HAVE YOU GOT THIS?

In what was a most enjoyable evening at Rexall, Edmonton Oilers fans got to see a terrific power play and another wave of Oklahoma City youngsters helping the team to victory. Todd Nelson? 10-10-3. Todd Nelson? Can’t be stopped. Todd Nelson, won’t be skyped!

Ryan Rishaug is a very credible source and this is very good news! If the Oilers made a serious offer it has to start with a 5 based on what we’re seeing these blue go for leading up to this free-agent season. A RH side of Petry, Schultz and Fayne for next season is a far stronger trio than w/o Petry. The young man’s possession stats are slightly below 50% now, but he’s 55.3% Corsi for 5×5 without the captain and 46.3% with him. With Klefbom? 53.2%.

Marincin is just past 60 games in his NHL career and is about 50% Corsi for 5×5 this season. The rangy defender is absolutely the redheaded stepchild in the Oilers prospect arsenal on defense. I don’t see him here in a year, have seen this movie before and it always ends with an airport goodbye and a new frontier for the player. The one thing that makes me think he could stay? Todd Nelson. He seems to have been heaven sent and bound to turn these Barons into Oilers. Marincin has a ways to go before getting back to last year but last night’s fun should help his confidence.

Of course! Why not? The injury means nothing if they sign Petry but an injured blue isn’t going to have value at the deadline. Last night could be very expensive for Edmonton if Petry turns them down. We wait. As for Lander, I think he’s shown enough this season (22gp, 4-7-11 and fine two-way play) to be a legit member of the 2015-16 team. Score one for the MacGregor drafts.

PPG NAME (LEAGUE) GP G A PTS
.906 LEON DRAISAITL 2012-13 WHL 64 21 37 58
1.64 LEON DRAISAITL 2013-14 WHL 64 38 67 105
1.67 LEON DRAISAITL 2014-15 WHL 18 9 21 30

Much concern early about Leon in Kelowna but he has now matched last season’s numbers and of course there’s plenty of blacktop ahead. I do think we might be looking at some time in the AHL for him in 2015-16, with Roy making such a difference and Lander emerging. Slow-playing his development is fine by me, he’s going to be a quality player when he gets here. I think the Oilers should be the same for Nurse (AHL next year) and send Dylan Strome back to junior. Let Todd Nelson have a full season with his Barons’ men at the NHL level. Would you be okay with Nuge, Roy, Lander, Gordon next season at center?

OILERS LAST 10 GAMES, SCORING

20. Matt Fraser 7gp, 0-0-0
  21. Martin Marincin 6gp, 0-0-0
  22. Keith Aulie 4gp, 0-0-0
  23. Ben Scrivens 3gp, 2.63 .909
  24. Viktor Fasth 7gp, 3.71 .883
  25. Richard Bachman 1gp, 6.15 .852

Eberle doesn’t get enough credit, he’s the best offensive player on the team during the Hall-less run and proves it every week. Nail is having a nice run here, keep it up young man! He had a wobbly bit with his leg last night, not sure what it was but he came back and skated miles. Nuge seems to be finding the range on 5×4 again that’ll spike the boxcars. There are six Barons in that lineup, five of them making significant contributions to the Oilers 10-10-3 record under their coach. A nice rainbow in a season of rain.

wt2

LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE

A packed show this morning! 10am on TSN1260. Scheduled to appear:

• Dennis King, Oilogosphere Icon. We’ll talk Jeff Petry’s contract, the cost of ‘tearing it down’ for an NHL franchise.
  • Rob Vollman, ESPN. We’ll talk about Jeff Petry’s value compared to other free-agent defensemen.
  • Scott Cullen, TSN. Scott will pop in and talk about tough decisions in Boston, Los Angeles and Toronto.
  • Kirk Luedeke, Red Line Report. The Bruins issue, plus lots of 2015 draft talk.

10-1260 text, @Lowetide_ on twitter. Stay tuned!

157 Responses to "HAVE YOU GOT THIS?"

1. Rondo says:

Speaking of Red Line Report

They think Oilers if they were in the #3 spot , Hanifin would be the right choice pick by far

2. Hall Awaits says:

“Todd Nelson? Can’t be stopped. Todd Nelson, won’t be skyped!”

That’s an incredibly amusing line! Here’s hoping the Oilers realize what they have in Petry and sign the man! Here’s to a fast recovery for both Peaches and the Pirate.

Hall Awaits:
    “Todd Nelson? Can’t be stopped. Todd Nelson, won’t be skyped!”

4. Ducey says:

Would you be okay with Nuge, Roy, Lander, Gordon next season at center?

No. I’d be ok with all of them on the team, but they need another center.

Trade Roy at the deadline, re-sign him in the summer. Bring in another C who can play #2 C. Send Leon to the AHL to develop with Ewanyk, Jar Jar, Chase, Roy, Platzer, and Yak2.

All of a sudden the Oilers might have some depth at C.

5. Snowman says:

Ducey,

I stated this last night’s thread too. The risk in trading Roy at the deadline is you probably lose Yak in the wilderness again for the rest of the year and also you have nobody to take his place. Especially with Lander hurting. There are literally no other centers available capable of playing in the NHL in the organization right now. So you play the rest of the season with Nuge-Hendricks-Gordon-??? at center?

If Lander is gone for any length of time, you need Roy. If Lander is ok, in my mind you still need Roy.

6. Clay says:

“Would you be okay with Nuge, Roy, Lander, Gordon next season at center?”

If Roy can be had for around the same salary as he’s making this year, that would be a steal, no? Just for the relationship and mentor role he’s developed with Yak alone. A 0.5ppg center for $1MM? Yes please.

As a group, that C lineup doesn’t scream “PLAYOFFS!!!” to me, though.

A C group of RNH, Draisaitl, Strome, Lander in a few years? That gets me all misty.

7. BrazilianOil says:

Ducey,

Agreed. My choise would be Sobotka ( anybody knows if he returns he has a salary conmited or if he needs another contract?) and i would like to bring Horak back too.

Hall- RNH-Eberle
    Pouliot-Roy-Yak
    Horak-Sobotka-Lander
    Hendricks-Gordon-Hammer

8. The Artist formerly known as "NYCOIL" says:

This is the best stretch of hockey I’ve ever seen from Eberle. His hands in close with all the scoring before overshadowed his playmaking abilities. He is one hell of a passer. Music!

Would I be ok with Nuge-Roy-Lander-Gordon next year? No. I’d add one more.

Nuge-Roy-Sobotka/Soderberg-Lander-Gordon. We all know someone will get injured. We can slide one of those guys over to wing when everyone is healthy, and possibly have TWO centres out on each PK> Imagine running something Like Nuge/Sobotka and Gordon/Lander as our two PK options!?

WOW
    More music.

Edit- Ducey beat me to it. So did Brazil Oil

But I think Sobotka would be a godsend for this team.

EDM Dmen CF% vs BOS:

Marincin 56%
    Petry 53%
    Fayne 39%
    Ference 33%
    Klef 33%
    Jultz 32%

Guess which two aren’t in MacT’s plans next year?

Nelson didn’t shelter Klef-Schultz last night and it shows.

Here’s Schultz CF% against his opponents sorted by TOI against (most TOI against at top)

Dennis Seidenberg 17.65
    Dougie Hamilton 40
    Matt Bartkowski 25
    Zdeno Chara 44.44
    David Krejci 0 (note: yes that’s a 0 for 12 against. Lordy)
    Brad Marchand 35
    Gregory Campbell 66.67
    Craig Cunningham 60
    Daniel Paille 50

Welcome to next year.

10. Snowman says:

Clay,

It absolutely doesn’t scream “PLAYOFFS”, but it doesn’t scream “LOTTERY” either which would be nice.

11. stephen sheps says:

The Artist formerly known as "NYCOIL":

Would I be ok with Nuge-Roy-Lander-Gordon next year? No. I’d add one more.

But sign Roy. Don’t trade Roy with a “handshake that he will come back in the offseason.” What is more valuable to this team, an actual NHL C who likes playing with Yak or a 4th round pick? Bird in hand and all that…

12. The Artist formerly known as "NYCOIL" says:

stephen sheps: This – all day long. I’d be totally fine with all listed above or even a hugely discounted (read: bought out and signed for cheap) Mike Richards. The only thing better than 4 NHL calibre C’s is 5.

Derek Roy, “The Yak Whisperer”

13. Магия 10 says:

Lowetide: I tried to find the poster who said it, someone here in the last few days. Great line, agreed.

