THE OUTSIDERS

The Edmonton Oilers have three of the 2015 draft’s top 35 selections and the strength of the draft suggests they can walk away with three elite-level talents. At the other end of the draft? Gems, gems, gems! Beginning with a large group of kids who were passed over in the 2014 draft.

LOWETIDE’S LIST

Not that it’s any screaming hell but I’ve already got the list so let’s start with names that were on my homemade draft list one year ago and passed through without being selected. Below is their number on my list, a brief description from the 2014 draft and then (in brackets) what they’re doing now:

• (43) L Dexter Dancs—Sleeper power forward. (21gp, 2-3-5 Michigan NCAA. Not playing much on a strong team)
  • (49) L Vladimir Tkachev—Small, skilled Russian with a ridiculous Q run. (26gp, 9-16-25 not playing big minutes with Remparts)
  • (52) C Andrew Mangiapane—EV/60 is 3.4 and that’s outstanding. (44gp, 28-38-66 with Barrie Colts. Lordy)
  • (62) L Kris Schmidli—3.2/60 at evens. Swiss kid in Kelowna. (39gp, 9-17-26 with Kelowna and PA. Impressive since being traded)
  • (73) C Luke Philp—Skill center can play a complementary role.(47gp, 22-31-53 impressive season with Kootenay)
  • (78) D Gavin Bayreuther—A college man, he’s 20 and has some nice boxcars. (25gp, 5-7-12 numbers are down this year)
  • (80) D Riley Stadel—Crazy good puck handling defender. A draft sleeper. (47gp, 7-19-26 with Kelowna. Another good year)
  • (81) C Colby Cave—Undersized checker. Lots of those! He has some nice things. (48gp, 20-29-49 w/ Swift Current)
  • (82) C Reid Gardner—Two-way center, improving. (41gp, 21-17-38, very good year)
  • (90)L Blake Clark—Big power forward with some skill. (9gp, 2-3-5, lost 37 games to a wrist injury)
  • (98) D Sebastian Aho—Undersized puck moving defender with some promise. (29gp, 0-4-4 is SHL)
  • (112) L Darby Llewellyn—Two-way winger with skill and smarts. (43gp, 12-11-23 with Kitchener)
  • (114) L Ryan Foss—Power forward frame, scored just okay. (36gp, 5-1-6 almost off the grid, now in Guelph)
  • (116) R Mitchel Slattery—Speedy winger with skill. Interesting prospect. (29gp, 4-4-8 in USHL. NOT good numbers for the USHL)
  • (127) R Karson Kuhlman—Two-way agitating winger with skill. (24gp, 5-7-12, strong season for Minn-Duluth NCAA)
  • (133) G Edwin Minney—Big American goalie headed to Michigan State. (Hasn’t played for Michigan State yet)
  • (137) G Blake Weyrick—American goalie on his way to college. I don’t see it.  (8gp, 1.28 .927 in NAHL, Junior A league in USA).

That’s an interesting list. I think there are several names in there who could get drafted in 2015. In fact, some  of them are showing up on Central Scouting’s 2015 mid-term list:

• No. 9 EURO: D Sebastian Aho
  • No. 104 NA: Reid Gardner
  • No. 121 NA: Vladimir Tkachev
  • No. 147 NA: Andrew Mangiapane
  • No. 191 NA: Luke Philp

GOODBYE, OKC BARONS

We’re counting down to the end of the line for the Oklahoma City Barons from Oklahoma USA. It’s as melancholy as Ray Davies’ voice and the melody he gave us decades ago. The move is about business but there’s always a people price. For me, it’s several wonderful individuals I’ve gotten to know over the years. I’ve never met Neal Livingston or Patricia Teter or Eric Rodgers or Rob Ferguson but they’re all important to me, and I’ve grown accustomed to their voices and their humor and grace. We’ll stay in touch sure, but the same way Expos fans stay in touch—with a touch of sadness and always more distant memories of what connected us in the first place. There’s a sadness in the air about OKC and it’s really a damn shame. People being people, I’m sure we’ll meet good folks from the streets of Bakersfield but I don’t like change and take my attachments seriously. I’m sad and that’s the truth.

