You don’t need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows and you don’t need a forensic audit to know this is broken. The Edmonton Oilers are beyond belief in terms of the hockey and that’s the only product they sell. A cynic would say that the organization has calculated (correctly) that season ticket holders won’t give up their tickets for next year in order to hold their spot for the new arena.
I don’t remember the last time I enjoyed an Oilers game but it was awhile ago. Each game has a predictable start (“HOW did THAT go in?”) and is followed by a death march to 60. Rinse, repeat. The comments after the game are becoming more and more strained (Taylor Hall, who attempted to block a shot with his face, is a beaten man at 23) because everyone knows which way the wind blows.
No help is coming. The Edmonton Oilers are the kings of tank battles. What a complete mess.
ACTUAL NHL PLAYERS
For fun, let’s add up the actual NHL players in action last night:
- Hall—Nuge—Eberle: That’s three. Whatever else these three men may or may not bring, they’re all bona fide.
- Yakupov—Draisaitl—Pitlick: Three works in progress. I don’t think an incoming coach would dress any of these men, given the choice.
- Perron—Arcobello—Purcell: Two more, as Perron plus Purcell qualify. Arco is a fine utility player but is way too high in the order. This is Gary Sutherland, this is Doug Flynn, this is Tom Foley.
- Hendricks—Gordon—Pinizzotto: Two more, as Gordon and Hendricks absolutely qualify in specific roles. No disrespect to Pinizzotto, I like his work ethic, but this is an expansion level player.
Seven forwards, seven of twelve. Just over half.
- Ference—Petry: That’s two. I thought they played pretty well last night.
- Hunt—Schultz: I don’t want to talk about it. Stubborn stubborn stubborn MacT.
- Klefbom—Fayne: One. Klefbom is trying to gain traction and isn’t having success recently. Time to send him down, call up Marincin.
That’s three. Three of six.
- Scrivens and Fasth: It should be two, seriously. It is none. I don’t blame MacT for making the bet but can sure as hell criticize the fact he’s done nothing to improve the position all year long.
So, 10 of 20 who dress every night. One half of an NHL roster. No help is coming. The Edmonton Oilers are the kings of tank battles. What a complete mess. The Edmonton Oilers are a bad hockey team and they make decisions for reasons other than winning.
One final thing: They’ve told us they don’t trust the amateur scouts and the GM is behind the bench. Who is scouting the WJ’s? No help is coming. The Edmonton Oilers are the kings of tank battles. What a complete mess. The Edmonton Oilers are a bad hockey team and they make decisions for reasons other than winning.