C’est Moi. There is no end to must not / can not riffs and Ben had brought up the Skype meme.

Магия 10: Nelson cannot be Skyped

Nelson non delenda est

14. stephen sheps says:

The Artist formerly known as “NYCOIL”,

Even the Oilers media people have realized this chemistry experiment is working.

also, “Yak Whisperer”? Love it.

15. Магия 10 says:

stephen sheps:
    The Artist formerly known as “NYCOIL”,

also, “Yak Whisperer”? Love it.

16. SoCaloil says:

“A nice rainbow in a season of rain.”……….what a great line!

I don’t understand how anybody can still think Eakins was not the issue with this team.
    Just look at Yak. Under Eakins he would enter the zone, take one shot on goal and be forced to change.
    Nelson has been talking to him, and letting him unleash his one timer.

As far as the trade deadline is concerned, if Ference can lift his no trade clause I’d move him and even retain some salary. If Petry doesn’t sign, then you have to. Other than that…you stay put. I agree you retain Roy just for the sake of Yak getting his mojo back.

I could see Marincin + 2nd + Usefull NHLer for Seabrook in the off season.

17. Doug McLachlan says:

LT, on the question of MacT’s center plan to start the season, am I wrong to conclude now that serious efforts were made to get one of (or both) Mathieu Perreault and Olli Jokinen with both signing on with WPG and NSH respectively.

I recall earlier this season hearing that Edmonton’s pitch to Perreault was “competitive” and the recent start of the Jokinen-era in the Big Smoke has had several stories about how the Oilers offered the most FA $ to Jokinen, but that he and his wife were looking for playoff-potential/warmer winters.

You and I were pretty disappointed that Leon was fed to the wolves to start the season but are we sure, at this point, that MacT didn’t make the best effort to fill that gap and was simply rebuffed?

How much of an overpay would we have been pleased with since the top $ seems not to have been enough?

18. kinger_OIL says:

LT – You’d have been a great Broker: especially in down markets. Your optimism is commendable. If you were a broker, rather then an OIL blogger, your message to clients wouldn’t be:”well the market has tanked for the last 5 years, and your portfolio has been decimated”, it would be:”Great news, over the last few weeks, so many of your stocks are up more than 10% each. In a few years, if this continues, you are going to be rich!”. I’m not disparaging you, rather admiring the selective use of data, in order to make everyone on this blog feel better about our beloved OIL. Well done sir! Now about the price of Oil: which way is it going?

19. stephen sheps says:

Магия 10: I draw the line at giving the nod to the worst goalie each night when tanking. Returning to binder twine at centre goes too far.

20. Ducey says:

Snowman:
    Ducey,

The rest of the year is 23 games (probably 20 by the deadline).

I’d rather have a 4th round pick in a deep draft than worry about what happens to Yak for the rest of a terrible season.

Trade Roy.
    Elevate Yak to the first line for the rest of the season.
    If Yak doesn’t continue his hot streak, you save some money on his next contract AND continue the tank battle with TOR, CAR and ARI.

21. Hammers says:

Most as do I think we should keep the 4 “C” but add 1 more and that’s not this years pick or Leon . As I said the other day re LT’s list of core players I add both Leon & Nurse but not until 2nd half next year or the following year . I would get Leon on the wing at some point just as I had hoped for this year . Would Petry take $5 mill X4 or at most $21 mill . What will both Roy ( $ 2 X2 ) and . Lander ( $1.5 X3 or maybe $ 5 mill ) cost . Our team needs to start thinking about next years cap .If we get a goalie and loose Fasth add another $2 mill . If he does sign Marincin ( $2 X 2 ) I just added between $ 5-6 mill . Buy out Nikitin and whats left goes to Yak & Schultz . We have no money left ????? This isn’t as easy as people think .

22. Jesse says:

I’m not sold on Roy, I think he just looks good compared to Drai and Arco (specifically regarding the latter’s finishing ability). And I don’t think that Yak needs Roy, I just think that Yak needs a vet centre on his line. He soared with Horcoff, struggled with Gagner, struggled with Draisaitl, struggled with Arco, not exactly done well when he’s on the Nuge’s line, and done well with Roy. Is Roy better than Nuge? Of course not, but perhaps he can articulate the game better to yak than Nuge can. Or maybe RNH doesn’t feel like he has the authority to be a “teacher type” to yakupov, considering he’s only 1 draft class ahead. The solution (imo) is not “Roy and only Roy”, it’s “find a vet centre who can mentor Yak”. Now, that’s obviously easier said than done, but I worry about Roy as the 2C next year.

Roy’s IPP in 14-15: 72%

Previous three seasons:

69.0
    69.6
    60.9

Also, his corsi is no screaming hell at 48.8%.

I guess he could be part of a soft-minutes 2nd line with yak and someone else (Pouliot/Hall), but it feels like this is planning for best-case scenario. If any injuries occur, Roy will get caved in playing above his head. Also: he’s 31.

It might be that I’ve got rose-coloured glasses on with Yak, but I don’t think he needs a Yak Whisperer. I just think he needs a capable vet C.

23. The Artist formerly known as "NYCOIL" says:

kinger_OIL,

Continues to make higher lows. Said it last week, I think, but buy on dips below $50 if you are a nimble, short-term trader.

That worked out beautifully this morning where oil was trading down towards $49 and then squeezed higher after the DoE in the US’s inventory number came out at 7mm barrels instead of 9mm increase. Now $51.50 (Sammy Hagar’s first Van Halen album) last.

If you are nimble, buying below $50, selling on approach to $56 works, although $53 has been really heavy.

I still believe we are witnessing the relief rally here and have been playing it as such (buy below $50, sell at $53). There’s a bunch of technical resistance at $53, $56, and $66. I don’t see it going much beyond $60 before going back down for a re-test of the lows.

If I were a long term investor type, I’d wait until the coast is clear, even if I miss the first ten bucks off the bottom, I’d rather be sure before I put my piggy bank money in.

24. Hammers says:

Doug McLachlan:

25. SkatinginSand says:

If Roy is willing to sign a reasonable one year deal, why would you risk Yak’s very fragile development? If any of the young guys are ready for the show, let them play wing for a while. It won’t hurt their development. Centre depth, a concept foreign to the Oilers, is not a bad thing.

On another note, after the Flames overtime update, Randorf screamed, “And the Flames do it again!” I had to rewind the PVR to make sure that I had seen things correctly. Is a lobotomy a requirement to go on air at Rogers?

26. Unicorns says:

Roy has been a nice surprise for sure. But for Yak is it Roy, or is it playing with a proper experienced centre, like how Yak was fine with Horcoff? They should upgrade Roy if possible, and definitely wait till after the draft and see what shakes out this summer. Roy will be around or someone like him, cap crunch coming. But they need 5 NHL C for sure if they want to be good.

27. dawgtoy says:

OilersNation ‏@OilersNation 2m2 minutes ago
    I would re-sign Roy on a short term deal for this quote alone. -bm #YakCityRising

28. Snowman says:

Ducey,

A fourth rounder is basically nothing. Chances of a fourth rounder being a good pick is approximately zero even in a deep draft.

I’d rather have a confident Yak and a fourth overall pick than a depressed Yak and a third overall pick.

29. Clay says:

Snowman:
    Clay,

Babysteps are better than no steps I guess.

Except that MacT has been trying to produce babysteps for two years, and has instead gotten baby-in-one-of-those-banned-walkers-tumbling-down-the-basement-stairs.

I’d like to see them aim higher. I’d like a winning Lottomax ticket and an Irish Wolfhound as well, but I’m likely to see only one of these three things in my lifetime.

30. kinger_OIL says:

The Artist formerly known as “NYCOIL”,

You trade the USO, or OIL ETF, or individual stocks? I still think there is a capitulation trade on Oil, but less convinced of that now…Buffet of course bought Suncor, but I agree with your view for the long-term

31. The Artist formerly known as "NYCOIL" says:

dawgtoy:
    OilersNation ‏@OilersNation2m2 minutes ago

He is the Yak Whisperer

Keep the man. He shouldn’t cost a ton, and yes, his corsi is no screaming hell, but he’s not going to cost a lot and the value comes in his unlocking Yak’s true potential. Add one more stronger centre: Sobotka or Soderberg and we’re cooking.

32. McSorley33 says:

A cynic might question the timing of the ‘offer’ to Petry at this stage….I hope I am wrong.

