THE AUTUMN LEAVES (DRIFT BY MY WINDOW)

My brother and I would get up early in the morning—long before light—and turn on the big outside light. This was 17 miles from Maidstone, and in fall and winter the quiet and the chill would combine to make things a little eerie. We had a saw horse as a goal and then two buckets in front to represent the goalie, with only a few spots where the puck could go (it’s amazing how expert you can get finding those little areas when the bucket never moves). Saturday’s were the best, because school and church weren’t a factor so we could play forever (or it seemed). We had chores (goats, coal and shoveling snow, plus homework) but that little part of Saskatchewan where my brother and I played hockey with the big outside light on is as clear in my memory as any from my childhood. It still irks me that he got to be Bobby Orr—the older brother is a frustration only younger brothers can understand—so I’d have to pretend to be Dave Keon or Jean Ratelle or (gack) Yvan Cournoyer. I have so many memories (have you ever seen a pair of eyes reflecting back at you from the bluff just down the way? I hated coyotes—don’t now, did then) of that time, and even though the internet makes everything immediate I wish you could know (just one time) the thrill of getting the first Hockey News with stats from the early regular season. Man. It was a thrill.

THE POWER PLAY

seals

In preseason the Oiles power play looked much the same as a year ago. Last season Edmonton finished with 46 PP goals (league average: 48) but with the talent available one imagines Craig Ramsay can squeeze a half dozen or so from the group—and that could be a couple of wins right there. Figure out a way to stop bleeding shorthanded goals and get the power-play goals against down and that’s three or four wins. If the Oilers can score 50 power-play goals and give up 44, reduced the shorthanded goals against from 13 to 6, that’s a net positive of 17 goals. It all adds up! The Oilers led the league in one goals-for category (4×4 goals) but were miles from good at 5×5, so there’s plenty of work to do everywhere. At evens, it comes down to the possession game, more shots, more controlled sorties, and on it goes. The clay is available in abundance, and new eyes and ideas are coming to this group. It’s a big damn deal.

GRETZKY

gretzky4

Wayne Gretzky says he was sold, not traded in this article out last night. We know, Wayne. We always did. John Short told me the entire story ages ago and there was probably a point that the damage caused could have been undone and the deal reversed. However, by the time Slats said “say the word and this ends” there was too much water under the bridge. People are like that, you know. Piss on them enough and they go away. Credit 99 for being so positive about Edmonton and his Oilers all down the line, not sure I could have refrained from lashing out, especially at such a young age. He’s a truly fine man.

NUGE

Ryan Nugent-Hopkins is poised for a big season. Dubbed a power-play witch early on by Tyler Dellow, RNH was healthy and splendid throughout TC and led the team in scoring during preseason. I’ve been watching and reading a lot of predictions that suggest Edmonton will run in place of improve slightly this season, part of it possibly due to Nuge’s season a year ago. If Dallas Eakins doesn’t run him out there 28:12 (Oct 7) the young man shouldn’t wear down over the long year.

ORIGINAL RE 14-15

NAME GP G A PTS
L TAYLOR HALL 73 33 50 83
R JORDAN EBERLE 80 30 38 68
C RYAN NUGENT-HOPKINS 82 24 44 68
R DAVID PERRON 72 23 29 52
L NAIL YAKUPOV 72 21 21 42
D JUSTIN SCHULTZ 78 12 29 41
R TEDDY PURCELL 80 11 28 39
C LEON DRAISAITL (rookie)
66 12 22 34
D KEITH AULIE 31 0 2 2
C WILL ACTON 12 0 2 2
R STEVE PINIZZOTTO 10 0 2 2
D DARNELL NURSE (rookie)
9 0 2 2
R IIRO PAKARAINEN (rookie) 7 0 1 1
C BOGDAN YAKIMOV (rookie)
2 0 0 0
D BRANDON DAVIDSON (rookie)
2 0 0 0
L MITCHELL MOROZ (rookie)
1 0 0 0
R ANDREW MILLER (rookie)
1 0 0 0
D DAVID MUSIL (rookie)
1 0 0 0

RE TOTAL FOR 2014-15 1475 226 414 640
LAST YEAR’S ACTUAL TOTALS 1475 199 348 547

The season is just around the corner. Hockey tonight, Oilers tomorrow. Music!

LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE

farrow1

At 10 this morning, Lowdown hits TSN 1260. Guests include Jonathan Wills (10:05) who will give his take on the Oilers 2014-15 and we’ll chat about the importance of a quick start to the year. At 10:25 Sean Bissell, Campus Director at Donnan Hockey School joins me for Ask the Coach. Travis Yost from TSN will be by around 11 to discuss the Senators and all of the NHL in terms of possible surprises, and then Noah Love from the National Post previews the Toronto Maple Leafs for the coming season.

@Lowetide_ on twitter and 10-1260 via text. Talk soon.

172 Responses to "THE AUTUMN LEAVES (DRIFT BY MY WINDOW)"

1. mumbai max says:

I think we make the playoffs if the following three things happen:

1. The HEN line gets 230 combined points. (85/75/70?)
    2. Yak gets 25 goals.
    3. The goalies have a combined .920 save percentage.

It’s a long shot, but none of these are impossible.

2. wintoon says:

This may brand me as a true optimist but I sense that both Nuge and Draisaitl will have big years. While the Nuge having a big year is not totally unexpected, suggesting that Draisaitl achieves a significant point total is a little off the radar.

I realize he is just 18 but the puck skills he demonstrates, his on ice vision and the quality of players he will play with will have an impact. The key to it all will be how well he starts. If he starts well he will generate confidence and that will make the difference. Quite simply, he has a tremendous tool kit and we will see it this year.

3. "Frank The Dog" says:

From a comment I just wrote on Brownlee’s latest blog, not sure what response I’ll ge tthere if any, but pertinent to how we will do this year:

Last year we lost:
    10 games by 2 goals.
    10 games by 1 goal
    9 games in OT.

