REUNITED (AND IT FEELS SO GOOD)

It looks like the Edmonton Oilers extended preseason (five games of NHL play) has ended and the club has decided on their group for 2014-15. The team boasts an 0-4-1 record and are solidly behind the 8-ball, but the lineup itself makes sense finally after the Leduc sessions today:

THE FORWARDS

• Hall—Nuge—Eberle
  • Pouliot—Arcobello—Yakupov
  • Purcell—Draisaitl—Perron
  • Hendricks—Gordon—Joensuu

There’s a lot of talent here, led by the top line that should top 80 goals this season (currently has three, all from Hall). WG’s point about offensive zone starts is well taken, we should look for an increase in the Tampa Bay and Washington games next week. The second line gives Yakupov some size and two-way ability in Pouliot and a solid center in Arcobello who can play a complementary role offensively and offer cover the other way.

The Draisaitl line is the perfect spot for the German, I think we’re at a point now where we can make the call on him for this year but the Oilers don’t have a lot of options outside Leon at this point. If he plays his 9 games and they aren’t convinced, look for Yakimov to get the call. Four line is in fact the 2line, they’re dreamy.

THE DEFENSE

• Ference-Petry
  • Marincin-Schultz
  • Nikitin-Fayne

Several have mentioned Ference as having a strong game last night and he does seem to be better outside the Schultz triangle. Speaking of which, I like the practice pairings in Leduc today that have Marincin with Schultz. That duo played well in OKC (cover photo by Rob Ferguson, all rights reserved) and if they can find the magic a major major hurdle will have been overcome.

Nikita Nikitin has been poor poorer poorest, Fayne is improving with each game. I think the ankle has hurt Nikitin, but at this point I wouldn’t be surprised to see Brad Hunt draw back in if the struggles continue.

ONE MORE TO GO

I think it’s time we began the discussion about Leon Draisaitl as an NHL player this season. No disrespect to his considerable talent, and maybe not even (this year) completely for the player, but I don’t think he’ll stay. The Oilers need an actual NHL player in the middle, and failing that there is zero reason to flush an entire season of the entry level deal for this level of play. The club could recall Bogdan Yakimov or even Anton Lander in the interim and perhaps grab someone off waivers or make a smaller deal as the season wears on.

One final item: I think we saw this fall a little bit of Craig MacTavish falling in love with his players. Draft picks Darnell Nurse, Leon Draisaitl and Bogdan Yakimov have already played this season in the NHL, and Brad Hunt was kept over the far more capable Martin Marincin.

The story on Marincin was maybe there was a lesson to be learned by heading to Oklahoma City. Perhaps the GM can learn a lesson too, in that these kids are good/great but they need to develop in lesser leagues and that takes time. I don’t know what went on in training camp this fall, but the inertia in decision making may have contributed to this very slow start.

A little wordy, but it gets the point across.

155 Responses to "REUNITED (AND IT FEELS SO GOOD)"

Lowetide retweeted
    Dave Stubbs @Dave_Stubbs · 25m 25 minutes ago

Teams scouting #Habs #Avs tonight: Penguins, Hurricanes, Islanders, Flames, Stars, Red Wings, Oilers #HabsIO

Aaron Riley ‏@Whovianhockey 9m9 minutes ago

Scouts in OKC tonight from Montreal and Columbus. #OKCBarons #Oilers

2. gogliano says:

Klefbom and a second for Subban.

Edmonton might have interest in Eller, Montreal might like Klefbom? I don’t know.

4. fifthcartel says:

That’d be my guess as well. I remember there was that comment from Matheson in one of his articles about Eller too. Although, he mentioned Perron who seems like the far better player.

“A report out of Montreal says the Canadiens might be willing to listen to trade talk for third-line centre Lars Eller, 25, who just signed a four-year deal ($3.5 million cap hit) because they’d still have Nail Yakupov’s junior buddy Alex Galchenyuk, Tomas Plekanec and David Desharnais in the middle. The Habs are painfully shy of scoring on the wing outside of Max Pacioretty and predictably French-Canadian David Perron’s name has come up. The Oilers forward makes $3.8 million this year and next. …”

5. stevezie says:

I would be interested in any deal that sees Klefbom moving for a comparable center. Between Schultz, Klefbom, Nurse and Marincin we can spare a young defenceman.

Is Eller a comparable player? I don’t think so, especially when Brodziak is probably there for free. Maybe they’re scouting Musil or Simpson? (Before anyone says they would never trade a legacy prospect, consider the fate of Robert Nilson.)

6. gogliano says:

Unless it is a big deal with multiple moving parts it sure looks like Eller is the target. Not much on the Montreal roster makes much sense.

It also fits with two Oiler fetishes: size and first round pick.

7. LostBoy says:

I’d take Eller in a heartbeat, depending on the ask.

All else aside, he broke through to over 53% as one of Montreal’s main faceoff guys last year (he’s over 58% on a small sample size so far this year). He’d provide a strong L draw to complement Gordon in defensive zone starts. With Arco pulling his weight, there’s a good chance we’d turn into a plus faceoff team just like that.

I wouldn’t trade Perron for him. I’d trade Klefbom for him.

8. Rondo says:

Do you think Lars Eller would play for a Junior team?

9. []JUST[]KEEP[]CALM[]AND[]CORSI[]ON[] says:

LostBoy: I wouldn’t trade Perron for him. I’d trade Klefbom for him.

10. Numenius says:

I’ll be impressed if McT can bring himself to trade Klefbom.

It’s hard to trade a player who scratches your itch.

11. rich says:

Would hate to see Klefbom go, but would hate it more if it was Perron going the other way.

Eller playing 3C is way better than having Dry Saddle learn this year in the pro’s.

Barons lines tonight
    (LW-C-RW):
    Pakarinen-Williams-Pitlick
    Moroz-Lander-Miller
    C. Hamilton-Yakimov-Pinizzotto
    Kessy-Ewanyk-Ford.

Simpson-Oesterle
    Klefbom-Gernat
    Aulie-Musil

Brossoit in net.

13. VanOil says:

Eller seems to be an upgrade on the coaching staff. Can we have him a player/coach?

What should happen is we trade a LHD other than Marincin (our best right now) or Nurse (our best in the future) for a C

What will happen is Perron will win a Cup in Montreal and Yak will sell me season tickets when Florida relocates to Seattle.

14. VOR says:

I swear I will get back to what should happen with Draisaitl but I want to weave my answer together with my response to last nights game day thread where once again posters were saying the Oilers are “wasting” Hall’s “best years”. The idea seems to be that he will be past his prime by the time the Oilers are any good based on how bad the Oilers are again this year and the fact players “seem” to peak in terms of scoring in terms of points per game at around 24-25.

So start with this thought experiment:

Imagine you are the following player.

