THE WIND CRIES GAINEY?

In 1973, the July Hockey News (it came by truck to Rexall Drugs in Maidstone and I bought it with money earned helping my Grandpa on his farm) told me about the draft. By then I loved the draft and had an active hatred going for the Habs (they had most of the picks, the jerks). I’m going to run the top 10 in that year’s draft with their boxcars and you’ll know instantly what stood out for me on that day in 1973.

TOP TEN PICKS, 1973 DRAFT

1973 top 10While we’re here, I might as well pass along a few things. Sam Pollock walked Bill Torrey around the Mount Royal Hotel for an hour before the draft trying to pry Potvin from the Islanders. Thank you Bill Torrey! Lysiak was a filthy player but highly skilled, didn’t get famous really until Chicago but he was an excellent center—tripped a ref once, got suspended. Vervegaert had some good seasons but faded, something Canucks first rounders did a lot during those years. McDonald was a rambunctious winger with some skill when he arrived in the NHL but he settled in as a tremendous offensive shooter long before the Leafs took leave of their senses.

John Davidson was drafted by St. Louis, famously because Pollock sent them that pick with the agreement Boston wouldn’t get the goalie. Jackass Pollock! Then Boston apparently took Savard to spite Pollock (!!!!) which was followed by the HHOF pick. Bob Neely was a center in 1971-72 but Roger Neilson turned him into a defenseman and the kid was so good at it he was taken Top 10 overall.

gainey

Look at those boxcars. In a round devoted to 100-point men and 50-goal scorers, a guy who pops 22 goes No. 8 overall? That’s what caught my eye in summer 1973, when everyone else was walking the dog or mowing the lawn or enjoying a nice cool brew. What the hell are the Habs up to? Bob Gainey informed me every game from 1973 to 1989 and after awhile the questions stopped and the Hockey News was lost and only the memory remained. And here we are.

CROUSE?

In order for Lawson Crouse to be a top 10 (some say top 5) selection you’d need to prove to his defense approaches Gainey level or no sale. What do we know for sure?

• Crouse is huge (6.03, 212)
  • Crouse played a 4line role for Team Canada at WJ’s and impressed everyone with his size and ability to intimidate.
  • Crouse is a hockey player, not a goon.
  • Crouse is not a big time scorer (35gp, 18-10-28; the NHLE is 82gp, 13-7-20).
  • Crouse plays on the power play (35gp, 4-2-6) and penalty kill (35gp, 1-0-1) but most of his points are EV (35gp, 13-8-21).
  • He has 60 pims in 35 games, that’s a lot in this era. It looks like four fighting majors.

None of this implies he belong in the first round. The top 10? Come on. Top FIVE? In a draft like this, a scouting director is basically taking the gaspipe with that selection.

Pronman has him moving up sharply and I have a great deal of respect for Corey. IS there a special defensive kicker here? It’s important because the ‘saw him good’ crowd are barking on this one. Let’s have a closer look.

• Brock Otten, OHL Prospects: Crouse is a coach’s dream. He does almost everything well on the ice. He could probably step on to an NHL 4th line right now and not look out of place. His two-way game is incredibly polished and he makes so many plays (whether it be a good pass, a forced turnover, a check to separate his man from the puck) that don’t make it on the score sheet. Crouse also happens to be a very big kid who plays big and has no fear of throwing his weight around. The offensive skill set is definitely still developing. His confidence in using his shot and driving the net is still evolving. He certainly doesn’t have the offensive potential of a guy like Strome. But, he’s about as sure a bet to play in the NHL as you’ll find in this draft. Source

That’s the kind of thing we’re looking for—two-way game stands out and a great deal of defensive acumen—but anecdotal information is one thing, Bob Gainey level skill without the puck is quite another. I think the scouting end, the ‘saw him good’ verbal, is summed up nicely by Kyle Woodlief of Red Line Report:

• Woodlief: “There’s not a whole lot he can’t do. He can play the big game any way you want it.” Source

I think a team like Calgary or the Rangers grab him and I don’t think Edmonton takes Crouse with their lottery pick. In MacT’s two drafts he has devoted the top pick to an up the middle player (D Darnell Nurse and C Leon Draisaitl) and one suspects that will not change this time around. That isn’t to say Crouse isn’t top 10 on the Oilers lists, though. I have him No. 19 on my latest list and if the young man can’t reach 1/1 points-per-game or better by season’s end there could be 30 players ahead of him. My guess is he goes No. 7-12 in the draft and if he falls below that we might see Edmonton attempt to trade up and get him.

