PISS CUTTER

The worry is, the Edmonton Oilers hit the ice Thursday and look like the same addled bunch we saw a year ago October. You remember that crew, the ‘comedy on ice’ swarm brigade that provided the most memorable goal in Joffrey Lupul’s career—he was so alone he could have had a five course meal—and the Devan Dubnyk “I can’t stand up for falling down” moment against Winnipeg. That’s the worry.

THE TRUTH SO FAR

The visual this fall has been pretty good. Here are, via HockeyStats.ca, are the 5×5 Corsi for numbers for the preseason games tracked involving Edmonton this preseason:

• Sunday Sept 21 Calgary v Edmonton. EDM36 CAL40 47.3% (this was the Calgary home game)
  • Sunday Sept 21 Calgary v Edmonton. EDM43 CAL 38 53.1% (this was the Edmonton home game)
  • Wednesday Sept 24 Winnipeg v Edmonton EDM41 WPG42 49.4%
  • Monday Sept 29 Winnipeg v Edmonton EDM28 WPG47 37.3%
  • Wednesday Oct 1 Arizona v Edmonton EDM51 ARI35 59.3%
  • Thursday Oct 2 Vancouver v Edmonton EDM33 VAN27 55.0%
  • Saturday Oct 4 Vancouver v Edmonton EDM35 VAN35 50.0%
  • Overall—EDM267 OPP264 50.3%

The Oilers are pretty damn good so far in the Corgi’s, and the kids on Saturday were playing a pretty NHL bunch. These are good signs, ladies and men.

AND YET

And yet, the Oilers haven’t plugged all the holes, even the obvious ones. Leon Draisaitl will get his 40 points, and Mark Arcobello will play a full season, but is there anyone on the planet who truly believes the club did everything it could have at center? I say that knowing Craig MacTavish did a lot this summer, and we talked this morning about it taking another summer to get this team playoff worthy. It remains a true curio that the team stopped this close to balance in 2014 summer, though.

NIKITIN

nikitin2

Nikitia Nikitin practiced today, that’s a very good sign. If he can go Thursday night, I’d estimate the starting 6D to be:

• Nikitin—Fayne
  • Ference—Petry
  • Nurse—Schultz

with Brad Hunt and Oscar Klefbom taking a seat. If the Oilers don’t play Nurse opening night, I would expect a long period of time for those 9 games to elapse. If he does play, expect soft minutes and plenty of offensive zone starts, meaning Andrew Ference will likely play with Jeff Petry to give the middle pairing a chance to survive what should be heavy lifting and tough ZS. Nikitin—Fayne will be the top pairing, don’t see much chance of that changing since Marincin is in the minors.

TIME FOR YOUTH TO TAKE OVER

I’m seeing a few “Taylor Hall and his young crew have failed in the past, now they really need to step up” stories, and want to once again reiterate that the problem isn’t the department of youth. These kids aren’t perfect, but can anyone reasonably argue that the learning curve for rookie Nuge had a bigger impact than Steve Tambellini choosing Cam Barker as his showcase FA addition summer 2011? “Time for Hall to man up” completely misses the point! Hall HAS been a man since he was a kid! The crap trotted out behind him has been the problem all down the line. Man, I hate that argument. Taylor Hall is a piss cutter, and that’s a fact. Good on him for getting the “A” today, I’ll bet money he gets the “C” this time next season.

108 Responses to "PISS CUTTER"

1. Captain's Log says:

If it’s the youth that need to step up I think we should be talking about Marincin (when he gets recalled), Klefbom, Nurse and Schultz.

The Oilers finally have very good veteran depth up front and some decent veteran support at the back end. This team gets something real done if 2 or 3 of those aforementioned guys step it up this year.

If Nikitin is healthy and plays Thursday I hope they send Klefbom down. Get him playing, let Nurse have his 9 games quickly and then decide if he sticks or if Marincin or Klefbom are part of the top 6.

Depth!!! Followed by balance, and then 10 years of an automatic two points from the Flames. Yes please!

Taylor Hall, Nugent-Hopkins, and Eberle (and a happy Yak with a role) almost dragged the Oilers to the playoffs all by themselves in the strike shortened season with a miserable supporting cast.

