FORENSIC FILES

The Craig MacTavish media conference came and went like a streak across the sky, leaving the gathered masses the task of instantly reacting as well as taking time to digest the moment. It reminded me of a time in my life when the latest album release involved the ceremony of purchasing, racing home, listening, calling friends to give an initial reaction, and then settling in to memorize each verse and line. I don’t think today was Physical Graffiti but it was far beyond In Through the Out Door.

If I were a comedian, I would have titled this post “We’re not sure about much but Stu MacGregor shouldn’t have been invited to the Christmas Party” and that brings up a very important question. If you’re not onside with Stu MacGregor and his scouts, how can you possibly employ them beyond today? The Oilers wouldn’t have time to cobble together another scouting staff, but frankly I’m not comfortable with the idea that the Oilers are going to call out their amateur scouts and THEN use their homework to prepare for the important 2015 draft.

Are you? Does that make any sense at all?

I spoke to Corey Pronman today, asked him about 2015 compared to 2003 (in terms of quality and depth). Corey said he wasn’t prepared to say 2015 was 2003 strong, but he clearly believes this is a top drawer draft season.

The Edmonton Oilers have a very big problem: They’ve told us they don’t trust their amateur scouts AND they’ve told us the most important thing is procurement through the amateur draft.

colbert

Dear amateur scouts the world over,

We’ve just thrown our scouts under the bus and were wondering if you’d like to come work for us? We have a lottery pick and pay for your gas!

(And mark it urgent)

146 Responses to "FORENSIC FILES"

1. Ca$h-Money! says:

I’d be pissed about this, but frankly I’m starting not to care. It’s been a long day to cap off 8 long years.

Anyone who knows me or has seen me knows I know a thing or two about losing, if there was ever any concern. This, ladies and gentlemen, is how it’s done.

2. PaperDesigner says:

This organization likes to make some sort of change every five years or so in the scouting department, and then pretend everything is fixed.

Barry Fraser is retiring! Our scouting is fixed! We have a farm team again, our development system is fixed! We fired Kevin Predergast, our scouting is fixed! We assessed our scouts a few years ago, our organization is fixed!

One has to wonder how many times they have to fix their scouting before it’s actually better.

Are you? Does that make any sense at all?

The answer, as it always is, Because Oilers.

4. Ribs says:

And for anyone who missed it…

It (absence of drafted players from later rounds) undermines the performance of everything we do on and off the ice, and it has to get better. From the minute we took over we focused on improving our draft record. You’re right, there were only two players who played in Winnipeg drafted outside of the first round. So we’re acutely aware of the former inadequacies of our draft after the first round. We’ve worked hard to improve all of our draft processes. We are more regionally focused. There’s more of an emphasis on getting to know the players, interviewing the players. We’ve integrated a lot of analytics into our decision making. We’ve integrated a lot of technology into our video scouting. We’ve got more management now in the field communicating with our scouts. We’ve got a draft philosophy since I took over in an effort to improve our draft record.Last year’s draft is tough to evaluate because we didn’t have a 2nd or 3rd round pick. The draft before I think we’ve added a lot of pieces & a lot of things that we needed.

We’re not in a position today to be spending future assets to try and prop this group up currently. When we get to the point where we’re competing for a playoff spot, at that point we’ll entertain thoughts of expending future assets and draft choices. We can’t get to the draft next year in a similar situation without having our drafting choices. I want to be clear about that. We’re going to continue to draft and keep our draft choices. – http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/2014/12/05/live-blog-craig-mactavish-addresses-the-edmonton-media-about-the-state-of-the-oilers/

5. Captain Smarmy says:

Man alive. Last year I watched one game on TV and went to the Penguins game (arguably the best game they played last year. Yay me.)

I haven’t watched a second of the Oilers this year. Not even high lights. I just check this blog because LT has such a nice reasonable pulse on this team.

This isn’t a commentary on the product on the ice (since I’m not watching) but this organization sounds completely terrible. Like nothing anybody is posting or linking too sounds good. Even LT whose one of the more level-headed fans I’ve come across doesn’t sound to happy if you read between the line.

From Katz on down the organization should feel embarrassed.

6. pocession charge says:

I’m wondering if the organization would do just as well or better by picking players from Central Scouting’s list. They sure aren’t doing well with the current ‘professional’ scouting system that they employ.

7. Raider Jesse says:

Someone call Craig Button, Corey Pronman and hope to hell Musil and Kurri still like us.

8. PaperDesigner says:

pocession charge:
    I’m wondering if the organization would do just as well or better by picking players from Central Scouting’s list.They sure aren’t doing well with the current ‘professional’ scouting system that they employ.

Would they know how to develop those players once they drafted them?

I was too busy to comment on the MacT avail, but one thing stuck out.

MacT didn’t own it and whined that he can’t get the C he wants in the trade market.

He totally missed that he should have got the C he could on a very short term in the summer.

I like MacT and want him to succeed, but if he doesn’t think he made a big error on C then I fear the future.

He fucked up on Ference in term, he tried very hard to make a colossal mistake on Clarkson and was sad when he couldn’t, Nikitin, Petry’s one year contract, and other errors.

On the other hand, the trade down the 2013 2nd and grabbing a ton of guys was perfect. I like the Perron deal, I like Fayne, like Hendricks way more than I thought I would, love Gordon, love B. Pouliot, like Arco and think Purcell isn’t bad value for Sam given the situation.

I think he handled the Goalie situation ok too although the results are dismal.

I’m really torn.

He small moves are right, but his big ones are biting him in the ass.

Imagine if Clarkson was here at $6.0/yr for the next X years?

Lordy.

Ribs,

We’ve integrated a lot of analytics into our decision making.

@JonathanWillis: Gosh, I’d love to see the “analytics” on Liam Coughlin and Evan Campbell.”

11. Post Morty says:

So out of all the inadequacies of this team (player development, pro scouting, defense deployment, and of course – wins), it’s amateur scouting that gets fingered?

PaperDesigner: Would they know how to develop those players once they drafted them?

Now yes.

During Tambo, no.

I think “prospect” TOI is up in the AHL compared to the Tambo years.

Players gotta play.

AHL vets should be happy to make 6 figures to play hockey regardless of their ice time, but players you’ve invested pick in need to play to figure potential as a pick costs a lot of free gold.

13. cahill says:

The main thing that I disliked about MacT’s presser. He was throwing people under the bus, but no accountablity on his part.
    Whenever MacKinnon made a remark such as the blueprint might not be right. He took great offense and started asking what is he suppose to do? I don’t have the answers MacT but you probably should cause last time I checked your the GM.

Any decision that got called out on he was very defensive Nikitan, Draistail, coaches was everybodies problem (Tambellini, procurement, players, ect …) but MacT’s. There was no accountability from MacT at all, that is not the sign of a good leader. The difference in the words of Hall, Perron, Ference, Eakins, ect … they all consdier themselves accountable. MacT has said that he changed over 14 players since he took over the roster and yet this isn’t his problem ??? I have liked most of the things that MacT has done, but this presser was shocking for me. Maybe I’m reading too much into it. This organization is messed up from top to bottom. I hope Nicholson gives us all an early Christmas present by taking over hiring a guy like Shero to help make executive decsions until they can get the right people in place.

The worst run organization in major North American sports.

14. Clay says:

Ya, MacT seemed just woefully unprepared for today. Rambling answers, defended Eakins then said he needed to be better, said he wasn’t going to talk about specific players, then talked about several, etc, etc. The scouting bit – good gord. Like telling your daycare that they’re terrible right before you drop your kids off for the day.

All he needed to do today was come out, own everything, about 500 mea culpas, and he may have been able to diffuse the tension somewhat. As it is, I think he’s just poured gas on it.

Things can, and likely will, get worse from here.

15. pboy says:

Poor ownership and hubris are what’s wrong with this franchise. All stop.

16. Bobbin Roundlee says:

Post Morty:

What else is there to blame? One day soon there will be nobody new to blame.

17. cahill says:

Woodguy: Jason Gregor asked about starting the season with 2 NHL C’s and framed it in a way that it was easy for MacT to say “My bad”

What irks me is if the GM doesn’t make himself accountable. How can you expect the players to be accountable?

Post Morty:

Apparently they are the “Tambo fires the training staff” of the MacT era.