alone-1920-1080-wallpaperWe’re going to have some dandy ‘ALL-TIME’ Barons lists to have fun with when it’s all over and one of the coolest will be ‘rookie scoring’ over the years. Here’s the list (the top ones) sorted by points-per-game:

1. Justin Schultz 2012-13 34gp, 18-30-48 1.41
  29. David Musil 2013-14 61gp, 2-10-12 .197
  30. Brandon Davidson 2012-13 26gp, 3-12-15 .192
  31. Jujhar Khaira 2014-15 38gp, 2-5-7 .184
  32. Travis Ewanyk 2013-14 68gp, 7-5-12 .176
  33. Kale Kessy 2013-14 54gp, 2-4-6 .111
  34. Mitch Moroz 2014-15 33gp, 0-3-3 .091

Pakarinen is having a really good year and you have to like Oesterle’s progress too. Simpson and Khaira aren’t scorers, Moroz isn’t getting a lot of playing time and that’s a problem. I think that’s one of the reasons the Oilers are moving to Bakersfield, we’re likely to see less on-ice success and more at-bats for the kids a year from now. Greg Chase is arriving at a very good moment in Oilers history I suspect, Edmonton won’t have as many veterans on the skill lines (Jason Williams, Matt Ford, Ryan Hamilton).

A quick note on Kellen Jones and Josh Winquist: Folks, they’re pushing their chances far beyond ‘outsiders’ if they can keep this level of play going. An NHL contract is possible, if not with Edmonton perhaps another team. Good for them. Bogan Yakimov is a trending player on this list and it will be very interesting to see how high he cluimbs.

57 Responses to "THE OUTSIDERS"

1. Ben says:

The all-star game is absolutely MADE for Justin Schultz.

2. John Chambers says:

Is that Nuge and Dan Hamhuis? They had a fight at the beginning of the season.

3. LadiesloveSmid says:

John Chambers:
    Is that Nuge and Dan Hamhuis? They had a fight at the beginning of the season.

Vrbata

4. rickithebear says:

Why do you hate yakimov

rickithebear:
    Why do you hate yakimov

Ha! I swear I had them all! Fixed

6. VanOil says:

Thank goodness for the Aussie Open, the Hockey and Football is unwatchable today. Happy Australia Day and Burns night. The Haggis is in the oven and neeps and tatties are about to go under the blade.

7. VanOil says:

Will OKC get the ECHL team as a replacement?

VanOil:
    Will OKC get the ECHL team as a replacement?

Yes. I think it’s Norfolk but no official announcement. It would be:

1. NHL Edmonton
    2. AHL Bakersfield
    3. ECHL Norfolk

9. PeOiler says:

Any ideas as to what will happen to players on ECHL-only contracts? I’m sure there wont be room for everyone…

10. Rondo says:

VanOil:

Women’s tennis is unwatchable.

PeOiler:
    Any ideas as to what will happen to players on ECHL-only contracts?I’m sure there wont be room for everyone…

I think they’ll continue, with a half dozen players from the NHL team being sent there for seasoning. A prospect goalie may end up there next season.

Rondo: Women’s tennis is unwatchable.

I’ve enjoyed women’s tennis going back to Chris Evert.

13. Rondo says:

I truly find it boring.

14. Yeti says:

Rondo:

I truly find it boring.

On occasion, some opinions are best kept to oneself.

15. Rondo says:

Yeti,

Please, you must be joking

16. Tire Fire says:

Lowetide: I’ve enjoyed women’s tennis skirts going back to Chris Evert.

FTFY.

I kid, I kid. I don’t watch any type of tennis so I’m in no place to know if it’s a riveting sport. I bet there are a lot of good moments if you get into it though.

17. VanOil says:

Rondo: Women’s tennis is unwatchable.

18. Rondo says:

VanOil: I am eating offal and barley stuffed in a sheep’s stomach in honor of 18th century poet and it is Women’s tennis you object too?

Anyone who eats haggis is not well.

