Once the trade deadline passes, Oilers fans will be keen to watch college signings, draft picks entering into their entry-level deals and perhaps a few men extended for the 2015-16 season (as was recently done with Rob Klinkhammer and Ryan Hamilton). Let’s review the possible moves.
- D Joey Laleggia: Hobey candidate having another strong college season. Guy Flaming spoke to the gifted defender recently and it looks like the young man is looking forward to turning pro and playing in the Oilers system.
- R John McCarron: Big winger has not posted a strong college season but he does has size and could grab a contract.
- G Matt O’Connor: College free-agent goalie playing in one of the Beanpot games today, MacT is there to watch him. Elliotte Friedman and others have connected the player to the Oilers.
- Anton Slepyshev: Russian winger is enjoying a strong season and would seem to be a no-brainer addition for next season. Likely Bakersfield bound but there aren’t a lot of skilled wingers bubbling under.
- Roman Horak: Bolted early but should have a signing window and perhaps the Oilers can talk him into a contract. Matt Fraser hasn’t grabbed the job that is available, perhaps Horak is a better fit.
- C Kyle Platzer: He comes with a two-way rep, so the offense this season is in addition to a solid resume. Range of skills guys are always my favorites, hope Edmonton gets him signed.
- R Jackson Houck: Uneven season but is closing well and one suspects some of the turmoil comes from playing on a bad team. Oilers will like his size.
- C Marco Roy: Intelligent two-way center could be very valuable addition. I’m a little concerned Oilers won’t ‘see him good’ but he’s an industrious player who does a lot of things well.
- D Ben Betker: Monster defender who can skate. The Oilers will sign him.
C Greg Chase, C Leon Draisaitl and D Darnell Nurse are already signed and will turn pro in the fall.
- C Anton Lander: He should be signed to a one-way, multi-year contract at some point this spring. He’s one of the good things about this season.
- D Martin Marincin: They have to decide on him and that will include a one-way deal (or not). I’m convinced he’s a player. Are the Oilers?
- R Tyler Pitlick: Rob Klinkhammer got his contract and Ryan Hamilton may have gotten his backup plan. We’ll see but the battle got very difficult for Pitlick recently.
- L Matt Fraser: I like his game but he needs to score consistently. A much better prospect than some of the guys taken in his draft year(s).
- D Keith Aulie: Oilers will very likely bring him back.
- R Andrew Miller: I think he gets a contract and may get a look-see before season’s end.
- D Brad Hunt: GM signed him, suspect he’ll be back.
- D Brandon Davidson: The Oilers have always spoken highly of him, suspect he gets a contract.
- L Curtis Hamilton: I like his season a lot, suspect he’s done enough to get another deal.
- G Tyler Bunz: Unlikely to get a contract.
- C Kellen Lain: No idea, would guess he doesn’t return.
- G Frans Tuohimaa: I think the goaltending gets a makeover and he won’t be part of the new day.