For four years you are the franchise but your team is the worst in the league, and it isn’t close. Then in your fifth season the team stages the biggest turnaround in NHL history and then trade away the guys who led that charge. Your sixth year is an uphill slog for you and the team as you try to avoid finishing last again. At that point you have played exactly 6 playoff games. Do you cut and run?After all your team has managed just 370 points over those 6 years out of 984 possible. That is epically bad, Oilers bad.

The year you are 25, the 7th year of your career something strange happens. A kid shows up at training camp who is better than you are. You are no longer the franchise and clearly your best years are behind you. You are minus -97 for your career and have one playoff series to show for all your work, all the years of being the face of the franchise. Do you cut and run?

That by the way is the bio of one of the all time greats, Joe Sakic. He stayed and he and the kid who was better, Peter Forsberg, would become over the next decade the best 1-2 act in hockey. At 26 Sakic would have his best NHL season points wise and then tear the playoffs apart as he led the Colorado Avalanche to the Stanley Cup. Forsberg would peak at 29 and also take his team to the Stanley Cup.

Joe Sakic the kid who had six games and six points in the playoffs after six regular seasons in the NHL would play another 166 playoff games, win two Stanley Cups, score another 81 playoff goals and add another 101 playoff assists. Maybe Hall is just a gun for hire. But on the other hand maybe he is like Joe Sakic and had gone all in. And because 24-25 or 25-26 is just an average for peak scoring years maybe he is right now 7 years away from that peak and will it hit at 29 like Foppa.

By the way Sakic was taken 15th overall and at 19 thrown into the deep end playing 2C in the NHL he had 62 points and was -36 on a team that had a winning percentage of .381. It didn’t do him any harm and I doubt it will Draisaital. Just as I doubt very much Hall will jump ship just because we have been epically bad his entire career.

15. sliderule says:

Perron is Habs target.

I have zero idea if Eller is worth him.

The oilers probably don’t know either.

16. Yeti says:

“at this point I wouldn’t be surprised to see Brad Hunt draw back in if the struggles continue.”
    Yes, but it will probably be Petry sat again.

17. stevezie says:

[]JUST[]KEEP[]CALM[]AND[]CORSI[]ON[]: The value for a center is too damn high right now! Don’t you think it might honestly take both players to land a younger, established center?

No. No I don’t. Eller has a career high of 28 points. In the lockout season he was on pace for 53, but only 14 goals. 53 points does not appear to be the real Eller.

I like him, but if Montreal asked for Klefbom and Perron not only would I hang up, I would stop talking to them.

Last year was a good year for him and he hit 26 points. Klefbom has much less proven but also appears to have a higher ceiling.

That’s far too steep for Eller.

He doesn’t bring much offence.

They better NOT trade Klef or Marincin for a middling C like Eller.

Not with Ference on the roster as they both better than him.

EDIT: Missed the NOT – kinda changes the meaning.

Lordy.

19. []JUST[]KEEP[]CALM[]AND[]CORSI[]ON[] says:

VOR: By the way Sakic was taken 15th overall and at 19 thrown into the deep end playing 2C

And according to his wiki page, he actually asked to stay in junior after his draft year. Because Nordiques!

20. "Frank The Dog" says:

Hey LT,
    I would have thought that Klefbom was a better NHL D player than Hunt, by a large margin, and playing Hunt in the NHL at all was one of the team’s larger gaffes this year – along with sending down Marincin, and Klefbom, and scratching Petry.

Can you explain to this old dog why on Gord’s green earth, Hunt would get called up over Marincin, and in the process perhaps why Klefbom is only playing 2D in OKC and Hunt not at all?

Thanks!

21. stevezie says:

sliderule,

I don’t get the love for Eller. I like Eller, don’t get me wrong, but Eller has only once had a season over 0.5 ppg (not a full season either), and Person has never failed to hit this mark. Yes, Perron is a winger, but by all available evidence he is a much, much better hockey player.

Eller is 25- still youngish, but I don’t think it’s fair to suggest he is deep with untapped potential.

I’ll gladly take Eller, but not for Perron. I’m not even sure he’s enough for Klefbom, but I am willing to be convinced I am incredibly wrong there.

Pinizzotto (Yakimov, Oesterle) 1-0 OKC, Yakimov’s first AHL point.

23. Ryan says:

VOR,

Two words for you. Salary cap.

24. striker says:

Lowetide: Barons lines tonight
    (LW-C-RW):
    Pakarinen-Williams-Pitlick
    Moroz-Lander-Miller
    C. Hamilton-Yakimov-Pinizzotto
    Kessy-Ewanyk-Ford.

Khaira?

“Frank The Dog”:
    Hey LT,

Thanks!

I think they were sending a message about conditioning to Marincin, want to bring in only one of the long rangers this season (Marincin, Klefbom, Nurse) and Hunt has a great point shot but is shy in all other areas.

26. Numenius says:

Perron for Eller isn’t worth it short term.

Could be worth it long term though. Perron likely won’t stay after his contract expires in 2 years, especially at the dollar amount he’ll require, so you would be trading his 2 years for a reasonable 4 year contract at a position you desperately need right now. And Eller can always play the wing if you have too many C’s later on.

Eller is also a European with a history of good chemistry with Eastern Slavs.

I think I’d do it.

27. flyfish1168 says:

JMHO. I would not trade a top AHL prospect or top defenseman for a call back for a 3rd line center. You invest this much time and see a high ceiling for Klefblom and you flush him for guy you can see where his ceiling is. To me that does not make sense. again JMHO

28. magisterrex says:

If it’s Perron, then it should be Eller plus something, not Perron plus something.

Crap. Now goal is Williams (Miller, Pitlick) which is incredible. I have no answer for you.

striker: Khaira?

Not tonight.

Woodguy: That’s far too steep for Eller.

He doesn’t bring much offence.

They better trade Klef or Marincin for a middling C like Eller.

Not with Ference on the roster as they both better than him.

I think the Oilers will overpay in this deal. I’m not saying Klefbom for Eller straight up, but they’re going to lose the deal if they make it.

32. Numenius says:

Woodguy: They better trade Klef or Marincin for a middling C like Eller.

Not with Ference on the roster as they both better than him.

“They better not trade…”

33. Dicky94 says:

magisterrex,

Moen and Eller for Perron.

Bohologo:
    LT, I have nothing but respect for you, and I salute your willingness to post positive messages in even the worst of all settings (as we find ourselves in today). The rest of us, less noble than you, are looking for faces we don’t like, or something equally ignoble.

However!When I read this: “So, we add to our mantra. Find good players, keep good players, decide on players earlier and play them all in the final pre-season game for crying out loud.”

I think to myself, LT is like the protagonist in a greek tragedy. His tragical flaw-all greek tragedies have them, otherwise they would be comedies and don’t get me wrong we’re almost into the tragi-comic-is that he is a reasonable man, applying reason in a context where reason apparently has no purchase.

