The Oklahoma City Barons are in action tonight and if you’re a farmhand now is a very good time to start filling the net, stopping all pucks or playing out of this world defense. The David Perron trade signals the beginning of what should be a strong audition period for men in the system. One of the best ways to see who is playing well is looking back over the last month.
BARONS NUMBERS DECEMBER 1+ (FORWARDS)
- Anton Lander 11gp, 5-10-15 +9 and 37 shots (recalled to Edmonton)
- Andrew Miller 14gp, 6-6-12 +4 and 37 shots
- Curtis Hamilton 10gp, 2-5-7 +6 and 12 shots
- Iiro Pakarinen 14gp, 2-3-5 +5 and 34 shots
- Bogdan Yakimov 14gp, 1-4-5 even and 33 shots
- Kellen Jones 7gp, 1-2-3 even and 7 shots
- Josh Winquist 11gp, 2-1-3 +3 and 8 shots
- Connor Jones 6gp, 1-0-1 +1 and 11 shots
- Mitch Moroz 15gp, 0-1-1 -5 and 15 shots
- Jujhar Khaira 13gp, 0-0-0 -3 and 16 shots
- Travis Ewanyk 15gp, 0-0-0 -7 and 25 shots
Lander is having another strong AHL season and one hopes he can finally show well as a player with some offensive acumen in the NHL. Miller isn’t a player we’ve talked about as an NHL option but he’s scoring well and shooting a lot so far this year. That’s a strong month for Hamilton, if he can keep it up we may see him in the NHL at some point this year (this may well be his last season in the system). Pakarinen has fallen off offensively but you can see he’s still shooting pucks.
Speaking of, Bogdan Yakimov is a player whose offense has been less than expected this year, hopefully we see some turnaround in the second half. The Jones boys and Josh Winquist are just getting settled in but have been more productive than three fairly high draft picks who are not enjoying good seasons: Moroz, Khaira and Ewanyk haven’t done much this year and very little since December 1.
BARONS NUMBERS DECEMBER 1+ (DEFENSE)
- Jordan Oesterle 14gp, 1-6-7 even and 20 shots
- Dillon Simpson 12gp, 0-6-6 +5 and 16 shots
- Brad Hunt 8gp, 2-3-5 +1 and 22 shots
- Brandon Davidson 10gp, 1-2-3 +6 and 18 shots
- Martin Marincin 15gp, 0-1-1 -1 and 25 shots
- Martin Gernat 13gp, 0-0-0 -1 and 13 shots
- David Musil 14gp, 0-0-0 -4 and 9 shots
A really nice run in December by two college men who are AHL rookies (Oesterle and Simpson) and perhaps an indication of things to come in the second half of the season. Brad Hunt was productive in his games (22 shots!) and Brandon Davidson posted some crooked numbers. Martin Marincin, Martin Gernat and David Musil aren’t delivering much offense but that isn’t a surprise. How well they’re playing defensively is reflected (I think) by all three being passed over in recent weeks for recall by Hunt and Davidson.
It’s an important second half to come, but Laurent Brossoit (who is killing it, number five in save percentage in the AHL) is THE story in OKC this year, with Lander, Hunt and (increasingly) the story of outsiders Pakarinen and Oesterle passing all of the draft picks.