4. justDOit says:

Mussorgsky’s Night on Bald Mountain.

Because whatever music Spurtznet plays in their opener (most likely Nickelback), I’ll have this on instead!

5. wheatnoil says:

Hunter, I mentioned this before but I think it got missed. I’m voting 84 points… to cap off the celebration of the ’84 Oilers.

6. Adam Wu says:

Taylor Hall has done almost everything anyone could have asked for him.

On the other hand, if he could do even more, then it is possible he might be able to lead this team to the promised land *in spite* of the deficiencies of management.

Part of being a winner and a leader is finding a way to make up for the deficiencies of those that follow you, and the team is not just the players, but the management too.

In other words, there is more than one way to success. One way is for Hall and the other kids to be excellent, and management to be more competent in assembling a support around them. Another is for management to remain unchanged and for the kids to become superhuman.

It is never fair to ask humans to be superhuman, but it would be oh so sweet if they could do it of their own accord….

7. alice13 says:

Sorry, from earlier:

justDOit: Telepathy would go a long way to helping a Hunt/Jultz pairing!

Telepathy is too hard.
    Tanqueray would go a long way to helping a Hunt/Jultz pairing.

Helping me deal with it, at least!

8. hunter1909 says:

wheatnoil,

It’s been written in a book.

9. spoiler says:

What do they do about Draisaitl when playing road games? There will be no way to hide him.

10. hunter1909 says:

godot10: All they need is a supporting cast and coaching. The supporting cast is better. But one of the best D is in OKC and another of the best D is being railroaded out of town, and they still have “that coach”, so there is no reason for hope.

You may be right. if so, McDavid sweepstakes beckons. Just think. If we assume the management are morons, it’s better if they get another top 5 draft pick.

I mean, it’s not like they’re too upset about anything in Recall’s executive suites, are they?

11. rich says:

Those D pairings are the reason why we won’t be close to the playoffs when all is said and done.

Better than last year, sure. But if Petry is headed out and you’ve got all those kids on the blue, and Ference (and likely Nikitin) playing above their established level, the western conference will eat us alive.

MacT was right about setting expectations and them closing the gap. They have. But if we get 83 points this year, I think Ramsey will have done an amazing juggling act on the backend.

12. AZOIL says:

hunter1909,

Hunter you can put me down for 88

13. hunter1909 says:

spoiler:
    What do they do about Draisaitl when playing road games?There will be no way to hide him.

Hide him? This guy might turn out to be the second coming of Jean Beliveau.

14. spoiler says:

hunter1909: Hide him? This guy might turn out to be the second coming of Jean Beliveau.

In his first season? At 18?

15. justDOit says:

spoiler,

Don’t worry, they’ve got Acton to take Draisaitl’s place for road games.

16. spoiler says:

justDOit:
    spoiler,

Don’t worry, they’ve got Acton to take Draisaitl’s place for road games.

I actually don’t mind that idea for the first 20-30 games… till Rawhide has earned his spurs at home and we know how hard he can ride.

17. soup says:

If Hall, Nuge, Eberle, Perron, Pouliot, Gordon, Arco, Petry, Fayne, Schrivens and Fasth all stay at the same level as last year, and…

Yak, Purcell, Schultz, Nitkinin either improve from last year/revert to previous form, and…

Young Kraftwerk delivers as advertised…

This will be a decent team.

Too much to ask?

18. delooper says:

spoiler: In his first season?At 18?

Germans are unusually mature for their age. It’s the WWII guilt that does it.

19. SoCaloil says:

So I got Petry and Nurse in my fantasy pool…as my 6D
    Who to ice this week is the question.
    I can reassign on Sunday night…but for these two games its a big Q?
    Points only league.

On one hand..Nurse should get the soft parade,
    On another, Petry will get more minutes.

20. hunter1909 says:

delooper: Germans are unusually mature for their age.It’s the WWII guilt that does it.

Hermann the German says Hello.

21. justDOit says:

SoCaloil,

I make it a point to never bet on a team I’m emotionally entangled with.

22. justDOit says:

delooper,

Well at least you didn’t go the ‘racial purity’ route with that comment, but remember to not mention the war!

23. G Money says:

soup,

Interesting question. I have a few key changes to your expectations list.

