In what was a most enjoyable evening at Rexall, Edmonton Oilers fans got to see a terrific power play and another wave of Oklahoma City youngsters helping the team to victory. Todd Nelson? 10-10-3. Todd Nelson? Can’t be stopped. Todd Nelson, won’t be skyped!
Oilers have had recent discussions with Petry camp. Wouldn’t surprise me if offer has come. Long shot with FA looming but never know.
— Ryan Rishaug (@TSNRyanRishaug) February 18, 2015
Ryan Rishaug is a very credible source and this is very good news! If the Oilers made a serious offer it has to start with a 5 based on what we’re seeing these blue go for leading up to this free-agent season. A RH side of Petry, Schultz and Fayne for next season is a far stronger trio than w/o Petry. The young man’s possession stats are slightly below 50% now, but he’s 55.3% Corsi for 5×5 without the captain and 46.3% with him. With Klefbom? 53.2%.
Marincin is just past 60 games in his NHL career and is about 50% Corsi for 5×5 this season. The rangy defender is absolutely the redheaded stepchild in the Oilers prospect arsenal on defense. I don’t see him here in a year, have seen this movie before and it always ends with an airport goodbye and a new frontier for the player. The one thing that makes me think he could stay? Todd Nelson. He seems to have been heaven sent and bound to turn these Barons into Oilers. Marincin has a ways to go before getting back to last year but last night’s fun should help his confidence.
Of course! Why not? The injury means nothing if they sign Petry but an injured blue isn’t going to have value at the deadline. Last night could be very expensive for Edmonton if Petry turns them down. We wait. As for Lander, I think he’s shown enough this season (22gp, 4-7-11 and fine two-way play) to be a legit member of the 2015-16 team. Score one for the MacGregor drafts.
|.906||LEON DRAISAITL 2012-13 WHL||64||21||37||58|
|1.64||LEON DRAISAITL 2013-14 WHL||64||38||67||105|
|1.67||LEON DRAISAITL 2014-15 WHL||18||9||21||30|
OILERS LAST 10 GAMES, SCORING
- Jordan Eberle 10gp, 3-9-12
- Nail Yakupov 10gp, 4-4-8
- Ryan Nugent-Hopkins 10gp, 4-3-7
- Oscar Klefbom 10gp, 1-5-6
- Jeff Petry 10gp, 0-5-5
- Teddy Purcell 10gp, 1-4-5
- Anton Lander 10gp, 3-1-4
- Derek Roy 10gp, 2-2-4
- Justin Schultz 10gp, 1-2-3
- Andrew Ference 10gp, 0-3-3
- Benoit Pouliot 5gp, 1-1-2
- Ryan Hamilton 5gp, 1-1-2
- Iiro Pakarinen 8gp, 0-2-2
- Mark Fayne 10gp, 1-0-1
- Luke Gazdic 8gp, 1-0-1
- Taylor Hall 1gp, 0-1-1
- Matt Hendricks 8gp, 1-0-1
- Rob Klinkhammer 8gp, 0-1-1
- Boyd Gordon 10gp, 0-0-0
- Matt Fraser 7gp, 0-0-0
- Martin Marincin 6gp, 0-0-0
- Keith Aulie 4gp, 0-0-0
- Ben Scrivens 3gp, 2.63 .909
- Viktor Fasth 7gp, 3.71 .883
- Richard Bachman 1gp, 6.15 .852
Eberle doesn’t get enough credit, he’s the best offensive player on the team during the Hall-less run and proves it every week. Nail is having a nice run here, keep it up young man! He had a wobbly bit with his leg last night, not sure what it was but he came back and skated miles. Nuge seems to be finding the range on 5×4 again that’ll spike the boxcars. There are six Barons in that lineup, five of them making significant contributions to the Oilers 10-10-3 record under their coach. A nice rainbow in a season of rain.
LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE
A packed show this morning! 10am on TSN1260. Scheduled to appear:
- Dennis King, Oilogosphere Icon. We’ll talk Jeff Petry’s contract, the cost of ‘tearing it down’ for an NHL franchise.
- Rob Vollman, ESPN. We’ll talk about Jeff Petry’s value compared to other free-agent defensemen.
- Scott Cullen, TSN. Scott will pop in and talk about tough decisions in Boston, Los Angeles and Toronto.
- Kirk Luedeke, Red Line Report. The Bruins issue, plus lots of 2015 draft talk.
10-1260 text, @Lowetide_ on twitter. Stay tuned!