THE WONDERFUL KID FROM NIZHNEKAMSK

yakupov23Plenty of talk on the Al Gore about trades but I can’t see Craig MacTavish moving a big piece for a short term solution. This assumes the Oilers still see Nuge—Draisaitl as the future up the middle, if that’s the case there’s zero reason to trade for Brayden Schenn at this time. Schenn isn’t good enough to play ahead of Claude Giroux and Sean Couturier in Philly, and he won’t be good enough to play in front of Nuge-Leon in a year or two. Why trade something of value for him if you’re looking for a short-term solution?

I don’t think MacTavish makes that move. Here’s another one I don’t think he’ll do:

renaud lavoie yak

Even if the Oilers believe (and I think they do) their future is Hall, Nuge, Eberle, Schultz then Yakupov remains on the outside looking in. However, coach Eakins has the kid going in the right direction and there’s every chance he’ll both improve his trade value and become too valuable to deal as this season rolls along. The Oilers under Craig MacTavish have shown a willingness eagerness to spend draft picks on Russians (Tkachev aside) and this could be a strong pipeline between Minsk, Moscow and Edmonton. Yakupov is wildly famous in Russia, and if the club can get him signed (that’s a concern) to a reasonable deal then I think MacT probably bets on the kid long term.

kadri

One player I would love to see in an Oilers uniform is Nazem Kadri. The Leafs have never embraced him for some reason (based on what we know) and he’s still a kid but reaching the point where the lessons of youth should help him battle in the NHL. The Leafs are a little nuts but that window is closing (Dubas and his Math People will destory my 60s and 70s with Toronto Stanleys—I plan to collect Churchill stamps) so Kadri might be the last train to Clarksville in terms of Toronto theft.

NHL: Edmonton Oilers at Minnesota WildBack to Nail. Isn’t it a pleasure to see him improving on the ice and getting some results? I know everyone is mad about Eakins playing him limited minutes, but those minutes have been sublime and the young man’s confidence is growing. If this small steps development works, and Yakupov finally receives entry into the executive washroom of the Oilers roster, what a DAY that will be! Go Yak Go!

OILERS 5X5 SCORING (PTS/60), 2014-15

9. David Perron 0.79
  10. Teddy Purcell 0.79
  11. Mark Fayne 0.73
  12. Mark Arcobello  0.71
  13. Nikita Nikitn 0.60
  14. Justin Schultz 0.64

Dallas Eakins needs to trust Nail Yakupov more, but the early-season results are impressive. If it’s a slow build, let it be. Perhaps a breakout game against a more famous Russian is in our future.

112 Responses to "THE WONDERFUL KID FROM NIZHNEKAMSK"

1. nycoil says:

Amen to that.
    I also found the bottom of your 5×5/60 list interesting.

2. Yeti says:

I’m not overly worried about Yakupov’s minutes. Bring him along slowly now – not too much too fast – and he’ll be rocking by the midway point of the season. Just keep building the confidence he’s getting at both ends of the rink.

3. nycoil says:

LT- another subject matter, but MPS has only played one game for the Blues this year. Some chatter he could be had for a mid-round pick. What do you think of bringing him back for that price, then dealing from a position of strength (surplus top 9 wingers) to try to cobble together a centre?

I’m not in the trade Perron camp, and it is dubious how much value Purcell has, but Paajarvi has youth, size, speed, even if he never could put the offense together. Nice to have some backup in case something does go down.

If, for example, Perron goes for Anisimov, as Woodguy has suggested:
    Hall-RNH-Eberle
    Pouliot-Anisimov-Yakupov
    MPS-Arcobello-Purcell
    Hendricks-Gordon-Joensuu

4. ACalgaryOilFan says:

I know everyone is mad about Eakins playing him limited minutes

Hey LT, Very infrequent poster but love your stuff. Just a note on Yak ice time. I think people are not thinking about this the right way, its not about Yak or Dr Dre. Its about Purcell and Perron. Seems like Eakins prefers to use them more, so when Arco with them, he plays them and when Drai is with them he plays them. Not sure why he doesn’t have the same love for Poo and Yak.

Just my 2 cents

NYCOIL: I’d love to see Paajarvi back here. NO idea how the Oilers feel about it, but often EDM revisits after a decade or so.

6. Pouzar says:

Sample size alert.

I kid…I kid.

Repost from last thread.

Friedman

“I had a couple of guys tell me the Oilers are making fewer calls about trades than you would think. They aren’t looking for a goalie. They feel this Fasth injury is not too long-term. Maybe a week or two. If they can get through that. I thought maybe they might take a run at Ilya Bryzgalov. I heard they’re not going to do that, since he was there already. I’ve just been told they are trying to weather the storm.”