The rest of us are the chorus, and the Oilers braintrust are the Olympus dwelling gods who like to, when it suits them, bugger us senseless or smite us with some kind of bolt from above.

Pass the ouzo.

LOVE ouzo. Makes me loopy. I swear drinking ouzo over the years does weird things to my brain. I once spent an entire evening thinking the ceiling was slowly lowering. Seriously. Ouzo. Wow.

35. Ben says:

Watching Galchenyuk rock the house…sort of makes you think about the way our 18 year old C is being brought along.

Galchenyuk has been playing almost exclusively wing until this season, giving him a fair chance to get up to speed, learn systems, gain confidence etc.

Ours is in the deep end, skating in wet sand.

Why? Because thanks to our oh-so-close off-season he’s the ‘best option’ for the team down the middle.

If you’re not sure of what to do, the least you can do is have a look and see what more successful people are doing. For a start.

36. Younger Oil says:

I just don’t see a fit with Montreal IMO. Eller has contract that isn’t great if he’s playing bottom 6 minutes (which he would be by the end of it), and there’s nothing we can really give up for him that won’t create another hole in the lineup.

For me at least, an ideal trade would be packaging a quality player like Perron with a boat anchor like Ference, throwing in a 2nd or 3rd round pick to further convince the other team to take Ference, and then getting back a #2-3C (Eller is a decent example, Anisimov as well), as well as a #3LW to fill the void left by Perron, then call up Klefbom to take Ference’s spot, and send Drai back to junior.

Problem is, can’t think of many teams who would be wanting to do that deal. Most likely scenario is Marincin/Klefbom and a pick for someone like Eller, which is not what the team needs. That would leave us with nobody decent to call up on D if there is an injury.

37. []JUST[]KEEP[]CALM[]AND[]CORSI[]ON[] says:

stevezie: No. No I don’t. Eller has a career high of 28 points.

Yes, from a rational standpoint it might not be worth it. But Eller is 6’2″, 215 lbs, a good faceoff center, and Edmonton will get bent over in this trade because of their desperation. Or at least, that’s how I see the tea leaves.

38. fifthcartel says:

Ben,

What awful luck for the Oilers too. Who knows who they pick if Galchenyuk is healthy.

39. VOR says:

Ryan, I am not sure how you think salary cap applies.

Making decisions on a player like Draisaital based on salary cap and contract issues is the sort of thinking that prevents proper player development. If you learn more playing and getting slaughtered in the NHL than you would starring in junior or tearing up a European league then you should be in the NHL. Each player has a different tolerance for self doubt and ability to handle complex situations. Some will thrive in the NHL at Draisaital’s age, others will flounder. For some of those who flounder it will hurt their careers, for most it will simply be part of their development. If the player, their representation, and the team all think they can handle the learning curve then they should be given the chance. Cap hit and future salary considerations should have nothing to do with it.

As for Hall, he will be 27 when his current contract ends and I am guessing if the Oilers are as good as the Avalanche were when Sakic was 27 both parties will want to continue the relationship. I can’t see why any GM or fan for that matter would be making decisions about Taylor Hall based on his effect on the salary cap since he is under contract through 2019-20.

Could you explain what you mean?

Lowetide: Not tonight.

They are rotating scratches.

Yesterday was Moroz.

Numenius: “They better not trade…”

Yup.

Edited the original post.

Kinda changes the meaning eh?

42. []JUST[]KEEP[]CALM[]AND[]CORSI[]ON[] says:
  43. Ben says:

MacT looking for a ‘McDonagh for Gomez’ type swap, I presume…

44. sliderule says:

If the oilers have any sense they will make no trades until near the end of home stand.

With their record they are at their weakest point right now.

A few wins would make them look stronger.

The trouble with doing that is that the oilers have to replay all these bad games and ignore the good to come.

I am not holding my breath .

45. stevezie says:

[]JUST[]KEEP[]CALM[]AND[]CORSI[]ON[],

The need for center is so strong it almost makes sense to lose a deal to get one. As Lou said, “You never lose a trade that gives you something you need.”

However, Brodziak is out there. He has to be pretty close to free.

I’d rather have Eller than Brodziak, but I’d rather have Brodziak and Klefbom than Eller. It isn’t really close.

Let’s hope we overpay for someone really good.

46. []JUST[]KEEP[]CALM[]AND[]CORSI[]ON[] says:

VOR: Sakic

So following the Nordique storyline, the Oilers have to draft McDavid this summer, and he holds out for a trade. The Oilers find a trade partner desperate enough to overspend to the tune that the Flyers did, and the rest will work itself out.

Edit: Make that two trading partners, to drive up the price.

47. Younger Oil says:

[]JUST[]KEEP[]CALM[]AND[]CORSI[]ON[]:
    PK Subban. Whew!

That defensive work was Oileresque!

48. LostBoy says:

Younger Oil:

Problem is, can’t think of many teams who would be wanting to do that deal.

Actually, a bigger problem is that Ference has a NMC.

49. []JUST[]KEEP[]CALM[]AND[]CORSI[]ON[] says:

Younger Oil,

Well, the Avs were on the powerplay, and it was subban who got out of the box. So they were probably tired and not really ready to defend.

Sheesh – now I’m making excuses for other teams too!

50. []JUST[]KEEP[]CALM[]AND[]CORSI[]ON[] says:

Oh knowledgeable Oiler historians – how long did they go without a minor league team?

51. LostBoy says:

[]JUST[]KEEP[]CALM[]AND[]CORSI[]ON[]:

Five years. 2005-2006 through 2009-2010.

52. Klima's_Bucket says:

Multiple Choice
    1. Play Leon Draisaitl all season where he sinks or swims.
    2. Overpay for Eller by parting with package consisting of Perron or Klefbom
    3. Pick up Brodziak for a pick / fringe prospect
    4. Convince Peter Mueller to come back to Europe and give up nothing but cash.

What’s the correct answer?

[]JUST[]KEEP[]CALM[]AND[]CORSI[]ON[]:

Of their own? They handed back the Roadrunners to the league in after the 2004-05 season, and then handed their players around until 2007-08 when they began sending their talent to the Springfield Falcons.

54. []JUST[]KEEP[]CALM[]AND[]CORSI[]ON[] says:

Lowetide: Of their own?

Yes, of their own – complete control, not just sending players to other team’s minor system.

55. sliderule says:

HNC just announced that Roy just fired Rick Pracey their head amateur scout.

Get on the phone Lowe /Mact as this guy has an outstanding draft record over the whole spectrum.

56. TeeVee says:

Klima’s_Bucket:
    Multiple Choice
    1. Play Leon Draisaitl all season where he sinks or swims.
    2. Overpay for Eller by parting with package consisting of Perron or Klefbom
    3. Pick up Brodziak for a pick / fringe prospect
    4. Convince Peter Mueller to come back to Europe and give up nothing but cash.

What’s the correct answer?