19. VanOil says:

Rondo: Anyone who eats haggis is not well.

I am enjoying it and the Women’s tennis I am watching. Don’t worry I get healthy next Sunday eating wings and watching Football.

20. Rondo says:

VanOil,

I’m happy for you.

21. Diesel says:

I gave the All-Star game a legitimate chance to entertain me, free from the skepticism of most. Not because this is my first rodeo, but because I’m an eternal optimist.

The game was an absolute joke. I’m not at all whining about the lack of contact, for I am an intelligent fan who also happens to breathe through my nose on most occasions. But, come ON.

The entire point of the All-Star game is to showcase your superstars in an attempt to engage your fans and attract new ones. Who on earth would watch that product and say to themselves, “wow, so this is why people love this game!”?.

What makes an NHL caliber star so exciting to watch is their ability to puck-handle/shoot at high speed. If we aren’t going to see ANY speed when watching them in this setting, then why bother?

22. theres oil in virginia says:

Lowetide: Yes. I think it’s Norfolk but no official announcement. It would be:

1. NHL Edmonton
    2. AHL Bakersfield
    3. ECHL Norfolk

Wait, are you saying that if I catch a hockey game when I’m back in east Virginia visiting family, that it’ll actually be an Oilers (midgets) game? Woohoo! “Sure Ma, we’ll come for a visit this holiday!” (I’m so bad.)

23. jake70 says:

What was the reason for moving out of OKC? Pure attendance issues or was there something else?

24. Hammers says:

Diesel:

The entire point of the All-Star game is to showcase your superstars in an attempt engage your fans and attract new ones. Who on earth would watch that product and say to themselves, “wow, so this is why people love this game!”?.

So true . Loved it in the old days. Stanley champs vs all stars in a real game. That game isn’t what the game is ,not even close. .

25. flyfish1168 says:

AHL Skills comp is on. Bachman looking good in shoot out

jake70:
    What was the reason for moving out of OKC?Pure attendance issues or was there something else?

Sounds very complicated. I think there are multiple issues and the important ones involve money.

27. HiddenDarts says:

I’m probably one of the rare people that’s THRILLED about the team moving to Bakersfield. Being in San DIego and all (rumored home to the new Ducks farm team), I’ll likely have at least 5 opportunities to see Oilers prospects a season. Plus, if I wanted to take the five hour journey to the ‘Field and hang out in the desert, I guess I could see far more.

OKC was just too far away for everyone, frankly. And there’s no way you can keep a franchise with those kind of attendance numbers.

I did love the team, though. I just bought a Jersey on their website for beer league play. It was 50% off the regular place. They’re probably not going like hotcakes, but I was glad to get one.

28. supernova says:

HiddenDarts:

HiddenDarts,

How do you think the AHL will draw in San Diego?

I have been there a bunch and love the city and the area but have a hard time seeing AHL hockey as a good draw.

29. oliveoilers says:

Once again, Arby’s is worse.

Ode To Jultz

Wee, sleekit, cow’rin, tim’rous beastie,
    O, what a panic’s in thy breastie!….

30. supernova says:

I agree it is a huge loss to lose the “tend the farm team” I have really enjoyed them.
    Excellent hockey fans and people with very good and informed opinions.
    Was hoping the Oilers hire them and move them all to California.

As far as hockey and business side goes it seems to make perfect sense, An AHL West division is great for hockey ( imagine the young minor players who have a chance to see future NHL’ers in their city) as well as fan attendance.

As far as running the team, the Oilers have came a long way from the EIG days of having no farm. That was completely idiotic and short sighted.

But there is a disconnect currently between having a competitive team and developing prospects. It seems to take the Oilers a lot longer to develop their CHL players than it should. Now I believe the players have to earn it but they also have to get the right playing time to earn it.

On my team in Bakersfield I wouldn’t have Brad Hunt, R Hamilton, S Pinnizotto, A Miller or R Bachman.

All these players are very suspect at best NHLers and the purpose of the AHL team is to develop NHL players.

