OILERS AT RANGERS G15 2014-15

rnh common

The Edmonton Oilers are past the midway point of the CFR road trip and sit 1-2. With a little luck they might have an extra point or two from the trip, but as they hit Manhattan today there is good and bad in their season. Good includes a stronger (5-8-1 as opposed of 3-9-2) record than a year ago, a definite step forward from RNH, and better complementary scoring from the group of forwards behind the 1line. Bad includes chaos on the blue from veterans and youngsters alike, and that’s something that needs to tighten in a quick hurry.

• Dallas Eakins on the Buffalo win: “Sometimes these things don’t set up very well. You’ve lost a few in a row and you’re coming in to play a team that’s struggling and you’re playing back-to-back. But I thought our guys were excellent [Friday]. I thought that not only did they play well, they had great energy on the bench when we got down. They all took a deep breath and got back to work.”

THE GOODS (F)

JESSE JOENSUU 14gp, 2-1-3 49.6 14.4 1.04 10:34
MARK ARCOBELLO 14gp, 4-2-6 49.5 74.1 1.28 13:34
BOYD GORDON 14gp, 2-2-4 48.7 12.6 1.19 10:48
MATT HENDRICKS 14gp, 2-1-3 47.7 14.4 1.19 10:48
NAIL YAKUPOV 14gp, 2-4-6 46.5 77.5 1.81 11:58
IIRO PAKARINEN 2gp, 1-0-1 51.6 100 4.44 6:45

The Corsi For % 5×5 has improved since Hall’s injury for most of these men, but the 5×5/60 is down pretty much across the board (my nickname for Hall, Chance, is based on his ability to create offense). Players who have tepped forward since Hall’s injury? Mark Arcobello, Edward Purcell, Nail Yakupov. Small sample size, but encouraging to see those three join the party a little more on the road trip.

If you’re looking for areas of strength for Dallas Eakins, check out those zone starts. That’s ideal.

WAR-ON-ICE SLEDGEHAMMER, FORWARDS

forwards corsi comp

This is hilarious compared to some of the Vollman’s seen over the last few seasons. It’s really hard to argue usage by Eakins on any of these guys, he’s managed to get four players (including a veteran winger) into the easiest quadrant AND give them 70% ZS. Lots of Corsi blue there too, good days. We’re too soon to measure results really, but we can measure deployment right now and this is strong, strong strong.

THE GOODS (D)

PLAYER BOXCARS CORSI FOR % OZ STARTS 5X5 PER 60 EV TOI
JEFF PETRY 13gp, 0-1-1 53.3 45.1 0.27 17:12
ANDREW FERENCE 11gp, 0-1-1 51.3 37.5 0.32 17:06
JUSTIN SCHULTZ 14gp, 2-4-6 51.3 64.8 0.96 18:10
NIKITA NIKITIN 11gp, 1-2-3 51.2 65.5 0.65 16:50
BRAD HUNT 6gp, 1-0-1 50.3 57.4 0.00 16:41
MARK FAYNE 14gp, 1-3-4 48.2 50.3 0.87 14:57
MARTIN MARINCIN 9gp, 0-1-1 44.7 48.5 0.43 15:49
OSCAR KLEFBOM 2gp, 0-0-0 52.1 50.0 0.00 17:21
KEITH AULIE 2gp, 0-0-0 68.7 57.9 0.00 14:52

The Buffalo game (like the Calgary game) impacts everything but these are good numbers. Corsi’s are pretty maids all in a row, these gents aren’t going to deliver a lot of offense but credit Eakins with settling down the TOI to manageable minutes for Justin Schultz. Mark Fayne seems to be settling in, with a few notable exceptions, but Niki Nikitin is a train wreck.

Oilers are going with Nikitin-Petry, Ference-Schultz and Aulie-Fayne today, which seems reasonable. It means Marincin and Klefbom sit, but I don’t think that’s such a bad thing. With even the veterans off the rails, it makes sense for the coach to go with experience until things are settled and then bring in a younger player. Frankly, Aulie has looked pretty good to my eye, Nikitin is the one who should be sitting among the veterans.

One thing I believe to be true: IF the Oilers are looking for an upgrade on blue (as has been rumored) then I suspect one of the kids would be part of the deal. The team has so many defensemen emerging that playing them on one team is impossible. The question is: When do you cash one in?

WAR-ON-ICE SLEDGEHAMMER,DEFENSEdefense corsi comp

This graph shows that the handling of Martin Marincin is quite different than you’d imagine for a young blue, but he got the same treatment a year ago and performed better in the role. The Oilers (imo) are still finding their way here, with Petry getting tough zone starts, Fayne tougher competition but for me both of those men should be in the upper left quadrant. They are the best shutdown options on the team, hell I’d pair them together.

If I was another NHL team, say the Islanders, I’d ask after Marincin. He might come at an acceptable price and flourish in a difficult role.

BARONS WIN!

Rockford vs. Barons 2-28-14

Todd Nelson has those OKC Barons driving like a fast car these days. The club pulled out another win last night, with Curtis Hamilton scoring in overtime. He scored 1-1-2 in the game and is off to a nice start to the season. I wanted to touch base on Mitch Moroz and his season so far, and discuss it within the context of MacT’s verbal about first-year AHL players getting lots of playing time.

It’s tough to do, and even more difficult to put them in feature roles. Here’s the scoring chart for Barons’ LW’s so far this year:

PLAYER BOXCARS ESTIMATED TOI
RYAN HAMILTON 8GP, 5-3-8 22:23
CURTIS HAMILTON 7GP, 2-2-4 10:09
KALE KESSY 8GP, 2-2-4 15:17
MITCH MOROZ 7GP, 0-0-0 15:59

The TOI estimates are from Eric Rodgers at Tend the Farm (here) and are a pain in the ass to do, so please click through and read. That’s from eight games in, so things will change (Curtis Hamilton likely played way more than 10 minutes last night) but I wanted to show it to you because it speaks to coaching and playing time. Mitch Moroz, by Eric’s estimate, is getting damn near 16 minutes a night in OKC when he plays. I believe Eric’s estimated time on ice comes from scoring events, as in an even-strength goal is scored every 4.2 minutes so if you were on for three in a game Eric would estimate 13 minutes of icetime that game.

Through the years these kinds of estimates have been shown to be accurate (when compared to a league that does track the time) so I think we can safely use this as a proxy for the rest of the season (I’ll be talking to Eric tomorrow on the Lowdown about it).

Back to Moroz. Nelson has spoken on this issue many times, about the adjustment period between junior and the AHL, and we know from our own experience watching and reading about these men it’s a helluva jump. Every year, the new hires arrive, the college kids surge, and the junior players’ struggle. Giving them more icetime is a fine idea, but at what point are you showing up the kid by sending him out there to fail (by not impacting the game at all offensively)?

Curtis Hamilton and Tyler Pitlick had a very similar experience in the fall of 2011. Todd Nelson eased them in, and for some that’s one of the reasons they struggled in their careers. I would argue injuries are the main culprit and this is why we wait five years before making a judgement on a player. Curtis Hamilton is in his fifth year after the draft, and should be getting a lot of playing time—if he earns it.

Just like Mitchell Moroz. It has always been thus. My complete RE for Oklahoma City is here.

294 Responses to "OILERS AT RANGERS G15 2014-15"

Newer Comments »
  1. Mr DeBakey says:

I think some, not you, were overestimating Marincin’s likelihood of contributing this year
    I think it should’ve been expected that he would struggle some.
    It’ll happen to Klefbom & Nurse too.