The answer is #2 (Perron) and #3

Move Arco to Perrons spot, send zee German down.

Williams (Lander, Miller) 2-0 OKC

sliderule:
    HNC just announced that Roy just fired Rick Pracey their head amateur scout.

Get on the phone Lowe /Mact as this guy has an outstandingdraft recordover the whole spectrum.

Dumb move. I know they were upset about Bleackley, but that’s a terrible decision.

59. LostBoy says:

[]JUST[]KEEP[]CALM[]AND[]CORSI[]ON[],

Springfield was an affiliation agreement, but the OIlers had control, unlike the agreements they’d struck with Dallas etc. after the lockout. They parked their Roadrunners franchise for five years, then reactivated it to become the Barons.

60. []JUST[]KEEP[]CALM[]AND[]CORSI[]ON[] says:

LostBoy: You can complain about so very many things that Tambellini did, but you can’t take away revivifying the AHL development.

Oh yeah, no argument on that!

Klefbom (Oesterle, Pinizzotto)

62. Dicky94 says:

Pinizzotto should be up with the big club. Send Acton down.

63. Klima's_Bucket says:

Are you watching this AHL action or listening in through static on the ol’ AM radio?

64. []JUST[]KEEP[]CALM[]AND[]CORSI[]ON[] says:

On one hand, I’m really looking forward to the ‘class of the east’ (Freidman) taking on the Nucks tonight. Hoping for a beat-down.

But when you realize they’re in Rexall on Monday…

65. DBO says:

How about Perron for Eller, then you sign Penner. He fits as a two way third liner, who can play with skill. No idea if MacT burned that bridge, but a vet decent winger with size would be a cheap option if it costs us a winger like Perron to upgrade our 2/3 C with a two way centre with decent size. Which we need to have a shot in our division.

66. VanOil says:

If Klefbom is trying to impress the scouts it sounds like he is doing it on the old radio feed.

67. striker says:

Woodguy: They are rotating scratches.

Yesterday was Moroz.

oh ok, gotcha

68. danieldelair says:

nice to see Legwand, who apparently wasn’t good enough for the Oil, on a point/game page right now. doyyyy

69. []JUST[]KEEP[]CALM[]AND[]CORSI[]ON[] says:

Rampage scored with 1 second left in the 2nd. 4-3 OKC.

70. []JUST[]KEEP[]CALM[]AND[]CORSI[]ON[] says:

danieldelair,

71. striker says:

[]JUST[]KEEP[]CALM[]AND[]CORSI[]ON[]: Legwand has been a member of Greenpeace for a long time, and refused to sign with a team associated in name to the tar sands.

Source?

Pakarinen (Klefbom) If they’re scouting Klefbom, he’s going to fetch a unicorn.

73. []JUST[]KEEP[]CALM[]AND[]CORSI[]ON[] says:

striker: Source?

Made it up.

74. Bos8 says:

And if you have Hockey Streams you could be watching the Barons right now.

75. Big Dan says:

I incited some rage from Pouzar in a prior thread, but I’d keep Perron over Eberle. Eberle will have a fine career full of 30-35 goals, 60-65 points (maybe even go all James Neal if paired with a talent like McDavid).

Perron is more of a 25 goal, 55 point guy. But he brings more to the table in terms of physicality and shift disturbing. In a playoff series, I’d rather have a competitor like Scrivens/Roloson in goal that Dubnyk/Salo – even if the numbers are similar. Eberle is streaky and creative but often goes silent in those games where the other team goes into shutdown mode IMHO.

So call me crazy, I’d rather sign Perron long term and keep him over Eberle. I am not advocating trading either one right now… but I think Eberle should demand a fine return and be the one to go when the cap crunch hits later on. He has plateau’ed a bit in Edmonton after all these years of losing (how can you not?) but is still a helluva player who is worth a lot.

A person is seriously underselling Perron if Eller is the return on the other side. In my opinion, MacT should ignore the reporters and focus his attention on seeing if Petry will sign in the $4.5M range and trading a package that includes Schultz for Larsson or Myers.

As long as Nuge, Arco, and Gordon are healthy… C is not a problem IMHO. Not great, I was hoping for Legwand, but adequate for now. I wouldn’t sacrifice Perron just to get Eller.

76. []JUST[]KEEP[]CALM[]AND[]CORSI[]ON[] says:

Pakarinen (Klefbom) If they’re scouting Klefbom, he’s going to fetch a unicorn.

My OKC stream must be quite a bit behind – they’re just coming out on the ice after the intermission.

77. bsmart says:

I would do that deal

78. []JUST[]KEEP[]CALM[]AND[]CORSI[]ON[] says:

Martindale scores for San Antonio to tie 4 – 4. It would seem that former Oiler prospects haunt the Barons too!

79. []JUST[]KEEP[]CALM[]AND[]CORSI[]ON[] says:

Gotta love the Wings using former Leaf stud-goalie Gustafson, to get the shutout to beat the Leaves!

80. Marcus Oilerius says:

In response to all the people trading Klefbom (facepalm), or Perron (facepalm + sigh) for Lars Eller (he of the $3.5m contract and centre slot that Montreal wants to clear), I’d like to point out that the Oilers traded their own Lars Eller 5 years ago, with a 6th round pick, for a 5th and a 4th. That was Kyle Brodziak.

Giving up Perron (a fantastic 2nd line winger, or a good 1st liner) or Klefbom (a potential #3/4, perhaps even #2) for a 3rd line centre is the kind of move that, a couple of years from now, will bite us in the ass in the way that trading Brodziak or Stoll did. When we gave up Stoll to get Visnovsky, we got a great big hole in our lineup that we haven’t filled since. When we gave up Brodziak for nothing, we got another hole in our lineup.

By trading Klefbom, we are potentially creating a hole in our defensive pairings. It may be the first pairing, it may be the second pairing, it may even be the third, but it will be a hole. Nurse *may* turn out to be a first pairing, left shooting defenceman. He *may* arrive next year, or the year after, or five years after he was drafted, or never. Klefbom is closer than Nurse, and he’s 3 seasons from his draft year and playing in the AHL. Marincin has (probably) arrived, but we’re not certain yet, and it took him 3.5 seasons post-draft.

By dealing Perron, we are creating a great, big, vast gaping hole on the left side, one that there isn’t a single prospect, free agent, or roster player capable of filling. Purcell can’t do it because he’s uncomfortable on the left side. Yakupov is uncomfortable on the left side.

We don’t need a long-term fix. Eller’s age advantage over Brodziak is irrelevant. We need a temporary fix, for one or two seasons, until we either sign a free agent or Draisaitl proves himself. Brodziak is the sensible answer. Eller may be better, and Eller will be around longer, but Eller vs Brodziak isn’t the difference between playoffs and McDavid, and if we need Eller 2 years from now, we can get him or someone else like him.