All of the following are now established NHL players, and I expect all of them to be as good as last year: Hall, Eberle, Perron, Pouliot, Gordon, Petry, Fayne

The following folks still have something left to prove – they are young in their NHL careers, and if they can establish something reasonably close to their previous peak perfomance levels as their fair value benchmark, that will go a huge way to making this a decent team: Arco, Scrivens, Fasth, Purcell, Nikitin

But where the rubber really hits the road is with these three guys. They are the key to success next year. And I expect all of them to show substantial jumps from previous performance, especially the first and most important guy of all: RNH, Yak, Jultz. If Nuge goes supernova (and I think he will), this *will* be a decent team.

Years ago, my Dad worked at the Village at Southgate (we lived in tower three). He spent HOURS talking to a man who fought for Germany in WW2. I was going to broadcast school and was around for a lot of their conversations. I think it did both men good. I got more information from my Dad listening to their chats than anything he ever told me directly.

25. Adam Wu says:

soup:

Young Kraftwerk delivers as advertised…

This will be a decent team.

Too much to ask?

All you have to do is be flexible in your definition of “decent”.

Last year’s team was terrible, but they should not have been *as terrible* as they were. It took a confluence of several low-probability malign circumstances to all come together to make it so. Regression to mean and all that, what are the chances of such a confluence happening AGAIN this year?

This year’s team is miles better than last year’s team on paper, even with Marincin in OKC, and last year’s team was better on paper than what happened on the ice. If team luck returns to league average this year there’s no way we shouldn’t see a fairly substantial improvement.

26. Магия 10 says:

It’s a public burden. Like that SS on Dr. Drai’s jersey.

#d0n\’7 m3n710n 7h3 w4r

27. "Frank The Dog" says:

hunter1909: Hermann the German says Hello.

When I was a little fellow, living overseas in the early 60’s, my parents were friends of both British and German folks who had also fought in WW2. There were frequent expat dinner parties, and at one of these, both a British and a German ex-navy officer were there, and as it turned out both were gunnery officers.

The two got into conversation, and when they discovered that they were both gunnery officers, the British fellow speculated that they may have shot at each other.

“No, I did not shoot at you.” our German friend replied, firmly, while giving him an icy stare.
    You can guess why. He felt without a doubt that the British fellow would not be there had Karl shot at him, and that the fellow obviously could not have been a very good shot to make a silly comment like that. Apparently KArl was not a man of many words.

This is a true story, my parents were talking about over breakfast the next day and for weeks afterwards. Not sure how many parties Karl attended after that though. But he did carry his officer’s luger around with him when he went out, we used to play with it at his house with his kids……. Fortunately nothing ever happened. I shudder to think about that, it was back when a bedside drawer was considered a safe repository.

Let’s hope Drai can pass and shoot with the same accuracy as those German naval officers.

28. "Frank The Dog" says:

G Money:
    soup,

Interesting question.I have a few key changes to your expectations list.

But where the rubber really hits the road is with these three guys.They are the key to success next year.And I expect all of them to show substantial jumps from previous performance, especially the first and most important guy of all: RNH, Yak, Jultz.If Nuge goes supernova (and I think he will), this *will* be a decent team.

I don’t doubt that Nuge, Hall and Ebs will be a better #1 line than last year, because coaching, but the exciting part will be for Pou, Drai and Yak to explode as a scoring line. Yak finds his range Pou blocks the sun out the net, and Dr Drai slices them up with surgical precision. I don’t mind Perron either, I actually think he may be a better match then Pou.

29. Mr DeBakey says:

I’ll go with 85 points for the Oil.
    This is, what, 18 points better?
    Talk about confidence.

[If injuries to key personal/Centers, 70 points]

30. G Money says:

Adam Wu: Besides all you have to do is go back to how nearly everyone was projecting last year’s team, before the season started (and before Gagner got injured). The consensus was much more optimistic than what the reality turned out to be, which I think many forget in the pall of despair that was last season’s black hole.

In fairness to me, I was one of the no-playoff pessimists last year, and that was before Gagner got hurt. But I happen to agree with you, last years team also had it’s share of bad luck (if goalkeeping is luck).