Really hoping this mid February offer is not a PR move to save face…

Oh no, we tried to sign Jeff…..

33. Магия 10 says:

stephen sheps: I have absolutely no idea what you’re talking about. But I laughed, so that’s something I suppose.

Reference to the knack the Oilers had in the lottery stretch of playing the colder of Re-Khabbi or Doobie any given night. Also to Arizona-s tank-tastic trading away Dubnyk when he was winning more than Smith.

34. Snowman says:

Clay: Babysteps are better than no steps I guess.

I’d like to see them aim higher.I’d like a winning Lottomax ticket and an Irish Wolfhound as well, but I’m likely to see only one of these three things in my lifetime.

You’ve got a lottomax ticket?!?!

LOL at the walker bit. That’s good stuff right there.

35. Магия 10 says:

Hammers: Especially now we here player agents list of where players don’t want to go Edmonton , Winnipeg ,Buffalo , Ottawa and even Toronto .

Buffalo is the honorary Canadian team. Must be all the fans from Hamilton those players want to escape.

36. Auston Matthews '16 says:

“I looked at Marty and said, ‘Have you got this?’ He looked at me, really calm and cool and he goes, ‘Yes, I do.’”

That is so hilariously ironic.

You got it?

Yes I do.

Then he loses it,

But he gets it.

37. Snowman says:

Unicorns,

Yes you don’t know if it is Roy or just a veteran center. There is value in Roy though. He’s a guy who was waived, who you can get for cheap most likely, who plays well with Yak, who is a veteran C, who is productive.

That’s a lot of checked boxed in my list of good contracts. Definitely add more. But he can certainly be a value contract if he keeps the chemistry with Yak.

38. Lucinius says:

Jesse:

Arcobello didn’t struggle that much in finishing plays, he struggled in helping create plays (although, to be fair.. his line-mates were sucking eggs — and I recall more than a few whiffs on passes from Arco).

Now, Roy is the better center (at least this season) for the Edmonton Oilers.

Personally, I would re-sign Roy if you can get him for 1.5 mil for 1 or 2 years (if not cheaper). Then, I would try to sign another center in the off-season and have center depth like;

1st Line: RNH
    2nd Line: Roy/UFA/Strome
    Soft Opp Line: UFA/Strome/Lander/Draisatl
    Checking Line: Gordon/Lander/UFA

If all are healthy, then move some to wing and sit players like Gazdic/Fraser. When the inevitable bubonic plague hits.. you have actual depth to absorb short term injuries to RNH or Gordon, and longer term injuries to the others. I would also consider Draisatl in the AHL and Strome in Junior.

I just used Strome as the draft example.. if we get Hanifin or a winger (meh), that’s fine as you still have good depth with Roy and the UFA signing kicking around and Lander hopefully still in Super-Swede mode.

39. bendelson says:

Auston Matthews ’16:

That is so hilariously ironic.

You got it?

Yes I do.

Then he loses it,

But he gets it.

I also enjoyed Nelson’s account of scanning the bench and eventually asking Gordon if “he has a move”.

Apparently the answer was a confident “No”.

40. Numenius says:

Doug McLachlan:

Excellent points.

The criticism of McT for not addressing 2C at the beginning of the year really does seem to have been excessive.

41. Numenius says:

Woodguy: EDM Dmen CF% vs BOS:

Marincin 56%
    Petry 53%
    Fayne 39%
    Ference 33%
    Klef 33%
    Jultz 32%

Guess which two aren’t in MacT’s plans next year?

I hope Dellow keeps emailing this to McT every day until McT signs them both.

42. Ca$h-Money! says:

Can we please learn our damn lesson here? It’s hard to trade for good C help. It’s very difficult for us to attract free agents.

If Roy will stay for 1 or 1.2 he is worth it. We can always send him down and eat a very minor cap penalty in the unlikely event we have 14 better forward options.

43. The Artist formerly known as "NYCOIL" says:

kinger_OIL,

I trade XLE, XOP, USO, and individual stocks, but I’m not really trading the individual stocks in the energy patch because of too much event risk (like Cenovus coming to market with their secondary offering yesterday and crushing the share price). In terms of nimble trading here, not talking long-term investment views, I’m trading around the ETFs.

I don’t disagree with your capitulation call in theory, but I mentioned this in January. No one was able to call the March 2009 low. No one knew that that was in fact the low when the market started bouncing. So, I try to make it a policy to not pick or call bottoms. (What do you get when you pick bottoms? Stinky fingers). It’s too hard to do. I’d rather buy once a turn is in place and the fundamentals improve and miss out on the first 10~20% of a real, longer term rally than stick my hands in towards a falling knife and lose my fingers (this is what 99% of financial advisors have been doing, with their dollar cost averaging on the way down while having very high equity allocations and very low cash levels). They probably bought your BTE @ $40, and then more at $35, and your average is $38, and they’re cutting now @ $20. That’s what these yo-yos are doing for the most part.

Now, the chart set-up still leaves room for the final leg of a 5-wave Elliott Wave sell-off. What we are seeing now is a flag forming here, with $54 as a cap and higher lows coming each time below $50. The next dip may not even breach $50, but it’s a nice, tradable short-term pattern, with very clear, tight stop losses so if you are nimble, it’s been an ok stretch for two weeks to be trading and taking 3~4% here and there.

So, to summarize:
    1) Don’t try to pick bottoms or else you’ll get sticky fingers.
    2) Relief rally that we thought would happen at $45 has happened, but is still on-going.
    3) It looks like this relief rally should see resistance at $53 (which it is), $56, and $66. I don’t think it goes as far as $66, probably no further than $60 would be my guess.
    4) The next phase after the relief rally should be a re-test of the lows. The technical indicators would suggest we will in fact see NEW lows below $45 as the third and final down leg of a 5 wave set-up. (Fall 1 is done, followed by relief rally A, fall 2 is done (the biggest fall), now we are seeing relief rally B, next to come is fall 3).
    5) Technical picture aside, charting is not 100% foolproof or else we’d all be rich and retired. No one called the financial crisis low in March 2009 so it IS POSSIBLE that we’ve already seen the lows. But the charts don’t say that.
    6) If you are investing on a long-term time horizon, I would caution against piling in here just because it looks calmer during this relief rally. It is entirely possible we will see fresh lows and you will be stopped out. I’d rather buy when I am confident the fundamental picture has changed. If I’m looking at individual Canadian energy stocks, I would not buy until all these dilutive deals are finished. It’s so easy to step on a landmine at the moment that I can’t recommend anyone to be involved unless you are very knowledgeable and have a very high risk tolerance.

44. vinotintazo says:

Lucinius,

I would say Roy still has better finish than arco, Roy has a better trackrecord. IMO.

Roy career SH% 11.9 ( 715 NHL games)
    Arco career SH% 9.7 ( 95 NHL games)

45. jimmers2 says:

Numenius,

FWI, Grabovski had been available on waivers the previous spring, and the crisis at centre was as apparent then as it is now. His was a 5.5 M cap hit as I recall. That is hefty for sure but Nkitin’s is 4.5M. Who would you rather have now?

46. The Artist formerly known as "NYCOIL" says:

jimmers2,

I believe there was an interview where he admitted he should have grabbed Grabovski. It was on video somewhere.

He had just signed Gagner though so that was the choice, I guess.

47. Pouzar says:

Just scanned the comments but are we really debating re-signing Roy?
    The rallying cry for Yak for 2 years was “when he plays with a veteran center…” and when he finally
    does instant offense.

Re-signing Roy is a no brainer. Finding another center is a no-brainer. Comparing Arco to Roy is silly imo. Roy is no longer a #1C but he was at one time and still better than Arco right now.

48. Auston Matthews '16 says:

Pouzar,

Additionally, Roy seems like the type of player who would be a good addition to the coaching/development staff.

Edit: I meant after he’s finished his playing days.

49. Auston Matthews '16 says:

Interesting piece on Doobie:

Dubnyk adjusted how he works on tracking the puck, a change which puts him on the cutting edge of a new tool some believe will be the biggest thing for goaltending since the butterfly.

The technique is called Head Trajectory and Dubnyk discovered it while working with former NHL goalie and current MSG Network analyst Stephen Valiquette for one week at Andy O’Brien’s star-laden NHL fitness camp in Vail, Colorado, just before the opening of training camps.