81. Klima's_Bucket says:

Marcus Oilerius,

Thanks for bringing some more common sense to this thread.

82. Genjutsu says:

Not sure why Montreal would be interested in a young D.

They have a very nice top 4 set for 2 years. And have two shape young D in Tinordi and Beaulieu.

Perron would represent a perfect fit for them but really any of the scoring wingers could find a spot and fill the scoring need they have.

Purcell?

83. Bos8 says:

Well, the Barons looked unimpressive at the very best. Gernat took a lazy holding penalty on a one on one for the winning PP goal. Klefbom looked the best of a bad lot. Barons led 3-0 at one time. Looked tired and discombobulated leading to sloppy play. Yakimov didn’t stand out at all. Pitlick made a nice move out of the corner to put himself clear in front of the net then got stripped of the puck while deciding what to do next. And so it went.

sliderule:
    HNC just announced that Roy just fired Rick Pracey their head amateur scout.

Patrick Roy’s ego is going to destroy that franchise.

His decisions this summer were putrid.

We worry about wasting Hall.

They are going to waste Mckinnon, Duchesne, Landeskog and ROR at this pace.

85. VOR says:

JustKeepCalmandCorsiOn,

My point earlier was just that it is not impossible to convince great players to stick it out with bad teams.

That it worked out spectacularly well for Joe Sakic was simply a way of making the point that sometimes sticking it out as Sakic did is a path to the promised land. Hall is not automatically going to leave because the Oilers suck.

Also, both Sakic and Forsberg were relatively late bloomers in terms of their most productive years. The average age for a player’s best season seems to come out at about 25 years old no matter how you do the sampling but Sakic and Forsberg were outliers. The problem is that people keep using the average age as an indicator of when a scorer has passed their best before date while forgetting that there are far more exceptions than examples of the age actually being 25.

You can take just about any group of 50 or more NHL players and prove this. I am going to use the top 60 scorers in NHL history. The average age of best season in terms of points among the top 60 scorers of all time is 25 years old as we would expect. The range however is from 21 to 40 years old. 31 of the top 60 scorers of all time had their best NHL season (points wise) at 26 or older.

3 did it at 21
    2 did it at 31
    1 did it at 32
    2 did it at 33
    2 did it at 35
    2 did it at 36
    1 did it at 40

So only 10% of the players in this sample of average age 25 actually had their best scoring year at 25 and less than half had it before they were 26. This dataset and pretty much any data set of NHL players best year of scoring has a long tail that takes in a lot of outliers.

danieldelair:

Oilers made a weak offer that he turned down.

They didn’t want to go 2 years.

87. McSorley33 says:

I like our forward group, I do.

Drinks red juice, but about the defence pairing above….

Andrew Ference on one pair.

Justin on another.

Niki Blue Jacket on the other.

Western Conference.

Oiler Balance….

Marcus Oilerius:
    In response to all the people trading Klefbom (facepalm), or Perron (facepalm + sigh) for Lars Eller (he of the $3.5m contract and centre slot that Montreal wants to clear), I’d like to point out that the Oilers traded their own Lars Eller 5 years ago, with a 6th round pick, for a 5th and a 4th.That was Kyle Brodziak.

Giving up Perron (a fantastic 2nd line winger, or a good 1st liner) or Klefbom (a potential #3/4, perhaps even #2) for a 3rd line centre is the kind of move that, a couple of years from now, will bite us in the ass in the way that trading Brodziak or Stoll did.When we gave up Stoll to get Visnovsky, we got a great big hole in our lineup that we haven’t filled since.When we gave up Brodziak for nothing, we got another hole in our lineup.

By trading Klefbom, we are potentially creating a hole in our defensive pairings.It may be the first pairing, it may be the second pairing, it may even be the third, but it will be a hole.Nurse *may* turn out to be a first pairing, left shooting defenceman.He *may* arrive next year, or the year after, or five years after he was drafted, or never.Klefbom is closer than Nurse, and he’s 3 seasons from his draft year and playing in the AHL. Marincin has (probably) arrived, but we’re not certain yet, and it took him 3.5 seasons post-draft.

By dealing Perron, we are creating a great, big, vast gaping hole on the left side, one that there isn’t a single prospect, free agent, or roster player capable of filling.Purcell can’t do it because he’s uncomfortable on the left side.Yakupov is uncomfortable on the left side.

We don’t need a long-term fix.Eller’s age advantage over Brodziak is irrelevant.We need a temporary fix, for one or two seasons, until we either sign a free agent or Draisaitl proves himself.Brodziak is the sensible answer.Eller may be better, and Eller will be around longer, but Eller vs Brodziak isn’t the difference between playoffs and McDavid, and if we need Eller 2 years from now, we can get him or someone else like him.

Nailed it.

Genjutsu,

Tinordi is no lock for a NHL career.

Beaulieu is the goods though.

90. admiralmark says:

Once again the D arrangement is out of whack.

Ference-Petry
    Marincin-Schultz
    Nikitin-Fayne

Should be:
    Marincin-Petry
    Nikitin-Fayne
    Ference-Schultz

Maybe they will get there after a few more losses?

91. []JUST[]KEEP[]CALM[]AND[]CORSI[]ON[] says:

VOR,

Thanks for all that work. I wasn’t being snarky with my comment – only making a reference to history repeating itself, and that the Oilers look to be in the McDavid/Eichel running.

And I don’t realistically see the Oilers filling the remaining roster holes without another lotto pick, unfortunately. Hope to be wrong…

92. "Frank The Dog" says:

admiralmark:
    Once again the D arrangement is out of whack.

Ference-Petry
    Marincin-Schultz
    Nikitin-Fayne

Should be:
    Marincin-Petry
    Nikitin-Fayne
    Ference-Schultz

Maybe they will get there after a few more losses?

Marincin has worked well with Schultz in the past as has Klefbom. Ference is least bad with Petry. He has not worked well with Schultz.

On what basis of fact do you propose your lineup?

93. Klima's_Bucket says:

What if the Oilers would have went all in to get Ekblad this past june?
    Then relied on a top 10 pick in a deep 2015 to find their Draisaitl?

Eller and Brodziak’s 5v5 pts/60

2008-2009 Season KYLEBRODZIAK -11.8
    2009-2010 Season KYLEBRODZIAK -6.1
    2010-2011 Season KYLEBRODZIAK 5.3
    2011-2012 Season KYLEBRODZIAK -1
    2012-2013 Season KYLEBRODZIAK -2.3
    2013-2014 Season KYLEBRODZIAK -12.9

There is basically no evidence that one is significantly better than the other.

Brodziak had a rough year last year, but MIN also got better (hence worse RelCor) and his OZS% was the toughest on the team. Eller has lived in the middle of MTL’s road in terms of zone starts.

Eller had one year of good scoring. His ONSH% was waaaaay above his career average and simply not sustainable.

MIN is having a tough time giving away Brodziak and MTL wants Perron for Eller?