For interests sake, here’s a casual predictor of a teams performance year to year, assuming that Corsi, which involves far less sh% and sv% luck, is a more reliable predictor than actual goal differential. My methodology is simply to take the Corsi% and divide it by the GD%. A big positive (>100%) differential means you were converting chances to goals at a higher than expected rate, while a low percentage means the opposite. Since the two should be roughly in tandem, and allowing for some natural variances, I isolated the five best and five worst teams in that regard.

So the following five teams should see the biggest fall in performance this year (off season changes notwithstanding):

Anaheim 117.3%
    Colorado 114.0%
    Boston 113.9%
    Toronto 110.5%
    Minnesota 108.6%

And here are the five biggest likely climbers:

Ottawa 93.1%
    NY Islanders 91.1%
    New Jersey 87.7%
    Florida 86.5%
    Buffalo 85.6%

Edmonton is just off the top 5 pace, at 93.6%. New Jersey is the big question mark since Dellow’s work found that their Corsi is weirdly uncorrelated with success, unlike every other team in the league.

EDIT: Note – done for interests’ sake. Not necessarily rigorous. For example, the really bad teams (Buf, Edm for example) might have their CF% bloated by score effects. (Would be nice to have ES back so I could use EV numbers). Just trying to give some interesting food for thought.

31. Ryan says:

Hey boys, I had a brief encounter with my very-maligned trade Yakupov source recently. I took a lot of heat for promulgating the Oilers plans last year to trade Yakupov since, well, no trade was consummated. Yet, others sources subsequently corroborated the Oilers plans to trade said player last season….

What I’ve heard from this source is that the focus is on 2016 and Rogers Place. That’s it. While we are focused on the here and now, the big boys are looking towards the long ball.

32. G Money says:

“Frank The Dog”,

I think the “true #1 line” scenario is the “decent team almost makes the playoffs” scenario.

Your “#2 line explodes” scenario is the “makes the playoffs but not yet a contender” scenario.

The contender scenario happens when Jultz becomes a capable defender to go with his offensive skills, Nurse develops to the point where every player faces a “Fuck You Pay Me” situation with him in any one-on-one battle, and a ready-for-prime-time Klefbom, MM, Petry (cross your fingers), and Fayne round out the D corps.

The challenge for MacT is to get #2 and #3 to happen before #1 exits stage left.

33. nycoil says:

i hate to throw the wet towel on the corgis in case they catch a cold, but those were all teams expected to be battling the Oilers for an outside shot at the playoffs. Had the preseason been spent with more games against St Louis, Chicago, Anaheim, LA, SJS, etc., I think we’d be a little more worried.

I know I violate the law around here by citing the eye test, but just watching teams like the Rangers vs Blackhawks, etc., the Oilers’ games were still several steps behind in intensity and pace.

That said, the first part of the schedule is “weak.” Team has to get off to a fast start to have any hope.

34. G Money says:

Ryan,

So what did your source have to say about why the Yak trade did not go down?

Given it didn’t, how reliable a source is it i.e. why should we believe him/her about the long ball?

(Honest questions, not asking snarkily at all)

35. justDOit says:

nycoil,

I watched part of a Dallas preseason game, and I didn’t want to mention it, but yikes!!!!

Early season Hunter is the best Hunter.

37. stephen sheps says:

hunter1909:
    wheatnoil,

It’s been written in a book.

Hi Hunter,

please put me down for a Hemsky (83 points). 83 makes sense for some reason, first year the old boys club made it to the finals (and lost), the number of my favourite player from the last time they made the finals (and lost). It also seems consistent with my belief that they’ll be no better than 11th in the conference. That said, I have a feeling that while they won’t be great, they’ll be at least a bit more fun to watch. And not fun in the trainwreck sense, but in the sense that they’ll start to put together a few actual winning streaks and play a reasonable facsimile of NHL calibre hockey.

38. stephen sheps says:

Woodguy,

I meant to say something earlier Woodguy but it’s busy (and stupid) season at the University so commenting here and writing my own stuff has taken a bit of a back seat…
    Anyhoo, your blog has been outstanding. The community here obviously benefits from your presence at this blog, but you’re right up there with LT and Pat. You should write more.

