BACK IN THE DRAISAITL AGAIN

It’s been a significant week for Leon Draisaitl who settled in at the WHL level in February and proceeded to beat the opposition senseless. We also heard from his NHL GM about areas of improvement and an innovative observer gave us some insight into the current state of Leon.

PPG NAME (LEAGUE) GP G A PTS
.906 LEON DRAISAITL 2012-13 WHL 64 21 37 58
1.64 LEON DRAISAITL 2013-14 WHL 64 38 67 105
1.70 LEON DRAISAITL 2014-15 WHL 20 11 23 34
Leon is now crushing the ball at this level and those numbers should rise through the spring. Last season’s offense—those numbers got him drafted No. 3 overall—have been exceeded and there’s still more track to go. The reports from Kelowna have our man Leon playing well in all three zones and flourishing in his age group.

CORDELL’S NUMBERS

Todd Cordell has been working on shining light on junior players and his look at Leon Draisaitl is informative. The report is here and well worth the read, as Cordell looks at Zone Starts, Zone Entries and Shot Attempts. I will lift one line from the report:
  • Cordell: Draisaitl was an absolute freak. He wasn’t rewarded for his efforts until late – he had a PPG and an assist in the final eight minutes – but he dominated this game from start to finish. OZ start? Here comes a few shot attempts. NZ or DZ start? No problem, Draisaitl just carried the puck up ice, into the OZ and went to town. What a player.

MACT’S THOUGHTS

• MacT: “Leon has got learn to be more impactful without the puck. He was OK this year. But he’s got to learn how to check, and when he does that, then he’ll be playing here because all other elements of his game are good enough. He can pass, he can run a power play, he’s got unbelievable vision and strength. But there are a few boxes we have to check off before he’s (ready).” Source

None of this is a surprise but it’s good to hear the GM thinking along these lines. Draisaitl will get his chance in TC, along with Derek Roy and Bogdan Yakimov and Dylan Strome. My guess is Strome heads back to junior, the giants are off to Bakersfield and Derek Roy plays on a line with Yakupov. We might see Leon on the wing after Christmas and that’s completely fine.

110 Responses to "BACK IN THE DRAISAITL AGAIN"

1. nqmt says:

Hey LT, do you think MacT is capable of learning from his mistakes faster than hes making them considering his stubbornness?

2. RexLibris says:

Nothing wrong with anything here.

Consider if the Oilers had drafted Bennett over Draisaitl.

We ‘d be freaking out about our prospect spending the majority of his draft +1 year on the shelf with shoulder surgery while the other, bigger prospect gets another year stronger.

Draisaitl was the right call and I look forward to seeing him play in the NHL again where we can all debate whether he would be a 1st line center on a contending team. 🙂

nqmt:

It’s going to be closer than the climax of the Hunt for Red October.

4. SVR says:

Great to see Leon dominating against his peers. I agree, he should start next year with the farm team.

Run RNH, Roy, Gordon, and Lander or UFA signing in Edmonton

Check in on Leon in February 2016

5. RexLibris says:

Going to be hard to add center depth this summer.

Sign Roy now and then try to bring in someone like Handzus or Loktionov?

6. rickithebear says:

Leon will be the same age as yakimov in the AHL next year.

We need to play him with Moroz and Ewanyk to see if he can perform like Yak and khaira!

rickithebear:
    Leon will be the same age as yakimov in the AHL next year.

Haha. Damn that was good.

8. SVR says:

How about Maxim Lapierre as a depth center signing?

9. Ryan says:

Hey guys. I’m still alive and reading LT! Nothing new to say… Cheers!

10. Cameron says:

RexLibris:
    Nothing wrong with anything here.

Consider if the Oilers had drafted Bennett over Draisaitl.

11. Ryan says:

Cameron: I, for one, am looking forward to all comparisons between Bennett and Draisaitl moving forward. I’m sure that Draisaitl will be the ‘German Jason Allison’ as advertised, but I am equally convinced Bennett is going to be the ‘Faster, Bigger, Doug Gilmour’, and there is no doubt which I would prefer to build a team around.

My wife has me watching the Oscars…

What does LT have against Rosamund Pike?

12. Ryan says:

Ryan: My wife has me watching the Oscars…

What does LT have against Rosamund Pike?

For that matter…

What about Margot Robbie? I haven’t seen her here either…. 🙂

13. The Artist formerly known as "NYCOIL" says:

Bennett is going to be a good one. But Jason Allison? Get out of here with that. No one has said anything of the kind. Jason Allison was one of the slowest skaters in the NHL. Draisaitl won fastest skater on the Oilers (albeit ahead of an injured Taylor Hall). He has to work on his edge work and faster turns, but when he gets going, he is not slow.