There’s reason to fire them.

But I’d like to know what the GM did and the marching orders were when it comes to the Moroz and Musil picks.

I’d also like to know who drove the bus for the Bouchard pick when undersized CHL’ers with >1pt/gm were on the board like Spencer Watson and Vladimir Tkachev.

WG’s post about center is spot on.

I wanted to mention that (as mentioned before) the sins of the scouting staff are 2003-09 (imo). They didn’t have a 2nd rd pick in 2008, so Lander is the guy we should expect to be helping and he isn’t. The galling thing for me is that most people add names like Pitlick and Musil and the more recent names to the list.

They SHOULD be adding names like Alex Plante, Theo Peckham and Taylor Chorney to the list PLUS the stupid trades of people like Andrew Cogliano, Kyle Brodiziak and Jason Chimera. Role players will come from the 2010+ draft but you have to give them time.

I do not understand why this point isn’t getting through. Rieder was the exception to the rule, but the talent is coming. Marincin is coming, others are coming. The problems MacT addressed in amateur scouting belong to the 2003-09 drafts, not the recent ones.

BUT the picks made by this staff will probably be orphaned now, and play their careers elsewhere. And we’ll be talking on this blog in 2018 about the lack of patience in 2014.

Rinse. Repeat.

20. sliderule says:

You have to start at the top.

Having a head scout operate out of central BC rather than Edmonton is so oilers.

The oilers when they fired KP in the hallway on a road trip hadn’t thought it thru and elevated Stu as he was their western canadian scout and they didn’t have any other option at that point.

Instead of making it an interim appointment they made it permanent without interviewing other candidates or insisting he move back to Edmonton..Does that sound so oilers.

The head scout is a manager.He has at least 10 or so other scouts working under him and is main job is to evaluate the reports and video he gets from the field people.He would be responsible for hiring the best scouts and regularly reporting to the GM on players they were interested in.It is such an important job that most GMs would want a face to face report at least a couple of times a week or even daily.That just doesn’t work from central BC.

The oilers under Stu have not been able to draft enough usefull players after the first round.

Here is a short list of games played for other teams who drafted players after first round in the 2008 draft and later.

Isles……1274
    Kings……985
    Preds……874
    Ottawa …..814
    Hawks. …..777

Then you have the oilers at 23 with 230 games played.When you consider that a lot of these picks were near the top of each round the record is sad.

21. Post Morty says:

cahill: The worst run organization in major North American sports.

This is flat-out rubbish. There’s no reason to limit it to just North America!

22. TheOtherJohn says:

Woodguy wrote re MacT

He fucked up on Ference in term (I would add $$ and the NMC) he tried very hard to make a colossal mistake on Clarkson and was sad when he couldn’t, Nikitin (why wouldn’t we fire anyone recommending this signing…… forget forensic audit check your emails from pro scouts and Howson) , Petry’s one year contract, and other errors.
    On the other hand, the trade down the 2013 2nd and grabbing a ton of guys was perfect ( let’s wait and see how that works out first I actually liked Petan where we picked) I like the Perron deal (Barbashev is going to make that look like an average trade …… But we wouldn’t have drafted him at 33 we have another player with connections to the organization (Musil/Moroz)) I like Fayne (agreed, good player) like Hendricks way more than I thought I would, love Gordon, (Hendricks and Gordon are real good at what they do) love B. Pouliot (like not love & long term hi $$) , like Arco (good 5th C) and think Purcell isn’t bad value for Sam given the situation.
    I think he handled the Goalie situation ok too although the results are dismal. ( We went cheap I’m a position you MUST have a starter and have paid for it all season)
    I’m really torn.
    He small moves are right, but his big ones are biting him in the ass.
    Imagine if Clarkson was here at $6.0/yr for the next X years?
    Lordy.

Agree on most of what Darcy says but if MacT thinks Nikitan is a decent bet WOW just wow

23. pocession charge says:

Clay:
    Ya, MacT seemed just woefully unprepared for today.Rambling answers, defended Eakins then said he needed to be better, said he wasn’t going to talk about specific players, then talked about several, etc, etc.The scouting bit – good gord.Like telling your daycare that they’re terrible right before you drop your kids off for the day.

All he needed to do today was come out, own everything, about 500 mea culpas, and he may have been able to diffuse the tension somewhat.As it is, I think he’s just poured gas on it.

Things can, and likely will, get worse from here.

I’m not sure why he held that press conference at all. Seemed like a big waste of time. If there is nothing of significance to announce, why do it?

24. Bobbin Roundlee says:

@ Lowetide, what befuddles me is that of all the media people out there, you have the most level headed and even keeled view in my opinion.

Why on this good earth MacT doesn’t consent to an interview with you on air is beyond me.

I would expect nothing but tough questions from you but framed in a non-confrontational way. It’s too bad the Oil have to micro manage all of their media relations.

25. matt says:

Leon. Nurse. Oskar. The swirl over these names at the start of the season junked the season. You get what you pay for. There is no such thing as a free lunch. Experimenting with rookies at the start of the season in the hopes of avoiding paying a veteran to fill holes in the roster was hoping for a free lunch. There should have been an overpay during free agency. And, failing that, the night before the season started Helm and Brodizak were rumoured to be available. This is MacT’s fault.

26. pocession charge says:

Personally, I think that Todd Nelson is doing a good job down in OKC with what he’s been given. There is absolutely no (drafted) offensive talent down there and he has them playing great hockey.

The one item that I find a bit perplexing is management’s strategy of putting 18 year old forwards directly into the NHL. MacT did it this year again with Draisaitl and he doesn’t see a problem with that.

27. matt says:

Woodguy: he should have got the C he could on a very short term

THIS

28. striker says:

Miller (R. Hamilton, Williams)

29. book¡je says:

Woodguy:

I’m really torn.

I feel exactly the same way. MacT is 85% a great GM and 15% a terrible one (see Marincin blinders for details). With that said, its not enough to compete in the NHL.

30. book¡je says:

Woodguy:

Imagine if Clarkson was here at $6.0/yr for the next X years?

Lordy.

I bet the Oilers would be in last place in the NHL if that had happened!

book¡je: I bet the Oilers would be in last place in the NHL if that had happened!

Fantastic.

They won’t be there for too much longer.

Oh my.

Its like the Butterfly effect.

Bobbin Roundlee:

33. TheOtherJohn says:

Seriously how the F do you have a payroll of $65m and be DFL? Thankfully you’re not in a league with a salary cap

TheOtherJohn:
    Woodguy wrote re MacT

On the other hand, the trade down the 2013 2nd and grabbing a ton of guys was perfect ( let’s wait and see how that works out first I actually liked Petan where we picked) I like the Perron deal (Barbashev is going to make that look like an average trade …… But we wouldn’t have drafted him at 33 we have another player with connections to the organization (Musil/Moroz)) I like Fayne (agreed, good player)like Hendricks way more than I thought I would, love Gordon, (Hendricks and Gordon are real good at what they do) love B. Pouliot (like not love& long term hi $$) , like Arco (good 5th C) and think Purcell isn’t bad value for Sam given the situation.
    I’m really torn.
    He small moves are right, but his big ones are biting him in the ass.
    Imagine if Clarkson was here at $6.0/yr for the next X years?
    Lordy.

I think he was just covering his ass.

I expect more from him.

Exonerated himself from the OIler’s record at every opportunity.

Finding out you’re fallible is important in the growth of a manger.

I hope he grows from here.

I wish he was more humble.

Lowetide: When I got the daily show, I emailed the Oilers and requested an interview with Stu MacGregor. I was informed that the Oilers have a relationship with Gregor and Strudwick shows and were comfortable that would suffice.

You should try again.

You have a very good radio show now and influence.

Back when you asked, you didn’t.

TheOtherJohn:

Tambo capped out and finished 30th.

MacT is a piker by comparison.

37. jake70 says:

Was off today and took in your whole show over the interweb. Too bad Dennis King couldn’t have been on today. Or maybe it was just as well. 🙂 And boy Craig Button didn’t hold anything back on Gregor’s show.

38. book¡je says:

Just to clarify something from the past. A few months ago you said you were ‘accredited’ or ‘credentialed’ or something of the sort. Did the Oilers give you a press pass or show you the secret handshake (I presume it involves 6 rings somehow) or anything of the sort?