39. hunter1909 says:

Woodguy,

From what little I’ve seen of both players, they play a similar style of “I have the puck you don’t”, endemic to the very best big centremen. Personally I think Hermann’s going to be astonishing with Yaks – as in make the rest of the NHL not be able to look away astonishing.

40. "Frank The Dog" says:

G Money:
    “Frank The Dog”,

True enough but from what I know of team chemistry – and I’m sure you do too – I would expect that the team chemistry and dressing room atmosphere camaraderie is 180 deg. opposite to last year. You have Rocky’s hilarity with Craig’s wisdom and Dallas visibly more relaxed, and it’s bound to be better. Naheel is being treated like a real person again as opposed to an enigmatic foreigner who has to piss into a square toilet bowl, and on it goes. I actually think that even last year’s team would have performed a lot better than they did with this coaching team, but that was then and this is now.

But, had last year’s crap continued, I fully suspect that one or more of the young core would be scanning the possibility of a trade. I would think that Schultz and Petry’s refusal to sign more than a 1 year trade was not only a maximization of their next contract, or a “fuck you show me” by MacT, but also some measure of “fuck you show me too” by Petry and Schultz. I suspect both sides – players and MacT – may be doing their evaluations of each other this year, unless the payer’s minds are already mad eup and they are just waiting for the offers to come in.

But if they are winning, and having fun doing it, and the dressing room and coaching staff are unified and all singing kumbaya choruses so to speak, then yes, we have every chance of getting through 1,2 and 3 before the right kind of “blast off”.

First there’s the little matter of those bastard phlegms (cough) (spit). By Friday we’ll either be planning the parade or sharpening those pitchforks.

41. book¡je says:

Is there a Woodguy blog.

42. Ryan says:

stephen sheps:
    Woodguy,

What course(s) do you teach? I went to the u of eh.

stephen sheps:
    Woodguy,

2 things:

1) Thank you. You are too kind.

2) There’s only two posts and the 2nd one is full of errors. I fear your “outstanding” bar is quite low.

Appreciated sir.

44. stephen sheps says:

Ryan,

Sadly I’m not there. I teach at Trent. Grew up in Edmonton and did my BA at the U… Been in Onterrible doing grad school until recently and teaching since 2007.

45. stephen sheps says:

Woodguy,

Grammar you can work on; however the quality of ideas and the courage to explore those ideas is not something that can be easily taught.

As to the number of posts, so what?! BBTG has been up and running since 2008. I think I’ve written 5 posts about hockey since I got back from the middle east in 2012. It’s not the volume of the writing, it’s what you say when you write it.

(And as to low bars, I taught at Queen’s for 2 years – bar sufficiently lowered. If they’re Canada’s best, we’re @#&ked)

46. Ryan says:

G Money:
    Ryan,

So what did your source have to say about why the Yak trade did not go down?

(Honest questions, not asking snarkily at all)

I can’t go into details for a variety of reasons… Starting with the issue that I haven’t exactly informed my source that I have a habit of posting tidbits at this blog.

Outside of my source, I think it became pretty clear that the Oilers wildly overestimated the market for Yakupov. They put him on the market and there wasn’t much interest.

47. slopitch says:

Hunter, put me down for 91. Fedorov was the best player to play on my sega genesis. Him and Bure. Now that Yak is wearing #10 things will turn around. Confidence is a fickle mistress and once Yak gets his grove back, look out!

I have nothing of value to add until Thursday. I’m reading gare Joyce’s book and thoroughly enjoying.

48. Chris Hext---formerly EasyOil--- says:

Sorry to just drop in and leave this, but wrote a piece last night on the misinterpretation of what exactly Jeff Petry is: http://icenationuk.com/2014/10/07/the-jeff-petry-fallacy/

49. Ryan says:

Woodguy,

Woodguy’s contributions here are outstanding–both here and at his blog. He’s long been a favorite poster here of mine. Heck, he’s been one of the few here whom I’ve bothered to argue/discuss issues with if I disagree.

This place is sort of like a modern day version of Cheers, but maybe that’s because I drink too much beer.

50. JAG-041 says:

If I were Yak, I would be seriously stoked to don the “10” every night in foreign territory after such heroes as Fedorov and Bure
    Once that kid gets on a roll, look out
    I was seriously disheartened the other day by some of the asshole comments on the Oilers birthday post for him
    kid is going to be a gem

51. stephen sheps says:

Ryan,

I thought this was a whisky blog… or have I been away too long?