THE GAME LAST NIGHT

If you think Taylor Hall is a player Edmonton should trade, I need you to find a giant 2×4 and slap yourself upside the head with it. Nothing too drastic, maybe 10 or 20 times. The top line missed him and the other lines couldn’t get a thing done, as Benoit Pouliot was also unavailable. The Oilers are razor thin everywhere but Hall’s absence is especially notable, the Oilers don’t mean a thing if they ain’t got that swing. And good God almighty they have to convince their blue chipping it off the boards or glass is the last chance Texaco not the No. 1 option. Hideous execution for most of the back line, although treble Klef and jultzing Matilda continue to catch my eye. Nice to see Nelson run Petry and Fayne for a time, we talked about that during training camp as a nice shutdown option. Viktor Fasth? He’s a good goalie.

pleshette

LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE

It’s going to be a rocking good time this morning at 10, TSN 1260. Scheduled to appear:

• Dennis King, Oilogopshere Icon. Oilers last night, Oilers on the road, Oilers without Petry. Expansion to Vegas.
  • Alex Thomas, Oilers Rig. What in the Jesus is the Beanpot?
  • Mark Spizzirri, Hockeybuzz. Red Wings are healthy and winning, will they bring in reinforcements? Petry?
  • Corey Graham, TSN 1260. Oil Kings on the road this weekend, we’ll check on Corey and the team.

10-1260 text, @Lowetide_ on twitter. Don’t miss it! One show only!

57 Responses to "THE WIND CRIES GAINEY?"

1. Clarkenstein says:

Scouting must have been a helluva lot better in those days. Virtually everybody in that ’73 draft turned out to be studs for their respective teams.

Clarkenstein:

NHL scouts in 1973 were looking at kids who were 19 during their final junior season. Helluva lot easier.

I did the player grades for Cult of Hockey last night.

I grade the coach and GM too.

4. The Artist formerly known as "NYCOIL" says:

How sad is it that however many years we are into this rebuild, now in 4.0 stage, the Oilers are “razor thin” everywhere, ie., no organizational depth. That’s such a damn sad thing.

Would it be useful to compare Crouse with Landeskog, LT? Reads like a similar scouting reports in some ways, no? Polished 2-way game, some size. A lot of people undersold Landy’s scoring touch and once he showed he had it in the NHL, maybe that changed a few hearts and minds about this player type?

5. The Artist formerly known as "NYCOIL" says:

Woodguy,

Hope MacT read it. Ha ha. Nicely done.

SIgn Petry.

6. GCW_69 says:

A line up with Aullie and Gazdic got its clock cleaned by Pittsburgh? Shocking.

A line up with Gazdic, Aullie, Yakupov, Ference, Fraser, and Purcell didn’t shine? I am flabbergasted.

7. doritogrande says:

Nycoil:

Interesting comp, but I checked the stats. In his draft year Landeskog went 53gp 36-30-66 in the OHL. If Crouse can get somewhere close to that I think we could extrapolate some expectations.

With that said, where would a Landeskog type (2nd overall) go in a deeper draft? 2011 was said to be about average, yes?

8. G Money says:

Woodguy,

Nicely done as always, despite your shutout mojo.

Two comments, not sure if either is worth an after-the-fact edit:

– Typo in fifth paragraph: “… bouncy-house ice surface and both teams has trouble making passes”, has ~ had

– Matt Henderson’s comment about Yakpuppy wasn’t actually “his”, he was either building on or mocking the SportsNet commentator (Simpson, eh?), who compared Yak’s free spirited but out of control game to that of a puppy. And believe it or not, it was meant in a complimentary fashion, with the suggestion that Yak will eventually turn into a big dog who knows exactly where to go…

9. The Artist formerly known as "NYCOIL" says:

doritogrande,

Yes, Landeskog had a bit more offense but the year’s not done. But the scouting reports read in a similar fashion. I don’t think it’s a stretch to say Crouse could be Landeskog with a little less offense in the NHL as well.