I do have time for the odd veteran at Center or D ( not Hunt )

My Bakersfield Oiler Baron Condors for next year

Center
    Williams or equivalent especially on a AHL deal
    Yakimov

Veteran D

Goal

Brossoit
    O’Conner

31. Ca$h-Money! says:

supernova,

You missed Sleppy, he could be an important player for that club.

32. Romulus Apotheosis says:

supernova: The Oilers system is finally deep enough to ice a full team capable of trying to win in the AHL. Especially with the current crop of kids CHL kids Elgible for AHL next year.

Have to be careful projecting CHL kids into the AHL.

We can say all we want about lack of development TOI for Curtis, Tyler, Mitchell, etc., but that won’t get us completely around the fact that all these guys had (or in Moroz’ case, are having) a tough time scoring when they hit the minor pros.

It’s a big jump.

The Oilers should be using that ECHL team more productively. Moroz should have been there ages ago… and I suspect many of this year’s CHL grads should play in the ECHL next year too.

33. Mr DeBakey says:

No. 104 NA: Reid Gardner

According to the inertubes, Reid Gardner is a coal-fired generating station in Nevada .
    The hockey player is allegedly named Gardiner.

Notwithstanding that, Gardner, Stadel and Philp are all too small to be Oiler picks.

34. striker says:

Just let me dream you animals. Oilers re-sign Petry. Trade Ference and Nikitin at trade deadline. Trade JSchultz to teams still enamoured by his offensive promise. Trade Eberle for Barkov. Then draft Marner. Ok…I’ll wake up now.

35. striker says:

Rondo: Women’s tennis is unwatchable.

Men’s tennis is often dominated by huge shots and short rallies and hitting off the baseline, for the most part now. Women (with some exceptions) playing in the pros often cannot rely on one huge shot. Makes the game is more strategic, IMO. That said, I enjoy both men’s and women’s tennis.

36. supernova says:

Ca$h-Money!:
    supernova,

You missed Sleppy, he could be an important player for that club.

Ca$h-Money!,

Agreed.

37. Yak2 says:

I thought Blake Clarke was 2015 eligible, but whatever. I like his Future Considerations scouting report: “…plays a hard north-south game in the power forward mold. He has a high skill and compete level mixed with a booming shot and a willingness to battle anywhere on the ice. Still, there is room for Clarke to play with even more of an edge.” That’s a guy we need and definitely would take a shot on him in the 5th-7th rounds, maybe even the 4th. Hopefully we can scoop him up. He might be another Brandon Saad.

38. vangolf says:

Rondo: Women’s tennis is unwatchable.

Based on the truthfulness of those 4 words, you are now my favourite poster ever. I love tennis, and but for me objectifying certain women – hello Eugenie – the women’s game is dreadful, especially in this golden era of men’s tennis where the big boring servers of the nineties have been neutered by string/racquet innovation that titled the balance back to the returner.

39. GCW_69 says:

Sometimes I think people forget the ten or twelve years old you who used to watch the all star game and marvel at all the scoring.

40. Halfwise says:

Rondo: Women’s tennis is unwatchable.

I can watch it, but it has to be muted. Those little shrieks on every shot are just bad coaching.

41. supernova says:

Romulus Apotheosis: Have to be careful projecting CHL kids into the AHL.

It’s a big jump.

Romulus Apotheosis,

I would agree that Oilers should be using the ECHL more appropriately, they are better this year though with the Winquist, Jones, Ludwig type adds.

I disagree on the fact that CHLers can’t project into the AHL. If we can believe that CHL is the best junior leagues available, the Oilers should be able to find enough players whether it is through FA overagers like Winquist or the Moroz types.

To me the common thread is the Oilers not allowing their CHL players to dominate in their respect league before the jump to pro.

Moroz
    Hamilton
    Pitlick
    Ewanyk
    Khaira

All should have played their Overage system in the WHL.

To me this is about “at-bats” and dominating.
    Bruce McCurdy did a good write up on the 2010 guys awhile back.

I thought Moroz would have done better than he has, I didn’t expect him to score tons but 30 some over the year was project able.

