OILERS AT CANUCKS, G82 2014-15

It is the final game day of the season, cloudy, melancholy, miserable. The Edmonton Oilers are spending a generation in the second division and there’s no relief in sight. Craig MacTavish says 80% of the roster is coming back, the team values the things readily available and casts aside that which has value, and there’s no time to think.

We’re one week from the draft lottery, about that time period away from finding out about Matt O’Connor and I’ll bet we see a European or two signed as well in the early days of summer.

BEST FIT FREE AGENTS

Edmonton’s needs are once again ‘up the middle’ and they are real and they are spectacular. Let’s have a lash at MacT’s summer shopping list and find the best solution in free agency.

MACT’S SUMMER 2015 SHOPPING LIST

1. A No.1 goaltender. (Most obvious solution is Antti Niemi, many LT posters favor Michal Neuvirth).
  2. A veteran top-pairing defenseman. (Andrej Sekera would be a very nice solution).
  3. A replacement for Jeff Petry. (Jeff Petry is available. After that, Cody Franson is an interesting option)
  4. A 2line C with experience and the ability to play a two-way game. (Carl Soderberg is an underrated option, Derek Roy available).
  5. Trade Justin Schultz. (Not applicable to the current conversation)

Would the addition of Neuvirth, Sekera, Franson and Soderberg be enough? Goaltending is voodoo but I think we can count on a regression to the mean from Scrivens and Neuvirth could be a real find. I like the defensive additions, especially if it pushes back the veterans. The Soderberg addition would be a stroke of real hockey acumen, as he could play a variety of roles and move down the lineup when Leon Draisaitl emerges. Soderberg is badly undervalued by the boxcars because he played with role players and checkers on a transitional Bruins team this year.

There’s real value here, but the Oilers (since forever) don’t ‘get the guy’ on defense. I’d love to see them come home with Franson and Sekera, but suspect it’ll be Green and Adam McQuaid.

THE 50-MAN LIST (PROJECTED)

A few people have asked me about this list, what I see happening to the players Edmonton has to make a decision on this summer. Here’s a lash, with the players in question addressed:

1. G Ben Scrivens
  2. G Laurent Brossoit
  3. G Tyler Bunz (RFA)
  4. G Frans Tuohimaa (RFA)
  5. D Nikita Nikitin
  6. D Justin Schultz (RFA—prediction: signed to a deal that reflects no growth)
  7. D Mark Fayne
  8. D Andrew Ference
  9. D Oscar Klefbom
  10. D Martin Marincin (RFA—prediction: signed to a one-year deal or traded)
  11. D Keith Aulie (RFA)
  12. D Brad Hunt (RFA)
  13. D Jordan Oesterle
  14. D Brandon Davidson (RFA—prediction: signed to a two-way deal, generous AHL portion)
  15. D Dillon Simpson
  16. D Martin Gernat (Note: If they can find a way, I think he’s dealt)
  17. D David Musil
  18. D Darnell Nurse
  19. D Ben Betker (newly signed)
  20. D Joey Laleggia (newly signed)
  21. C Ryan Nugent-Hopkins
  22. C Anton Lander (newly signed and bona fide)
  23. C Boyd Gordon
  24. C Leon Draisaitl
  25. C Bogdan Yakimov
  26. C Jujhar Khaira
  27. C Travis Ewanyk
  28. C Kellen Lain (RFA)
  29. C Kyle Platzer (newly signed)
  30. L Taylor Hall
  31. L Benoit Pouliot
  32. L Matt Hendricks
  33. L Luke Gazdic
  34. L Matt Fraser (RFA—prediction: signed to a two-way deal)
  35. L Ryan Hamilton
  36. L Curtis Hamilton (RFA)
  37. L Mitch Moroz
  38. L Kale Kessy
  39. R Jordan Eberle
  40. R Nail Yakupov (RFA—prediction: signed to a one year bridge deal)
  41. R Teddy Purcell
  42. R Rob Klinkhammer
  43. R Iiro Pakarinen
  44. R Tyler Pitlick (RFA—prediction: signed to a reasonable one-way deal)
  45. R Greg Chase
  46. R Andrew Miller (RFA—prediction: signed to a two-way deal, generous AHL portion)

I have six RFA’s being sent away, plus Gernat if they can, but we’ll assume 40 men and true are on the roster when procurement hits. MacT has made decisions on a few of the 2013 draft picks but Marco Roy and Anton Slepyshev remain, plus Jackson Houck. John McCarron and Daniil Zharkov are distant bells that may come into view. Let’s say the Oilers sign Roy and Slepyshev, meaning they’re at 42. Add O’Connor, a Russian defender of some fame from the KHL, Neuvirth, Sekera, Franson and Soderberg? We’re at 48.