Or is your status the same as last year (i.e. you don’t exist to the Oilers).

39. book¡je says:

Woodguy: You should try again.

You have a very good radio show now and influence.

Back when you asked, you didn’t.

Also, it seems like Stu may have lots of free time in the future.

40. frjohnk says:

Can you imagine where this team would be with a shitty coach.

jake70:
    Was off today and took in your whole show over the interweb.Too bad Dennis King couldn’t have been on today.Or maybe it was just as well. :) And boy Craig Button didn’t hold anything back on Gregor’s show.

It is the nature of my relationship with Dennis King that he ALSO mentioned it was a shame he wasn’t on the show today. 🙂

42. Post Morty says:

Woodguy: They would be for longer with Clarkson….UNLESS the available $$ kept them from signing Nikitin!!!

Nik-ception!

Post Morty: Nik-ception!

There’s levels Jerry.

Levels.

Woodguy: There’s levels Jerry.

Levels.

“I’ll give you a year”

Love it.

book¡je: Just to clarify something from the past.A few months ago you said you were ‘accredited’ or ‘credentialed’ or something of the sort.Did the Oilers give you a press pass or show you the secret handshake (I presume it involves 6 rings somehow) or anything of the sort?

Or is your status the same as last year (i.e. you don’t exist to the Oilers).

Woodguy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQyXeLSL0II

“I’ll give you a year”

Love it.

“Oh no, Its not that I don’t think you can”

“I know that you can’t and I’m positive that you won’t”

Lowetide: I received accreditation from the Oilers, giving me a pass to Oilers and Oil Kings games.

He could have gone to the presser and asked a question today with his accreditation.

Location in Camrose makes that impossible though.

48. Pouzar says:

Woodguy: “Oh no, Its not that I don’t think you can”

“I know that you can’t and I’m positive that you won’t”

GOLD JERRY! GOLD!

49. Pouzar says:

Yak2/Winquist/Miller with a nice shift.

Marco Roy has 2 goals so far tonight. Now 21GP, 12-8-20.

51. Rondo says:

What about Nurse

52. Dark Asia says:

Not surprised that MacT shows little accountability or ownership of problems. He even conveniently “forgets” that he joined the club’s HOCKEY OPERATIONS MANAGEMENT TEAM as senior vice-president of hockey operations in June 2012 which is 2.5 years ago. But yeah it’s all Tambellini’s fault – everyone else in senior management is blameless. As always any credit is spread to the team but a scapegoat is always nearby to blame when necessary. After throwing the scouts under the bus as the latest example of this, does anyone wonder why no one with any credibility or options will work for this org?

Darnell Nurse with an assist, he’s 18GP, 6-12-18 for the season.

54. speeds says:

WG’s post about center is spot on.

Rinse. Repeat.

Yes, it is true that it’s early days on 2010-present relative to those other years. And I think the 2010 draft had a bunch of reasonable bets, not many of which have panned out. But, since then, the Musil, Perhonen?, Ewanyk, Moroz, McCarron, Muir, Campbell, Bouchard, Coughlin picks have happened in the last 4 drafts – most/all of which were panned on the day they were made, and I’m not sure one could argue that any of them look to be tracking particularly well at this point. Yes, it’s early, and no, I don’t think anyone is expecting EDM to pull 5 players out of those 9 picks, but does that mean EDM is drafting very well and just not getting the breaks? Personally, I don’t think so.

55. striker says:

Miller (Hunt, Williams)

OKC 2 – Grand Rapids 0

56. Rondo says:

Excited to see him play in the world Jr.

57. cabbiesmacker says:

frjohnk:
    Can you imagine where this team would be with a shitty coach.

Can you imagine where they’d be if the best coach in the system and the one they should have hired to run the show in the bigs wasn’t getting the most out of the flotsam they send him?

I do feel better after today’s presser though. I was thinking there was something dreadfully wrong with this team. Now that I know everything’s hunky dory I can relax again. Chin up lads. Steady on.

Oakland Raiders or Edmonton Oilers?….. “Which pro sports team in North America has the shittiest management team Alex?”

58. book¡je says:

Excellent! Well deserved (sorry you missed the donuts by just a year). Honestly, I would not be nearly as interested in or knowledgable about the Oilers without you!

Dark Asia:
    Not surprised that MacT shows little accountability or ownership of problems. He even conveniently“forgets” that he joinedthe club’s HOCKEY OPERATIONS MANAGEMENT TEAM as senior vice-president of hockey operations in June 2012 which is 2.5 years ago. But yeah it’s all Tambellini’s fault – everyone else in senior management is blameless. As always any credit is spread to the team but a scapegoat is always nearby to blame when necessary. After throwing the scouts under the bus as the latest example of this, does anyone wonder why no one with any credibility or options will work for this org?

Exactly.

Accountability starts at the top.

speeds: I take your point, I think there is a lot to that. At the same time, I think you may have decided awhile ago that you really like MacTavish and MacGregor, and you tend to look at things through that lens.

Yes, it is true that it’s early days on 2010-present relative to those other years.And I think the 2010 draft had a bunch of reasonable bets, not many of which have panned out.But, since then, the Musil, Perhonen?, Ewanyk, Moroz, McCarron, Muir, Campbell, Bouchard, Coughlin picks have happened in the last 4 drafts – most/all of which were panned on the day they were made, and I’m not sure one could argue that any of them look to be tracking particularly well at this point.Yes, it’s early, and no, I don’t think anyone is expecting EDM to pull 5 players out of those 9 picks, but does that mean EDM is drafting very well and just not getting the breaks?Personally, I don’t think so.

Good points.

Certainly fair, I would absolutely come down on the side of both if it’s close (and that is bias). I would tell you that I wondered about the Moroz and Ewanyk selections at the time. Musil was ‘in the range’ and for me that’s an indication of value, although there were certainly skating issues.

I don’t recall defending Coughlin, Perhonen, Bouchard, McCarron, Muir, Campbell picks at any time, so you’ll have to refresh my memory on those.

62. AZOIL says:

Woodguy:
    I was too busy to comment on the MacT avail, but one thing stuck out.

On the other hand, the trade down the 2013 2nd and grabbing a ton of guys was perfect.I like the Perron deal, I like Fayne, like Hendricks way more than I thought I would, love Gordon, love B. Pouliot, like Arco and think Purcell isn’t bad value for Sam given the situation.

I think he handled the Goalie situation ok too although the results are dismal.

I’m really torn.

He small moves are right, but his big ones are biting him in the ass.

Imagine if Clarkson was here at $6.0/yr for the next X years?

Lordy.

I think he tried for a c and nobody would come unless he severely overpaid and then handcuffed himself for the future. I suppose a 1 yr overpay would have worked but everyone he was wanting wanted 2 years plus it seems. He should have traded for one though.

63. Post Morty says:

Woodguy: Exactly.
    Accountability starts at the top.

I’m reminded of Eakins’ comment just after he was hired:

Coaching in Toronto, you always heard about the Oiler organization and that they were thick as thieves,a very tight ,family, group. And after sitting down with Craig, Kevin and Scott Howson, I learned that very quickly that it was true.

I’m now reminded of a quote from The Sopranos (‘family’, ‘thieves’):

“You know how this business works. Money flows uphill – shit flows downhill.”

So what starts at the top again? Oh, yeah…

64. Hammers says:

I must admit I expected more dumping on Tambellini . Scouts are typically asked for input but as McGregor has already stated McT wants guys who can play the game ,with skill . Does anyone remember what Tambo wanted into his 2nd.3rd round picks . Seems it was size for the 3rd, 4th lines .For me that’s part of the reason very few of Tambos choices made it along with the handling of Lander , Magnus etc . I look at who was drafted and how there being handled under McT’s watch and that’s what I thought McT would say

65. Pouzar says:

Lander with the empty netter.

OKC ranks very high on the “give a f^ck” meter.

66. "Frank The Dog" says:

But not the pressers like today’s?

67. Post Morty says:

Pouzar: OKC ranks very high on the “give a f^ck” meter.

Oklahoma City Barons GP:20 12-4-2-2 GF:72 GA:61

Not exactly blocking out the sun defensively, but a decent record and they’re scoring to support their defense.

I hope Nelson gets his chance in the NHL.

