OILERS RECALL MUSIL

Could the last Oilers prospect out of Oklahoma City please turn off the light? The Edmonton Oilers emergency recalled David Musil today, just hours before the Barons were scheduled to play a game against the Checkers in Charlotte, North Carolina. The Barons won last night and have some clearance but also have a chance to move up a little before the end of the season.

David Musil is a famous prospect in the Oilers system and has been the subject of much debate this calendar year. Edmonton’s scouting department has come under fire for their second-round selections and Musil is a player who has been mentioned several times as being a wasted or unfortunate selection.

Musil was ranked No. 17 overall in 2011 by Red Line Report, No. 41 by Bob McKenzie (the bible of drafting) and ISS had him No. 27 overall. Red Line said:

• RLR on Musil: His father, Frank, was a longtime NHL defenseman and currently a highly respected scout. David has excellent size and strength and plays a rugged brand of hockey with a bit of a mean streak. He reads developing plays well and uses anticipation to break up plays before they become dangerous. He’s got good hockey sense in all three zones, but his offensive upside is limited due to his mediocre point shot.
  • RLR on his comp:Maintains great gap control and always squares up to the puckhandler. Has good poise, plays solid, mistake-free game in own zone and is excellent positionally. Reads and anticipates developing plays well. Good laterally, but 1st step and straightaway speed are average. Is not good as either a PP quarterback or trigger-man— has weak shot and makes poor decisions in puck distribution. Comparable to Ladislav Smid.

Here’s what I wrote about him in August 2014 during the RE series:

1. How well did he perform in the AHL as a rookie? Well enough to establish himself as a legit NHL prospect. He can play the position, read sorties and defend them, and has the acumen required to make up for shortcomings at the AHL level.
  2. Does this bode well for him as an NHL prospect? Yes. There’s a job waiting for him if he continues to progress.
  3. What is the job? Defensive defenseman, penalty killer. The Ladislav Smid role.
  4. Does that have value? Sure. There are many players of his type still on NHL rosters, and I expect we’ll see them for the next 20 years. Their number and their impact is lost to the puck movers currently, and that’s likely to continue. You may see teams with only one of this player-type in the future.
  5. Among current Oilers, whose skill set most closely resembles Musil? Smid is the easy answer, but he’s gone. Mark Fayne has many of the same elements in his game that David Musil will bring to the NHL, should he arrive there.

The Oilers have recalled pretty much everyone from the farm this season (the only defenders of note from OKC without a callup are Dillon Simpson and Martin Gernat) and the number of men who have played on both the Barons on the Oilers is very long.

OILERS (BARONS) 2014-15

1. C Anton Lander 34GP, 6-12-18 (29GP, 9-22-31 in OKC)
  2. D Oscar Klefbom 56GP, 2-16-18 (9GP, 1-7-8 in OKC)
  3. R Andrew Miller 8GP, 1-5-6 (58GP, 25-31-56 in OKC)
  4. R Steve Pinizzotto 18GP, 2-2-4 (21GP, 1-10-11 in OKC)
  5. D Brad Hunt 11GP, 1-2-3 (55GP, 16-31-47 in OKC)
  6. R Iiro Pakarinen 17GP, 1-2-3 (39GP, 17-11-28 in OKC)
  7. L Luke Gazdic 36GP, 2-1-3 (5GP, 2-0-2 in OKC) (rehab)
  8. D Martin Marincin 37GP, 1-2-3 (27GP, 0-7-7 in OKC)
  9. L Ryan Hamilton 16GP, 1-1-2 (36GP, 17-15-32 in OKC)
  10. D Keith Aulie 27GP, 0-1-1 (8GP, 0-1-1 in OKC)
  11. R Tyler Pitlick 14GP, 1-0-1 (14GP, 3-6-9 in OKC)
  12. D Brandon Davidson 8GP, 1-0-1 (52GP, 4-6-10 in OKC)
  13. D Jordan Oesterle 6GP, 0-1-1 (59GP, 7-16-23 in OKC)
  14. C Will Acton 3GP,  0-0-0 (6GP, 1-1-2 in OKC)
  15. C Bogdan Yakimov 1GP, 0-0-0 (57GP, 12-16-28 in OKC)
  16. D David Musil 0GP, 0-0-0 (62GP, 1-9-10 in OKC)
  17. G Richard Bachman 5GP, 3.04 .908 (22GP, 2.30 .921 in OKC)
  18. G Tyler Bunz 1GP, 9.00 .750 (2GP, 5.00 .839 in OKC)

That’s a lot of recall. When Musil plays (or should he play) the Oilers will basically have an entire roster (2G, 7D, 9F) and the 298 NHL games played by the group above represents about 19% of the total roster spots for Edmonton this year (assuming 20 dress for 78 games that have been played this year, it gets wobbly because of the goalies). Either way, it’s a lot of man games from the minor leagues.