I think the talk of Crouse top 5 this year is a bit much. I’d say if Landeskog were in this year’s draft class (and yes, 2011 was considered average), we’d be talking about him ahead of Crouse, behind Hanifin, Strome, Marner, but probably next on the list. #6?

10. dustrock says:

Who’s the modern equivalent of Gainey? Bergeron?

11. RMGS says:

Woodguy:
    I did the player grades for Cult of Hockey last night.

I grade the coach and GM too.

Nice job, but what was Nelson supposed to do given the D made available to him?

12. frjohnk says:

A few things about Crouse.

-He plays on the second lowest scoring team in the OHL. He does not have much support. Kingston has scored 129 goals. League average is 166. Leading scorer for Kingston has 36 points.

-He scored at a 1.82 pts/game clip in the AHMMPL. That’s in the range of Bo Horvat, Boone Jenner, Jared McCann at the same age.

-He has some skill, I wonder if he played on a higher scoring team, he could have boxcars something like 18G 30A 48Pts in 35 games.

-played in the WJC for Canada as one of the younger players in the draft. This is a pretty select group.

– gets high praise from many respected scouts like Pronman.

G Money:
    Woodguy,

Nicely done as always, despite your shutout mojo.

Two comments, not sure if either is worth an after-the-fact edit:

– Matt Henderson’s comment about Yakpuppy wasn’t actually “his”, he was either building on or mocking the SportsNet commentator (Simpson, eh?), who compared Yak’s free spirited but out of control game to that of a puppy.And believe it or not, it was meant in a complimentary fashion, with the suggestion that Yak will eventually turn into a big dog who knows exactly where to go…

1) Thank you. I’ll blame Bruce, he edited it. (he actually did a great job editing. Made it much more coherent)

2) I missed both Simpson saying it and Matt being derisive about it.

I think the analogy is very apt. Happy, excited young puppy who just wants to please everyone, but who still pees on the floor too much, but is learning.

RMGS: Nice job, but what was Nelson supposed to do given the D made available to him?

Not put Aulie out against Crosby/Malkin for 5 more minutes than Klef/Schultz

Either swap assignments or swap Aulie with Klef.

He had 3 choices and picked the worst one imo.

15. Clay says:

Crouse is way too much of a risk to take in the top 5, but if he’s around when the Pittsburg pick is up? Lordy that would be a steal.

I get the impression that he’s essentially the love child of Mike Grier and Fernando Pisani.

16. Jesse says:

Great job on the grades, Woodguy.

17. Rondo says:

The effect of birth date.
    What is the most important research ever in NHL draft analytics? 2.5 paragraphs and a table in 2011 from @IainFyffe
    Reply Retweet Favorite

Lawson Crouse 7/18/1997

Zach Werenski, 7/19/1997

18. Ben says:

Speaking of, Gainey would be pretty much my top choice of available people to take over POHO here.

19. Heinz 57 says:

Woodguy:
    I did the player grades for Cult of Hockey last night.

I grade the coach and GM too.

Your grades were a nice read. I cracked the code right away. Depending on one’s view of the lottery, 1=11. Modular arithmetic Spinal Tap-In.

I presently have no opinion on Nelson over Eakins. The final line of my post yesterday was pure mockumentary.

That said, Eakins’ “bill of goods” comment was a ripe one. I suspect that long before the dust settled on his hiring interview, Dallas had already pencilled onto the bill of goods a guest house with a six-car garage. Next time watch some game tape during the off-season, Dallas. The neck you save just might be your own.

20. knighttown says:

Woodguy: Not put Aulie out against Crosby/Malkin for 5 more minutes than Klef/Schultz

Either swap assignments or swap Aulie with Klef.