14. Pretendergast says:

Shoot, I had Tyler Soy on my draft list and I was gonna surprise everyone with how underrated this kid is and make a case to pick him in the mid rounds. Then I would get all the glory! On to the next petty attempt to get attention and rep I guess! 🙂

15. hockeyguy10 says:

SVR:
    How about Maxim Lapierre as a depth center signing?

I’d rather have small pox ….

Ryan:
    Hey guys.I’m still alive and reading LT!Nothing new to say…Cheers!

Hi Ryan!

17. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Cameron: the ‘German Jason Allison’ as advertised

You spelled “Jozef Stumpel” wrong.

Also, if you use the clause “as advertised” and put quotes on “German Jason Allison”… you should be able to cite something like a common truism espousing the matter, not crickets.

18. blainer says:

Cameron,

I am hoping Dry is our Kopitar…not Allison..

Ryan: For that matter…

What about Margot Robbie?I haven’t seen her here either….:)

Robbie is too young, I’d feel wrong about posting her photo. I make exceptions for Scarlett because of that damn photo with the ball.

20. Mr DeBakey says:

SVR: How about Maxim Lapierre as a depth center signing?

How about a Finn?
    57.2% on the dot.
    21st in plus/minus in the KHL

Edit:
    And more ESG than Sobotka!
    7 is more than 5, right?

21. TemujinBC says:

Neuvirth just made a swell blocker save to keep the Sabres up by 1 against the Preds, late in the third period.

#TankNation for McJesus might be more competitive than we all think!

22. Pouzar says:

Ok. I’m down with Mitch Marner.

23. TemujinBC says:

Aaaaaaand cue the ribeiro tying goal.

4 minutes left in this one.

24. OrangeandBlue says:

Lowetide: Pike is reallllll pretty, I saw her in that lawyer movie about the guy who killed his wife and then used the cop who was having an affair with his wife to walk. It starred that Canadian guy, don’t know his name. I think he’s the Canadian. Who knows.

Hey Lowetide, I believe that you’re referring to the movie, “Fracture” with the Canadian Ryan Gosling. I second putting up a pic of Rosamund Pike sometime!

25. Pouzar says:

Renaud Lavoie ‏@renlavoietva 2h2 hours ago
    J.Wisniewski is healthy scratch tonight. I think the #bluejackets are ready to listen if any team wants him. 2 years left on his contract.

Thoughts?

26. RexLibris says:

Pouzar:
    Renaud Lavoie ‏@renlavoietva2h2 hours ago

Thoughts?

Nice signing, Howson!

27. Eustace Matthews '16 says:

Miller goes down and leaves – looks pretty bad: https://gfycat.com/DelightfulCoordinatedHamadryas

Bryz to the rescue?

28. TemujinBC says:

Tyler Ennis just ripped a slap shot home in the shootout, after dangling in like he was going to deke. Wow

29. Eustace Matthews '16 says:

Pouzar: J.Wisniewski is healthy scratch tonight.

Leopold driving the tank?

30. The Artist formerly known as "NYCOIL" says:

Eustace Matthews ’16,

Send them Scrivens for their 2nd!

No? Ok.

Mackinnon with a hat trick tonight finally gets to double digit goals on the year. Still a great player and will be for years to come but man is there ever a double standard when it comes to other teams’ top prospects and the Oilers’

Could you imagine if Hall had only 9 goals at the 60 game mark as a sophomore?

31. Cameron says:

Romulus Apotheosis: You spelled “Jozef Stumpel” wrong.

You have a funny way of spelling ‘Jiri Dopita’, but I’m not pedantic.

And if you guys want to pretend that there isn’t a problem with Draisaitl’s first three steps, I won’t hold it against you.

32. Dashingsilverfox says:

The Artist formerly known as “NYCOIL”:
    Eustace Matthews ’16,

Send them Scrivens for their 2nd!

No? Ok.

Could you imagine if Hall had only 9 goals at the 60 game mark as a sophomore?

Nathan MacKinnon is 31 months younger than Ryan Nugent-Hopkins (and only 2 months older than Leon Draisaitl) and is suffering from an unsustainably low shooting percentage of 5%.

Had MacKinnon been born 1 day earlier, this would have been his rookie season so I think some context is required.

33. MightyOil1 says:

Pouzar:
    Renaud Lavoie ‏@renlavoietva2h2 hours ago

Thoughts?

Trade him straight up for Nikitan.

34. Gret99zky says:

Sabres lose in a shootout.

I must admit, they are very good and chopping wood and carrying water.

