova says:

I know it’s been said but I don’t agree with Eakins strategy of not icing a regular season line up in the last preseason game.

Very good opportunity to have the team get used to the systems and each other.

PItlick or Pinnizotto seems to be the question.

I keep Pitlick.

Aulie, Klefbom, Nurse.

I send down Klefbom and keep nurse until 9 games played or Nikitin is healthy.

7. Dipstick says:

It seems inevitable that some prospects are going to be exposed to waivers. Which day is best to have them run the gauntlet? Cut down deadline day?

8. BrazilianOil says:

Lander: if the idea was to have a DZ especialist why he didn t ply with 27 and 23 during the preseason? The RW 4th line job wich is open need to go to a player who can handle the thougs on his own end, not a energy guy.

Still believe the best option is put 55 and 10 togheter for the soft parade, with Pouliot or Purcell, leaving arco, and Perron the 2 line duty.

9. supernova says:

Eastern Oil,

You sounds like a few of us around here.

I bought The NHL package last year, I typically watch the game after it’s finished due to busy life and young children and stay away from twitter & blogs until I have taken in the game myself.

I watch the oilers instead of sleep.

This blog and a few others feel the gap when I can’t watch.

There has been times when I have said I need to give up my love for sports.

But when it comes down to it . I just love those Oilers.

Because Oilers (cheers to Woodguy )

BrazilianOil:
    Lander: if the idea wasto have aDZ especialist why he didn t ply with 27 and 23 during the preseason? The RW 4th line job wich is open need to go to a player who can handle the thougs on his own end, not a energy guy.

Still believe the best option is put 55 and 10 togheterfor the soft parade, with Pouliot or Purcell, leaving arco, and Perron the 2 line duty.

I agree with this all day.

If the Oilers are committed to keeping DrySaddle, then they need to commit to burying Gordon with 20%OZS or else the whole thing won’t work.

Relying on DrySaddle to be 2C, Gordon 3C and Arco running an “energy 4th” will expose Drai severely.

You need 3 lines you can put out in the dzone and not worry about too much and making Arco a 4C with Hendricks and Pitlick/Pinozzotto/Facepuncher gives you 2 lines to shelter.

Not good.

11. thepeetso says:

I whine about Acton a lot (mostly this is due to Oilers’ historical nepotism) but that kid played real well last night.

12. Marcus Oilerius says:

I was impressed with Yakupov’s game last night. Not just the goal, but the overall cohesion of it, the defence, the transition, the offensive zone. He still passes too fast for guys to get the puck sometimes, but that one backhand pass from the opposing goal line to the point was surreal. I have no idea how he did it.

Most improved forward, by far.

13. Lloyd B. says:

From An article on ON this morning by Strudwick.

It was a lot of fun to watch these two offensively. Talk about chemistry! WOW! I really enjoyed seeing them play together. It was exactly what I had hope it would be.

Seeing Draisaitl work the puck below the dots and even below the goal line in the offensive zone looking for Yak was fun. He has that long reach and ability to shield the puck.

Yak was staying above the tops of the circles while Draisaitl was working it low, perfect position. When the time was right he would jump into an area where a lane would open it. It is very hard for opposing dmen to follow him up so high. It is counter to what you have been taught for years, to stay close to the net.

This was a small sample size but I sure liked it. Throw in Pouliot on the left wing, another big body that can hold the puck and retrieve it. This line would be very different from the line of Hall, Nuge and Eberle. That is more a quick strike line. Draisaitl, Yak and Pouliot would be a heavier hold on to the puck and grind out longer offensive zone shifts.

I really liked what could be possible. Draisaitl could be the center to unlock the Yak riddle!!

14. thepeetso says:

Woodguy: I agree with this all day.

Not good.

Indeed. That is the plan isn’t it? It damn well better be.

15. wheatnoil says:

A few people have said they thought Purcell was largely invisible last night. I don’t think he was a world-beater, but I saw him pretty good. He had a few shifts where he displayed good chemistry with Eberle in the O-zone. I also saw him make a few good plays in the neutral zone in transition as well. He seems like a good complementary player.

16. thepeetso says:

Marcus Oilerius:
    I was impressed with Yakupov’s game last night.Not just the goal, but the overall cohesion of it, the defence, the transition, the offensive zone.He still passes too fast for guys to get the puck sometimes, but that one backhand pass from the opposing goal line to the point was surreal.I have no idea how he did it.

Most improved forward, by far.

One shift in particular I noticed Yak cover the point, when Schultz pinched. Miles away from last years awaremess.

He just seems so much more committed to positioning and puck support this year.

thepeetso: Indeed. That is the plan isn’t it? It damn well better be.

Eakins hasn’t run Gordon in that role all preseason.

It is preseason though.

We wait.

18. fuzzy muppet says:

wheatnoil,

Purcell makes nice, shifty plays and quick passes which will help exit the zone.

The problem is he tends to over-handle the puck at times. That’s going to lead to some bad turnovers.

Bottom Line: He’s an ACTUAL NHL player, not a Petrell et al….

19. VanOil says:

One of my criticisms of Eakins last year was that he was to quick to hit the MacBlender with lines. I expect this will continue but hope some success/Ramsey will slow it down some what.

That being said some lines are coming into focus. Are they up for the task?

Hall-RNH-Eberle 20+ min per night, power v. power (does Nuge become a/the man this year?)

Pouliot-Draisaitl-Yak 12-15 min per night, sheltered they may succeed (long term they will be world beaters I am willing to accept the growing pains this year, some nights they will be benched) Some real NHL D men to back them up will help, river boat gamblers should be deployed else where.

Perron-Arco-Purcell 12-15 min per night, will not need to be sheltered but will Perron and Perrcel be able to bring the offence they are paid for in this role?

Hendricks-Gordon-Joensuu/Pitlick/Lander a 4th line that does not get destroyed, they may never score but as long a Gadzook is not on the line they have the chance to do some heavy lifting in the Dzone freeing the kids to be kids. Will they get/handle 8 min per night?

I don’t expect this line up to make the playoffs this year but if they develop some chemistry and sign Petry I could see them doing it the year after with minimal changes. (Yakimov beating out Arco and Nurse and Draisaitl truly being ready for the show)

20. wheatnoil says:

Woodguy: Eakins hasn’t run Gordon in that role all preseason.

It is preseason though.

We wait.

Just a thought… Gordon is great for the Dig Line in large part because of his defensive awareness and his faceoff skills.

Arcobello also has defensive awareness and faceoff skills.

Maybe Eakins was trying Gordon in more offensive situations this preseason to see if he had any offensive ability, giving him the option to move Gordon up to an offensive line while still allowing him to roll an Arco-Hendricks-Lander (or Pitlick or whatever) dig line?

I think it’s unlikely, but thinking aloud.

I actually think Gordon-Hendricks-Arco would be a fantastic Dig Line, if only the Oilers had the centre depth to make it work.

21. thepeetso says:

Woodguy: Eakins hasn’t run Gordon in that role all preseason.

It is preseason though.

We wait.

All the verbage in the summer indicated that’s what they were going to do.

Maybe they were trying Gordon in a different role just in case Kraftwerk couldn’t hang and we had to run RNH, Arco, Gordon, Lander

22. Ryan says:

I missed the game last night due to a family event.

There was no game recap at COH or CNB, so thanks also to those who watched the game live and provided a summary.

Like any Oilers junkie, I scoured Google news and found some post game quotes on Vancouver news sties.

Some were making fun of our swarm d on one of the goals against. They had some quotes of Vancouver players being happy about how their powerplays are working.

Still seems odd that the Oilers kept so many players on the roster who aren’t going to make the team

23. Pouzar says:

“Yak for me, brought a lot of energy,” Eakins said. “He’s worked extremely hard on his game, he’s trying to get into spots to score, that’s what he loves to do.

“Yak’s improved greatly in his own end and because he’s better defensively, he’s going to get the puck more. Who knows were it will all goes with the lines? But the future bodes well to have both Leon and Yakupov to maybe work together.”

24. Pouzar says:

Woodguy,

“Marinicin is probably the best LD on the team, even when Nikitin is healthy.”

Is he still on the bubble?

Sorry this still bugs me to no end. 🙂

25. Dipstick says:

Is it worth a try to have different line combinations at home than away so that they can more easily shelter Draisaitl? Or are the zone starts the more important issue?

26. Hammers says:

I think LT hit the nail on the head on every player . Couldn’t have expressed myself better . My thoughts are Scrivens may have lost the opening game . Ebs needs to start with RNH & Hall .Liked Strudwicks comment on Leon , Yak & Pouliot . Means Arco would get Perron and hopefully Purcell . As of now Gordon & Hendricks may get Pitlick ,Pinzotto or Acton but thats your 14 . LT maybe right on Nurse , he may be here for the year though . Fayne , Marincin / Petry , Ference , / Schultz , Nurse / Nikitin on IR Toughest maybe Hunt or Aulie

27. thepeetso says:

Dipstick:

Hammers:
    Ebs needs to start with RNH & Hall .Liked Strudwicks comment on Leon , Yak & Pouliot . Means Arco would get Perron and hopefully Purcell . As of now Gordon & Hendricks may get Pitlick ,Pinzotto or Actonbut thats your 14 . LT maybe right on Nurse , he may be here for the year though . Fayne , Marincin /Petry , Ference , / Schultz , Nurse/ Nikitin on IRToughest maybe Hunt or Aulie

Probably just run out the Arco line more often on the road and the Drai line more often at home.

28. Bruce McCurdy says:

Dipstick:

I’d turn that around and say zone starts have Become the more important issue because the coach has control over them both home and away, whereas he can only control match-ups in his own barn.

In terms of post games, I haven’t done them for years because other blogs do. If that’s an issue, I’ll start throwing a post game thread up.

30. cahill says:

I didn’t see the game last night, but if Leon Draisaitl CF was 38% on the road, with several of the NHL defenseman not playing, with no Nuge or Hall and playing against the Sedin’s then I’m alright with that.

Arco is a player that winning teams have. A guy that can play the 4th line and move up to play any role. Last year I think the Oilers top 9 forwards missed roughly 70 games. He will play all over the lineup. I hope that MacT signs him to a long term deal (4 years) during the season. Reminds me of Todd White and Rich Peverly.

VanOil:

That being said some lines are coming into focus. Are they up for the task?

That’s the way I line em up too.

32. littleconer says:

Eastern Oil,

Teams must have a 23-man roster by Tuesday, 3 PM EDT

33. Bruce McCurdy says:

Pouzar:
    Woodguy,

“Marinicin is probably the best LD on the team, even when Nikitin is healthy.”

Is he still on the bubble?

Sorry this still bugs me to no end.

Hard to imagine he is still on the bubble after the games he played this week. As of last Sunday in Saskatoon “my favourite Martin” (stick tap -> Lowwetide) hadn’t established much if any separation but he responded to the questions/criticism of his play with some strong play this week. Solidly in the starting 6, and with 1 or 2 d-men apt to start the season on IR he’ll likely be in the top 4.

wheatnoil,

thepeetso,

You both said the same thing and that makes a lot of sense.

Pouzar:
    Woodguy,

“Marinicin is probably the best LD on the team, even when Nikitin is healthy.”

Is he still on the bubble?

Sorry this still bugs me to no end.

Thankfully that verbal stopped after Gernat was sent down and Marincin’s play picked up noticeably.

36. thepeetso says:

VanOil,

That’s how I’d do it also.

In fact I think you’d be hard pressed to find anybody that doesn’t line them up like that.

37. Bruce McCurdy says:

Thanks to you, LT, as well as Dessert1111 & Van Golf for the reports.

If Petry and Ference are healthy for start, as was reported during the broadcast last night (SO much Oiler info during that telecast), the opening night blue is far more encouraging:

Marincin-Petry
    Nurse-Fayne
    Ference-Schultz

39. wheatnoil says:

Bruce McCurdy: Very unusual circumstances that CoH didn’t have a post game last night. I am travelling and Young Willis had some kind of issue accessing the game feed. First game we’ve missed in years, but hey, “only” a preseason game. Not about to become a trend.

Thanks to you, LT, as well as Dessert1111 & Van Golf for the reports.

Last game of the preseason, with the Oilers up against a real NHL line-up, and the blogging team has already fallen apart with missed assignments! This must be a sign that the coming season will be a disaster for the Oilers Blogosphere!

40. book¡je says:

I think the comments thread is the ‘post game’

41. wheatnoil says:

Marincin-Petry
    Nurse-Fayne
    Ference-Schultz

42. SoCaloil says:

Any word if Perron is healthy?

43. slopitch says:

I’m fine with Eakins giving Gordon a different role in preseason. Guy has like 300 games experience in that role. I’m actually ok with a little bit of randomness in the game. It’s like a skip in curling who does a few odd shots early to know the ice for later. Provides information.

I was intrigued by hunt last year. There was a time I thought he could be a late blooming Dan Boyle type. However Dan Boyle made the nhl at age 24. Hunt is 26. Odds aren’t on hunts side anymore, but I’ll still cheer for him. He’s got a great hockeydb pic.

44. flyfish1168 says:

Marincin-Petry
    Nurse-Fayne
    Ference-Schultz

If this is the opening night Defensive pairing I wonder how many minutes Petry will play. Not having much of a preseason I can’t imagine Jeff being in game shape (Speed of play).

45. thepeetso says:

slopitch:

That pic is stellar, and his interviews are hilarious. He’s just full of nervous energy and excitement. He reminds me of a Labrador Retriever. Ready to go and eager to please.

He’s a hard guy not to cheer for.

46. VanOil says:

thepeetso:
    VanOil,

That’s how I’d do it also.

Before last night and Yaks defensive acumen the last few games I think there were many doubters. From where we stand today it does look to be the best path forward. Pouliot’s status as a once ‘failed’ first round pick might make him a great mentor for two boys trying to find there way in the NHL.

47. wheatnoil says:

Eakins on Hunt, post-game: “Huntsy’s come in and really opened up some eyes. I think if anybody in our organization told you that they thought he would still be here it might be a little bit of a fib, but he’s certainly earned everything he’s gotten so far. He’s shown very well on the powerplay, he’s been good 5 on 5. He’s made the decision process harder because… to be honest, I didn’t expect him to be in the mix right now.”

48. spoiler says:

Lowetide said:
    4.If the Oilers are going to keep Leon, that 4C (Arco now) is going to have nights when he’s the 2C. That’s a fact.

I said basically the same thing a couple of weeks ago. On the road Draisaitl is going to be facing the vaunt. The only way to protect him will be to drastically cut his EV minutes and feed him all the powerplay he can eat.

And if that’s the case do you want Yak on his wing sitting on the bench that much?

I don’t see how this team can get through a road game without a MacBlender.

49. flyfish1168 says:

wheatnoil:

Hunt maybe our 7th d-man.

50. VanOil says:

wheatnoil: I think Petry gets the baby-sitting role for the new young D and Marincin gets thrown to the wolves with Fayne.

As I believe WG mentioned last night one of Marincin’s greatest talents is the neutral zone poke check, denying the zone to the opposition. It is a talent i believe Petry shares. I have not watched Fayne and Nitikin enough to know if they do it to.

I believe Dellow’s research was examining the importance of this before he became The Man. I guess we will not be able to read the results now, unless someone else picks up this research path. But maybe we will see the results on the ice.

Given Petry’s lack of game playing I would rather he get the familiar Marincin. But I also would like Fayne to be setup to succeed from game 1. Mind you game 1 is against Calgary’s suspect offense so it might be not worth worrying about until game 2.

book¡je: I think the comments thread is the ‘post game’

Agreed.

GDT is good for pre-during-post.

book¡je: I think the comments thread is the ‘post game’

Yep. That reason and the fact that CofH already do such a good job are two reasons I don’t do one. That and I’m dragging my ass to bed shortly after games. 🙂

SoCaloil:
    Any word if Perron is healthy?

Sore ribs, hurts when he shoots, expected to be ok for Thursday.

Nikitin was walking around without a boot yesterday.

There’s a chance he’s ready for game 1, but I think the use him ankle as a reason to get Nurse in a few games.

55. Eastern Oil says:

supernova,

You’re absolutely right, there have been times in the last few years where it’s been around midnight, and I ask myself why I sit here and watch this team. Children, busy job, and I am half asleep, but lo and behold, I turn on the CBC and watch the Oil.

It’s been tough but I had a great moment last week when I was watching the first VAN-EDM game and my wife brought my 5 month old son down from upstairs. The Oil were losing, and eventually did lose (as we all know) but for 10 minutes I sat there with him and we watched together. The only difference between us was it was his first of many, and mine was hopefully the first of many more with him.

Sorry to hijack the thread with this story, but thank you for LT for creating the space that I felt no problem telling it in.

Lowetide: Yep. That reason and the fact that CofH already do such a good job are two reasons I don’t do one. That and I’m dragging my ass to bed shortly after games.

3-4 posts a day and a 2 radio shows is enough LT.

Woodguy: 3-4 posts a day and a 2 radio shows is enough LT.

Well, I do have an hourly update planned. 🙂

58. supernova says:

Woodguy: 3-4 posts a day and a 2 radio shows is enough LT.

Woodguy,

Agree completely! the only thing I can say is people love this site.

Maybe LT could endorse a thread on his site and have a Woodguy or Rom or Rex handle it on this site.

59. hunter1909 says:

Yak scored. Who cares if they won? Him and that German are made to play on the same line, so ffs Eakins, get with the program. Keep the Hall line as constituted, they’re going to kick ass.

Note to Eberle + Yakupov + Petry haters – please return to HF Boards where you belong.

It’s possible for a hockey team to have more than a handful of decent players, and yes, it’s difficult to keep track of them.

60. dessert1111 says:

As for post games, I always read CoH, but I would read an LT post game as well. You already produce a lot of content though so I wouldn’t do it if it’s a hassle.

When I want game and post game thoughts I normally go thru the game day thread here, but I certainly wouldn’t complain about more LT articles.

Thanks for posting my report! The game was a lot of fun, and afterwards I stumbled upon an Oilers bar called black frog right in the middle of gastown. Half the bar in Oilers gear with an Oilers Nation sticker on the door, and there was even a group of Finns there who talked to my table at one point. Very serendipitous, a guy sees my girlfriend in an oilers shirt and directs us there when we were nearby.

There’s something to be said about finding a friendly atmosphere in an unfamiliar city.

Dessert: Thank YOU for posting the report. Very enjoyable and valuable information. As for post game thread, I won’t do it for the reasons above, the most important one being (imo) the CofH guys do a better job than anyone. If it ain’t broke….

62. Eastern Oil says:

littleconer,

Thank you good sir.

63. Marcus Oilerius says:

Making a post-game post, sans content, so we can clearly delineate between comments in-game and post-game, might be beneficial.

Skille claimed by Columbus, everyone else cleared. Not sure if anyone is on waivers today.

65. hunter1909 says:

Don’t forget to register your number in the Hunter1909 contest.

Numbers picked so far: 81, 83, 86, 88, 89, 94(twice), 96

Anyone over 18 can enter. Until the puck gets dropped on opening night.

supernova: Woodguy,

Agree completely! the only thing I can say is people love this site.

Not the same.

Its all good the way it is imo.

67. Pouzar says:

hunter1909:

This.

Lowetide: Well, I do have an hourly update planned.

Well…..on cut down day/waivers, UFA day and draft day your excessive work is acceptable.

Islanders are really stacked.

Going to watch them as much as possible this year.

70. VanOil says:

hunter1909,

Hunter your optimism and positivity at this point of the season is disconcerting. Long may it have reason to continue.

As for your challenge last night. I will go with a Marincin of points for the season 85.

71. Pouzar says:

Woodguy: Islanders are really stacked.

Going to watch them as much as possible this year.

WG…I pick 4th in our draft and I think I have to take Tavares if he’s there. I think it will go Crosby-Stamkos for sure then after that there are too many options but he could be the best.

72. wheatnoil says:

Woodguy: Seeing as he played against the wolves w/ Petry last year and put up the best RelCor in the whole team, I’m fairly comfortable with that.

Fair. My comment came off as more critical than I intended it to, I actually think he’s the best person for the job with Fayne, especially with Nikitin injured… even though ideally I’d prefer that He-Of-Less-Than-82-Games-NHL-Experience not be put in that position.

73. Pouzar says:

Nice article LT…big big words from Eakin RE: Nurse.

Hunter is asking for guesses about points? I’ll go 37-32-13 for 87 points.

75. Kmart99 says:

VanOil:

That being said some lines are coming into focus. Are they up for the task?

This is exactly how I think Eakins should start the season. Poo is a possession monster and if you can shelter yak and draisaitl via ZS, qualcomp, and have poo with them it has the makings of a great 2/3 line ( on paper)

Perron-Arco-Purcell — These guys are all old enough and experienced enough that they shouldn’t have to be so sheltered. Perron has shown all through his career that he can sustain a solid P/60 regardless of TOI and qual line mates, so this line should be ok. And if memory serves, Woodguy’s post regarding Arco last season had him playing rather well with Perron.

Hall-RNH-Ebs… duhh

Hendricks-Gordon-??? I really don’t know who is most ready for a shutdown role alongside these two. I’m just not sold on Pitlick, Lander, Pinizotto, or Joensuu yet. … I’m leaning towards Joensuu because of his size, stick and experience, but it could easily end up being Pitlick as well.

Waivers for today coming out now will list

Renaud Lavoie @renlavoietva · 2m 2 minutes ago

Waivers: MATTHEW LOMBARDI NYR MICHAEL KOSTKA NYR STEVEN KAMPFER NYR CEDRIC DESJARDINS NYR KEVIN PORTER DET MITCHELL CALLAHAN DET

Waivers: LANDON FERRARO DET JASON LABARBERA ANA FREDERIC ST. DENIS CBJ T.J BRENNAN CHI

80. Hammers says:

We should be thankfull we have a place to go to express our opinions so expecting LT to come up with more insight maybe a bit unfair . My wife thinks i spend to much time on this site as it is .I admit i see some great comments from many people as well as shite from some but isn’t that what its all about . Just don’t retire LT as your needed maybe more than you know.

81. gcw_rocks says:

Woodguy,
    “Marinicin is probably the best LD on the team, even when Nikitin is healthy.”

Pretty scary considering the amount of money MacT has spent on guys like Ference and Nikitin to play ahead of him. almost $8M, including an over 35 contract.

82. Hammers says:

Lowetide: Waivers: KEATON ELLERBY WPG BEN CHIAROT WPG TYLER PITLICK EDM ANTON LANDER EDM KEITH AULIE EDM STEVEN PINIZZOTTO EDM AARON JOHNSON OTT

Surprised on Pitlick and hope his not claimed

83. gcw_rocks says:

Wow, I didn’t think both Lander and Pitlick were going to get flushed.