Three-for-one, dammit. Make it happen, MacT!

THE 60 BEST PLAYERS IN THE 2015 DRAFT

We’re about 11 weeks from my final list, so please understand it’s a process. You may have arrived at a certain conclusion but you’re simply going to have to give me time. This is a fascinating draft, each time I look at it there’s another layer to consider. I’m fairly convinced the Oilers will keep the Pittsburgh pick, no matter tonight’s result in the Penguins game. Why? There’s just too much. I know you don’t want to hear this, but the Edmonton Oilers—if they do things right—may walk away with three insane prospects.

This draft—seriously—has the potential to be the Oilers’ best draft since 1980. Honestly. Three bullets, ladies. Three.

1. (1)C Connor McDavid, Erie Otters (OHL) 47GP, 33-40-73 (1.55 at even strength)
  2. (2)C Jack Eichel, Boston U (NCAA) 38GP, 16-27-43 (1.13 at even strength)
  3. (3)R Mitch Marner, London Knights (OHL) 63GP, 25-37-62 (0.98 at even strength)
  4. (5)D Noah Hanifin, Boston College (NCAA) 37GP, 4-9-13 (0.35 at even strength)
  5. (4)C Dylan Strome, Erie Otters (OHL) 68GP, 31-48-79 (1.16 at even strength)
  6. (6) D Ivan Provorov, Brandon Wheat Kings (WHL) 60GP, 7-21-28 (0.47 at even strength)
  7. (7) R Evgeni Svechnikov, Cape Breton (QMJHL) 55GP, 22-29-51 (0.93 at even strength)
  8. (8) D Zach Werenski, Michigan (NCAA) 35GP, 6-7-13 (0.37 at even strength)
  9. (9) C Mathew Barzal, Seattle Thunderbirds (WHL) 44GP, 9-25-34 (0.77 at even strength)
  10. (10) D Oliver Kylington, Farjestad (SHL). 18GP, 2-3-5 (.278)
  11. (11) R Mikko Rantanen, TPS Turku (SML) 56gP, 9-19-28 (.500)
  12. (15) R Timo Meier, Halifax Mooseheads (QMJHL) 61GP, 21-34-55 (0.90 at even strength)
  13. (18) C Travis Konecny, Ottawa 67’s (OHL) 60GP, 22-26-48 (0.80 at even strength)
  14. (14) C Jansen Harkins, Prince George Cougars (WHL) 70GP, 16-36-52 (0.74 at even strength)
  15. (12) C Nick Merkley, Kelowna Rockets (WHL) 72GP, 12-34-46 (0.64 at even strength)
  16. (13) C Anthony Beauvillier, Shawinigan Cataractes (QMJHL) 67GP, 22-21-43 (0.64 at even strength)
  17. (16) R Daniel Sprong, Charlottetown Islanders (QMJHL) 68GP, 23-24-47 (0.69 at even strength)
  18. (21) D Mitchell Vande Sompel, Oshawa (OHL) 58GP, 6-24-30 (0.52 at even strength)
  19. (17) C Kyle Connor, Youngstown (USHL) 50GP, 29-40-69 (1.38)
  20. (19) L Jake Debrusk, Swift Current (WHL) 72GP, 26-23-49 (0.68 at even strength)
  21. (24) D Ryan Pilon, Brandon (WHL) 68GP, 7-24-31 (0.46 at even strength)
  22. (20) D Jeremy Roy, Sherbrooke Phoenix (QMJHL) 46GP, 5-12-17 (0.37 at even strength)
  23. (25) C Andrew Mangiapane, Barrie (OHL) 68GP, 23-26-49 (0.72 at even strength)
  24. (26) G Daniel Vladar, Kladno (Czech 2) 8GP, 1.97 .933
  25. (28) C Filip Chlapik, Charlotteteown Islanders (QMJHL) 64GP, 23-22-45 (0.70 at even strength)
  26. (27) R Blake Speers, SSM Greyhounds (OHL) 57GP, 14-25-39 (0.68 at even strength)