I figured that this team could:
    Send 1/2 of the 2 goal losses to OT, and win 3 of those: 8 points
    Send all of last year’s 1 goal losses to OT and win 1/2 of those: 15 points
    Win all of last year’s OT games: 9 points.

99 Coach of the year points, as you say, God willing and the Creek don’t rise.
    On the other hand, even with injuries and collapsed centers, I don’t see less than 75 points.
    FWIW.

4. hunter1909 says:

Currently Official Hunter1909 Challenge Contest entries; as of today, Your name should be on the list/and/or with correct number,

-8,000,000 points Pouzar

65 points – Commonfan14
    69 points – Yeti
    73 points – Godot10
    75 points – GCW Rocks; Younger Oil; Tcho
    78 points – Gogliano; Truth
    79 points – Marcus Oilerus; DSF; Wunderbar; Tubes
    80 points – NYCOil; Gerta Rauss
    81 points – Gret99sky; Snowman; Bank Shot; “Steve Smith”; Saddleblazer; hoser313
    82 points – The other John; Geowal; Fuzzy Muppet;
    95 points – JP; Henry; Bookje
    96 points – Magisterrex; Ashley
    99 points – Gordies Elbow
    100 points – Dessert111

5. Ca$h-Money! says:

“Frank The Dog”:
    I don’t see less than 75 points.
    FWIW.

Music!

I mean, death metal… but still music.

6. Ca$h-Money! says:

Hunter,

Put me down for 93.

7. cahill says:

I think a major part of the PP was the SHGA (13) most in the league. Which kills the momentum of a game. Last year the Oilers had 46 PPG which ranked 19th – not great but not horrible but once you factor in 13 shorthanded goals it ranks them a net 33 which ranked tied for 4th worst ahead of FLA, BUF & CGY.

With the talent they have they should not be a bottom 5 PP team.

8. regwald says:

Count me in for 78 points

9. Pouzar says:

hunter1909

Put me down for 67. Same as last year.

If they have no interest in icing the best team I no interest in being optimistic.
    The MM demotion killed any enthusiasm I had going in. Killed it.

10. Ca$h-Money! says:

cahill:
    I think a major part of the PP was the SHGA (13) most in the league.Which kills the momentum of a game.Last year the Oilers had 46 PPG which ranked 19th – not great but not horrible but once you factor in 13 shorthanded goals it ranks them a net 33 which ranked tied for 4th worst ahead of FLA, BUF & CGY.

With the talent they have they should not be a bottom 5 PP team.

I’m of the opinion that it’s worse than that. I can’t quantify it, but man is a short handed goal a killer… feels worse than simply -1. This is especially the case when it combines with a disproportionate number of softies at even strength. It’s gotta be a drag on the team’s overall mental health. You’ve gotta think that you are living in a state of perpetual fear.

11. Ducey says:

hunter1909,

Put me down for 87 pts. A 20 point improvement seems reasonable, especially with all the one goal losses last year.

LT and Deadman are good company.

Thanks for doing this.

12. mumbai max says:

Bohologo:
    Lovely opener, LT. Thanks for that evocation.

Hey, is it too soon to start talking about how much I hate the Flames? Because I do.

Also, I really hate the Habs.

And the Leafs.

I hate.

(Let me know if I’m jumping the gun here.)

I am praying to Gord for an 0-3 Leaf start. 0-3 by Sunday!

13. ChiliChunk says:

hunter1909,

I will go with 82 points.

14. Bar_Qu says:

Thanks for that vignette LT. My only (younger) brother got some news which made your story more poignant and has had me thinking of my times with him a lot this week. And reminded me I am now in the ‘aging’ category of my life – my students have been trying to inform me of this for years, but I’ve refused to believe them! 😉

I am excited for the season to start, if only to end questions that have been debated for the last 4 months. Anticipation is great, but getting some actual results and seeing what difference the new hires have made will be even more enjoyable.

I plan to have my laptop open as the game goes on tomorrow night, commenting with you all as I have done for the last 4(? or is it 5?) years here. Thanks for the ridiculous jokes and beautiful banter everyone. It is a nice island of insanity in the midst of the sea of misery that is Oilers fandom.

15. Bar_Qu says:

mumbai max: I am praying to Gord for an 0-3 Leaf start. 0-3 by Sunday!

Amen

16. justDOit says:

Bohologo,

I second that notion, and no – it’s never too early. I agree on all counts, except for the Habs. I started to enjoy watching them last year.

17. PerryK says:

hunter1909,

I will take 93. No one else seems to have it.
    Edit: Oops I see Ca$h Money got that. Oh well I still like that number.

18. justDOit says:

mumbai max: I am praying to Gord for an 0-3 Leaf start. 0-3 by Sunday!

Jonas Siegel ‏@jonasTSN1050 20m20 minutes ago
    Defence: Phaneuf-Robidas. Gardiner-Rielly. Percy-Polak.

I think you can save your prayers for something that you really need – like a good parking spot.

19. Factotum says:

I say 91 points.

20. vinotintazo says:

Part of the reason the PP stunk last year was that everyone was trying to set up Ryan Smyth for the Record breaking PP Goal for the last quarter of the season. Should be better this year.

21. vinotintazo says:

I say 80 points.

22. Hammers says:

As McT said we will improve but he didn’t say to what extent . Maturity in all last years kids , Fayne & Nikitin , Pouliot & Purcell are all good add on’s .Biggest problem may in fact be chemistry . Goalies splitting games makes sense. “D” doesn’t , as I don’t like the initial pairs . Forward lines will change within 4-5 games as thats Eakins style . I think if I was McT & Eakins I would let them see all the TSN / Sportsnet comments together and do it today . This is what the so called experts think but what do you think . Full transparency . Somehow they all need the exact same goal .

23. ohhell says:

Put me down for 80 please. I hope I am low, but feel we are only a few injuries away from the lottery.

24. icecastles says:

hunter1909,

I’m gonna pick 83 points, for the poetic strangeness of getting to 83 in the first full year without Hemsky on the Roster.