#tankbattle

35. Gret99zky says:

Pouzar:
    Renaud Lavoie ‏@renlavoietva2h2 hours ago

Thoughts?

Maybe Howson can convince MacT to blow the other foot off.

36. Eustace Matthews '16 says:

Did a bridge collapse today?

37. The Artist formerly known as "NYCOIL" says:

Dashingsilverfox,

Welcome back! If you re-read what I wrote, context is not necessary. You have missed my point entirely, which was that if Mackinnon were on the Oilers people would be talking about how he wasn’t the right pick at number one.

Moreover you know that I rate Mackinnon very highly so there was no need to pick off my comment except to serve notice you are back, at least for today.

38. SVR says:

Pouzar:
    Renaud Lavoie ‏@renlavoietva2h2 hours ago

Thoughts?

Would Mac T ever trade Schultz? I would offer him up for Wisniewski. Would Columbus bite?

39. dessert1111 says:

I was at the Victoria – Kelowna game last night (the one after the one cited by Cordell) sitting at the glass behind the goal net. A few thoughts:

– This is the second Royals’ game I’ve been to, plus some others seen on TV/ heard on the radio. I’ve seen Chase’s estimated TOI cited at about 25 I believe, but he’s getting 3rd or 2nd line minutes at best with 2nd or sometimes 1st unit PP and no PK. I don’t know how these numbers are generated but I think they need retooling to have any use – they are clearly way off.

– Chase had little impact on the game but shows bursts of speed and is sneaky getting open. He’s not great defensively at this stage

– Draisalt was a man among boys physically and with his play. Good defensively at this level and of course the elite passing and holding onto the puck. Uses his body effectively. Had a superb snipe picking a corner with a quick release off his forehand. Displayed a lot more attitude than I was expecting, got under people’s skin.

– Joe Hicketts really settled his partner down

– Tyler Soy wasn’t as good as last game I saw but does a lot of little stuff right and has good vision and passing. A tad on the small side, similar style to RNH though obviously not as good. I doubt the Oilers target him cuz he’s not big and more of a pass first guy but he seems like a good mid round pick and plays with Chase at ES, PP and 4×4.

40. Gret99zky says:

The Artist formerly known as "NYCOIL",

Do Avalanche fans not criticize Mackinnon? Honest question, I haven’t read one Avs blog/board.

41. leadfarmer says:

Pouzar,

Wonder what thats about. Haven’t followed them since last season but is 4th in points and only a -6. Not that being 4th in points on that team is anything to write home about. Its like a whole team of Tyler Pitlicks over there this year.

42. leadfarmer says:

Gret99zky,

What about Duchene and Landeskog. They have the same amount of points as Nuge on a better team. Are they being criticized?

43. Dashingsilverfox says:

The Artist formerly known as "NYCOIL",

I’m not so sure those “people” would be saying that considering MacKinnon has scored 99 points in a season and three quarters and has been snakebitten around the net this season.

Wasn’t meaning to pick on you, just pointing out that MacKinnon is as young a second year NHL player can be and I think most folks would cut him some slack because of that.

44. leadfarmer says:

Gret99zky,

That is still one of the craziest contracts I heard of. Even worse than the 9 mil for 2 years of Nikitin who I thought no one would of wanted after last year.

45. cabbiesmacker says:

RexLibris:

Worlds shortest debate? One day maybe? Probably.

46. The Artist formerly known as "NYCOIL" says:

Gret99zky,

Nope. Neither do fans and media around the league. Oilers’ picks are the favourite whipping boys around the NHL. Nuge is a 3C, Hall is a glorified 2nd line winger, Yak is a bust, etc.

47. leadfarmer says:

Dashingsilverfox,

Well that snake bitten guy has a hattrick tonight.

48. RexLibris says:

First sentence, all good. Comparing one player to another, so closely drafted, same position, and close proximity is an interesting exercise.

Second sentence, Jason Allison, kind of comes out of nowhere. I hadn’t heard the Allison comparisons. I have heard, and am not very comfortable with, people calling him the German Gretzky prior to the draft (when there was no Oiler connection as yet). And there have been discussions that his skill set seems comparable in some senses to Joe Thornton or Anze Kopitar, but I think much of that comes to the fore because of his size. As a rule of thumb, I don’t like overgeneralizations of player comparables.

Third sentence, kind of superfluous. I know you love Bennett, and don’t begrudge you one iota of that. He looks like a heck of a player and I think he’ll be great fun for Flames fans to watch, certainly in comparison to the more subtle Monahan. But I think you are also leaving yourself open to accusations of homerism here. I know you were in favour of Bennett before the draft, but to another they may see your statement and suggest that your preference is due to hindsight rather than real appreciation. Besides, you’re a Flames fan and as such we would all expect you to prefer your prospect over a rival’s.