Edit: Looking through the rest of the league, the Barons have the fewest losses (looses?), and have games in hand on most of the top teams. They’re also 7-1-0-2 in their last 10.

link

“Frank The Dog”: But not the pressers like today’s?

69. "Frank The Dog" says:

Lowetide: I was in Camrose, although it’s worth noting that those kinds of press conferences are (imo) best handled by the pro’s. That’s not an area I have any experience in.

fair ’nuff!

70. Post Morty says:

Lowetide: I was in Camrose

Post Morty: They obviously waited until they knew you couldn’t attend, before calling the presser.

Bastages!

3-1-4 for Roy, strongest offensive output of the season. 21GP, 13-9-22 now.

73. bsmart says:

Anyone have nhle for mcdavid and eichel????

74. Post Morty says:

I never want to see an NHL player injured – unless it’s Perry!

75. VanOil says:

bsmart:
    Anyone have nhle for mcdavid and eichel????

NHLE needs an Oilers rushing players to the NHL Exemption.

76. Zangetsu says:

I’m not too worried, draft McJesus, and a few guys under a ppg in the BCHL.

bsmart:
    Anyone have nhle for mcdavid and eichel????

78. smellyglove says:

I’d pay money to see a Mr. Mitchell and Mr. MacT recorded fireside chat. It’d probably do a lot more to assuage fans than anything like today. Or any of the Oilers’ “PR” or “fan relations”.

I don’t know how management copes with walking through town. They must be public enemy #1.

79. TheOtherJohn says:

Hockey Ops must be shitting themselves.

If 2000 fans stay away from games regularly the Oilers are going to need Katz to subsidize the NHL payroll. Till now the ticket buying fan is covering all of the team payroll. Even Katz will ask serious Q why his payroll is $65m for DFL. Like WTF?

But we need to remember that we have a highly skilled group of young high scoring superstars that are so very close to dominating the NHL. Except we are not that young. We are not that high scoring. and we are nowhere near dominating strong WC teams

80. book¡je says:

Lowetide: Bastages!

Farging Iceholes.

81. GCW_69 says:

I like how MacT seemingly forgets he was as part of the management team for a year before moving into the GM role. What did he do that year, shine Lowe’s shoes?

82. theres oil in virginia says:

Dark Asia: does anyone wonder why no one with any credibility or options will work for this org?

Dallas Eakins had plenty of credibility and option when he chose to work for the Oilers. Craig Ramsay as well. Keith Acton too.

Dark Asia: Not surprised that MacT shows little accountability or ownership of problems. He even conveniently “forgets” that he joined the club’s HOCKEY OPERATIONS MANAGEMENT TEAM as senior vice-president of hockey operations in June 2012 which is 2.5 years ago.

The day that MacT took the GM job, they were accusing him of “failing the organization” in the presser. He defended himself then, and he’s simply continuing to do so now. It’s no surprise that he won’t take any “accountability”, in a toxic environment such as this. Some asshole is ready to jump your shit and run you out of the organization at the first sign of trouble. In an environment like that, everybody polarizes and digs in to their entrenched positions. That’s why I despise that bullshit so much. No middle ground, no conversation, just accusations and bitching and defending oneself at all costs.

How much influence/control did MacT have before he became GM? Do you know? Do you think he could overrule the GM? If so, then why didn’t he stay in that position and insulate himself against the frantic stupidity?

Obviously the guy’s not perfect, but to read it hear, you’d think he was a complete asshat running the organization into the ground. I guess he should have fallen to his knees and begged the City of Edmonton’s forgiveness.

83. rickithebear says:

Blaming Scouting is fucking Stupid.

the fact =t you morons are to fucking stupid to type in

Nhl draft chart

the first fucking thing that comes up is.

this is the fucking Bible!

Scott Cullen 28% is Bull shit!

we almost won a cup with Klowe/ MacT
    Klowe/ pencegast
    1. Pendegast generated 4 200 game nhl players from 2000 – 2007
    cumulative says 3 but 2003 was 90 success so should get 4.
    if nash hits 200 that is 5
    Above average.

2. pendegast was above average for rounds 2-7

Tambo/SMB 2008-2011
    these 27 picks should have got 3 players
    Lander
    pitlick
    marincin
    Hamilton
    martindale-> pinizotto
    davidson
    Reider
    still have a chance

MacT/ SMB 2012 – 2014
    from our 20 2nd or lower picks.
    we should get 2 players
    Nagelvoort
    Vesel

84. Post Morty says:

rickithebear,

Rock on, RTB!

85. theres oil in virginia says:

Where’s the “accountability”in the organization? Right where it fucking belongs:

“The accountability of the players to execute has to improve,” MacTavish said. “There isn’t any tangible evidence of any of that improvement, and that’s what’s so difficult for everybody to swallow.”

Why are the Oilers in DFL? Because they can’t execute on the ice.

Why are the Oilers sticking with things and not undergoing a major shakeup?

“As painful as this process is, we feel that it’s a necessary step to get us to the next level,” he said.

Because you can’t win at a high level playing hockey the way these guys have been doing it in the past. Are they buying in? Of course they are. They just still suck at it. That’s why they keep making stupid mistakes and many of them are tracking for career lows in points. Because they can’t consistently execute within the system, but they are trying.

86. Post Morty says:

book¡je: Farging Iceholes.

The Edmonton Iceholes… I like that. If only they would play like iceholes!

87. TheOtherJohn says:

Ricki

I don’t want you to take this wrong.

I can see where you can see the light at end of the tunnel

It’s just looking at all of the “successes ” that you refer to NONE of them is an NHL regular. Unless you include Rieder but I’m not sure that’ a positive for the organization

In fairness to Stu, Lander and Marincin should be in the NHL. Lander, if you don’t put him with boat anchors, can handle a 4th line role. The Oilers would have been better with Draisaitl in junior, Gordon play on the top three lines, and Lander as the 4th line centre.

Musil is still tracking pretty normally for a defensemen where he is picked. D take longer than the forwards.

Joe Morrow #23 14 NHL games
    Stuart Percy #25 8 NHL games
    David Musil #31 0 NHL games
    Scott Mayfield #34 5 NHL games
    Adam Glendenning #36 4 NHL games
    Joel Edmundson #46 0 NHL games
    Xavioer Ouellet #48 9 NHL games
    Scott Harrington #54 0 NHL games

Musil is close to having a look see, like the others, but he is blocked somewhat by the Oilers pipeline of young D.

Marincin, Schultz, Klefbom, and Nurse

He is a pretty binary prospect. It all depends if his mobility is good enough. If it is, one has a cheap affordable defensive D for the third pairing for a decade.

89. cadooo says:

The Edmonton Oilers are a lot like the Comedy Network. They’ll get you what you want 6 months after you want it.

Tonight the Comedy Network are airing a new show Nerd Melt it’s an awesome stand up show in LA. It aired on Comedy Central in July which is about when the Oilers season ended.

They also don’t develop their talent very well. It’s airing between Jimmy Kimmel and Frasier which will surely bring in a huge 18-25 demographic.

And in closing What MacT looks like in the press box most days.

90. ConAirMcDavid says:

Realistically, what’s one good reason to cheer for this team and follow them? Management sees no reason to change, it hurts my soul to see Dallas’ crushed spirit every night, Ference has the heart, but not the legs to fill the role he’s been given, and the kids, Taylor, Ryan, Justin and Jordan, they haven’t shown the passion or the determination that makes me feel like continuing to support him.

For me, I still follow this team for Ben Scrivens, Matt Hendricks, and Boyd Gordon. This is the core MacTavish should be building around. These guys have character and heart. The other one who I root for is Nurse, he seems to have so much passion for the game, I really hope he turns out.

91. Really? says:

I am truly amazed at the number of posters who have repeatedly stated that MacT did not take accountability for the state of the club.

If you read Gregor’s article “MacT Speaks” under the heading ‘Who is to blame for this?’ you will see a quote “I am accountable for it all”. Folks that is a pretty clear statement.

How much more of a mea culpa do you expect?

Along with that statement I am heartened by:
    “We’re not in a position today to be spending future assets to try and prop this group up”
    “We’re going to continue to draft and keep our draft choices”

This tells me we still have a chance to successfully complete the re-build.

92. VanOil says:

theres oil in virginia: How much influence/control did MacT have before he became GM?

