HE SHALL BE LEON

draisaitl capture2

Leon Draisaitl is playing well. He appears to be getting better by the game, and on Saturday night he made a terrific play on the David Perron 2-2 goal against Vancouver. The Oilers are going to need offense from Draisaitl’s line, on the road, in the coming weeks. Let’s have a look to see how he’s progressing.

LEON DRAISAITL 14-15

• 5×5 points per 60: 1.49 (6th among regular forwards)
  • 5×4 points per 60: 2.10 (5th among regular forwards)
  • Qual Comp: 3rd easiest among regular forwards (BTN)
  • Qual Team: 11th best teammates among regular forwards (BTN)
  • Corsi Rel: 9.7 (third best among regular forwards) (BTN)
  • Corsi for % 5×5: 52.2
  • Zone Start: 79.2% (easiest among regular forwards)
  • Shots on goal/percentage: 17/5.88%
  • Boxcars: 11, 1-3-4 (on pace for 82, 7-22-29)

I think you can justify the investment in Draisaitl if he can deliver enough offense, and I’ve suggested 1.50/60 at evens would be acceptable. Leon’s there now, but these are early days. The calculations that included Leon on this team also had Taylor Hall pushing the river offensively. I’ll be very interested in seeing how close to 1.50 Draisaitl is when Hall returns. This road trip is going to be a good test for the big center. I have to say he’s been fun to watch on this home stand.

I think not having the Hall cover may mean a tough month for Leon Draisaitl. It will certainly be a monumental challenge.

petry screen shot 3

A story from Jim Matheson of the EJ about Jeff Petry is an absolute must-read today. In the article, Matty talks about the difficulty Petry has had with the fanbase, and gives us this incredible news about the player:

• Representatives from the Newport Sports agency that represents him was in Edmonton in force a few days ago, presumably to feel out a new contract. If he’s a second pairing defenceman, he’s probably making $4 million a year or so, judging by contracts around the league.

What does this mean? It MEANS, that despite the one-year deal, despite the massive group of fans who don’t and haven’t appreciated him, Jeff Petry had his agency come to town to presumably “feel out a new contract.” $4 million a year? I don’t think that gets it done, but hopefully Petry will hear some cheers and have success this winter, signing a long-term deal in the summer (before free agency) with the Oilers.

If the Oilers are going to have success 2016-2021, and that is far from certain, they simply cannot afford to let talented players leave them for less than full value. And since the rebuild phase is (should be) over, then a draft pick in return doesn’t help push the river. I’ve mentioned “controlled rebuild” previously, and for me Petry is a prime example of that idea. IF the Oilers are genuinely interested in turning north today and in the future, a signed Jeff Petry makes so much sense. If they’re still somewhat attached to the idea of McDavid—Eichel—Hanifan, then it doesn’t matter in the same way trading Dustin Penner for Oscar Klefbom didn’t matter: You’re building for a distant tomorrow.

In a way, the Taylor Hall injury gives us a chance to see how serious the Oilers are about 2014-15. If the club runs as-is, loses six of seven, then makes no attempt to improve the lineup, we have our answer. That old Chinese curse—”May you live in interesting times”—appears to have season tickets at Rexall for Oilers games.

ference kassian

A few news items to follow today:

• Andrew Ference hearing, via rotary dial. I expect one game and wouldn’t be shocked by three games. Either way, you will never read a critical word from the blog’s author on the play. Reckless? Sure. Angry? Suspect so. Intent? Kassian would have been injured if that were the mindset.
  • Brad Hunt clearing waivers. It probably happens just this way, but you never know with defensemen. Not ever. And goalies too. Oilers once lost Steve Valiquette for crying out loud.
  • Oilers may make another move today. Ference, if suspended, will (I believe) remain on the roster, but Edmonton both waived Brad Hunt and IR’d Niki Nikitin yesterday, making room for a recall of another blue if necessary. I’m hoping it’s Jordan Oesterle, Martin Gernat or David Musil, suspect it’ll be Hunt.
  • Oilers may make another another move today. Hall will have to be placed on IR, meaning a recall is required. I’m cheering loudly for Iiro Pakarinen (he would be our first Iiro, but not the first Iiro in the NHL). I also think it makes sense to recall Anton Lander, but Luke Gazdic is the most likely recall based on the Oilers own established past.

rnh barons1

HOW DO I FEEL ABOUT THE NEXT FOUR WEEKS?

Surprisingly positive. There’s a sense (imo) in Oilersnation that the Flames are going to make the playoffs and the Oilers will roll back down the hill to 28th, and after these years of suffering that’s understandable. The Canucks are looking strong strong strong, and the Oilers have been up and down like a yo-yo:

• 0-4-1 start
  • 4-0 middle
  • 0-2 lately

However, there are signs of improvement in this team. Their Corsi is No. 19 overall (49.32) and there are some good performances (Nuge, Marincin-Fayne) going on. I think the Oilers can weather this storm and be alive when Hall returns. They are 4-6-1 now, and if they go 5-7-2 in their next 14 without Hall, the club will arrive at the 25-game mark with a 9-13-3 total (7-16-2 one year ago). I don’t think Oilers fans expect the playoffs (I predicted 10th in the conference, 20th overall) but improvement season over season is vital.

This is an opportunity for Nuge to lead the way. That’s a good thing.

Ladies and Gentlemen, The Fabulous Stains (Lou Adler, 1981)

LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE

At 10 this morning, we hit the air on TSN 1260. Scott Burnside begins things, we’ll talk Hall injury, Ference hearing and all things NHL. Corey Pronman from ESPN will join us around 10:20 for a look at the top 10 outside McDavid, Eichel and Hanifan. At 11, Dennis King roars in on a monster chopper to deliver the gospel to a waiting city, and at 11:25 I’m looking at having a football guest (the situation is fluid).