Draisaitl was the right pick for the Oilers. Bennett was right for the Flames. When drawing upon historical comparisons though it might be best to use positive examples in both cases, rather than a negative one in the former and a positive one in the latter. Cherry-picking comps is disingenuous to the conversation. We could just as easily say that Draisaitl is a younger Kopitar while Bennett is a slightly taller Brule. In either case, it is bad form.

On another note, I’m really interested to see if the Flames can cling to a playoff spot and what actions Burke and Treliving take in this regard. Claiming Bryzgalov would be a good move, in my opinion (reasons given at FN).

49. Gret99zky says:

leadfarmer,

I don’t know what the Avs fans are saying. I do know that losing often brings criticism. Justly or unjustly.

50. The Artist formerly known as "NYCOIL" says:

Dashingsilverfox,

Oh, no arguing from me that Mackinnon isn’t a hell of a talent, better than any of the Oilers’ three first overalls.

I do think though that his sophomore “slump” would be tolerated a lot less in the media fishbowl that is the Edmonton Oilers Tire Fire at the moment.

Glad to see you back, by the way. You can shoo away all the imposters laying claim to your throne that have come out of the woodwork of late.

😉

51. Yeti says:

Might be of interest to some here: running a football (i.e. soccer) club on a stats-driven basis.

52. RexLibris says:

cabbiesmacker: Worlds shortest debate? One day maybe? Probably.

That was in reference to the recent discussions of whether Nugent-Hopkins is a 1st line center because he isn’t putting up enough points.

53. jp says:

Mr DeBakey: How about a Finn?
    57.2% on the dot.
    21st in plus/minus in the KHL

Edit:
    And more ESG than Sobotka!
    7 is more than 5, right?

The Artist formerly known as “NYCOIL”,

Completely agree with Sobotka if the price is reasonable (assets and salary). That Koskiranta fellow also has some size and a decent track record. Definitely worth a look see if he’s interested and we’re not expecting a significant contribution from him.

54. Gret99zky says:

The Artist formerly known as “NYCOIL”:

Fair enough. The Avs did make the playoffs last year so maybe the fans are slightly placated.

We haven’t made the playoffs since Debbie Harry wore shiny dresses.

55. RexLibris says:

Dashingsilverfox,

Your timing is uncanny. Were your ears burning?

Welcome back, sincerely.

56. The Artist formerly known as "NYCOIL" says:

Mr DeBakey:

I didn’t even see your edit.
    Sobotka has shown he can play well in the NHL. Don’t know enough about your Finn but Finns are good. Citing plus minus is not. Also without TOI and linemate and zone usage comparisons we can’t make any conclusions about the even strength goals.

Not against bringing your Finn over, but I need to do more research. What’s his contract status?

57. The Artist formerly known as "NYCOIL" says:

jp,

Salary is set. It’s very reasonable. Assets? Don’t know. Time to trade for his rights is now by offering St Louis something for their playoff run.

Sobotka has burned his bridge with Armstrong and the Blues may want to move on from that asset for a reasonable return.

Pouzar:
    Renaud Lavoie ‏@renlavoietva2h2 hours ago

Thoughts?

Weird, I wonder what happened?

Wiz has always had trouble staying healthy, but he’s always been the goods.

Two more years at $5MM cap.

31 years old.

Shoot right.

If they trade Petry then follow that up with Ference and a 3rd for Wiz.

59. sliderule says:

I recorded the Leon Friday game and he is doing some good things.

Similar to Yakupov he has added a change of pace to his game.He used it a couple of times to the outside.

His two assists were just touching the puck but his game winner was alert and a snipe

Defensively he needs work.In his own zone he doesn’t engage aggressively and unless he gets this he will have to spend some time in AHL.

Other than Chases goal on PP he wasn’t too noticeable.

60. Dashingsilverfox says:

Just to add little more to the MacKinnon “context”

McKinnon (17:07) is 3rd in TOI/G among Avalanche centres following O’Reilly (19.31) and Duchene (19.29) .

His 36 points (pending the 3rd period) is identical to RNH who plays 21:03/game albeit in tougher circumstances.

I think most teams would be pretty pleased with a 36 point (and counting) 3rd line centre….especially one with the upside of MacKinnon.

61. Ray says:

MightyOil1: Trade him straight up for Nikitan.

This all day long. Lumbus might think about it too maybe a 3rd round sweetener.

Wiz would be a welcome addition if Petry is heading out the door 🙁

62. Dashingsilverfox says:

RexLibris:
    Dashingsilverfox,

Your timing is uncanny. Were your ears burning?