The problem is that many [most?] no longer trust the Oilers to make proper choices.
    This has been enhanced by MacT’s verbal on the developing Defenders – “Klefbom, Nurse and the others…”

Mr. D: Yes. Plus we have to remember Marincin got the rocking chair treatment with Petry last season and with Nikitin struggling so badly Eakins doesn’t have that kind of cover. I still think a lot of this defensive chaos is people getting to know each other.

3. Lucinius says:

Mr DeBakey,

Personally, my issue with the handling of the D is fairly simple; can you honestly say Marincin and/or Klefbom are more deserving of press box duty (or having been sent down to start the season in Marincin’s case) than others? After the train wreck of Nikitin the past few games, how does he not get press boxed?

Similarily with Aulie, although I’m less opposed on that, but not by much. I’m a firm believer in icing the best line up you can each and every game; Eakins and Co. are not doing that with the defense, which is what has me angry about it.

If you want to properly develop Marincin and Klefbom at a measured pace.. then neither one should be on the Oilers at the moment. Marincin, despite the miracle of last season, shouldn’t have been on the team last year — if all you’re worried about is the development of the player.

The Oilers have almost no history of being that kind of team, however. They throw their players into the wood chipper on a consistent basis, good and bad.

As such, if Marincin and/or Klefbom are going to be on the big club, they should play more than they have because they have not been the worst defencemen. Nikitin, Ference, Schulz should have seen press box time by now based on a pure performance metric.. but they haven’t (and the latter two simply won’t).

Either ice the best line up you can, or properly develop the players. The Oilers don’t have the depth to do both and as such are messing up both.

This game sets up well for the Oilers.

NYR played last night in TOR and the game is 6pm EST so its a fast turn around for them.

Their forward lines look like this:

NASH BRASSARD ST LOUIS
    ZUCCARELLO KREIDER STEPAN
    HAGELIN MOORE STEMPNIAK
    DUCLAIR HAYES GLASS

Top two lines are good. 3rd is a good checking line and 4th is dross.

Dpair were:

GIRARDI STAAL
    KLEIN HUNWICK
    KOSTKA ALLEN

Here is where NYR is weak.

I don’t rate Girardi and think Sather made a huge error giving him $5MM and letting Stralman go.

McDonaugh is one of the best and he’s out.

When Matt Hunwick is in your second pairing, you’re weak on D.

Allen and Kostka managed to post the worst Fen among NYR D last night with 43% despite getting 100% OZS.

Oilers need to transition fast and skate hard on this D and this game can be had.

The dreamiest man in hockey starts for the Rags in net, but he’s not having a great start to the season just like last year and is currently posting a .901

Also,

Marincin is not playing well. He backed off on Matty’s son’s goal in BUF just like Nikitin did on Reilly’s goal in BOS.

I though Klef was looking better and deserved to play over Aulie.

I think Aulie is in because face punching again.

He had a good game stats wise in BUF (who didn’t?) but he’s a big detriment to the offence as his first pass often misses the target and loses possesion.

The Oilers need to give him 5-10ft pass options, not 20-30ft pass options, he simply can’t make those passes often enough to be a good option.

Shot Adjusted Fen rankings:

NYR – 16th
    EDM – 18th

This game can be had.

Quick transition and ozone time is key.

Go Oilers!!

*clap,clap*

5. "Frank The Dog" says:

Beating NY at home tonight would be an up arrow. Beating Nashville as well would be a team that has become competitive. Even losing by a single point or perhaps in OT to Nashville would be a positive step.
    The team I’ve seen so far would lose to both, by 3 or more points. The other positive straw I can pck up, is Nuge’s positive attitude. I’m looking forward to a future Perron-Drai-Yak City powerhouse. I hope Yak gets another 10 shots on net.
    Hoping for the best, expecting less as usual.

The other thing about Aulie drawing in is a possible showcase. He’s absolutely Sather’s kind of guy.

7. sliderule says:

The problem the oilers have is they have to protect Schultz.

If you give him tough zone starts and opposition look out.

This means that they can’t protect Marincin or Klefbom.

They have to throw them to wolves.

My worry is they trade the wrong one.

Oilers!

8. Ice Sage says:

Oilers looking to roll thru the Empire State and party like it’s 1987!!!! (sans nosecandy of course)

9. VanOil says:

sliderule: The problem the oilers have is they have to protect Schultz.

Removing Schultz from the roster for a defender that can actually defend or a Center would aide roster balance. I believe his 5v5 offensive skill is overrated and our #1PP unit is hardly a force for good with him on the point.

10. dangilitis says:

“The question is: When do you cash one in?”

Answer: the summer would have been good, but I’ll take ASAP as a runner up, with the caveat that the team knows how to evaluate their D-men objectively (which they haven’t been able to do based on the TOI and commentary from MacT). Because if the answer is trading Petry or Marincin, then the question better include your preamble, whereby the team is truly looking “for an upgrade on blue.” If I could get an upgrade on one of these guys right now, I would take it for the loss of one of them, plus an emerging D prospect and pick. But I would much rather trade Schultz + X for a true top 4 Dman capable of filling in on the top pair when needed. Man that Ference contract sucks, and I really hope Nikitin is injured

11. Dicky94 says:

VanOil,

I agree. Would rather keep Petry over Shultz any day. Package him up with some prospects and picks to Buffalo for Myers and Hodgson or even Stewart.

Allen-Kostka will get as close to 100% OZS as possbile.

23-27-6 will get as close to 0%OZS as possible.

I therefore predict that one of those 3 will score.

I’m going to watch closely to see if Eakins tries to get Saddle or Arco out against that pairing during the flow of play.

I don’t think he’ll have a prayer getting RNH against them, Vigneault is too smart for that.

My bet is that its Saddle to minimize the shots against.

Let’s go Oilers!

*clap,clap….clapclapclap*

13. The Artist formerly known as "NYCOIL" says:

Woodguy,

Hey…analyzing the Rangers is my job! I am now unemployed! Ha ha.

Totally agreed on Girardi v. Stralman. We talked about it last year.

Rangers played Talbot vs. Leafs last night so Oilers will draw Lundqvist, who has been below average. But nothing like the Oilers to bust slumps, right?

I was at the game last year right in front of Yak when he scored that beauty GWG. But that was also against Talbot.

Unfortunately this year I have had to leave NYC at this time and am currently doing a short-term contract in…you guessed it, Toronto, so…ugh on many levels.

The Rangers are not the same team without their MVP among skaters (McDonagh). Not even close. Winnable game for the Oilers but I think it will come down to whether Lundqvist is on his game or not.

And pfft, The dreamiest man in hockey is Nail Yakupov. Henrik who? Yak just doesn’t know it yet. When he realizes it, he will score 50! 🙂

14. Bling says:

His boxcars are just okay, but Nail Yakupov is suddenly up to 1.8/60 at evens.

The revolution is coming.

I loved his forecheck on the goal in Buffalo, and he’s firing the puck HARD. Some of those are going to start going in, and soon.

He was also causing some havoc in front of the net on the lead-up to Pakarinen’s goal.

Keep it coming, Nail!

15. flyfish1168 says:

VanOil: This why I propose to trade him 5-6 times a week. He offers the highest return from the side of the defense with the greatest veteran/skill depth Fayne and Petry.

16. theres oil in virginia says:

Ice Sage:

Roll on Son!

17. VanOil says:

Woodguy: Vigneault is too smart for that

Vigneault might have two Stanley Cup final losses on his resume but he is an excellent coach who maximizes his roster ability to get results. The results of last years Rangers/Canucks coaching swap have been underplayed because Torterella’s awfulness masked Vigneault’s skill.

18. blainer says:

Would also eliminate alot of the shorties and 2 on ones..

19. Ice Sage says:

theres oil in virginia,

That was awesome, thanks – it’s gonna be a good day

20. blainer says:

Hopefully looking forward to seeing Nurse at the WJC. We need Nurse to be that offence from the D as I am not high on Shultz. I am a little worried he will take alot longer to develop but will understand that they need to be careful with this player. He may end up in the A for a year or two if he turns out like G. Reinhardt. A trade like Boychuck would have been great.

21. VanOil says:

Dicky94:
    VanOil,

This would be a bold move but it would seem to offer a one stop shopping trip to plug most of the Oilers roster holes. I am not thrilled with Hodgson element as he seems to be like Gagner with out the scoring touch or positive attitude. But, Schultz for Myers all day.

22. VanOil says:

theres oil in virginia: Roll on Son!

Son House!!! I so thought you were going 80’s Hair Metal with that link. Well played, great song.

23. cabbiesmacker says:

Completely off topic and mostly irrelevant but poking around league stats this morning and one thing I came across stood out. The Kings and Habs have allowed more shots for than against ytd. Maybe Montreal isn’t hugely surprising but LA I’d never have suspected. Mr Quick sporting a .943 and 1.86 to boot. Nice goalie.

24. flyfish1168 says:

JMHO. I don’t have or seen any stats on this matter. But I believe Justin was on the ice all to often with Hall,RNH and Ebs during his time in the AHL. I believe this help inflate his numbers. Being on the ice at the same time with true NHL players down there. Now Maceakins can’t refocus on what is Justin’s true talent level is. Justin’s high water mark was down in the AHL.

Justin is already a 24 yrs old. He needs to have made a mark in the NHL already being in his 3rd year. So when you compare him to the likes of OEL-23, Subban- 25, Pietrangelo -24, Karlsson- 24, and even Dougie Hamilton -21 who would you rather have on the Oiler blue? Yes people are going to say these players have more experience. But look at the age and up side. A mistake is Maeakins overvaluing him. JMHO

Maybe they’re showcasing Nikitin?

Heh.

26. RexLibris says:

Woodguy: Maybe they’re showcasing Nikitin?

Heh.

Throw in Ference and you’ve got your 3-1.

Woodguy: Maybe they’re showcasing Nikitin?

Heh.

flyfish1168:

Justin is already a 24 yrs old. He needs to have made a mark in the NHL already being in his 3rd year. So when you compare him to the likes of OEL-23, Subban- 25, Pietrangelo -24, Karlsson- 24, and even Dougie Hamilton -21 who would you rather have on the Oiler blue?Yes people are going to say these players have more experience. But look at the age and up side. A mistake is Maeakins overvaluing him. JMHO

RNH was out with his shoulder, it was Hall-Arco-Ebs

I agree with you 100%.

I listened to MacT’s Jultz signing presser again the other day and he brought up Jultz’ AHL numbers again.

The year they played in the AHL, Hall put up 1.11pt/gm in the NHL and Ebs put up 0.77pts/.gm in the NHL.

MacT spoke glowingly that Jultz did something no other Dman had every done in the AHL.

I doubt any Dman had players like that to play with in the AHL either.

Might have been something close in the previous lock out, but Hall and Ebs finished 9th and 41st in NHL scoring that year.

That’s some kind of help in the AHL.

29. jp says:

flyfish1168: I totally agree with you. It’s sad Maceakins are set on Justin being part of the core and feeling he is a Norris trophy material. I wonder if Vegas has odds on this.

I’d put $10 on that. With the miniscule chance of getting $100,000 back.

Lowetide: For the KHL? Man that guy. I went back and looked at the highlights of the Boston game because I wanted to come myself on the harpoon goal. Got mad all over again when I saw his ‘wonder wall’ work on the other goal. Incredible.

Highest paid Dman on the team.

He could score a hat trick of own-goals and suit up the next day.

31. speeds says:

If a team like DAL were to call about Marincin, what do you think EDM would want back to make a trade?

32. PunjabiOil says:

It concerns me the organization seemingly sour on Marincin. Stauffer hinted when MM was sent down to the AHL that a team close to the cap might inquire about Marincin’s availability also left me uneasy.

I’m not sure they’re high on MM as much as the advanced stats guys are.

I also believe the decisions surrounding MM pertain to hands-on involvement in day-to-day decisions by Craig MacTavish.

Guys like Eberle, Gagner, Schultz have got free passes, coddled treatment, while some of the Europeans like Yakupov and Marincin have had to earn their way up. It’s unfortunate. It really is.

There’s a story, those close to the organization, that the Oilers coddled their young players like Hall, Eberle, RNH and shielded them from local media criticism. It’s also why they stopped doing the annual West Edmonton Mall autograph sessions – the younger players just didn’t like it. A sense of entitlement is the byproduct of this.

_________________

Oilers need to go 2-2-1 by the end of this road trip to really stay in the hunt. We’re approaching a part of the schedule where the direction of this season is fast approaching.

speeds:

Cody Eakin? Don’t know. I think the Oilers probably value him less than his actual worth, but that’s a guess.

34. TheOtherJohn says:

Oilers 5-8-1 last in WC, tied for 28th overall. We beat worst team in league: catalyst for a winning streak? Agree with WG Rangers playing last night in TO and 4 pm game tonight— huge opportunity on this road trip. Won’t be that fortunate in Nashville who is waiting for us after a 3 day wait after beating StL

The other thing about Marincin is that Olli Jokinen’s name has come up a time or two, and the Preds are the kings of blue.

36. flyfish1168 says:

Woodguy: RNH was out with his shoulder, it was Hall-Arco-Ebs

I agree with you 100%.

I doubt any Dman had players like that to play with in the AHL either.

That’s some kind of help in the AHL.

Thanks for correcting me. But can you correct MaCeakins too.

37. leadfarmer says:

Remember when I was completely against signing Nikitin for 2 mil a year. This is how Nikitin has looked for the last two years. Columbus was not even interested in re signing him. How nice of mact to give him a salary the KHL would of probably found too rich for the caliber of player

38. VanOil says:

speeds:

The GM would be my first choice in that deal.

39. jp says:

flyfish1168:

Woodguy: RNH was out with his shoulder, it was Hall-Arco-Ebs

I agree with you 100%.

I doubt any Dman had players like that to play with in the AHL either.

That’s some kind of help in the AHL.

This is all true, but Schultz, as a Dman, actually outproduced Hall and RNH in the AHL.

Eberle 1.50 PPG
    Schultz 1.41 PPG
    Hall 1.31 PPG
    RNH 1.05 PPG (played 19 of the 34 games)

He lead all AHL D in scoring in 34 GP!

Absolutely it wouldn’t have happened without Hall-RNH-Eberle, but he outscored 2 of them. It was a truly remarkable half season for Jultz. There’s a good reason MacT keeps bringing it up.

Has it coloured how MacT and Eakins see Schultz now? Probably. But Jultz was driving the bus as much as anyone of this group.

I know we’re all getting frustrated with Schultz’s poor defensive game and lack of progression (regression even) offensively, but not a lot of guys could have put up those numbers, even with the wonder kids helping out.

40. flyfish1168 says:

jp: I’d put $10 on that. With the miniscule chance of getting $100,000 back.

JP keep your $10. Your way better off. No ?ucken way does Justin wins the Norris being an Oiler. He would need to play for an eastern team for that to happen.

41. G Money says:

Two close Fen teams, the Rangers play the non-heavy East style, the Rangers missing their best D and the Oilers missing their best F, and home-ice advantage for the Rangers offset by them playing on a back-to-back.

That seems to be pretty even.

The Rangers have some dangerous forwards, so I’d suggest (as per my well explained concerns), Fenwick aside the Oilers get signfiicantly outchanced.

Suspect this will come down to whether the Rangers get hot-Lundquist or slump-Lundquist, and the Oilers get good-Fasth or evil-Fasth. If it’s hot-Lundquist or evil-Fasth, the Rangers likely walk away with this one.

42. flyfish1168 says:

jp:
    This is all true, but Schultz, as a Dman, actually outproduced some very good NHL forwards.

Eberle 1.50 PPG
    Schultz 1.41 PPG
    Hall 1.31 PPG
    RNH 1.05

He lead all AHL D in scoring in 34 GP!

I believe teams down there were to worried about Taylor and Jordan that they forgot to shoulder check Justin coming in from the back end. In the NHL level there is less star gazing unless your an Oiler. JMHO

43. thejonrmcleod says:

I consider myself to be a “stats guy,” but sometimes I see a double standard in the hockey stats community. Aulie currently has a Corsi On of +50.42. Yes, much of that is due to him playing one of his two games against the Sabres. But I’ve found that when the numbers don’t match the stats community’s narrative (“Aulie’s garbage!”), they discount the stats.

Edit: And, no, I’m not saying Aulie is an excellent defenceman based on his current Corsi numbers.

44. Pouzar says:

Massive amounts of $$ on the Rangers tonight. Check.

45. PunjabiOil says:

14 games, 0 points.

If giving up MM and the center piece of said deal is a pointless center who is 68 games away from free agency, then we have entrusted the wrong person to manage the health of this franchise.

PunjabiOil:

14 games, 0 points.

Yeah, not even Tambo is that dumb.

47. teddyturnbuckle says:

Marincin has been brutal Lately, Klefbom shows flashes of greatness but is making a lot of mistakes. Not surprised both are out. Nikki should be out also.

thejonrmcleod:

You answered your own question.

Very small sample that includes a huge outlier game.

By eye Aulie can’t take a pass or make a pass as well as the others and that’s the concern.

Marincin has been brutal by the possession metrics (albeit in tough circumstances and it’s been noted and discussed a bit.

I can see why they are sitting Marincin.

I can’t see why they are sitting Klef for Aulie.

Maybe because he and Fayne had ridiculous number vs. BUF and they want to see that pair against a real team?

49. Pouzar says:

teddyturnbuckle:
    Marincin has been brutal Lately, Klefbom shows flashes of greatness but is making a lot of mistakes. Not surprised both are out.Nikki should be out also.

Brutal? Really?

How does he go from being part of the pairing that shuts down Ovi and Stamkos and now can’t even get on the ice. Why was that pairing split up again?

50. thejonrmcleod says:

Woodguy,

Yes, it’s obvious why Aulie’s numbers look so impressive, so he probably isn’t the best example.

51. Adam Wu says:

thejonrmcleod:

You misunderstand what the “stats community” is all about.

The stats community does not only consider the statistics and discount all other information.

For one thing, the stats community, working as much as they do with stats, understands the limitations of statistics.

Think of it not as “stats community” but “evidence-based community”. Stats are an integral part of the evidence, but not the only source of it.

Seen him good/bad is also a source of evidence. The anti-stats people discount the stats, ignoring one important area of evidence. This is wrong. But it is also wrong to discount what you see on the ice, because that is ALSO an important area of evidence.

If different lines of evidence are providing conflicting information, then you must obtain more evidence to break the deadlock. If you do not have more evidence, you must make a judgment call about which line of evidence is more reliable in that specific situation. The advantage of statistics is that it quantifies its own uncertainty. We KNOW that things like small sample size makes the statistics unreliable.

When the statistics are unreliable, then what you see on the ice becomes relatively more important to your assessment.

To reduce your confidence in the accuracy of the statistic NUMBER because of known *STATISTICAL* reasons for the unreliability of the statistical data is a judgment based on *STATISTICAL* reasoning.

IOW, if a “stats guy” discounts a particular number produced by statistics because of a statistical consideration like small sample size, he or she is still utilizing statistical reasoning.

Because an integral part of doing statistics is determining how much you can trust the statistics in each and every specific circumstance.

52. Adam Wu says:

Marincin has struggled lately.

And remember last year, when he was playing well, there were lots of voices of caution, saying that the development of young D is not linear, and he is bound to have future struggles, and regressions, and even maybe a sophomore slump?

Sitting him for a game or two may be the best thing to do with respect to his own development.

If they truly believe (and remember that they have more information than we do, we don’t get to see what the players are doing in practice or in the dressing room, or what they are telling the coaches in private) he is currently performing as the 7th D on the depth chart then sitting him is also the best decision for the team in the immediate future. If they don’t believe that, then it may be yet another example of prioritizing future development over wins right now.

53. blainer says:

We lose again today. Rangers will be pissed after last night. My guess is 4-2 Rangers. If this had been a long western conf road trip the season would be done. Man Buffalo is working hard to finish 30th. I think its gonna be tough to finish worse than them.

54. thejonrmcleod says:

Adam Wu,

Yes, I agree with that. And I acknowledge that Aulie wasn’t a very good example to argue my point. I guess I’m actually thinking of a handful of people I follow on Twitter who stick to narratives no matter what, not the hockey analytics community as a whole.

55. teddyturnbuckle says:

Pouzar,

He needs to sit but I do believe he will get back to how he needs to play. Against the Flyers I saw him making pee wee errors on his gap control. He was allowing guys to gain the zone way too easily and not engaging physically when the other team was vulnerable and in the slot.

56. []JUST[]KEEP[]CALM[]AND[]CORSI[]ON[] says:

theres oil in virginia: Roll on Son!

That guy would be really good if he had a whammy bar and a chorus pedal!

57. frjohnk says:

No salary cap increase for NHL next season?
    The decline of the Canadian dollar will put a significant dent in the amount the salary cap will increase next year.

“Given the fixation of escrow under which the players currently are having 14 percent of their pay withheld, it certainly is a realistic possibility the NHLPA will not exercise a 5-percent escalator for 2015-16. That might mean a stagnant cap in the $69 million range, which falls some $5 million to $6 million shy of previous optimistic projections.

That would mean that clubs facing a cap crunch now cannot responsibly count on relief for next season. That has put a hold on extension negotiations.”

Yeah its from Larry Brooks but I do wonder if this has led to some GM’s waiting to see how things play out, not only in where there team is headed ( playoffs or lottery) but also financially ( Can $, cap space) before making deals

58. Pouzar says:

teddyturnbuckle:
    Pouzar,

He needs to sit but I do believe he will get back to how he needs to play.Against the Flyers I saw him making pee wee errors on his gap control.He was allowing guys to gain the zone way too easily and not engaging physically when the other team was vulnerable and in the slot.

Gap control is something the whole D corps has been terrible at. Any reason why we are giving up the blue line so easily?

59. leadfarmer says:

The unfortunate thing for marincin is that he had to play last year in the nhl instead of working on his two way game in the Ahl. Instead of working on getting confidence on both ends of the ice he is being developed into a defensive defens man something this team doesn’t value. Young players need to have frequent positive reinforcement to grow confident. Which is a reason I don’t get why is Draisatl still on this team. Let him dominate in junior and reassess if he’s ready next year

60. leadfarmer says:

Pouzar,

The whole team plays terrible as a team. D can’t get the puck to forwards with speed and don’t get involved in supporting the offense and the forwards don’t help the d in their own zone. The team is worse than the sum of the first parts. Now they learned that the team is keeping track of corsi and they are cheating numbers by dumping the puck in on goal.

61. Cahoon says:

theres oil in virginia,

What a great song!

62. Bruce McCurdy says:

thejonrmcleod:
    Adam Wu,

63. Gordies Elbow says:

frjohnk,

From my math (using Forbes revenue estimates per team) each drop of 1 cent in the Canadian dollar drops league revenue by approximately 7 million. Canadian dollar has dropped 8.5 cents in the last calendar year (Nov to Nov.) That gives an estimated league revenue drop due to arbitrage of $59.5m.

That said, according to Chris Botta’s work, projections for revenue increases are in the neighborhood of $300m. Assuming that all of those revenue increases were booked in Canadian dollars, teams are still likely looking at an increase of $240m, or $3.95b in total revenue, leading to an increase of ~6.5%.

I wouldn’t be shocked to see $73m for the cap in 2015-2016.

jp:

Eberle 1.50 PPG
    Schultz 1.41 PPG
    Hall 1.31 PPG
    RNH 1.05 PPG (played 19 of the 34 games)

He lead all AHL D in scoring in 34 GP!

The real narrative of the Schultz AHL story is that Todd Nelson tends to know how to utilize and optimize what talent he has from the individual and team perspective.

Corollary: Alex Plante and Brad Hunt played in the AHL all-star games. Colin McDonald had over 100 NHL games, after being given up for dead. Vandevelde may make 100 NHL games. Chorney became near a break even plus/minu AHL defensemen under Nelson.

Some team other than the Oilers is going to get a good NHL coach at some point.

thejonrmcleod:

Aulie has a history and track record. I trust Ron Wilson’s and Peter Laviolette’s and Jon Cooper’s assessment of Keith Aulie.

This is not Aulie’s first rodeo.

Aulie had a nice run at the beginning of his NHL career. Sometimes players get injured/are used differently and it takes time to find the range. Aulie’s tripping the other night was trumpeted as the key to the loss but for me it was Nikitin singing La Cucaracha all damn night.

Ference and Schultz tend to be awful together, and both Petry and Fayne are handed boat anchors.

Fortunately the Rangers have multiple injuries on D, and particularly no McDonagh.

68. VanOil says:

Off topic but I think I have just stumbled upon away to define the Oilers Rebuilds;

1) The Pronger Rebuild. While the Owner and the Management do not accept this as a rebuild most rational observers would conclude losing a player who at the time was the best defender in Hockey and the subsequent missing of the playoffs the start of a rebuild. Coaching and Management change, able veterans flee.

2) The Hall Rebuild. This began when the Management decided they were no longer ‘chasing the dream’ and embraced the nightmare of a scorched earth policy of playing truly dreadful hockey. Obtaining Magic beans and drafting coke machines. 1st overalls for everyone. A GM of historic ineptitude.

3) The MacT Rebuild. I submit that this began the day he was hired as GM in waiting as his accession to the top job was obvious and ordained from day one. This era has seen massive roster change but little results. The question is are the results just lagging the process or if the rot and irrationality at the top of the organization insurmountable? Do you bet on a regression of luck or see systemic issues between the Oilers and PDO 1000?

Note: This could be equally be called the Jultz Rebuild to keep with the player names theme and his instant anointment as the foundation of our D core.

Will there there be a rebuild 4? The New Rink/Babcock/McDavid addition.

69. nelson88 says:

Taking my eldest son to his first Oilers/hockey game this evening. He’ll proudly be wearing the Oil drop hat his aunt and uncle sent him for his birthday.

Make is a good one boys. clap! clap!

70. Pouzar says:

nelson88,

Best of luck!

71. RexLibris says:

Bruce McCurdy: Sometimes the numbers become the narrative. I too have noticed that in specific cases, & caution against it.

10010011101100100001001011101001001000101010….wait for it…..2! <—- that's the M. Night Shyamalan ending.

72. Gordies Elbow says:

VanOil,

Rebuilds are usually focused on changes to core players.

#1, Pronger, Smyth, Horcoff rebuild? Yep.

#2, Addition of Hall, and the players around him? (Eberle, Hopkins, Yakupov, Jultz, etc.) Yep, that’s a rebuild.

#3, since hiring MacT? Until he trades a significant piece of the core (e.g. Hall) – not buying it as a rebuild.

73. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Adam Wu:
    Marincin has struggled lately.

The conversation is a lot broader than the odd HS, regardless of whether Aulie is the putative replacement.

The conversation has to take in the context of

1. last year’s success (with Petry; in the tough end; against the hard folks),

2. this Summer (gaining weight but maybe being out of shape and the mixed messages that seemed to happen between player and team about off-season workouts, habits and locations)

3. training camp and his immediate demotion in favor of Hunt

4. his recall only to get the top left corner of the graph for several games

5. his corsi struggles and visual struggles

6. his eventual scratching in favor of Aulie — apparently for the sake of “grit” (Eakins’ words)

That whole context suggests a lot of questions about Marincin’s handling as a young blue coming into the NHL.

The issue isn’t: can you HS a young blue on occasion even if he looks like he might be really good at some point?

The issue is… what is the Oilers’ plan for the Marincin’s future… because the road map laid out since he was first called up to the NHL doesn’t read like a course plotted with much forethought and care. Nor does it look like a course that is correcting itself into a well-thoughtout course for the future.

It looks haphazard and whimsical.

74. Pouzar says:

Romulus Apotheosis: The problem with the Marincin situation isn’t that some are blindsided by his success last year and figure he needs to play in the NHL all the time full stop.

The conversation has to take in the context of

1. last year’s success (with Petry; in the tough end; against the hard folks),

3. training camp and his immediate demotion in favor of Hunt

4. his recall only to get the top left corner of the graph for several games

5. his corsi struggles and visual struggles

This. A million times this.

I think he is dealt at some point this year or in the offseason.

75. Bruce McCurdy says:

godot10: Aulie has a history and track record.I trust Ron Wilson’s and Peter Laviolette’s and Jon Cooper’s assessment of Keith Aulie.

This is not Aulie’s first rodeo.

This is not Smith’s first rodeo.

76. Bruce McCurdy says:

RexLibris: 10010011101100100001001011101001001000101010….wait for it…..2!<—- that’s the M. Night Shyamalan ending.

Haha, nice.

77. wheatnoil says:

Bruce McCurdy: Godot10 in 1999: Jason Smith has a history and track record. I trust Jacques Lemaire’s and Lou Lamoriello’s and Pat Quinn’s assessment of Jason Smith.

This is not Smith’s first rodeo.

Thus, by transitory logic: Keith Aulie = Jason Smith. QED

🙂

78. Bruce McCurdy says:

wheatnoil: Thus, by transitory logic: Keith Aulie = Jason Smith. QED

79. Bag of Pucks says:

thejonrmcleod:

It’s not just the ‘bad’ players eithers. An expected reversion to the mean kept folks optimistic on the prospects for players like Dubnyk, Horcoff, Hemsky and Smid well past the point of return for those players as reversion was trumped by deterioration.

Speaks to the importance of avoiding definitive conclusions in a dynamic environment.

80. John Chambers says:

The conversation has to take in the context of

1. last year’s success (with Petry; in the tough end; against the hard folks),

3. training camp and his immediate demotion in favor of Hunt

4. his recall only to get the top left corner of the graph for several games

5. his corsi struggles and visual struggles

It looks haphazard and whimsical.

Sometimes I think the Oilers are treating their players like stocks, always trying to manipulate the price with either the ambition to sign the player on a low swing, or trade the player on the high.

But the problem is that they’re lousy at it and give Gagner the big contract after his best season, fail to sign Petry long-term when the opportunity presented itself, and miss the chance to sell high on Cogliano, Gagner, Eberle, etc etc after they over-achieve briefly in feature roles.

81. wheatnoil says:

Bruce McCurdy: Not saying that even a little bit. I’m merely pointing out the inherent flaw in the logic, admittedly using an extreme example of a player who bloomed late. In Smith’s case the proof was ultimately demonstrated, in Aulie’s we are 2 games into the trial.

I know, I’m just being a dink. Your point is well taken.

(I did try to put in a smiley face to express my lack of seriousness. I guess I don’t know what the appropriate emoticon is for ‘I’m being a dink’ but I fear it would be decidedly inappropriate.)

82. Bling says:

This is not Smith’s first rodeo.

It’s funny, Keith Aulie seems to have been around forever, but he’s actually only 25.

You’re right, it’s not inconceivable that the light goes on for him at some point.

I like that he’s willing to step up at times to negate possession; too many of our D are guilty of respecting the opposition too much.

He doesn’t seem to pass well, but if he can break up enough cycles and stand up some guys at the blue line with that long reach of his, it won’t matter. He’ll be effective.

83. Bruce McCurdy says:

wheatnoil: I know, I’m just being a dink. Your point is well taken.

No worries. I was kinda being a dink myself.
    🙂
    😀
    😉
    😛

Today’s #OKCBarons lines (LW-C-RW): R. Hamilton-Williams-Miller; C. Hamilton-Lander-Kessy; Moroz-Yakimov-Acton; Gazdic-Khaira-Ewanyk

Defensive pairings: Davidson-Hunt; Simpson-Oesterle; Musil-Gernat

Brossoit in net.

Sooo, that’s Yakimov back in action, Khaira on the 4line again, Gazdic one game closer to the NHL, Simpson-Oesterle are a lock to be together and Brossoit gets the start.

85. Bruce McCurdy says:

Defensive pairings: Davidson-Hunt; Simpson-Oesterle; Musil-Gernat

Brossoit in net.

That said, whoever goes against Gazdic-Khaira-Ewanyk today is in for some rugged moments. Good grief, what a line.

Bruce McCurdy: Interesting how Gazdic sinks to the 4th line even in the AHL. On merit, I suspect.

Yeah, I think that line will one day get called up to play Calgary as a unit. A REAL Bulldog line 🙂

87. OilClog says:

How much better would the D be with Jultz gone and Martin and Oscar in it?

We will never find out ;(

I’m guessing.

Too good to ever be Oilers.

88. VanOil says:

Seahawks broadcast mentioned Russel Wilson consulted Warren Moon on how to throw the ball in inclement weather, I hope he of asked for the cookie recipe too. Man, I miss those cookies. It was almost unfair having a Quarter Back that good in the CFL.

89. PunjabiOil says:

That’s a fair point

Bag of Pucks: Agree with this. Ference is probably a better example. Numbers saw him so bad last season that conclusions get reached (biases ingrained) and folks are reluctant to revise strongly held narratives as the numbers improve.

Horcoff covered a lot for Sam and the Nuge over the years with difficult ZS and heavy lifting. I think his Oiler career is underrated at this point.

Rene Bourque is on waivers. Hail Mary, full of Grace, the lord is with thee…

godot10:

I’m intrigued to see how they do in jultz’ current deployment though.

Last year they were 2nd pair, this time it’s easiest ZS and easiest comp.

Rene Bourque is on waivers. Hail Mary, full of Grace, the lord is with thee…

Hold me.

I’m scared.

94. VanOil says:

Rene Bourque is on waivers. Hail Mary, full of Grace, the lord is with thee…

Tambellini has conditioned me to think that this wouldn’t even temp the Oilers.

95. VanOil says:

I could see a situation where a Gadzook-Acton-Bourque line was rolled out by the Oilers this year. Man my drinks bill would be high for that one.

Sounds like Vigneault split up Girardi-Staal in an effort to have 2 ok pairings.

Klein w/ Staal now.

This game is an opportunity.

Go Oilers!!

*CLAP,CLAP*

*CLAP,CLAP,CLAP*

Brossoit stopped 14 of 15 shots in the first, down 1-0.

Gmoney,

See the fore-check there that turned into a turn over at 18:43?

I’ve been seeing that a lot this year.

Perron with a very bad play there.

Pakarinen nice job getting to the net there.

Money!

Hot damn!

Sweet play!

Nugent-Hopkins (Eberle, Pouliot) I didn’t think Benny touched it but a nice start.

104. VanOil says:

I wonder how many years it will take, if ever, for the Eastern media to release that Sweat Baby Nuge is a real live #1 NHL Center. The Oilers ever making the playoffs would probably help.

Very encouraged by the Oilers committing to their break out when under pressure.

Minimizing the OTGAO

106. Compete Level says:

1:20 a.m. I’m awake and listening and the oilers lead. 7 hours and I have to be somewhere. Don’t make me regret this Oilers.

107. VanOil says:

The Arco Yak line seems to be losing there match up tonight

108. Compete Level says:

Also Iiro Pakarinen has been a real pleasent surprise. I’m usually very skeptical and cautios of the finns that go over there. Awesome that he scored last game.

Compete Level:

Signed 2006+

110. "Frank The Dog" says:

teddyturnbuckle:

Coaching?

111. Bling says:

Holy crap Hagelin is fast.

It’s a joke.

112. VanOil says:

Whatever girl RNH is trying to impress this afternoon we should fly her to all the games. He is the best player on the ice and it is not even close.

113. Bling says:

Watching Nuge skate that puck out from behind the net was a thing of beauty.

Man that guy can wheel with the puck on his stick.

Great period for the Oil so far.

The Oilers have played well enough in spurts to win two games on this trip, but they’ve also had periods where you absolutely know they’re doomed. I saw both this period.

115. Bling says:

Big pass on Rene Bourque for me.

I think he’s done.

Compete Level:

You do have a high compete level sir.

117. []JUST[]KEEP[]CALM[]AND[]CORSI[]ON[] says:

VanOil:

Edit: And they showed some nice iso clips of Nuge… sniff he’s all growed up now…

118. Bling says:

How about David Pastrnak, drafted by the Bruins 25th overall last season?

10 points in 11 games, and +10, as an 18 year old in the AHL.

Pretty impressive.

Dal Colle, drafted by the Islanders, has 20 points in 12 games as an 18 year old.

Hard to imagine them not playing in the NHL next season.

1 line is working – RNH
    1 line having a tough match up – Gordon
    1 line having problems entering the ozone – Arco
    1 line having problems everywhere – Saddle

So Nikitin good and awful that period.

Jultz really doesn’t make a good decisions under pressure.

Among the worst on the Oiler’s D.

That was a poor decision by Eberle.

121. VanOil says:

[]JUST[]KEEP[]CALM[]AND[]CORSI[]ON[]: Rangers feed is going to do a piece on him this intermission. Anson Carter will be the hockey analyst.

Good to hear

I’m going to love Pouliot these seasons, and Leon had a nice moment down low there. Pakarinen should play more but the coach doesn’t trust him yet.

Petry skating it out and not passing it to Nikitin often.

Situational decisions.

124. []JUST[]KEEP[]CALM[]AND[]CORSI[]ON[] says:

There was a play there a while ago, that I interpreted his name as Peca-grindin’. Sure looks like there’s a player there.

125. []JUST[]KEEP[]CALM[]AND[]CORSI[]ON[] says:

Sweet Man-Nuge! Wow!

126. VanOil says:

Good Poo, Great Nuge

POU!!

RNH going supernova couldn’t have happened at a better time.

I think you split him and Hall.

Each of them can push the river.

Similar to how COL handled Sakic and Forsberg.

They played apart more than together and were better for it.

Pouliot (Nuge) 2-1 for the good guys.

129. dangilitis says:

Part of me thinks that the line is starting to find chemistry, whereas the other, more sensible part, thinks we need to trick Pouliot into thinking he is always playing a game against his former club….

All jokes aside, finding a competent linemate for RNH-Eberle not named Hall could open up a lot of possibilities when Hall returns, and could be an amazing thing that comes out of his injury. If Benoit can make a go of it with RNH and Eberle, it allows a Hall-Draisaitl-Yakupov line, then Purcell-Arcobello-Perron?

130. dessert1111 says:

Perron – RNH – Eberle
    Hall – Arco – Yak

Intriguing.

131. VanOil says:

Lundquist might have a future in hockey if the modeling does not work out..

132. []JUST[]KEEP[]CALM[]AND[]CORSI[]ON[] says:

Lunge-quist. Man, that was a save!

133. Jonathan Willis says:

Woodguy,

That’s what Chicago does with Toews and Kane, too (though with Hossa there it’s almost unfair).

134. The Artist formerly known as "NYCOIL" says:

Woodguy:
    POU!!

RNH going supernova couldn’t have happened at a better time.

I think you split him and Hall.

Each of them can push the river.

Similar to how COL handled Sakic and Forsberg.

They played apart more than together and were better for it.

I’ve been saying that all season. 🙁 Think Toews and Kane.

Add- Whenever we’ve discussed the “Chicago model” I’ve suggested if they truly want to follow that plan they need two “drivers” on different lines so that means Hall and Nuge on separate lines.

135. VanOil says:

dessert1111,

Pou-RNH-Eberle
    Hall-Draisaitl-Yak?

Jonathan Willis:
    Woodguy,

Chicago is such a wonder, I’d love to sit down on a Sunday night to that team. God

137. Pouzar says:

Woodguy:
    POU!!

RNH going supernova couldn’t have happened at a better time.

I think you split him and Hall.

Each of them can push the river.

Similar to how COL handled Sakic and Forsberg.

They played apart more than together and were better for it.

This. Throw Hall on a line with Arco and Yak.

138. Surly says:

What a great forecheck by Yakupov including a crafty chip that had a chance.

But lets get back to talking about his poor backchecking?!?!

139. Dicky94 says:

That Hayes is going to be a good player. Rangers always find big guys that can play.

140. dessert1111 says:

I like Pou to cover for Drais myself but could see him and Perron swapped.

There was a zone entry towards the beginning of this period where arco and yak made a couple of lightning quick passes. Looks like they are starting to be able to read each other, wouldn’t break it up.

While we are adjusting lines I prefer Pakarinen to Joenssu but breaking up that line could be flirting with disaster.

141. dangilitis says:

Pouzar,

I had suggested Draisaitl sandwiched between the 2, but maybe this is unfair. Teams will target any line Hall is on, and if they are going to keep playing Draisaitl’s wingers in odd positions to minimize his defensive responsibilities, that is really not a good use of Hall’s skills. Arco is not ideal either, and that is probably why this team needs a new center…

142. Zelepukin says:

what a difference the top line is when Pouliot and Eberle are actually putting an effort in.

143. VanOil says:

Schultz without a stick looked like a lost little boy

144. Pouzar says:

This a game we must win. No more PDO BS…just f^ckin win.

145. Zelepukin says:

yup, you can pretty much do whatever you want down low with the puck in Schultz’s corner.

146. The Artist formerly known as "NYCOIL" says:

Man, Lundqvist has to be in top form against the Oilers, doesn’t he. Oilers need to get that 3rd goal. Rangers will push back in the 3rd.

147. VanOil says:

I am believing in the shot clock and the opponent more tonight.

148. BeerMe says:

3rd period curse incoming?

149. Pouzar says:

dangilitis:
    Pouzar,

Any team that targets Hall will be dealing with Nuge et al against 2nd Comp…I like it

150. thejonrmcleod says:

Oilers’ CF% at even strength was 69.23% in the 2nd.

The Rangers announcers keep saying that they see a big improvement in RNH this season.

151. []JUST[]KEEP[]CALM[]AND[]CORSI[]ON[] says:

Some very good moments in this period – Draisaitl with a great defensive play in his own end, with a stickless Schultz on the ice, was foremost.

TBG (The Big German) is showing steady improvement. Cheers to Rom!

152. Gerta Rauss says:

Cool story about the Oilers and a German player(East German at that)

dessert1111:
    I like Pou to cover for Drais myself but could see him and Perron swapped.

I like Pouliot with Leon because his speed is good in recovery.

The Barons lose by Laurent Brossoit stops 30 of 32 in a 3-1 loss (Ryan Hamilton with the PP marker late from Hunt and Acton)

dessert1111:
    Perron – RNH – Eberle
    Hall – Arco – Yak

Intriguing.

Saddle takes over C there next year.

That’s depth.

Perron-Arco-Purcell is a pretty good 3rd line too.

156. []JUST[]KEEP[]CALM[]AND[]CORSI[]ON[] says:

BeerMe:
    3rd period curse incoming?

This isn’t the Bruins – they do that to most teams (play 10 minutes in the 3rd and win). The Rags played last night, and after the effort in the 2nd, I think the Oilers stand a good chance. But that might be the beer talkin’.

157. Jonathan Willis says:

Hall – Arcobello – Eberle
    Perron – Nugent-Hopkins – Yakupov
    Pouliot – Draisaitl – Purcell
    Hendricks – Gordon – Joensuu

I don’t really think that Arcobello’s up to the challenge, but I’d rather play Draisaitl between vets in softer minutes and at least Arcobello has some history in the slot.

One more good centre would help a lot.

158. G Money says:

Woodguy:
    Gmoney,

See the fore-check there that turned into a turn over at 18:43?

I’ve been seeing that a lot this year.

Hey WG,

I’m at the cabin this weekend, where I have internet but no TV…

It’s not the forecheck itself that I have a problem with, it’s the structure around the forecheck (of which I see little).

So the question I have for you (and I ask this honestly, not pointedly) is: did anything meaningful come of that forecheck, or was it just a forecheck and forced turnover but resulting in no chance because the structure wasn’t in place to take advantage? (That’s what I’ve been seeing, and why I call it individual efforts as opposed to a good gameplan)

Sounds like the Oilers are playing a darn good game …

My contention/calculation suggests that the Oilers need to play around 58% CF give or take in order to match teams chance for chance, sounds like they are doing that and are full value for the lead.

I guess it will come down to whether they can continue to match that given what I expect will be an inevitable Rangers pushback in the third.

159. leadfarmer says:

VanOil,

Not much better with a stick. For an offensive defenseman he sure lacks a shot and passing skills. That muffin from the high slot was a killer in the Ahl but doesn’t do much in the nhl.

160. jake70 says:

I don’t study line combos like most but do we not want Draisaitl on the wing given he is likely up with the team all year, this year? A la Seguin, MacKinnon? This presumes acquiring another center of course.

161. The Artist formerly known as "NYCOIL" says:

Jonathan Willis:
    Hall – Arcobello – Eberle
    Perron – Nugent-Hopkins – Yakupov
    Pouliot – Draisaitl – Purcell
    Hendricks – Gordon – Joensuu

One more good centre would help a lot.

I agree. Perron and Yakupov work well together, in my opinion so this is the lineup I proposed in the past as well. I think PDP line can be a demon cycle line.

Jonathan Willis:
    Hall – Arcobello – Eberle
    Perron – Nugent-Hopkins – Yakupov
    Pouliot – Draisaitl – Purcell
    Hendricks – Gordon – Joensuu

One more good centre would help a lot.

Oilers doing a good job stopping the cycle, breaking out and entering the zone with possession.

Very good systems.

/trollinggmoney

164. G Money says:

Woodguy,

Bastard!

EDIT: I just hope the Hockey Gords don’t seek revenge by letting the Rangers score a fluke goal!

Jonathan Willis:
    Hall – Arcobello – Eberle
    Perron – Nugent-Hopkins – Yakupov
    Pouliot – Draisaitl – Purcell
    Hendricks – Gordon – Joensuu

One more good centre would help a lot.

Wrong combos Jon.m

Pou-RNH-Ebs look good
    Hall-Arco-Yak would rely on Hall to push the river.

DrySaddle takes Arco’s spot next year and Perron-Purcell are fine wingers for Saddle this year.

166. G Money says:

How’s the compete level today?

Posture?

Eyeglow/60?

Inquiring minds sitting in the mountains want to know.

G Money:
    Woodguy,

Bastard!

Game is far from over, but the process looks good.

Jultz still isn’t good at getting the puck going the right way under pressure in his own zone.

*sigh*

G Money:
    How’s the compete level today?

Posture?

Eyeglow/60?

Inquiring minds sitting in the mountains want to know.

Eyeglow/60 good in the ozone.

Lots of puck hawks.

Could use more back pressure from the wings.

Pou is the best on the team at this.

169. []JUST[]KEEP[]CALM[]AND[]CORSI[]ON[] says:

Woodguy: Eyeglow/60 good in the ozone.

Lots of puck hawks.

Could use more back pressure from the wings.

Pou is the best on the team at this.

Also, LLG/60 (lollygag) is down this game.

170. thejonrmcleod says:

The Oilers’ CF% so far this period is 100%.

171. TemujinBC says:

The Edmonton Oilers are a team in the NHL after all.

I’ve got an eight year old here that is pleased as punch that Victor “Fast” is in net, and he’s been chanting Pouliot’s name since the goal.

Good times. Finish strong boys!

172. TemujinBC says:

thejonrmcleod,

Boo Birds are out at MSG

173. Pouzar says:

Woodguy: Wrong combos Jon.m

Pou-RNH-Ebs look good
    Hall-Arco-Yak would rely on Hall to push the river.

Agreed. That 1st line has some nice chemistry right now. Why break it up. Yak has had played well with Hall (duh) in the past.

174. G Money says:

Despite my criticisms (and I said this earlier in the year, I think after the TB game), the Oilers are a playoff team in the East.

175. VanOil says:

Parkarinen has sure over come what ever skating deficiencies plagued him in the draft or over came them with hustle and game sense.

176. []JUST[]KEEP[]CALM[]AND[]CORSI[]ON[] says:

TemujinBC: I’ve got an eight year old here that is pleased as punch that Victor “Fast” is in net

Life in the Fasth lane!!! (sorry Gene…)

177. OilClog says:

I thought Nuge went supernova in about his 3rd NHL game. He’s been injured, over used, not used properly since the shoulder break down, I’ve never understood any suggestion that his offence isn’t utterly amazing, because it is, long track record of it until Eakins.

Until Hall and Yak are reunited with whatever man down the middle for a healthy stretch I refuse to believe they wouldn’t be a nightmare for opposing teams. Kruger had them flying to end that year that gave us hope that will not be named.

Pouliot/Nuge/Ebs.. Let it play.
    Hall/Drai/Yak.. No better way to make young guys feel great then putting them in a place to see it.
    Perron/Arco/Purcell.. What a nitemare for a coach to plan against with this depth..
    Hendo/Gordo/Joneso.. MVP MVP MVP

Chance leading the iron curtain of boom..

178. Jonathan Willis says:

Woodguy,

Woodguy: Wrong combos Jon.m

Pou-RNH-Ebs look good
    Hall-Arco-Yak would rely on Hall to push the river.

Tough opposition follows Taylor Hall. I don’t think it’s wise to ask the duo of Yakupov and Arcobello to handle that.

179. Pouzar says:

Petry give away….HFOil says “I told you so.”

180. Zelepukin says:

Pouzar:
    Petry give away….HFOil says “I told you so.”

and that’s how we normally lose games.

181. The Artist formerly known as "NYCOIL" says:

TemujinBC,

Boo birds are often out at MSG. It’s the epitome of a “tough crowd.”

You know I love Jeff Petry but that was awful.

183. OilClog says:

Jonathan Willis:
    Woodguy,

Tough opposition can only be thrown at so many spots, if Nuge is causing grey hairs around the league I think you can take the.. Chance.

184. Zelepukin says:

irks me that Perron refuses to cycle the puck down-low. He’ll be there to pick it up but almost never cycles back.

185. TemujinBC says:

The Artist formerly known as “NYCOIL”,

One minute they were cheering “Lets Go Rangers” and the next “BOOOOOOOOOO”

Who was that Oiler Dman that just fell down while skating backwards 😮

186. icecastles says:

Am I really seeing what I seem to be seeing tonight? This game has been dominant all the way through. Damn I wish they played in the east. A million miles from being out of the woods, by even in the losses lately I’m seeing more to smile about than to fret about.

And against Vignault, I’d say Eakins is out-coaching the opposition tonight.

187. VanOil says:

I would be comfortable if Eakins looked at the 22 minutes that he has played Schultz so far an decided to rest him for the rest of the game.

188. []JUST[]KEEP[]CALM[]AND[]CORSI[]ON[] says:

The Artist formerly known as “NYCOIL”: It’s the epitome of a “tough crowd.”

Have you ever seen a jersey thrown on the ice?

G Money: Hey WG,

I’m at the cabin this weekend, where I have internet but no TV…

So the question I have for you (and I ask this honestly, not pointedly) is: did anything meaningful come of that forecheck, or was it just a forecheck and forced turnover but resulting in no chance because the structure wasn’t in place to take advantage?(That’s what I’ve been seeing, and why I call it individual efforts as opposed to a good gameplan)

Sounds like the Oilers are playing a darn good game …

My contention has been the history show us that Fen converges with SC and points.

Micro-analyzing is useless as teams, even very good ones, have good games and bad games.

190. The Artist formerly known as "NYCOIL" says:

The ghost of Carey Price vs. Chris Kreider.

Come on Oilers, bury one here. Would be nice to breathe easy for once.

191. boxman says:

Damn I think the Oilers are making big strides….in a good way

192. The Artist formerly known as "NYCOIL" says:

That quick move and pass down low by Yakupov to Perron was simply beautiful.

193. Marcus Oilerius says:

Holy shit, what wtf happened to the Oilers? Buffalo, well, ok, beating up an AHL team impresses all of nobody. But playing so well against the Rangers? And not collapsing in the final fifteen?

194. The Artist formerly known as "NYCOIL" says:

[]JUST[]KEEP[]CALM[]AND[]CORSI[]ON[]: Have you ever seen a jersey thrown on the ice?

You’re joking, right? Do you think the NYC crowd would put up with 8 years of suck before throwing a jersey on the ice? Edmonton is an EASY crowd by comparison.

195. Pouzar says:

Man that Purcell refuses to do anything with that puck till he’s damn good and ready! LOVE IT

196. Marcus Oilerius says:

Wagon line gets the grunt work and rewards itself with an ENG. Nice hit by Ference to open ymup the play.

197. The Artist formerly known as "NYCOIL" says:

Good job, boys. That’s two wins in back to back years in MSG! That’s awesome!

198. jp says:

That is real nice to see!!

Solid play by Ference too!

199. []JUST[]KEEP[]CALM[]AND[]CORSI[]ON[] says:

You know, EN goals sometimes deserve credit for being played well. And that one was.

Newer Comments »