50. jimmers2 says:

The Artist formerly known as “NYCOIL”,

I wasn’t aware of that interview so thanks. I don’t mean to suggest that I think that MacT has had the advantage of good cards to play in this situation. I don’t think that this really the case, witness the reports of real NHL players turning down better offers to play in other situations and the difficulty of trading the Oiler’s expendable assists (ha!). Some of these problems are out of his control at least until there is some winning and stability going on in Edmonton. But he has missed opportunities handed freely to him to bring in real NHL players, with established records and predictable performance. Gagner is a bit of a tragedy, one would have hoped for more from the last contract. Another real centre would have helped there, taking the heat off of both Gagner and Gordon. One can see the impact that having Roy and Lander makes now, even putting aside the glitzy recent scoring. Even if Roy looks too good (vis a vis the fancy stats), Lander is giving effective minutes as a 2 way centre that they haven’t had since, well I can’t remember when.

51. Pouzar says:

Auston Matthews '16:
    Pouzar,

Edit: I meant after he’s finished his playing days.

Roy really caught my eye in WPG…he made some really nice back checks and was constantly talking on the bench. Last year I was right behind the Oiler bench and I’ve seen more chatter at a wake.

52. Numenius says:

jimmers2:
    Numenius,

FWI, Grabovski had been available on waivers the previous spring, and the crisis at centre was as apparent then as it is now. His was a 5.5 M cap hit as I recall.That is hefty for sure but Nkitin’s is 4.5M.Who would you rather have now?

I think passing on Grabovski was justifiable, though I don’t know enough about the player to be sure. It’s important to remember that he had a high cap hit AND a long contract, and the long contract in particular could have been problematic down the road. There were also concerns about personal issues and how he might mesh with a young, impressionable group (esp. Yak), and I think that’s not something one should immediately discount without knowing more.

Also important to note is that there seems to be a gentleman’s agreement not to grab (no pun intended!) someone off of waivers who’s getting bought out. I’m not sure why this is or even if it really is a thing, but it could be because you risk pissing the player off (because he might not want to go to your team and because you’re potentially lowering his future salary).

Yes, the Nikitin deal was a bad one, but, first, McT didn’t know the cap wouldn’t go up as much at the time of signing, second, it was only a short term risk, and third, we don’t know how much Eakins negatively affected Nikitin’s play (as Eakins tended to do with Russians). Stauffer was saying 2 days ago that Nikitin showed signs of playing much better under Nelson.

No, I don’t think McT has been or is perfect (hiring Eakins was his worst move imo), but I think much of the criticism is excessive.

53. The Artist formerly known as "NYCOIL" says:

Numenius,

Personal issues? With Grabovski? Are you sure you’re not mixing him up with fellow Belorussians the Kostitsyns? Maybe I’ve missed it, but never heard of Grabo being a problem off the rink.

54. jimmers2 says:

Numenius,

I do recall that there was lots of doubt as to Grabovski’s value with that contract, at the time he was waived. My grumble is based 100% on the objectivity of hindsight!

A few other birds in hand, or within reach at least, have been passed over. At the other end of the line up, Roman Horak flew the coop. He looked like he might be a useful and cheap bottom 6 centre. Perhaps he really wanted to leave or insisted on never returning to the AHL, but the Oilers might have been able to make it more interesting to stay. They needed someone like him and still do.

55. RexLibris says:

Per TSN: More names for the D market?

Sam Carchidi of The Philadelphia Inquirer tweeted on Wednesday that the signing of defenceman Nick Schultz to a two-year contract, “increases the likelihood of the Flyers dealing (Braydon) Coburn and/or (Niklas) Grossmann.”

I’d be content to add Coburn to replace Ference or Nikitin should the Oilers re-sign Petry.

He has one year remaining on his contract with a $4.5 cap hit.

56. The Artist formerly known as "NYCOIL" says:

Couldn’t find the video, but did find a quote where MacT talks about Grabovski

57. The Artist formerly known as "NYCOIL" says:

The Artist formerly known as “NYCOIL”:
    Couldn’t find the video, but did find a quote where MacT talks about Grabovski

Man, reading that interview now:

MacTavish hoped to snag one of those value-type players for his blueline.

“There are a few of those (who are) puck-moving defencemen, I think. And Nikitin certainly fits into that category (as a puck-moving defenceman).”

Fail, MacT. Fail.

I believe in the original video someone asked him about a guy like Stralman being potentially this year’s Grabovski and this was his response. Anyone else recall this?

58. Pouzar says:

Man this line from LT screams at me:

“The young man’s possession stats are slightly below 50% now, but he’s 55.3% Corsi for 5×5 without the captain and 46.3% with him.”

59. Clay says:

Snowman: You’ve got a lottomax ticket?!?!

LOL at the walker bit. That’s good stuff right there.

Boy that would be nice.

How does that saying go?

“Sometimes, all you need is 50 million dollars.”

60. Auston Matthews '16 says:

Most Shootout Attempts to Score 1st Goal:

2006-07 Rangers def. Flyers 26

2014-15 Oilers def. Bruins 24

2007-08 Capitals def. Oilers 23

61. The Artist formerly known as "NYCOIL" says:

Auston Matthews ’16:
    Most Shootout Attempts to Score 1st Goal:

2006-07 Rangers def. Flyers 26

2014-15 Oilers def. Bruins 24

2007-08 Capitals def. Oilers 23

Was the first one the Marek Malik between the legs one?

I tuned in just in time for that shootout

62. Jon K says:

Numenius,

As far as I can tell, there’s never been any suggestion of personal issues with Grabo.

He didn’t want to play in the west, but no personal issues.

63. Jon K says:

Pouzar:
    Just scanned the comments but are we really debating re-signing Roy?
    does instant offense.

I agree. What’s the downside to signing Roy to a 1-year deal less than $2.0? No one wanted him on waivers and he’s a low cap hit. One would think he’d take any reasonable but low offer from the Oilers.

If it turns out there’s no space for him down the road, move him to wing, put him on waivers, or send him to OKC.

No brainer from where I stand as well.

Will it happen? I’m skeptical.

64. Auston Matthews '16 says:

The Artist formerly known as “NYCOIL”: Was the first one the Marek Malik between the legs one?

I tuned in just in time for that shootout

From this vid, other goals were scored in that shootout:

65. Auston Matthews '16 says:

Jon K:
    Numenius,

He didn’t want to play in the west, but no personal issues.

other than being a westophobe…

66. Jon K says:

Ducey: The rest of the year is 23 games (probably 20 by the deadline).

Trade Roy.
    Elevate Yak to the first line for the rest of the season.

To me that’s worth more than a player with a 15% chance to get to 100 NHL games.

67. The Artist formerly known as "NYCOIL" says:

Auston Matthews ’16,

Can’t look now as I’m at work. By “first one” I meant the first on your list, not first goal scored. Was that goal from that shootout? I think there were others scored in that one, yes.

68. meanashell11 says:

The Artist formerly known as “NYCOIL”:
    kinger_OIL,

So, to summarize:
    1) Don’t try to pick bottoms or else you’ll get sticky fingers.

Love your disclaimer at the end! ; )

Does anyone actually trade on charts anymore? Black swans anyone!

69. Auston Matthews '16 says:

The Artist formerly known as “NYCOIL”,

Sorry, what I meant by that was there were other goals scored before Malik clinched it with his beauty.

My original comment was about most shootout attempts where only one goal was scored, so that wasn’t the Malik game.

70. The Artist formerly known as "NYCOIL" says:

meanashell11: Love your disclaimer at the end! ; )

Does anyone actually trade on charts anymore? Black swans anyone!

The disclaimer has always been there. I make clear what is my short-term trading view and my longer term view.

Yes, I trade on charts and it has served me very well over 15 years doing it. They’re never the only tool I use. I’m sure it’s not unlike hockey analytics. Why wouldn’t you use every tool at your disposal, especially one that is so widely followed that it has a self-fulfilling prophecy mechanism to it (market psychology).

This is why I won’t get into telling you what individual securities to buy or sell. There’s zero upside for either of us for me to do this.

EDIT- OH AND I AM AN IDIOT. Ha ha. Forgot about our discussion about disclaimers in the last thread already.

71. The Artist formerly known as "NYCOIL" says:

Auston Matthews ’16,

Ah, gotcha. Thanks. Couldn’t remember but it had to be an epic long shootout for Marek Malik to be in it.

72. DBO says:

Get real players, keep real players. And go for this weird thing called balance.