Welcome back, sincerely.

Thanks.

No, the burning was centred about a metre south of my ears 🙂

63. G Money says:

RexLibris: Your timing is uncanny. Were your ears burning?

Beetlejuice syndrome I think.

I knew we (also: logic, valid use of statistics, and being on topic) were in trouble when every other poster was saying dee ess eff out loud!

64. steveb12344 says:

RexLibris:
    Dashingsilverfox,

Your timing is uncanny. Were your ears burning?

Welcome back, sincerely.

He’s like The Candyman… Say his name five times and he shows up.

65. The Artist formerly known as "NYCOIL" says:

Dashingsilverfox:
    Just to add little more to the MacKinnon “context”

Thanks. So the Avs’ 4th line C plays 4 mins a game? Or don’t they also play wing?

Last year Mac’s most common linemates were Duchene and Landeskog. This year Iginla and Landeskog, no? Could also partially explain the slowdown.

And again, I love Mackinnon. No issues with him. At all.

66. fifthcartel says:

Mark Lazerus ‏@MarkLazerus 9m9 minutes ago
    Worth noting that Darling is cheaper than Raanta, and Nordstrom is cheaper than Hartman. If a move is coming, that could play a role.

I think they were interested in Raanta before. Really good numbers this year but in only 14 games.

67. Dashingsilverfox says:

The Artist formerly known as “NYCOIL”: Thanks. So the Avs’ 4th line C plays 4 mins a game? Or don’tthey also play wing?

Last year Mac’s most common linemates were Duchene and Landeskog. This year Iginla and Landeskog,no? Could also partially explain the slowdown.

And again, I love Mackinnon. No issues with him. At all.

Well it’s pretty common for teams with a surplus of centres to move some of them to the wing in some circumstances.

Based on face-offs take:

O’Reilly – 907

Duchene – 886

Mitchell – 609

Cliche – 507

MacKinnon – 428

I would surmise, based on those numbers, that it is generally MacKinnon who gets the most time at wing which is an entirely sensible thing to do with a 19 year old.

In tonight’s game, he was playing wing and didn’t take any face-offs.

68. Lois Lowe says:

Dashingsilverfox: Thanks.

No, the burning was centred about a metre south of my ears

Herpes eh? Sorry to hear old chap.

69. Cameron says:

RexLibris,

“But I think you are also leaving yourself open to accusations of homerism here. I know you were in favour of Bennett before the draft, but to another they may see your statement and suggest that your preference is due to hindsight rather than real appreciation. Besides, you’re a Flames fan and as such we would all expect you to prefer your prospect over a rival’s.”

Hey Rex!

I’m going to be accused of homerism around hear regardless of what I say, comes with being in enemy territory.

And you are correct, I was in favour of Bennett before the draft, though I do really (really, really) like Draisaitl. However, I was also somewhat shocked at the lack of explosiveness in his skating when I ‘saw him good’ playing 3rd line minutes for the Oil and in pre-season. He has a nice top speed, but he takes a while to get up to it.

I should also point out that Jason Allison (my original comp) was not meant to be as negative as it has been recieved (for gartuitous negativity I would have used the Dopita comp from the start), as Allison, despite lacking any upper gearing, was one hell of an offensive player. It wasn’t until he hit 30 and was suddenly all used up (ala Heatley), that he got the rep for being a turtle.

70. Pouzar says:

Woodguy: Weird, I wonder what happened?

Wiz has always had trouble staying healthy, but he’s always been the goods.

Two more years at $5MM cap.

31 years old.

Shoot right.

If they trade Petry then follow that up with Ference and a 3rd for Wiz.

No idea….he was pretty highly regarded last season.

Seems like a soft landing move for the eventual loss of Petry.

71. Mr DeBakey says:

The Artist formerly known as “NYCOIL”: I didn’t even see your edit.

The Finn is UFA [Otherwise, why discuss him?]
    Koskiranta plays the most minutes of the forwards for Siber.
    Just under 19 mins, Sobotka just over 19 minutes..
    Both are on good teams, Siber 7th just ahead of Omsk
    [Siber is Hersley’s team]
    ZS & QC aren’t available at this time.

72. Pouzar says:

Think there is some sphincter tightening goin on in Winnipeg(no not mine)?
    What a run by Minny/LA

Rosamund PIke was great in a bad Pierce Brosnan Bond movie (the one with the North Korean villain and Halle Barry).

She was also in good movies like “An Education” and “Barney’s Version”. She was also the elder Bennett sister in Keira Knightley’s “Pride and Prejudice”.

#MarionCotillard
    #EmmaStone

So my favourites are well represented tonight.