25. BareHair says:

LT thanks for the stirring of a long forgotten past.

I spent many hours in the winter with my brother playing hockey in the frozen sloughs on the Alberta prairies.

Only negative was that it was the dreaded leafs we were all wanting to be ….cough cough choke choke.

I would say put me down for 95 points for the Oil, Calder for the German Wizard, 50 G for Hall, 40 for Yak….

and dare I say even the playoffs.

How do I add a picture to my profile as I am a newb here?

26. Cobbler says:

hunter1909,

Please mark me down for 89 points, in honour of Sam Gagner.

27. su_dhillon says:

Lovely story LT but goats? Were they bothered by your onion belt?

On Baby Nuge its funny how quickly people forget just how good he was as an 18 year old, how everyone, not just us marveled about what type of player he was going to become. Do you guys remember that interview with Ferraro where Ray couldn’t believe the things baby Nuge was seeing?

Since then Nuge has have had injuries, off season surgeries and the general Oiler incompetence which can wear down anyone. This year he comes in fully healthy, looks stronger and primed for a major jump this year.

28. kinger_OIL says:

96 points – Magisterrex; Ashley
    99 points – Gordies Elbow
    100 points – Dessert111

Put me down for 77…

29. Jordan says:

hunter1909,

I’m gonna go with 97 points, because 93+4 = PLAYOFFS BABY!

30. su_dhillon says:

Hunter I will join team 86ers

31. J-Bo says:

LT,

I love that you are a writer and not simply a blogger or journalist. You skip the light fandango my friend. Keep the big light on and keep painting the picture for us…

Sincerely,

Jesse B

32. OilClog says:

96pts

33. zatch says:

Hunter, is that for how many points the Oilers will get this season or how many points a particular player will get?

34. cahill says:

Ca$h-Money!: I’m of the opinion that it’s worse than that.I can’t quantify it, but man is a short handed goal a killer…feels worse than simply -1. This is especially the case when it combines with a disproportionate number of softies at even strength.It’s gotta be a drag on the team’s overall mental health.You’ve gotta think that you are living in a state of perpetual fear.

Oh I completely agree. It’s hard to put a value on shorthanded goals or blown coverage but man its a killer on moral.

35. SoCaloil says:

Put me down for 82

36. Diesel says:

Nice story LT.

My Dad used to make a killer rink in the backyard of our home in Riverbend. One year, my Nan gifted our family one of those 4-foot tall plastic decorative Santa Clause’s that lights up from within. Surely she envisioned it being nestled into a snow drift near the front window – illuminating the night and saying to all who passed by that our family was ready to do battle in the war on Christmas.

Instead, my dad suggested we use it for a goalie and within two days the cold, brittle plastic Santa had been obliterated into a thousand pieces of holiday spirit.

This is a favourite memory of mine and provides nice insight into how great my Dad is.

The Oilers will finish the season with 88 points.

If we are out of it by Christmas my heart will do its best impression of that poor, poor Santa Clause.

37. delooper says:

I’ll take 98 points in this point game we’re playing. What does it have to do with again? I’m choosing 98 because it hasn’t been picked yet.

38. frjohnk says:

90 points and 8th place in the west

39. "Steve" For Real, Let's Undulate "Smith" says:

hunter1909,

I haven’t actually entered your contest (yet) – what I’d said was “put me down for 81 pints“, because Oilers.

40. book¡je says:

zatch:

Points the Oilers will get – I have no idea what the prize is.

41. denny33 says:

vinotintazo,

*************************************************************************************************
    That ..and they were so preoccupied with fishing the puck out of their own net….although, J. Schultz did look like he got the hang of it by the end of the year.

42. Marcus Oilerius says:

Well, if no one else is going to do it, I will – http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YS3GQverRiQ

And yes I am watching tonight. Habs-Leafs, Flames-Nucks.

43. Dipstick says:

hunter1909,

Put me down for 88 points. Moderately optimistic.

44. Tapdog says:

Hunter1909
    93 pts sounds about right:)

45. justDOit says:

Marcus Oilerius: And yes I am watching tonight. Habs-Leafs, Flames-Nucks.

Go Habs! Go… uh… well, as long as it isn’t tied after 60…

46. TheOtherJohn says:

Have a deadline of this Friday, $5 per entry. You can only have 1 entry, i.e. one # and winner wins/splits the pot. If you do not pay the entry fee and your # wins you do not share the pot

47. oilinthepeg says:

Took Nuge over Eberle in my hockey pool draft last night…
    Hoping for a big year!

92 points – Raventalon40
    94 points – Hunter1909; Suntory Hanzo; Marc
    95 points – JP; Henry; Bookje
    96 points – Magisterrex; Ashley
    99 points – Gordies Elbow
    100 points – Dessert111

83 pts for this optimistic pessimist.

49. John Chambers says:

hunter1909,

88 points, Hunter. So close yet so far.

50. rickithebear says:

oilinthepeg:
    Took Nuge over Eberle in my hockey pool draft last night…
    Hoping for a big year!

when we ran P v P at end of year:
    Hall .38 GPG 1.31 PPG
    Eberle .58 GPG 1.25 PPG
    RNH .31 GPG .92 PPG

51. zatch says:

hunter1909,

In that case, 72 points. If they suck, I’m closer to being right. If they are better, than I get to cheer more. Win-win.

52. T0ML says:

hunter1909,

Put me down for 96 because its the reverse of pleasure …. and the oilers havent given us pleasure so why start ? ….. That and im cautiously optimistic ….

53. regwald says:

mumbai max: I am praying to Gord for an 0-3 Leaf start. 0-3 by Sunday!

Reggie @regwald · 54m 54 minutes ago

Opening night NHL. Things to be thankful for: 1. Leaves have never won cup while I am alive 2. Leaves have never had a cup picture in colour

54. soup says:

Hunter,

Was about to complain about being left off of your list with my 90 point forecast. Was actually becoming fairly bitter about it. Then I noticed that I have been changed from “Soup” to “So Up” and immediately cheered up.

What’s in a name? More than you think, it appears.

