SHOCK CORRIDOR

The Edmonton Oilers’ forensics department is starting to make me nervous. Forensics is only as good as the analysis and I’m really wondering what the hell these people are contemplating.

The problem (as I linked to yesterday) apparently isn’t Taylor Hall, but rather Edmonton’s forensics possibly coming to bizarre conclusions. To reiterate what Bob McKenzie said a couple of days ago on NBCSN:

• “So at this point in time, they’re not fully committed to trading a core player like Taylor Hall, but I think they’re at least entertaining the notion of it. My guess is, if it were to happen, it’d be much more likely to happen in the summer than the deadline. But again, not guaranteed that it will happen at all.” Source

And this morning with Nielson and Fraser on TSN 1260 about Hall being dealt:

• “I think that’s possible. I mean, there’s been no pronouncements of any kind from Craig MacTavish or anybody connected with the Edmonton Oilers.” Source

So, if we marry Tyler’s tweet and the McKenzie information together, it seems Hall is devoted to being an Oiler and the forensics are exploring all avenues. I’ve been a sports fan since the 1960’s and can tell you losing teams who trade their franchise player never get better from it. Trading Taylor Hall is insane. Full stop.

And I do think Craig MacTavish should stand in front of a microphone and say it. As you know, I’m a pro-MacT person and this is (until recently) a pro-MacT blog. If his destiny is to be the man who trades Taylor Hall in order to reach ‘a new tomorrow’ then I’m confident in calling it now: We’re in for another five years of wandering.

If that isn’t the plan—if trading Hall isn’t the organization’s forensic assessment— MacT should make that known. Today. And if he isn’t in charge, then Bob Nicholson should go on Toronto radio again and tell us that way. Either way, for a fanbase that has lost confidence in ownership and management, I think it vital to inform the fans about what they plan to do with the center piece of the cluster. The fan base endured all those losses right along with ownership and management and even though they don’t get a say, surely keeping them informed is the right thing to do.

We wait.

strome dylan

The Oilers are going to have an impossible time beating Buffalo for No. 30 overall and that means there’s every chance McEichel will slip through their hands. I’m not certain that’s a bad thing—sending this generation’s Crosby to an organization that may turn him into something less than he could become isn’t good for anyone—and since we have time let’s discuss candidates for No. 3 overall in 2015.

I think Strome would be my choice, despite my misgivings about his offense getting a push from McDavid (this is similar to Kane—Gagner 2007). I know there are with or without you numbers floating around but for me it’s sort of impossible to separate teammates unless you have actual WOWY stats. If I’m a betting man, Edmonton passes on Noah Hanifin (he is not a complete defenseman—lacks offensive acumen) and takes a center with size for the second year in a row (he is currently 6.03, 187).

pouliot capture

Benoit Pouliot is on a helluva streak currently, it’s a damn shame the Oilers aren’t cashing wins through this run. That said, when we’re discussing a 2line for the fall, the big man is bona fide as the LW option. Scott Cullen has more here.

widmark

LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE

10 this morning, TSN1260. Scheduled to appear:

• Steve Lansky, Big Mouth Sports. Trading Hall and the Leafs after Carlyle.
  • Kent Wilson, Flames Nation. Are the Flames still looking good? Cracks forming? Sam Bennett.
  • Travis Yost, TSN. The lunacy of trading Taylor Hall.
  • Paul Almeida, SSE. Oilers, Oilers, Oilers.

10-1260 text, @Lowetide_ on twitter.

210 Responses to "SHOCK CORRIDOR"

« Older Comments
  1. RexLibris says:

Stamps to the Als for receiver Kenny Stafford, as per TSN.

Sorry to see him go, but thank heaven it isn’t down the QE2.

2. TheOtherJohn says:

Bruce McCurdy,

Tatar and Lander were born 4 months apart. Tatar has played the last 2 1/2 years in the NHL which coincides with the only time Lander scored at the AHL level. I.e. at age 22 and 23. Also Lander scored 108 AHL points in 136 games or .79 ppg. 83 of those 108 points were scored last year and this year Or at the point in time Tatar was an NHL regular

Tatr has 196 points in 275 AHL games or .71 ppg. Very few of those points scored in the AHL in Tatar’s aged 22 and 23 seasons

Tatar score more, more consistently and over longer period of time. than Lander.

Nyquist is not a Lander comparable by just about any measure. AHL scoring 143 points in 137 (1.04 ppg) games at same age as Lander scored in AHL. 91 pts in 141 games in NHL with a .65 ppg Tatar is a .53 ppg in the NHL. I have not used Lander’s NHL ppg because it is not fair to him (stupid Oilers for dressing him in 56 games in 11/12)

Smith, Nyquist and Tatar all excelled in the AHL and still played 155, 137 and 275 games there respectively.

Think thats the Red Wing model

As to the Oiler drafting model: there must be a couple of overage BCJHL kids that are going to play beer league in 3 years. “Hey lets draft those kids, …….early.”

Because Oilers

3. AZOIL says:

Are we the laughing stock of the NHL or what? Read this article above? This guy just mocks us openly its almost embarrassing! I don’t read much on hockey besides this blog but man, I need to pull my head out of the sand!

On a serious note, who on the coyotes do we want? They want youth and picks, we want players with a pulse!

Is Yandle a defensive nightmare? How is Vermette?

voxwah:
    Lt, do you think there’s any chance the Oilers trade Petry this season but then sign him in July??

Would be a win win for the team and player if Petry does want to stay in Edmonton. Getting a playoff run would be fun for him.

I don’t think the Oilers see him as a guy worth what he’s asking. He might be asking for Staal money and EDM might be offering Stralman money, meaning they’re a year behind.

5. lawrenharris says:

Late to this thread, but can’t help expressing my joy at reading a blogsite that, in addition to all its other signal merits, decides to drop Samuel Fuller and Tommy Udo on our heads.

6. oliveoilers says:

AZOIL:

Is Yandle a defensive nightmare? How is Vermette?

Hahaha! Magic beans! Sweet article.

7. Pouzar says:

Hero looks to shoot. All the time. Would love him up here.

As requested I get to see Yak2 and Khaira play together albeit on the PP.

8. Pouzar says:

Morin roofs one from in close on his left wing. Crazy snipe.

9. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Pouzar:
    Morin roofs one from in close on his left wing. Crazy snipe.

new thread.