Pouliot-Nuge-Eberle
    Hall-Roy-Yak
    Purcell-Lander-Pakarinen
    Klink-Gordon-Hendricks

This has balance, size, skill and some two way players. Fix D and Goalie and we have a shot at playoffs.

73. Jesse says:

Lucinius: And the mis-conception that Arcobello can’t finish continues. Roy finishes better than Arcobello? You do realize one of the two has more goals than the other and it isn’t Roy, right? Arcobello has scored 10 goals; Roy has scored 6.

You don’t think him shooting 12.5% this year has something to do with that?

74. The Artist formerly known as "NYCOIL" says:

DBO:

Pouliot-Nuge-Eberle
    Hall-Roy-Yak
    Lander-Sobotka-Pakarinen
    Klink-Gordon-Hendricks

I like this better with Lander sliding over and filling in for any C with an injury.

As you say, though. The D and G need a lot of work.

Hjalmarsson-Petry
    Klef-Schultz
    Marincin-Coburn

Would be solid. One can dream.

75. DBO says:

The Artist formerly known as “NYCOIL”,

Yeah but no team can add two good real dmen, a starting goalie and a solid two way centre in one off season.

wait…… Garth Snow did it? WTF.

76. Jesse says:

I’m not against Roy being re-signed on the cheap, but I am against the Oilers re-signing him and not taking any other action to further address centre (which seems like a very Oilers thing to do). Roy was waived this year, his p/60 for the last four years averages at 1.63, roughly a 2/3 C, and he’s getting older every day. Who’s going to play 2C? Anton Lander? It seems early to crown him the next Shawn Horcoff, as much as I would love for him to be (and as much as I believe that it’s not entirely unrealistic to dream for that to happen someday). If Roy could play wing even, and sub in at C when injuries occur, then I’d be a bit more content. But going into next year with the same crop of centres is a bad idea for a 29th place team.

77. Jesse says:

It really feels like it’s been years since the Oilers didn’t need to add at least two huge additions on D before they could consider contending for the playoffs. Sigh.

78. vinotintazo says:

Jesse,

Soderberg seems like a good bet, not much of a scorer, but is 2nd in Bruins points

79. hoser313 says:

vinotintazo,

In his time with the Oilers, I think Arco rang a lot of shots of the glass from in close where he should have hit the net.

Not a statistical argument, just an observation from having the misfortune of watching a lot of Oiler games over the last couple years.

Lots of other good points to his game though.

I agree Roy is better.

80. The Artist formerly known as "NYCOIL" says:

vinotintazo:
    Jesse,

Been banging the drum on him a while. Trade a conditional pick to Boston for his rights in June.

Thing is, Sobotka will come with a cheaper salary if we can trade for him. If that doesn’t work, I’d be all over Chiarelli to get first dibs on trying to reach a deal with Carl.

81. hoser313 says:

It makes me sad to write this but starting a season with Nuge, Roy, Lander, Gordon would be the best opening night centre depth the team has had in years.

Make Drai and Yakimov earn their places at the table.

No more gifting roster spots to young players.

82. Ducey says:

Jon K: It depends on how much you value even a possibility of jump starting a first overall pick’s development.

Sure. Its a good point, but Roy has 12 pts in 25 games as an Oiler. That’s some small sample size. He has been allowed to go to free agency by the Canucks and Blues. He was on waivers in December.

Yak has been hot for what, 6 – 10 games?

This Yak Whispering nonsense is more likely to sputter out in a few games than it is to continue. I am sorry but I don’t believe Yak is going to score a point a game for the rest of the season. If I am right, everyone will be bitching that MacT didn’t get anything for Roy.

I have no problem if the Oilers sign Roy this offseason for depth, but a brief uptick in play shouldn’t obscure the fact Roy is a small (5’9″) C who will be 32 next year and has been on the decline for some time.

Trade him now and get someone better in the offseason.

83. hoser313 says:

Jesse:

It has. In my view this is by far the biggest roster hole on the team and contributes big time to making every Oiler goalie of recent history look terrible.

84. Pouzar says:

Ducey:

….get someone better in the offseason.

This is the part that’s apparently easier said than done.

85. The Artist formerly known as "NYCOIL" says:

Ducey:

Trade him now and get someone better in the offseason.

I’m all for getting a Soderberg or Sobotka, but there are no guarantees. I don’t want another summer like last year where MacT tried but failed to land a C.

If Roy likes it here, would be willing to stay and play with Yak and he signs for reasonable dollars, say a one-year, $2-million deal, why wouldn’t you? And then you still go out to try to land a Soderberg or Sobotka.

This team has not had depth at C since the 2006 season and we know how hard it is to acquire useful centres.

86. bendelson says:

The Artist formerly known as “NYCOIL”,

Subtle how you added Sobotka or Soderberg and removed Purcell.
    Are you simply buying him out?

All in all, an improved lineup although penciling Pakarinen seems a little premature.

If you were to trade bad contracts and move Purcell to Arizona for Korpikoski (buy low) do you improve the depth in the bottom six enough to take on that contract and focus your buyout(s) on the backend?

87. Ca$h-Money! says:

Pouzar: This is the part that’s apparently easier said than done.

Exactly.

We have to learn our lesson. Sign Roy. Then, try to get someone better in the off season. We can do both.

The thing about $1 million contracts is that you can bury them in the minors and only, what, $50k stays on as a cap hit? I’d do that 4 times over if it means finding the best possible 2C.

For now, we know Roy CAN work with Yakupov and be somewhat effective. It’s also very likely that he will want to stay here, since, you know, we’re the first team in forever where he’s had any success.

88. vinotintazo says:

The Artist formerly known as “NYCOIL”,

but but Sodeberg is moar bigger!!!@!#! lol

89. The Artist formerly known as "NYCOIL" says:

bendelson,

Ya, I’ve been going on about the 3 horsemen of the Oilers apocalypse for a while now. Most people will have tired of hearing me say this.

Buy out Nikitin $1.5M cap hit
    Retain $1M of Ference’s $3.25M and trade him for a late pick, even if in future years
    Retain $1.5M of Purcell’s salary and trade him for a pick. Failing that, buy him out at $1.5M

Cap savings of $8.25M.

Would you rather spend:
    $12.25M on an always injured #6 d-man who has back issues (ask Uncle Jesse how debilitating that is), a #7 d-man who is too old and small now to keep up, and a third line winger capable of 30 points.
    Or spend $4M on having them not on the roster, and spending it instead on, say Hjalmarsson ($4.1M) and Soderberg ($4M).

I take the latter.

90. Pouzar says:

The Artist formerly known as “NYCOIL”: Problem is we’ve just seen evidence that free agents don’t want to come here. It’s nice to say get someone better.

NYC for GM.
    Yer killin it brutha.

91. TeeVee says:

The Artist formerly known as “NYCOIL”:
    Numenius,

92. linkfromhyrule says:

Suggesting Roy should be traded right when him and Yak develop some chemistry is insanity. The kid has looked lost for the better part of two seasons up until these past few games. It’s so crazy, I could totally see the Oilers doing it.

Then, with the 4th round pick they get in return, they select a goalie. Or better yet, some BCJHL player that nobody has heard of.

How pumped must Marty Marincin have been to score his first NHL goal in the shootout on his birthday. It’s going to be so disappointing if/when the Oilers trade him (unless he brings back something of REAL value in one of our gaping roster holes).

93. The Artist formerly known as "NYCOIL" says:

TeeVee: http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/grabovski-alert/

94. Bruce McCurdy says:

Numenius: So I don’t know enough to fault McT for Grabovski and I can think of several reasons why it was good not to pick him up.

I’m trying to remember a single example of a waiver of a guy with big $$$ and long term where the guy got claimed, and I can’t think of a single one. NHL GM’s are not in the practice of solving their counterparts’ salary cap woes by claiming them off waivers, which is a red flag of gigantic proportions.

No doubt it is possible to find an exception where it would have been a not-bad idea, but to point the finger at one team not claiming a toxic contract and saying THIS GUY screwed up not making a claim when the whole league gave the waived player the ten-foot-pole treatment doesn’t sit well. And I say that in full deference to Woodguy and others’ statements about Grabovski the day he was available, I realize it’s not just hindsight in his case. But it would have been a step way outside the “conventional wisdom” box that zero of 29 NHL GM’s was willing to make.