55. leadfarmer says:

Put me down for 84 points.

56. oilinthepeg says:

Hey, Hunter.
    Thanks for doing this.
    I’ll take 92.

57. linkfromhyrule says:

rickithebear,

Just curious, but can you be more specific about when we ran this p v p? How big of a sample size are we talking here?

58. vangolf says:

hunter1909,

Put me down for 76 pts. thanks for keeping track!

59. Lucinius says:

I’ll take 90 points in the ‘someone will almost certaintly be right!’ pool.

60. Pretendergast says:

@TSNbobmckenzie TB puts Richard Panik on waivers.

Certainly would be an upgrade on uncle jesse, and its free:)

61. JAG-041 says:

@hunter
    put me down for 88
    I don’t have to pay for this competition do I?
    just a little fun?
    if so where do I sign up?

62. Ca$h-Money! says:

Pretendergast:
    @TSNbobmckenzie TB puts Richard Panik on waivers.

Certainly would be an upgrade on uncle jesse, and its free:)

Hey, take it easy. No need to Panik….

HEYOOO!

63. LoDog says:

Line combos today, klef / schultz a lot better than Hunt there.

Hall-RNH-Eberle
    Pouliot-Arcobello-Purcell
    Perron-Draisaitl-Yakupov
    Hendricks-Gordon-Joensuu
    Acton & Gazdic

Defensive combinations:

Ference-Petry
    Nikitin-Fayne
    Klefbom-Schultz
    Nurse-Hunt

64. justDOit says:

Ca$h-Money!: Hey, take it easy.No need to Panik….

HEYOOO!

I was going to say that the Oilers already have enough panik in their game.

65. Pouzar says:

Drai goes with #29 afterall

66. JustWatt79 says:

hunter1909,

I know I’m only a lurker here but I love this site like family. I’ll join the 83 pt crew. I know 83 pts won’t get us to the promised land but I’m betting that the real 83 takes his team there. All the best Ales, even if it is with the Stars. *spits

67. steveb12344 says:

92 points – Raventalon40
    94 points – Hunter1909; Suntory Hanzo; Marc
    95 points – JP; Henry; Bookje
    96 points – Magisterrex; Ashley
    99 points – Gordies Elbow
    100 points – Dessert111

I noticed noone took 93. So in honour of nuge having a breakout year I will pick 93

68. BlueNoteNorth says:

Put me down for 95 pts.

69. Eastern_Lee says:

89 Points

70. russ99 says:

Ok, I’ll Make a guess.

If MacT and Eakins are right – 83 pts
    If the wheels fall off – 74 points.

Let’s meet in the middle and call it 79.

Btw: What kind of dimwit doesn’t name a starting goalie for tomorrow’s opener?

71. vangolf says:

LoDog:
    Line combos today, klef / schultz a lot better than Hunt there.

Hall-RNH-Eberle
    Pouliot-Arcobello-Purcell
    Perron-Draisaitl-Yakupov
    Hendricks-Gordon-Joensuu
    Acton & Gazdic

Defensive combinations:

Ference-Petry
    Nikitin-Fayne
    Klefbom-Schultz
    Nurse-Hunt

72. vinotintazo says:

steveb12344,

put me down for 80 points.

73. PaperDesigner says:

Wow. I really am completely invisible on this blog.

I had a prediction right after the initial post. But I guess people get so bored of the preamble I tend to put before I actually put down a number, that it gets completely lost.

Fine, let me pick a different total anyway. I’m feeling cynical today, so…

I PICK 74 POINTS.
    I PICK 74 POINTS.
    I PICK 74 POINTS.
    I PICK 74 POINTS.I PICK 74 POINTS.
    I PICK 74 POINTS.I PICK 74 POINTS.
    I PICK 74 POINTS.I PICK 74 POINTS.
    I PICK 74 POINTS.I PICK 74 POINTS.

I hope that’s visible.

74. VanOil says:

vangolf: I don’t like seeing Pouliot away from Yak and Drai.Love Perron, but not sure he compliments those two as well.

Agreed

75. Gerta Rauss says:

book¡je: Points the Oilers will get – I have no idea what the prize is.

The winner gets a box of homemade wine and an all expenses paid weekend with Hunter

76. Bag of Pucks says:

Hunter, please count me in with the Orwellian total of 84.

77. book¡je says:

I notice that nobody has picked 74 points yet.

78. Yeti says:

vangolf: I don’t like seeing Pouliot away from Yak and Drai. Love Perron, but not sure he compliments those two as well.

79. rogue says:

Hunter……………..89 points, please.

80. justDOit says:

russ99: Btw: What kind of dimwit doesn’t name a starting goalie for tomorrow’s opener?

A dimwit who is saving something for tomorrow’s presser? Maybe a dimwit who talked to one of his goalies this morning, who isn’t feeling well? There are a lot of known unknowns in this.

81. jfry says:

Hunter, I’ll take 86

82. LoDog says:

Yeti: I (politely) disagree. Those lines make a lot of sense to me. Perron – Drai – Yak has to be effective with easy zone starts, competition match ups. That leaves the PAP line to be a third responsible match-up option.

I can see benefits to both although having two guys on their off wing could be troublesome. I suspect those two LW will interchange a bit,

83. PaperDesigner says:

book¡je:
    I notice that nobody has picked 74 points yet.

Egads. On the bright side, I probably have a bright future as a criminal mastermind. Or a diabolical super villain.

84. vangolf says:

85. Marcus Oilerius says:

I noticed nobody picked 74 points yet. My coworker wants to go in on 74.

86. Ducey says:

Pretendergast:
    @TSNbobmckenzie TB puts Richard Panik on waivers.

Certainly would be an upgrade on uncle jesse, and its free:)

I looked at that.

He is big (6’2″, 212lbs), young (23) and a former 2nd rounder. He put up 13 points in ~50 games last year with TB. His advanced stats are not terribly good (his CF% is good but his Corsi Rel is -4) and he did not have tough zone starts last year. He has never really lit up the AHL either. He played 12 minutes a night last year, so it looks like he was some kind of 3rd line guy.