Adam Wu:
    Taylor Hall has done almost everything anyone could have asked for him.

Blaming a bad team’s record on their best player makes me think your write about sports for a newspaper.

Wanting a very, very good player to be better so they can carry bad players makes me think you write about sports for newspaper in Edmonton.

Ryan:
    Woodguy,

Woodguy’s contributions here are outstanding–both here and at his blog.He’s long been a favorite poster here of mine.Heck, he’s been one of the few here whom I’ve bothered to argue/discuss issues with if I disagree.

54. book¡je says:

Cool about the woodguy blog. I’ve got a blog too. It’s about urban planning and has one post. As soon as I get two posts, I’ll share the link.

soup:

Young Kraftwerk delivers as advertised…

This will be a decent team.

Too much to ask?

I believe the term is:

“Good Lord willing, and the creek don’t rise”

or some variant of that.

spoiler:

Put Fayne or Petry behind him.

Preferably with Marincin.

57. book¡je says:

Lowetide: Agreed. Woodguy is a very smart guy, funny, and a mensch. That’s a rare thing. He makes our corner of the world better for sure.

Honestly, I’m just amazed any wood actually ever gets to this City with the amount of time he spends here. I just thankful he’s not Emergencydrguy or Rumguy.

I’m sorry, I seemed to walked into my wake.

59. stephen sheps says:

book¡je,

I’ll definitely read that!

(Full disclosure 1 – sociologist, therefore I’ll read anything that is relevant to the social world. urban planning fits that bill nicely; full disclosure 2 – I am definitely more invested in reading the work of longtime posters in this little corner than most of what I actually have to read.)

60. stephen sheps says:

Woodguy: I’m sorry, I seemed to walked into my wake.

61. book¡je says:

Woodguy: I’m sorry, I seemed to walked into my wake.

Wait, you’re not dead. Asshole.

hunter1909: mensch

I hope so.

I know a few smart people who had him 1 or 1A in the draft.

63. nycoil says:

slopitch:

Chris Hext—formerly EasyOil—:

Love it.

Spot on.

book¡je: Wait, you’re not dead. Asshole.

That’s why I could type:

“I’ve walked into my wake”

stephen sheps: Sorry, this is my fault. I meant to say something about your blog last month and then spaced out. Clearly it took on a life (or death) of its own

Its been a weird day for my blog as people were asking me on twitter to write again.

Then I come here (never leave really….)and this..

I’m in a twilight zone moment

Apparently I should write.

67. wheatnoil says:

Woodguy: Yes.

That’s why I could type:

“I’ve walked into my wake”

The first stage of grief is denial.

I, for one, will mourn the loss of Woodguy. I always appreciated his contributions and learned a lot from him. I also call dibs on his blog domain!

Woodguy worked in the wood industry I recall. He was also made of wood, but he had a really good brain for knowing. Poplar! I think he was poplar.

69. Gordies Elbow says:

Hunter points: 99 points.

BOOK¡JE points: 42 points.

70. Gordies Elbow says:

Bi-poplar?

71. book¡je says:

I remember Woodguy well. There was this this one time we said a few nice things about him and he joked about ‘walking in on his wake’. I called him an asshole and we laughed as he bought me a beer. I’m telling you, that was typical Woodguy. Man, what I wouldn’t do to have him walk in here now and make the same joke (sniff).

72. justDOit says:

book¡je,

… and buy you another beer?

73. nycoil says:

book¡je:
    I remember Woodguy well.There was this this one time we said a few nice things about him and he joked about ‘walking in on his wake’.I called him an asshole and we laughed as he bought me a beer.I’m telling you, that was typical Woodguy.Man, what I wouldn’t do to have him walk in here now and make the same joke (sniff).

74. book¡je says:

justDOit:
    book¡je,

… and buy you another beer?

That’s primarily what I was looking for.

75. book¡je says:

nycoil: Yes, so unfortunate what happened to Woodguy at the Marincin bonfire vigil. Who was it that told us Oil, fires, and Wood don’t mix? They actually mix very well. Really going to miss that guy.

I feel bad for bringing the sparklers.