95. Bruce McCurdy says:

The Artist formerly known as “NYCOIL”:
    Couldn’t find the video, but did find a quote where MacT talks about Grabovski

96. The Artist formerly known as "NYCOIL" says:

TeeVee:
    The Artist formerly known as “NYCOIL”,

Never said it was

Yes, I hear you. That’s why I quoted you rather than address you or jump on you for any claims, of which you made none. You provided a link, thank you by the way, that proved nothing in terms of off–ice issues, which Numenius mentioned.

I don’t’ think off-ice issues were a concern when Grabovski was available.

97. Bruce McCurdy says:

The Artist formerly known as “NYCOIL”:
    Auston Matthews ’16,

Jason Strudwick scored to extend it, 2 rounds before Marek “He Hasn’t Scored All Year” Malik worked his magic and his Statue of Liberty celebration, still the greatest single moment in the (NHL) history of the shootout.

If you’re behind Struds in the batting order, you gotta know it’s a long shootout.

98. The Artist formerly known as "NYCOIL" says:

Bruce McCurdy,

Yes, Bruce. I don’t believe I said MacT should have claimed Grabovski off waivers. MacT’s comment refers to his one year $3M value deal, you are right.

All I said was, MacT had chosen to pay Gagner and rolled with that rather than try to sign Grabovski, which he doesn’t say was a mistake but he admits that was a value deal and he’d like to find another like that (Nikitin, apparently).

So, you and I are not in disagreement on this, as far as I know.

99. Bruce McCurdy says:

The Artist formerly known as “NYCOIL”:
    Bruce McCurdy,

Yes,Bruce. I don’t believe I said MacT should have claimed Grabovski off waivers. MacT’s comment refers to his one year $3M value deal,you are right.

So, you and I are not in disagreement on this, as far as Iknow.

No you didn’t say that, that’s not what I meant. Just that what MacT was addressing there vs. the proposed (not by you) “shoulda claimed him off waivers” are apples and oranges. We’re not in disagreement at all.

100. Bruce McCurdy says:

In other news, Grabovski bites

101. The Artist formerly known as "NYCOIL" says:

Flat cap?

Clear the decks, guys. Buy out the dead weight and be one of the teams to benefit when the Hawks et al come calling looking to offload contracts (and just say no to Bickell and Crawford!)

102. rickithebear says:

vinotintazo: not much of a scorer

We need EVG; EVG; EVG; And EVG.

103. Unicorns says:

DBO:

Pouliot-Nuge-Eberle
    Hall-Roy-Yak
    Purcell-Lander-Pakarinen
    Klink-Gordon-Hendricks

This looks good to me as well. The thing is, it’s the Oilers, so you have to factor in the drafts. It’s hard to fit all the new players in and keep balance, and we all know they are almost certainly coming whether it makes sense or not. In order of difficulty and comp and trying to balance size and experience:

Hendricks Gordon Klink
    Hall Nuge Purcell
    Drai Lander Eberle
    Pouliot McEichelstrom Yak

Ference Fayne
    Klef Schultz
    Nurse Nikitin

Marincin / Aulie

Drai, McEichelstrom, and a goalie or D are the three new faces.

104. The Artist formerly known as "NYCOIL" says:

Unicorns,

Good Gord, that D. We’ll be in the running for Auston Matthews

105. Auston Matthews '16 says:

The Artist formerly known as "NYCOIL": Auston Matthews

Is there any concern?

106. LoDog says:

Auston Matthews ’16:
    No more corgis…

107. Auston Matthews '16 says:

LoDog: I mean unblocked shot attempts is the superior stat in my opinion.

USA! USA! USA!

108. rickithebear says:

LoDog: I mean unblocked shot attempts is the superior stat in my opinion.

Corsi ( shot attempts) = blocks + unblocked shot attemps
    Unblocked Shot attempts = misses + Shots
    Shots = Hit goalie shots + open Hole shots
    Open Hole shots = Open hole shots saved + openhole shots not saved
    Open hole shots not saved = Goals

Come on!
    We know which stat deals with all outside infuence.

Right WG 😉

109. OilSafety says:

Unicorns,

I don’t know,
    I would put Drai in the AHL for most of the season, move mcechlestom to wing in Drais spot to take the pressure off and add someone like Roy or Sodeberg to fill the gap at center and to mentor Yak. And if that’s our defense for next year, were going to be talking draft in January again. No thanks, please Mac T spend some time on lowetide.ca and all your problems will be solved 🙂

110. McSorley33 says:

The Artist formerly known as “NYCOIL”,

********************************************************************************************
    There were some off ice stories about Grabovski….duly noted by some in here at the time he was available.

National Post:

All this for a player who, prior to last year, was mostly known around the league as a **problem child** after pouting his way out of the Montreal Canadiens organization and then getting involved in an off-ice altercation at the 2010 Olympics in Vancouver.

111. Bruce McCurdy says:

LoDog: Good. Corsi and Fenwick are stupid names for stats anyway. Especially if you want the average joe to embrace them. Fenwi… I mean unblocked shot attempts is the superior stat in my opinion.

Agreed that descriptive terminology is better than whimsy. That plus the simple fact these concepts are being (belatedly) embraced & promoted by the NHL should result in significant progress & acceptance.

Much of science is dogged by terminology that was coined before the subject was fully understood. Thus we have bodies of water on the Moon — the Sea of Tranquility, Ocean of Storms, Bay of Rainbows — which have the further drawback of suggesting weather &’atmospheric phenomena. Not to mention the Sea of Fertility! Also we have shadows on the Sun, where inner and outer regions of sunspots are called umbra & penumbra. But even as our understanding of those features has blossomed, those terms remain rooted in ancient misundestandings.

I wonder what will be the new technical term for PDO. Breaking it down into its components “Sh% + Sv%” seems clumsy, but what better captures the concept? “Net percentages” is snappy, with a nice punny element. Or how about — wait for it — “Luck”?

112. Pouzar says:

Bruce McCurdy,

Yes. Luck. It would totally catch on. The avg fan would be like…”yeah…..that makes sense.”

I have some good buds out here who love their Jets. I have many an email convo with both and they are just getting into analytics. They will reference CORSI and Sh%, but I throw out PDO they are kinda “uhhh…….yeah…….suuurreee”. I’ve explained the concept but with a name like PDO they subconsciously don’t buy in right away. It’s like it needs time to percolate first.

113. Jon K says:

The Artist formerly known as “NYCOIL”: So there was a brawl in a bar somewhere involving 12 people, and a couple sued the most famous person there who has money. No charges were laid and nothing ever came of it. That”s not evidence of any character issues on Grabovski’s part.

Indeed. Impugning Grabovski’s character based on unproven allegations from a pleading document is absurd. Especially in the circumstances described.

The fact that no charges were laid speaks volumes. Generally speaking, police forces tend to overcharge and trust that the criminal justice system will absolve the innocent.

114. Auston Matthews '16 says:

Bruce McCurdy: I wonder what will be the new technical term for PDO.

This is a good question, and I like your suggestion for it.

I always thought it stood for something, until I looked it up one day.

So how about: Puck Directed Outcome?

115. Dark Asia says:

A good GM would…..

Trade the PIT #1 for Coburn or another decent vet (essentially a Perron for Coburn trade) and resign Petry. Buyout or trade Ference and Nikitin. Trade Schultz and obtain 3rd pair PP specialist unless he is signed easily for the same salary. Keep Nurse in AHL until last 20 games of the season at least.

Coburn Petry
    Klef Fayne
    Marincin Schultz

The issue at center also remains and MacT gets no brownie points for having tried to fix the situation last summer. His job is to fix problems he failed miserably to put a competitive package in place to start the year. Keep Roy till the end of the year to give Yak stability as the return at the deadline is almost trivial, especially when you consider the Oiler draft record. Get Sobotka out of St Louis for a a draft pick this summer or resign Roy – then run with RNH, Roy/Sobotka, Gordon, Lander. Sign another vet free agent for insurance. Lander moves up to replace Gordon after next year and Yakimov moves up tp replace Lander.

Hall RNH Eberle
    Pouliot Sobotka Yak
    Klink Gordon Hendricks
    Drai Lander Pakarinen

Goal – retain Scrivens and sign vet UFA.

Not mission impossible – chances of this happening – almost zero – because Oilers.

116. Factotum says:

rickithebear,

Open hole shots saved did not hit the goalie? Interesting.

117. Bruce McCurdy says:

Auston Matthews ’16: This is a good question, and I like your suggestion for it.