After Pitlick was injured his only year in Junior I thought he should have been back in the dub.

Each player is different but I think for the Oilers system development is key.

Set the standard. I think the standard should be to expect to play your overage year in the CHL.

Currently the Oilers standard has been to have a really veteran few forwards that could arguably play all the key roles in the minors.

“Set your players up for success”

How much do they learn by watching? Should they not be competing against another prospect who is maybe within a couple of years of them for the same opportunity?

I advocate signing College FA and giving them a chance but it only takes a year or two to tell.

I would have Houck and Roy competing against C. Hamilton & Winquist and maybe this years version of college FA Miller.

I wouldn’t have them competing against R. Hamilton & A. Miller though.

What is the peak of those players? You can get the better version of those players every year on waivers if you need be.

Matt Fraser > Andrew Miller

I have tons of time for the chances for Iiro types.

Now if say Roy, and Houck can beat out Winquist and Jones then you ECHL or overage them.

I want prospects not a team full of AHL players who are suspects at the NHL level.

Again I will say having a good Veteran C and veteran D is good but your other veterans should be your Curtis Hamiltons, your David Musils, your Anton Lander’s, your Iiro’s. Not your 30 year old wingers.

If you have a 30 year old winger on your farm team it should be the Uncle Jessey types who were beat out by another player for their NHL job.

Not trying to be negative on Pinnizotto, R Hamiltom, and A Miller but they are taking substantial playing time away from even a player like Winquist who at this point has just as good as chance as them as a long NHL career if not better.

I liked the Miller signing at the time but we know what we have now and it’s time to move on and give someone else the chance,

Sincerely all the best to them, I really do wish them success but just in another organization. Maybe one like LA where their current NHL team has almost no room for anyone to break threw.

42. HiddenDarts says:

supernova: HiddenDarts,

How do you think the AHL will draw in San Diego?

The WHA’s San Diego Mariners, for one, but more important to most people were the San Diego Gulls of the 1990s. You talk to anyone about hockey in the city, and 4 out of 5 of them will get all eyes aglow about a great time they used to have at Gulls games.

From what I can tell, the minor minor minor pro Gulls were champions, and the games were basically Wrestlemania on skates. That, and there wasn’t assigned seating with proper security, so the drunker you were, the closer you got to the boards, and thus the better the games (despite the lesser likelihood of memories).

Do I think it’ll work? No idea. But stranger things have happened. Fortunately, OKC set the bar so incredibly low, that it just might succeed… for how long is the real question.

43. VOR says:

How do you define best player available?

If that is the gold standard for drafting players we should be able to define it.

That definition has to consist of more than “because I say so.”

Are we going to base it on NHLE?

Probability of NHL success?

VOR:
    How do you define best player available?

That definition has to consist of more than “because I say so.”

Are we going to base it on NHLE?

Probability of NHL success?

Moving target. For the top of the draft, Bob McKenzie. After the first two or three picks, then ‘in the range’ and after that ‘not Jesse Niinimaki’ until No. 60.

45. supernova says:

HiddenDarts: This is the $64 million question, as far as I can see. Noting the sheer dearth of hockey fans in this town, I feel like it’ll be death, but the city does have a little history with hockey.

HiddenDarts,

You seem as optimistic as me.
    I have been to a few Chargers games, and a few Padres games.
    The marketing will be key. The family feel in the arena as well.

Would have thought Northern or Central California better target but it wouldnt be close to Anaheim then.

I really hope it succeeds though.

Would like to see a west central AHL division pop up. The utah, boise Idaho, Colorado, AZ and maybe even OKC pop back up in a few years.

46. VOR says:

LT,

My problem isn’t with your definition. It is that BPA is used as a way of evaluating scouts and scouting strategies and the minute you want to use it as an analytical tool you need a rigorous definition.

I don’t belive anyone here can define best player available any better than you just did. So it has absolutely no value as any sort of metric or identifier.

VOR:
    LT,

Sure. That’s fair. An example I use is Darnell Nurse. Oilers took him at 7, I had Nichushkin and Ristolainen ahead of him. I don’t think it’s reasonable to crush EDM for taking Nurse because he was ‘in the range’ of BPA.

