NO. 2 PROSPECT (winter 2014): DARNELL NURSE

NURSE OILERS

These seasons in the wilderness are spent yearning for the things not available, beginning with a true stud defenseman. When the Edmonton Oilers drafted Darnell Nurse in 2013, they committed themselves to the player, and the player responded by working hard and earning an NHL shot as a teenager. The future appears bright, but when will it arrive?

PREVIOUSLY NUMBER TWO ON THE WINTER LIST

• December 2004: G Jeff Deslauriers
  • December 2005: C Marc-Antoine Pouliot
  • December 2006: C Rob Schremp
  • December 2007: C Andrew Cogliano
  • December 2008: R Jordan Eberle
  • December 2009: R Jordan Eberle
  • December 2010: R Jordan Eberle
  • December 2011: C Anton Lander
  • December 2012: D Justin Schultz
  • December 2013: D Oscar Klefbom

As with the No. 1’s over the last decade, the quality improved mid-to-late in the decade and we’ve seen real quality at this point each season. Men like Cogliano and Eberle are bona fide NHL players, with Schultz, Klefbom and (now) Nurse next in line. The Oilers Top 20 may not be at 2010 levels, but this is a quality player at number two on the list.

WHAT THEY SAID ON DRAFT DAY

nurse 2013

• Kyle Woodlief — USA Today: is the most naturally physical defender available. He made good strides in his offensive game and has a heavy shot that is an asset on the power play. He likes to dish out punishment along the walls and easily separates his check from the puck. Nurse also scores off the charts in both his character and intelligence levels, and at a gangly 6-5, already has the footwork of a much smaller man.
  • Corey Pronman — Hockey Prospectus: Nurse had a considerable amount of hype at the beginning of the season, and he has exceeded all expectations. He is a gifted physical player who has all the natural tools a scout could want from a defenseman. He has slowly begun to emerge as a two-way player, but his value comes from his high-end work in his own end. Nurse is a tall defender with an aggressive edge and the strength to consistently push his checks off pucks. He has above-average mobility, especially considering his larger size.
  • OHL PROSPECTS: Nurse is definitely my top prospect available from the OHL. The thing I like most about Nurse is how much he improved this season from the last. You need to look at that progression and think about just how good he could be, if he continues to tap into his athletic bloodlines (father was a CFL player), and continues to improve. He’s certainly a potential dynamo at both ends of the ice. His size (6’5, pushing 200lbs), makes him an asset in the defensive end. As does his skating ability. He’s incredibly difficult to get around and he’s physical enough to intimidate. As he gets stronger, I expect his physical game to become more consistent and more effective. He certainly has the mentality to be a bruiser.
  • Craig MacTavish: “He gives us an element we’re sorely lacking. He’s a guy who, over time, if we’re patient with him, is going to provide us with toughness. He’s a guy that will ride shotgun for a lot of our first overall picks and our skilled players for a lot of years. But our overriding draft philosophy is still to draft the player who is going to have the greatest impact on our team over time.  Based on that philosophy, I still thought Darnell was the player who is going to have the greatest impact on our team.”

PRE-DRAFT RANKINGS

• Summer 2014: No. 2
  • Winter 2014: No. 2

2014-15

mact on nurse

OFFENSE, BY DISCIPLINE

PLAYER EV PP PK TOTAL
DARNELL NURSE 2012-13 68, 10-17-27(.397) 68, 2-10-12 (.176) 68, 0-2-2 68, 12-29-41 (0.60)
DARNELL NURSE 2013-14 64, 6-15-21 (.328) 64, 6-21-27 (.422) 64, 1-1-2 64, 13-37-50 (.781)
DARNELL NURSE 2014-15 8, 0-6-6 (.750) 8, 2-2-4 (.500) 8, 0-0-0 8, 2-8-10 (1.25)

In 2013-14, Nurse’s offense increased overall and his power-play numbers spiked handsomely. It’s important for us to remember that young defenders rarely get heavy 5×4 minutes and that’s very likely for Nurse when he arrives in the NHL. This season, we don’t have enough of a sample size to draw many conclusions beyond he’s posted some nice numbers.

nurse tc

Texas Stars vs. OKC Barons 4-16-14

WHAT THEY’RE SAYING NOW

• Michael Parkatti: “All you can really ask of your prospects is that they progress. I think it’s pretty obvious he progressed year over year. It’s probably a function of the opportunity he was given, he was playing behind some older players during his draft season. It’s good to see that he performed pretty well when given the chance. In terms of his chances, you have to look at the depth chart and think he has a shot here.”
  • SSM GM Kyle Dubas: “People get obsessed with Darnell’s plus/minus (plus-1, down from plus-15 the year prior), but his underlying numbers are excellent. Relative to the competition he plays [against], he does extremely well. Far greater than 50 percent of the time, the puck is not in our end. To me, it doesn’t get much bigger than that. If we’re taking the other team’s best players and forcing them to play in their end and away from the puck, that’s a successful day. The quality of competition he’s faced is higher than anyone else in our league, especially among defencemen.
  • Ryan Dittrick: Averaging more than 27 minutes per game against the opposition’s best players, “with no exceptions,” night after night in all situations? “That’s Darnell,” Dubas says. “There are no shifts off.” He’s been a force, an absolute brute on the Soo blueline.
  • Darnell Nurse: “If I come in ready and play myself into a spot they’re not going to take it away from me.”
  • Bob McKenzie, TSN: It’s expected Darnell Nurse will be on EDM’s season opening 23-man roster. What happens beyond first week will depend on performance.
  • Dallas Eakins on Nurse making his NHL debut: “It’s hard sticking your toe in the water (as a rookie), but Darnell has put on a ton of strength over the summer and his game has come a long way. What better challenge than the Kings. It’ll be good for him to see what it’s all about and he’s a highly-motivated kid. I expect a lot of passion from Darnell.”
  • Darnell Nurse on making his NHL debut: “I’m just going out there to live my dream. They’re a great team obviously but I can’t be out there in awe. No matter who it was, I’d be nervous. But I’m looking forward to it. I’m excited. I know I’m capable of playing at this level, and there’s a bit of chemistry with Justin from playing with him in the pre-season. I’m going to play a steady game and he can handle the offensive part of it.”
  • Dallas Eakins on Nurse being sent back to junior: “The kid couldn’t do anymore. He played as well as he could but this is what’s best for him and what’s best for our organization in the long run. The best thing for him is to play against his peers right now.”
  • SSM Greyhounds Coach Sheldon Keefe: “So there’s a lot of work for him to put in as well, so we’ll be here to help him through that whole process of looking to make the (Canadian) World Junior Team, and the NHL as well.”

DARNELL NURSE 14-15 (OILERS)

• 5×5 points per 60: nil
  • 5×4 points per 60: nil
  • Qual Comp: 6th toughest
  • Qual Team: 6th best
  • Corsi Rel: 9.3
  • Corsi for % 5×5: 56.4
  • Zone Start: 78.6% (easiest among defensemen)
  • Shots on goal/percentage: 2 shots
  • Boxcars: 2GP, 0-0-0

DARNELL NURSE WOWY

darnell nurse wowy

Nurse played only two regular season games (16:59 TOI times 2) and his top partner was Justin Schultz. I think the Oilers (rightly) view Nurse as a possible top-pairing blue during the peak of his career, but playing alongside Schultz is a difficult thing to do. He performed well against tough opposition and I think it’s a good thing the organization got him a cup of coffee. Knowing the gap, and how far away the NHL is, can be good for young players.

THE FUTURE

Based on his skating, size, and mean streak, I think we’re looking at a top drawer defensive prospect and someone who stands a good chance of making the big team in October 2015. I don’t see him as a power-play monster but he’s so strong and long (with terrific speed) it’s possible he plays well over 20 minutes a night anyway. If Nurse can stay away from injury, and learns the finer points of the NHL game, I suspect he’ll have a long and productive career.

nurse petes

THE 2013 NHL DRAFT

• Darnell Nurse, No. 7 overall. Good arrows, already played 2 NHL games. A bright future ahead. Inside the Top 20.
  • Marco Roy, No. 59 overall. Injuries have impacted him since draft day. Inside the Top 20.
  • Bogdan Yakimov, No. 83 overall. Mammoth Russian progressing smartly. Inside the Top 20.
  • Anton Slepyshev, No. 88 overall. Slick Russian winger running in place in the KHL. Candidate for winter 20.
  • Jackson Houck, No. 94 overall. Enjoying a good season. Candidate for winter 20.
  • Kyle Platzer, No. 96 overall. Emerging as a quality NHL prospect this year. Inside the Top 20.
  • Aidan Muir, No. 113 overall. Now in college, scoring a little. Candidate for winter 20.
  • Evan Campbell, No. 128 overall. Scoring well in college this year. Candidate for winter 20.
  • Ben Betker, No. 158 overall. Huge defender continues to progress. Candidate for winter 20.
  • Greg Chase, No. 188 overall. Signed a contract, strong camp, weird WHL season so far. Inside the Top 20.

The 2013 draft is tracking very well after Year 1. Two players have made it to the NHL for a cup of coffee and men like Greg Chase and Kyle Platzer have jumped their draft number in the 17 months since draft day.

61 Responses to "NO. 2 PROSPECT (winter 2014): DARNELL NURSE"

1. Zangetsu says:

Valeri Nichushkin
    Rasmus Ristolainen

I don’t think he will ever be more than a number 2. If we weren’t stupid and actually lost games against teams that benched half their rosters for the playoffs, we would be talking seth jones.

2. Lloyd B. says:

The Oilers appear to be taking the right path with Nurse. Too bad they couldn’t have done the same with Draisatl. Nurse next year to the AHL for the entire season. Year after until he passes the ELC/UFA clb criteria and the Oilers will have developed a prospect perfectly. Both from an organizational and players perspective. MUSIC !! Perfect timing with the Nikitan contract. Trade NN for high round magic beans to a contender with Nurse as his replacement. Silver fox ….yes…sly fox…we wait.

3. PunjabiOil says:

The 2 wins cost them the opportunity to draft 5th overall

So Seth Jones probably wouldn’t have been on the radar. Monahan would likely have been the target.

Are we convinced Nurse is inferior to Lindholm, Monahan, Jones, or Nichushkin?

I wanted Nichushkin back then, but now understand the line of thinking that Nurse can have a greater impact to the team. If the marginal difference of production/output between a Benoit Pouliot and Valeri Nichushkin is not significant, and Darnell Nurse is a legitimate top 4 defenceman with top pairing upside, then it may just have been the right call.

PunjabiOil:
    The 2 wins cost them the opportunity to draft 5th overall

So Seth Jones probably wouldn’t have been on the radar.Monahan would likely have been the target.

Are we convinced Nurse is inferior to Lindholm, Monahan, Jones, or Nichushkin?

I wanted Nichushkin back then, but now understand the line of thinking that Nurse can have a greater impact to the team.If the marginal difference of production/output between a Benoit Pouliot and Valeri Nichushkin is not significant, and Darnell Nurse is a legitimate top 4 defenceman with top pairing upside, then it may just have been the right call.

I remain fine with the pick, and had Nichushkin and the Finnish defender ahead of him. The Oilers invested a valuable pick in Nurse and he’s making good progress. We CAN say Nichushkin had a helluva start to his career and that’s a fact. I don’t think that makes Nurse a poor pick, though.

5. boxman says:

First Zangetsu that is revisionist hardy de har har drivel. Next Lloyd B …. are you trying for sarcasm? As for Nurse I see him as getting better every year for years to come and can’t see him playing for too long in the AHL. Go Oilers !!

6. VanOil says:

I really hope that Nurse thrives in the AHL next year. I really believe we will get to watch him struggle in the NHL instead. Lucky us.

7. PunjabiOil says:

Nichushkin has definitely had a good start, remains to be seen if he is a 1st liner.

He produced well last year, but also spent alot of time with Seguin and Benn.

What’s with Hemsky’s production in Dallas? -7, 1 point in 14 games.

8. Rondo says:

PunjabiOil:
    The 2 wins cost them the opportunity to draft 5th overall

Are we convinced Nurse is inferior to Lindholm, Monahan, Jones, or Nichushkin?

I suspect Monahan was rated higher than Nurse for the Oilers and Jones would not have been available at 5-7 but Lindholm and Nichushkin were rated lower.

9. Pouzar says:

Still love the pick. He has off the charts athleticism and a mean streak.
    The amount of ground the kid can cover in a short amount of time is breath taking.
    I can easily see him being a dominant first pairing defender. Just needs to calm the feet a bit but it’s hard not to put the the peddle to the metal when yer driven a Porsche. He’s a beauty. #yeahilikeNurse

10. RexLibris says:

This was in the last thread, I’ll bring it here for discussion.

I love this kid. That face has “shit-disturbing son” written all over it.

Kudos to Gordie’s Elbow for posting it.

11. speeds says:

PunjabiOil:
    The 2 wins cost them the opportunity to draft 5th overall

Are we convinced Nurse is inferior to Lindholm, Monahan, Jones, or Nichushkin?

The marginal difference between Nikitin and Stralman though, if you had Nichushkin and didn’t sign Pouliot, might be greater , a guy would have to really look at that sort of marginal analysis.

12. PunjabiOil says:

It was mentioned by Stauffer that the scouts wanted Nichushkin, but MacT overruled him in selecting Nurse.

Makes you wonder just how much weight Stu has, especially with the 1st round picks.

He wanted Seguin, they drafted Hall
    He wanted Murray, they drafted Yakupov
    He wanted Nichushkin, they drafted Nurse

Wouldn’t surprise me if it eventually comes out that he wanted Bennett, but MacT wanted Draisaitl.

13. Lloyd B. says:

boxman,
    I don’t respond too often on the blog. Read it often and its usually running in the background. I dont have the time to put the work into the stats, fancy or otherwise, but I do appreciate the time and efforts put in by the guys that do. I’m very much a “seen em good” guy. Too old not too. I certainly don’t have time to make sarcastic comments. My comments are the way I see it.

PunjabiOil:

He wanted Seguin, they drafted Hall
    He wanted Yakupov, they drafted Nurse
    He wanted Nichushkin, they drafted Nurse

15. PunjabiOil says:

True, it goes that way too.

Having that said, if they really wanted Stralman instead of Nikitin, they probably could have.

NN remains a questionable gamble. If he waits a week later, he probably could have been acquired for even less. The extra salary probably pertains to desired certainty.

16. PunjabiOil says:

My typing mistake. You’re correct.

And for the record, I was severely against drafting Murray over Yakupov. The whole city was over uproar over the hints leading up to the draft.

I still maintain it would have been the wrong selection, based on the upside that Yakupov possesses.

17. Pouzar says:

RexLibris:
    This was in the last thread, I’ll bring it here for discussion.

I love this kid. That face has “shit-disturbing son” written all over it.

Kudos to Gordie’s Elbow for posting it.

What’s HFOil gonna talk about now?

PunjabiOil:

My typing mistake.You’re correct.

Me too. The Oilers got the right player and he’s going to be a great NHL player. Love that guy.

19. RexLibris says:

Pouzar: What’s HFOil gonna talk about now?

Care to incite a riot?

20. Pouzar says:

RexLibris: We could start a rumour that Pouliot is supplanting Hall and the organization is priming the city for a trade.

Care to incite a riot?

Let’s do it!

21. Магия 10 says:

Lowetide: My understanding of the 2012 draft was the scouts wanted Ryan Murray, Katz intervened and Yakupov was the pick. Stand to be corrected, though.

“It is a riddle wrapped in a mystery inside an enigma: but perhaps there is a key”

The only thing I’d be certain about is that they took a final round of input from the scouts and that Stu did not tell anyone at that session which way he was recommending. #ReadingTeaLeaves

There were also deliberate hints that Tavares would be skipped. #ManufacturedUproar

22. Магия 10 says:

RexLibris:
    This was in the last thread, I’ll bring it here for discussion.

I love this kid. That face has “shit-disturbing son” written all over it.

Kudos to Gordie’s Elbow for posting it.

Only thing to top this would be Eakins growing sideburns.

23. Marcus Oilerius says:

The PDO hammer seems to be on the downswing for Calgary. That’s a much earlier correction than what Colorado or Toronto received, if it holds.

24. VanOil says:

All the talk, after RNH’s heroics yesterday, about where he should play and who he should play with is largely neither here nor there.

What can be confidently conferred is where he should not play. That is with team Canada at the World Championships this spring, when the Oilers miss the playoffs again. Instead he should be returned to Burnaby, his horses, his 100 shots a day practices and the workout and diet program he followed last summer.

10 more pounds of Nuge and 10,000 more practice shots has worked wonders, more again please.

I have long claimed the Oilers can not win the Cup until Nuge can grow a beard. Now that we can see the effect his mustache is having the results should be spectacular.

25. Pouzar says:

VanOil:

This.

And he is rockin the mo-stache. Baby Nuge steps.

26. RexLibris says:

Marcus Oilerius:
    The PDO hammer seems to be on the downswing for Calgary.That’s a much earlier correction than what Colorado or Toronto received, if it holds.

Its one game. They are going back and forth in shots and Carolina was due for a correction as well.

Not to mention, the Hurricanes were embarrassed 5-0 last time out, so there may some motivation.

If they drop three of the next four, though, then I think we can say that the air is gradually being let out of their tires.

27. cabbiesmacker says:

Off topic but I didn’t see this posted prior. Very touching. Well done Sharks. Well done

This goal by Seth Griffith is ridiculous

I love all the skill in the NHL.

Lots of good young men playing this game lately.

PunjabiOil,

The extra salary probably pertains to desired certainty.

You nailed it.

There were almost no decent UFA D in the OIler’s range and given who they have coming they didn’t want to have to go 5 years with anyone.

They overpaid NN, and know they overpaid NN, for certainty and a 2 year contract.

Pouzar: What’s HFOil gonna talk about now?

I’m waiting for Godot.

31. oliveoilers says:

Care to incite a riot?

I predict a riot…..

32. Rondo says:

Woodguy,

de nihilo nihilum

Mike’s very detailed Oilers fancy stats update is up:

Lots you guys who want more detail will like what Mike does.

Breaks coris down via how each player does against the various opponents lines and Dpairs.

Also gets very detailed with shot distance (for and against) which is essentially shot quality.

Great stuff, lots to digest.

Woodguy: I’m waiting for Godot.

Everything’s dead but the tree.

35. RMGS says:

Lowetide: Everything’s dead but the tree.

Can one win the thread on his own blog?

36. The Artist formerly known as "NYCOIL" says:

Lowetide: Everything’s dead but the tree.

Nothing to be done

(P.S. Saw Sirs Ian Mackellen and Patrick Stewart perform that on Broadway last year. Awesome stuff!)

37. Pouzar says:

Wow Sanchez reborn in Philly. Nice drive.

38. The Artist formerly known as "NYCOIL" says:

I’d just like to repost from Oct. 26 about splitting up Hall and RNH:

“Yak has 9 shots on goal in 8 games. His attention to D has sacrificed his O. He needs to play with better players to help him get his attacking game back. Full stop. Arco and Pouliot are not good enough in that regard. Full stop. It would be great if Yak could carry a line by himself like Hall can, but it seems clear he isn’t yet there, if he ever will.
    I know I get cursed out by people every time I suggest it, but the true Chicago model has the best winger and the best centre on separate lines (Toews and Kane do not play together except on the PP)
    The team isn’t in any kind of position to break up the Hall-Nuge-Eberle line because it is the only line capable of going against the best opposition other than Gordon’s line. I get it.
    It should be: Hall-Draisaitl-Eberle, Perron-Nuge-Yak, Pouliot-Arcobello-Purcell but it can’t because Draisaitl isn’t ready. To me this is still on MacT for not getting one more capable C in that can handle the workload as 2C in a responsible manner.”

2 weeks later we’re all on board now with splitting up Hall and Nuge and Yak is leading the team in shots on goal? Hallelujah!

39. The Artist formerly known as "NYCOIL" says:

I will say that Yak last night played the most complete game I’ve ever seen him play. True, he didn’t score, but he did so many good things.

Nuge is going nova in year 4? Looks like.

Yak may go nova back half of year 3. If he were a stock I’d be filling my boots with spring call options on him right now.

40. Pouzar says:

The Artist formerly known as “NYCOIL”,

Don’t forget my boy Ebs. He was dangerous all night. He may be getting close to 100% again.

41. The Artist formerly known as "NYCOIL" says:

Pouzar:
    The Artist formerly known as “NYCOIL”,

Apologies. Well, that’s music!

Pouzar:
    The Artist formerly known as “NYCOIL”,

Eberle looking as strong as he has without Hall is the key to being able to split those guys up.

RNH can now steer the boat and RNH isn’t just along for the ride.

Hall drives any boat he climbs on.

Boats.

43. VanOil says:

The NFL’s vaunted scheduling brilliance is taking a hammering this year with there National televised games. The blowouts have made the second half meaningless in most, especially the Thursday night games.

If Chip Kelly’s Eagles can some how land Marcus Mariota they will be a football power for a decade.

Woodguy: I’m waiting for Godot.

Have they cancelled the Oilers’ Western Conference games or something? The Oilers are tracking pretty close to my 73-point prediction at the moment.

Social media and public relations and publicity are now inextricably intertwined. There is some probability that the twitter picture was staged by the Oilers media dept. There is about as much “truth” or “authenticity” in social media as there is in the mainstream media these days, little to none.

Pretty much everything is manipulated all the time. Just look at the slow death march net neutrality is experiencing in North America. That plus the surveillance state and big data analytics, and at every moment less and less of what you see or read is “real”.

VanOil:

Chp Kelly’s system doesn’t seem very QB dependent. Vick, Foles, and Sanchez all have run it successfully. His advantage may be that he won’t have to pay a quarterback $20 million dollars or 15-20% of the teams cap space, and be able to spend it on a deeper roster.

46. alice13 says:

“The Oilers appear to be taking the right path with Nurse. Too bad they couldn’t have done the same with Draisatl.”

I’m glad this came up here today, as I was going to bring something up wrt LT’s assertion the other day that keeping Herman up was ‘indefensible”

Because I think if there’s a defence for keeping him up, it’s about Nurse, and that balance thing.

Drasaitl has to cut his teeth sometime, and he can’t play in the AHL even Next year, so unless we’re adding him at draft+2.5 seasons he’s getting his pro hockey learning curve in the NHL. Much as we grouse about Oilers rushing everybody, I count only 1 rookie in the lineup this year.

Nurse is getting 2 seasons of post-draft seasoning, and possibly(likely) an AHL stint as well, but will almost certainly hit the lineup sometime in the 15-16 campaign. As a rookie.

So does it really make more sense to add an Olli Jokinen this year to make the playoffs, then break-in two rookies next year and perhaps fall back? Or get some man-hair on Drasaitl this year, and have One rookie again next year?

I get that it would be nice to have a depth piece at C, to take some road minutes or not to leave us sucking air if RNH bends his pubis or something, but I am totally on board with taking Drasaitl’s learning curve in stride this year, and Then taking Nurse’s next year. One at a time. Balance.

47. FTO says:

Anyone watching the super series game? Chase playing up with Sam Reinhart on the top line, as lowetide would say… Music!

Also the youngest player there on Russia a defenseman for Brandon, looks very intruiging. Man this draft is stacked.

48. TireFire says:

Grabbed a chance for some free tix to the OS Attack game on Sat and saw Platzer. For those wondering, he is actually playing centre. In addition to the top line, he also centres the top PP unit. He plays PK and was the first forward out on the 5-on-3, so he must have the coach’s trust. That’s always a good sign. He seemed to be quite good positionally on defence, and seemed to read the play pretty well.

He seems really mobile on his skates with good edge work. I didn’t get a good read on his top speed (sitting behind the net, hard to judge speed in a straight line towards or away). I’d say his speed is decent for this level, but not elite. He managed to surprise one defender with a burst of speed while shorthanded though. Coming in at the blue line, he burst forward and got entirely around the defender for a really nice shot that went crossbar-down that had to be reviewed to see it wasn’t a goal. Played a key part in the final goal with a really nice possession, doing a 540 deg. circuit of the O-zone.

Was excited to see Ho-Sang for the Spits, but he had a “meh” game. D-man Bigras (2nd round to Avs) was probably the best player on the ice. He personally ended three Spits possessions in a row with a smothering gap control and an active stick. Really good anticipation on a perfectly timed stick lift when his team got running around in their own zone as well.

49. The Artist formerly known as "NYCOIL" says:

TireFire,

Do you live in Owen Sound? My dad’s side of the family is from there. I was there on Saturday, too (not watching the game, mind you).

50. TireFire says:

The Artist formerly known as “NYCOIL”,

Not full time, I spend quite a few weekends there lately, GF works up there at the moment. Nice little place: good hiking, beautiful waterfall right at the edge of town, and who knew you could see salmon jumping upstream in Ontario?

51. Marcus Oilerius says:

godot10,

I don’t mean to be flippant, because I’m speaking from past experience here – do you smoke pot? When I used to, I’d make cynical observations that jump around between subjects and draw odd parallels, much like to your post. I really hope you don’t get upset whether I’m right or wrong. It’s just a bit uncanny how similar your post read to what mine had been like a few years ago.

Marcus Oilerius:
    godot10,

I don’t mean to be flippant, because I’m speaking from past experience here – do you smoke pot?When I used to, I’d make cynical observations that jump around between subjects and draw odd parallels, much like to your post.I really hope you don’t get upset whether I’m right or wrong.It’s just a bit uncanny how similar your post read to what mine had been like a few years ago.

“Uh, a quick question: Have you recently hammered several spikes deep into your brain? When I do that, my verbal doesn’t really match what I’m thinking.”

53. oliveoilers says:

Lowetide: Haha! Oh my God. I think this is a first, but honestly we should start this kind of questioning.

LT, do you ever drink beer? I do, and when I’ve had a lot, I find it severely inhibits my ability to operate machinery such as motor vehicles in a safe manner. And that the wife is mad at me for some reason.

Marcus Oilerius:
    godot10,

It wasn’t clear whether Woodguy

1) was being completely rhetorical
    2) was asking me to comment on the immediate topic (Eakins tweet)
    3) was asking me to comment on my thesis for the last 13 months, that Eakins is a narcissistic inexperienced incompetent NHL-level coach.

So I reflected on all three.

55. Pretendergast says:

godot10,

Hold up I’ll make you a tinfoil hat, we can watch Last week tonight and relate it to hockey it will be amazing!
    No disrespect meant i just really thought your post was funny 🙂

56. Hammers says:

My problem is that the key to success is “D” that are over 25 & under 30 and goalies around 30 when you get them and its hard to wait that long . My point is that I would have taken Nichuskin and in turn traded Eberle for the type of “D” I like .Nurse will be great but we have another few years to wait for him . This whole rebuild has been ass backwards even though I love all the players we drafted . By the time Marincin , Klefbom and Nurse ( also potentially Gernat , Musil & Simpson ) are at the top of there game we may have trouble keeping Hall , Eberle , Hopkins & Yak . The old saying of draft the best player you can was true probably up to Nurse . Bold moves is what it’s going to take and you have to give to get and the better player you give the better we get back . NEED the top “D” and goalie .

godot10: It wasn’t clear whether Woodguy

1) was being completely rhetorical
    2) was asking me to comment on the immediate topic (Eakins tweet)

So I reflected on all three.

I was just waiting for you to take that nice picture with the delicious looking dessert and make a turd sandwich out of it.

58. stevezie says:

RexLibris:
    This was in the last thread, I’ll bring it here for discussion.

I love this kid. That face has “shit-disturbing son” written all over it.

Kudos to Gordie’s Elbow for posting it.

This is from Eakins’ verified twitter, right?

Does it appear to anyone else that coach has deleted all his tweets or am I doing something wrong?

59. FTO says:

stevezie,

Yeah I noticed it and was very disappointed, that tweet rocked!

60. stevezie says:

FTO,

What was it?

61. T0ML says:

got a screenshot for it … To clarify, screenshot of the tweet that is no longer around.

Got a nice chuckle out of it.