I don’t see that at all.

Not even close.

Eller under contract at $3.5MM for 4 years is a bad thing, not a good thing.

That’s an anchor that Bergevin is trying to drop on someone.

I fear I’ve sent the thread on a tangent. I wasn’t suggesting a Klefbom for Eller deal, only that each team might be interested in said player. Hope there was no confusion.

96. TheOtherJohn says:

VOR:
    I swear I will get back to what should happen with Draisaitl but I want to weave my answer together with my response to last nights game day thread where once again posters were saying the Oilers are “wasting” Hall’s “best years”. The idea seems to be that he will be past his prime by the timethe Oilers are any good based on how bad the Oilers are again this year and the fact players “seem” to peak in terms of scoring in terms of points per game at around 24-25.

So start with this thought experiment:

Imagine you are the following player.

Yeah as I watched Draisatl I was thinking he reminds me of Forsberg. Moreover I think Draisatl is exceedingly likely to drive Hall to even greater heights.

I really wasn’t thinking that at all. What I was really thinking was Draisatl is 2 years away from being a good player. I was also thinking whoere is Pat Roy in this comparator. Adam Foote.?

I realize we’re just supposed to shut our eyes and “wish” but unless we have s dominant goalie, 2 dominant – 1C and an elite top paring defender I’m kinda thinking you’re like MacT with Chuck Norris…… Really wishing they were that good

97. Zangetsu says:

I find it a little ridiculous we have to add to find good players keep good players. Should be pretty obvious that don’t send good players to the farm, and don’t HS good players in favour of bad players. #Oilers

98. bendelson says:

Woodguy,

Thanks for that WG.

So Brodziak is the play…
    What do you pay?
    4th rd pick?
    Pitlick?

99. Dr. Taboggan says:

Hey LT,
    Read everyday, unfortunately (or maybe fortunately) this blog is the only thing that keeps me crawling back to the Oilers.
    This particular thread made me laugh. I know our faith in MacT has been shaken recently but there is no way he is trading Perron or Klef for Eller. MacT acquired Perron in his only big trade and has a love affair with Klef. There are plenty of other assets playing in OKC.

Also WG how do you know MTL is asking Perron for Eller? Did I miss something?

100. WeirsBeard says:

Woodguy: Patrick Roy’s ego is going to destroy that franchise.

His decisions this summer were putrid.

We worry about wasting Hall.

They are going to waste Mckinnon, Duchesne, Landeskog and ROR at this pace.

Can’t wait for that hot head to doom them. Maybe ROR can be a nice gift to the Oil?

101. WeirsBeard says:

I blame Smid.

bendelson:
    Woodguy,

Thanks for that WG.

So Brodziak is the play…
    What do you pay?
    4th rd pick?
    Pitlick?

A 5th round pick is about right.

They want him gone and he’s a FA forward who doesn’t score.

Maybe a 6th.

I’m not sure MacT hires him though.

Pretty sure he was the one that fired him (then Tambellini traded him) and there was also some hard feelings.

That was the year that Penner and Brodziak were’s MacT’s whipping boys who had to do extra work after practice.

Not sure why he has fallen out of favor in MIN.

Would probably be important to find out.

103. WeirsBeard says:

Woodguy posted this for me in the end of the last thread in reference to Jultz and Marty WOWY from last year in the show:

Good stuff. Thanks WG.

Dr. Taboggan:
    Hey LT,

Also WG how do you know MTL is asking Perron for Eller? Did I miss something?

Don’t know anything.

Its been the hubbub around here for a week since Eller’s name was put out there, but I doubt there’s any real smoke behind it.

WeirsBeard:

Good stuff. Thanks WG.

You’re welcome.

106. "Frank The Dog" says:

I know I’m probably all alone here but I’m really impressed with Drai’s passing and how he thinks the game. I think Drai is the only C on the team that has the ability to take Yak supernova. For that reason I don’t think we need a Brodziak, I think we need to play Drai on the soft minutes o zone line with Yak and Poo, and give Yak his extra minutes on the Arco line in place of Purcell, when Yak is streaking.

107. Numenius says:

Woodguy:
    Not even close.

Eller under contract at $3.5MM for 4 years is a bad thing, not a good thing.

That’s an anchor that Bergevin is trying to drop on someone.

Thanks for that. My bad.

108. Ryan says:

Woodguy: Nailed it.

Anyways, I deleted it before posting it.

On that note, will you buy me a beer when Perron is traded for picks at next year’s deadline or walks into free agency?

109. TheOtherJohn says:

The Oilers will pay a pretty price for Brodziak, who BTW detests the BOTB, if they get him. Go back and look at the ridiculous overpay on the Roleson deal. Not, in any way, that Brodziak is as good as Roli. Just that by really shitty roster management MacT is in the same desperate position as Lowe was.

Or did anyone really think an 18 year old 2C was gonna work?

Ryan: I wrote a long diatribe detailing why the Oilers should trade Perron now while he has maximum value rather than risking…

Anyways, I deleted it before posting it.

They really like him and I think they try hard to re-sign him.

111. LostBoy says:

I have no idea if the Oilers are pursuing Eller, but the idea that Brodziak in the here and now is just as good as Eller isn’t very strongly supported.

By the completion of his 24 year old season, Brodziak had put up decent seasons of 31 and 27 points with Edmonton.

By the completion of his 24 year old season (last season), Eller had put up full seasons of 17 (age 21) and 28 points, then what would have been 53 prorated over 82 games (age 23). He fell back to 26 last year, but put up 13 points in 17 playoff games.

Based on the comparison up to that point, if you let the tape run forward with a change in team, I don’t see how Eller suffers by comparison. He’s already had one regular season and one extended playoffs far in excess of anything Brodziak ever did.

And right now he’s five years younger. Eller >>>>> Brodziak.

[edit: and, um, I do realize he’ll always be five years younger…]

Like, if we could get Brodziak for not much, I’d be okay with that as the solution.

If we could get Eller for something that makes any kind of sense (it’s hard to see what that might be given Montreal’s needs, but there are presumably scouts in Montreal and Oklahoma for a reason), that would make me believe a little more that this season could work out long term.

We’re going to get hosed in just about any trade for a useful C.

It’s said we need a transitional C because Draisaitl is going to be ready to go in…in…. If he is, you know, I’m willing to face up to that problem when it arises.

I’m not real cool with watching this season follow all the others down the shitter. The 0-4-1 start is short term. But we need a capable C added to have any real hope. Nothing in the organization right here and now is sufficient to cover the bet. One semi-significant injury, and never mind covering the bet, it’s full-on disaster.

112. eidy says:

Jackson Houck with a nice night and start to the season.
    3 g 1 a tonight. 5g and 7a in 9 games

113. Klima's_Bucket says:

If the Oilers end up 5-4-1 after 10 does that mean they stick with the roster they have and the Center Depth problems all season?