He had 3 choices and picked the worst one imo.

One thing with Nelson is a tendency to coddle the young players. I don’t actually mean coddle as an insult…he’s very cognizant about putting them in positions to succeed. I don’t consider zone starts to be nearly as important as Qualcomp…I’m not sure if the data shows this or not but my eyes certainly tell me I’d rather face Gazdic starting in my own zone than Hall starting in the other zone and I think Nelson agrees.

Exhibit A; I was quite shocked to hear how the decision came to be made about Yak staying on Line 2. Sportsnet stated clearly that Yak overruled Nelson who wanted to put him with 14/93. Yak did the math and knew that playing with 14/93 meant a steady diet of either Malkin/Crosby and Letang/Martin. That means tons of time in your own zone which he sort of sucks at. I’d be OK if Nelson made this assessment and call but the fact that Yak did is…concerning. He’s really enjoying his role playing against the dregs and seems to consider himself the best player on the ice when he’s out there…or at least he sees he and Roy as having the upper hand. He’s being used as a 3rd/4th liner with respect to his matchups. The concern is that he’s heading into his 3rd full season and at some point he’s got to be able to handle tougher minutes.

Exhibit B; Klefa and Schultz got the very same treatment and were kept away from 87/71 at all costs. Again, that is a great move for the confidence of those two players but at some point we have to see if these guys are anything more than a 5/6 pair.

Nuge and Ebs were protected a bit too or as much as they could be to still get their 20 minutes of ice and considering the Yak minutes. As the game went on they faced Lapierre/Sill/Bortuzzo and that crowd.

But boy oh boy, if you’re veteran filler (Hendricks, Klink, Aulie, Gordon, Purcell, Ference, Fayne) or as good as gone (Petry) or a lesser/older prospect (Lander, Fraser) on this team you are going to be sacrificed like nobody’s business. Only Petry survived it.

If you ask me what Nelson’s goal for the rest of the season is I’d tell you he’d sacrifice everyone to build up the confidence of the young core.

21. frjohnk says:

frjohnk:
    A few things about Crouse.

-He plays on the second lowest scoring team in the OHL.He does not have much support.Kingston has scored 129 goals.League average is 166.Leading scorer for Kingston has 36 points.

-He scored at a 1.82 pts/game clip in the AHMMPL.That’s in the range of Bo Horvat, Boone Jenner, Jared McCann at the same age.

-played in the WJC for Canada as one of the younger players in the draft.This is a pretty select group.

– gets high praise from many respected scouts like Pronman.

I should add that I still think its a reach for him to be in the top 10 because we can not be sure of his offense. He could be a 1st line winger just as easy as a 3rd line winger.

Nick Ritchie ( somewhat of a comparable) went 10th overall last year ( That was a reach pick)

Crouse has more potential IMO. There will be a team that will love the size and skating and pick him in the top 10.

22. RexLibris says:

Re: Crouse to Calgary

The Flames are likely picking at the beginning of the “playoff round” teams.

I doubt Crouse falls that far.

If there’s this much smoke around him as a top ten pick I can’t see a team picking 10th or even 12th passing on him if he is available.

If the season ended today Crouse would have to get by Philly, LA, Dallas, Minnesota, Florida, Colorado, Vancouver, Winnipeg and San Jose to be available to the Flames. And that is just the teams ranked 9th and counting, so a team closer to the start of the draft could take Leaf of their senses and pick him within the top eight.

Interesting player and I wonder if we don’t all look back in seven or eight years and say “how could we have not seen it?”

Ben:

Any man capable of making McDonagh a part of a Gomez deal shouldn’t be in charge of a hockey team.

24. verdad2.0 says:

Surely last night’s game should be the final condemnation of MacTavish as GM of the Oilers.
    How fitting that Perron scores and Aulie plays.

I’ve made the point many times but it seems worth repeating the Oilers got functionally nothing for Perron other than the comfort that they helped Pittsburgh stay competitive. That is hardly the objective function of a GM of the Oilers.

As for playing Aulie, there is no justification at all for that. It serves neither the future or present day interests of the Oilers.