MUSIL’S RECALL: WHAT DOES IT ALL MEAN?

I had a chance to see David Musil many times in junior and his defensive coverage was very good. The young man’s speed has always been the issue and one imagines that is what he’s been working on in the minor leagues. His recall is an opportunity to see him at the NHL level and give him some idea about the gap between the two leagues.

In reading the reactions to my Tyler Bunz item at ON (and a few dms and emails) it sounds like most Oilers fans are happy for the player and look forward to seeing him in an NHL game. There’s no guarantee we see him but chances are he gets a shot between now and the end of the season.

58 Responses to "OILERS RECALL MUSIL"

1. wunderbar says:

We will see him play. If he is up on an emergency basis that means the oilers don’t have enough healthy bodies to fill a roster. He either has to play or get sent back down.

wunderbar:
    We will see him play. If he is up on an emergency basis that means the oilers don’thave enough healthy bodies to fill a roster. He either has to play or get sent back down.

Sure but if Nikitin feels better tomorrow then Musil heads back. There’s no guarantee he plays.

3. Bar_Qu says:

I guess the Oil are just hoping their CHL guys all end their playoffs soon too.

Is Laleggia in OKC yet? I’m sure he can help the hemorrhaging of players there, a little anyways.

4. TheOtherJohn says:

If Musil can skate at an NHL level he will play 200+ games in the show. He is solid at all aspects of the position with exception of footspeed. If he cannot skate well enough, he will be a very good AHL player.

5. admiralmark says:

TheOtherJohn:
    If Musil can skate at an NHL level he will play 200+ games in the show. He is solid at all aspects of the position with exception of footspeed. If he cannot skate well enough,he will be a very good AHL player.

I’ve seen him play only 4x in the last 2 years so take it for what it is. But his foot speed was an absolute detriment every time I saw him. He was beaten wide on several occasions . I honestly couldn’t see him ever making the NHL but I hope he proves me wrong. There’s no doubt he’s better then Nikitin but that’s not saying much.

6. leadfarmer says:

So, um Jeff Petry strikes again. So I think it’s safe to say that he was overrated by Oiler fans.

Winquist 8 (R Hamilton, Stretch) 1-1 OKC and Charlotte in the second period.

Barons Gameday @BaronsGameDay · 4m 4 minutes ago

SCORE!!! Josh Winquist scores his 10th point in last 13 games to tie game 1-1 at 4:47 of the 2nd period. Assists to R. Hamilton & Stretch

9. barry.moore23 says:

I saw something posted the other day that indicated the Oilers were better off (statistically) without Petry and the Habs were worse off (statistically) with him. Is that possible ?? Surely MacT isn’t smarter than all of us here ;). I may have this wrong. Happy Friday, guys.

10. Mr DeBakey says:

Re Petry
    I’m looking at War on Ice for tonight’s NJ game.
    5th most ES TOI
    1 Goal
    ES +/- is 0
    ES +5 Corsi & Fenwick [Montreal is getting out-shot]
    Bum

11. Mr DeBakey says:

barry.moore23: I saw something posted the other day that indicated the Oilers were better off (statistically) without Petry

I think you did
    However
    The Oilers are 4-11-4 without Petry in the line-up.
    They have been out-scored 72-47 in regulation time in those 19 games.

12. Dashingsilverfox says:

The Flames recall Sam Bennett.

13. Pouzar says:

Dashingsilverfox:
    The Flames recall Sam Bennett.

Who gives a shit?

14. Pouzar says:

@slambanna

If you are around.

I am watching the LDN/KIT game and it’s streaming from Rogers and it looks great.
    So is PBO/OSH

Pouzar: Who gives a shit?

Post of the year.

16. Pouzar says:

Lowetide: Post of the year.

In jest of course…I love DSF!

17. v4ance says:

They’re not gonna move the AHL team to Bakersfield. Not really. They’re all gonna be called up on an emergency basis to Edmonton by the end of the season!

Pouzar: In jest of course…I love DSF!

Me too, actually. He’s a good egg. #Easter

19. Dashingsilverfox says:

Pouzar: In jest of course…I love DSF!

The Canucks recall Sven Baertschi..more than 1PPG in the AHL.

20. Pouzar says:

Bored:
    What do the CFL fans think of the new no contact rule past 5 yards from line of scrimmage?

21. Pouzar says:

Dashingsilverfox: The Canucks recall Sven Baertschi..more than 1PPG in the AHL.

My love is not without conditions!