Jackson Houck 3-2-5 tonight, up to 9GP, 5-8-13 now.

115. RexLibris says:

sliderule:HNC just announced that Roy just fired Rick Pracey their head amateur scout.

Grab that man and add him to the current group of bird dogs.

The Avs have an outstanding draft record and while it may hurt MacGregor’s feelings, bringing in Pracey to become the head Eastern scout or some such deal would be a very smart and aggressive move.

116. RexLibris says:

Woodguy: A 5th round pick is about right.

They want him gone and he’s a FA forward who doesn’t score.

Maybe a 6th.

I’m not sure MacT hires him though.

Not sure why he has fallen out of favor in MIN.

Would probably be important to find out.

When I suggested Lander for Brodziak this was deemed ridiculous, and yet Lander as a warm body would seem to represent greater value, so far as I can see, than a 5th or 6th round pick.

What am I missing?

Evan Campbell with two goals tonight, off to a nice start.

118. RexLibris says:

Jackson Houck 3-2-5 tonight, up to 9GP, 5-8-13 now.

Bah, lollygagger.

McDavid has 25 pts in 9 gp.

That is pretty impressive though. I’ll be interested to see if he can hover around the 1.0ppg pace this season.

119. TheOtherJohn says:

Yeah Oilers have always moved quickly with adding talented people from other organizations: last guy like that was…….. Crickets

Agree though great idea

Just unlikely to happen

Wings tonight 16 guys they drafted

120. Ryan says:

RexLibris: Okay, I looked at Brodziak’s numbers at BtN earlier today and, maybe I’m reading them wrong, but they didn’t look good. He was a neg CorsiRel, neg QualComp and sat 4th out of 4 in most of the categories, albeit behind players like Koivu and Granlund.

What am I missing?

I dunno. Maybe that Minnesota could have had Lander for free?

121. Pretendergast says:

So are we forgetting Columbus is there too? Anisimov anyone? I only say that because I would be ridiculed on this blog for bringing up a Johanson mega deal involving Klefbom, a first, and Linus Omark 🙂

122. flyfish1168 says:

Jon Cooper has done an excellent job with the Lightening

123. []JUST[]KEEP[]CALM[]AND[]CORSI[]ON[] says:

RexLibris,

John Scott is a hockey player in the NHL.

124. RexLibris says:

Ryan: I dunno.Maybe that Minnesota could have had Lander for free?

A lot of players go through the waiver wire and don’t get picked up because 29 other teams are sorting out their rosters.

It doesn’t mean that Minnesota wouldn’t look at their options today and re-evaluate.

If Fletcher were taking calls and the going return was a 5th round pick, or you could take a warm-body who is scoring well at the AHL level and has draft pedigree with some leftover new-car-smell, I think he might take the player asset. Lander has already surpassed the NHL games played threshold likely for a 5th round pick.

125. RexLibris says:

Just had a look at the goal differential at TSN and jumping jehosephat Buffalo and St. Louis have some problems on offense – 5 and 6 goals, respectively.

126. RexLibris says:

[]JUST[]KEEP[]CALM[]AND[]CORSI[]ON[]:
    RexLibris,

John Scott is a _____ _____ in the NHL.

Let’s play Wheel of Goonery!

I’d like to buy a vowel, Pat.

127. RexLibris says:

Pretendergast:

No kidding.

Gotta add Robbie Schremp and the negotiation rights to Brian Leetch in there as well.

Sheesh, be realistic.

128. oliveoilers says:

Hope this works….

129. "Frank The Dog" says:

flyfish1168:
    Jon Cooper has done an excellent job with the Lightening

Hired from the AHL. Just like Dallas, perhaps Nelson.

130. TheOtherJohn says:

Rex

The last tme an Oiler 5th played real NHL games was?? Brodziak?

You have a desperate GM (of his own making) on the line why would you accept a 5th
    for an asset he NEEDS?

Sit in Fletcher’s chair for 2 minutes. The worst prospect Id think of asking for would be Musil or Roy

131. Genjutsu says:

RexLibris: Let’s play Wheel of Goonery!

I’d like to buy a vowel, Pat.

Jeebus that was savage. The man knows his role.

132. []JUST[]KEEP[]CALM[]AND[]CORSI[]ON[] says:

oliveoilers,

Make that a double!

133. flyfish1168 says:

“Frank The Dog”: Hired from the AHL. Just like Dallas, perhaps Nelson.

Funny I actually wanted Jon as our associate coach to Ralph before MacT went a different direction.

Jon isn’t in over his head coaching the TB Lightening

134. Genjutsu says:

Woodguy:
    Genjutsu,

Tinordi is no lock for a NHL career.

Beaulieu is the goods though.

Agree on Nathan, but I live in Montreal and they love Tinordi. They have the same size lust that the Oilers suffer from. Plus he punches faces.

I can’t see them dumping the 3C on the team unless they got scoring coming in. They aren’t that deep at C.

GMs with fancy suits, on the other hand, they have in spades.

135. commonfan14 says:

It’s hard to start thinking this way already, but the right move at this point is probably to only make trades with the goal of improving the team for next year.

The payoffs were going to be a tough ask if things went well, and instead they’re off to the worst start in franchise history. Very little point in making deals to try to come in 10th in the conference.

If McDavid is as Crosby-esque as he looks right now, you’ll need a stopwatch that goes to hundredths of seconds to measure how quickly we forget this one more lost season after his first 4-point game in an Oiler uniform.

It’s incredibly distasteful.

I don’t like writing it.

Doesn’t make it not true.

136. RexLibris says:

Genjutsu: Jeebus that was savage. The man knows his role.

Just watched the replay http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7Qu8qQzZmo

Love the part where the colour guys says “John Scott is a tough guy but he’s not a dirty player”.

I wish the Oilers’ commentary guys would do stand-up comedy during games like that.

137. Hammers says:

Looks like most don’t like Eller but I would do Eller for Peron and put Leon to the wing .I wouldn’t do Klefbom but I would do any of the other “D” + like Garnat and Lander as an example . Probably won’t be Perron but McT seems like he likes size and former 1st rd picks so it wouldn’t surprise me if he comes .

138. RexLibris says:

TheOtherJohn,

Yes, and I understand that MacTavish is over a barrel.

But if Fletcher pushes on wanting Marco Roy or even David Musil for one year of a fading Kyle Brodziak then I’d tell him we’ll talk again later.

Just because other GMs try to treat you like a weakened target doesn’t mean you need to respond like one. Have a price and stick to it. This wouldn’t be the first time that MacTavish has fielded calls from his peers trying to rip him off.

We only see MacTavish as the one who is in the hot seat because as fans we too readily empathize with the home side. Fletcher might be getting pressure to dump the salary if the player is going to be a healthy scratch.

Maybe it doesn’t have to be Lander, but I wouldn’t pay much more.