I always thought it stood for something, until I looked it up one day.

So how about: Puck Directed Outcome?

Haha you’re way ahead of me. I was just thinking, we should come up with a NASA style “start with the desired acronym, then make up a messy string of words that capture the essence of it but will rarely be actually cited” approach.

My first thought was Percentages Drive Optics.

118. Bruce McCurdy says:

Factotum:
    rickithebear,

Open hole shots saved did not hit the goalie?Interesting.

What Ricki means (i think) is that the goalie hit the shot, rather than the other way around. Reflex save vs positional save, would be one interpretation (albeit an old goalie’s perspective ;).

119. AZOIL says:

What is the deal with Coburn? He is mentioned on here a lot, why does Philly want to get rid of him? Or do they? Why do we want him? Enlighten me!

120. Factotum says:

Bruce McCurdy,

Speaking of that, did you see the article yesterday about Pavel Datsyuk and the new “Shooter Tutor”? Besides the obvious revolution caused by the butterfly technique, the article cites goalie athleticism, training, and equipment size. The “open holes” have sure changed since you and I were young.

121. Heinz 57 says:

It wouldn’t surprise me if the Oilers make three top-dollar UFA offers each off season and get just one bite, and that this pattern has been established over more-than-a-few years already.

Furthermore, of the three, the player biting is generally the one with the sinking feeling inside his gut that this is the last rich contract he’ll ever see. Aching bones focus the mind.

Unbeloved Market for Bitter Lemons 101.

———

What Samuel Johnson really said:

“Depend upon it, sir, when a man knows he is to be hanged in a fortnight, it concentrates his mind wonderfully.”

———

The Market for Lemons

From a player’s perspective, the upside of a golden parachute is that it’s made of gold. The downside of a golden parachute is that it’s your last jump, and well before you pass through the gassy peat bog at ground zero on your way to the sardonyx sub-strata, everyone’s howling hound smells your contrail.

———

I recall that the original Trivial Pursuit had all kinds of birthstone questions masquerading as Science questions. None of these I ever got, in contrast to some other players who only ever got the birthstone science questions.

In the spirit of compromise, I propose that the original Trivial Pursuit be amended with the following question:

Which birthstone melts in acetic acid?

This will yield some good comedy, as twenty percent of the players go “what’s a birthstone?” and the other eighty percent go “what’s acetic acid?”

———

That reminds me of an interesting tidbit.

How Germany lost the WWI arms race

Britain had a manpower shortage and a paucity of acetone, the key component for making cordite.

In May 1915, after Manchester-based chemist Chaim Weizmann had demonstrated to the Admiralty that he could use an anaerobic fermentation process to convert 100 tons of grain to 12 tons of acetone, the government commandeered brewing and distillery equipment, and built factories to utilise the new process at Holton Heath in Dorset and King’s Lynn in Norfolk.

Together, they produced more than 90,000 gallons of acetone a year, enough to feed the war’s seemingly insatiable demand for cordite. As a result, shell production rose from 500,000 in the first five months of the war to 16.4 million in 1915.

Damn it all to hell, it appears the Jews can’t win for trying.

Some might have heard of Chaim Weizmann as the first President of Israel. Same dude.

The effort produced 30,000 tonnes of acetone during the war, although a national collection of horse-chestnuts was required when supplies of maize were inadequate for the quantity of starch needed for fermentation.

I suspect it takes a metric heap-tonne of conkers to manufacture 16.4 million cordite-packed artillery shells, even if the conker was merely a bung plug.

In Britain, [horse chestnuts] are sometimes called conker trees because of their link with the game of conkers, played with the seeds, also called conkers.

122. GCW_69 says:

Ducey:
    Would you be okay with Nuge, Roy, Lander, Gordon next season at center?

No.I’d be ok with all of them on the team, but they need another center.

Trade Roy at the deadline, re-sign him in the summer.Bring in another C who can play #2 C. Send Leon to the AHL to develop with Ewanyk, Jar Jar, Chase, Roy, Platzer, and Yak2.

All of a sudden the Oilers might have some depth at C.

I think you keep Roy for the rest of this year. Crazy to risk what Yak has going with him for a mid round draft pick.

That said, I would still go get another centre this summer to compete with Roy and Lander at centre.

I agree with LT, Leon and Nurse belong in the AHL next season. Strome or Hanifan should stay in thier current leagues, unless Hanifan could play in the AHL.

123. GCW_69 says:

Bruce McCurdy: MacT specifically mentioned value contract. Grabovski on a one-year, $3 MM deal is something closer to a value contract then four more years at $5.5 (I think it was — damn I miss CapGeek) coming off a year where he produced so little as to kick off a compliance buyout. Sorry, but even with 20/20 hindsight I have trouble marrying “compliance buyout” and “value contract” in the same line of reasoning.

It was not a value contact, but it was a worthwhile gamble for the Oilers. Stupid they didn’t grab Grabovski. With this exception of that year, Grabovski was about a 50 points per 82 centre with strong possession numbers. The Oilers we going to need to pay thier own 50 points per 82 centre with poor possession numbers and hopeless defensive awareness a number I the ball park. They also were really weak at defence. Gagner, at the time, still had decent trade value despite the weak defence because of his age.

A bold move would have been to claim Grabovski and trade Gagner for a defender. Even if Grabovski didn’t make it back fully to his 50 point per 82 level (which he did) the improvements in posession would have helped shelter Nuge and likely would have improved the defence considerably should Gagner have brought back a decent 3/4 defender. Overall, the Oilers would have been a better team with Grabovski and the Gagner trade return than no Grabovski and Gagner.

124. GCW_69 says:

Woodguy: EDM Dmen CF% vs BOS:
    Marincin 56%
    Petry 53%
    Fayne 39%
    Ference 33%
    Klef 33%
    Jultz 32%
    Guess which two aren’t in MacT’s plans next year?

Lovely. Why don’t you jam a screwdriver in my eye while you are at it.

125. Zangetsu says:

I’ve been saying it for awhile LT. Eberle is a bonfire nhl player.

Honestly though eberle is a top ten rw, possibly top 5. He is a top 30 winger, and probably top 50 fwd. don’t trade that guy, you don’t find them everyday.

126. Tire Fire says:

Heinz 57:
    Some might have heard of Chaim Weizmann as the first President of Israel.Same dude.

I’ve always thought this history has given Israel a very pro-science outlook. As a fun exercise, visit the US and Israel and tell the border agent that you are visiting to do some scientific research. The US guard will often say “why would you want to do that” and their Israeli counterpart will say “that’s great, you should already start planning your next trip to collaborate with us”.

I bet they’d be pro hockey analytics too, that is, if they gave even a quarter of a fuck about hockey.

127. Pouzar says:

Zangetsu:
    I’ve been saying it for awhile LT. Eberle is a bonfire nhl player.

Yeah he’s ok. But he doesn’t back check or win board battles.

128. Snowman says:

Zangetsu:
    I’ve been saying it for awhile LT. Eberle is a bonfire nhl player.

He’s not gritty enough. I haven’t seen him on one Don Cherry Rock ’em Sock ’em Hockey yet. He’s a bum. Who cares about elite finishing if he can’t face punch…

A little something on Jeff Petry, I was worried Hammers would miss it! 🙂

130. supernova says:

I am someone who has been on here, saying I believe that the oilers are much improved, from Eakins to Nelson (Still have a loong way to go).

I am not always able to check the comments.

It seems there is some theory that the Goaltenders are the main difference.

Has someone posted on here the save percantage this season between Eakins and Nelson.

Here is my thoughts on improvements.

1) PP
    2) more than one line scoring (mainly yak and lander)
    3) defence mainly klefbom and Schultz scoring more.
    4) seemingly have the ability as a team to come back and score after a bad goal

Some areas of concern

Winning many games outside of regulation. ( usually this would correct over time. Especially SO)
    Corsi down somewhat
    Defence still lost In their own zome

Are my comments fair?

I think the team is improved mainly in Morale but still a poorly constructed roster.

If San Jose misses playoffs or even loses first round McLellan is likely dumped. Maybe Katz backs up the brinks truck to him, aside from that I think Nelson is our man.

The play of the Barons on the roster and Yak is huge to the team.

Add in Hall, add in a legit top 2 Dman, a #1 goalie, another 2/3 Center.

This team has a chance to be in the battle this late next year. Maybe where Dallas and Colorado sit but that’s a big improvement.