“I think the only obvious move that you’re seeing there is at some point, Jeff Petry is going to be traded.”

7. Truth says:

Physical stature aside, Yak reminds me a lot of Dustin Penner. Shows up for a stretch of games like he finally gets it and is the player we’ve been waiting for, and then will disappear for a stretch and everyone starts questioning his abilities as a player. There is no doubt a human element to everything, including hockey, and by all accounts Yak works his tail off in practice and outside of the rink in the off-season. I hope that his recent increased effort level is here to stay. The kid is a force when he wants to be.

ACalgaryOilFan:
    I know everyone is mad about Eakins playing him limited minutes

Just my 2 cents

Yeah, I think most NHL coaches prefer the veteran. Eakins verbal has been very complimentary, I think they’re fine (Eakins, Yak).

9. limit says:

Schenn has great pedigree, has put up points everywhere (WHL, WJHC, AHL, NHL 0.5ppg last year), can be #2C behind Nuge to bump Leon to 3C and Gordon/Yak2 to 4C long-term, like how LA is 4 deep (Kopitar, Carter, Stoll, Richards) or you can move Cs to wing like SJ if needed (Thornton, Marleau, Couture, Pavelski, Hertl). There’s always injuries too. Would Perron + 2nd be enough?

10. Doug McLachlan says:

LT,

You can’t just toss a name out there and then let it sit. Assuming that the Leafs are prepared to deal Kadri, who do the Oil need to toss back?

Doug McLachlan:
    LT,

No idea. It makes no sense to trade Kadri, so by definition it’s madness.

limit:
    Schenn has great pedigree, has put up points everywhere (WHL, WJHC, AHL, NHL 0.5ppg last year), can be #2C behind Nuge to bump Leon to 3C and Gordon/Yak2 to 4C long-term, like how LA is 4 deep (Kopitar, Carter, Stoll, Richards) or you can move Cs to wing like SJ if needed (Thornton, Marleau, Couture, Pavelski, Hertl). There’s always injuries too.Would Perron + 2nd be enough?

For Schenn? I wouldn’t do that deal.

13. Racki says:

Schenn is currently playing LW in Philly on a line with Bellemare and Simmonds. I don’t think there’s anything wrong at all with a guy who can’t quite get ahead of Couturier, let alone Giroux. I’ve been watching a few games of the Flyers this year (for the sake of understanding what the Schenns bring) and I’ll say Couturier is a heck of a defensive centreman. I kind of see him as Bergeron-esque, or at least that seems to be the type of player he’ll be like… but the offense doesn’t seem to be anywhere near that level yet (which should come as no surprise, given his age). But that seems to be his top end / path.

Anyways, I don’t really have a conclusion on Brayden Schenn yet. Want to keep watching Flyers games for a while (thank you Rogers for giving your cell/tv customers free Gamecenter for a while!) so I can get a better opinion of him. Right now I’d say the one red flag is he’s not even 3rd line C right now, he’s 3rd line LW, but will say that it’s no surprise he’s not ahead of Couturier and Giroux, as these guys are quite good (even though I haven’t quite seen Couturier be all that creative offensively yet).

14. OilClog says:

Trading a veteran winger for a two year C stop gap makes a lot more sense then training a winger under 25 for one. I could handle Perron, Purcell, or Pouliot lighting up the Oil. But Yak or Ebs.. Arg

15. Melman says:

While it’s clear the future is Nuge-LD as 1-2 down the road. LD isn’t there yet AND it would be foolish to rely on him next year – he will still be a rookie (assuming he gets sent back) and if next year is indeed to be a playoff season, then pegging a 19 yr. old rook for your 2C slot is bad mojo. Point being they need to bring in a C that can run in the 2 slot for at least 2 seasons. That gives LD a season with training wheels where he can spot on the wing if needed.

16. "Frank The Dog" says:

Truth:
    Physical stature aside, Yak reminds me a lot of Dustin Penner.Shows up for a stretch of games like he finally gets it and is the player we’ve been waiting for, and then will disappear for a stretch and everyone starts questioning his abilities as a player.There is no doubt a human element to everything, including hockey, and by all accounts Yak works his tail off in practice and outside of the rink in the off-season.I hope that his recent increased effort level is here to stay.The kid is a force when he wants to be.

I have only seen this brilliance from Yak since he started paying with Drai, prior to that this year I have just seen great effort but the level of skill that must be interesting the other GM’s. Trading Yak would be a lot worse than sitting MM and Petry as far as I am concerned. Go Yak City!

I don’t think Yak has a single element of his commitment or work ethic in common with Penner. Not one.

17. hunter1909 says:

Yakupov/Eberle/Hall/RNH/Schultz/Leon/Nurse are 100% untouchable components of some imaginary future championship core. Or else everything’s up for grabs, anyone can go according to the whim of the GM, and Dallas Freaking Eakins(DFE) is coaching this .250 NHL laughingstock – until the next retarded move by the fools in the drugstore.

You would think that after the first regular season win since last season, we’d all be allowed to relax before the next game. Instead, rumors of trading away the family heirlooms for gambling debts.

18. Dicky94 says:

All we need is a reliable veteran third line center who can win face offs and kill penalties. Arco I believe is perfectly fine in the #2 slot for this year. No to Schenn.

19. russ99 says:

I’m not a huge fan of Kadri, but I see his value. For right or wrong if we trade for him now, all it will look like is another of the Marlies coming to play under Eakins.

I’ve never been a fan of the long rumored Philly deal, knowing how we could easily get fleeced.
    We’re not getting Couturier and why help the Flyers with the cap on Coburn.

If we’re moving a quality piece like Eberle, I’d prefer to see a deal with either Buffalo or Florida for one of their top 2 defensemen and a decent center.

20. nycoil says:

Love the way the Islanders are playing tonight.

21. hunter1909 says:

“Frank The Dog”: What I see, is a virtuoso hockey player that needs a specific C type to unlock his potential. Drai has that potential, they both appear to think the game in a similar, unconventional way. Disconnect Drai from Yak and all you see is a humdrum, frustrated player trying to fit. Put them on a line, give them some time, and you will see a combo that challenges the Nuge/Hall combo.

This.

The part about the NHL knowing how good Yaks is, combined with alcoholic style decision making from management, is too painful to comment on.

22. "Frank The Dog" says:

hunter1909:
    Yakupov/Eberle/Hall/RNH/Schultz/Leon/Nurse are 100% untouchable components of some imaginary future championship core. Or else everything’s up for grabs, anyone can go according to the whim of the GM, and Dallas Freaking Eakins(DFE) is coaching this .250 NHL laughingstock until the next retarded move by the fools in the drugstore.

The so-called drugstore fool is one of the richest men in North America. He’s anything but stupid!
    I think the Oil has been a laughingstock right up to sitting Petry and MM in favour of Hunt.

But if you’ve watched all the games this team has played, there is mounting evidence of players like Yak coming into form, and confidence building across the team. My jury is still out on Eakins, we may still see a colossal collapse, but it’s starting to look like we may have some pretty good hockey coming up this year.

I also think we need to calm down about the trades. MacT has shown pretty good sense in his trades so far, he’s not going to sell the farm like his predecessors, and there is only a pre-defined level of overpay he seems prepared to enter into. He’s also showing quite a bit of intestinal fortitude as Drai works his way through his 9 game tryout, and if Drai and Yak go supernova as I think they might, this could be an exciting season.

23. oliveoilers says:

hunter1909: This.

I have only seen this brilliance from Yak since he started paying with Drai, prior to that this year I have just seen great effort but the level of skill that must be interesting the other GM’s. Trading Yak would be a lot worse than sitting MM and Petry as far as I am concerned.Go Yak City!

24. haters says:

Anyone else notice Fayne looks like MPS’s older brother ?

25. anonymous says:

Hope you’re right LT. I’d like to see them all stay. It will be a big tell if they trade Yak at a perceived low value. Hopefully Yak and Larionov aren’t sour and a contract can be reached. Would be hard to blame them for wanting similar contracts as Hall and Nuge. Not really his fault that he wasn’t put into first line minutes and awarded extensions as soon as eligible. On paper the team was thinner even though the standings show differently.

26. Bos8 says:

I think the thing is that Yak has only two options – Great or bust. His on ice thinking is totally off the wall which creates the seeds of greatness. A lot of quick twitch, physically and mentally. Drei seems to be on the same page and until Yak establishes himself he needs the support. Yak is starting to impose himself on the game – He has the ability to do that and it’s very close at this point. In the near future the Oilers need line nuclei which would be Hall/Nuge and Drei/Yak. If successful with that young D pipline this team is shaping up as a Cup challenger. A lot rides on that second pairing – a playoff team or an elite flight.

27. flyfish1168 says:

The optics from mouth and action are all wrong with eakins. He states Yak draws the short end of the stick, due to PK and 2nd PP unit. But then with minutes left in the game where is Yak, on the bench, and Perron or someone else in his position. Well Dallas it’s not rocket science you changed the lineup and don’t trust the kid. Not because you can’t put him out there. I hope Yak doesn’t loose his trust with eakins, if this happens the kids is gone.

28. Dr. Taboggan says:

Hey this is really off topic but whatever happened to Rom?

29. icecastles says:

this could be a strong pipeline between Minsk, Moscow and Edmonton

I’m probably missing an obvious reference, but Minsk is in Belarus, not Russia.

30. Gret99zky says:

And just when we least expect it,

The very moment we let our guard down,

Out of nowhere comes…

Three for One!

31. icecastles says:

Dr. Taboggan: Hey this is really off topic but whatever happened to Rom?

Draisitl drafted; his work here is done.

32. Dr. Taboggan says:

icecastles,

Ha! Makes perfect sense.

33. Bos8 says:

Picky details – go with the flow, it’s called scansion. Like what trips off the tongue with Nizhnekamsk.

The kid’s from the low end of the Kama river or the bogs by iteration.

34. Pouzar says:

Do you guys see that?

That’s smoke comin out of Patrick Roy’s ears.

35. anonymous says:

Gret99zky:
    And just when we least expect it,

The very moment we let our guard down,

Out of nowhere comes…

Three for One!

Kind of like when LT stopped trading Smid.

36. ᴏ̶ɪ̶ʟ̶ғ̶ɪ̶ʀ̶ᴇ̶TireFire says:

Dr. Taboggan,

Mantis, is that you buddy?

37. hunter1909 says:

oliveoilers: But isn’t the point of developing these players is so that they can move up and down the roster as needed and the situation dictates and not be exposed? If you can only play two players with each other because they’re fricken atrocious away from each other, that severely handicaps a team’s tactical flexibility. You can’t brake up 11% of your skaters? Even the Sedins do well away from each other, even though they have tremendous synergy together. No, these kids have to learn ALL aspects of the game, including playing with different style players, injuries forbid!

Sure.

I was waffling on about not trading Yaks. Trading Yaks would be catastrophic. Once upon a time they had a 5x cup winner/captain – they traded him for a pumped up, offense only flop named Bernie Nicholls. Fast forward 20+ years of futility and here we are.

Yakupov had a shift during the last game where he literally shocked me. He was all over the ice in every zone, running play like a freaking general.

38. TeeVee says:

30 minutes in and Dallas is pounding Vancouver 6-1.

39. Bos8 says:

hunter1909: Sure.

Yep

My favorite was a kid coming up ice along the boards. Yak came through him for the puck, left the kid stapled to the boards and wheeled stage left.

Pardonez moi, comin through.

My three-for-one radar went crazy awhile ago, knew something was up.

41. One-Timer says:

Gretzky has Belarussian heritage, so maybe there’s that…?

42. []JUST[]KEEP[]CALM[]AND[]CORSI[]ON[] says:

TeeVee: 30 minutes in and Dallas is pounding Vancouver 6-1.

I laugh, and then I cry…

43. thepeetso says:

Gord help me if they trade Yak. I think Yak and Drai dominate someday. Maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow . . . but maybe tomorrow.

The idea of Hall, Yak and Nurse on a team all in their prime will be electrifying.

All them wild colts just itching to go, always chomping at the bit. It will take some rein work (like it did with Hall) for sure but man someday that is going to be something else to witness.

44. pocession charge says:

Pouzar:
    Do you guys see that?

That’s smoke comin out of Patrick Roy’s ears.

How can you see the smoke with his Stanley Cup rings plugging his ears?

45. RexLibris says:

From the previous post, I wanted to add something in response:

The gamergate thing is insane. My son came downstairs maybe a year ago and told me he didn’t want to get into that industry anymore. I asked him why, and he told me the story of gamergate and the harassment that takes place. We had a long chat about it and I was shocked at the level of hatred towards women.

Something wrong with people who can build up that kind of hatred for anyone based on their gender.

There are two things that come to mind here, LT.

First, you should be proud of your son that he found this situation so disturbing and offensive. Sounds like you raised him right.

Second, you could say to him that he could stay in the industry and try to change it from within. In effect, to be the change that he wants to see in the world.

Not my place to tell him what he should or shouldn’t do, or offer parenting advice, just two things that I wanted to pass along in regards to your point.

46. VOR says:

Hunter, I think the interesting thing is how Messier came to be traded for Nicholls. The Oilers were not very anxious to sign their third line center and Messier famously said that if the Oilers didn’t want to sign good young players he didn’t want to stay. So by not re-signing Adam Graves, and apparently they were only $5,000 apart, the Oilers ended up pissing off their Captain and best player and lost him as well. Stupid and Oilers have had a long and stormy relationship.

47. Chris says:

Lowetide’s three for one predictions are kind of like how the World Weekly News used to predict the end of the world every year. One of these years it has to be right.

48. Zangetsu says:

Dr. Taboggan,

He was on LT a couple times, became a big shot, and his life spun out of control. Men wanted to be him, women wanted to be with him. He had it all. Then he fell into a life of drugs, crime and women. At one point I swear he was more heroin than man. His wife left him, and now he is trying to pick up the pieces of his shattered life. A tragic story really.

Actually a good question though. I liked Rom.

RexLibris:

From the previous post, I wanted to add something in response:

There are two things that come to mind here, LT.

Yeah, I think that was my reaction, too. Don’t give up your dream, make it better. We’ll see how things go.

50. RexLibris says:

Anyone have a theory as to why War on Ice will show in-game stats on firefox on a PC but not on a Mac?

I’m getting the itches and needing my fix here!

51. Yeti says:

Didn’t you guys figure out yet that Rom is Toby Petersen?

52. RexLibris says:

On another note, a friend of mine has been beating the Bjudgstad trade drum for a few days (he really wants Campbell, but I don’t think that happens).

I’d rather chase Brodziak for a season and then maybe flip him at the deadline for some more picks, giving Yakimov the remainder of the season.

53. []JUST[]KEEP[]CALM[]AND[]CORSI[]ON[] says:

RexLibris,

Chrome rules!

54. RexLibris says:

Yeti:
    Didn’t you guys figure out yet that Rom is Toby Petersen?

I thought he looked like Sakic. Just hope he doesn’t risk his blogging career fixing snowblowers.

55. RexLibris says:

Gaudreau just split 4 Lightning defenders (PK) and threw the puck wide to Wideman for the first goal of the game. Left the bench immediately after with a “lower-body injury” after crashing into the boards.

Batten down the hatches for more “JOHNNY HOCKEY” hoopla.

56. One-Timer says:

There’s been a bit of noise in the threads today about trading the 2015 1st for something substantial.

I beat on that drum for a while this summer, but to no avail. The party line here is to keep that powder dry.

It’s impossible to have too many young quality assets in the pipeline, I’ll grant that. But there’s also the gaping hole LT has been railing about. It’s a big drop in offensive output from Nuge to anything else right now, and that won’t change very soon.

That said, I’ve been very happy with Arcobello this season. He’s playing like a vet, but with 48 NHL games under his belt, he’s still basically a rookie. In other words, I think we will see him improve a lot over the course of the season.

He might just be the solution for C until Draisaitl really comes on line. Or maybe Yak2. Either way, it looks to me like MacT has decided to use an in-house approach to dealing with the Dry Gap.

57. RexLibris says:

[]JUST[]KEEP[]CALM[]AND[]CORSI[]ON[]:
    RexLibris,

Chrome rules!

Yeah, yeah. 🙂

58. RexLibris says:

One-Timer:

I beat on that drum for a while this summer, but to no avail.The party line here is to keep that powder dry.

It’s impossible to have too many young quality assets in the pipeline, I’ll grant that.But there’s also the gaping hole LT has been railing about.It’s a big drop in offensive output from Nuge to anything else right now, and that won’t change very soon.

That said, I’ve been very happy with Arcobello this season.He’s playing like a vet, but with 48 NHL games under his belt, he’s still basically a rookie.In other words, I think we will see him improve a lot over the course of the season.

He might just be the solution for C until Draisaitl really comes on line.Or maybe Yak2.Either way, it looks to me like MacT has decided to use an in-house approach to dealing with the Dry Gap.

Trading a 1st is for teams that have a very realistic expectation of being in the playoffs, and hence out of the draft lottery.

If the Penguins traded a 1st rounder today for a top-six winger it wouldn’t be as risky as the Oilers doing the same for a 2C.

That being said, if the Oilers end up picking 5th overall and still need a 2C in June, then you trade the pick because it has maximized its value.

59. B S says:

RexLibris:

From the previous post, I wanted to add something in response:

There are two things that come to mind here, LT.

Reminds me of when my roommate first started classes. “there are no girls!” He’s a chinese engineering student. I asked him what he expected and told me that in China there are lots of female engineers. He couldn’t understand why it would be different in North America. I told him a lot of undergraduate engineering students have trouble treating women as people (in a vast generalization, and I personally know many counter-examples) and so a lot of women have trouble getting help studying or working on projects their first couple years, so that many of them tend to transfer into other fields (I know of a few close friends who have ended up doing this).

Makes me wonder why it’s so difficult for North Americans to decouple gender and occupation.

60. nycoil says:

Ejblad looks like a stud. First game I’ve watched of his in the NHL.

The coach can say all he wants but you truly know how he feels by looking at TOI

“penalties kept Yak off the ice”

“I liked the way the other line was going”

Bullshit really.

Yak was going and causing goals.

That’s why other teams are calling.

They see this kid starting to show why he was #1, creating goals when he’s on the ice and he’s getting 4th line minutes.

They are trying like hell to buy low and this great, exuberant talent.

I would too.

I do think that Yak and Eakins are “ok” with each other.

I just see Eakins play Purcell more than Yak and that’s just not right.

Purcell has been a pleasant surprise. Like Gilbert in MIN, he was a buyout candidate because they could replace him cheap and spend the savings where they needed it more. Doesn’t make him a bad player.

But I still see Yak out there creating in the 1st yesterday and getting all of 2 minutes.

Once he feels more secure, you gotta get this kid playing.

Lots of points, shitty corsi, shitty TOI and just a pure joy to watch.

62. nycoil says:

Nice, Tampa. Congrats to Drouin. Now snuff those Flames out.

63. RexLibris says:

nycoil:
    Nice, Tampa. Congrats to Drouin. Now snuff those Flames out.

Filppula scored off a Garrison shot. Wait, you meant his assist. My bad.

64. nycoil says:

Woodguy,

vs. Canuck game 1: excuse = penalties, yet Eberle gets 2x Yak’s EV/TOI despite playing poorly all game.

later on = I didn’t want to break up the lines so kept that unit together and they didn’t get the ice time.

last night = he isn’t doing anything wrong. First period gets an assist, plays 2 minutes. Second period plays 6 minutes, does well defensively. 3rd period plays 2 minutes. But his off-wing line mate Pouliot plays double his time in the 3rd. Draisaitl, looking fairly shaky all night and losing his man on the Connoly tying goal gets 14mins.

Dellow, Eakins and Ramsay need to work on fixing this. I don’t think there is a problem between Yak and Eakins, either, but this is their next task to figure out ASAP.

65. nycoil says:

RexLibris,

Yes, first of many NHL points.

66. RexLibris says:

Hmm, Leah Hextall, Carly Agro, Jackie Redmond…

I’m noticing a trend amongst sports desk hosts.

Gone are the days of Ron MacLean.

67. flyfish1168 says:

Woodguy:

“penalties kept Yak off the ice”

“I liked the way the other line was going”

Bullshit really.

Yak was going and causing goals.

That’s why other teams are calling.

They are trying like hell to buy low and this great, exuberant talent.

I would too.

I do think that Yak and Eakins are “ok” with each other.

I just see Eakins play Purcell more than Yak and that’s just not right.

Purcell has been a pleasant surprise.Like Gilbert in MIN, he was a buyout candidate because they could replace him cheap and spend the savings where they needed it more.Doesn’t make him a bad player.

Maybe Eakins felt like he was coaching for his job and needed someone he could trust.No shame in that.

Once he feels more secure, you gotta get this kid playing.

Lots of points, shitty corsi, shitty TOI and just a pure joy to watch.

On one sequence of play in the 2nd period Schultz tried to shot puck in deep but fails. Yak comes on as the puck was coming back into the d-zone for 2 shots against. Was that really Yaks fault? Sometimes these advance stats is frustrating and to see Schultz do something like that on a simple play is even more frustrating.

68. RexLibris says:

nycoil:
    RexLibris,

Yes, first of many NHL points…against the Flames.

You missed that last bit.

69. Pouzar says:

Yak’s minutes will go up in a big way very soon if he keeps doin what he’s doin.
    He’s a different lookin cat out there this year. Dallas was shell shocked and lookin for a win.

70. RexLibris says:

Heck of an OT period in the Flames/Lightning game.

Stamkos and Drouin on a 2 on nothing and Ramo somehow stops the shot from Drouin.

Palat scores.

71. nycoil says:

Some kind of save by Ramo on Drouin on that feed from Stamkos. And nice win, TBay.

72. Pouzar says:

Drouin gonna be dominating on a line with Stamkos before too long.

73. RexLibris says:

nycoil:

Flames sitting now tied with San Jose with 9 pts and sitting 7th in the WC.

Obviously early, but if you had said that eight games into the season the Flames would be ahead of St. Louis, Vancouver and Minnesota I don’t think many would have believed you.

When I checked this morning their PDO was around 104.6. Sh% is around 9 but the sv% is WAY too high.

Going to be interesting when things correct.

Flames sitting now tied with San Jose with 9 pts and sitting 7th in the WC.

This is perhaps one of the worst sentences I have ever written.

74. Numenius says:

Woodguy: Maybe Eakins felt like he was coaching for his job and needed someone he could trust. No shame in that.

Once he feels more secure, you gotta get this kid playing.

I’m sure when Eakins feels like the team has some breathing space, Yak will get the minutes.

75. Klima's_Bucket says:

nycoil,

I’ve watched all the Panthers games except the one against New Jersey.
    Ekblad looks like a 10 year vet. He’s going to be a dandy!

76. One-Timer says:

I see that my last post was way off topic.

Go YakCity!

He going to be my favourite Oiler one day, our very own Patrick Kane. It’s just too bad that Nail doesn’t play center.

Hey wait a minute…!

* lightbulb flickers on in MacTeakins’ brain *

Klima’s_Bucket:
    nycoil,

I’ve watched all the Panthers games except the one against New Jersey.
    Ekblad looks like a 10 year vet. He’s going to be a dandy!

I can’t believe how much time he plays. Basically 22 minutes a night

78. sesame_oil says:

Woodguy,

yeah I don’t get it either Perron and Purcell have plus/minus of -8 and -7. Maybe it is do to having Drais. on their line.

79. Klima's_Bucket says:

He made one awful turnover tonight on the Avs 3rd goal.
    But other than that the kid has been very impressive.
    Him and Campbell are a fabulous pair to watch.

80. Klima's_Bucket says:

Oh and his pass on the Barkov goal tonight was slick as well…

81. Genjutsu says:

Lowetide: I can’t believe how much time he plays. Basically 22 minutes a night

He’s special, an OHLer at 15 on defense. That has never been done before.

One of a kind.

82. hunter1909 says:

VOR:

At least it wasn’t over anything trivial.

: p

Imagine the 15 years of torment Oiler fans would receive if Yakupov got traded away for anything less than Seth Jones. Scoring cup winning goals for Dallas, Montreal, or the Brooklyn Islanders.

At least they got something out of Messier before losing him.

California Golden Seals got themselves swindled out of Guy Lafleur – look what happened to them.

83. Bling says:

Woodguy,

I’ll give Eakins the benefit of the doubt on Yak for a few games.

Yak’s TOI should be higher, and I think it will get there.

He is doing something positive on the offensive AND defensive end every time he is on the ice. I think the corgis will come along.

He’s gonna go supernova soon, book it.

84. hunter1909 says:

Not sold on Drouin. Rookies dazzle because no one knows exactly how to defend against them – at first.

85. hunter1909 says:

Bling: He’s gonna go supernova soon, book it.

Ironically giving Eakins more time to coach the Oilers.

86. hunter1909 says:

How about Dallas? They trade for Seguin/Spezza/Hemsky + draft Jamie Benn in the 5th round(Lowetide more or less doesn’t believe this is possible).

They just opened up the minds of the Canuck players – to the stark realization they’re mediocre and going nowhere.

Seguin looks magnificent. Boston are in for more tears than they ever gave Toronto over the Kessler debacle. They look like they’re going to win another cup in Texas.

Go Flames! 100% agree that you never want to tank – even if you miss getting a super player from the draft.

87. till_horcoff_is_coach says:

The more the coaches attempt to cater to a line the less they will play. See the Fayne / MM toi as another example.

Confidence is vital for YakCity right now. It matters more than toi. Give the kid a few more games of domination so he is feeling it strong enough to ride any negativity. Also, avoid moving the kid down lines by taking your time moving him up. The season is early.

Lastly, watch the yak mins to jump when oil are ever up by 2+. It’s less of an issue to make mistakes when your team wins the game.

88. Bling says:

RexLibris,

This gamer gate thing is possibly the most screwed up thing I’ve ever heard of.

What the hell is wrong with people?

89. Hammers says:

Quit worrying about Yak . He will overcome .Actually Petry & Marincin already have . It still comes down to who McT is willing to let go and it maybe one of the last 2 or it maybe Perron or Ebs but sooner or later he will make a trade and we may get pissed off but guess what if he improves this team most will just say thanks .

90. book¡je says:

It’s just that a lot of Canadians don’t know much about the country of Asia.

91. hunter1909 says:

book¡je: icecastles: I’m probably missing an obvious reference, but Minsk is in Belarus, not Russia.
    It’s just that a lot of Canadians don’t know much about the country of Asia.

Belarus is in Europe.

92. rickithebear says:

Klima’s_Bucket:

He made one awful turnover tonight on the Avs 3rd goal.
    But other than that the kid has been very impressive.
    Him and Campbell are a fabulous pair to watch.

EV:
    3.57 EVGA/60 facing 1st/2nd 51% ZS
    he is asked to face tough comp and is major level of SUCK!

PK: does not.

PP:
    0.00 P/60
    4.05 GF/60 major suck!

Your Saw him good gets the Stuart Smalley!

93. "Steve Smith" says:

hunter1909: Belarus is in Europe.

94. G Money says:

“Steve Smith”,

I have a friend who lives in Mayo County, which is awesome, which is in Ireland, which is awesome, and Ireland is also a county in the country of Asia, which is the most awesome, because everyone knows mayo goes great with Asian food, like Wiener Schnitzel and pannekoeks.

I love gerorgrpahy.

95. Dr. Taboggan says:

ᴏ̶ɪ̶ʟ̶ғ̶ɪ̶ʀ̶ᴇ̶TireFire,

Indeed it is, great show. Very inspiring.

96. commonfan14 says:

RexLibris: I wouldn’t move the 1st until at the draft. The value of it hasn’t yet been determined, so trading on it, given recent history would be foolhardy.

The best case scenario for trading the pick is moving it out now for a big return when the other team has every reason to expect the pick to be a prime McDavid lottery ticket, then having the Oilers improve dramatically with the trade proceeds and getting out of the lottery.

One could say that no team will pay them a big return now because they don’t yet know the value of the pick, but I don’t think it’s impossible for a few reasons:

1) This is no ordinary draft year.
    2) The lottery rules have changed.
    3) The Oilers always stink.

If a big return isn’t available, don’t trade the pick. But it’s worth exploring.

Trading the pick now is a risk, but it’s also the only way to dramatically win the deal. Waiting to see what it’s ultimately going to be worth just ensures you get only that – at best.

97. book¡je says:

“Steve Smith”: But Europe’s a continent that contains many countries, of which Asia is just one.

Exactly, East of Yakitusk I think.

98. book¡je says:

hunter1909: Belarus is in Europe.

Also wooooosh…

99. edwards_daddy says:

Isn’t Minsk a Womble from Wimbledon common?

In regard to Minsk, Russia: They’re all chickens. The rooster has sex with all of them.

101. RexLibris says:

I thought MInsk played forward for the Red Wings in ’86-’87.

I could swear I have his rookie card somewhere.

102. "Frank The Dog" says:

book¡je: Exactly, East of Yakitusk I think.

103. Hockey News: Pens GM Wants Fleury; Horton's Career in Jeopardy says:

[…] Should the Oilers entertain the notion of trading Yakupov? [LoweTide] […]

104. "Frank The Dog" says:

edwards_daddy:
    Isn’t Minsk a Womble from Wimbledon common?

Or is it a type of fur that wealthy women used to wear around their necks?

105. RexLibris says:

LT, this one’s for you.

106. RexLibris says:

“Frank The Dog”: There’s also an ancient country that disappeared, called Asia Minor. It’s where all of the children lived before they joined the Army and became Asia Majors…….

Correction: Asia Minor is right next to English Major.

107. wheatnoil says:

RexLibris: Correction: Asia Minor is right next to English Major.

That’s kind of awkward, since I’m pretty sure English Major lost his job to Asia Minor.

108. theres oil in virginia says:

RexLibris:
    LT, this one’s for you.

“I’m going to have a dog beer, and then I’m going to have another.”

109. Kmart99 says:

FREE YAK! He is looking ridiculous good, but he doesn’t strike me as a player that responds well to his ice time being cut for no good reason. He’s been the 5/6th best forward so far but is getting th TOI of the the 12th… Wtf

110. gcw_rocks says:

Yesterday Kadri apparently told the Toronto media he was as talented as John Tavares, but he was still working on the work ethic part that Tavares has.

Comments like this don’t help your team and fans embrace you.

111. gcw_rocks says:

Lowetide: No idea. It makes no sense to trade Kadri, so by definition it’s madness.

Kadri’s name has come up as the centre piece in a trade for Eric Staal. If Staal is coming the other way, it’s not that mad.