Worst of all is the basic abuse of the Oilers fans. Why are the supporters of the team so disregarded? They deserve to be gratified now , not perpetually deluded by deceptions that “futures”” ever amount to anything.

Also, from the bold moves department, no way Nugenet Hopkins shouldn’t be on the table. Last night’s performance was another example of the limitations of this player. Less upside than most on this blog ascribe to him. Lets not make the same mistake as we did with Gagner , hanging on to him way past real value could be obtained for him.

But decisions like this need an inspired GM. Not MacTavish.
    Can we simply all get behind this obvious strategic imperative for the Oilers?

25. The Artist formerly known as "NYCOIL" says:

Ben:

So long as he is kept away from trade-making authority, I’d be okay with that, although perhaps unfair to pin him for one bad trade, it was appalling from the start as a lot of people were shocked they made that move and bailed out the Rangers; in hindsight it became one of the worst trades of the last 20 years.

26. The Artist formerly known as "NYCOIL" says:

verdad2.0,

Dude, lay off NUGE. Put your pitchfork away.

27. verdad2.0 says:

The Artist formerly known as “NYCOIL”,

Look at last night’s game.
    Look at any game he has played against the Sedins.
    Reconsider.

28. knighttown says:

And on Petry…I could also sort of understand the “Petry would be a #5 on a good team” argument since we never really had a direct comparable. But doesn’t Mark Fayne change that for everyone? He’s also 27 years old and gets paid about 4 million per year.

He’s, for the most part, been exactly what we thought he’d be. Maybe I’m a bit disappointed as I sort of hoped that I’d forgotten what a good defenseman looked like and that Fayne might shock me, but no, he’s a tough minutes guy with almost no offense.

What he isn’t is Jeff Petry. He’s not even remotely close is he?

He was miles ahead of Smid. He was miles ahead of Ference when he arrived. He was miles ahead of Fayne and Nikitin this year. The only way Petry is a #5 is if all of these guys are number 8’s.

You add the direct comparisons to the consistently good fancy stats and the incredible tool set of elite skating and excellent size and then you add in the “lefthanded pitcher” and the 27 year old aspects and you’ve got one hell of an asset. I’d do 5×6 million for this guy on THIS team. I might not do that on other teams but he would literally be the ideal target for the Oilers if he played somewhere else.

29. The Artist formerly known as "NYCOIL" says:

verdad2.0:
    The Artist formerly known as “NYCOIL”,

Look at last night’s game.
    Look at any game he has played against the Sedins.
    Reconsider.

Speaking of the Sedins, look at how they were when they were 21. I think you should be the one reconsidering.

verdad2.0:
    Surely last night’s game should be thefinal condemnation of MacTavish as GM of the Oilers.
    Howfitting that Perron scores and Aulie plays.

I’ve made the point many times but it seems worth repeating the Oilers got functionally nothing for Perron other than the comfort that they helped Pittsburgh stay competitive. That is hardly the objective function of aGM of the Oilers.

Also, from the bold moves department, no way Nugenet Hopkins shouldn’t be on the table. Last night’s performance was another example of the limitations of this player.Less upside than most on this blog ascribe to him. Lets not make the same mistake as we did with Gagner , hanging on to him way past real value could be obtained for him.

But decisions like this need an inspired GM. Not MacTavish.
    Can we simply all get behind this obvious strategic imperative for the Oilers?

I have to go, but I disagree with everything you say.

31. frjohnk says:

Rondo:
    The effect of birth date.
    Reply Retweet Favorite

Lawson Crouse7/18/1997

ZachWerenski, 7/19/1997

I’m a huge believer in that when looking at players with late birthdates in a draft ,it is absolutely key to look at the 17 year old season.

Some players explode from their 17 to 18 year old season. Some of these guys happen to have late birthdates and get picked high in the draft, when there is that possibility that maybe they should not have gone that high

Leon Draisaitl falls into this group. Now this does not mean that I think LD is a bust, I think he becomes a really good number 2 center once his skating and quickness improve, but I do have some reservations with that pick and I have mentioned this a few times going back to the spring of 2014, knowing that the oilers really liked his size and were probably going to pick him.