131. spoiler says:

Glencross has apparently requested a trade out of the Flames, and has increased the number of teams to which he is willing to be traded from 1 team (seriously) to 5-7 teams. The 1 team was allegedly Anaheim.

132. jimmers2 says:

The Artist formerly known as “NYCOIL”,

ex-NYCOIL and Bruce, it was me who first brought up Grabovski and who regretted that he was not picked up on waivers. Perhaps I should have steered away from that iceberg! Thanks for the reminder about the term of his previous contract, longer than I remembered. I was indeed thinking as a fan and mumbling to myself about how to patch holes in the line up while the general discussion was about the difficulty of finding good a 2C. Clearly a difficult deal to swallow. I don’t really blame MacT for not not biting on the term but feel that he does absolutely need to find a good 2C. Some depth there will hide a few other holes in the line up.

133. Auston Matthews '16 says:

spoiler: Hmmm… Has he been looking at the Flames’ underlying numbers and decided to bail, lol?

He’s coming UFA and what I read, was that the Flames have been getting a lot of calls for him. I haven’t seen where he has requested out, but he might want a better chance in the playoffs this year with a true contender.

134. RexLibris says:

spoiler:
    Glencross has apparently requested a trade out of the Flames, and has increased the number of teams to which he is willing to be traded from 1 team (seriously) to 5-7 teams.The 1 team was allegedly Anaheim.

I’ll be interested to see what he nets them (no pun intended).

A 2nd round pick is probably decent value, but perhaps a team will offer up a 1st if they take leave of their senses.

He has some good numbers across the board on a team that hasn’t excelled there this season.

Injuries are a concern, and age/speed, but GMs often look past that to “intensity” and “bringing it in the post-season”. He’s played 6 career playoff games.

135. G Money says:

If the Flames think they have a serious chance to be in the post-season, won’t they be buyers rather than sellers?

136. spoiler says:

Auston Matthews ’16: He’s coming UFA

You don’t say!

😀

137. spoiler says:

G Money:

That’s kind of the point I was making.

138. theres oil in virginia says:

Pouzar: Yeah he’s ok. But he doesn’t back check or win board battles.

I’ve been behaving and keeping my mouth shut.

The Artist formerly known as “NYCOIL”:
    Bruce McCurdy,

So, you and I are not in disagreement on this, as far as Iknow.

I said MacT should take Grabbo off waivers and trade Gagner for a LD in April 2013 when MacT was hired:

He had 4 years left at $5.5 but Carlyle had him in Gordon’s role and his production plummeted accordingly.

He bounced back nicely in WAS and now in NYI he’s back in a defensive role with Kulimen (who was on his wing in TOR and Clutterbuck)

Back in the Gordon role and a positive RelCor.

He would have been mentoring Yak here for the last 2 years……….

That would have been nice.

140. leadfarmer says:

Many people are comparing Petry’s scenario with Hemsky’s which I find the two to be very different. The team had other players above Hemsky in the depth chart, while they don’t have anyone above Petry. but the big difference is you didn’t know how many games you would get out of Hemsky each year. He has a missed long stretches of several seasons and the risk of having a lemon was present. Petry hasn’t missed more than 10 games in his NHL career which for a NHL defenseman is rare.

Oh yeah and get Sobotka here this summer, even if you get one of the McEichelJesus centers, and sign Roy to a 1 million dollar contract. There is no such thing as too many centers.

141. Unicorns says:

The Artist formerly known as "NYCOIL":
    Unicorns,

Good Gord, that D.We’ll be in the running for Auston Matthews

You know it’s going to happen 🙁

142. RexLibris says:

G Money:

One might assume that to be true, but I think management knows the situation and would have tried to move Glencross regardless of playoff position.

It isn’t as though Murray Edwards needs the money.

That being said, if Glencross has requested a trade then maybe you move Glencross for a player/prospect that would help Calgary now and in the future.

Burke pulled the Beauchemin for Gardiner and Lupul trade back in Toronto, so he’s got some history mining other teams’ prospect ranks.

143. Unicorns says:

OilSafety:
    Unicorns,

I don’t know,

You are so right. I’m pretty sure Kingsway eyes hit these pages. I wonder how it reads to them?

144. Pouzar says:

Jim Matheson ‏@NHLbyMatty 36m36 minutes ago
    Petry’s agent Wade Arnott usually returns messages but quiet now so yes maybe Edm talking deal but why wouldn’t he try free-agency?#oilers

145. nelson88 says:

Platzer with a hat trick half way through the 2nd.

146. Yeti says:

Woodguy,

But he’s bad in the room, WG. Bad in the room!

Pouzar:
    Jim Matheson ‏@NHLbyMatty36m36 minutes ago

148. Pouzar says:

Lowetide: There’s something here. I’ve followed this damn team since Al Hamilton signed, there’s smoke herre. May not result in a signing, but as I mentioned in the ON piece this is different.

I am getting drunk now just in case.

149. RexLibris says:

Wait, I’m having a vision….

Yes, yes I see it now…

The Oilers tweet out that Petry has been signed to an extension, followed by LT retweeting it adding that he is going to have a beer and then he is going to have another.

150. Bruce McCurdy says:

GCW_69: It was not a value contact,but it was a worthwhile gamble for the Oilers. Stupid they didn’t grab Grabovski.

“Worthwhile gamble” escalates to “stupid that they didn’t” in half a sentence.

If I’m a GM gambling $20+ MM of the owner’s money, I want to be damn sure. And i sure wouldnt want him asking why my $5.5 MM waiver bargain had scored 9 goals and 19 points all season & still had 2 more years to go.

151. Zangetsu says:

Perry wants 5, edmonton won’t go higher than 4.9. Seen this story before.

Zangetsu:
    Perry wants 5, edmonton won’t go higher than 4.9. Seen this story before.

Fucking Perry.

153. GCW_69 says:

Bruce McCurdy: “Worthwhile gamble” escalates to “stupid that they didn’t” in half a sentence.

The answer would be pretty simple. His track record is 50 points per 82. His coach deployed him very differently this season which undoubtedly had a strong negative impact on his production this past season. We would be using him in a role similar to his role under his previous coach which should result in him going back to his previous levels, or close enough to it. Additionally, he is a much stronger defensive player than our current number two centre. So, even if we do end up giving up a bit of offence we should more than make it up in keeping pucks out of our net. It should also allow our coach to shelter Nuge more than he could with Gagner in the two spot.

Additionally, I need assets to trade to fill some of the gaping holes in our roster. By claiming Grabovski I can trade Gagner for a defender we desperately need.

At this time, we have significant amounts of unused cap space. At this point in our rebuild, it will be difficult to attract higher profile free agents, so this move provides us with an opportunity to leverage that cap space to improve our overall team and asset quality.

Therefore, Mr Katz, I think this is a worthwhile risk, a gamble if you wish, but one with manageable downside and significant upside.

154. Yeti says:

Lowetide: Fucking Perry.

Don’t stop believin’, LT.

155. Bruce McCurdy says:

GCW_69: The answer would be pretty simple.His track record is 50 points per 82.His coach deployed him very differently this season which undoubtedly had a strong negative impact on his production this past season. We would be using himin a role similar to his role under his previous coach which should result in him going back to his previous levels,or close enough to it. Additionally,he is a much stronger defensive player than our current number two centre. So,even if we do end up giving up a bit of offence we should more than make it up in keeping pucks out of our net.It should also allow our coach to shelter Nuge more than he could with Gagner in the two spot.

Additionally,I need assets to trade to fill some of the gaping holes in our roster. By claiming Grabovski I can trade Gagner for a defender we desperately need.

At this time,we have significant amounts of unusedcap space. At this point in our rebuild,it will be difficult to attract higher profile free agents,so this move provides us with an opportunity to leverage that cap space to improve our overall team and asset quality.

Therefore,Mr Katz,I think this is a worthwhile risk,a gamble if you wish,but one with manageable downside and significant upside.

A well-argued case. I’m not saying you’re even wrong, I’m just saying that the opposing viewpoint isn’t “stupid”. It was that escalation in your language that I was objecting to.

The conventional wisdom was/is “hands off contracts with 8-figure outstanding value on waivers” and it is league wide. Conventional wisdom isn’t always that wise, but it generally isn’t stupid. For sure the model deserves to be poked and prodded for exceptions on an individual case, but “let’s not take a chance on a potential boat anchor contract” is a defensible choice at pretty much any time. Conservative? yes. Stupid? Nope.