WALKING ON SUNSHINE, WOW-OH!

Martin-Marincin-perry nelson usa sports

That was a solid effort last night and the Edmonton Oilers are now 4-4-1 with Nashville in town tomorrow. This Oilers team appears to have an extra gear—a bend-not-break gear—they simply didn’t have one year ago. The additions of veterans Mark Fayne, Benoit Pouliot, Niki Nikitin and goalies Ben Scrivens and Viktor Fasth have helped, and second-year man Martin Marincin’s contributions are also a big part of the team’s success.

ZONE STARTS, BLUE G9

1. Mark Fayne 18
  2. Martin Marincin 18
  3. Jeff Petry 38
  4. Andrew Ference 38
  5. Justin Schultz 45
  6. Brad Hunt 45

One of the stories we really need to pay attention to this season is young Marincin. He’s miles from being ready for this, but the fact he’s not -10 already is a pretty good sign for his future.

CORSI CLOSE 5X5%, BLUE G9

1. Martin Marincin 67
  2. Mark Fayne 67
  3. Justin Schultz 50
  4. Jeff Petry 42
  5. Brad Hunt 40
  6. Andrew Ference 39

Fascinating look at what happened with the game in the balance. Marincin and Fayne, despite getting the tough zone start and some of the toughest assignments, shone brightly in the Corsi box last night. I also thought Ference had a good game last night and Jeff Petry remains a quality defender. Even Justin Schultz had moments of effective defensive play.

I think last night showed the Oilers’ blue isn’t strong enough to control play in the defensive end, but does (or is gaining) enough of the ‘calm feet’ aspect to their game that we can safely assume most sorties into Edmonton’s end won’t end in disaster.

Martin Marincin has graduated (game 50 Wednesday) to the NHL as a bona fide player. He is one of Stu MacGregor’s picks outside the first round, and took four years and nine games to get here. Waiting five years. It’s the right thing to do.

NAIL

YAKUPOV81Darren Dreger on TSN 1050 last night (re Yakupov)“They were ready to cut bait, there’s no question about that, just because he just didn’t seem to want to embrace some of the things you have to embrace to be an all-around good player in the National Hockey League and because of that his ice time had to be taken back.  You know, every time I check, and it’s frequent on Yakupov because again, we were one of the media groups that was pretty vocal in pulling this kid apart last year, so you want to be fair in that process. And every time I’ve checked, and this was as recent as late last week, the message from both Craig MacTavish and Dallas Eakins has been consistent – he’s making really strong progress.

They like the way he’s trying to add that defensive structure to his game. He’s not there yet. He’s not there yet. And it’s easy to be critical of Nail Yakupov, but I know from Eakins’ perspective, he spent a lot of time with him on the phone over the offseason staying in touch, making sure he was doing things that he needed to do.

So Eakins and the general manager still have a lot of time for Nail Yakupov, regardless of what’s being reported in Edmonton.”

Source

The Russian’s goal last night and his quality play overall were a nice cap on a day when Oilers Nation showed in real form just how devoted they are to Yakupov. An article by Mark Spector earlier in the day caused a large backlash which Spector acknowledged during the game broadcast last evening. Lost in ALL of the verbal is that Nail is struggling in some important areas this season. He had a CorsiClose of less than 40% last night and now stands No. 375 out of 417 NHL forwards this season in CorsiOn 5×5.

The visual is far more appealing when he plays like last night, getting four shots and a goal. Bruce McCurdy’s game summary reflected his performance very well.

ference draisaitlrishaug draisaitlYou’re going to read and hear a lot of people with “I predicted this on June 30” but the fact is anyone who has followed this team knew Leon would be here the moment Edmonton didn’t pluck a top free-agent center option after July 1. The trade of Sam Gagner on the Sunday after the draft was also a tell, and really the only true competition for the spot came from Russian Bogdan Yakimov in training camp.

LEON DRAISAITL 14-15

• 5×5 points per 60: 1.26 (7th among regular forwards)
  • 5×4 points per 60: 2.56 (5th among regular forwards)
  • Qual Comp: easiest among regular forwards (4th line opp)
  • Qual Team: 4th best teammates among regular forwards (2nd line teammates)
  • Corsi Rel: 9.2 (4th best among regular forwards)
  • Corsi for % 5×5: 51.6
  • Zone Start: 81% (easiest among regular forwards)
  • Faceoffs: 47.9% on 96 sorties
  • Shots on goal/percentage:  15/6.7%
  • Boxcars: 9, 1-2-3

There are some nice things here, but I don’t think it’s reasonable to argue a veteran would do less in this role. The Oilers have a very valuable 19-year old, and I’ve always believed if the player is ready, you play him. Despite some nice numbers, I think it’s too close to call and the team should err on the side of caution. That said, I’m happy for the player and hope he scores 40 points this season.

garner5

LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE

At 10, TSN 1260. We’ll begin the day with Jonathan Willis from Oilers Nation, Cult of Hockey and Sportsnet—he’ll break down last night’s game and give us his take on Draisaitl. Guy Flaming updates the Oil Kings, the 2015 draft and Greg Chase’s chances of making the WJ team at 10:25. At 11, Alan Hull from Copper & Blue drops in and we’ll talk about Ben Scrivens, the current winning streak, and beating western conference teams. After that, open line and I’d love to get your input.

10-1260 text and @Lowetide_ on twitter.

152 Responses to "WALKING ON SUNSHINE, WOW-OH!"

1. linkfromhyrule says:

It’s always a bit strange when the numbers don’t agree with the eye. Everyone agrees Nail is better, and by eye he has been, but he is posting Gazdic level possession numbers.

That being said, I’m going to allow myself to gloss over the numbers a bit. This years Nail has been better in all areas. I have a feeling that the goal he scored last night will be the first of many this season. He just needs to find his confidence and play the team game.

How about that Scrivens tho. He earned that shutout

2. HiddenDarts says:

For me, this was easily one of the most “defensively organized” (despite some serious “trapped in the dzone time) game I’ve seen from the Oilers in quite a few years. For a lot of the game, I felt like Montreal’s attack was stifled, big time. This is a huge sign, frankly.

They beat the Predators, and I will ACTUALLY BELIEVE that the first 5 games were about “learning the systems”.

After last year, it feels good to be optimistic again.

3. admiralmark says:

I can’t take Dreger seriously. I think he’s a sly reporter that takes snippets of truth and mixes it in with rumblings from fans. It gets the attention due to the volatility of the commentary and yet mixed in with known truths passes as believable.

I’m willing to bet that Yakupov has never been close to being moved by MacT. The simple reason is he didnt have enough value to make it worthwhile. So all this BS about the being ready to cut bait and now its turned around is a big load of you know what from Dreger.

4. HiddenDarts says:

linkfromhyrule,

The Professor has been a rock. He looks real settled in, and everything seems to be bouncing off him in a good way.

5. John Chambers says:

Having perhaps the best 4th line in hockey provides the team with an unusual luxury – that they can provide substantial shelter to any line featuring Kraftwerk at C.

In truth, the 19-year old is not the team’s 2nd line C, but really a 4th line C being fed O-zone starts.

That said, the Oilers have been hugely successful on home ice – we’ll see how it all holds up when the CFR comes to town.

6. HiddenDarts says:

admiralmark,

Completely agree. Dreger’s other problem is that 90% of everything he says is in some way structured to benefit the Leafs.

7. linkfromhyrule says:

HiddenDarts,

Yep. I think it is safe to say we were all feeling some deja vu at the beginning of the year, but he has really turned it around. I don’t think I could handle another season sunk by bad goaltending!

8. nycoil says:

There was never any hint from the Oilers Leon was potentially getting sent down. So, no surprise. Right move? Hard to say. The safer play was still to get an insurance policy for C and slide LD to wing if need be. The Oilers have no insurance policy on their Porsche.

9. su_dhillon says:

Interesting game last night, I know it’s partly due to the Oilers leading for 40 minutes but looking at the numbers on Hockey Reference, every Hab had a ZS above 50% except Prust and on the Oilers only the Nuge line and Leon had ZS over 50%, Leon was 100. It would be nice to use the Nuge line with those types of ZS not sure they will be able to though with both Archo and Leon,

Hunt should not be on the NHL team and if Nikitin is out tomorrow call Klef up.

Though Eberle looked off again last night, not sure what’s going on maybe just a little beat up but his game is a little wonky.

Thought Yak made a really interesting point in the post game with Principe when asked whats different this year he said ” we have old guys now”. Actual NHL players help you win NHL games. They could still use another to play center but at least were getting some results and 4 in a row man that does feel good,

I kind of feel like Bart Simpson when he said he had a feeling he didn’t remember before, not quite pride but more “not shame”. Here’s to a season of Not Shame!

10. linkfromhyrule says:

John Chambers,

That road trip will be a long one for the team, 5 games in 8 nights. Thankfully the only back 2 back has us playing buffalo on the second night. I think it’s reasonable to think we could pick up 2-3 wins on that road trip, depending on how things go.

Flyers, Bruins, Buffalo, New York, Nashville. Flyers are all injured, bruins have no chara, buffalo is buffalo (we’ll probably find a way to make them look good in this one), then new york and nashville are both doing fairly well.

At least they’re not going to california yet.

11. Stanley 2018 says:

-The biggest difference with Yakupov is his commitment, downright passion, for playing without the puck. That stickless challenge vs Subban is a better highlight than either of his goals. That sort of thing is contagious for his teamates. The fancystats will change with time and experience.
    -The win last nite had a lot of good things. Oilers need to learn how to play with the lead and close out a game, and you could see they’re getting better at it. They’re still playing on their heels, but they’re getting valuable experience playing in the DZone, getting comfortable with the systems. They looked gelled last nite, and that’s fantastic. At some point Oilers will lose bad due to their 2nd half play, and that will be a good thing. That’s how you learn.
    -Draisaitl is going to be just fine. I want to see more of that fancy passing. He’s better in the FO circle than RNH was in his early years, and possibly better than 93 now. Him and Yakupov will be linemates, and they will be good.
    That is all.

12. D says:

Yakupov has a lot of fans, which from a marketing perspective is something the Oilers are hopefully cognizant.

13. HiddenDarts says:

Hunt should not be on the NHL team

And still… I believe Klef should get overripe. How about Davidson? Oesterle?

14. Caramel Obvious says:

This team is far more organized on the breakout. That’s a big difference.

Sadly, the last two games the passing has been sloppy. The D isn’t good enough at moving the puck. Here, the problem is J. Schultz, great skater but not a great passer and, strangely, not great at puck control (lollygagging syndrome).

Yakupov’ Corsi will improve as he starts turning space into shots. Until then, I believe the Corsi.

This season turns on those two players. Everyone else is who they are but if Yakupov and Schultz can become the players they are supposed to be then this team might have something. Right now, however, they remain disappointments.

15. John Chambers says:

linkfromhyrule,

Yep. If they come away with 6 points on the road trip, I think we can actually talk about playoffs as a possibility.

If they fall flat and win in Buffalo only … Well, we’ve over-rotated on that subject.

16. BeerMe says:

Night and day from last year. It’s amazing the difference it makes when you have a goalie that isn’t layings eggs every night and your d-corps aren’t fumbling around like headless chickens.

17. bsmart says:

I meet Dreger in Edmonton during the playoffs in 06. I was not impressed, he has little man syndrome.

I also met Nick Kypreos that day, he was extremely friendly and willing to engage socially.

18. slopitch says:

Drai has the most capable wingers and best supporting cast of D that any of the #1s had. That and Craig Ramsay 🙂 Nothing we can do but cheer for the guy.

19. stephen sheps says:

Maybe this was mentioned in the comments after the game last night, so I apologize if this was already brought up:

Eakins actually directly referenced Tyler in his presser last night regarding shots on net and blocked shots. Said something to the effect of 7% of first shots that make it on net go in, but 25% of second chances (rebounds, up to 3 seconds after the first shot) do, so the key is to not allow shots on net and that he would rather defend from further out.

This is the first instance I’ve heard the coach actually both reference and acknowledge Tyler’s contributions. Progress?

20. Lynas1 says:

HiddenDarts: This all day. If it wasn’t the insanely bad positioning, it was the lazy “puck off the boards and NOT out” plays. This is far from an NHL player.

And still… I believe Klef should get overripe. How about Davidson? Oesterle?

Isn’t Davidson on the IR? I’d prob take Oesterle over Hunt right now, but that also might be a mistake if you think he’s a viable option going forward. Wouldn’t want to Tambelini him like Lander.

21. nycoil says:

Dreger was pushing an agenda on behalf of the Leafs last year to get Yak to Toronto. Remember the Yak+ for Reimer talk? The Leafs wouldn’t trade Reimer straight up for Yakupov? Puh-lease.

Anyway, I’m going to refer back to the start of the year when the Oilers were winless and I said to remain calm because a .915 sv pct instead of the gong show the Oilers had to start the year would have seen them at 11GF / 11GA at that point.

Now, lo and behold, the Oilers have 29 non-empty net goals scored against them. The sv pct is up to .892. .915 would have them at 23 non-empty net goals against. The Oilers have scored 26 goals (1 empty netter). They would have a positive goal differential of +2.

I think one can make the argument that mean regression is what is helping the Oilers now after a horribly unlucky start. This should be a Bettman .500 hockey team.

Just like I wasn’t too pessimistic to start, this 4-game win streak isn’t making me optimistic either. A little home cooking vs the East was just what the doctor ordered.

22. nycoil says:

Anyway, Oilers have hit my 8-pt prediction for this home stand with two games to spare. Woodguy, aka Mr. Optimist, has called for one more win. Here’s hoping he is right!

23. Магия 10 says:

stephen sheps:

Quality of second shots. Box protection and pocession?

24. doritogrande says:

The pic of Marincin got me remembering, what was that “playing with an illegal stick” penalty for last night? It sure looked intact to me.

25. Sevenseven says:

Hi Lowetide,
    I like how you lay out stats, but id like to see you ad in ice time and how it ranks to the other forwards.

26. "Frank The Dog" says:

Let’s not get too far ahead of ourselves here. IIRC early last season we were also saying the corgi’s were good and we were hoping for a good season at last. It’s nice to see the team playing like this but the biggest hurdle after this, is the 10 game losing streak/s that this team has handed to the coaches and fans every season since 2008?
    Losses here and there are one thing, those 10 game streaks are season killers and they can happen at any time.

27. su_dhillon says:

stephen sheps:

Didn’t see the post game presser going to watch now but I would agree, this would definitely be classified as progress.

28. Bag of Pucks says:

Was anyone else cautiously encouraged by the play of Jultz last night?

I saw a player actively engaged in puck battles for a change. I think it’s fair to conclude that he’s perceived the demotion to the third pairing and upon ‘getting the memo,’ he may actually start battling now to ‘earn’ his mins. Rewards for results? What a concept Eakins!

Whilst I didn’t like the $600k pay inequity btw them, I really liked MacT’s strategy of putting Norris and Petry on 1 year deals to essentially set up this season as a year long duel for the big money deal at the end of the rainbow. Of course, the risk remains that Petry simply wants out after years of suckage, but for the time being at least, we seem to be getting the best of both of them.

For me, Schultz has to become the pp qb we were sold on (Housely, Rafalski, Karlsson, etc.) to be worth the big money. Without that offensive upside, he’s not worth the soft coverage in the D zone. With Klefbom likely up by mid season and Nurse on the horizon, this could get interesting. Like Oesterle as a dark horse as well. Saw him good in Penticton.

29. zatch says:

I have not liked Scrivens as much as some here. He has looked shaky and he is terrifyingly awful handling the puck. The D have had issues too, but Scrivens is at least as at fault.

CBJ down Bob. That`s awful for them, considering their backup is a thirdstringer. I`m shocked they didn`t address it. I thought they should have looked at Dubnyk.

30. old Oil says:

Glad to see Kraftwerk staying to, at least, game 39. The idea that returning a player to Junior to continue developing depends on the quality of coaching and the situation at the their junior team. Case in point was Yak. Getting sent back to junior to be told, “go get the puck and score” wasn’t going to develop any defensive awareness. In the NFL, one of the most successful coaches in bringing along new players (often unheralded) is Bill Belichick. His vets have to be demonstratively better than a youngin’ or he lets them leave through F.A., trades them or cuts them. By the time a player is a vet you pretty well know what you have and he better be much better than the newbie. If you are anywhere near level, go with the rook because he has a good chance of improving. Earlier in the summer some were suggesting Derek Roy and the like but it’s hard to see where that level of player would be an improvement on Leon. A few years ago, yes, today no. There’s lots of lateral moves that could be made to fill in a 2C but a marked improvement over Leon will take more resources than most of us would feel comfortable losing. Without a doubt, MacT would need to ‘lose’ the trade to get a modest upgrade at 2C. He may still need to do that later down the road, but it’s nice to know the team has bought a bit of breathing space (while playing some enjoyable hockey).

31. delooper says:

“Frank The Dog”:

Dude! This is an Oilers site. One loss and everyone will be borderline suicidal, and they’ll have figured out everything wrong with the team and why they’ll never win another game ever again.

Everyone is prepped and ready.

32. Old School G says:

Last night, the camera panned to Gordon and Hendricks on the bench after a beauty, hard hat shift. Penalty kill, bottom part of the third, if my memory is right. Gordon was dog tired, looking off in the distance getting his wind back, Hendricks was just gassed, and was making an audible, comedic, exhale and gasp for more air with the face of a man truly loving his job, keeping the bench in it, contagious work ethic. Great scene.

I am incredibly proud to be an Oilers fan with hard working, no bull shit, characters like these two shouldering the brutal, heavy minutes for our team.

33. LMHF#1 says:

I was hoping you’d mention Marincin this morning LT. He’s made a lot of the difference over the past few games. So many important defensive stops last night, mostly knocking the Canadiens’ forwards off-stride as they tried to go wide. He’s huge for this team. They need another one of him.

And on Leon – last night he did two things that will be very important to his game going forward:

1 – He played mean every now and again, throwing a couple opposition players around and standing toe-to-toe with one of the knuckle-draggers in a scrum. Awesome. People will give him more room as he adds this to his NHL game. Room = time = scoring chances.

2 – He held onto the puck more. Draisaitl is not going to be a ‘quick pass’ guy. He’s going to get it, keep it, lumber around a bit and then make things happen when the time is right. This was missing early. It is showing up now.

That said, they still need a 2C to replace Arcobello if they want to run with bigger dogs.

34. su_dhillon says:

LMHF#1:

This. If Leon is here for the season, which he probably is, then you need to find another C that the coach trusts and can deliver in mins that aren’t butter soft.

35. Магия 10 says:

stephen sheps:
    Магия 10,

something like that…

Yeah, But of course if goalies or D or structure suppress second shots the Corgis get healthier. Just like the intangibles can’t avoid on-ice measurement.

36. misfit says:

40 points from Draisaitl would be heaven. Barkov put up 24 (36 point pace) a year ago at the same age and I think he had a pretty solid year. If Draisaitl can have a comparable year, it sets him up well going forward. I don’t think he’s quite the same level of talent, but he’s getting more of a push.

On Yak, he’s always going to be a guy the media zeros in on. He’s just one of those players. But as long as the team is winning, he’ll be a “lovable eccentric with a big personality”. It’s only when we lose that he becomes the “enigmatic Russian with attitude problems who refuses to play defense”.

37. VanOil says:

Imagine if the team had started the season with there best left handed defensemen in the line up. I still can’t get past that level of stupid.

38. PaperKurtRussell says:

So, I decided to watch the game en français last night on RDS, just to get a different perspective. Here are some interesting comments:
    – During a pre-game interview with skating coach David Pelletier, they asked him about getting credibility with the hockey guys. He said that the first thing he does is some kind of skill challenge that 95% of players are unable to do. Once they realize that they can’t do it, he gets instant credibility. He also said that Leon openly admits that his skating is terrible, and it sounds like he is the number 1 student right now. Pelletier was so proud of his first goal. Sounds like they are close.
    – They referred to Justin as a point-producing offensive “machine”. They called him a machine several times. No balancing comments about how bad he is defensively, or that his offense is not in fact all that great. Kind of supports previous dialogue here about Jultz reputation or value around the league. Sell high???
    – During intermission, Carbonneau and Gauthier were going on and on about how many defensive errors the Oilers make. Heading into the 3rd, Carbonneau said that the Habs are probably relaxed in the dressing room, knowing that they don’t even have to force turnovers, the Oilers just make them and everyone expects that when playing them. Gauthier also said that in all of his years around the league, he has never seen a team make so many defensive mistakes in the offensive zone. That is apparently hard to do as regularly as the Oil do. I guess the rampage of 2 on 1 breaks the Habs got fully supports this.
    – Finally, Carbonneau gave a lecture on Yak’s +/-. I guess, like foreplay, there is just no translation for advanced stats at this time. 😉
    C’est tout.

39. Dicky94 says:

I wonder if Bachman will get one of the next two games? Or do you keep riding Ben at home. Yakopov looked really good last night. Still always makes at least one of those cross ice passes a game where your like ” what the hell !” That line is starting to show some chemistry too. Which is all good! If they win the next two, you would have to think Mac t makes a trade for a center to give them a shot at the playoffs. They keep playing the way they have I believe they have a shot.

40. VanOil says:

PaperKurtRussell: During a pre-game interview with skating coach David Pelletier, they asked him about getting credibility with the hockey guys. He said that the first thing he does is some kind of skill challenge that 95% of players are unable to do. Once they realize that they can’t do it, he gets instant credibility. He also said that Leon openly admits that his skating is terrible, and it sounds like he is the number 1 student right now. Pelletier was so proud of his first goal. Sounds like they are close.

This is great news. Thanks for sharing and I agree sell high with Jultz.

41. B S says:

Ben Scrivens and Martin Marincin held that game in check last night, Habs had some good chances but not enough finish. Although the Oiler’s breakouts were much better than last season there was far less structure than we’ve seen in previous games this season. The Oilers won because their goalie was fantastic and the habs were stupid enough to put the sails out against the Kids in the Hall and think that they can keep up.

This kind of game won’t happen against W.C. opponents, even Chicago has learned not to do this against Edmonton. I’m hoping they can still play a smart structured game when the time comes (say on Wednesday).

Not that I mind the win, or Yakupov sticking it to that tool Spector.

42. icecastles says:

Dicky94: I wonder if Bachman will get one of the next two games? Or do you keep riding Ben at home.

Bachman is a call-up from the AHL. Scrivens is an NHL starter. Scrivens’ save percentage in his last 5 games is 1.000, .900, .941, .917, .966. No way on Gord’s green earth do you sit him for Bachman.

I think that one amazing stolen win last season when he was brought in has coloured a lot of folks’ perception of Bachman’s abilities as a goalie. He’s not a bad goaltender by any stretch. But it’s also no coincidence that he’s not playing in the NHL full-time.

If Fasth is out long-term, or MAYBE if there is a back-to-back scenario, Scrivens will ride the pine.

Edit: I misremembered slightly. that amazing game last year (Oct 27 against LA) wasn’t a win for Bachman. He posted a .979 in an overtime loss. Stopped 47 consecutive shots in regulation. His next two Oilers games were .846 and .778 and that was it.

43. Hammers says:

Before the season started I felt 11 points after 11 games would keep this team moving forward so we need at least 1 of the next 2 .. I still feel we must be at least 50% of our points after the 20 game mark . Typically most G.M’s decide what they have and can they compete by u.s. thanksgiving and McT probably falls in that group . I expect to here he is watching a couple of Barons games over the next 3 weeks . He needs to know what he has to bring up due to injury or any poor play . It will be late November before a trade is made unless his blown away by an offer . That will only come from those teams thinking / expecting to be in the playoffs like Colorado , Detroit , Toronto , Arizona , Winnipeg or Ottawa . Pressure starts to build around thanksgiving and I expect this year will be the same .

44. B S says:

icecastles,

Plus if Fasth is going to be ready soon you can rest Scrivens on the road trip.

45. "Frank The Dog" says:

John Chambers:

In truth, the wagon wheel line is not a 4th line, it’s a 3rd, checking line and a superb one at that. We have a weak 2nd line in Arco, and a strong 4th line with Drai that will at some point take over the Arco line minutes.
    Hence the predeliction for teams like Vancouver to throw their top line at Drai in road games, although I suspect Eakins will play them in front of a solid D pairing that includes at least one of Petry or Fayne.

46. "Frank The Dog" says:

I’m not sure how much of what happened to Fasth was groin and how much was “quit”. Not sure either if he has the “bounce back” resilience that Scrivens has displayed, nor that he isn’t injury prone, seeing how many games lost to injury. We’ll see.

In the meantime he seems to be ok as a backup to Scrivens.

47. Pouzar says:

Bag of Pucks:
    Was anyone else cautiously encouraged by the play of Jultz last night?

Schultz laid a nice hit on Prust in the corner.

48. linkfromhyrule says:

“Frank The Dog”,

49. icecastles says:

“Frank The Dog”:
    I’m not sure how much of what happened to Fasth was groin and how much was “quit”.Not sure either if he has the “bounce back” resilience that Scrivens has displayed, nor that he isn’t injury prone, seeing how many games lost to injury. We’ll see.

Yeah, the cynical part of me was wondering the same thing when he skated himself over to the bench. We don’t really have any facts to support or dismiss the theory and one has to think that if he’s made it this far as a hockey player, he has a hell of a lot more battle level than that. But still, the way it happened… ugh. A shitty thought if he is in fact that mentally soft.

I choose not to believe it though, if for no other reason than (1) we don’t have any evidence of that, (2) he’s a pro hockey player, not a kid, and (3) I don’t want to.

50. "Frank The Dog" says:

linkfromhyrule:
    “Frank The Dog”,

Yeah, I think I’m quite well known for that here, and sometimes I’m even proven correct. 🙂

51. Well Oiled and Enthusiastic says:

VanOil,

I must agree. Seems pointless to keep stewing on this from my perspective, but MM’s performance the last number of games really incriminates the decisions by management to send him down. Can’t say it definitively cost games, but it was a contributor – however small – and just doesn’t gel with trying to ice your best squad every minute of every game. That was a glaringly obvious and embarrassing misstep.

I don’t have heartache over LD sticking. He will have his confidence pummeled more than a few times but it’s part of learning and I sense this young man wants it – no lack of commitment or confidence. Best to get this bit of housework over with now while we are still on the outside looking in on playoff competitiveness. Next year is the real watershed and best to have a player like LD a little road ridden. Same is likely true of Klefbom but he can sharpen in the AHL for the first half of season. But get him up at some point and ratchet back ice time for future non-core defense (like Ference) in the latter half of the season.

Really liking the work Ramsey has done on organizing the break outs and zone entries. Appreciably better and more simplified. I can already see the players not only getting it but committing to it. He has been a great add to the mix.

52. G Money says:

“Frank The Dog”,

I wouldn’t want to draw the parallels between last year and this year too far.

There are similarities in that early in the year, the Corgi’s were half decent but shoddy goaltending and defensive breakdowns were killing the team.

By the time the goaltending sorted itself out, the season was already done and then worse still, Eakins & co. lost the courage of their convictions and changed their systems to be overly conservative, at which point the Corgi’s took a massive dive. Dellow deconstructed this, primarily around faceoff strategy, in painful detail. Can pinpoint it almost to the day: Dec 5th.

Many have mistakenly construed this to be an East/West Conference thing, which is not supported by the data – the Oiler Corgi’s were reasonably decent against both E/W opponents prior to Dec 5th, and reasonably horrible against both E/W teams after. There were more East opponents before, but that seems to be a red herring.

We’ve already seen two massive differences so far this year:

– the goaltending has righted itself within five games. Obviously, Scrivens needs to keep it up. But worth remembering that the Positive Corgi Oilers were batting about .300 Bettman, while the Negative Corgi Oilers With Scrivens were batting close to .500 Bettman. Goaltending matters!!!!

– the defensive breakdowns are not nearly as common, nor nearly as glaring this year. This team finally understands that home plate needs to be covered at all times, and they’re working hard to try and make that so.

When Montreal started to push hard last night and the Oilers went into a defensive shell after going up 2-0, they actually managed to weather the storm. I’m positive they would have lost that game last year.

So there is no need change the systems.

Ideally (and very unlike last year), this is the team that we should see throughout the year AND hopefully they will actually improve game by game.

Nothing definitive, but strong reasons to believe this year is not like last year.

53. Well Oiled and Enthusiastic says:

Also…..Hendricks….that’s leadership by example. Really great stuff out there last night. He sacrificed big time to drag this win into the boat. I hope Joensuu was drinking that performance in.

54. G Money says:

icecastles: Has there been ANY update on his progress?

As to the other thing, this is an NHL player. Zero chance it was faked. Zero.

55. engineer says:

So, I guess I missed the boat on something – what’s the difference between Corsi and Corgi? Just slang, or are there different definitions?

56. linkfromhyrule says:

“Frank The Dog”,

haha, and that’s fine, but it just reminds me of the character attacks on yak and hemsky. It happens all the time, goalie tries to keep playing after he pulls/injures something, then realizes it’s not going to happen. Not sure how that is “quit”

why would he continue to play and risk aggravating the injury.

57. commonfan14 says:

linkfromhyrule: Bit heavy on the conjecture, unless you have access to Fasth’s medical file somehow

The chart, Ms. Benes.

58. "Steve Smith" says:

engineer,

“Corgi” was a term coined by the Corsi-skeptical, Hi Art! chief among them, to ridicule the pocket protector crowd for caring about stats beyond the final score. It’s since been reclaimed by the statheads. It means “Corsi”.

59. russ99 says:

PaperKurtRussell:
    – They referred to Justin as a point-producing offensive “machine”.They called him a machine several times.No balancing comments about how bad he is defensively, or that his offense is not in fact all that great.Kind of supports previous dialogue here about Jultz reputation or value around the league.Sell high???

That’s a bold statement. I don’t think anyone here doubts Schulz’s offensive value to the team.

The issue is defense, and sadly Woodguy’s missive was mistakely perceived. It was about “creating more than you give up” which frankly overshadows his strong offensive play by shining the spotlight on his defensive deficiencies that we’ve known all too well for years.

IMO, the focus isn’t his offense at all, it’s if he can improve on defense enough to keep his icetime, so his offensive game can really shine, especially where we really need it – 5×5.

Last night’s defensive efforts and the goals on this homestand are at least a good start towards that.

60. engineer says:

Much obliged, Steve-o.

61. jake70 says:

2 goals stuck out for me recently.

1. Ovechkin loses puck to RNH, who goes up and scores a beauty.

2. Last night, Pouliot’s goal from Arco on a misplay by the Habs.

Thing in common? A turnover, whether forced or unforced by the opposition IMMEDIATELY ends up in their own net as the Oilers score. This is what usually happens to the Oilers. These goals have more psychological impact because the result is immediate. Screw-up and bam goal against. More please.

62. Yeti says:

engineer,

Corsi is the total shots at the net for and against at even strength.
    Corgi is the bastard love-child of “Steve Smith” and the Queen of England.

I like the former but am becoming increasingly obsessed with the latter.

63. engineer says:

I was under the impression that the bastard love child of Steve Smith and the QoE was Eric Cartman, but ok.

64. blainer says:

No doubt MacEakins really screwed up on MM and Petry early on.. Luckily they saw the error of their ways and have fixed it. It is now time for me to give Eakins some credit as the coaching has been much better during the streak. He is giving out ice time on Merit and is making the correct decisions with the defense also. It is amazing how great goaltending can make a coach look good and how bad goaltending puts coaches on the hot seat. Colorado being a prime example.

Now send down Hunt and bring Klef back up if Nilkitin is out. They have a stud in MM.. they better not trade him. Nice for the fan base to notice what a great contract Hendricks is on. I was super happy the day that trade happened and had been hoping they had signed him before the preds did last year. Things have a way of working out.

65. JAG-041 says:

All I have to say about Nail last night was

No stick play, big hit, scored a goal

I’m sure if you were at Rexall last night you’re singing the praises of Yakupov today

66. icecastles says:

G Money: He skated on the weekend, for the first time since the injury. Original timeline was a few because based on it being a ‘tweak’, but even a groin tweak can turn into a season-ender if you’re not careful, so hopefully they keep him out until he’s 100%. An early return would unfortunately be consistent with Oiler history.

G Money:
    As to the other thing, this is an NHL player. Zero chance it was faked. Zero.

67. leadfarmer says:

Just because you can idly skate back to the bench doesnt mean you can do the splits, a rather necessary task for a goalie. Just like everyone else on here, just cause you can skate around a rink doesnt mean any of us can do the splits. Its easy to forget how hard these guys are on their bodies and being at 90% puts most players at not being good enough to play in the NHL.

Fasth finally got a chance to be a #1 goalie, something these guys try so hard to get. There is no way he “quit” and suggesting something like that is foolish.

68. leadfarmer says:

icecastles,

He should of shown what a true western canadian he is at heart and stuck it out in the process giving up three more goals and fully tearing his groin and missing the rest of the season. Then he could of joined the club of players “tough enough” to be Oilers.

69. khildahl says:

icecastles,

Oh, you mean like how Dwayne Roloson spent an intermission hiding in a bathroom stall puking instead of letting the coach know he was sick, and the team lost a playoff game because he was unfit to play?

70. hunter1909 says:

khildahl:
    icecastles,

M.A. Bergeron was too small to play defense in the NHL.

71. hunter1909 says:

They need a mite sized professional hockey league, where M.A. Bergeron, Mike Comrie and Andrew Cogliano can all be superstars.

72. Adam Wu says:

leadfarmer:
    Just because you can idly skate back to the bench doesnt mean you can do the splits, a rather necessary task for a goalie.Just like everyone else on here, just cause you can skate around a rink doesnt mean any of us can do the splits.Its easy to forget how hard these guys are on their bodies and being at 90% puts most players at not being good enough to play in the NHL.

Fasth finally got a chance to be a #1 goalie, something these guys try so hard to get.There is no way he “quit” and suggesting something like that is foolish.

Consider how he played in preseason, if not for that injury, he might have taken the starting job from Scrivens, and not even given Scrivens the chance he got to turn it around.

I don’t know if the Oilers as a team would have been better off in that case (Fasth as starter playing no matter how well with Scrivens as backup without having regained his confidence), but it is undoubtedly a bad break for Fasth.

73. Adam Wu says:

JAG-041:
    All I have to say about Nail last night was

No stick play, big hit, scored a goal

Positive possession plays with stick, foot, and shoulder, all in one game.

Someone needs to coin a term for that trifecta…. a-la Gordie Howe Hattrick.

74. khildahl says:

hunter1909: M.A. Bergeron was too small to play defense in the NHL.

Different series.

75. nycoil says:

engineer:

Using a redundancy like “bastard love child,” to describe the offspring of “Steve Smith” seems unfitting, even if wholly appropriate.

76. G Money says:

hunter1909,

If the NHL had taken a page out of strength and combat sports protocols and implemented divisions by weight class, I’m pretty certain we’d already be talking about how far in the playoffs our Edmonton Oilers, 2014 NHL Middleweight contenders, would be going.

Mind you, maybe that’s what the NHL is trying to do with the East.

77. Adam Wu says:

“Steve Smith”:
    engineer,

I’m sure those familiar with the “fancystats” know this well, but the critics of Corsi are misunderstanding the scientific mindset and missing the forest for the trees. Final score tells you about the events of the past. With respect to the events of the past, final score is the gold standard, and all other measures (shots, corsi, +/-, etc) are proxies of varying fidelity.

But the past is not the point. The past is over and done with. What you care about, from the scientific mindset, is the future. The games you win and the goals you score in previous games are nice and all, but what is more important after that’s all done is the games you win and the goals you score in future games. The fancystats are useful because they can predict, or at least put boundaries on the limits of the probabilities, of future scoring and future wins. That lets you make informed decisions about what to do in the future. How to deploy your players. Which players to go after in free agency or by trade. Whether to continue with or to change your systems.

The final score can’t do any of that for you. All it gives you is a chance to bask in past glories (or wallow in past defeats). Oilers fans, I think, should be well familiar with the level of utility of either of those.

78. Adam Wu says:

Random funny thought that just occurred to me.

79. Marcus Oilerius says:

Am I the only one who thinks we got lucky on this winning streak? No Hedman for Tampa, outplayed otherwise?

80. G Money says:

The verbal after the game was “groin injury”, but earlier in the blog it was postulated whether at least part of that was “quit” (I recognize this was not a word used by you).

The word “quit” implies that the groin injury, if not faked, was at least overstated as an excuse to get out of the game.

We’re talking about a guy who voluntarily stands in front of NHL snipers while they’re firing pucks at him.

My point was: I just cannot see “quit” being at all the case, and without concrete reasons (e.g. a teammate complaining anonymously that “Fasth has the toughness of a baseball player” or something equally pejorative) it’s very unfair to the player to suggest that there’s anything more to the story than injury.

81. G Money says:

Marcus Oilerius,

Lots of it.

About as much good luck (or maybe a bit less) than there was bad luck in the losing streak that preceded it.

It’s all evened out and left the team about where the fancystats say it should be: Bettman .500.

That’s the thing about Lady Luck – she’s as bitchy as Karma, and fickle to boot.

82. G Money says:

Adam Wu: Scoring a goal is a negative possession play, since you start the play with possession, and at the end of the play, you don’t have possession any more….

Not exactly. You don’t have possession any more, but as the next play starts with a faceoff, the other team doesn’t automatically have possession either.

Pretty good tradeoff!

83. 9,998,383,750,001 says:

su_dhillon:

I think you need to study butter. Drai is getting a mixture of warm butter minutes, cold butter minutes, and frozen butter minutes (when it can’t be avoided). What’s he not getting are the post-Chernobyl Arctic igloo glowing-Reindeer butter minutes (woolly mammoth butter remains radiation free, but it’s legendarily hard to procure).

Drai will be seeing plenty of frozen butter minutes—and almost loving it—by the winter solstice.

What’s irking you is that Eakins already trusts Drai more than you wish he did. He’s trusting Drai to progress on the defensive side of the puck much faster than Taylor Hall.

Nuge in his rookie season arrived at many battles he couldn’t win. If Drai can get to the battle, he’s got a fair chance of sawing it off or at least slowing it down. A quick mind with sluggish feet is not coming off the ice very often asking his linemates “what just happened out there?” Even barge poles have a silver lining.

If he plays a somewhat N-S game (by the standards of a C) from red zone to red zone, and he lingers usefully at both ends—the Nuge does not linger—he can expend a lot of calories (his own as well as his opponent’s) without having air scoops on his anchors. On the downside, his veteran wingers will need to widen their lanes, but on the plus side, the play doesn’t die on his stick when possession needs to cross the ice.

As he continues to acclimate, it’s not going to remain a steady diet of lobster and crab’s legs served up with a personal butter boat. Sooner than you suspect, Drai’s giant fuzzy-bib soft parade will be snuffed by that captive bell and chain thingy. I foresee on the night of the rookie dinner that his wingers will be eating three lobsters each. Drai will be going “let me show you how the bell thingy works”. For the good of the team. “Your call, Drai. You can snuff out ces petits fours if you want to.” Drai hesitates for the briefest moment. “Ah, non? Garçon! More lobster!”

Waiter arrives, clicks heals. He can spot the rook from twenty paces.

“Oui oui? You have a request?”

“Mais non, garçon, it appears that our little fires went out.”

“Tres dommage! Can I interest you in a seven course dessert? Our crème brûlée is spectacularly crunchy tonight. Two each, oui oui?”

Drai smartly decides to endure reparations with a stiff upper lip, emitting at most the muffled sounds of the monster in Young Frankenstein.

I think Drai is far more sheltered E-W than N-S. It’s the kind of shelter one finds in a Norwegian log cabin lacking hinges and doors—where the butter still gouges fjords in your toast at noon on the longest day of the year. Six months later—around the time when the mercury gives up and elects to hibernate—our fourth line will be out on the lake ice-fishing under the moonless quadrantids, while Drai’s teeth chatter in his cozy bunk even though he’s clad in a Tatra Mountain thermal undershirt and a pair of French Merino wool sweaters after gorging himself almost to bursting on a high-fat Muesli dinner.

Breakfast is a toasted whole wheat wrapped around hot bacon and rugged butter flints. Let it sit for a moment while the bacon exudes its sizzle, or you’ll end up chewing those flints of salty lard that once stood for easy street.

84. Riggy says:

doritogrande,

I didn’t see an answer to your comment about the illegal stick call, but i have only scanned the replies, apologies if already answered elsewhere; Marrincin lost his stick in the corner, and while the play continued he picked up a stick that was dropped by a Habs player.

85. nycoil says:

G Money:
    Marcus Oilerius,

Lots of it.

Yup!

nycoil:

86. icecastles says:

leadfarmer,
    khildahl,

I think you guys are massively misinterpreting what I said.

If you’ve spent any time here at all, you’d know I’ve never bought into the tough guy ‘grinder’ bullshit rhetoric.

Nice inflammatory trolling though.

87. rickithebear says:

Marcus Oilerius:
    Am I the only one who thinks we got lucky on this winning streak?No Hedman for Tampa, outplayed otherwise?

13-14 oilers versus the east wih Hall; RNH; Eberel; Perron; Yak
    13-5-4 .682%

13-14-& 14-15 with Hall; RNH; Eberle; Perron; Yak
    17-5-4 .731%

What do you think?

88. icecastles says:

Marcus Oilerius:

Sure, but there was also bad luck before that. The more I watch and coach hockey rather than play it like I used to, the more I love the adage that “you have to be good to be lucky; you have to be lucky to be good.”

Though mostly I maintain that if it works against the Oilers, it’s bad luck. If it works in the Oilers’ favour, it’s nothing but skill and awesomeness. That’s MY definition of “because Oilers”. 🙂

89. theres oil in virginia says:

icecastles: I recall Joni Pitkannen being particularly infuriating for that. “Flu-like symptoms” (as reported) would have that dude in the press box for three games at a time. Imagine that happening with Jason Smith.

You wonder why these guys “play through it” so often? Maybe because if they come out of the game and both of their legs are still attached, people start asking questions about their “compete level”. On the other hand, if they don’t come out and they further injure themselves, then people start asking questions about why the organization pushes their players to play injured.

90. icecastles says:

theres oil in virginia: Victor Fasth trying to “play through” a groin pull would have him sitting in the press box for far longer than three games. Playing through it isn’t always the best call, and it’s got nothing to do with “quit”.

Okay, this is getting ridiculous. Someone is going to have to quote the line where I suggested Fasth should play through an injury or where I even used the goddamn word “quit”. For christ sakes, people. It appears 17 times in this thread, and never once by me.

Read my posts. Or, since that appears too difficult for some, I will paste in my comments about Fasth “faking an injury”:

“We don’t really have any facts to support or dismiss the theory and one has to think that if he’s made it this far as a hockey player, he has a hell of a lot more battle level than that.”

“I choose not to believe it [faking or milking an injury] though, if for no other reason than (1) we don’t have any evidence of that, (2) he’s a pro hockey player, not a kid, and (3) I don’t want to.”

Here was my most recent comment on coming back early, which i apparently think players are supposed to do to prove their toughness:

[responding to GMoney’s comment that the Oilers often make a habit of rushing players back]
    “Good to hear. And yes, one can only hope that after so many blunders, that lesson has been learned.”

“Frank The Dog”:

If I made a list of things that are said like this about European players and compared it to the list of things that are said like this about North American players, what would the ratio be?

5,000 to 1 would be my conservative guess. Bias you’re drunk, go home.

92. hunter1909 says:

icecastles: Okay, this is getting ridiculous.

Learn to relax.

93. Numenius says:

icecastles: Has there been ANY update on his progress? Maybe the team’s pulling another Souray and there’s no update because everyone forgot to call him….

Yes. Eakins mentioned Fasth in almost all of his pressers since the injury.

94. book¡je says:

icecastles,

I think the real question is, Why do you hate Europeans so much?

95. khildahl says:

icecastles,

We all responded to the following:
    “I don’t think anyone was proposing that he may have faked the injury, not at all. But some guys try to finish the game on a broken ankle, some guys head to the dressing room when their arches are sore. Resilience, pain threshold, battle level, recovery time, however one couches it, vary by player.

I recall Joni Pitkannen being particularly infuriating for that. “Flu-like symptoms” (as reported) would have that dude in the press box for three games at a time. Imagine that happening with Jason Smith.”

96. theres oil in virginia says:

icecastles: Okay, this is getting ridiculous. Someone is going to have to quote the line where I suggested Fasth should play through an injury or where I even used the goddamn word “quit”.

Ha! Frank the Dog skated you right into that one. However, you did nothing to avoid the goalie, so you still get the penalty:

icecastles: I don’t think anyone was proposing that he may have faked the injury, not at all. But some guys try to finish the game on a broken ankle, some guys head to the dressing room when their arches are sore. Resilience, pain threshold, battle level, recovery time, however one couches it, vary by player.

😉

97. book¡je says:

Marcus Oilerius:

Please stop talking and go away.

98. nycoil says:

Hey, let’s all change the subject. How about the Kings with Lombardi, best GM in hockey?
    Can only ice 17 guys tonight.

99. hunter1909 says:

Carpetbagger MacT with his online MBA has added 1/3 of a whole team of very real NHL hockey players to the usual fiasco of Oilers; add the natural growth of the kids and the new generation led by Yaks+Draisraitl and last night they 100% schooled the 7-1 Eastern Conference leading Montreal effing Canadiens.

The entire game I saw(last 3 minutes of the 1st onward) had Oilers basically daring the habs to attack them, while showing nerves of steel in front of their goal. It wasn’t a fluke. Teams just can’t do this kind of thing. Not against first class opposition like Montreal gave. Pity about their fans though – they treat the habs with too much reverence. They looked like they were at a funeral. Oh well.

Suddenly I feel good again about my pre-season prediction and even if they bust a little against the West, its not like they’re going back to the bad old days with Ryan Jones’ driving Woodguy insane.

100. icecastles says:

hunter1909: Learn to relax.

In this case, I think you might be the pot AND the kettle.

Numenius: The story was that Fasth heard a ‘pop’ and took himself out because he knew they can often be serious. When they did an MRI, they found it wasn’t that bad, and Fasth was also recovering quickly anyway. More recently, he’s been skating with the team, but is not quite cleared to go yet.

That’s got to be a scary moment for any player, let alone someone so utterly dependent on mobility and flexibility to play his position. Hopefully they have enough confidence in Scrivens (most certainly) and Bachman (unknown – I believe he has yet to play a game this year and the longer the wait, the more hesitant they’ll be to throw him in) that they make sure he’s 100% before putting him back in the lineup.

The verbal from management for the last few years has been to ensure that their players are fully recovered and to not rush anyone back, but it seems that at every turn, there is another report (third hand mostly, but still…) of someone being pushed to rush their return timeline. Most recent being Renney’s indirect comments about being pressured to overuse a post-surgery Nuge and Hall.

101. book¡je says:

“Steve Smith”:
    engineer,

102. hunter1909 says:

nycoil:
    Can only ice 17 guys tonight.

Kings are 2x champs. Regular season is nearly meaningless to them.

103. "Frank The Dog" says:

G Money:
    “Frank The Dog”,

I wouldn’t want to draw the parallels between last year and this year too far.

By the time the goaltending sorted itself out, the season was already done and then worse still, Eakins & co. lost the courage of their convictions and changed their systems to be overly conservative, at which point the Corgi’s took a massive dive.Dellow deconstructed this, primarily around faceoff strategy, in painful detail.Can pinpoint it almost to the day:Dec 5th.

Many have mistakenly construed this to be an East/West Conference thing, which is not supported by the data – the Oiler Corgi’s were reasonably decent against both E/W opponents prior to Dec 5th, and reasonably horrible against both E/W teams after.There were more East opponents before, but that seems to be a red herring.

We’ve already seen two massive differences so far this year:

– the goaltending has righted itself within five games.Obviously, Scrivens needs to keep it up.But worth remembering that the Positive Corgi Oilers were batting about .300 Bettman, while the Negative Corgi Oilers With Scrivens were batting close to .500 Bettman. Goaltending matters!!!!

– the defensive breakdowns are not nearly as common, nor nearly as glaring this year.This team finally understands that home plate needs to be covered at all times, and they’re working hard to try and make that so.

When Montreal started to push hard last night and the Oilers went into a defensive shell after going up 2-0, they actually managed to weather the storm.I’m positive they would have lost that game last year.

So there is no need change the systems.

I think you’re right and I’ve taken the tar off the stove, but I’m not planning the parade either.
    Cautiously optimistic.

104. icecastles says:

theres oil in virginia: Other than not using the word “quit”, this sounds pretty much like you might be questioning whether the guy quit. Get in the box and quit arguing, or you’ll get the extra two.

I can see your point, and I understand your reading of what I said. But my meaning was essentially the opposite. There is a world of difference between something like recovery time (which is largely genetic) and something like “quit”. I was trying to express that there is a spectrum here and it’s open to interpretation. The point of all that being that what one person may see as “battle level” or “quit” can just as easily be propensity for injury or recovery time.

For example, I have this shitty thing called Marfan’s Syndrome. It leads to all sorts of wonderful things like spontaneous pneumothorax (collapsed lungs), heart murmers, hypermobility in the joints, and detached retinas. It also means my body takes FOREVER to close a wound and heal. Needless to say, I’ve had some horrendous injuries in my life and despite a high pain threshold, some comparatively minor things have taken me a very long time to bounce back from.

So some might look at me and think (real life example: “Holy shit what a wimp. He just walked off the job site because that lumber was too heavy to carry.” Whereas the person administering the MRI said “holy shit you ripped your shoulder clean out of its socket AND tore the tendons in your wrist.” The outsider may call it battle level. In some cases they could be, by virtue of chance, correct. In many more cases though, they’re making assumptions without all the necessary information.

Now that I have made more clear that I don’t think Fasth is faking, I don’t think he’s a wimp, and I don’t think anyone should rush their recovery process, hopefully people can stop telling me that I think those things.

Gazdic however, is totally faking about his shoulder. That guy’s such a pansy.

105. hunter1909 says:

Right now, playoffs look like a distinct probability. Hard to imagine Taylor Hall watching Seguin in Dallas 9 games into the season; and mentally planning his April golf game.

106. hunter1909 says:

“Frank The Dog”: Cautiously optimistic.

Sensible.

107. Pouzar says:

Nikita Nikitin’s initially undisclosed injury is actually back spasms.

Nikitin will probably have an MRI. He didn’t take part in Monday’s contest and wasn’t on the ice for Tuesday’s practice.

Source: Oilers.nhl.com on Twitter

108. icecastles says:

hunter1909: Right now, playoffs look like a distinct probability

Last year, someone did a breakdown showing that by a certain point in the season, and I forget if it was the Christmas break or the trade deadline, the majority of playoff teams were statistically unlikely to change from their current positions. In other words if a team wasn’t in the top eight at Christmas, they weren’t going to be in the top eight in April.

Somewhat obvious perhaps, but it was sobering to realize that the “late season run” is about as realistic as the “President’s Trophy curse”. If we’re not competitive through the first 41 games, miracles aren’t going to happen in the final 41.

What a breath of fresh air to realize that by the end of our first 41, we might actually be looking at a team that’s learned how to remain competitive. The big tell will be to see if they can retain their composure and structure when they inevitably lose a couple or have the luck go against them for a stretch. hopefully they’re finally finding the confidence and identity that will give them some of the resiliency they’ve long been in search of.

109. Adam Wu says:

hunter1909: Kings are 2x champs. Regular season is nearly meaningless to them.

But one of these days, this pattern could come back to bite them, and a confluence of back luck and unexpected events will result in them actually just missing the playoffs thanks to passing up on too many points earlier in the season, when they otherwise would have been set for another deep run.

110. stush18 says:

icecastles: Bachman is a call-up from the AHL. Scrivens is an NHL starter. Scrivens’ save percentage in his last 5 games is 1.000, .900, .941, .917,.966. No way on Gord’s green earth do you sit him for Bachman.

Edit: I misremembered slightly. that amazing game last year (Oct 27 against LA) wasn’t a win for Bachman. He posted a .979 in an overtime loss. Stopped 47 consecutive shots in regulation. His next two Oilers games were .846 and .778.

I think that bachman may have been a victim of the team in front of him too, no? I would play ben against nashville. Dont think bachman covers enough net to stop webers one timer. Then play bachman and lets scrivs rest for the start of the road trip.

111. icecastles says:

Pouzar: Nikita Nikitin’s initially undisclosed injury is actually back spasms.

Eat bananas! If only he’d read the LT thread last week. (not mocking – you guys genuinely gave a lot of fantastic and helpful advice)

hunter1909:

Hard to imagine Taylor Hall thinking of Tyler Seguin at all. This is a ridiculous statement you’re making.

113. hunter1909 says:

icecastles: What a breath of fresh air to realize that by the end of our first 41, we might actually be looking at a team that’s learned how to remain competitive.

I’m currently waiting to see how they play against Nashville. After that, another 10 games making it 20. From what I know about sports, Oilers are suddenly able to scare the daylights out of anyone; anyone that’s not totally prepared to kill them. They’re now out of the “wimp” stage; now more like kid brother that no one notices stage.

I just have to count the Oiler players who knew how to play NHL hockey last night to understand they’re potentially out of the McDavid sweeps. Finally, it hardly matters whether or not the Taylor Hall line scores. I mean, wtf??

Adam Wu: In both of their championship seasons (I think), they barely squeaked into the playoffs, and then took off. (Or more accurately perhaps they ramped up to the playoffs during the latter portion of the regular season).

Absolutely possible. But, it’s not like they’re not going to be contending for the next 3-5, regardless of any single season anomaly.

114. spoiler says:

icecastles: Most recent being Renney’s indirect comments about being pressured to overuse a post-surgery Nuge and Hall.

He felt the resulting injuries to Hall and Nuge backed up his philosophy.

He also stated he was never pressured to play the kids too much or too soon after injury.

115. icecastles says:

stush18: Just cuz scrivs is hot doesnt mean he isnt human. You cant sprint a marathon and think oh im doing well may as well keep sprinting. Scrivs is going to need rest, despite his numbers and play doing so well. I agree it depends on how close fasth is, but play it smart. No need to start running scrivs into the ground this early into the season.

Very true. And there are VERY few goalies in the NHL who have managed relentless consecutive starts without it wearing them down. It’s a fine line between icing the best possible lineup (play the best goalie) in every individual game, and managing your roster in such a way as to not sacrifice the February-April wins by exhausting your players for 2 more points in October (rest and look after your best goalie instead of running him ragged).

I have no idea what Frederich Chabot is like as a goalie coach, but I assume he is the go-to guy for these sorts of decisions. It’s hard to blame him for the… lack of success among our home-grown goalies (most notable DD and JDD), but I am constantly reminded of the interview with the goalie coach in Nashville after they acquired Dubnyk.

Can’t get the link to load for me (try it here, but IIRC the message was basically that Dubs came in with a LOT of very bad habits that they had to try freeing him from. One has to think that’s at least partly on the goaltending coach.

116. icecastles says:

spoiler: Renney recanted this position in a follow-up interview by Matheson a few days after. The translation mis-quoted him. He was trying to protect their young bodies and minds from future injuries by giving them lesser minutes and safer situations in which to learn the game.

Oh god, that’s a relief to hear. It did seem like an odd thing to say… and some very awkward wording as well. Didn’t know it was a translation.

Renney is such an entirely classy guy and is doing so well now, I was a bit surprised to see him willing to address it at all. Of all the coaches fired, he’s the only one I think could have done good things with the team given another season (still firmly believe Eakins to be the strongest HC hire since MacT though)

117. Bar_Qu says:

icecastles: I don’t even want to entertain this thought because of the emotional roller coaster entailed but how fantastic it is to think about (and how sad that in recent years we’ve come to a point as fans that we realize by November when the playoffs probably aren’t possible!)

Its not a guarantee to make it, but it is a significant obstacle to be past early in the season.

118. CrazyCoach says:

book¡je: By 2018, the term will have morphed into Onions we will be talking about how many Onions Hall hung on his belt tonight. Its all part of the evolutionary linguistics of LT’s site.

I imagine onions fastened to your belt will be a fashion statement again one day.

119. OilClog says:

hunter1909:

I’ve seen some terrible comments, made some terrible comments.. But this is comment kill of the month. I’m surprised either your phone or computer didnt reach out and smack you with a 9 iron.

120. Adam Wu says:

Bar_Qu: Elliotte Friedman said that if a team is out by more than 4 pts by Nov 1 they are almost guaranteed to miss the playoffs. I forget the exact numbers but it was somthing like 4 of 50 teams overcame that to make the playoffs.

Beware the correlation = causation fallacy! The most significant obstacle may not be the fact that the team is more than 4 pts out by Nov 1, but rather the reasons that they are 4 points out around Nov 1….

121. nycoil says:

hunter1909: Kings are 2x champs. Regular season is nearly meaningless to them.

122. leadfarmer says:

Pouzar,

That weak, lazy Euro trash. If he was a good -ole Western Canadian kid he would of told his back to stop spasming and gone out and scored 4 goals, and in return made all the European players on the other team have back spasms the next day.

123. rickithebear says:

Holland Detroit GM:
    5 points out at US Thanksgiving!

124. icecastles says:

leadfarmer:
    Pouzar,

That weak, lazy Euro trash.If he was a good -ole Western Canadian kid he would of told his back to stop spasming and gone out and scored 4 goals, and in return made all the European players on the other team have back spasms the next day.

You’re trolling this Euro thing pretty hard and waiting for someone to bite, but I don’t think there’s anyone on this site who actually has the Don Cherry mindset.

125. icecastles says:

Ah, that was the one, thanks. Damn sobering stat.

Still, it’s obviously BS. Friedman should know there are only 30 teams in the league, not 50. 😀

126. leadfarmer says:

icecastles,

127. SwedishPoster says:

Hello Lowetide. Long time lurker. First time poster. Hi mom!

Just dropping by to drop some wisdom. On the case of Fasth. Just to stifle any idea of him not having bounce back or easily surrender to injuries. He was a late bloomer, didn’t enter the SHL until the age of 28, much due to injuries early in his career. Add to that him coming from a smaller team, he’s had to fight hard for every single opportunity in his career. When he was 25 he played third tier hockey in Sweden, which is barely semi-pro, I’ve played briefly on that level as an 18 yo, it’s a looooong way from the NHL, Cam Abney would probably be a superstar. The season after he got a chance in Allsvenskan, the league under the SHL, and had a great year just to get injured again the season after. But he kept on keeping on, played good enough to make the SHL at 28 and the rest is history.
    This guy has beaten the odds and injuries his whole career. From a pure hockey perspective(Brandon Davidson has probably beaten tougher times on a personal level)he’s likely the guy who’s had the biggest mountain to climb out of ALL players on our roster to get where he is, here and in the AHL.

misfit:
    40 points from Draisaitl would be heaven.Barkov put up 24 (36 point pace) a year ago at the same age and I think he had a pretty solid year.If Draisaitl can have a comparable year, it sets him up well going forward.I don’t think he’s quite the same level of talent, but he’s getting more of a push.

Draisaitl is less than two months younger than Barkov. They are basically the same age this season. Barkov was one of the youngest players in his draft year; Draisaitl one of the oldest.

129. nycoil says:

SwedishPoster,

Thanks for that, and welcome!

SwedishPoster:
    Hello Lowetide. Long time lurker. First time poster. Hi mom!

Thanks, and welcome!

131. icecastles says:

leadfarmer: Not trolling you. Just poking fun at people in general. There have been recent comments like what kind of injury is a groin pull, and how does a goalie pull his groin. Just making fun of the situation thats all. My point overall is that the difference for these guys between being at 90 % and 100% is big enough that they cant do their job at an NHL level.

Okay, fair enough. And totally agreed about the difference between 90% and 100% at the NHL level.

It’s like Paul Coffee obsessing over the radius at which his skates were sharpened or swimmers and cyclists shaving their legs (weird analogy but I started growing a beard by accident and now all my thoughts are about shaving because I’m SO FUCKING ITCHY). for the average Joe, the difference may be negligible. But when you reach a certain level of performance, it’s ALL about details and subtlety.

Even a slightly restricted range of motion or reaction time is the difference between an NHL starter and an AHL callup. And that’s before factoring in pain, delayed healing time, prolonged injury, etc.

Additionally, it’s easy to underestimate the MENTAL impact of an injury, even though we see it all the time. A bit of a tweak can have you holding back or being unable to commit to a twist, a lunge, a shot etc because your body is subconsciously trying to stop you from exacerbating an injury.

It would be fascinating to see a study done where actual output level is compared against theoretic potential performance level post-injury across various disciplines. I wouldn’t be surprised to see an athlete at, say, 75% of his theoretical strength, range of motion, response time etc, actually only perform at 65-70%.

No idea how such a study would be conducted, but it would provide enormous insight and lend a great deal of credence to sports psychology which it seems is still enormously undervalued by the “suck it up and grind it out” crowd.

132. rickithebear says:

2 cup wins!

The LAK model is.
    1. do not pay a D for PP points.
    2. Get very good Box d so you get low EVGA/60
    3. Get the best EVG producing players available at the cheapest cap hit.

paying Subban 9m with 2.60 EVGA/60facing 2nds
    requires a
    1st lineproducing forward meaning a likely cap hit of 4.5 to 5M

So 14m to break even facing 2nd comp.

Or

lombardi system.
    you pay Muzzin 4M with a 1.43 EVGA/60 facing 1st comp
    requires a player like
    Dwye(.9M)r; Jeonsuu(.9m); Bouma(.775M)
    4.9M to kick the snot out of the other teams best!

it aint Simulator generation with 3M plus points to be confirmed!

133. icecastles says:

SwedishPoster:
    Hello Lowetide. Long time lurker. First time poster. Hi mom!

To me, that’s twice as impressive a story as someone who enters via the draft. Thanks for the player history, SwedishPoster! Very interesting and I suspect none of us knew quite how far he climbed at such a late point. Goalies seem to be the most likely to be late bloomers (Roli and Thomas as standout examples) but it’s still incredibly rare. Anxious to see him able to play again.

134. Adam Wu says:

nycoil: That has ZERO to do with my point. The point was even the best GM in hockey can find himself in tough situations. It’s an example of what can happen when you have no wiggle room under the cap. One which the Oilers should keep in mind while people talk about having the cap space so it is okay to overpay.

135. SwedishPoster says:

icecastles,

A nice twist is that he worked as a temp teacher in his early career so we got “The Professor” and “The Teacher” as our goaltending duo.

136. icecastles says:

SwedishPoster:
    icecastles,

Ha! beauty.

137. Melman says:

Hey gang – shot in the dark, but does anyone have a link to the gif that was up on the Oilers website of Halls’ pass to Eberle from the Canes game?

138. nycoil says:

Adam Wu: As they say, there is always a level of misfortune for which no amount of preparation can overcome….

I know all about that, actually.
    Anyhow, it was an attempt to stop the bickering that was going on just before that.

139. nycoil says:

rickithebear,

Yup, that’s why the Oilers are paying Schultz too much money!

140. Kert says:

Melman,

There’s two gifs here:

One of those the angles you’re after?

141. icecastles says:

Kert:
    Melman,

There’s two gifs here:
    One of those the angles you’re after?

Dang. That’s a Daniel & Henrick level passing play, there.

142. commonfan14 says:

OilClog: hunter1909:

Not sure what people are taking offense to about that. Hyper-competitive athletes definitely measure themselves against their contemporaries and use it as fuel to push themselves.

143. CrazyCoach says:

SwedishPoster: If there is any concerns with Fasth it’s his ability to stay healthy but outside of last season he’s stayed pretty healthy since 09-10. Here’s to hoping. He was a machine on a lousy team in the SHL.

Which teams did he play for in the Eliteseren and All Svenskan?

144. icecastles says:

commonfan14: Is there a different way to read hunter’s comment than that he thinks Hall will push himself even harder and be more focused on dragging the team to the playoffs from watching the hype around Seguin in Dallas so far this year?

I generally do my best to disagree with Hunter (and he does his best to disagree with me) but I’m with you here – I read his comment the exact same way and don’t see anything wrong with what he wrote. I’m not sure Hall spends much time thinking specifically about Seguin, but as a more general idea (that of his competitive fire fueling him to be playing hockey rather than golf in the spring), it seems like a fair comment.

I would never propose that Hall needs to find another gear. He’s an absolute force of nature. But I get the sense that were the Oilers to make the playoffs, he’d show us even more than we’ve already seen. The dynasty-era comparisons get tired, but he’s got that Messier competitiveness in him. He is one of the few guys in the league who can truly carry a team on his back.

145. icecastles says:

CrazyCoach: Which teams did he play for in the Eliteseren and All Svenskan?

2000/01: Brooklyn Tigers (Div.2 youth affiliate of Luleå HF)
    2001/02: Vänersborgs HC (3rd Tier div.1)
    2002/03-2003/04: Tvåstad Cobras HC (Div.2)
    2004/05:-2006/07: Tingsryds AIF (Div.1)
    2007/08-2009/10: Växjö Lakers Hockey (Div.1)
    20010/11-2011/12: AIK (Elitserien)
    2012 -present: NHL

146. corykg says:

CrazyCoach: Which teams did he play for in the Eliteseren and All Svenskan?

Some info on wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viktor_Fasth

147. CrazyCoach says:

Thanks Ice Castles and Cory KG.

Lulea is way up North.

At least he’ll be used to cold Northern winters.

148. Melman says:

Kert,

Thanks a bunch – I’m trying to pull out just the video gif from that page. Is that possible?

149. stush18 says:

icecastles,

Id have to agree about DD. Especially since hes been playing well in arizona.

150. gcw_rocks says:

The I have been loving the media analysis on Leon. Well, they don’t have another option (because the GM didn’t get one) so they have to keep him.

Then the oilers will turn around and say that he earned the spot.