Here is the thing, LD missed the 2013 draft cutoff by 6 weeks. If eligible for the 2013 draft, where does a big center with some skating/quickness issues who got 0.9 pts/game go in the draft?

32. verdad2.0 says:

Respectfully, MacTavish , like Eakins, is only making things worse.
    Last niight just another painful example.

33. The Artist formerly known as "NYCOIL" says:

frjohnk,

He probably goes #7 to the Oilers, one pick behind Monahan.

34. Eastern Oil says:

WG has been the biggest critic of the lack of current roster depth, among many here at this fine blog. After hearing about NN I assumed that the Oilers would call up a depth Dman right away just in case there was an injury, etc..

When I saw that nothing happened I thought that maybe the Barons had a big week or something BUT THEY HAVEN’T PLAYED SINCE SATURDAY AND DO NOT PLAY UNTIL THIS SATURDAY!

I know this is a small thing in the grand scheme of our problems with the Oilers but small stuff like this seems to bug me. As WG and other have mentioned, what if someone was hurt game day or in warmup?

Just seems like a good opportunity to bring a guy like Davidson, MM, etc. for a week full of practices and as a 6/7 Dman. It’s not like NN is day to day, he’s gone for 4-6 weeks.

35. Eastern Oil says:

knighttown:
    And on Petry…I could also sort of understand the “Petry would be a #5 on a good team” argument since we never really had a direct comparable.But doesn’t Mark Fayne change that for everyone?He’s also 27 years old and gets paid about 4 million per year.

He’s, for the most part, been exactly what we thought he’d be.Maybe I’m a bit disappointed as I sort of hoped that I’d forgotten what a good defenseman looked like and that Fayne might shock me, but no, he’s a tough minutes guy with almost no offense.

What he isn’t is Jeff Petry.He’s not even remotely close is he?

He was miles ahead of Smid.He was miles ahead of Ference when he arrived.He was miles ahead of Fayne and Nikitin this year.The only way Petry is a #5 is if all of these guys are number 8’s.

You add the direct comparisons to the consistently good fancy stats and the incredible tool set of elite skating and excellent size and then you add in the “lefthanded pitcher” and the 27 year old aspects and you’ve got one hell of an asset.I’d do 5×6 million for this guy on THIS team.I might not do that on other teams but he would literally be the ideal target for the Oilers if he played somewhere else.

Edit: Looking on hockeyabstracts, Franson is facing tougher zone starts and comp this year but is posting tougher numbers. In past years though Petry has been in the tougher position.

36. MightyOil1 says:

verdad2.0,

I agree with you on the MacTavish front, but I don’t think painting everything with the same brush is the right approach.

Nuge is NOT in the same bucket as management.

37. MightyOil1 says:

Eastern Oil: On @Hope_Smoke’s twitter feed this morning it was mentioned that Franson could fetch a low 1st round pick. But, for the most part, all Petry is going to be able to fetch is a 3rd pick. I like Cody Franson at a reasonable price, I live in ON so I see more Leaf games then Oil games (both are terrible this year), but I can’t say that he is better than Petry.If a good team is able to get Petry cheap at the deadline and sign him on a good contract, then kudos to them and to him. He’s earned it.

Edmonton is who teams trade with to fill their roster out on the cheap.

38. Eastern Oil says:

Oilers recall Marty!??! Damnit my timing is perfect!

Edit: And WG’s after last night’s grades of course.

39. Ben says:

Marty McFly Marincin, Back from the Future! (And then traded for futures…)

40. Tire Fire says:

Eastern Oil:
    Oilers recall Marty!??!Damnit my timing is perfect!

Edit:And WG’s after last night’s grades of course.

Where is this announced? I see the (X) beside his name on the Barons page.

41. slopitch says:

So Crouse is somewhere between Landeskog and McIlrath. Funny you’d suggest the Rangers, you’d think they would have learned from taking McIlrath.

42. russ99 says:

Sorry, Mac T, your grand vision of all 6 defensmen being puck movers and making the perfect pass doesn’t work every night.