74. RexLibris says:

Cameron,

On Allison, fair enough, but you can’t mention Dopita around these parts and expect not to get some push back. Those were dark days.

Draisaitl mentioned he needs to work on his skating speed, specifically explosiveness, and were he a winger I’d be very worried.

However, as a center I think there is a little more leeway in one’s skating speed provided other aspects of their game are sufficiently strong. In his case, passing and rate of play-process. He thinks the game at a high level and has the ability to use his linemates effectively which can force defenders to hedge their bets when he enters the zone. They can’t play the body too closely if he has a trailing winger, for instance.

Allison v Gilmour though looks an awful lot like cherry-picking comps.

I’m going to give Bennett a mulligan on the remainder of this season, but will be interested to see how he does next year. For his sake, I hope the Flames don’t put him on the roster.

75. flyfish1168 says:

My vote has been for Draisaiti. I believe eastern media always to high. Western boys don’t get enough. Leon was on a pretty bad team last year.

76. RexLibris says:

godot10:

She was also in good movies like “An Education” and “Barney’s Version”.She was also the elder Bennett sister in Keira Knightley’s “Pride and Prejudice”.

#MarionCotillard
    #EmmaStone

So my favourites are well represented tonight.

That’s where I first noticed Ms. Pike as well. Stunning woman. Too bad they killed her off.

Same with Gemma Arterton in Quantum of Solace.

I know LT has used some of her…features…as a recurring gif from Tamara Drewe.

77. RexLibris says:

flyfish1168:

There’s the proverbial straw that stirs the drink, and then there’s the very glass that holds it.

78. cabbiesmacker says:

fifthcartel:
    Mark Lazerus ‏@MarkLazerus9m9 minutes ago

I was pumping Darling’s tires a month or so ago. I watch a lot of Hawks/Rockford hockey obviously and I like what I’ve seen of him moreso than Raanta even though it’s a small sampling.

Hawks don’t need to lose small change though. If they were gamblers they’d move Crawford’s contract and go with a Raanta/Darling tandem. I could live with that and it’s a better option than trading Seabrook and Sharp.

Hartman has potential. Nordstrom less so but theres going to be lots of youngsters in that lineup next year thanks to Toews and Kane’s greed.

79. pocession charge says:

The Artist formerly known as "NYCOIL":
    Dashingsilverfox,

I’ve never seen a throne under a bridge before. Mostly just a bunch of soggy rocks and a few scattered bones.

80. cabbiesmacker says:

24 is too young? What the…..for what? any time is a good time for Aussie chicks.

Not an SJ fan but I do appreciate you throwing Ms Blunt up now and then. More brunettes and redheads please.

81. cabbiesmacker says:

pocession charge: I’ve never seen a throne under a bridge before.Mostly just a bunch of soggy rocks and a few scattered bones.

What were you doing under a bridge praytell?

82. pocession charge says:

Lois Lowe,

Ladies and gentlemen, we have a winner!

83. pocession charge says:

cabbiesmacker: What were you doing under a bridge praytell?

I had to go draw some blood, of which I could not get enough of. While there, I tried to find my love, but alas ended up giving my life away.

84. flyfish1168 says:

RexLibris: He did run the PA show with Morrissey in his draft year. If I’m not mistaken, I think his On-Ice points % was somewhere in the range of 97% at one time.

Interesting how this year Sam Reinhart is averaging 1.4 ppg this season after 35 games and 1.75 last season

85. fifthcartel says:

cabbiesmacker,

Darling’s AHL numbers are pretty unreal, although he is older those numbers (no lower than .927 both years) are hard to ignore. It would be a good cap move to go with Darling/Raanta and clear out Crawford’s salary, but thankfully GM’s are way too loyal to guys who win them cups.

86. LadiesloveSmid says:

If Schultz wasn’t MacT’s little boy, Wiz would be a great pickup. Great at generating shot attempts, 51P last year. Run him through that http://ownthepuck.blogspot.ca . Would be great with Fayne/Marincin/Klefbom

87. v4ance says:

Cameron: You have a funny way of spelling ‘Jiri Dopita’, but I’m not pedantic.

I still think you guys are misspelling the “German Joe Nieuwendyk” wrong.

Those first 3 steps of Draisaitl… well initially I thought it was a foxtrot but now I think it’s more of a german waltz….