Joensuu is big (2″ taller), 27 and a former 2nd rounder. He had 5 pts in 42 games with the Oilers in a 4th line role. He played 9 minutes a night. His CF% suck but his Corsi Rel is -.5. He has similar AHL stats to Panik.

I don’t know a lot about Panik, but he doesn’t seem like much of an upgrade (if any) on Joesnuu (or my man Pinizzotto).

87. Bag of Pucks says:

Godot, I’m surprised your point total forecast is so low?

If Eakins is as bad as you say he is, one presumes the early tire fire will lead to his rapid dismissal and the ascent of either Nelson or Ramsay? That should project towards a nice mid-to-late season ascent, no?

The coach used training camp to decide who his 5th centre would be, and who is 4th line RW would be, and how to justify sending his best LD to OKC. He is using the practices before the start of the season to decide how to allocate personnel on his 2nd and 3rd lines.

89. cahill says:

Eric O’Dell – 6′ 24-year-old, point-per-game AHL RHS center placed on waivers today. The folks at Artic Ice Hockey had him rated 9th on their top 25 under 25 and have him down as a two-way center.

Should the Oiler’s claim him? I think he’d be a better option than young Acton as the 13th forward.

90. HiddenDarts says:

Put me down for 83 points. I’ve watched the Oil religiously for four years, casually for four beyond that, but last season was by far the least entertaining. As long as I don’t have to watch last year’s hockey, I will continue as a fan.

But if I’m skipping live game trips in March and April to LA or Anaheim, this may be my last year. Pains me to say it.

91. ChiliChunk says:

LoDog:
    Line combos today, klef / schultz a lot better than Hunt there.

Hall-RNH-Eberle
    Pouliot-Arcobello-Purcell
    Perron-Draisaitl-Yakupov
    Hendricks-Gordon-Joensuu
    Acton & Gazdic

Defensive combinations:

Ference-Petry
    Nikitin-Fayne
    Klefbom-Schultz
    Nurse-Hunt

Different than reported here:

Chris Wescott @TheChrisWescott · 1h 1 hour ago
    #Oilers forward lines today: Hall-RNH-Eberle, Pouliot-Draisaitl-Yakupov, Perron-Arcobello-Purcell & Hendricks-Gordon-Joensuu

92. book¡je says:

I’ve got 95.1, but my dog would like 74

93. su_dhillon says:

Mact on Stauffers show throws bouquets at the feet of Nurse and Klef, talked about how much he loved Klef the first time he saw him and expects them to be the pillars of Oilers D in future. On Marincin…crickets.

94. "Frank The Dog" says:

LoDog:
    Line combos today, klef / schultz a lot better than Hunt there.

Hall-RNH-Eberle
    Pouliot-Arcobello-Purcell
    Perron-Draisaitl-Yakupov
    Hendricks-Gordon-Joensuu
    Acton & Gazdic

Defensive combinations:

Ference-Petry
    Nikitin-Fayne
    Klefbom-Schultz
    Nurse-Hunt

Can anyone send me a link to that blog?

I know this looks like a much more robust opening lineup, I was just wanting to make the comparison.

95. admiralmark says:

Hunter… I’ll go with 88 Pts. 10th in the West. This is my most optimistic prediction.

96. 106 and 106 says:

Hey Hunter – put me down for 85 points!

97. Yeti says:

vangolf: No need to be polite…ha. Regardless of easy zone starts, those 2 kids are going to make a lot of mistakes and I think Pouliot offers better coverage than Perron. Also, to my mind there is some redundancy in having Yak and Perron on same line (ie., both one shot scorers) and turns us in to 2.5 scoring lines rather than 3.

You’re probably correct, but if the idea is to give P-D-Y masses of offensive zone starts and easy comp, perhaps Perron provides it with another scoring edge? P-A-P can then provide a secondary toughs line alongside J-G-H.

Of course, it will probably take about 5 mins for the lines to get shaken up regardless 🙂

98. Магия 10 says:

Pouzar:
    Drai goes with #29 afterall

n0 m0r3 55 j0k35

99. LoDog says:

ChiliChunk: Different than reported here:

Well Mr Wescott needs to make up his mind then. I now see the tweet you are referring to but I got the one I posted from the Oilers site on a blog post by,,,,, Wescott. 🙂

100. A'bunadh says:

Stauffer just said Scrivens starts, Nurse and Klefbom in the pressbox for tomorrows game.

101. leadfarmer says:

I was wondering if anyone can weigh in. Which one would you recommend? NHL Center ICE or Gamecenter. I’ve only had experience with NHL center ice.

102. Profit says:

Edmonton Oilers @EdmontonOilers
    On defence, Klefbom and Nurse expected to watch from above tomorrow night vs. CGY while Nikitin (ankle) has been cleared to play.

103. vinotintazo says:

I dont understand why hunt, starts above Nurse/Klefbom

104. LoDog says:

“Frank The Dog”: I thought I remembered LT publishing the 2013 startng lineup recently. Can’t find it and cant remember if that was published here or on ON.
    Can anyone send me a link to that blog?

You got me wondering so I went to G1 thread from last season.

Projected lineup from that thread.

L1: Hall-Smyth-Hemsky (maligned line has stood the test of pre-season)
    L2: Arcobello-Perron-Eberle (Arcobello is a better bet than Colborne, but there’s a risk)
    L3: Gordon-Joensuu-Yakupov (any offense from this line at evens is golden)
    L4: Acton-Eager-Brown (if you boo Acton there’s no hope for you. Ever)
    D1: Smid-Petry (A bounceback year is likely)
    D2: Ference-J Schultz (greatness awaits)
    D3: N Schultz-Belov (he comes from the land of the ice and snow)
    G1: Dubnyk (based on pre-season rip jobs, I expect him to skate out with a blindfold)

105. spoiler says:

vinotintazo:
    I dont understand why hunt, starts above Nurse/Klefbom

Age before beauty. Lots of pressure on opening night.