Insinuating he was not hired as a GM in waiting is a smarmy legalize argument. The proof being his quick accession to the GM job. His official role as an apparently non influential VP with long personal ties to the owner and the President was something to do with scouting. The very department he through under the bus today.

Rather than debating if he has been in charge 1.5 seasons or 2.5 season I suggest we talk about how long he should be in charge for. We know a bad GM can wreck an organization in under 5 years. So I would put the outer marker on a GM fixing things or being fired at 3 years. In MacT’s specific case I suggest if the following make or break moment; if MacT has not fixed the NHL Center depth (18 year olds don’t count) by the day after free agency starts and/or have Schultz as his top minutes defender he should be dismissed immediately.

93. "Steve Smith" says:

book¡je: Honestly, I would not be nearly as interested in or knowledgable about the Oilers without you!

I’m with Bookie: Fuck you.

94. "Steve Smith" says:

VanOil:legalize argument.

Personally, I feel that argument should remain a criminal offence.

“Steve Smith”: Personally, I feel that argument should remain a criminal offence.

Fucking lawyers.

96. GCW_69 says:

That was not the press conference of a leader. He did not deliver messages that anyone could rally around. Not the players. Not the coaches. Not the staff. Not the fans.

He didn’t own is mistakes. You can turn over as many players as he did and not take at least some responsibility for the current state of the franchise. He didn’t articulate what the organization was going to do differently in the future. He didn’t define a timeline for improvement to measure his success by.

What a leader might have said could have been:

When I took this job, I asked you all to measure me on our results, not on my words. To date, I cannot sit here and expect you to give me and my management team a passing grade. The results are not there, plain and simple.

I am not here to make excuses. I am not here to look for scapegoats. I am here to tell you three things:

1) My vision for the team

2) How we will get there from here

3) When we will get there.

Vision:
    The NHL is evolving, and it has changed a lot since I was behind the bench. I have learned now that the type of team we need to build to be successful needs to include [list of what he thinks it takes to win, such as]
    a) Strength down the middle complemented with wingers that can finish
    b) A mobile defence capable of strong two way play
    c) A strong system of team defence

This is my vision for the team. This is what all members of the organization will be working towards.

How:
    In the management office, we will be re-evaluating our decision making processes and criteria. We have made some very strong moves, such as acquiring Gordon, Fayne and Pouliot. But we have had our share of misses as well and that can’t be acceptable. So, we will be evaluating the process by which we made those decisions and challenging ourselves to change those criteria so we have more hits and less misses. This will focus on how we procure players at the professional level, but will not exclude the amateur side and development aspects of the business as well.

I will also be assessing every opportunity to improve this team via trade. Let’s be frank. No other NHL franchise is looking to help us out. So, it will not be easy to make trades. But the needs of the other 29 NHL franchises change all the time and I will be in regular contact with all my counterparts to see if there are trades out there that will help improve the team.

When it comes to our current players and coaches, we will change our expectations. Our coaches will be expected to ice the team that best gives the franchise a chance to win each and every night. This will be done regardless of tenure or contract status,. My expectations will be for Dallas to use his allocation of ice time to hold players accountable. This will apply to all players on the team. If that means a veteran or a star player needs to sit to learn to play the game the right way, Dallas will have my full support in making it happen [This acknowledges what the whole world has seen, but says it stops now. It provides a platform for changing the culture in the room. It gives Eakins permission to hold players equally accountable, regardless of whatever MacT has asked Dallas or Dallas has done in the past. It also provides the standard by which to measure Eakins going forward in case MacT needs to let Eakins go].

When:
    We expect to have this vision fully implemented, which includes a return to the playoffs, by [year]. That is my commitment to our owner, our team and our fans. The first steps start with our next game.

Something like that would have been interesting.

97. oilswell says:

Am I the only one that thinks the team is actually in many ways better this year, and yet the results even worse and more frustrating? I believe in the influence of coach and GM. I do, really. But they’re to blame for this team’s 11 game losing streak? How firmly can that belief be held? At some point you have to look at their record and team versus Calgary’s (spit) record and team and ask whether coaching is more important than roster. At the NHL level: is coaching a bigger factor in team performance than roster? IMO it’s either luck or players, the alternatives are madness and coach salaries higher than players.

On amateur scouting, the management are buffoons, but the organization had to know it was going to pay a huge price walking in the desert to get the top draft picks. The Kyle Brodziaks are annoying but they dragged the franchise through 3 #1 picks (don’t skip over that, read it several times and ask yourself what winning teams need to succeed) and associated higher later-round picks. This blog always has been strong in saying that it is the aces and kings that are the difference makers, and economically the true way is to build through the draft. I don’t see how amateur drafting is above concern.

This said, the pro scouting can go to hell. The demonstrated yearly stupidity shows the brain trust is bankrupt, and every once and a while gets lucky when it actually listens to the guy in the room that is smarter than he tells the world he is. Someone pushed for these terrible players and those someones need to find new employment at Arby’s. Today.

98. TemujinBC says:

GCW_69,

Holy shit, that would have been a noteworthy press conference….

99. book¡je says:

"Steve Smith": I’m with Bookie: Fuck you.

I almost added that, but thought it took away from the sentiment.

100. GCW_69 says:

TemujinBC:
    GCW_69,

Holy shit, that would have been a noteworthy press conference….

I just got back from a conference where I got to listen to my company’s CEO and key deputies speak. The way they articulated where we are vs our objectives, the challenges ahead, and how and when we expect to get there vs. Mact”s approach was startling in contrast.

101. TemujinBC says:

GCW_69,

I’ve got a strange desire to start selling whatever your company is offering !

102. VanOil says:

GCW_69,

Well done, well said. Imagine how well you could of done if you had weeks to prepare and had internal/external PR experts to advise you.

103. Gret99zky says:

GCW_69,

After that “availability” I’m going to wrap your legs around my head and wear you like the crown that you are.

*slow clap*

104. Minister D- says:

I agree with previous posts suggesting that nothing MacT said today would satisfy anyone. The press conference was entirely pointless, to satisfy some bizarre craving in the fanbase and the MSM. Now, I’m not an anti-Eakins guy, or an anti-MacT guy, or hell, even an anti-Lowe guy, but one of the worst mistakes this organization made was bringing in a rookie coach and a rookie GM when this thing was supposed to start turning north and expect everything to fall into place. It’s sometimes been said that Eakins doesn’t put his players in positions to succeed (not by me, and I don’t necessarily agree with it), but I’d say that this equally applies to Eakins and MacT themselves: there’s no way in hell they would’ve succeeded with this team, in this market, with a fanbase already baying for blood. The fact that Lowe and the rest of the upper management couldn’t see this demonstrates very precisely the rank arrogance and myopia that has contributed to the Oilers becoming a league-wide joke. I can’t really fault either Eakins or MacT for the jobs they’ve done; it’s an impossible situation.

105. VanOil says:

I can’t bring myself to hope/expect McDavid or Eichel who are no brainier picks. But even with some PDO regression (hot goal tending) a top 5 pick seems a lock. Early this year I chose Pavel Zacha as my preferred top 10 pick. Now I am aiming higher(lower?).

I don’t know who I would prefer the Oilers to pick out of Hanifin or D.Strome

I know I would like both of them to be given a year or two over ripening before entering the NHL but both look like locks to be good to great NHLers.

106. Gret99zky says:

When are we expected to claim Chipchura off waivers??? #nobrainer

Gret99zky:
    When are we expected to claim Chipchura off waivers??? #nobrainer

Waivers announced tomorrow morning at 10, a couple of different names. Oilers would do well to grab Chipchura for sure.

108. TemujinBC says:

Not sure a Coyotes castoff is the answer. Poor Leon, if he finally loses his roster spot to Chipchura. #upgrades 😮

109. Post Morty says:

TemujinBC:
    Not sure a Coyotes castoff is the answer.Poor Leon, if he finally loses his roster spot to Chipchura.#upgrades

It’s common for young centers to play wing with a veteran, and learn the position that way. That would mean that they could flush Gadzooks, or another bottom winger (because Iceholes).

110. Post Morty says:

LeBrun: The Oilers screwed up by not getting a #1 goalie in the offseason. Look at the Islanders, they got Halak, and now they’re a good team. The Oilers need to get a #1 like Halak.