88. The Artist formerly known as "NYCOIL" says:

Pouzar:
    Think there is some sphincter tightening goin on in Winnipeg(no not mine)?
    What a run by Minny/LA

Yes. Woodguy was right. Prior to the season I put Minny in the lock to make the postseason camp. He disagreed and said their D was weak and goaltending even worse. I thought Minny’s overall team would be good enough and their goaltending good enough. I was wrong on the goaltending. Very wrong. The D, however wasn’t so weak and the team had much better possession stats than likely Woodguy anticipated when we had our mini discussion prior to the season, and now that they’re getting the goaltending, from DD, of all places, well the dominance of that team is showing through. Good call to put money down on them at those odds by Woodguy. I was way wrong on my goaltending assessment, not wrong in thinking Minny was very likely to become a Western power.

89. stevezie says:

Cameron: Allison, despite lacking any upper gearing, was one hell of an offensive player. It wasn’t until he hit 30 and was suddenly all used up (ala Heatley), that he got the rep for being a turtle.

This has never made sense to me. His final NHL year- the one the got him univeersally declared “too slow for the NHL- he was just shy of a point-a-game player (60 in 66), that’s getting second line minutes too. The 06-07 Oilers could have used him.

If you’re slow (or small or foreign or whatever), but produce results, aren’t you the definition of good enough? Or were you just getting lucky?

I think this is the problem fancy stats exist to explain/solve.

90. Hammers says:

Glad to see you say to play Leon on the wing when he comes up ( hopefully after 40 ). I also think its time to admit McT tried to get at least 2 centers ( unknown if more ) before the season started and once he got Roy it allowed him to send Leon to a Good team .Lets not forget Nurse went down twice . I think he knows what should be done with juniors but he was in a position where Lander didn’t do well for Eakins and he couldn’t sign anyone . I expect this years pick goes down unless it’s 1 of the top 2 that somehow falls to us . I still have faith in his decisions . Europeans , Russians , Collage players . I had my own business and made mistakes right up until retirement . Very unusual for anybody to be 100% right on all there decisions .

91. The Artist formerly known as "NYCOIL" says:

So long as Calgary doesn’t win the lottery this could be best case scenario for us.

San Jose may blow it up.
    Thornton, Marleau, Pavelski, Burns, etc on the list of blue chippers to be moved in the summer?

Would something around Pittsburgh’s 1st, Marincin, and another asset be enticing for them to send us Burns?

He’d be a godsend to this team as a RHD
    Future top 4 of
    Nurse-Burns
    Klefbom-Schultz

92. Numenius says:

Oof, I finally got the reference in the title.

Back in the Draisaitl again.

It’s been one of those days…

93. v4ance says:

The next pending iceberg after dealing with Petry is how much will we need to offer to re-sign Yakupov?

1) Same contract as Hall/Ebs/RNH 7x$6M
    2) Use new CBA and go max term 8x$6M
    3) Slight discount of term and dollars 6x$5.75M
    4) Bridge 3x$4M

94. GCW_69 says:

I was pretty excited about the 1.70 PPG until I saw that Oliver Bjorkstrand has 1.78 PPG.

95. GCW_69 says:

Gret99zky: Maybe Howson can convince MacT to blow the other foot off.

Best line of the day!

96. GCW_69 says:

The Artist formerly known as "NYCOIL":
    Dashingsilverfox,

I would hope most people would wait until a players third, and prerabably fourth year before calling a pick vs expectations. By year four, though, I think you pretty much know what you have in most cases (yes, there are exceptions, including the Sedins).

It will be very interesting to watch how MacKinnon responds next year and the year after. I think he will bounce back strong, but one never knows…

97. GCW_69 says:

leadfarmer:
    Gret99zky,

What about Duchene and Landeskog.They have the same amount of points as Nuge on a better team.Are they being criticized?

Landeskog walked into the NHL with an NHLe of about 65-70% of Hall/Seguin/Tavares, so results in that range at the NHL level should be acceptable. Landeskog was drafted high because of exceptional two way ability to go along with reasonable defence. He is in the range.

Nuge on the other hand came in with 80-85% of the offence and not as strong a two way game. So, I don’t think picking Landeskog is an appropriate comparison.

Duchene, I believe, had a lower NHLe than Nuge coming into his draft year. He also hit .90 PPG in his fourth year in the NHL. This is Nuge’s fourth year and he is running .61.

98. Romulus Apotheosis says:

GCW_69:

This is always the hambake of a comment.

“I was pretty excited about Bjorkstrand scoring 1.78 PPG as a 19.436 year old until I saw that undrafted Conor Garland has 1.84 PPG as a 18.516 year old”

99. Pouzar says:

The Artist formerly known as “NYCOIL”: Yes. Woodguy wasright. Prior to the season I put Minny in the lock to make the postseason camp. He disagreed and said their D was weak and goaltending even worse. I thought Minny’s overall team would be good enough and their goaltending good enough. I was wrong on the goaltending. Very wrong. The D, however wasn’t so weak and the team had much better possession stats than likely Woodguy anticipated when we had our mini discussion prior to the season, and now that they’re getting the goaltending, from DD,of all places, well the dominance of that team is showing through. Good call to put money down on them at those odds by Woodguy. I was way wrong on my goaltending assessment, not wrong in thinking Minny was very likely to become a Western power.