106. justDOit says:

leadfarmer:
    I was wondering if anyone can weigh in.Which one would you recommend?NHL Center ICE or Gamecenter.I’ve only had experience with NHL center ice.

I had gamecenter during the shortened season, and switched to hockeystreams last year. I was much happier with hockeystreams, but your mileage may vary. HS is also in a grey-area legally, and you might not want to support that.

107. justDOit says:

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie 6m6 minutes ago
    And a job in @NHLPlayerSafety would potentially give Pronger input into suspensions/fines/discipline involving all 30 NHL teams.

Pronger in a player safety role with the NHL? That would be off the Orwellian scale!

Nikitin-Fayne
    Ference-Schultz
    Hunt-Petry

is my guess.

109. G Money says:

I was thinking of 74 points, but noticed that B00kie’s dog and Marcus’s co-worker have already taken that. Don’t want to be the third one to take that number, so I guess I’ll have to think of something else.

110. G Money says:

justDOit:
    Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie6m6 minutes ago

Somebody at the league office has been watching too much Dexter. Perhaps they could give Pronger the title “Teeth Spatter Analyst”.

111. Pouzar says:

Lowetide: Nikitin-FayneFerence-SchultzHunt-Petryis my guess.

Just wow.

112. leadfarmer says:

Profit,

If your not playing Nurse send him down. I dont see the purpose in keeping him up. Hopefully this is just one game to give him a little more practice time to learn systems and then they start the 9 game clock. If he spends the season in the pressbox that would be very poor player development.

113. su_dhillon says:

Nikitin-Fayne
    Ference-Schultz
    Hunt-Petry

is my guess.

Poor Petry.
    Ferrence-Julz the Corgis will be running wild.

114. G Money says:

su_dhillon,

Ference was Jultz’s most common partner last year, most typically backing the Hall line.

The Corgi’s were loud.

Let’s hope that Ference’s torn pec was a key factor in that (according to ricki, pre-injury Ference-Jultz Corgi’s were not nearly as barky as post-injury).

115. justDOit says:

leadfarmer,

Actually, there’s a lot that Nurse can learn being with the team, and watching from the pressbox. It’s only one game, so back away from the ledge. If he sits the first 3 games, then you’ve got a valid point. I don’t think he will though. As many others have stated, he’ll get his 9 for sure, but they won’t necessarily be continuous.

116. VanOil says:

Nikitin-Fayne
    Ference-Schultz
    Hunt-Petry

is my guess.

117. VanOil says:

So MacT/Eakins have Hunt>Klefbom>Nurse>Marincin and some LSD/concussion issues in there past apparently.

118. OilClog says:

Seriously.. We got our forwards bigger so our D could be smaller! Woooooo. Brad Hunt!

Why is Nurse and Klef sitting… Hey! Atleast Marincin isn’t on his hands.

I’m going to call Brad Hunt the Magic man from now on. I seriously have no idea how he’s pulled this off. It’s either magic, or incriminating photos.

119. wheatnoil says:

VanOil: I question MacT/Eakins defensive evaluation metrics. Eye glow, side burns and a decent flow seem to be way to heavily weighted.

How do we know that it’s Eakins or MacT that has Klefbom and Nurse in the pressbox? Ramsay runs the D, how do we know that this isn’t based on his suggestions?

120. LoDog says:

leadfarmer:
    Profit,

If your not playing Nurse send him down.I dont see the purpose in keeping him up.Hopefully this is just one game to give him a little more practice time to learn systems and then they start the 9 game clock.If he spends the season in the pressbox that would be very poor player development.

Just taking opening night pressure off the kid. He will see a game soon.

121. Truth says:

If you’re giving Nurse a 9 game look at least play him for 9 straight. Then if he’s good enough to play keep him for the other 73. If not, send him down to play Junior for 70.

Klefbom in the press box is baffling. Marincin is better than both Klef and Hunt, put him in the lineup and make Hunt sit in the press box. I think a monkey could figure this out better than Eakins.

122. PaperDesigner says:

justDOit:
    Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie6m6 minutes ago

123. speeds says:

I would have guessed EDM would think tomorrow night’s game would be a pretty good opportunity for Nurse’s 1st game.

VS. CAL, at home, their 2nd of back to back games.

124. Bag of Pucks says:

Is is coincidental that Gretzky drops the ‘I was sold’ line a few days in advance of Pocklington appearing at this event?

I suspect not.

Pocklington made a decision that was 100% business dictated (depreciating asset comment as proof) and 0% hockey or fan related. With clear foresight, he auctioned off the cornerstone of a team that had the potential to be the greatest dynasty of all time, so he could reline his pockets from his failed PC leadership bid and protracted Gainers’ strike. He then proceeded to hold the fans of this team hostage over his arena terms for a solid decade or more.

We remember.

For that reason alone, Pocklington will always have the ire of this fanbase, and deservedly so. It’s a mistake to invite him to this ‘celebration’ imo.

Pariah.

Nikitin-Fayne
    Ference-Schultz
    Hunt-Petry

is my guess.

Shultz practiced with Hunt for two days straight (not including today

Ference – Petry practiced together 3 days straight including today.

I think it will be:

Nikitin-Fanye
    Ference-Petry
    Hunt-Jultz

Tyler is whispering in the coaches ear after all.

126. wuthering says:

regwald: Reggie @regwald·54m 54 minutes ago

Let’s all hope that you are a picture of health so that the streak continues (unfortunately you cheer for the same team that causes a number of us to resort to the healthy habit of heavy drinking while experiencing wild emotional swings in short periods of time).

127. Numenius says:

vinotintazo: I dont understand why hunt, starts above Nurse/Klefbom

If I were playing Hunt in one game and Nikitin was healthy, I’d choose the easiest game, which would be Calgary.

128. wuthering says:

Hunter: 91 pts.

129. RMGS says:

Woodguy: I think to go along with the extreme zone starts of Gordon, we’ll see the flip side with a Hunt-Shultz type pairing and see them get something like 60%OZS.