Pouzar:
    Bored:

I think we’re going to see the Redblacks giving up 60 points a few times.

23. Mr DeBakey says:

Lowetide: I think we’re going to see the Redblacks giving up 60 points a few times.

You might, I won’t.
    I’m washing my hair those nights.

24. Pouzar says:

That running start slot receivers get should be interesting now.

25. RicaGreaser says:

Pouzar,

As an ex defender I think it stinks and will be inconsistently enforced just as the NFL saw this past season with the defensive holding calls. Does the CFL really need more offense?

26. Dashingsilverfox says:

Pouzar: My love is not without conditions!

Oh, And Nichushkin is back and looks like a beast.

27. RicaGreaser says:

Mr DeBakey: You might, I won’t.
    I’m washing my hair those nights.

Must be nice. I remember hair…seems to have fallen out around 2006. June 19th, roughly.

28. Pouzar says:

RicaGreaser:
    Pouzar,

Does the CFL need anymore offense? Well I guess that depends on who you are but they are reacting to a defensive trend that hits all sports. I would have like to see how the next few years played out without any rule changes first.

I always thought the running start looked gimmicky but it will be damn hard to defend now with the 5yd no bump rule. Offense sells I guess *shrug*

29. kinger_OIL says:

Sorry late to the party: Anton Lander: Buddy was let go early in the year. He is the “teacher’s pet”, and has been decent for 30 games, interupted by an injury. I cheer for him, and think he is a balanced, decent guy, but whatever, I don’t hang my hat on him, other than to further my narrative on inditing MacT. Most people, given the chance to be play in the NHL when they were 22, would work just as hard as he has. Good for him, but I don’t count on him being a difference maker next year (unless he is Hall’s C). Maybe he can grow into that, that’s his upside I suppose. Glad he’s here, but he isn’t the 3C on any other team in the NHL, based on what he’s done, and he was waived 4 months ago! And our 2C was picked up on waivers this year: Awesome.

I leave with this: the press on his contract at this point in the season was wisely timed, to deflect from the terrible team that has been iced this year. Fans have something else talk about. MacT: deflector – tha’t’s all he’s got at this point in his arch. It would be easy to be the other side: but I’m providing the rational tempered alternative, that I haven’t read. Hope I’m wrong.

Don’t mean to appear mean-spirited: wish I could be have more blind faith, as per fan requirement: I analyze down-side/worste case scenario every day though, and it tempers my fandom – one should form rational alternative views.

Happy Easter Weekend to all. Maybe I’m just cranky after a day with my mother-in-law!

30. Pouzar says:

Dashingsilverfox: You likely don’t want to know that Jamie Benn just scored his 29th and 30th goals of the season and Tyler Seguin has 1G 2A. (and counting)

Oh, And Nichushkin is back and looks like a beast.

I know….Hall and Nurse are dreamy.

31. RicaGreaser says:

Pouzar: I always thought the running start looked gimmicky but it will be damn hard to defend now with the 5yd no bump rule.

If there is a receiver who can’t avoid a DB for 5 yards with a running start he shouldn’t be allowed to play ANY sport…hopscotch included. That bit of contact forcing a route to involve more steps is crucial to disrupting timing, and LT’s Redblacks over of 60 is almost a certainty. If this has the impact I think it will they could look very foolish. I agree it would have been nice to see if it corrected on its own without further confusing the officials.

32. John Chambers says:

Dashingsilverfox:
    The Flames recall Sam Bennett.

Criteria for his call up was a single pull up. He barely chinned the bar.

33. Dashingsilverfox says:

John Chambers: Criteria for his call up was a single pull up. He barely chinned the bar.

Might have had something to do with the shoulder injury he had….just spitballing’ here.

34. Numenius says:

Don’t know if it’s been mentioned here, but did anyone notice how much Calgary got killed in possession against St. Louis last night?

5×5 Corsi SL 59-30 Cal
    5×5 Shots SL 35-12 Cal

It makes the LA game look not so bad.

5×5 Corsi LA 55-46 Edm
    5×5 Shots LA 30-26 Edm.

Yeah, yeah, score effects, yadda yadda. But then why didn’t that help the Flames?

If Bachman is back for the Flames game, I predict an Oilers win.

35. Dashingsilverfox says:

Numenius:

5×5 Corsi SL 59-30 Cal
    5×5 Shots SL 35-12 Cal

It makes the LA game look not so bad.

5×5 Corsi LA 55-46 Edm
    5×5 Shots LA 30-26 Edm.

If Bachman is back for the Flames game, I predict an Oilers win.

Corsi has ZERO predictive ability from game to game.

Dallas is currently thrashing the Blues 60-38 in the Corsi ba