I suspect we’ll see a steady diet of this until we can prove we can break it.

43. frjohnk says:

LT,
    just listening to your show about that one guy texted and is abit upset about advanced stats and bloggers and guests on your show.

I really like the angle you have on your show. And I like your guests.

I see enough of the big guys on TV, its nice to have a different perspective.

Keep up the great work.

44. RMGS says:

Either swap assignments or swap Aulie with Klef.

He had 3 terrible choices available to him because Craig’s on it and picked the worst one imo.

Did I fix that right?

45. Oilanderp says:

The question about young Crowse we should be asking ourselves is, “Is he unflappable?”

Imagine a huge teenager looking good against small youngsters. This is not justification for a top 10 pick. Risk averse please. I am always of the mind that height and weight should be 95% ignored when drafting 17 and 18 year olds. We have little idea what they will be 3 years from now.

But then, if I followed my own advice I guess I wouldn’t have drafted Gainey. No offense.

*fires self*

46. G Money says:

russ99: I found it really interesting how the Pens shut us down last night, not choking the offensive entry area, but rather choking the defensive zone exit.

Oiler D zone exits have been a tragicomedy the entire season. Two seasons. Three seasons.

The inability of the Oilers to exit the zone even when they have clear possession of the puck is the #1 reason for the defensive tire fires that erupt with regularity.

It’s one thing to be hemmed in for a while. It’s another to have a shot at getting the puck out, failing to do it, and being hemmed in for another minute with a rapidly fatiguing group of skaters. Rinse and repeat.

That same inability to get the puck out hampers the ability of the forwards to carry the puck through the neutral zone with speed, which is one of the reasons why the Oilers often look slower than the other team.

Every failed d zone exit is like losing a four point game – it not only means shots/chances/goals given up, but it means shots/chances/goals forgone.

As embarrassing as this team can be, replacing their two worst defenders (right now, Ference and Aulie by a mile) with two capable NHL-quality defensemen with the ability to make a first pass would create a massive positive swing in both offense and defense.

Instead, we’re staring down the barrel of losing the one guy – Petry – who can consistently do that every night, and MacT’s record for signing or trading for defensemen is … not stellar.

So … looking out onto next years team … who’s the likely top pick in the ’16 draft? Mathews?

47. Halfwise says:

G Money: Oiler D zone exits have been a tragicomedy the entire season.Two seasons.Three seasons.

Completely agree. Turnovers at the blue line, followed by tire fire, panic icings, faceoff loss, D-zone penalty or faceoff at centre ice, rinse and repeat.

‘Hampers’, you say? “Hamsters” may morph into “Hampsters”

48. G Money says:

Halfwise: ‘Hampers’, you say? “Hamsters” may morph into “Hampsters”

Good catch!

Corrected version here:

That same inability to get the puck out hampsters the ability of the forwards to carry the puck through the neutral zone with speed, which is one of the reasons why the Oilers often look like hamsters.

49. Auston Matthews '16 says:

Does this sum up last night’s corgis?

50. Halfwise says:

G Money: Good catch!

Corrected version here:

This team is hampstered by its collective decision making, on and off the ice.

51. T0ML says:

For those asking about confirmation of MM’s recall

It is official now.

52. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Lowetide: I’m going to run the top 10 in that year’s draft with their boxcars and you’ll know instantly what stood out for me on that day in 1973.

3 Bobs in a row?

I mean, that’s just outstanding.

53. verdad2.0 says:

After months wasted playing Nikitin and Ference , MacTavish finally accedes to recalling Marincin.
    We all know that the only reason these bumblers were played as to allow MacTavish to save face.
    The team has never dressed in best line of defensemen all year. Bizarre.
    Even worse its best defense will so be traded for nothing.
    And all of that justifies MacTavish remaining as GM?
    What is there not to agree with his immediate dismissal?

Halfwise: This team is hampstered by its collective decision making, on and off the ice.

I peed. Jesus that’s funny.

55. Halfwise says:

Lowetide: I peed. Jesus that’s funny.

*blushes*