Yeah it’s tight in the West now. Good call on Minny. My only offseason prognostication was Vancouver making the playoffs. A ways to go yet.

100. Ca$h-Money! says:

GCW_69,

Interestingly they are functionally equal this year.

101. Pouzar says:

The Artist formerly known as “NYCOIL”:

San Jose may blow it up.

He’d be a godsend to this team as a RHD
    Future top 4 of
    Nurse-Burns
    Klefbom-Schultz

Man Burns would be exactly what this team needs. Talk about dreamy. What a great trade Wilson made there picking him up for Dany HeHateMe.

102. frjohnk says:

v4ance:

1) Same contract as Hall/Ebs/RNH 7x$6M
    2) Use new CBA and go max term 8x$6M
    3) Slight discount of term and dollars 6x$5.75M
    4) Bridge 3x$4M

Most likely a bridge contract, no more than 2M per year for 2 years

Couple of examples.
    Subban had a 2 year 2.8M per year bridge after a 36 point season.
    Couturier is one a 2 year 1.75M per year bridge

103. GCW_69 says:

Romulus Apotheosis: This is always the hambake of a comment.

You don’t thing comparing Leon against a fellow 2014 draftee is appropriate? One who scored at a similar level to Leon in his draft year and is now scoring at a slightly higher rate this year (Leon was 105 points in 64 games and Oliver was 109 points in 69 games)? This suggests to me Leon is about where we should expect him to be, which is great, but perhaps not yet exciting. And when you cheer for the Oilers, you look for exciting news wherever you can get it, but you also learn to be sceptical every time you hear it.

On the other hand, young Conor does not appear to have been draft eligible last season, and performed at a significantly lower rate last season, in line with where he would be expected to be in a draft -1 year. If you want to compare Leon to Conor, knock yourself out.

104. sliderule says:

If you want to watch Eichel the final of bean pot tournament is on at 530 mountain on TSN.

105. GCW_69 says:

Ca$h-Money!:
    GCW_69,

Interestingly they are functionally equal this year.

Duchene or Landeskog?

Duchene was just under 1 PPG in year five. That’s back to back years of close to 1.0 PPG offence. This is a down year offensively for a number of players in Colorado, but there is reason to believe Duchene can run in the .90 PPG range given he has done it twice. If we take his career average, we get .76 PPG, which is ~70-75% of Hall/Seguin/Tavares. Coming in to the league, I would have expected 75-80% so he in the range, if barely.

Nuge ran .83 in his rookie year, but is .60, .70, and .61 since.

Landkeskog is .63, .47, .80, and .63. It’s harder to get a read on him because of the variability, but expecting about .65 (his average) would seem to be reasonable. If we target somewhere around 1.0 – 1.1 PPG for Tavares/Hall/Seguin as the benchmark, that brings him in at 60-65% of their offence, which is what we should have expected looking at their relative NHLe’s coming into the league, or maybe Landeskog is doing a little better than we should have expected.

106. GCW_69 says:

v4ance:

1) Same contract as Hall/Ebs/RNH 7x$6M
    2) Use new CBA and go max term 8x$6M
    3) Slight discount of term and dollars 6x$5.75M
    4) Bridge 3x$4M

Bridge, definitely bridge. But I think you are looking at 1-2 years on the bridge. If I am Yak, I think I push for a 1 year deal given how well he has played since Eakins was jettisoned.

107. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Umm… you might want to double check that one.

GCW_69: On the other hand, young Conor does not appear to have been draft eligible last season,

Umm… you might want to double check that one too.

108. rickithebear says:

Players reterning to there previous team
    mid season from NHL team.
    need 5 games to crank it up!

NHL to new team it can take 10 gm.

Draisatl
    First 5 gm 6Pt -4 1.2 PT/gm
    Gm 6-10 9PT +6 1.8 PT/gm
    Gm 11-15 5pt +3 1.0 PT/gm
    Gm 16-20 14pt/5 +5 2.8 PT/gm
    Gm 6-15 28 pt +14 1.87 PT/gm 65pt NHLE @ 22

109. GCW_69 says:

Romulus Apotheosis: GCW_69: You don’t thing comparing Leon against a fellow 2014 draftee is appropriate?

Just did. I stand corrected.