Sam with Leon. I had him No. 3, but my No. 1 (Bennett) was still available. I don’t think it’s reasonable to say Oilers chose wrong or didn’t get their BPA.

48. Bruce McCurdy says:

Diesel: If you’re an NHL marketing exec you must be absolutely sick to your stomach watching that garbage. Little effort, zero speed, and less enthusiasm.

Yes, yes, & yes. Anybody NHL types who consider that a “showcase” have zero respect for their own product. Just an embarrassing display of horsepucky.

49. Bruce McCurdy says:

Rondo: Women’s tennis is unwatchable.

Today’s sporting events:

Cibulkova-Azarenka match >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    NHL All-Star game.

High intensity, high skill, playing for keeps vs. horsepucky.

50. Bruce McCurdy says:

vangolf: Based on the truthfulness of those 4 words, you are now my favourite poster ever.I love tennis, and but for me objectifying certain women – hello Eugenie – the women’s game is dreadful, especially in this golden era of men’s tennis where the big boring servers of the nineties have been neutered by string/racquet innovation that titled the balance back to the returner.

You love tennis, except you hate half of it?

51. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Lowetide: Sam with Leon.

This is some kind of Freudian Slip, LT.

Incidentally, Sam Reinhart is 24 10-29-39 (1.625 PPG) this year back in the W.

And, Sam Bennett has yet to play a game anywhere this season.

52. PhrankLee says:

Romulus Apotheosis: And, Sam Bennett has yet to play a game anywhere this season.

Not big but very edgy and cold.

A pure assassin. I have been a little worried about how under the radar he is due to this injury.

He is going to be a very potent enemy for many years.

53. frjohnk says:

MOSCOW — The Kontinental Hockey League’s president says he wants to slash its salary cap as clubs struggle financially in Russia’s economic crisis.

Dmitry Chernyshenko told Russian media Saturday he wants to cut the 1.1 billion ruble ($17 million) salary cap by 50 million rubles a year each season until 2017-18.

At current exchange rates, that would result in a cap that is a fifth of the NHL’s current $69 million level.

The plans likely spell an end to the KHL’s plans to rival the NHL’s popularity and attract big-name players from North America.

Almost all of the KHL’s 28 clubs rely heavily on Russian state-owned companies and regional governments for their revenue.

With Russian government finances under pressure from low oil prices, several clubs are reportedly struggling to pay players.

…………………………………………………………
    Id expect more Russian prospects to get drafted this year than in years past.
    And kinda hoping Horak comes back and Sleppy crosses the pond.

54. HiddenDarts says:

supernova: HiddenDarts,

You seem as optimistic as me.
    I have been to a few Chargers games, and a few Padres games.
    The marketing will be key. The family feel in the arena as well.

I really hope it succeeds though.

Frankly, I’d consider it a success if I could go into 9 out of 10 sports bars here, ask for hockey to be played on the TV, and not get looked at like I suggested we all watch “Knit and Crochet Today”. That’s where we’re at now.

Even if it created more Ducks fans (grrr), it would be fantastic to be able to talk hockey with strangers while enjoying a beer.

55. SoCaloil says:

Wow. Another san Diegan on this blog!! Whoop hooo

I hope the new AHL pacific division will be created
    It will help youth development and reduce travel times. It will simplify callus by the ducks and kings too

As far as San Diego, it will work fine
    Everyone in San Diego is not from here. Folks from the east coast and Canadiens will go to games
    And recent success of the ducks will help
    Fathers will take their sons to see games
    Folks miss the gulls
    The arena is in place and is accessible

And I will be able to see the Barons and report back to you. Whoooo hooooo

One of the WHA’s best played in a San Diego uniform for a time:

57. Romulus Apotheosis says:

PhrankLee: We will be shocked when we have to play him next year. He is absolutely incredible.

Not big but very edgy and cold.

He is going to be a very potent enemy for many years.

I don’t know of anyone who under-rates Bennett.