Question Pierre: Was that the only move that the Islanders made in the offseason? Did they not add a defender or two? And are they not an overall better, and more mature team than the Oilers are right now?

Do you really think Halak could play behind Jultz/Ference/Nikitin and a lackadaisical forward group, and post similar numbers? Hmmm.

111. spoiler says:

Post Morty:

Boychuk had zero effect. But hey, it’s the MSM.

112. spoiler says:

I only buy Chipchura if I am hurting for Pouliot and Hendricks filler. Which may be an issue.

113. spoiler says:

GCW_69:
    That was not the press conference of a leader.He did not deliver messages that anyone could rally around.Not the players. Not the coaches. Not the staff.Not the fans.

He didn’t own is mistakes.You can turn over as many players as he did and not take at least some responsibility for the current state of the franchise. He didn’t articulate what the organization was going to do differently in the future.He didn’t define a timeline for improvement to measure his success by.

What a leader might have said could have been:

When I took this job, I asked you all to measure me on our results, not on my words.To date, I cannot sit here and expect you to give me and my management team a passing grade.The results are not there, plain and simple.

I am not here to make excuses.I am not here to look for scapegoats.I am here to tell you three things:

1) My vision for the team

2) How we will get there from here

3) When we will get there.

Vision:
    The NHL is evolving, and it has changed a lot since I was behind the bench.I have learned now that the type of team we need to build to be successful needs to include [list of what he thinks it takes to win, such as]
    a)Strength down the middle complemented with wingers that can finish
    b) A mobile defence capable of strong two way play
    c) A strong system of team defence

This is my vision for the team.This is what all members of the organization will be working towards.

How:
    In the management office, we will be re-evaluating our decision making processes and criteria.We have made some very strong moves, such as acquiring Gordon, Fayne and Pouliot.But we have had our share of misses as well and that can’t be acceptable.So, we will be evaluating the process by which we made those decisions and challenging ourselves to change those criteria so we have more hits and less misses. This will focus on how we procure players at the professional level, but will not exclude the amateur side and development aspects of the business as well.

I will also be assessing every opportunity to improve this team via trade.Let’s be frank.No other NHL franchise is looking to help us out.So, it will not be easy to make trades.But the needs of the other 29 NHL franchises changeall the time and I will be in regular contact with all my counterparts to see if there are trades out there that will help improve the team.

When it comes to our current players and coaches, we will change our expectations.Our coaches will be expected to ice the team that best gives the franchise a chance to win each and every night.This will be done regardless of tenure or contract status,.My expectations will be for Dallas to use his allocation of ice time to hold players accountable.This will apply to all players on the team. If that means a veteran or a star player needs to sit to learn to play the game the right way, Dallas will have my full support in making it happen [This acknowledges what the whole world has seen, but says it stops now.It provides a platform for changing the culture in the room. It gives Eakins permission to hold players equally accountable, regardless of whatever MacT has asked Dallas or Dallas has done in the past. It also provides the standard by which to measure Eakins going forward in case MacT needs to let Eakins go].

When:
    We expect to have this vision fully implemented, which includes a return to the playoffs, by [year].That is my commitment to our owner, our team and our fans.The first steps start with our next game.

Something like that would have been interesting.

You can’t be serious. And what would the rest of the league do then, or the MSM? What you are suggesting is suicide. Are you Zona, or just read him?

114. hunter1909 says:

115. spoiler says:

hunter1909: Next time, we’ll all chip in and the night before the presser you can go to a strip club. You’ll wake up the next morning with a raging hangover and go straight to the presser where you will fit right in.

There are times when a person shouldn’t advise from experience. Sorry, Mr. Ford.

116. hunter1909 says:

I think I’d like Lowe to step down. All that he needs is to be able to leave with a little dignity, since after all he’s a member of the dynasty and I’m cool with that kind of stuff.

Then I’d consider promoting MacT to president of the team. This is due to the fact that he will do a better job than his predecessor. I seriously doubt if his health is up to the strain of this season. I’m having trouble coming up with anyone who could function as GM under the current situation, and don’t honestly know who’s out there to replace him but they say that guy in Detroit is available.

Then, assuming I’m representing ownership, I’d sit Dallas Eakins down and offer to buy out his contract, thus freeing him to move on and saving the club at least part of that contract.

And since the team needs a frigging coach who can work with kids, I’d place a person to person call to Red Deer.

Then I’d ask Andrew Ference to come into my office and apologize to him on behalf of the Oilers for ever making him captain. I’d hope he agrees with me, and isn’t too unhappy to relinquish the “C” which clearly isn’t working.

Then I’d remodel the dressing room, like the Canadiens room in the old Montreal Forum with pics of the dynasty. Calling the players together I’d then pass a paper ballot containing 4 names: Not too sure of the others but 1 of them would be Taylor Hall. The players would make their choice in secret, and place their ballot into a hat I’d have passed around the room. The player with the most votes would be the new captain.

Bingo.

117. spoiler says:

hunter1909:

Then I’d remodel the dressing room, like the Canadiens room in the old Montreal Forum with pics of the dynasty. Calling the players together I’d then pass a paper ballot containing 4 names: Not too sure of the others but 1 of them would be Taylor Hall. They players would make their choice in secret, and place their ballot into a hat I’d have passed around the room. The player with the most votes would be the new captain.

Bingo.

And what if the ballots come back with just Boom Boom and Beliveau’s name on them? And what if after the second ballot Boom Boom’s name falls second? Will you be there on the bench consoling his sobs as the Nuge takes the reins?

118. hunter1909 says:

spoiler,

hahaha

I’m one of those old timey types who actually believes in democracy. No matter who gets hurt.

119. dangilitis says:

rickithebear: ricki

I don’t mind your suggestion that 200 games may be a better benchmark (100 gamers don’t necessarily instill confidence, as I have seen a lot of shitty players get there, especially in this organization).

What I don’t understand is why you have lumped rounds 2-7 all together and come up with 10% as a reasonable percentage for the Oilers to be hitting with draft picks (I assume based on your 3/27 assertion)

“For the 1st overall draft pick there is a very high fitted probability, approximately 98%, of playing more than 200 games. That probability decreases in an steeply linear manner until approximately the 45th pick and then drops approximately in a linear though less steep fashion through the 210th pick which only has an 8% change of playing 200 NHL games.”

Looking at that graph, it is clear that using the table “Summary of Probability of Playing More Than 200 NHL Games by Position” by round, for instance, misses the mark when evaluating Oilers staff.

Taking 2008-2011 as an example.
    2008-2011:
    Round 1 – 2/5 have, 5/5 will likely hit 200 games, or 1.00, being generous to Klefbom

(probabilities based on estimates from the probability graph: ~0.4, 0.7, 0.98, 0.98, 0.5 averages to 0.71 or 3.56/5)

VERDICT: Actual success (Eberle covered his bet and then some)

Round 2 – 0/5 have made it. Marincin very likely will for 1/5, I think it is unwise to assume Lander or Pitlick will, and the others are even less likely.

(Probabilities based on estimates from the probability graph: ~0.33, 0.4, 0.4, 0.25, 0.25 averages to 0.242 or 1.63/5)

VERDICT: Underwhelming (unless Marincin and one of the Lander or Pitlick works out)
    Round 3 – 0/5 will make it.

(Probabilities based on estimates from the probability graph: ~0.25, 0.23, 0.25, 0.25, 0.23 averages to 0.33 or 1.21/5)

VERDICT: Quite Underwhelming (high 3rd rd picks very decent value)

Round 4 – 1/6 will make it? (between Reider and Simpson, I’d suggest ½ make it)

(Probabilities based on estimates from the probability graph: ~0.15, 0.15, 0.15, 0.2, 0.2, 0.13 averages to 0.16 or 0.98/6)

VERDICT: OK (Early 90s seems to be better than later 4th round, where Reider was surprisingly taken)

Rounds 5-7 – 0/11 have made it. Long way to go for Gernat, goalies, Davidson, and Hartikainen. 1/11 would be very generous at this point.