LostBoy:

By the completion of his 24 year old season (last season), Eller had put up full seasons of 17 (age 21) and 28 points, then what would have been 53 prorated over 82 games (age 23).He fell back to 26 last year, but put up 13 points in 17 playoff games.

Based on the comparison up to that point, if you let the tape run forward with a change in team, I don’t see how Eller suffers by comparison.He’s already had one regular season and one extended playoffs far in excess of anything Brodziak ever did.

And right now he’s five years younger.Eller >>>>> Brodziak.

[edit: and, um, I do realize he’ll always be five years younger…]

We’re going to get hosed in just about any trade for a useful C.

It’s said we need a transitional C because Draisaitl is going to be ready to go in…in….If he is, you know, I’m willing to face up to that problem when it arises.

I’m not real cool with watching this season follow all the others down the shitter.The 0-4-1 start is short term.But we need a capable C added to have any real hope.Nothing in the organization right here and now is sufficient to cover the bet.One semi-significant injury, and never mind covering the bet, it’s full-on disaster.

The 4 year term is the issue as well as the price.

That and his offence is pretty meh.

Oiler’s catch a break:

Kevin Woodley @KevinisInGoal ·
    #Lightning top D Victor Hedman done for rest of 4-game road trip, going back to Tampa Bay to be re-evaluated

Best Dman in the league imo.

141. Younger Oil says:

I might be in the minority here, but that John Scott hit looked clean to me. It’s very unfortunate that the hit caused an injury, but it seems like it’s from the head hitting the ice rather than the hit itself.

Should John Scott be in the league? Based on his talents, no. But should that be considered a dirty hit because he has 10 inches and 80 pounds on the guy he’s hitting? I don’t think so. Sure, he’s shown he’s an idiot in the past, but that doesn’t make every play he makes bad.

To his credit, he does have more goals than Eberle, Nuge, and Schultz combined so far this season.

Hammers:
    Looks like most don’t like Eller but I would do Eller for Peron and put Leon to the wing .I wouldn’t do Klefbom but I would do any of the other “D” + like Garnat and Lander as an example . Probably won’t be Perron but McT seems like he likes size and former 1st rd picksso it wouldn’t surprise me if he comes .

Oilers are not good at scoring goals.

Perron is good at scoring goals.

Giving him up to get a 3C with meh offence isn’t good.

143. oliveoilers says:

Woodguy:
    Oiler’s catch a break:

Kevin Woodley @KevinisInGoal·

Best Dman in the league imo.

We would have healthy scratched him.

144. Numenius says:

I think you’re reading them wrong. This is what I posted in response to you in the last thread:

—————–
    Numenius: Brodziak’s possession numbers look solid in the link you shared. I don’t see how it demonstrates your point.

Brodziak 2014-15

CorsiOn 40.56 (!)
    CorsiRel 17.7
    CorsiRelQualComp -2.8
    CorsiRelQualTeam -12.6
    OffZoneStart 33.3%
    OffZoneFinish 63.6%

He had easy comp, but had poor teammates and horrible zone starts.

And he still came up with incredible CorsiOn and CorsiRel, and had a huge swing to OffZone finishes.

It’s a small sample size, but if that’s a poor performance for him and he’s been better before, sign me up.

145. TheOtherJohn says:

I didn’t say I’d trade Musil or Roy for him, that would be the only type of asset i would even discuss. If MacT wants to roll with what he has: go for it. Problem with inactivity in off season, you pay for it if all your bets aren’t covered.

I said go look at thr cost f the Roloson deal: HUGE because Lowe had back against wall

146. Adam Wu says:

How “desperate” IS MacT, anyways?

If another GM tries to lean on him, I think he can pull out a picture of Katz and say:

I think we as fans are projecting our own desperation for winning hockey now onto these hypothetical negotiations.

You’re never really desperate if Armageddon is a “level of survival you’re willing to accept.”

147. 106 and 106 says:

“Find good players, keep good players, decide on players earlier and play them all in the final pre-season game for crying out loud.”

LT, how about, “Find good players, keep good players, play good players?”

Less wordy, same point across?

148. []JUST[]KEEP[]CALM[]AND[]CORSI[]ON[] says:

Adam Wu: “see this fella here? He’s my boss and we’re buddies. My job’s secure for at least 5 years, no matter what happens on the ice. I walk away today, and me roster hole will fill itself in 2 years if I just wait. And I might even get McDavid out of that too. The fans may howl but the arena still sells out. So tell me one more time how “desperate” you think I am?”

I almost lost a mouthful of precious coffee over that, and 6am Sunday morning coffee is even more precious than normal.

That is a good way to put it though, but ‘Armageddon for McDavid’ just doesn’t flow off the tongue.

149. RexLibris says:

Anyone read Dave Hodge on Yakupov?

The Oilers could have solved some of their defensive woes if they had used that 2012 pick to select Ryan Murray, Jacob Trouba, Olli Maatta, Morgan Rielly, Hampus Lindholm….the list goes on…Instead, the Oilers took the only forward since Patrick Stefan in 1999 that did not warrant the No. 1 honour.

I used to like Hodge but this revisionist crap really pisses me off. Yakupov was concensus #1.

150. RexLibris says:

This is a good one too, The Reporters on what is wrong in Edmonton and Toronto.

Synopsis: goaltending, specifically Scrivens, has not been good enough and they were wrong to think that he could be a #1 goaltender.

No mention of his playing in Toronto prior or that Fasth had also been acquired to compete for the #1 job. Nor the acquisitions elsewhere on the roster from this past summer.

Then this beauty: whats wrong with the Toronto Maple Leafs? We can’t decide just yet because it is too small a sample size.

But it is enough of a sample size thus far this season to pass judgement on what ails the Oilers.

I find it rather interesting that they are so quick to criticize Eakins and Scrivens, and certainly they aren’t without blame so far this season, but that a panel that is so obviously biased towards the Toronto media would also choose to specifically pick on two former Leafs’ properties.

But Steve Simmons thinks Taylor Hall is the only one of the young kids who is actually a good player, so there’s that. I should have known what to expect from this panel once I saw Simmons was included.

151. malinpaul says:

Finally some good trade talk.

I think we can also include picks in 2016, prospects, young LD, scoring wingers…

But let’s do three things:

1. Fill a gap on our team
    2. Add size
    3. Get same value back

#3 seems obvious, but when you are desperate…

152. Genjutsu says:

RexLibris:
    This is a good one too, The Reporters on what is wrong in Edmonton and Toronto.

No mention of his playing in Toronto prior or that Fasth had also been acquired to compete for the #1 job. Nor theacquisitions elsewhere on the roster from this past summer.

I don’t like Hodge, his show is unwatchable rubbish.

So none of that surprizes me. Anything with Steve Simmons on it should be dealt with by an instant change of the channel.

153. simpleNewz - Lowetide.ca RSS Feed for 2014-10-21 says: