SAME TIME NEXT YEAR

The media often runs out in front of things by weeks and weeks, and I suspect that’s the case in the Dallas Eakins employment case. From the Ottawa Sun this morning, Bruce Garrioch frames the issue thusly:

• At what point do the Oilers have to do something just to make their fanbase happy? GM Craig MacTavish made a bold move by hiring coach Dallas Eakins. MacTavish may be forced to make a bold move and fire Eakins two seasons into his four-year deal if this doesn’t get turned around quickly. If that happens, you have to think MacTavish may have to go back behind the bench. Source

As the pressure builds, there’s no doubt the possibility of change comes into view, but I think we’re at least one transaction away from that happening. If the Oilers start 0-9-1 I can see a change, but that’s extremely doubtful. There are some good things here, and the club has left points they earned on the table this season. Bad teams do that, and still don’t go 0-9-1. I expect the coming week will bring better days.

I do find it interesting that every newspaper guy from Abbotsford to Zhoda is writing about the demise, yet the blogs see the improvement and patiently wait for the turnaround. There are signs, and here’s one that just happened and another that will.

MARINCIN REPLACING NURSE

A quick trip through BTN tells us Dallas Eakins is deploying the troops properly (example: Check out Marincin’s zone starts for game one) and the ‘roster trades’ are going to have their desired impact. Trading Nurse for Marincin gives the team a push defensively and Marincin can also move and pass the puck. He takes fewer risks too, so that’s a net gain of some significance. Added to the massive change in zone starts—Eakins can now play other pairings in the offensive zone—and that’s going to help.

The result should be improved play from the entire group. Certainly to my eye (and others) Andrew Ference was more effective, and as the season rolls along the veterans in this six should really begin to make a difference.

THE DRAISAITL SITUATION

First a few things: Although I rated Sam Bennett No. 1 overall, I was absolutely in favor of the Edmonton Oilers selecting Leon and believe he will have a long and successful career. However, it’s time to send him down. After five games in the NHL, and after five games of getting an extreme zone start push, Leon isn’t delivering and his Corsi number is leaking. What’s more, Nail Yakupov’s number is also alarming and the Russian has made terrific strides by eye. When the math and the eye don’t mesh, there’s usually a reason and in this case it’s the rookie center.

Again. I’m not suggesting it’s a failed pick or that Draisaitl will never be the player Edmonton projected him to be, only that he is not that player now. With his coach in peril, Craig MacTavish has to do the right thing and make the call. Even if it means Anton Lander or Will Acton or Bogdam Yakimov or Jason Williams, it is time. The Carolina game simply has to be the first game where the team is locked, loaded and balanced (or the Oilers’ version of balanced).

LEON DRAISAITL 14-15 (all numbers BTN)

• 5×5 points per 60: 1.16 (5th among regular forwards)
  • 5×4 points per 60: nil
  • Corsi For 5×5 %: 49.02%
  • Qual Comp: 7th toughest among regular forwards (3 line opp)
  • Qual Team: poorest teammates among regular forwards (4line)
  • Corsi Rel: -12.9 (12th best among regular forwards)
  • Zone Start: 78.3% (3rd easiest among regular forwards)x
  • Shots on goal/percentage: 7 shots, no goals
  • Boxcars: 5gp, 0-1-1

As you can see, the numbers aren’t terrible but Edmonton (so far) hasn’t been scoring enough goals. The wingers on this team are very good—don’t let a small sample size fool you—and the club has had opportunities when Draisaitl is on the ice. In another season, maybe if the Oilers had won G1 against Calgary and won the shootout in VCR, you’d be inclined to ponder keeping Draisaitl beyond the 9 games.

I’m in the decided column. Before his 10th game, Leon Draisaitl should be sent away.

133 Responses to "SAME TIME NEXT YEAR"

1. RexLibris says:

I posted these on the last thread, and will re-post here:

Anyone read Dave Hodge on Yakupov?

The Oilers could have solved some of their defensive woes if they had used that 2012 pick to select Ryan Murray, Jacob Trouba, Olli Maatta, Morgan Rielly, Hampus Lindholm….the list goes on…Instead, the Oilers took the only forward since Patrick Stefan in 1999 that did not warrant the No. 1 honour.

I used to like Hodge but this revisionist crap really pisses me off. Yakupov was concensus #1.

and this:

This is a good one too, The Reporters on what is wrong in Edmonton and Toronto.

Synopsis: goaltending, specifically Scrivens, has not been good enough and they were wrong to think that he could be a #1 goaltender.

No mention of his playing in Toronto prior or that Fasth had also been acquired to compete for the #1 job. Nor the acquisitions elsewhere on the roster from this past summer.

Then this beauty: whats wrong with the Toronto Maple Leafs? We can’t decide just yet because it is too small a sample size.

But it is enough of a sample size thus far this season to pass judgement on what ails the Oilers.

I find it rather interesting that they are so quick to criticize Eakins and Scrivens, and certainly they aren’t without blame so far this season, but that a panel that is so obviously biased towards the Toronto media would also choose to specifically pick on two former Leafs’ properties.

But Steve Simmons thinks Taylor Hall is the only one of the young kids who is actually a good player, so there’s that. I should have known what to expect from this panel once I saw Simmons was included.

LT, when you say that the media from A to Z(ed) is writing about the Oilers’ demise, unfortunately you also get this stuff.

Rex: Yep. Can’t WAIT for the rig to turn around and watch many stand in wonder. This is a perfect storm really. If the Oilers continue to do the things Eakins is currently doing (the Fs are a dream and the D is coming around) and Ben Scrivens plays at career norm, it’s going to be a much stronger season than MSM believe.

The only questions I have about sustain are the health of the team and MacT addressing center.

3. supernova says:

What happens at game 10 if MacT doesn’t have a Dr. Drai replacement ?

Do we call up lander & Yakimov ?

I am in the decided column as well to send him back. The best thing about this 9 game trial is I think both the player and the team would be in agreement. Leon is looking more unsure (at least plays that way ) each game.

I am thinking he probably wanders if he is good enough yet?

4. hunter1909 says:

During the last game, early on Yakupov had a shift where he handled the puck 4-5 times; in literally all four zones of the ice. It was like watching Paganini play fiddle. Particularly the last time, because he skated to a certain point in the offensive zone and the puck seemed to fly toward his stick from nowhere. At that point I realized he’s probably better than Taylor Hall. Which is saying a lot.

Yakupov is so going to destroy the NHL. The only knock on him presently, is that he’s not trying to get the coach fired like Hall+Eberle lmao. Too virtuous.

5. dwillms says:

Lots of talk yesterday about Eller as a trade target after the news the Oilers had a scout at the Montreal game.

Seems to me unless they make a bigger trade to acquire a proven #2 C, the perfect stopgap would be someone on a 1 or 2 year deal to provide flexibility once Leon is ready.

Any other possibilities you can come up with besides Brodziak?

6. steveb12344 says:

I think Coach and Drai will get these next 4-5 games for sure, but they will be crucial games not only for them but maybe the entire organization. What is desperately needed right now is a convincing win against a very good team. Tampa would be perfect.

Maybe all this negative media attention can work for them, and some teams will take them for granted, and get surprised. Lol, I’ll take any edge we can get right now.

7. RexLibris says:

Agreed.

It was a huge relief when they sent Nurse back. I don’t care who replaces Draisaitl internally at this point, but he needs to go back to junior.

They need to do the same with Draisaitl.

I had argued that the Flames ought to have sent Monahan back to Ottawa last year when he had 3 goals (no assists) in his first nine games, and while draft pedigree and junior numbers far favour Draisaitl over Monahan, I would far rather see the young prospect spend this season playing elsewhere.

So long as they don’t replace him with Yakimov, I really don’t care if Lander gets the remaining 74 games, just so long as they don’t screw up this kid. What he has shown so far, while nascent, is breathtaking and something I haven’t seen in an Oilers jersey since Doug Weight, and I’m not sure if even then.

8. G Money says:

The Oilers this season and the last eight have made themselves an easy target for every hack who can fire up a word processor. The only thing that will shut them up is to start winning a few games, and to look like a team that has potential this year, and not because they have a fair shot at McDavid.

Until then, the vultures will feast on the carcass.

Send him back and let him work on his 200 foot game. The idea that he’ll pick up bad habits in Jr because he’s so big is nonsense. That’s what coaching is for. He’ll get to spend the season working on his bad habits and improving on his good ones.

9. hunter1909 says:

Aside from wasting a year on his entry level contract methinks that they should keep Leon around. No way is he going to get hurt – the kid’s a Tiger tank.

10. 106 and 106 says:

About Marincin deployment:

Find Good Players, Keep Good Players, Play Good Players.

Marincin Freed!

11. hunter1909 says:

G Money: Based on what I’ve seen in Leon’s game so far, there’s little doubt in my mind he’ll be what the Oilers need at 2C long term. But feeding him to NHL wolves every night does him no good. He might still overcome, but the hill gets steeper.

Then I’ll read this and agree completely.

12. supernova says:

Watched a large portion of the NYI and Pitt game.

Was a very good 2-1 game to watch. It was like watching the first round of the playoffs.

Very small sample size but impressions of a few islanders;

Boychuk was constantly looking for the big hit and big play leaving himself out of the play at times.

– Nelson is on a tear and clearly he is playing like this is his last chance to get a great opportunity, guy has a great shot and played very physical.
    – neilson this is the guy we need.
    – Bailey was pretty invisible to me
    – Leddy apparently didn’t have coach Q’s trust in Chicago. May already be in the doghouse according to commentators of the game. He has skill and skating. He might be just the case of not having enough GP. Everyone forgets including coaches it takes longer for D.
    – Matt Martin – plays like a young matt Hendricks

If there is any trade still available with NYI – I would want Nelson or Neilson

Not the only islander game I have watched. I have seen about 5 the last year.

So I’m slowing catching up to Oilers’ going on.

2) Lander is offensively challenged, but he can handle a 4th line role with heavy D zone starts against weaker lines. And he tends to get players on the other team mad at him, though in bland way. His game is bland. But he is the 4th best centre in the organization. Play him.

Hall, Nugent-Hopkins, Eberle (balanced zone starts)
    Perron, Gordon, Purcell (balanced zone starts)
    Pouliot, Arcobello, Yakupov (offensive zone start heavy)
    Hendricks, Lander, Joenssu (defensive zone starts against 4th, 3rd, and occasionally 2nd lines)
    I said basicallly this during the summer.

i.e. use the 4th line to let Yakupov’s line be o-zone start heavy. All you want the 4th line to be able to do is clear the d-zone, and get the puck deep into the opposition end and get off the ice.

3) I favoured Bennett, partly because it would have forced the OIlers to get a centre. The consensus scouting reports clearly show that Draisaitl was viewed as borderline top tier. I think he will be a really good NHL player. Just not this year. Send him back to Prince Albert with a plan.

4) On D. I’m thinking.

Klefbom, Fayne (kill them with D-zone starts)
    Marincin, Petry (balanced starts)
    Nikitin, Schultz (o-zone starts)
    Ference.

5) Would Pitlick get you Brodziak?

6) Trading Horcoff was a big mistake. I said so at the time. There was no need to do it with a compiiaince buyout stashed in your back pocket. But MacT (hypothesis) wanted Ference as his captain, and didn’t want to take the C from Horcoff.

14. G Money says:

hunter1909: At that point I realized he’s probably better than Taylor Hall. Which is saying a lot.

Ha, I get what you’re saying, and I’ve made many posts and even a blog article defending Yak, showing that last year his start was all about sh% hiding a decent game before the Oilers made a whole bunch of bad decisions and torpedoed their season and their game and Yak along with it, and predicting that Yak’s probably going to make a lot of critics eat their words this year (and so far so good).

But better than Hall? Let’s not go too far.

If Yak becomes a decent playmaker (so far so good), a capable two way player (trend positive), and a perennial threat to score 30 or more, he’s golden.

RexLibris:

Only because Galchenyuk and Rielly had endured major injuries. Teams who did their medical due diligence might not have agreed with the consensus, which because of injuries, was an asterisked consensus.

Godot: Agree on Horcoff. I know he’s always been a favorite of this blog, but it would have been nice to have him mentor Yakupov and now Leon.

17. "Frank The Dog" says:

If it’s consensus that Drai be sent down, by better hockey heads than my own, which of the available C’s will, right now, do a better job than Drai?

I see Yak2 as the only option, after all he is a year older and has played against men for the last year. I think if Drai plays in Germany for a year he will be better then than Yakl is now, but it seems to me from training camp that while Drai was anointed, Yak performed well enough to earn a shot. After all, Big Bo will likely be optimum with Yak, all the others will cramp him.

18. Dicky94 says:

If Colorado keeps losing they might want to shake things up. They can’t seem to score right now. Mac T said if he made a move for a center it wouldn’t just be for a temporary fix. ROR could be shopped if they keep losing for a scoring winger. We wait.

“Frank The Dog”:

Yakimov might be ready by January. Till then or the rest of the year or until a trade, Lander is the best option.

Lander is what he is. Rushing Yakimov, like Draisaitl, risks ruining a player.

20. RexLibris says:

The interesting thing is that the Oilers have been so bad for so long and the expectation amongst the media, by way of ignoring the details and choosing to push a pre-determined narrative, is that the team has had enough time and needs to be good now, regardless of the circumstances.

If this panel had spent the same amount to time to discuss the wasted years by Tambellini and that MacTavish was now having to accelerate the depth acquisition of the team that ought to have been done under the previous administration, then highlight some of the errors of the current group such as sitting Petry or sending down Marincin – that would be entirely reasonable.

But they wouldn’t because to bring up the former point implicates this same group in naivete when they feted the young Oilers as being set for future success back when it was Hall, Eberle and Paajarvi.

The Oilers made the media look foolish and that is something they will never forgive.

If, by some chance of draft lottery luck, the Oilers were to draft McDavid I believe that the organization, in this specific instance through no fault of their own, would become a media pariah in a way that the Vancouver Canucks for all their off-ice antics and on-ice goonery, or the Leafs for their commitment to perpetual mediocrity never have.

It is incredibly frustrating to see the narrative, or more appropriately now: spin, in the public consumption sphere become more and more divorced from the reality of the situation.

21. russ99 says:

I’d think Eakins has until the end of the month, 4 of 5 home games against the East.

I do agree that there was improvement in the last game, but we need improvement on offense that shows up on the scoreboard.

If we have to play safe on offense to help he defense, with the dump/cycle and play being confined to the outside, we’re not going to win any of those 5 games.

We can be responsible on defense while opening up the offense, getting to tough areas, breaking up the 4-man zone in the high slot that’s so effective against us.

22. RexLibris says:

godot10: Only because Galchenyuk and Rielly had endured major injuries.Teams who did their medical due diligence might not have agreed with the consensus, which because of injuries, was an asterisked consensus.

Full disclosure, I wanted the Oilers to take a chance and select Galchenyuk.

I felt he could be nearly as good as Yakupov and his skill set complemented the team more than another winger.

However, Yakupov completed an astonishing final junior season without Galchenyuk at his side, so that counts for something.

Reilly was a beautiful prospect, and I vividly recall many wondering if he ought not be in the conversation, certainly more so than Griffin Reinhart (a player I’ve seen play many times and never believed was a 1st overall talent). However, Reilly never got to the point of being the kind of defender one takes 1st overall given his peers. Murray was closer, but for me it came down to Galchenyuk, Yakupov and then Murray.

I also lobbied for Seguin up until he came to town for the interviews with Katz. Saw something then that made me switch to Hall, but I was pro-Seguin for most of that year.

And I was in the Nugent-Hopkins camp right from the get-go. Loved what he did away from the puck as much as with.

Spot a trend? I believe strongly in the value of centers over wingers, hence my fondness for what Draisaitl brings.

23. RexLibris says:

godot10: Yakimov might be ready by January.Till then or the rest of the year or until a trade, Lander is the best option.

Lander is what he is.Rushing Yakimov, like Draisaitl, risks ruining a player.

Agreed. Use Lander for the time being.

Heck, who knows maybe he even becomes a tradeable asset.

Yakimov looks closer than Draisaitl, but that is relative. Neither belongs this year and every game Yakimov plays in the AHL this year will pay larger dividends down the road when he is ready.

Can anyone say that Lander’s offense is going to be significantly worse than Draisaitl’s now?

The only real concern is whether his lack of offensive ability at the NHL level thus far will significantly impact his wingers.

If he torpedoes Yakupov, we’ve got a problem.

But Arco with Yakupov could solve that, and Lander – Pouliot – Purcell would be a good line to spell off Gordon – Hendricks – Joensuu once in awhile.

My favorite thing about twitter is our ability to give writers feedback. Even if they dismiss it or don’t read it, it sure feels better.

Just don’t be an asshole in your criticism.

Woodguy @Woodguy55
    @TSNDaveHodge Yakupov was the consensus #1. Monday morning quarterbacking about the draft is beneath you. At least I hope it is.

Woodguy @Woodguy55
    @TSNDaveHodge “Oilers took the only forward since Patrick Stefan in 1999 that did not warrant the No. 1 honour” This is demonstrably false.

@TSNDaveHodge Bob’s list: http://www2.tsn.ca/draftcentre/feature/?id=9831

Redline report: http://eyeonthesens.com/2012/06/08/red-line-reports-2012-nhl-draft-guide/

Central Scouting: http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=79331

Woodguy @Woodguy55
    @TSNDaveHodge To compare a consesus #1 with “off the board” Stefan is disingenuous and poor journalism.

25. RexLibris says:

Flames at Winnipeg tonight. Engelland out with an injury and the Jets have only scored one goal in the last three games.

Some talk of whether Gaudreau should be sent to Adirondack to get his game going. Funny, I was sure based on the hype going in that he’d have a dozen points by now.

26. RexLibris says:

Woodguy:
    My favorite thing about twitter is our ability to give writers feedback.Even if they dismiss it or don’t read it, it sure feels better.

Just don’t be an asshole in your criticism.

Woodguy @Woodguy55
    @TSNDaveHodge Yakupov was the consensus #1. Monday morning quarterbacking about the draft is beneath you.At least I hope it is.

@TSNDaveHodge Bob’s list: http://www2.tsn.ca/draftcentre/feature/?id=9831

Central Scouting: http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=79331

Seriously, thank you.

With Galchenyuk only playing 2 games in his draft year, making him the #1 would been seen as insane.

I’d bet if MTL has the #1 they take Yak

Much easier to take Galchenyuk at #3.

That being said, some of us did want a C, but the lack of draft year sample made picking him 1st was almost impossible.

RexLibris: disingenuous

Stella or any good Irish Whiskey.

Thank you.

29. rickey889 says:

RexLibris,

the media has a right to criticize this gong show here, in fact the only media really telling the truth are the ones outside edmonton, as they are not afraid of any ramifications. Lack of sample size, how about 8 years of missing playoffs, how about having the exact same start as last year,
    What did Mact do this year, bring in the 7th defencemen that Columbus healthy scratched in the playoffs for Nick Schultz last playoffs, think about that , only reason he is here because nobody in there right mind would give him 4.5 million a year. Benoit pouilot has been on 5 teams in the last 5 years Nuff said, and having 2 3rd string goalies and selling them as no1 starters, thats exactly what happened last season,
    AS for Dave Hodge, its easy to say in hindsight maybe the oilers should have taken a defencemen, though ryan murray has not transformed into drew doughty yet, but if Yakapov continutes to develop like patrick stefan rather than steven stamkos then maybe Hodge can get a gold medal there.

I agree with this.

The big bogey is goaltending.

We waited for it to turn around last year and it didn’t.

Scrivens is playing better, but we are one Scrivens injury away from the bottom 5.

31. Yeti says:

hunter1909:

I can’t work out if you actually believe this or not. The suspense is killing me.

32. rickey889 says:

Woodguy,

yes goaltending is a huge issue, but how about last game against vancouver, scrivens lets in 1 goal, and the oilers had all there supposed young guns back, and they get shut out.
    how long before the supposed core of this group is questioned, they are not all young teenagers anymore, hall year 5 eberle year 5, nuge year 4, yakapov year 3, they are the goal scorers arent they,. This team doesnt score 5 on 5, last in nhl for scoring last season. they are not a high powered scoring machine despite all these top skilled draft picks.

33. D says:

For me, the best part of this season so far is seeing my favourite player (Yakupov) slowly, but surely shut all the naysayers up.

34. Ryan says:

Dicky94:

Well, if I were Mact, I’d sure have a few conversations with Roy hoping to catch him on tilt. Colorado has so many very nice things.

35. Yeti says:

hunter1909:

Maybe so. But then get a centre and move him to wing, no?

36. RexLibris says:

Woodguy,

By the same token, if Scrivens gets injured you have a team that went to war with two potential starters and lost both to injury within the first ten games.

Not even Anaheim could withstand that kind of loss without impact.

It would doom the season and be right on script for this organization, but not necessarily the indictment of management some would make it out to be.

37. LostBoy says:

Woodguy:

The way the team is put together now, one Arcobello injury would probably do it.

38. Hammers says:

I wouldn’t send Leon back but I would put him on the wing . Size , IQ , Holds puck , The trade needs made not sure if its Perron but wouldn’t be surprised . If not its Petry & Klef comes up but a “C” is needed.

39. jb says:

“I do find it interesting that every newspaper guy from Abbotsford to Zhoda is writing about the demise, yet the blogs see the improvement and patiently wait for the turnaround”

Tell me more about this pseudo improvement? We went through this last year, strong corsi numbers while piling up the losses and GA doesn’t suggest a turnaround is on the way. It never will.

Guys like Tyler don’t get hired to sit there and spout off the daily possession numbers like they have some kinda insider info on the game. They’re hired to advance it to the point of being real world useful to a club. Corsi by itself is no where near that, whyyyy do blogs talk like they have an edge up on the rest of the world because they focus on shots and possession stats?

godot10,

1) As per hubbub Marincin was sent down as a message to listen to the Oilers and come into camp in game shape. They wanted him in better shape and in town a month earlier than he showed up.

I actually understand why they did it and agree for the most part. My problem with them is that they do not apply all their rules evenly.

Marincin came back up fast because of the gong show on D (that we all saw coming) If the Oilers are 3-2-0 right now he’s still in OKC and is back up after Nurse goes down

2)Hall, Nugent-Hopkins, Eberle (balanced zone starts)
    Perron, Gordon, Purcell (balanced zone starts)
    Pouliot, Arcobello, Yakupov (offensive zone start heavy)
    I said basicallly this during the summer.

I think it would be a mistake to break up 23-27-6.

Their results against the toughs with an unheardof 10% OZS is nothing short than amazing and the best thing this team has going for it.

Lander, although he hasn’t scored at all in the NHL, is still the more offensive of Gordon/Lander and they should slide him into Line 3.

I see this:

4-93-14 75%OZS – Get your best players in the ozone. VAN starts Sedins 80%+
    57-26-10 75% OZS – Get Yak & Perron to the ozone as much as possible too
    67-51-16 – 35% OZS – They get every DZS that doesn’t have the other team’s best
    23-27-6 – 10% OZS – Every DZS against the other team’s best

41. davidferron says:

Lowetide, who do you think the oilers will be targeting, I think we both know Draisatl is not ready, whether he is sent down is up for debate, could he not move to a wing if we have another centre via trade?

jb:

The Oilers are using the Gordon line as a severe own-zone start line with incredible results. That’s not a possession stat, that’s a fact. Martin Marincin replacing Darnell Nurse and taking over the heavy zone starts isn’t a possession stat, that’s a fact. This is hard evidence of good things happening. Challenges might include the severe ZS Hall’s line experienced Friday night, and we’ll look for improvement.

How much of that is Corsi? And how much of that are you going to read today from MSM?

43. HiddenDarts says:

RexLibris: Sir, I would like to buy you a beer, or some equivalent in the alcoholic currency of your choosing.

Seriously, thank you.

What Rex said, WG. Stud move!

godot10,

3) Agree 100%

4) 4) On D. I’m thinking.
    Klefbom, Fayne (kill them with D-zone starts)
    Marincin, Petry (balanced starts)
    Nikitin, Schultz (o-zone starts)
    Ference.

I think Marincin is better than Klef today so I swap them. Otherwise agree

5) You don’t have to pay that much

6) Or sign Ollie for a year…..

45. RexLibris says:

rickey889,

Then mention that in your criticism.

But they don’t.

Want to rip the Oilers for flailing around for years trying to convince themselves that Gagner/Cogliano/Nilsson were going to be good enough? That Taylor Chorney and Theo Peckham were potential top-four defensemen or that they could afford to trade away draft picks for players like Kotalik? That they lost four years of rebuilding time under Tambellini?

By all means. I have been vocal on these counts in the past myself.

But the criticisms being leveled today, and specifically in the segment I mentioned, don’t touch on those facts but trade on the frustration implied by the long drought which you mention.

The organization needs to recognize and admit their errors, but blame needs to be applied appropriately rather than indiscriminately and at the whim of frustrated and angry fans and media for past sins, real or perceived.

dwillms:

Any other possibilities you can come up with besides Brodziak?

Anisimov in CBJ has always been coveted.

If Dubinksy hadn’t of gone down the deal might already have been done.

CBJ has lost Horton too and they are desperate for scoring on the wings.

Perron for Anisimov was bandied about and that is actually a more realistic trade than Perron for Eller.

He has a very solid 5v5 pt/60 record which ranks him as a solid 2C

2009-2010 Season ARTEMANISIMOV 1.69
    2010-2011 Season ARTEMANISIMOV 1.98
    2011-2012 Season ARTEMANISIMOV 1.72
    2012-2013 Season ARTEMANISIMOV 2.35
    2013-2014 Season ARTEMANISIMOV 1.91
    2014-2015 Season ARTEMANISIMOV 2.00

47. G Money says:

The MSM these days are nothing but a bunch of arrivistes and flibbertigibbets. Experts in obnubilation, they’re garrulous and constantly indulging in vituperation. I’m glad WG was able to torrefy at least one of them, though Hodge is hardly the worst offender. Meanwhile, MacT and Eakins’ early season decisions have left the team in a gadarene race to subterranean levels, leaving fans in a Saturnine dolor.

48. 106 and 106 says:

Woodguy,

I like the look of your D-pairings, but I think we’ve seen enough to know that Eakins still sees his captain in a good light, and I don’t see them putting Ference out of lineup unless he gets injured.

Ference is 3rd pairing for a few more years, and i think that’ll be our reality.

jb,

Because people who ignore them are usually wrong.

Because corsi in samples this small is a better predictor of future success than goals.

Just using corsi to predict doesn’t work, but its a key cog.

5v5 SV% is another key in that prediction cog.

So far the Oilers have had .854 5v5 goaltending, which is 29th in the NHL.

If you think this will continue then you do not think that they will improve.

If you think it will improve back to ~.912 (Fasth/Scrivens history) then they will improve.

5v5 SH% is another important key in the prediction cog:

So far the Oilers are shooting 4.96% 5v5 which is 28th in the NHL.

If you think this will continue then you do not think they will improve.

If you think it will improve back to 7.75-8.0% (last 2 years) then they will improve.

Special teams is another predictor, but I need to go to the store for my wife.

Maybe I’ll write about it on my blog (hahahaha, yeah right)

G Money:
    The MSM these days are nothing but a bunch of arrivistes and flibbertigibbets.Experts in obnubilation, they’re garrulous and constantly indulging in vituperation.I’m glad WG was able to torrefy at least one of them, though Hodge is hardly the worst offender.Meanwhile, MacT and Eakins’ early season decisions have left the team in a gadarene race to subterranean levels, leaving fans in a Saturnine dolor.

*meandering repeated hand thunder*

51. G Money says:

jb: whyyyy do blogs talk like they have an edge up on the rest of the world because they focus on shots and possession stats?

In medicine, those who use both in-person clinical diagnosis along with tests, measurements, and treatments backed by statistical analysis are called ‘doctors’. Those who do not use tests, measurements, and statistically validated treatments are called ‘quacks’.

In business, those who use both day-to-day business involvement in conjunction with accounting, financial, and operational measures are called ‘successful’. Those who do not use them are generally called ‘failures’.

I do not know of a single hockey blog that uses stats instead of actual watching of the game. Every person I’ve ever read who makes extensive use of stats has been intensively knowledgeable about the game – vastly moreso than the ones who eschew the use of stats.

Please point me at a single human endeavour – anywhere – where all else being equal, those with less information make better decisions than those with more information. Then I’ll at least cede that your point has merit.

52. Ryan says:

Woodguy,

Well, I don’t think there’s a question as to whether or not the Oilers will improve… Right now, we’re on pace for 16.4 points on the season. That’s a pretty low bar…

If the plan is to send down Draisatl and recall Lander for the remainder of the season, I’d be pretty disappointed.

53. G Money says:

Woodguy,

Heh heh, nicely done. In case you’re wondering about my preceding sesquipedalian indulgence, I read an amusing article about “SAT Words That Deserve To Be In Your Everyday Life”, and I found quite a number of them that seemed to fit the current Oiler fan zeitgeist. (DAMMIT I CAN’T STOP) So I challenged myself to use them in a sentence, and failing that, in a paragraph.

54. Bling says:

Woodguy:

I agree with this.

The big bogey is goaltending.

We waited for it to turn around last year and it didn’t.

The 06/07 team barely squeaked into the playoffs with their goaltending situation (Conklin/Markannen, Mike Morrison in for shootouts) until Roloson came, and even then the latter wasn’t really great shakes down the stretch.

Of course, he was lights out good in the playoffs.

That team was pretty special, though. Great depth at C (Horc/Peca/Stoll), and the blue was sublime (Pronger/Spacek/Smith/Staios/Bergeron/Greene)

Just goes to show you how important goaltending is.

I think Scrivens will come around.

Unfortunately, it won’t be enough until the D deployment is further optimized and centre ice is addressed.

Sigh.

55. stevezie says:

G Money,

Malcolm gladwell spent some time in Blink outlining a few examples. The Chicago hospital which would serve as the inspiration for E.R found that doctors could better diagnose heart attacks with three pieces od information rather than seventeen. Sometimes extra info clouds he issue.

Of course, I completely agree with your present point.

Re Yakupov in 2012:

Bob McKenzie on Yakupov: “8 of the 10 scouts I talked to said he is the #1 prospect in the draft.”
    Bob McKenzie on Yakupov: “And as much as he is the consensus #1 pick I would say the gap between Nail Yakupov and the rest of the field–over the year–closed considerably.”

He was in fact the top ranked player. Edmonton would have been up in arms with another pick.

57. WeirsBeard says:

Woodguy:

Just don’t be an asshole in your criticism.

@TSNDaveHodge Bob’s list: http://www2.tsn.ca/draftcentre/feature/?id=9831

Central Scouting: http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=79331

Woodguy @Woodguy55

Bro, do you even watch the games?

Seriously though, I am continually amazed by the eastern media’s lack of understanding of the western clubs. Is Friedman the only one that stays up past ten o’clock to do his job?

58. WeirsBeard says:

Re Yakupov in 2012:

Agreed. Yakupov isn’t really a problem. I do not think he’s ever been really put in a position to succeed.

Inexperience looks worse when your roster is filled with guys on their way out of the league.

59. oliveoilers says:

G Money:
    Woodguy,

Heh heh, nicely done.In case you’re wondering about my preceding sesquipedalian indulgence, I read an amusing article about “SAT Words That Deserve To Be In Your Everyday Life”, and I found quite a number of them that seemed to fit the current Oiler fan zeitgeist.(DAMMIT I CAN’T STOP) So I challenged myself to use them in a sentence, and failing that, in a paragraph.

Your points are all very cromulent. I can’t wait for the team to realise their potential and embiggin their standing in the NHL.

60. oliveoilers says:

9 out of 10 cats prefer Whiskas

Now THAT’S fancy stats!

Ryan:
    Woodguy,

Well, I don’t think there’s a question as to whether or not the Oilers will improve… Right now, we’re on pace for 16.4 points on the season.That’s a pretty low bar…

Why?

62. oliveoilers says:

Even the Midgard Serpent would shake his head at the state of the Oilers, and he’s USED to biting his own tail.

63. Ryan says:

Woodguy: Why?

I’m sorry man, but I guess as an Oilers fan, I can only dream of watching meaningful hockey games in November.

64. Bling says:

I like Lander.

He hasn’t had average NHL players as linemates ever, and he was rushed to the NHL before he was ready.

Not sure why a guy like him can’t get the Draisatl push right now.

Ryan: I’m fine with sending down Draisatl… But if Anton Lander is the fallback plan (instead of finding a (stopgap), this is another lost season.

I agree that I’d like them to aim higher than Lander.

I’m not sure that someone like Eller is aiming higher than Lander though.

66. 9,998,383,750,000 says:

Well, of course the media is piling on from afar. They can take credit on both sides. If the story ends in blood it’s “see, we told you so.” If the team makes a miraculous recovery it’s “good thing someone finally told those yahoos what they needed to do to find success.” There’s nothing the MSM likes more than braying over a sure thing.

We have a certain perception of where we stand based on strength of schedule. We know the LA game is still out of reach, though we could have embarrassed ourselves a lot less. Heading the next day into Phoenix was no treat. Then there were the two Canuck games. I think LT called the Canucks a bubble team the other day. That’s actually a supposition. My brother has a far better track record predicting the Canucks than I have of predicting the Oilers. He tabbed the Canucks for 97 point bounce-back season. We both know there’s a hint of optimism in his prediction, but already we see Vrbata settled in and happier than a pig in piss jacuzzi. If the Canucks really are set for a 97-point campaign—we’re doing our unlevel best to send them on their way with a champagne shower—they’re far from a cake walk on the back end of three games in four nights with a beefy beginning.

I think I’m finally beginning to triangulate the MacT–Eakins master plan. The other day I wrestled with some half-baked thinking out loud. Here’s the thing about half-baked ideas: when wrestling with a half-baked idea, the mind has a tendency to become a one-trick pony. The trees begin to loom over the forest.

You get to a point in your thinking that you say “well, it could be like this”. But then you look at this new structure and go “but what keeps it standing up?” Walls of mithril. Light-weight, comfortable, supple, flexible, and buckle-proof. Faramir doesn’t even notice the true miracle. He only sees the ring. So you’ve got this mental house of cards half built, and every wall has two knees, and you’re like a mental octopus trying to brace all those knees at the same time, because you’re down to your last can of mithril spray paint, and every time you shake the can, most of what you feel are the shaker-bobble adenoids achieving free fall.

But actually what happens is that some of those flimsy walls do miraculously remain standing when you let them go, without even an application of mithril paint. And then you suddenly realize “oh, there’s a deeper reason why that wall doesn’t just fall over”. The first time you invent corded aluminum poles inside your mind, your brain informs you that all the pole joints with turn into a sloppy accordion the moment you force the extended pole to bear a load. What you don’t realize, at first, is that when the poles are well-aligned, the buckling forces are extremely tiny—and it only takes a tiny aluminum sleeve at each knee joint to keep all the pole well aligned. Even then, your mental instinct is going to be that if you bend this flimsy construction, all the force will concentrate at the aluminum sleeves, which will quickly fatigue and fail. But what actually happens is that the hollow aluminum poles take up most of the flex. If they were solid poles, they wouldn’t do that, but you had to hollow them out to run the cord inside. Solid aluminum struts strung together (by some other imaginary method) would almost certainly rupture at the elbows. A hollow aluminum tube, however, can be flexible enough to make the small bracing sleeves viable without losing critical strength.

The first step is to envision a novel structure. The second step is to discover the unexpected sources of strength and resilience. It’s during this second step that an idea is maximally half-baked, when your mental tentacles are still trying to hold on to everything at the same time, because there are no aluminum sleeves yet, or the mithril paint has yet to dry.

Most of us fail to see the humour when facet 4 of the BBQ assembly sheet (now fully unfurled and hiding from view a critical bag of spacer nuts) instructs you to “place with your seventh hand, inner tube G in alignment with outer A flange, while preparing to insert the frictionless locking pin from below—be careful to assure that the inner tube remains centered with outer flange B, as visible from the side of the work piece thoroughly obscured by the halfway-attached lid assembly through which you just ran that delicate sensor wire.” No doubt facet 5 devotes itself to “access and secure frictionless locking pin through vent hole L”. But you rub your hands together and chortle mwuhahaha as you dolly your brand new ACME gravity gun into position over the frictionless lock pin appurtenance. On the barrel of the gun there are three square buttons, each one with a private backlight and its own little lifting lid. The business end of the gun looks suspiciously like a Waterpik shower head, as manufactured in Eastern Germany sometime during the 1960s. There’s one ring that apparently controls undulation, and another ring that seems to control gravity-jet aperture. Hmmmm, what’s the right setting for suspending a frictionless pin, as you stroke your droopy snout cheeks.

In any case, inventing is hard work, and the inventor in the moment of it rarely sees the humour of things.

———

When I did get my sense of humour back, I was quickly transported to the Ringworld Home Hardware box store Of The Stars. There’s that moment where the clerk points up. If people haven’t visited Ringworld lately, the ring goes all the way around the star: the structure is not the size of the earth, but of the earth’s entire orbit. Everywhere on the ring, at all times, the sun is directly overhead, and 100 million odd miles away—depending on precisely what kind of star the Ringworld engineers pulled out of their trusty junk drawer. The circumference of the ring is 600 million miles, give or a take a legislative approximation to the value of pi. The arc of the ring that’s high above you in the sky (the furthest point of the ring is always directly behind the sun) is anywhere from 150 to 300 million miles away, as the crow flies. Now a space crow could take the laser-beam short cut, but even a space crow is reluctant to fly straight through the sun. GMT minus nine would map out a zone of the ring the size of a sign of the zodiac. The ring spins, so the reference frame can’t be something external, such as Galactic Axis Mean Time. G thus probably stands for Frictionless Pin (G), the very last pin added to the Ringworld structure by the original Ringworld engineers. What happened to the engineers—and the frictionless pin gravity gun employed in this difficult final step—is a subject of much speculation. All that’s left is a very large sheet of rumpled blueprint—each accordion facet the size of an entire shadow square—that is now floating off in the direction of the Boötes void—and a small meteor belt of unused space washers.

If the ring is rather narrow—say a million miles wide—then the surface are is 600,000 billion square miles. Even a merchandise item as obscure as a non-toxic (for what colour blood?) cadmium-coated bolo tie aiguillettes would be allocated at least their very own square mile.

The problem with such a long and skinny ring, is that when you’re at the wrong end of the box store, you’re really at the wrong end of the box store, six months at 30 km/s if you don’t get stuck behind any hip-bonded hubby hubby Louisiana shamoo arguing over the perfect marble and grain in a 100,000 square miles of prime short rib.

Careful not to lose your way. “You are here” is a single red pixel in a retina display the size of the West Edmonton Mall. (Before Bruce whips out his trusty COSMAC 1802 space calculator, my quick calculation gives me each pixel representing 10 square miles.)

———

I have to say I was pretty dim not to think up my new nickname sooner—some ideas are just so obvious once you have them.

“Oh, no, I’m so sorry, this isn’t purgatory, this is the warranty claims desk and we’ve been swamped—practically overrun—ever since that unfortunate incident with the defective blow gun. I think you’re looking for next door.” Points upward. “Now if you’ll just excuse me, the man behind you with the big head has been kept waiting for a long time—Zulu man somehow packed an amazing amount of Power Powder Power Dwindle into that small loin purse of his, and it appears you got the very last dose; good thing, too, because he was in no mood when I informed him that replacement blow guns are still on back-order from Delta quadrant, so it appears to have been a wily move on my part—wouldn’t you say?—to take such a looooooong lunch break.”

Woodguy:
    godot10,

4-93-14 75%OZS – Get your best players in the ozone. VAN starts Sedins 80%+
    57-26-10 75% OZS – Get Yak & Perron to the ozone as much as possible too
    67-51-16 – 35% OZS – They get every DZS that doesn’t have the other team’s best
    23-27-6 – 10% OZS – Every DZS against the other team’s best

I could live with this.

68. Ryan says:

Bling:
    I like Lander.

Not sure why a guy like him can’t get the Draisatl push right now.

That’s the fundamental problem with the Oilers… They continue to people/players with no established level of ability in vitally important roles. It hasn’t worked too well so far,

69. nycoil says:

A happy Sunday to you all.

A few comments from me.

1) Count me in the send Leon back group. I actually was in favour of sending him back after camp and before the regular season started, but a number of posters told me he’d leave for Europe if he wasn’t in the NHL. Has that been confirmed? I can’t see him not reporting if the Oilers ask him to go to junior. He seems like a team player. Also, is there any evidence at all that the Oilers are even considering sending him back? I would love to know if they are.

2) The forward lines in practice yesterday were exactly the ones I suggested in the post-Vancouver melee. Glad to see they are reading my input (kidding).

3) “Frank The Dog”,
    You asked me to elaborate further on my disagreement with your stance on Leon and Yakupov playing together. I’d made many comments to that effect with all kinds of reasons why in prior threads so I didn’t want to rehash all of them. LT has summed it up above. Yakupov has been visibly more committed to an all-around game this year. His ice time against Vancouver in game 1 was 9:50 including OT. Eberle’s was 20:50, with only 57 seconds of that PK time, so he had more than double Yakupov’s 5 v. 5 and 5 v. 4 minutes when Yak was the far more effective player. Eakins’ excuse was that the penalties were the reason for Yak’s playing time, but this is false based on the evidence. The real reason is because Leon Draisaitl is unable to handle 15 minutes a night at the NHL level at the moment. It is very clear he doesn’t have NHL quickness yet. He has flashes of brilliant vision, but that’s not enough. Because Eakins seems incapable of moving Yakupov effectively up the batting order on his own, instead tying him to his line (or just switching lines but then moving him back), Yakupov needs to be freed from Draisaitl. He needs to play with Arcobello or RNH and he needs to get 15 minutes a night. I think he has been deserving of more ice time than he has been given, but he has been held back by Draisaitl.

4) Woodguy,
    Thank you for calling out Dave Hodge with evidence. As an aside, so far I’d take Trouba over Murray, too, and that wasn’t even close to consensus. These things take time. But to suggest Yakupov wasn’t a consensus pick is false.

70. VanOil says:

Same time next year,

Oilers will be starting a Rookie at one of its C positions (a good one if it is Draisaitl) or a player in risk of a sophomore slump after a dreadful rookie campaign.

Oilers will be starting a very young D core with a Rookie (Nurse) and a rookie like Klefbom. With Marincin likely playing on his off side.

Oilers will have two over the hill or just not very good veteran defenders in Ference and Nitikin.

Oilers will have maybe one NHL goal tender (Scrivens) in the whole system.

Don’t worry by next September I will have forgotten all this and think the Oilers will make the playoffs, then October will happen.

71. TheOtherJohn says:

Agreed with sending Drsisatl out. Lander has not pissed a drop at NHL level- nada and with Gordon taking brutal zone starts Lander will be asked to center a third line. Oilers need some offense from that slot.

To the extent the argument is Eller and Lander are similar: we agree to disagree. Fact that Lander costs nothing is less important if he adds nothing.

Think your brother is overly optimistic re Canucks.expectations they are a 7th to 10th place team in WC. Not enough scoring depth to play with the big boys. Good goaltending, solid D and very good 1st line

72. russ99 says:

Woodguy:
    jb,

Because people who ignore them are usually wrong.

So far the Oilers are shooting 4.96% 5v5 which is 28th in the NHL.

If you think this will continue then you do not think they will improve.

The question is if they’ll do anything to change that or just assume that the inane cycle on the outside areas and puck possession alone will get them into better shooting areas.

IMO, it won’t improve unless something is changed. Every team in the league has video how to defend against the Oilers.

73. RexLibris says:

Rumour right now that TJ Brodie is close to an extension with the Flames: 5 years around $4.5 million.

#JustinSchultzForNorris

74. G Money says:

stevezie,

Ha, fair enough, it’s the old “a man with one watch knows the time, a man with two watches is never sure.”

On the business side, you can also delve into the realm of decision science (yes, there’s such a thing) that shows convincingly that decisions made with a reasonable amount of information are better than those made with a vast amount of information, because the increased time, effort, money, and opportunity cost to gather the additional information are not offset by the increased value of a ‘perfect’ decision.

It’s been a long time since I read Blink, but I recall at least part of the poorer outcomes for 3 vs 17 came from the extra time and money spent on diagnosing rather than treating.

Perhaps I can amend my statement to say ‘Please point me at a single human endeavour – anywhere – where all else being equal, those with no objective information make better decisions than those with objective information. Then I’ll at least cede that your point has merit.

‘Cause, really, that’s what both the Blink example and the hockey stats example are demonstrating (which is no doubt why you agree with the point even as you brought up a counterexample).

75. HiddenDarts says:

I say trade Schultz for Keith Yandle. They’re the same player anyway, and at least Yandle “pretends” to be a defenceman at times.

That Yandle contract probably looks like an immense value deal in comparison to what the Oilers will pay Schultz. Book it!

76. teddyturnbuckle says:

First of all nothing should happen until game 20. The Oilers may be at 500 by then and right where we expected them. I’m not impressed with Eakins and MacT this fall though, they are making rookie mistakes all over and now they need a shovel to get the egg of each others face. Draisaitl should go down and I’m not sure what to do with Yak.. I actually feel bad for Eakins because he doesn’t know what to do with the unmovable, worst defensive forward in the league Yakupov. The scary thing is that Yak has improved quite a bit but he is easily the worst player I’ve seen in years at making decisions in his own end. This guy is an AHL player right now because of his refusal to stop on the puck and make the right play getting the puck to safety.

77. nycoil says:

RexLibris:

If around that much, that’s another very good value contract.

HiddenDarts,

Why on Earth would the Coyotes do that? That’s not even close to Yandle’s value.

Lander isn’t going to hurt you. It means that Yakupov can be used as a weapon against weaker opposition because you don’t have to protect Draisaitl. The more the OIlers don’t self-implode in any game, you give Taylor Hall a chance to win the game for you (or Yakupov).

Nobody is arguing that Lander is a long term or even medium term solution. But he is the best short term option until the centres in OKC are ready, or there is a trade.

He has been a high level AHL player for two seasons now. With veteran NHL wingers, he can hold the fort for awhile until the cavalry arrives. Acton has never been a high level AHL player.

79. G Money says:

On another related #fancystats note, here we sit pointing out that the underlying stats for this team are nowhere near as bad as their record so far, suggesting that there is at least room for optimism.

It may not come to pass – the fancy stats may regress to the record rather than the other way round. But in the long run, the Corsi, especially 5×5 close, is usually the better indicator, so it is is a reason for optimism.

Naturally, the fancystats guys take heat for not understanding the game, because clearly all that matters is the record.

Meanwhile, not six months ago, the Oilers post-Scrivens record was flirting with .500. Presumably the ‘record is all that matters’ folks were rejoicing … while the fancystats underneath indicated it was all goaltending, and the actual level of play was a smoldering tire fire.

The big worry for us fancystat’ers then was the verbal coming from MacT and Eakins (“we’ve really gotten our act together these last few months”), when it was clear that the team was NOT better, not at all. Thankfully the verbal was just blowing smoke – imagine if MacT had really believed the record meant something and decided to stay pat?

Sometimes those complicated and scary numbers really are telling you something meaningful.

80. wheatnoil says:

Wow… there appears to be a “like” function. I love it!

81. prairieschooner says:

In this clip you will see one of LTs (and everyone else’s for that matter favorite ladies)
    Ignore Jeremy who is a complete plonker focus on the other stuff

Enjoy

Bet you can’t just watch it once

82. oliveoilers says:

Something weird has happened to the site. I’m scared…..

WeirsBeard: Bro, do you even watch the games?

Doughty placing 6th in Norris voting last year tells me everything I need to know about professional hockey commentary.

russ99: Raw numbers themselves aren’t enough. Watching the Vancouver game it’s pretty easy to see why they’re shooting at such a low percentage 5×5.

But its the same players for the most part and they added some better ones.

At the very least they’ll get close to last year.

I agree that the Oilers lack a net front presence and do not get as many rebound shots (the most dangerous shot in hockey) as most teams.

That needs to change, and has needed to change for years and years.

85. oliveoilers says:

prairieschooner:
    In this clip you will see one of LTs(and everyone else’s for that matter favorite ladies)
    Ignore Jeremy who is a complete plonker focus on the other stuff

Enjoy

Bet you can’t just watch it once

WoodGuy is Jeremy Clarkson! I always wondered why you never see them in the same room at the same time! (Actually WG did explain his avatar one day, it’s by a very good artist friend of his. Still, I grew up watching Top Gear, and it looks like Jeremy to me!)

Thanks to Thomas at GoDaddy we’re a go. May be some different things here and there, and some gone, but it’s back.

VanOil:
    Same time next year,

Oilers will have maybe one NHL goal tender (Scrivens) in the whole system.

Man.

Its like the record has been stuck in the same groove for 8 years.

Think I’ll go drink.

88. gogliano says:

Like function might have disappeared but if it comes back: A great feature is being able to sort posts by most liked. Some long, insightful comments in 1, 000 post threads get buried and it is a nice way to find them.

Just a thought. Blog is great already, of course, and grateful for the reads.

@G Money:

The thing is that Fenclose 45% is good enough to put a .500 record in Bettman point era.

90. Zelepukin says:

Chiming in on the two main points being discussed…

Yaks not only was the right choice at #1 but he has clearly been the most improved played so far this season. Creates opportunities every shift, noticeably quicker not only in sprint but at full speed and defensively he has been so much smarter. This leads me to the next point…

Drai needs to be sent down. He can protect the puck well and make smart plays in the offensive zone but his speed and defensive capabilities is too far behind the NHL level from my eye. This in turn will affect Yak’s production over the season.

91. VanOil says:

As the day has went on the warmer I have become to the idea of acquiring Elher. His addition would mean next year one of Draisaitl or Yakimov could be brought into the NHL as a winger. You know how grown up teams tend to do with there young Centers.

Of course it will all come down to price. I don’t expect the Oilers to win any trade, because of the last 8 years.

Lets see if this will work ~
    Edit: Nope a cheeky GIF img tag was rejected

92. "Frank The Dog" says:

Before I log in, there’s a reply button and a thumbs up that don’t work, and these disappear when I log in, no more quote button.

Any info would be appreciated!

@gogliano: The like function had to be purged because it was part of the problem. Never used it, but it be bad.

“Frank The Dog”:

Any info would be appreciated!

Quote button is back, anything else missing let me know

95. spoiler says:

Lowetide: Quote button is back, anything else missing let me know

Everything looks mostly normal, however there are two Reply functions.

96. VanOil says:

Listening to the D corps talk about how important chemistry is with there partners today on the Oilers site makes me want to scream at Eakins/MacT for there indecision in the preseason.

97. spoiler says:

Gone now. Well done.

98. Bruce McCurdy says:

godot10: 1) Question: Did Tyler Dellow rescue Martin Marincin from the minors? Dellow 1 MacT 0 on Marincin over Hunt. Eakins is a sycophant up the chain, and a bully down, so I blame MacT for Hunt (and Eakins fatal character flaws). Hypothesis: Dellow was able to collect enough data on Hunt in 4 games and compared it to Marincin’s data from training camp and last year, and Eakins got the cahones to push back against his boss.

I know! On every decision that we know absolutely nothing about how it went down, let’s assume that Dellow is responsible for the ones that we agree with and that MacT/Eakins are the culprits on the ones we don’t, and then keep score! I’m betting Dellow wins in a walk.

godot10:
    Lander is what he is.

Young and improving?

G Money: In medicine, those who use both in-person clinical diagnosis along with tests, measurements, and treatments backed by statistical analysis are called ‘doctors’. Those who do not use tests, measurements, and statistically validated treatments are called ‘quacks’

^^^This^^^

99. Bruce McCurdy says:

Woodguy:
    @G Money:

That seems about right. A .500 record is about 45% of awarded points. It is an uncompetitive record, regardless of how teams & the league try to sell it. The Bettman Point fiasco has rendered the old benchmarks utterly meaningless.

100. "Frank The Dog" says:

Lowetide: Quote button is back, anything else missing let me know

At the time I wrote that, there was a different format reply button with a mouse over comment that was unresponsive, and a like button that was greyed out, and both disappeared when I logged in on several different devices, but it’s all back to the usual now. Thanks!

101. nycoil says:

I actually don’t consider a 35-35-10 record .500 at all. I consider it 35-45 (.438). I know the NHL wants to market it as .500 but we know better. What the Bettman era has produced is less drama at the end of the year. With all the 3pt games out there and loser points handed out, it’s almost impossible to make up a 5 point gap with 5 games left. It’s a blight on the game. I hope they fix it some day.

102. Bruce McCurdy says:

Re Yakupov in 2012:

David Staples ran a poll on that before the 2010 draft, got over 5,000 (!) responses with Yakupov taking 85% of the vote.

103. Ryan says:

I would have thought that it was Danica Patrick that got the site back up. Thank Gord the like button is gone…. That would have put way too much pressure on me to write something people would actually like …

The Oilers are 18th in fen close, 15th in Corsi close, 27th in pdo. Let’s all hope the tide follows the math.

104. Klima's_Bucket says:

Good news for tomorrow is Hedman is out.
    The bad news is Drouin was just called up…
    Here’s hoping the defence doesn’t crumble…

105. "Frank The Dog" says:

I really like the refresh rate on this site now. Used to be up to 20 minutes would elapse after I posted a comment, now the new comments appear as I post or refresh.

You’ve re-hosted with go daddy, right?

106. VanOil says:

Klima’s_Bucket:
    Good news for tomorrow is Hedman is out.
    The bad news is Drouin was just called up…
    Here’s hoping the defence doesn’t crumble…

Watching Drouin’s first NHL game will be a treat.

107. Adam Wu says:

I doubt that Dellow had any significant impact on the decision to bring Marincin back. The evidence from how Marincin was used last season strongly suggests that Eakins knows Marincin’s value. As such, I suspect that the plan was always to bring Marincin back within 5-10 games.

The D deployment for the first 5 games was some crazy experiment management talked themselves into that blew up in their faces.

“Frank The Dog”:

You’ve re-hosted with go daddy, right?

Really? My comments have always immediately appeared after I’ve posted them.

Klima’s_Bucket:
    Good news for tomorrow is Hedman is out.
    The bad news is Drouin was just called up…
    Here’s hoping the defence doesn’t crumble…

Rookies don’t scare me.

Stamkos.

He scares me.

110. "Frank The Dog" says:

Woodguy: Really?My comments have always immediately appeared after I’ve posted them.

Maybe LT’s been trying to tell me something…….. 🙂

Edit: My comment always appeared, but subsequent refreshes would not reveal subsequent comments for up to 20 minutes back then, the subsequent comments now appear almost immediately.

nycoil:
    I actually don’t considera 35-35-10 record .500 at all. I consider it 35-45 (.438). I know the NHL wants to market it as .500 but we know better. What the Bettman era has produced is less drama at the end of the year. With all the 3pt games out there and loser points handed out, it’s almost impossible to make up a 5 point gap with 5 games left. It’s a blight on the game. I hope they fix it some day.

The NHL would argue that they’ve created more drama.

Fans have no idea that a 5pt lead is like an 8 point lead in the old days.

Fans see their team is still “close” to making the playoffs and stay engaged until the end of the season.

At least in markets that get within 10 pts of the playoffs.

I wouldn’t know that feeling for 8 years.

112. delooper says:

There’s a funny moment in the Justin Schultz interview today where he says something like “I think anyone is comfortable playing with anyone else on this team. I’m comfortable playing with anyone….” but he doesn’t quite say that he believes anyone would be comfortable playing with him. His eyes get shifty around that moment.

113. nycoil says:

Woodguy,

The NHL may have successfully fooled people into thinking there is more drama, but I believe I read a study somewhere that shows there’s been less late season overtaking in the Bettman point era than before, but I can’t seem to find it.

VanOil: Watching Drouin’s first NHL game will be a treat.

Agreed.

Wonder who he plays with.

Last game TBY ran

ONDREJ PALAT STEVEN STAMKOS RYAN CALLAHAN
    NIKITA KUCHEROV VLADISLAV NAMESTNIKOV JT BROWN
    VALTTERI FILPPULA TYLER JOHNSON ALEX KILLORN
    BRENDEN MORROW BRIAN BOYLE BRETT CONNOLLY

The line getting the easiest ZS (100%) was Namestnikov’s line so he may start there to ease him in.

The coach might also put him on Stamkos’ line because they are playing the Oilers and really, what harm will it do against them?

I hope they do as it will lessen Stamkos’ effectiveness.

nycoil:
    Woodguy,

You’re right, it is tougher to get in the playoffs.

I know that, you know that. Most serious hockey fans know that.

For the casual fan who may or may not buy tickets depending on the meaningfulness of the games (among other things) it doesn’t register.

That’s who they are trying to get.

They already have us.

116. Ryan says:

Ryan: I would have thought that it was Danica Patrick that got the site back up.Thank Gord the like button is gone….That would have put way too much pressure on me to write something people would actually like …

The Oilers are 18th in fen close, 15th in Corsi close, 27th in pdo.Let’s all hope the tide follows the math.

Sorry, that was 27th in PDO close. We’re actually last in PDO 5v5 and all situations.

117. nycoil says:

Woodguy,

By the way, in case my comments got lost after the down time, thank you for engaging Dave Hodge on that other matter.

118. sliderule says:

Leon will probably pick up a few points and calm us all down.

I wasn’t for this pick but his play has brought me on side.

He has shown great hands and vision..

In junior he was able to muscle players and protect the puck.He has found that much harder to do at NHL level.
    What would sending him back to junior do to help him overcome this .Nothing.He would just keep pushing and protecting the puck with his body.
    If cap is the issue send him back.
    If developing a third overall pick so that he can contribute next year keep him up.

119. limit says:

On Eller, I’ve seen him a few games live last couple of year and I was impressed at his development from prospect to NHL player, however I haven’t seen him this year so can’t comment on his current form. Eller is big, rangy, with good speed, uses his body well to shield/carry the puck from d-zone to o-zone, reminding me of Eric Staal-lite minus the top end skill. He is not physical and shot does not impress, but just all-around decent. Played well last playoffs. Perron for Eller would be fair.

120. Lois Lowe says:

nycoil,

Ditto. Did he block you, WG? Those MSM types don’t suffer people who bring ‘facts’ to their attention lightly.

121. G Money says:

Woodguy:

But the Bettman point wasn’t introduced mid-season last year!

With Scrivens, the Oilers were 9-11-1. A bit of arithmetic suggests that without Scrivens they were 20-33-8.

Bettman points or no, the Oilers record was a whole lot better, with no meaningful improvement in quality of play.

Which is what made the “we’re way better now” verbiage so worrying.

122. "Frank The Dog" says:

delooper:
    There’s a funny moment in the Justin Schultz interview today where he says something like “I think anyone is comfortable playing with anyone else on this team.I’m comfortable playing with anyone….” but he doesn’t quite say that he believes anyone would be comfortable playing with him.His eyes get shifty around that moment.

I think he was wishing the reporter would stop asking him stupid questions so he could go off and do something productive.

Lois Lowe:
    nycoil,

Nope.

Like another poster said, he probably doesn’t even check his mentions.

G Money: But the Bettman point wasn’t introduced mid-season last year!

With Scrivens, the Oilers were 9-11-1.A bit of arithmetic suggests that without Scrivens they were 20-33-8.

Which is what made the “we’re way better now” verbiage so worrying.

1) their awful record with ok corsi was due to. 850 goaltending

2) their meh record with meh corsi and decent goaltending was what was to be expected

3) their corsi is much better so far so if the goaltending comes up to standard I expect a much better than. 500 record going forward

125. spoiler says:

Woodguy: Nope.

Like another poster said, he probably doesn’t even check his mentions.

Still, that was excellent twittering. Kudos!

126. G Money says:

Woodguy,

Yep, those are exactly the points I was trying to make!

Last season early: OK Corsi, terrible goalkeeping, terrible record

Last season late: Bad Corsi (it got quite a bit worse after Dec 5th), great goalkeeping, OK record

This season: Decent Corsi, terrible goalkeeping, terriblest record

Expect regression.

Hope that the regression is record -> Corsi and not Corsi -> record.

127. striker says:

Lowetide: Many in the media are adopting advanced numbers and can talk about them, but they don’t believe them.

Agree somewhat. I think media members can talk about them as you say but not in any way that touches beyond the surface. The increasing mentions of advanced stats in the MSM betrays a rudimentary understanding of them. Often the MSM commentator makes a passing mention of Corsi without any of the requisite context required to properly frame how we can understand what that one measure may point to.

128. striker says:

WeirsBeard: Is Friedman the only one that stays up past ten o’clock to do his job?

BTW I think Mirtle might stay up past 10 too.

129. WeirsBeard says:

striker: I hated seeing Friedman’s perfectly reasonable points being shouted down by the rest of the meatheads at those CBC HNIC intermissions.

BTW I think Mirtle might stay up past 10 too.

Yah ha, no doubt. Mirtle, LT and CiO were my intro to corsi and the Oilogosphere.

130. PerryK says:

dwillms:

Any other possibilities you can come up with besides Brodziak?

Yes. I think that Williams is an adequate Center as well. He may have dropped a step due to age, but I clearly recollect him playing at a reasonable level as the 3rd C in Detroit.

He would cost us nothing. Personally, I would prefer 1 year of Brodziak if the rumours of his availability are with any foundation at all. 3rd or 4th rounder should get it done.

131. malinpaul says:

The thing about a trade for a #2C is we’ll need a #3/4 C down the road, once Leon grows up. We can make a big move here.

132. gcw_rocks says:

Woodguy:
    godot10,

3) Agree 100%

4) 4) On D. I’m thinking.
    Klefbom, Fayne (kill them with D-zone starts)
    Marincin, Petry (balanced starts)
    Nikitin, Schultz (o-zone starts)
    Ference.

I think Marincin is better than Klef today today so I swap them

Marincin generated more shots on net than any other Oiler during preseason. Klefbom is never going to do that. The Oilers can’t afford to bury Marincin’s offence with Fayne. Klefbom is the current best bet for a partner for Fayne when you look at the bigger picture, I think.