Probabilities based on estimates from the probability graph: ~0.12, 0.12, 0.07, 0.12, 0.12, 0.12, 0.1, 0.07, 0.05, 0.12 averages to 0.09 or 1.01/11)

VERDICT: No surprises here, Gernat was trending well initially but no signs of anything special

OVERALL EXPECTED 200 GP BETWEEN 2008-2011 FOR OILERS DRAFT PICKS IF MEDIOCRE (AVERAGE) SCOUTING: 8.39/32, with 4.83/27 from rounds 2-7

OILERS PICKS – 7/32 likely to hit 200 games (Hall, Eberle, RNH, Klefbom, Paajarvi, Marincin, Reider).
    Maybe being too generous here about Reider, but 2/27 from rounds 2-7 are trending well towards this goal, and 1 is gone with nothing in return (and don’t care how)

Best remaining chances in this group are Gernat, Simpson, Musil, Lander, Pitlick. Lander is already at 79 but should realistically be at 20 NHL games based on performance. I don’t think any of these are safe bets to hit 200 games, and 2 of them would need to do this for the record to be considered mediocre (I round up), and 3 of them would need to make it for rounds 2-7 to be considered mediocre.

So if this article is the bible, then McG needs to go to Church more often (and thank his lucky stars for Jordan Eberle)

120. hunter1909 says:

MacT’s problem is, he hasn’t bought a single game for Eakins with that presser. I personally love the way he’s standing by the current lineup, because now is no time to be talking to those clever GM’s on the long distance wire.

Eakins’ problem is, he’s still expected to return to the trenches. To say he’s lost the team is an understatement.

Using WW1 as an example, he’s the one facing the bullets, while the upper management sit back and enjoy champagne breakfasts in the chateau.

121. hunter1909 says:

dangilitis,

I never understand it when people count games played as an indicator of draft success, when clearly playing 200 games for the Oilers and 200 games for the Red Wings have almost no correlation other than said draft picks both technically play in the same league.

Where the Oilers are concerned, I get the feeling that advanced stats are simply being used to make excuses for terrible hockey.

122. kooler says:

Pick up both Brunner and Chipcura…We only have room for one correct? Brunner played C between Datzyuk and Zetterberg and was incredibly effective, unfortunately not the same in NJ. Chipcura can play LW. By the way figure out Wiiliams and have him bring up Yak and Draisatl, he’s the leadiing assist man in OKC and they could afford some mentoring on ice…..he sitting on the porch. Like Pitlick for some grit at this point.

Hall Nug Eberle
    Perron Brunner Purcell
    Draisatl Williams Yak
    Chipcura Gordon Pitlick

Like to see Draisatl and Pitlick move when Hendricks and Pouliot return. Am I off my rocker?

Hall Nug Eberle
    Pouliot Brunner Purcell
    Perron Williams Yak
    Chipcura Gordon Hendricks

123. spoiler says:

hunter1909:
    spoiler,

hahaha

I’m an onion belter like you. I believe in democracy too. Just wondering when it’s going to actually show up. And before people jump on me, I’m not saying it’s not better now than pre-vote. I’m just saying that most people don’t understand what we got now. It’s a reflection, not an archetype.

…I feel sad for the kids.

124. stevezie says:

theres oil in virginia: And this concludes today’s “Caramel moment”, brought to you by some guy in Virginia.

If he ever gets sick, you’ll sub in fine.

I don’t know what else he could have been expected to say today.

“Hello, I am an incompetent fool and I was wrong to believe in Nitkinin, Arcobello and Draisatl, those guys suck. My bad. Anyway, I am desperate to make a change. Desperate.
    In conclusion, I deserve to be fired.”

Regardless of what you believe to be true (he was insane not to overpay Legwand, or whoever you like), ask yourself what the active GM can reasonably be expected to say about himself or his players.

I don’t even agree he threw his scouts under the bus. Visible reality did that. You could say the same thing about his C depth, but again, what can he say there that doesn’t come off as a shot at Arcobello and, to a lesser extent, Zee German?

125. DBO says:

Ok. Fun times. The waiver wire has a few interesting options.

Chipchura makes so much sense I doubt we do it. Cause Oilers.
    Damien Brunner is another interesting one. He is a ufa next year. Is 29. Has some offensive chops and is not a waste of skin in his own zone. I expect a team like Calgary to claim him (makes sense). But claiming him allows us to deal a winger and not drop off much if any skill wise.

Hall. Nuge. Brunner
    Yak. Drai. Eberle
    Perron. Gordon. Purcell.
    Arco. Chipchura. Pitlick
    Pinzotto. gazdic

Allowing us to make another move or sit Arco when Pouliot comes back. And hendricks as well gives us the chance for 4 actual lines, maybe then you move Yak to Gordon’s line and Gordon plays the Horcoff role.

126. SwedishPoster says:

I didn’t really interpret MacTs comments as meaning they were about to blow the whole scouting departement up, just that they were going to change how they go about things in regards to scouting. The adding of analytics, more regional focus and so on. Sure might mean someone gets canned but I don’t think we’ll see an exodus.

I don’t know what to make of his comment about ‘regional focus’. Does it mean more focus on the nearby talent and less in the rest of the hockey world, which I think would be a mistake, or does it mean more regional scouts around the globe,which I like, or is it something else?
    I do believe in turning every stone to find talent, I don’t like when teams try and build an “identity” by being biased towards players from certain nations or areas. Usually means plugs over talent.

I think NHL teams should be better at finding coaching talent outside NA as well. The only guys getting coaching/management gigs out of Europe seems to be a few former players who has a lot of buddies in the league.
    The only swedish NHL coaches recently are Ulf Samuelsson and Calle Johansson. The former was one of the worst coaches in Sweden the last few years and the latter was a decent media expert who had zero coaching experience outside a short stint as an ass.coach in Frölunda before so it’s pretty clear they only got hired on connections.
    I think one thing that’s holding the league back is that it doesn’t hire the best coaches and managers in the world. I think the first org that truly looks for the best of the best in coaching, in europe, in college hockey etc, instead of hiring based on friendship, connections and player career will get a huge advantage. Kind of like when Detroit started scouting the euro leagues more closely and picked up Lidström et al.

127. knighttown says:

GCWs press conference:

You’ve got to be careful not to confuse real world business Boardrooms with a press conference from the oilers to their fans.

Why on earth would MacTavish say any of that to the teams fans? And the better question is why you you are entitled to hear his full strat and operations plan?

-private businesses (not publicly traded) don’t lay out their plans to the general public because it’s counter productive.
    -people were saying he should have been more accountable for his mistakes to show the players how it’s done. Fuck that’s stupid. Nikitin and Schultz and Arco and Draistatl still play here for gods sakes. Stop for 30 seconds and ask yourself if saying “we were wrong wbout Nikitin…he can’t move at NHL speed anymore” is the least bit sensical or possible.

Yes, I would LOVE for him to say his true thoughts and feelings because as a fan that’s the ultimate dream. But my rational side understands He can’t do that.

gCW, you’ve got to know that the GM is making exactly those presentations to ownership, Nicholson and Lowe which is precisely what he should be doing.

Press conferences to the public are 100%PR. Don’t ever forget that.

128. SwedishPoster says:

knighttown,

For a sports team it can also be a way to show your players even the higher ups are accountable. There’s value in him sweating in front of the press and take some heat. There’s value in a GM not hiding.
    As a PR stunt it was clumsy and pretty pointless. As a way to show the players some guts it held some value, shame his focus was on blaming others, if he hadn’t he probably could’ve gotten a better result.

And it’s not like GCWs suggestion says anything about the ACTUAL planning going forward.

129. lance says:

So I’m no republican, but I do recall something of Mitt Romney trying to buy the NHL during one of the many lockouts. Is he a fan? Did he ever play? I have no idea. Somehow I’m pretty sure that he could be a pretty decent POHO and maybe an abov average GM.

In fact I call bullshit on this whole ex-player bit. if this were my company I would probably hire a never-player/veteran manager over a never manager / ex player, and, further, I would probably expect that as the norm.

Do I need to be great at making cars to run Crysler? Hardly. I doubt hockey is any different at all.

130. lance says:

And one more thing – the drop of the ruble against foreign currencies doesn’t really affect spending power inside Russia, it only affects savings. A player’s flight risk to the KHL only is changed if they plan to spend the money elsewhere.

Also we met some guys from Barcelona. They say they can but four sodas there for the price of one in California. I winder how many I could buy in Sevastopol v Kiev.