10-1260 text, @Lowetide_ on twitter. See you on the radio!

102 Responses to "HE SHALL BE LEON"

1. Racki says:

Always irks me when a player feels the negativity directed at them from this fan base. Petry is the goat now, as we know. When he’s gone, it will be someone else. This city needs their goats. Sucked when a pretty amicable guy in Ryan Jones shut down his twitter because the fan base was being abusive to him. These guys are human too, and it’s counterproductive to rip on them behind a keyboard (or boo at a game), imho. The odd time isn’t so bad, but it gets to the point with some of them where one small mistake is made into a giant season ending blunder.

Hopefully Petry gets a good contract, and sticks to keeping off twitter.

2. 9,998,383,750,001 says:

Now would be a fine time for Yak to pull a sprig of USP out of his fickle bag of tricks (Unsustainable Shooting Percentage). People keep saying “you’ve had three first overall picks” as if all of these things are just like the others. Well folks, if ever there was a grain of truth to the lumping mystique, I’d love to see it starting RFN.

3. frjohnk says:

Put yourself in Petry’s shoes.

Would you stay if

Part of the fanbase has turned on you so much you had to turn off your twitter?

Team is still a ways from competing for a playoff spot?

Team Management has not valued you as an integral piece? ( Healthy scratch, lowest paid D man other than Marincin)

Petry getting his agency here is just a nice gesture, just to see where the oilers stand. But make no mistake, he is going to free agency. Then he will get a fresh start from the fan base, probably on a playoff team and most likely well compensated. This is all something the oilers can not provide right now.

4. Ice Sage says:

Sometimes a road trip is exactly the remedy needed.

As for Hall’s injury, at least the Oilers have some serviceable options this time around.

Go to the net, boys!

5. Stanley 2018 says:

Will definitely help Oilers to be playing Eastern Conference next 2 wks. I’m guessing Hall will be back sooner rather than later. Can someone make this kid a suit of head-to-toe body armor? He’ll be done by 28 way he’s going.

That said, Oilers going to have a tough next few days. Everybody says Oilers have some depth at D with all the kids coming up, and now it’s time to find out. I think Klefbom will do us just fine. If Hunt was the best option, God help us.

If the Oilers are going to sign Petry, they have to do it sooner rather than later. Some desperate team will offer him $5MM long term if he goes to FA and we’ll be left with Schultz as a permanent 2nd pairing. Sign him now, overpay him a little. Unlike Schultz he’s earned it.

I agree with the Iiro call up. Sounds like the more exciting option, and probably best for Eastern Conference match-ups. Should have been Yakimov. Tough break for the guy.

6. frjohnk says:

Stanley 2018:

Petry cant be signed to an extension till after Jan 1st I believe.

7. Hazwasted says:

I agree with Racki, all too often the small but vocal (and sometimes rude and ignorant) fanbase is led down the path by the MSM. Probably the reason Lowetide has become THE haven for level headed discussion about our favourite team. The article by Matty is a good first step in changing the direction of the negative rhetoric which has been spewed about Oilerland over the past few years about Petry. He has been played higher in the order than he should be but there is no doubt he is a super solid second pair defenceman and mght even be a top pairing guy if paired with a true number 1.

I hope they can get a deal done as losing him will set this team back yet again and with patience growing short everywhere, it is only a matter of time before the Aces and Kings see they aren’t getting the support they need to succeed.

Keep singing it from upon high LT, hopefully the Kingsway Crew will finally listen (again)!

8. "Frank The Dog" says:

There’s this thing called integrity. In this instance it means building the most competitive roster available within the limits of salary cap, and players wanting to play here, and it means icing the best combination of players available from the roster you are given.

I cannot believe that the Oilers have honestly iced the best players available from their roster from te start of the season until now. I respect some of Eakins’ improved deployment especially the forwards. How much of that respect I retain depends on how they adjust to the loss of Taylor Hall and Andrew Ference.

We’ll see. Just win. That’s all tat’s needed. The rest is noise.

9. Bruce McCurdy says:

It’s a slippery slope. It was a “hockey play” in the sense that when some guy takes liberties with you or your team, it’s a veteran move to take a number and say, “not right now, maybe not tonight, maybe not even this season, but some day sooner or later you’ll get yours.” It’s a mindset as old as the game itself. Ference strikes me as the type of guy who has a long memory and he is a competitive bastard to say the least.

Hard not to imagine that Ference knew exactly who it was he was lining up and put a little extra into the hit. Malicious? Maybe. Suspendable? Yes, these days. A hockey play? Absofuckinlutely.

10. Stanley 2018 says:

frjohnk,

Can’t ink a contract but they can make a handshake deal. If that’s what happens, would help Petry to know too so he can concentrate on Hockey and make all the MSM chatter no big deal.

11. flyfish1168 says:

Racki:

Hopefully Petry gets a good contract, and sticks to keeping off twitter.

Sad but true. I have always love watching Nicholas Lidstrom play. I believe we would have booed him out too since he never hit someone hard. I have my ideas why some hockey fans love the big hitters but we should appreciate the subtle little plays that lead to great plays. Nothing wrong with players that play the game in this fashion. JMHO

12. Hammers says:

Agree with you LT but in my trends of repeating myself getting Parkarinen would send a message to the fanbase that management intends to PLAY 4 lines . We are seeing corsi improvement but by eye we are seeing a team really develop . I don’t know if Eakins / Mct are on the same wave length but there getting to it with first Marincin up , then Hunt down , Klefbom up . If they start utilizing our players of the future I can live with the decisions .If there was ever a year to say to there core players we will get there and stay its this year I expected 84 points & 19th to 21st spot and still do . Sure I would like Petry signed and a proven center but i’m not a g.m. and have no idea how hard that is but show the steps . Leon will end with 40+ points if he keeps improving the way he has.

13. PunjabiOil says:

Good news concerning Petry. Might mean nothing, but doesn’t rule out the possibility there is interest from both sides.

The Oilers also probably realize replacing Petry won’t be as easy as they may have previously thought, and perhaps starting to realize (with the advanced stats) the scent of underwhelming play concerning Justin Schultz.

I would be very comfortable signing Boychuk next year, and look at moving Ference or perhaps considering buy-out. Justin Schultz should also be moved in a trade to help upfront.

14. leadfarmer says:

If you can sign him for 4 mil you do it without asking questions. Even anything under 5 i would be ok with. This team has been paying 3rd pairing guys 3 mil the last however many years.

15. PeOiler says:

Bruce McCurdy,

I like to think the Andrew Ference thought process went something like this:

“Hmm, Kassian over here huh? I could stick out my knee or put his shoulder out, but I don’t want to injure this caveman. If I smash him in the head/face, the brain damage will be nominal anyway.”

Then he sends Gags one of those winking smiley face texts.

16. gcw_rocks says:

“the reality is that this is only year four of the rebuild that started when we drafted Taylor Hall.” Daryl Katz

We are now in year five. How long before we are allowed to expect playoffs?

The Oilers themselves have said the change to MacT wasn’t a reboot, it was a continuation.

17. A'bunadh says:

A couple weeks ago I would have been happy for Ference to be out of the lineup, but playing with Petry he’s looked a lot better and doesn’t look in over his head like he did earlier on. A one game break won’t hurt him and if when he comes back we can run Ference/Petry, Marincin/Fayne, Klefbom/Jultz pairings we will finally be where we should have been to start the season.

18. RexLibris says:

Bruce McCurdy,

Agreed.

Our response to Kassian is probably a lot like many Eastern teams’ was to Avery.

Pure, unadulterated loathing.

Karma caught up somewhat with Avery, though not in the traditional “make him eat through a straw” kind of way.

I’m always reluctant to get too far down in the gutter with the Canucks given how those kinds of escalations have played out in that franchise’s history.

But I will say that having Kassian get clocked was almost, but not quite, as cathartic as the season opener where Eberle scored his career goal against the Flames and MacIntyre slobberknocked Ivanans, after what felt like a lifetime of it being the other way around.

19. theres oil in virginia says:

Bruce McCurdy,

NHL could deal with this issue correctly, if they really wanted to. As far as I can tell, though, they want this stuff in the game. The NHL’s own advertisement for the upcoming season included a bunch of big hits, a fight, and, oh yeah, I think there was a goal in there at the end. I was watching “NHL Tonight” a few games ago, and they were rounding up the injuries, including whoever John Moore took out with a hit to the head. There were about seven injuries, six of which should have included suspensions and game misconduct penalties, including hits to the head and knee-on-knee. The other one was a groin injury. The only suspension considered was Moore’s.

It’s NASCAR style, all the way. Yeehaw!

20. RexLibris says:

leadfarmer:
    If you can sign him for 4 mil you do it without asking questions.Even anything under 5 i would be ok with.This team has been paying 3rd pairing guys 3 mil the last however many years.

Give him Ehrhoff money and Ference term. Heck, throw in a NTC if you want. Given how fans abuse him in this city, if push comes to shove he’d probably happily waive it to join the ranks of Poti, Brewer, Gilbert and others.

21. Kmart99 says:

Bruce McCurdy:

This.

22. RexLibris says:

Looking over the standings this morning and taking into account that I agree with LT that the Oilers, in an optimistically objective world probably finish around 20th in the league.

So then, which teams appear thus far as likely to finish below the OIlers?

Buffalo, Carolina, Arizona seem fair and obvious.

Columbus, Winnipeg, Philadelphia, Washington and Florida seem reasonable though obviously not guaranteed.

We all believed Calgary would as well, and they may yet, but early indications suggest they could finish closer to the playoff cut line than anybody had anticipated.

So in their stead shall we suggest that one of Ottawa, Dallas, Colorado or the Rangers takes that spot?

This means we are left to ask whether the Edmonton Oilers can realistically be expected to be better than Buffalo, Carolina, Arizona, Columbus, Winnipeg, Philadelphia, Washington, Florida, and one of Ottawa-Dallas-Colorado-Rangers.

I don’t know the answer, but I am not confident on their chances at this moment.

23. czar says:

Is Bruce the best?

Absofuckinlutely!!

24. RexLibris says:

War on Ice has the Oilers at exactly the break-even point in Corsi right now, +1 and 17th overall, on the cusp where teams move from negative shot metrics to positive.

The table is almost entirely made up of data from a dozen games or fewer per team, but as Mrs. LT would say “start as you mean to go” and this start is heartening.

25. blainer says:

The team has improved. Its unfortunate that Yak hasn’t turned out like Hall as we would be in a much better place. Dry is looking good. Things would be much different if MacEakins had set the lineup correctly out of camp on D and we had gotten average NHL goaltending. Do not know where the whipping story about Petry is coming from. The oilogosphere loves this player.

Man if we are drafting 8th or tenth I would rather we just suck again and try to get McDavid. What I really want is for the team to be in a playoff hunt or make a trade to help us do so.. if management doesn’t have the stomach for such a trade then just go for McDavid or Echiel.

26. LMHF#1 says:

Three games: http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=737464

I hate the guy, but that is some BS right there, especially when compared to what has gone on in these Oilers vs. Canucks games recently.

27. RexLibris says:

Hoping for Oesterle out of OKC now.

I liked his work in TC and the way he played the game seemed like he’d be a quick study on how to play quiet minutes as a 3rd pairing guy, move the puck well, and keep his head up-ice.

28. theres oil in virginia says:

LMHF#1,

Thanks for the link. I’ve got no problem with the suspension for that hit. The problem I have is with the inconsistency that the NHL delivers this sort of punishment. The whole “repeat offender” thing is bit wonky too. It reminds me of the “3 strikes and you’re out” laws. Those were a smashing success, too. Why isn’t the offense graded without respect to who committed it?

29. Pouzar says:

Neal ‏@tweetneal 4m4 minutes ago
    Keith Aulie recalled by Oilers. File that under “safe choice”, which I suppose is okay for now. #OKCBarons

30. Pouzar says:

Neal ‏@tweetneal 28s29 seconds ago
    I struggle to find consistently good moments from Keith Aulie. I’d place Oesterle, Musil, Gernat higher on the success chart. #OKCBarons

31. vinotintazo says:

7# D replaced by Aulie, I really hope that Nikitin Plays tomorrow, since his IR day ends tomorrow because is retroactive right?

Also no foward recall?

32. fifthcartel says:

Pouzar,

The “safe choice” always seems to refer to a bad player who can’t score and/or has limited puck skills. Wonder if that ever changes.

33. Yeti says:

I’m surprised there’s much debate on this. Luke Gazdic simply has to be recalled. For the short term, what we lose on Taylor Hall’s offense will be quite comfortably made up for with Gazdic’s grit. That’s just the way hockey works.

34. vinotintazo says:

Pouliot-RNH-Ebs

1st line in practice, I think Pouliot is the closer thing to hall @ LW, speed, size anyways. I dont mind it.

35. Bag of Pucks says:

“When the play is in front of Petry, he’s very good. Great skater, good passer, but when it’s behind him, in his end, I’ve seen him having trouble,” said one veteran Western Conference scout. “He’s a second-pairing D in my estimation. On a really good team, he’d be a No. 5.”

Excellent assessment by this scout imo, though one wonders if the Oil seed this type of commentary with the MSM to benefit the contract negotiations?

36. Pouzar says:

Risto Pakarinen ‏@puckarinen 5m5 minutes ago
    Yes! I’m ready! Finally RT @BruceMcCurdy: CULT OF HOCKEY: Time for Oilers to give Pakarinen, Pinizzotto or Pitlick a shot? They’ve earned it

37. Pouzar says:

vinotintazo:
    Pouliot-RNH-Ebs

At first glance I like it for those reasons as well. Can always try Perron later if it doesn’t work.

38. Marcus Oilerius says:

39. Klima's_Bucket says:

Everyone raved about Stralman in the playoffs last year and Steve Yzerman was able to get him locked in at 4.5 million. Not much raving about Petry aside from Lowetide’s crew here so perhaps the Oilers could lock him in at a bit more than what Stralman received.

40. slopitch says:

Id stick with Yak and Drai together (with Pouliot) and give Perron 1LW till Hall is back. That #1 line is gonna need to play some hard minutes and Perron is better suited then Yak at this time.

I think Calgary is comparable to the Oilers. They have a legit #1 D pairing – and by legit its for sure top 10 in the league, maybe top 5. That caliber of D and good goaltending goes a long way to mask roster issues.

41. Bag of Pucks says:

vinotintazo:
    Pouliot-RNH-Ebs

This makes sense to me too. Hall is excellent at puck retrieval in the Ozone. The numbers would indicate Pouliot is too. Probably a better fit than Perron if they have any hopes of maintaining a cycle and not just being a one and done rush line.

Right now Eberle is a great finisher who’s absolutely lousy on the wall. Yak shows signs of getting good on the wall but can’t put the biscuit in the basket. Those two need to start playing a complete game asap or it’s going to be a long, long road trip.

Something tells me Perron and Drai could be a very good thing given time.

42. vinotintazo says:

Bag of Pucks,

I also think every line needs a fast guy that can be a back checker.

43. cahill says:

Kmart99: Absofuckinlutely.

Bruce, being the master wordsmith that you are. Can I use ‘Absofuckinlutely’ when enjoying an invigorating game of Scrabble with Nanna?

44. Pouzar says:

Tom Gazzola ‏@TomGazzola 40m40 minutes ago
    Nikita Nikitin working with the second power play unit this morning. Good sign he might be good to go or at least close.

45. Bag of Pucks says:

vinotintazo:
    Bag of Pucks,

I also think every line needs a fast guy that can be a back checker.

One guy on the line that back checks? That sounds about right for this team!

46. flyfish1168 says:

I heard a rumour Aulie was recalled. can anyone confirm this

Its on the Oiler website now. It is true

47. "Frank The Dog" says:

slopitch:

I’ve wanted to see Perron, Yak and Drai on the same line for a while. Put the call-up on Arco’s line and take it from there.

48. linkfromhyrule says:

Pouzar,

Can you say Mark Fraser 2.0?

49. Pouzar says:

linkfromhyrule:
    Pouzar,

Can you say Mark Fraser 2.0?

Better than Brad Hunt 2.0

50. McSorley33 says:

RexLibris,

************************************************************************************
    Kind of funny….I was doing the same thing. Just looking at the standings in the West and thinking…who are we going to pass on this list?

I find it tough to imagine us climbing over a lot of these teams.

Yet, I am acutely aware that we have a much better team this year.

51. barry.moore23 says:

I live right in the middle of, work with, and play pick up hockey with all Blackhawk fans. I would venture to say that none of them think of their team when they’re not watching a game. I, on the other hand, obsess about everything Oilers. It just doesn’t seem fair.

Glad you guys let me in. Wouldn’t have it any other way 🙂

B

52. Caramel Obvious says:

In the last thread Rex Libris said the following:

“The Oilers have a terrific two-way C in Nugent-Hopkins, a franchise player in Hall, exceptional complementary talent in Eberle, a young Thornton in Draisaitl, a pain-in-neck shooter in Perron, a big, fast powerplay winger in Purcell, a fast-skating, checking one-shot scorer in Yakupov, a great shut-down defender in Fayne, an emerging stud blueliner in Marincin, a trusty veteran defenseman in Petry and a 4th line that can go toe-to-toe with anyone in the league.”

And then wondered how it was the Oilers kept losing?

The Godot contingent thinks it is because of coaching. To which I would respond that almost every single superlative in the above thread is one step too positive. Nugent-Hopkins isn’t terrific, he’s good. Eberle is not exceptional. Draisatl is more young than Thornton. Yakupov is nothing now. I like Fayne, but he isn’t great. I like Marincin too but “emerging stud” is too strong.

This is a big part of our problem. Overvaluing the young talent on this team. Only Hall is really as advertised.

And yet with all that, the Oilers outplayed the Canucks on Saturday. The first period was a thing of beauty. An almost perfect performance. They lost because their goalie made a beer league play and now has a .897 save percentage (it would be .913 if he could handle the puck).

This is the story.

53. linkfromhyrule says:

Pouzar: Better than Brad Hunt 2.0

Haha is it? To me that’s like being asked to choose between swallowing a pinecone or glass. Neither is going to go over well 🙂

54. "Frank The Dog" says:

Caramel Obvious:
    In the last thread Rex Libris said the following:

And then wondered how it was the Oilers kept losing?

The Godot contingent thinks it is because of coaching.To which I would respond that almost every single superlative in the above thread is one step too positive.Nugent-Hopkins isn’t terrific, he’s good.Eberle is not exceptional.Draisatl is more young than Thornton.Yakupov is nothing now.I like Fayne, but he isn’t great.I like Marincin too but “emerging stud” is too strong.

This is a big part of our problem.Overvaluing the young talent on this team.Only Hall is really as advertised.

And yet with all that, the Oilers outplayed the Canucks on Saturday.The first period was a thing of beauty.An almost perfect performance. They lost because their goalie made a beer league play and now has a .897 save percentage (it would be .913 if he could handle the puck).

This is the story.

Is Scrivens with beer league puck plays as bad as Dubs?
    Maybe so, but all Scrivens needs do is stop the risky plays. Stick to the ultra-safe and then some. At least Scrivens can stand on his head when in the net. Dubs just lost his mojo and that was that.

55. theres oil in virginia says:

Caramel Obvious:
    In the last thread Rex Libris said the following:

And then wondered how it was the Oilers kept losing?

This is the story.

56. G Money says:

Caramel Obvious: This is the story.

We have the book on this team at this point. I’m pretty sure we know what they are, and the Corsi is confirming it.

They are better defensively. Still mediocre, but mid-pack is the best you could get with this particular group of six starters healthy.

They have goaltending on paper, but like last year, it’s cost them a number of goals and games. Unlike last year, it is puckhandling rather than puckstopping that is the primary problem.

And the forward group is OK, but nowhere close to dominant yet. Until that happens, the Oilers will sit outside the playoffs in the West (I think they’ve advanced to the point where they’d be in the playoffs in the East).

When and if Hall, Nuge, Eberle, Yak, Leon and with a supporting cast of Perron, Poo, Purcell can dominate games offensively (the way the Sedins, Perry/Getzlaf, Toews/Kane, etc), then this will be a playoff team.

Until then, we wait. And fret.

57. russ99 says:

Eberle and Schultz are 24 (and Schultz is behind the curve due to the NCAA), Hall’s 22. The rest are all younger.

Hall’s a generational talent, hence the early development.

Look at the other playoff teams’ first three lines and top pairings and you can see obviously why we’re deficient.

58. CrazyCoach says:

Bruce McCurdy: I feel little sympathy for Kassian who clubbed Oilers’ season down like a defenceless baby seal last year. In the preseason FFS. The night he taunted Gagner I would have been happy at that moment if Dave Semenko had taken the elevator down from the pressbox and beaten him senseless (not that that would require a whole lot of beating in Kassian’s case). Which speaks to another hockey truism — it’s an emotional game. Stuff happens, and stuff happens in response to the stuff that happens. Sometimes it’s immediate, sometimes it’s served cold.

I wholeheartedly agree with you Bruce. Kassian has been shooting his mouth off toomuch when they play the Oilers. I understand he has a job to do, but he gutless taunting of Gagner last season was too much. Hockey players have long memories. Just look back a few years ago when Marincin pounded that Yankee player at the U20’s.

I was glad to see Ferrence do it. You may question the man’s sad declining skills, but that was truly taking one for the team (as in suspensions).

59. Bag of Pucks says:

russ99:

Controlled rebuild?

Btw, the biggest reason the Oilers have to follow a ‘controlled’ model?

NMCs.

60. hunter1909 says:

Oilers hate Kassian? Everyone wants Kassian to suffer, right? Trade him to the Oilers.

61. Marcus Oilerius says:

russ99: Pouliot, Perron and Fayne are nice but in reality, they’re supporting pieces and not veteran leadership up to the level of the competition. Hate to beat the Jim Nill horse to death, but why weren’t we in on guys like Spezza?

Spezza had a NMC/NTC and wanted to go to a playoff team. He nixed a deal to Nashville.

62. "Frank The Dog" says:

russ99: Hate to beat the Jim Nill horse to death, but why weren’t we in on guys like Spezza?

Because Oilers have a bad rep:
    > Until now, inept assistants
    > So far, an inept HC
    > 8 Year bottom dwellers and counting
    > Fans that eat their young.
    > A prairie city in the middle of nowhere:
    > Playing in an outdated facility
    > Long, exceptionally cold winters
    > Unwilling wife/GF destination.

I think LT has made a lot of good calls this year but winning is everything. The assistants seem better than last year, but we still have some howlers when I comes to the D in particular. The bottom dweller tag isn’t really fair because we really to have a new or from MacT down. There’s lots of other cities in the middle of nowhere – Winnipeg, Columbus, Phoenix, Dallas, Detroit, etc. We have a shiny new state of the art stadium under construction.

So we’re left with this not being a desired wife/GF destination, our deep winners and not winning. Building a winning culture is everything.

63. wheatnoil says:

The Score reporting that Nikitin will draw in on Tuesday.

Given the preference Eakins has shown in keeping his pairings the same, I wonder if this will mean Nikitin drawing back in with Schultz and Klefbom replacing Ference with Petry.

Either way, it looks like, barring another injury, Klef had 3 games to make himself indispensable.

Edit: A quick visit to the Oilers Twitter reveals that Nikitin coming back to Tuesday is official. Also, morning lines has Nikitin-Schultz, Marincin-Petry, and Klefbom-Fayne.

64. CrazyCoach says:

Marcus Oilerius: I hear Chabot is going to put a shock collar on Scrivens and activate it any time he goes behind the net or looks like he’s going to play the puck. Dellow says that should improve his GAA by 0.37.

I have a better idea. How about we put the shock collar on Chabot and every time a goalie commits a pucknhandling gaffe, Messier hits the button.

We have to have do something while he sits in the owners suite.

65. gr8one says:

Haha…this is great.

Woodguy makes a cameo at about the 0:42 second mark.

66. rickithebear says:

Pouzar:
    Neal ‏@tweetneal28s29 seconds ago

Aulie Playing W/ W/O Differential
    numbers per 20
    Brewer .486 GA/20 .917 GA/20 +.431
    Gudas .650 .761 +.111
    Lee 1.177 1.433 +.256
    Salo .271 .706 +.435
    Hedman .387 .829 +.442
    Phanuef .579 .865 +.286
    Schenn .728 .936 +.208
    Gunnarssun .000 .835 +.835

these are the dh employed any minutes with.
    Always better with him.

I do not consider Schenn or NHL Dmen.
    Aulie Is!

67. rickithebear says:

russ99: The reason we’re not a playoff team isn’t because our 5 kids aren’t freaks of nature and hit their ceiling before age 23; the reason is that we don’t and haven’t for years had a veteran core to help get us there.

Amen!

68. rickithebear says:

Comparing hunt or Fraser to a Dman
    Brewer, Phanuef, Salo, Gudas, Hedmann, Gunnerson get better results with.

So you are trying to tell me these guys would get better results with fraser or hunt than not playing with them.

This is officially the dumbest position I have read on this blog dating back to the start.

69. Kmart99 says:

Caramel Obvious:
    In the last thread Rex Libris said the following:

And then wondered how it was the Oilers kept losing?

This is the story.

Name 10 RWS that have produced more offense than Ebs over the last 4 years. He’s exceptional, and even when playing injured he produces at a 60-65pt clip.

70. VanOil says:

wheatnoil: morning lines has Nikitin-Schultz, Marincin-Petry, and Klefbom-Fayne

This brings me hope, not for now mind you but for the future.

71. linkfromhyrule says:

rickithebear,

Everything is dumb when your position is infallible!

72. bendelson says:

CrazyCoach: I have a better idea.How about we put the shock collar on Chabot and every time a goalie commits a pucknhandling gaffe, Messier hits the button.

We have to have do something while he sits in the owners suite.

73. Yeti says:

McSorley33: Given how hard it is to actually make ground on teams – and Taylor Hall is out for some time – …
    I find it tough to imagine us climbing over a lot of these teams.

Yet, I am acutely aware that we have a much better team this year.

Yes, but sadly that just shows you how brutally poor we were last year. We improve greatly and yet have so much ground to make up it hardly shows in the standings. All thanks to the scorched earth rebuild strategy of Tambellini/Lowe.

74. Kmart99 says:

Nikitin is in vs Flyers. As per Eakins

75. Caramel Obvious says:

Kmart99,

Eberle over his career is a .8 pts/game player.

This is Radim Vrbata, Brian Little territory. To pick two players whose shape of play is also similar to Eberle. Good players. Not exceptional.

How much better than them do you think Eberle is?

76. Gordies Elbow says:

Caramel Obvious,

Radim Vrbata at the same age as Eberle is now had the following stat line:
    269gp – 61g – 68a – 129pts (.23GPG, .47PPG)

and Little:
    404gp – 99g – 128a – 227pts (.25GPG, .56PPG)

Eberle:
    285gp – 99g – 130a – 229pts (.34GPG, .80PPG)

Both Little and Vrbata continued to improve – hopefully, Eberle does as well.

77. theres oil in virginia says:

So, where’s the mythical cutoff line btwn good and exceptional, anyway?

Jordan Eberle has 0.8 pts/game for his career, and 0.35 goals/game.
    Bryan Little has 0.6 pts/game for his career, and 0.26 goals/game.
    Radim Vrbata has 0.6 pts/game for his career, and 0.27 goals/game.

Since 2001 (Vrbata’s 1st year), for points and goals in first four years of career:
    Eberle ranks 22nd (P) and 24th (G)
    Little ranks 92nd (P) and 73rd (G)
    Vrbata ranks 124th (P) and 95th (G)

Yeah, that’s pretty similar.

78. Caramel Obvious says:

Gordies Elbow,

You can’t give Eberle credit for future improvement. First, not all players develop on the same line, and, second, we’re talking about why the Oilers aren’t winning now.

Obviously if Eberle becomes a pt/game player the Oilers will be better. But that’s then, not now.

Personally, I think Eberle is a little better than they are, but they are in the same category.

79. Caramel Obvious says:

theres oil in virginia:
    So, where’s the mythical cutoff line btwn good and exceptional, anyway?

Jordan Eberle has 0.8 pts/game for his career, and 0.35 goals/game.
    Bryan Little has 0.6 pts/game for his career, and 0.26 goals/game.
    Radim Vrbata has 0.6 pts/game for his career, and 0.27 goals/game.

Eberle ranks 22nd (P) and 24th (G)
    Little ranks 92nd (P) and 73rd (G)
    Vrbata ranks 124th (P) and 95th (G)

Yeah, that’s pretty similar.

Why don’t you quote relevant data. What Vrbata did in 2001 is not relevant. I was just giving the eye test, but if you want to use numbers, you have to do it properly. Since what we are trying to figure out what they are right now, you shouldn’t go further back than three years, and the most recent years should be weighted more heavily.

You should also use p/60 not pt/game.

If you do that, they’ll come out close. Definitely in the same bucket of players.

80. RexLibris says:

Not that I’m anxious to wade into this debate, but I would point out one word which I was careful to include in my original comment: complementary.

I now return you to your regularly scheduled statsnerdgrudgematch. <— that's German, btw

😉

81. rickithebear says:

linkfromhyrule:
    rickithebear,

Everything is dumb when your position is infallible!

linkfromhyrule:
    rickithebear,

Everything is dumb when your position is infallible!

I have always been willing to change.

Corsi has value.

it is the sum of pucks directed.
    Corsi = (open space goals) +(open space saves) + (shots hit goalie) + blocks + misses

Corsi = (open space goals) + (box protection)

82. wintoon says:

Scrivens, when he stays in the net is an acceptable goalie for the Oilers. The problem is that he is a terrible puck handler and makes incredibly poor plays behind the net or clearing the puck.

If he limits his excursions the team would have more points in the standings, would have greater confidence in their net minder and would be playing 500 hockey. It isn’t bad enough that he causes goals against but in doing so he stifles momentum and disheartens a somewhat fragile club. If Eakins doesn’t ‘coach’ him on this he will never be a #1 goalie in the NHL.

83. theres oil in virginia says:

Caramel Obvious: Eberle over his career is a .8 pts/game player.

That’s a quote from your post. That’s pts/game you stated.

I gave you the numbers that related to each player’s first four years. “Relevant” is in the eye of the beholder. That’s a consistent measure that I used – there’s nothing improper about it. You are giving the impression that you’re trying to massage the numbers until it gives you what you want.

I’m starting to think you’re just trolling.

84. TheGreatMutato says:

Sometimes it’s hard being an Oilers fan. And not because of the team – I will enjoy cheering for them, whether as an underdog, a comical farce, or as (fingers crossed) an eventual juggernaut. No, the team is fine. It’s the fans who make it tough.

Being a frequenter of Lowetide and a man who has opted to watch games alone in his living room the majority of the time, I found watching Saturday’s game at a friend’s Halloween party to be a different kind of experience. Given that fandom in Edmonton is pretty much a given, we have a large number of fans who are passionate, but rather narrow minded. They appreciate obvious things that they can see and represent what they hope their values might be (great grit! that hustle! intensity! gritensity! gritustltensity!) These are the people who yell shoot on the power play and used to heckle me for wearing a Horcoff jersey to the games.

A player who is neat and tidy and effective can’t be appreciated in Edmonton. This is a fan base that would rather have Ryan Jones on the roster than Nail Yakupov. Please, don’t let Petry be the next sacrifice to the mob.

85. rickithebear says:

Phases of a players career:

Phase 1 Development
    PH1 PT1 Post draft 18-20 core development has not occurred.
    PH1 PT2 Coredevlopment 21-23

Phase 2 Peak
    PH2 PT1 Mass Development 24-26
    PH2 PT2 plateau 27-30

Phase 3 Decline.

To not compare players development by appropriate phase of career.

Sugggest a complete lack of of understanding of athletic development.

rickithebear:
    I have always been willing to change.

Corsi has value.

it is the sum of pucks directed.

Corsi = (open space goals) + (box protection)

HOSSANA!!

HOSSANA TO THE HIGHEST!!

Love me some RTB.

87. Магия 10 says:

Time for the Canadian Finals Road-eo. Our finals year after year. Would be nice to win them this year.

88. SwedishPoster says:

I like the D pairings. Klefbom and Fayne should be a good d-zone pairing and you get a vet and our most consisten D-man, since he settled in, with the least experienced guy. You get Nikitin (spasm)back with Schultz(who I think played well so far this season but I know you might get tarred and feathered for that opinion) a pairing that started to find their groove when Nikitin went down. And Petry and Marincin gets a chance to rekindle the love affair that made the Ol Al Gore go gaga last season. Also hopefully gets Marincin slightly kinder zone starts which might be benificial since I feel he was drowning a bit the last few games

The lines look ok. I like that they keep Drai and Yak together. I’m not sure of Pouliot on the first line, rather tried Perron or Purcell there to start, Pouliot’s been killing a lot of plays so far, but it might heat up his offense a bit. I also find it odd that despite showing early signs of chemistry, Perron and Ebs never gets a shot at playing together. Because if they can get their scoring going together it opens up some real strong offensive options once Hall gets back.

A lof of talk that Yak needs to step and while true this is a much bigger test for Ebs and RNH, they HAVE TO show they can provide real first line hockey if we want to avoid getting hammered this road trip. Will be interesting if the other teams will keep going power vs power now that Hall is out. Might try to abuse our weaker lines if they’re not too worried with the Ebs-RNH combo.

This is also a litmus test for the team as a whole. Without the only true star and the captain going on the first road trip of the season. I’m not counting on a lot of points without Hall but if this teams shows gusto and keeps clawing the way they have so far this season, with other guys stepping up I’ll be more comfortable going forward.
    If the team however folds and looks anemic then MacT has to make some big moves, meaning trading one or two of the top guys on the team to change the make-up on and off the ice, he also must consider getting a new head coach. I think Eakins seems more settled down so far this season and he has gotten the team moving in the right direction but if the team doesn’t show up hard after losing Hall and Ference he probably lacks what it takes to coach this team.

This is a key moment. The season is slipping away, the team has lost one star and two captains. This is when a good group comes together to become more than their parts and a bad one falls apart. Show me time.

The last bit should be read with Al Pacinos voice.

89. Магия 10 says:

Woodguy: HOSSANA!!

HOSSANA TO THE HIGHEST!!

Love me some RTB.

Now you know. Box protection is all your Corsi that isn’t Goals. On the defensive side who wouldn’t want that? Don’t be regressive.

Woodguy: HOSSANA!!

#21 Benn 181 GM .33 GPG .51 APG .84 PPG
    #23 Kessel 222GM .44 GPG .37 APG .81 PPG
    #25 Duschene 176 GM .31GPG .49 APG .80 PPG
    #27 Couture 207 GM .41 GPG .36 APG .77 PPG
    #31 Perry 230GM .34GPG .40 APG .74 PPG
    #32 Giroux 206GM .24 GPG .49 APG .73 PPG

This is a real reference!

gr8one:
    Haha…this is great.

Woodguy makes a cameo at about the 0:42 second mark.

Heh.

On my phone.

It really was dumb iirc.

93. linkfromhyrule says:

rickithebear,

Ok, and I mean, that’s fine, but you were suggesting that Aulie is an amazing dman who makes everyone better. Everything I have seen would suggest the opposite. He’s slow, makes bad decisions with the puck, and just doesn’t seem to have that NHL-calibre ability. Corsi’s only part of the story in his case.

By all accounts I’ve heard he’s struggled finding consistency in the AHL. I’m just not sure how you can rationalize the fact that your GA/20 numbers say he’s amazing while everything states the contrary..

94. Pouzar says:

Caramel Obvious:
    Kmart99,

Eberle over his career is a .8 pts/game player.

This is Radim Vrbata, Brian Little territory.To pick two players whose shape of play is also similar to Eberle.Good players.Not exceptional.

How much better than them do you think Eberle is?

Severely underrating Brian Little now too. *shakes head*

He is the one Winnipeg Jet I would love on this team.

95. Pouzar says:

Caramel Obvious:
    Gordies Elbow,

You can’t give Eberle credit for future improvement.First, not all players develop on the same line, and, second, we’re talking about why the Oilers aren’t winning now.

Obviously if Eberle becomes a pt/game player the Oilers will be better.But that’s then, not now.

So how does Corey Perry work for you? Exact same PPG as Eberle over the last 3 years.

96. "Frank The Dog" says:

bendelson: I’d fire Chabot, put shock collars on Lowe, MacT and Eakins, and give the button to Hunter.

But Chabot is a very good Goalie scout. So move him to scouting?

97. G Money says:

SwedishPoster: You get Nikitin (spasm)back with Schultz

Does that mean we can officially dub the Jultz-Nikitin pairing Spaz and Spasm?

98. Bruce McCurdy says:

cahill: Bruce, being the master wordsmith that you are.Can I use ‘Absofuckinlutely’ when enjoying an invigorating game of Scrabble with Nanna?

No you can’t. “Absofuckinlutely” is 16 letters long & a Scrabble board is only 15 tiles wide. 🙂

99. Bruce McCurdy says:

Woodguy: HOSSANA!!

Is that Marian Hossana, or Marcel?

Woodguy: HOSSANA TO THE HIGHEST!!

I see, it’s Marian then? Hossana indeed.

100. Bruce McCurdy says:

Woodguy: When I get to my laptop, will try to find which of his tweets I was responding to.

It really was dumb iirc.

That really narrows it down. >:o

Probably the anti-Dellow screed?

101. bendelson says:

“Frank The Dog”: But Chabot is a very good Goalie scout. So move him to scouting?

Nope. Fire him. They can hire Big Dan if they want a credible goalie scout.

And no comment about the use of shock collars Frank?