84. dwillms says:

So Hunt & Acton both made the team? I’m definitely surprised if that’s the case

85. wheatnoil says:

Wow… Pitlick AND Lander. Congrats to Joensuu and Acton!

86. Marcus Oilerius says:

Lander and Pitlick? Surprising.

So, who stays? Yakimov?

87. wheatnoil says:

Marcus Oilerius:

Lander and Pitlick?Surprising.

So, who stays?Yakimov?

Yakimov doesn’t need to be waived, he can just be sent straight down. Same with Khaira.

88. fifthcartel says:

Acton made the team?

I am pretty impressed they went with Hunt over Aulie. I don’t think the last couple years they would have done that.

89. Marcus Oilerius says:

wheatnoil,

I know he doesn’t need to be waived, but I haven’t seen a notice about his reassignment, either.

Can’t believe they kept Acton, again. Eakins was right, he is like a bad smell.

90. wheatnoil says:

Marcus Oilerius:
    wheatnoil,

True… I imagined the reassignment notices will come a bit later. The Oilers twitter haven’t even announced who is on waivers yet, despite it being reported elsewhere. Imagine they’ll make all the roster tweets at once.

91. VanOil says:

I had thought Marincin had helped Aulie make the team. Surprised on Hunt & Acton ~ the bad smell boys. Is Pinizzotto still in the mix? Joensuu, Pinizzotto and Acton as 12,13, 14? With Aulie out Nurse looks to be getting his ‘9’ at a minimum.

92. wheatnoil says:

New post

93. justDOit says:

hunter1909:
    Don’t forget to register your number in the Hunter1909 contest.

Numbers picked so far: 81, 83, 86, 88, 89, 94(twice), 96

Anyone over 18 can enter. Until the puck gets dropped on opening night.

What did you say the prize was again? A quart of Finnish champagne?

I’ll go with 90 – as in 19fkn90!

94. justDOit says:

Retweeted by Bob McKenzie
    Canadiens Montréal ‏@CanadiensMTL now2 minutes ago
    Canadiens acquire Eric Tangradi from the Winnipeg Jets, in return for Peter Budaj and Patrick Holland.

gcw_rocks:
    Woodguy,
    “Marinicin is probably the best LD on the team, even when Nikitin is healthy.”

Prettyscary considering the amount of money MacThas spent on guys like Ference and Nikitin to play ahead of him.almost $8M, including an over 35 contract.

I like Nikitin and think a short term contract to shore up LHD was best.

DIdn’t like the Ference deal from day 1.

justDOit:
    Retweeted by Bob McKenzieCanadiens Montréal ‏@CanadiensMTLnow2 minutes ago

Hahahahaha!

Winnipeg shores up a shaky goaltending situation with…… PETER BUDAJ!!!

wheatnoil: Wow… Pitlick AND Lander. Congrats to Joensuu and Acton!

I don’t keep keep Acton over Lander.

Acton is a smell that won’t go away.

98. justDOit says:

Woodguy,

Ryan Rishaug ‏@TSNRyanRishaug now1 minute ago
    Looks like Hunt and Acton have made Oilers for now.
    Expand Reply Retweet Favorite More

99. justDOit says:

Ryan Rishaug ‏@TSNRyanRishaug now2 minutes ago
    Yakimov and Khaira sent to OKC, left together with Pitlick.

100. matt says:

I was at the game. Nurse looked good. A couple miscues, but he is big and mean and can skate and had some really nice plays. Marincin is nuts. Huge and always in the right place and taking good shots. hunt has a cannon. I saw the coasting folks complain about with Yakupov in the first period, but otherwise he looked fast and smart.

101. Bruce McCurdy says:

Thank you, LT, those are kind words indeed.