76. thejonrmcleod says:

To remember Woodguy, I wrote a poem.

How much wood could a Woodguy buy
    If a Woodguy could buy wood?

77. OilFire says:

thejonrmcleod:
    To remember Woodguy, I wrote a poem.

How much wood could a Woodguy buy
    If a Woodguy could buy wood?

Is this a Viagra joke?

78. cabbiesmacker says:

100% off topic but I just happened across this interesting stat on the Edmonton Oilers.

4th highest average ticket price in the NHL. Pardon?? Really??? For what? All the quality hockey they’ve provided their fans since 2006?

I wonder where that average price will sit in the rankings when that spanky new “citizens of Edmonton paid for tribute to Kates’ ego” opens it’s doors a couple of years from now?

Tampa Bay at 25% of the Oiler ticket is a smokin hot bargain. They actually have a really good coach, awesome GM and are on their way up the standings versus….well you know. None of the above.

I don’t know which to be. Po’d at the teams pompous and useless management or embarrassed for the people that actually go to watch the shitshow these goofs have the gall to put on the ice.

As for the Leafs…..well that’s just very, very sad isn’t it?

79. justDOit says:

Sale on wood, guy?

80. justDOit says:

cabbiesmacker,

Dude. Too soon…

81. book¡je says:

cabbiesmacker,

Supply AND DEMAND

82. dangilitis says:

Couldn’t agree with you more LT, with respect to your point about putting more pressure on the young guns. EJ has a video preview on its website today entitled “Edmonton Oilers need more from marquee players in 2014-15” – Seriously? If they squeeze another 10 points from Hall to get this team into the playoffs? Is that all we’re missing? 80 pts from Eberle? 70-80 from Nuge? Maybe people are forgetting that cumulatively, 10 more goals from the top line ain’t going to be enough!

Drives me bonkers when I hear and read shit like that. If all lines came out even against the lines they are matched up against, we would have a fighting chance. Maybe that #1 line as a whole didn’t cut it against the top lines in the West, but that could have been by one of the other lines taking advantage of weaker opponents. They are as much to blame for the horrible goal differential. Them, and Devan…

83. nycoil says:

cabbiesmacker,

Hmm. Interesting but they’re using resale value. Rangers tickets aren’t a hot commodity early in the season when other sports, namely football, are on.

I’d think that face value Rangers tickets (and Leafs, etc.) are higher than Oilers. But not sure. Lower Bowl definitely must be, where it’s around $330 for face value off to the side near the hashmarks and $500 around the red line.

84. Lois Lowe says:

Woodguy,

Ignore your family and their needs. Write more often.

Sincerely,

The Internet

I have no words.

*sniffle*

86. jp says:

Guess this is likely off topic, and I apologize if it’s been discussed already.

But I was thinking about the likelihood that the Oilers send Nurse back to Jr. vs keeping him all year. When is the last time the Oilers gave a Jr. eligible player games and then sent him down? I can’t think of one off hand. Maybe I’m missing someone obvious. But it seems that they pretty much always keep these guys, no?

87. Hammers says:

By this time Saturday night are we 2 and 0 . over / under . Will we be happy will we be sad , It all depends on ????

88. supernova says:

this thread is labelled piss cutter.

LT calls Hall a man since he was a kid, and a piss cutter for a fact

Woodguy gets loads of compliments and praise in same thread!

therefore;

Woodguy is a man since he was a kid and a Piss Cutter, that’s a fact!

89. slopitch says:

nycoil: Sega Genesis? Roenick was God in the game of which I think you speak, but I would neither recommend 27 nor 97.

Roenick vs Gretzky scene from Swingers is an absolute classic.

90. nycoil says:

slopitch,

Glad someone got it. Thank you!

91. cabbiesmacker says:

book¡je:
    cabbiesmacker,

Supply AND DEMAND

Unless of course the market is…well…you know

92. cabbiesmacker says:

nycoil:
    cabbiesmacker,

One would like to think so but as Uncle Cy says…”Nah”. Drag your mouse across the sections (non primo) and have a gander at what single seats are selling for. “Would you like the arm section sir or the arm and a leg?