And while Eureka’s downtown shops are all full, Victorville is almost completely boarded up. We just pulled into Winslow last night and it too looks terrible. The curious difference is that only one is in Humboldt county (where a variety called Barry White just tested over 30%). Also curious is that we caught a Wu Tang (w/ B Real) show at the Arcata community league and there wasn’t a single cop for miles. Redman and Methodman. World. Class. The oilers product is just nowhere near. To pay for it too? Not a single chance.

131. "Frank The Dog" says:

hunter1909:

Of the faults Eakins has, I don’t see him losing the support of the team as one of them. Even Yak likes him now, and outsiders have spoken well of him.
    While it’s sadly true that all he needs to improve is his offense, defense, special teams and consistency, and that Renney and Krueger both won a higher % of their games, by everything I see and hear by way of my computers and TV, the players like, respect and support Eakins.

Secondly, do you expect MacT to identify all the GM’s he’s talking to, all the deals he’s tried to make, all he players he’s offered up, and all the players who’ve invoked their NTC’s or NMC’s not to come here?

If I was an NHL player I would do everything possible to avoid this team right now. Outside of MacT admitting in public that every GM wants to profit from his position of weakness, wants only his best talent, and that no-one worth having is willing to sign here short term for reasonable money, I’m not sure what you expect him to say. He’s certainly made it quite clear that there are no deals out there that would strengthen the team right now.

Rhetoric is fun and I’ve produced more than my fair share of it in the past but these are people we are talking about, people with families in our community, and by all accounts both Eakins and MacT are stand-up people. MacT has gone out of his way to build a good reputation with his players with some notable exceptions but he is showing himself to be a skilled, capable and level headed manager. The Oilers are fortunate to have a man of his calibre in his position.

I remain concerned at Dallas’ inability to produce equal or better %wins than his predecessors but also acknowledge that his other stats do indicate that the team is building on a firmer foundation than previously. So if he can just get his sh% turned around and those stupid errors eliminated this period will represent the nadir and we can all start enjoying our hockey again.

132. Maverick says:

Looks like a long winter ahead. Yay!

Too bad I’ll miss the Saturday show today, based on Paul and Al’s conversation yesterday, today’s show is going to be interesting. Lowetide may have to bring some Valium in for Paul 😉

If the scouting staff is the issue and looks like that’s part of MacT’s rant, the first call I’m making is to Rick Pracey – the former head scout of the Avalanche, who was let go in the fall. Not to be head scout right away, just to add more depth and knowledge to the scouting department. Thoughts?

133. "Frank The Dog" says:

lance:

In fact I’d suggest that you have inadvertently nailed it. IF, and it’s a big “if”, Katz is directly influencing the day to day coaching and roster decisions, and the drafting decisions, then the Oilers have as little chance of succeeding under Katz as Chrysler had of succeeding under Cerberus.

134. SwedishPoster says:

lance:

Yep, it’s weird that the NHL keeps hiring ex-players as GMs. As a coach I think there’s some benefit from having played at a higher level, but certainly not a must as some of the best coaches had pretty mediocre player careers. And for a GM position I don’t see it at all, a scouting background is probably useful, some coaching probably helps but isn’t crucial imo, having been a succesful GM/ass GM for another team or at a lower level or even another business/sport should be the most important thing on your CV.

135. SwedishPoster says:

“Frank The Dog”: Lance I’m going to call you on that car statement. People who are clueless about cars are terrible at running car companies. I give Chrysler to you as an example. Their very worst days were between Mercedes and Fiat ownership when they were owned by Cerberus. I’ve seen other examples over the years along the same lines.

Knowledge of the business your involved with is obiously important but you can’t suggest that someone working the floor and with no experience running a business is your best bet at running a car company.

It needs to be someone who knows the business and I have no problem with a guy who’s worrked his/her way up and proving they can handle different positions. The right way to go is probably to never hire someone as GM who hasn’t at least been an assistant GM and been very good at it.

136. "Frank The Dog" says:

GCW_69: I just got back from a conference where I got to listen to my company’s CEO and key deputies speak.The way they articulated where we are vs our objectives, the challenges ahead, and how and when we expect to get there vs. Mact”s approach was startling in contrast.

Is your company public?

137. theres oil in virginia says:

Maverick: Crazy times in Oilerville. MacT really didn’t say anything I wasn’t expecting, however, for the first time MacT looked rattled, every presser from being a coach to now GM he looked calm, articulate, yesterday not so much.

Naw. Remember back to the presser after he fired Krueger. I had never seen him look that shaky.

138. Pouzar says:

Hey MacT….wipe the sleep outta yer eyes and put the claim in for KC already.
    I got shit to do today.

139. lance says:

i could find 1000 examples of outsiders coming into a corporation and turning it around. And if profit is the only measure then one need look no further than Gary F Bettman. Your example doesnt challenge my axiom that management has more to do with psychology and communication techniques than knowledge of the game or having ever been drafted.

Great People management is about as common as NHL acumen. I find it nearly impossible to believe that anyone could be gifted both.

140. theres oil in virginia says:

Pouzar:
    Hey MacT….wipe the sleep outta yer eyes and put the claim in for KC already.
    I got shit to do today.

Don’t claims get announced at noon eastern, or thereabouts?

141. Pouzar says:

theres oil in virginia: Don’t claims get announced at noon eastern, or thereabouts?

Not sure. Just knew it was the next day sometime. Just giving him a reminder 😛

142. dangilitis says:

hunter1909:
    dangilitis,

Well that’s just the thing. The article referenced seems sound on a lot of things and in it they acknowledge how the gp mark is not ideal but that it represents success at some level (2.5 seasons) and that points doesn’t account well for defensemen or role players. But I agree, my analysis of 2008-2011 showed oilers are unlikely to meet expectations based on draft position rather than round number, and that is if you think all else is equal like you already alluded to – eg playing 200 games for oilers may not be as impressive as playing 200 games for red wings, with lander being a perfect example and paajarvi too, for that matter. That being said , 200 games is just as arbitrary as 100 but intuitively it seems harder to get to 200 games with any team than 100. How many games did Peckham get to, for example? Bottom line is that Cullen’s claims may be accurate but they do not acknowledge the fact that in the 5 picks the oilers took in the 3rd round between 2008-2011, some of those were 61-63 and were essentially like late 2nd round picks in terms of probability of getting to the NHL. If you factor that in, marincin is the only player out of 8 or 9, I believe, taken in 2nd or early 3rd to have a good shot at an NHL career. That’s not nearly good enough.

143. lance says:

A buddy of mine hired me to vet his staff. I didn’t know anything about running a crane or loading a truck but within two weeks I knew who I’d fire. He followed my advice almost exactly and in two years he tripled throughput. Did it matter that I had never even heard of cold rolled steel? Apparently not.

Edit: it’s very true hat I had nothing to do with running that company. However, if I had, I would have promoted the dudes who I thought had a clue and let them do their thing.

144. Pouzar says:

lance:

No but profit is King and you’d better know the business model. I don’t invest in anything I don’t understand. Just my 2 cents.

*scurries away*

145. gomez44 says:

cahill:
    The main thing that I disliked about MacT’s presser.He was throwing people under the bus, but no accountablity on his part.
    Whenever MacKinnon made a remark such as the blueprint might not be right.He took great offense and started asking what is he suppose to do?I don’t have the answers MacT but you probably should cause last time I checked your the GM.

Any decision that got called out on he was very defensive Nikitan, Draistail, coaches was everybodies problem (Tambellini, procurement, players, ect …) but MacT’s. There was no accountability from MacT at all, that is not the sign of a good leader.The difference in the words of Hall, Perron, Ference, Eakins, ect … they all consdier themselves accountable.MacT has said that he changed over 14 players since he took over the roster and yet this isn’t his problem ???I have liked most of the things that MacT has done, but this presser was shocking for me.Maybe I’m reading too much into it.This organization is messed up from top to bottom.I hope Nicholson gives us all an early Christmas present by taking over hiring a guy like Shero to help make executive decsions until they can get the right people in place.

The worst run organization in major North American sports.

Totally agree, its just plain arrogance coming from them, thinking they know better and refusing to admit any mistakes, of course they are backed up by an owner who still wants there autograph, and media who justify there last place finishes by saying the team is improving,