130. denny33 says:

leadfarmer,

*************************************************************************
    Great question -thinking of switching to game centre as well….

131. su_dhillon says:

Woodguy: Shultz practiced with Hunt for two days straight (not including today

Ference – Petry practiced together 3 days straight including today.

I think it will be:

Nikitin-Fanye
    Ference-Petry
    Hunt-Jultz

Tyler is whispering in the coaches ear after all.

Poor Petry.

BTW If the plan is to trade Petry at the deadline (or gasp sooner) saddling him with Hunt or even Ference is not going to make him look good. Reason 31 I don’t get the Marincin demotion.

132. Zangetsu says:

hunter1909,

I wanted to say 79, but I don’t want to agree with DSF. I’ll take 81.

133. anonymous says:

I’ll go with 87 points.

134. su_dhillon says:

denny33:
    leadfarmer,

*************************************************************************
    Great question -thinking of switching to game centre as well….

If you guys have Rogers cable or phone, you can try out GCL for free until the end of December, I also have shaw cable and know they are offering 1 month free trial of Center Ice so you can check for yourself if in same situation.

I have had Gamecenter the last 2 years, I use it mostly through my Xbox360 and haven’t had any issues, the flexibility of using it on multiple devices is really nice and I also like the shortcut versions of games.

I know they blackout local games but I live in Vancouver and only care are about Oiler games so it doesn’t impact me but something to think about.

135. RexLibris says:

Woodguy,

Sounds like the Dennis Wideman treatment: this guy is dynamite with the puck but unfortunately the fuse goes off too often close to our net.

Wideman had a 62.2 OZ% last season. Only Chad Billins and Ben Hanowski had easier zone starts last season.

Hartley knows where he wants him and it is as far away from his own net as he can manage.

136. AZOIL says:

hunter1909,

Hunter I am going with 88 points.

137. Bag of Pucks says:

justDOit:
    Truth,

Btw, this is so typically ‘LaForge’

“Hey folks, we’re celebrating the 84 Cup Team. Buy the tickets and come join the party?”

Event’s sold out now?

“Oh btw, Pocklington’s going to be a part of it.”

138. denny33 says:

su_dhillon,

****************************************************************************
    Excellent – thanks.

Just do it – Have not tried Hockeystreams yet…will check it out. I love grey areas….

139. HiddenDarts says:

Yeah, if you live in Edmonton, there’s really no sense in getting anything but extensive cable packages to cover all of the games. The NHL products are both horrible. Outside of Edmonton, I still say that Hockeystreams is the best. I’m in San Diego, and Gamecenter blacks out all LA games. And, when the Oil come to town (AKA the times I can stomach watching a Ducks game), Anaheim games are also blacked out.

The streams is, er, greyhat, as noted, but when it’s good, it’s great. Plus, they’re still small enough that they react when people bitch about a bad stream.

140. denny33 says:

From Edmonton Journal – Mr. Staples.

Ray Ferarro:

If Oilers are ever going to get off to a decent start, this is the year, Ferraro says. It has to be.

This just in from hockey’s best and most outspoken analyst, Ray Ferraro of TSN, speaking on the Leafs Lunch 1050 radio about the Oilers’ eight years of losing and lack of improvement: “I don’t care anymore what the Oilers management says, what they think, or what they project. It’s time for some result. No more about, ‘Oh, we’ve got these good young players.’ I don’t care anymore. It’s been too long, it’s been too dysfunctional, it’s been too bad. It’s now time for some results.”

Ferraro was asked about the Oilers trades and signings of Nikita Nikitin and Mark Fayne.

“They spent a lot of money. I don’t know if they spent it on the right guys or not, but you brought up Nikitin and Fayne. They signed (Benoit) Pouliot to a five year deal. They bring in Teddy Purcell. So they brought some older people in. They never addressed the middle of the ice, so you got a 21-year-old and an 18-year-old as your top two centre men. I mean, no more about promising the future and blah, blah, blah. It’s now. Now it has to get better. And if it doesn’t, I don’t know where they turn because it’s pretty clear that they can’t break the mould from the management group that has been there for 100 years.”

141. VanOil says:

denny33:
    From Edmonton Journal – Mr. Staples.

Ray Ferarro:

This just in from hockey’s best and most outspoken analyst, Ray Ferraro of TSN, speaking on the Leafs Lunch 1050 radio about the Oilers’ eight years of losing and lack of improvement: “I don’t care anymore what the Oilers management says, what they think, or what they project. It’s time for some result. No more about, ‘Oh, we’ve got these good young players.’ I don’t care anymore.It’s been too long, it’s been too dysfunctional, it’s been too bad.It’s now time for some results.”

“They spent a lot of money. I don’t know if they spent it on the right guys or not, but you brought up Nikitin and Fayne. They signed (Benoit) Pouliot to a five year deal. They bring in Teddy Purcell. So they brought some older people in. They never addressed the middle of the ice, so you got a 21-year-old and an 18-year-oldas your top two centre men. I mean, no more about promising the future and blah, blah, blah. It’s now. Now it has to get better. And if it doesn’t, I don’t know where they turn because it’s pretty clear that they can’t break the mould from the management group that has been there for 100 years.”

So what I am hearing is there is moldy management on Kingsway

142. bendelson says:

PaperDesigner: Wow. I really am completely invisible on this blog.

PaperDesigner: I hope that’s visible.

Speaking from experience, do be careful what you wish for around here my friend.
    Personally speaking, the days (years) of being completely ignored on this blog are a but a blissful memory.

143. LMHF#1 says:

Bag of Pucks:

You have to make good business decisions. Pocklington made about the stupidest business and hockey decision he could have at the time. The good business decision would have been to keep Gretzky, keep winning, and get rid of everything else (other businesses, eventually supplementary players if it came to that) first. The hockey team was making money and moreover becoming a brand outside of Edmonton, which is the real key to a big-time franchise in the mold of (though not scale of) the Yankees, Red Sox, Lakers, etc.