Criminal considering

93. Adam Wu says:

cabbiesmacker: Loaded heavily on the DEMAND side. What exactly are they supplying that creates this demand? Marketing guru’s around the world need to know. How to successfully market a faulty product or service for maximum dollars for extended time periods when the entire market knows it’s garbage in advance of said purchase. It’s pure bloody genius.

Unless of course the market is…well…you know

You make the assumption that what the market demands is a *winning* hockey team.

And while that may be what some vocal members of the market may say, true marketing gurus know that the true measure of what the market really wants is not what they say, but what they pay.

If the home game that follows EVERY loss is played in an empty rink, you may see management be a little bit more concerned about icing the most competitive product possible.

94. nycoil says:

Keep an eye on CBJ. May hear those Perron mumurs again.

Aaron Portzline @Aportzline · 2h 2 hours ago

Told #CBJ would consider pursuit of a big-ticket, top-6 winger if it sees no end in sight to Nathan Horton’s back woes.

Aaron Portzline @Aportzline · 1h 1 hour ago

@Aportzline how long can we expect Dubi to be out? // Club says indefinitely.

Boone Jenner also out with a broken hand.

95. mumbai max says:

I think we make the playoffs if the following three things happen

1. The HEN line gets 230 combined points.

2. Yak gets 25 goals

3. The goalies have a combined .920 save percentage

It’s a long shot, but none of these are impossible.

96. Chicken Laser says:

Was that the Joffrey Lupul goal where he closed his hand on the puck long enough to do a full pirouette, then dropped it right where he fancied shooting it, and then scored? Why was I the only one who wondered about a penalty?

97. tcho says:

hunter1909,

Please put me down for 75 points.

(Injuries will occur, and development is never in a straight line.)

98. mumbai max says:

hunter1909,

90 points please

99. fuzzy muppet says:

hunter1909,

Put me down for 82 points.

Slightly improved but disappointing. Mainly because I have zero belief in Eakins as a head coach. Hope he proves me wrong.

100. frjohnk says:

Will Acton on the power play cause Pouliot is injured?

Plan the parade

101. Ryan says:

Woodguy: Early season Hunter is the best Hunter.

I have a feeling that Hunter will get some separation from the pack early on in terms of Book;je’s per 60.

102. PhrankLee says:

Hunter,

73 Points, please. This lineup will sag in the middle.

103. Ryan says:

Chicken Laser,

The leafs scored some nice goals on us last year. 🙂 I’ve got that one play burned in my head… But I can’t remember which Leaf strong armed the Nuge to create a turnover and eventual game-winning goal? Kessle? Good Gord that was terrible officiating.

104. haters says:

Omg one more sleep !!
    Question. Is Bryz marginally better than either of our current goalies based on what we know ? I liked the man when he was here he seemed to settle a very troubled team down .

105. rickithebear says:

Last year we had 4 top 90 pt (1st line) forwards from lockout:
    Hall (6); Eberel (26); Perron (56); RNH (69)
    1 top 180 Yak(164)

we were 14-14-4 versus the east conferecne.
    1-9 .100 with 2 of the these 5 players out.

13-5-4 .682 when we had 4+ top 180 forwards.
    we added Purcell (75) and Pouliot (154)
    means minimum 7 top 180 forwards.
    I would like to believe that kind of depth is more .682 than .100

last year we were 15-30-5 .350 versus the west.

we were 6-2-3 .682 against CGY; WPG; NSH all year.
    so we were 9-28-2 .263 versus the rest of the west.

With Scrivens, Fasth, Bryz
    we were 7-11 against the top group
    5-3 against ANA, VCR, ARZ
    2-8 against LAK, STL, COL, SJS, MIN

Since end of season we have added
    Arco 2C
    Purcell 2RW
    Pouliot 3LW
    Draisatl 3C

Nikitin 2/3D
    Fayne 3/4D
    Nurse ???????????
    Klefbom ????????????
    Hunt ??????????

The question becomes:

Can our new Forward depth and D depth
    Handle the teams we had problems with.
    CHI; SJS; LAK; STL; COL; MIN; BOS

106. Darrell says:

LT – earlier this Summer I asked how long The Oilers could stretch out the 9 game trial. If I remember correctly you told me as long as they wanted but no one would do it as it makes no sense. Any change in your thought process since Nurse and Zee German have made the team?

Cheers,