144. justDOit says:

bendelson: are a but a

Hi Bendelson!

145. Scotty LaDouche says:

Hunter I am going with 83 points.

146. Bag of Pucks says:

LMHF#1: You have to make good business decisions. Pocklington made about the stupidest business and hockey decision he could have at the time. The good business decision would have been to keep Gretzky, keep winning, and get rid of everything else (other businesses, eventually supplementary players if it came to that) first.The hockey team was making money and moreover becoming a brand outside of Edmonton, which is the real key to a big-time franchise in the mold of (though not scale of) the Yankees, Red Sox, Lakers, etc.

I think you could argue the business decision either way. As a franchise, is a Oilers Team that wins 7 Cups worth substantially more one that’s won 4 Cups? At the very least, does keeping the team together net him more in the longterm than what he sold Gretzky for?

I’m not sure.

For me, the business validity of his decision is kind of immaterial. A sports team is more than an ATM for the silver spoonfed, it’s a trust. The owner trusts that we’ll support the team through thick and thin (which this City always has), and the fans trust that ownership will do the right things to maintain the integrity and quality of the product/brand.

What galls about this is we’re presumably supposed to celebrate Pocklington as one of the ‘builders’ of the dynasty, while also conveniently overlooking for his sake, that he was also the greatest architect of its demise.

Pocklington broke trust with this City long ago. He doesn’t deserve a chair at this table imo. And it’s certainly not helped by the fact that he’s never once shown an ounce of remorse or contrition for his actions. Based on that clip, he seems as arrogant and dismissive of the fans (i.e. the great unwashed) that paid for his empire as ever.

147. "Frank The Dog" says:

Katz is showing Polk a few tricks on how to make money with other people’s money.

148. "Frank The Dog" says:

PaperDesigner: He could head the disciplinary committee. “Stick infraction” could take on a whole new meaning.

Don’t worry about being invisible. Lots of people read everything that is written but only a small portion respond.

149. Bar_Qu says:

PaperDesigner,

bendelson,

Invisibility is the third worst super power

150. Freëəəəəədom 95 says:

I see four guys who don’t qualify right now as viable shelter for a rookie partner (Petry has yet to play) and two guys who have yet to fly their first official sortie in titanium eggshell (our new official team colours).

Maybe Eakins learned something last season about engaging afterburner 5 on the chaos carburettor without first releasing the nose wheel parking brake.

151. haters says:

92 points – Raventalon40
    94 points – Hunter1909; Suntory Hanzo; Marc
    95 points – JP; Henry; Bookje
    96 points – Magisterrex; Ashley
    99 points – Gordies Elbow
    100 points – Dessert111

I also called that they would be just outside the playoffs 😛

153. borisnikov says:

Freëəəəəədom 95: titanium eggshell (our new official team colours).

That is legitimately funny. I lol’d.

154. justDOit says:

Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger 19m19 minutes ago
    Red Wings still searching for a quality, right shot D. May have to wait awhile for right player to become available.

Please don’t do it, MacT!

155. till_horcoff_is_coach says:

87 points.

There is a massive corsi black hole to climb out as the team still struggles to learn systems, but a much improved roster will help. I think a lot of bubble teams will waiver in whether to buy or sell with edm will be clear buyers it will be an advantage. So the team finishes strong and ends just missing the playoffs.

156. Oilers30 says:

Pocklington was a rank amateur at gobbling up other people’s money compared to Katz, King of the Carpet-Baggers.
    But in Peter Puck’s favor, his skill at backgammon (or was it poker?) brought 99 here in the first place.
    So let’s not piss our pants about Wayne getting “sold” to L.A.
    He was a piece of meat when he got here. And he was a piece of meat when he left.

157. VanOil says:

It is interesting that across the MSM season previews in general the Oilers gaping hole in Center depth and experience distracts them from spectacular chasm of experience or skill a Left defense. Or do they just believe in Nitikin an Ference a lot more than I do?

158. Numenius says:

RMGS: Makes sense given Eakins’ comment that Hunt will be deployed with the Draisaitl line.

I’m pretty sure he meant Hunt will be deployed with Draisaitl’s PP unit, not his line.

159. "Frank The Dog" says:

justDOit:
    Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger19m19 minutes ago

Please don’t do it, MacT!

FrankDog@FrankDog1m1 minutes ago
    Oilers still searching for a quality, veteran 2C.May have to see how rookie plays before trading quality right shot D. 🙂

160. justDOit says:

"Frank The Dog",

Hmmmm.

Edit: What would Pope Darryl say about forgoing blue to build the middle?

161. Bag of Pucks says:

Oilers30:
    So let’s not piss our pants about Wayne getting “sold” to L.A.

To be fair, the ‘Piece of Meat’ did accomplish a fair amount between the time he arrived and the time he left.

Seems more ‘full meal deal’ than single patty to me.

162. vinotintazo says:

"Frank The Dog",

except Nurse/Kflef and Marincin are not playing… lol

163. RISTOOOOO SILTANEN!!!! says:

91 points for me please

I anticipate missing the net on this one. So as the user name goes.

I’ll probably be drinking a lot too.

164. RexLibris says:

justDOit: Pronger

Bettman: Hey, Snider. How’s things? Listen, I hear you’re right against the cap and we’d like to help you out for being such a good soldier at those last CBA negotiations.

Snider: Yeah, Gary, how’s that?

Bettman: Well, I’ve got Shanny’s old spot open, do you think Chris would be interested?

Snider: In what? Head disciplinarian? F*&k if I know, but I’m pretty sure he’s been to the office enough times to find it without a GPS. Soooo, about that cap hit, then…

Bettman: Fuggetaboutit.

🙂

165. Hot Eire says:

Hunter

Put me down for 80 points.

…and a lottery win

166. Rube Foster says:

I remember what a great day it was when the Baseball Weekly Preseason edition with all of the player stats would go on sale at the old Hub Cigar shop, it meant the Rotisserie Auction was only weeks away!
    Put me down for a Gagner – 89 points.