  27. (23) L Lawson Crouse, Kingston Frontenacs (OHL) 56GP, 19-13-32 (0.57 at even strength)
  28. (22) C Pavel Zacha, Sarnia Sting (OHL). 37GP, 10-9-19 (0.51 at even strength)
  29. (35) L Paul Bittner, Portland Winterhawks (WHL)  66GP, 23-24-47 (0.71 at even strength)
  30. (30) D Travis Dermott, Erie Otters (OHL) 61GP, 4-19-23 (0.38 at even strength)
  31. (34) R Brock Boeser, Waterloo Blachawks (USHL) 53GP, 31-29-60 (1.13)
  32. (29) L Dennis Yan, Shawinigan Cataractes (QMJHL) 59GP, 33-31-64 (1.08)
  33. (31) R Jens Looke, Brynas (SHL) 43GP, 2-4-6 (.139)
  34. (40) D Ethan Bear, Seattle Thunderbirds (WHL) 69GP, 13-25-38 (.551)
  35. (32) R Nikita Korostelev, Sarnia Sting (OHL) 55GP, 24-29-53 (0.96)
  36. (42) C-R Jeremy Bracco, USNTDP (USHL) 24GP, 14-18-32 (1.33)
  37. (33) D Jakub Zboril, Saint John Sea Dogs (QMJHL) 44GP, 13-20-33 (0.75)
  38. (38) D Thomas Chabot, Saint John Seadogs (QMJHL) 66GP, 12-29-41 (.621)
  39. (36) L Dmytro Timashov, Quebec Remparts (QMJHL) 66GP, 19-71-90 (1.36)
  40. (37) C Nathan Noel, Saint John Sea Dogs (QMJHL) 66GP, 24-38-62 (0.94)
  41. (39) D Nicolas Meloche, Baie-Comeau (QMJHL) 44GP, 10-24-34 (.773)
  42. (41) G Matej Tomek, Topeka Roadrunners (NAHL) 31GP, 1.71 .932
  43. (43) C Joel Eriksson Ek, Farjestad (QMJHL) 34GP, 4-2-6 (.176)
  44. (44) C-R Roope Hintz, Ilves (SML) 42GP, 5-12-17 (.405)
  45. (45) F Colin White, USNTDP (USHL) 20GP, 4-13-17 (.850)
  46. (46) D Matt Spencer, Peterborough Petes (OHL) 66GP, 6-24-30 (.455)
  47. (47) F Filip Ahl, HV-71 (SHL) 15GP, 0-2-2 (.133)
  48. (48) C Dante Salituro, Ottawa 67’s (OHL) 68GP, 37-41-78 (1.15)
  49. (49) L Ryan Gropp, Seattle Thunderbirds (WHL) 67GP, 30-28-58 (.866)
  50. (50) L Vladimir Tkachev, Quebec Remparts (QMJHL) 46GP, 16-33-49 (1.07)
  51. (51) D Rasmus Andersson, Barrie (OHL) 66GP, 12-42-64 (.970)
  52. (52) C Tyler Soy, Victoria Royals (WHL) 69GP, 28-35-63 (.913)
  53. (53) C Nicolas Roy, Chicoutimi Sagueneens (QMJHL) 68GP, 16-34-50 (.735)
  54. (55) R Zach Senyshyn, SSM Greyhounds (OHL) 66GP, 26-19-45 (.682)
  55. (56) L Graham Knott, Niagra Ice Dogs (OHL) 59GP, 25-18-43 (.729)
  56. (57) G Mackenzie Blackwood, Barrie Colts (OHL) 51GP, 3.09 .906
  57. (58) D Noah Juulsen, Everett Silvertips (WHL) 68GP, 9-43-52 (.765)
  58. (59) D Jacob Larsson, Frolunda (SHL) 20GP, 1-2-3 (.150)
  59. (60) G Michael McNiven, Owen Sound Attack (OHL) 23GP, 2.78 .914
  60. (NR) L Erik Foley, Cedar Rapids (USHL)

The Oilers (as of this morning) choose No. 3, No. 13, No. 33, No. 59 and No. 77. If I were king of the world, I’d choose:

• No. 3: R Mitch Marner
  • No. 13: D Oliver Kylington (a blue could fall, reasonably)
  • No. 33: C Nathan Noel
  • No. 59: D Ethan Bear
  • No. 77: G Matej Tomek

I love this draft. I didn’t choose a center in the first round and didn’t choose a big forward at all—why? The Oilers have center future covered in Nuge, Leon and Lander. The big forwards in this draft are (Strome excepted) badly overrated (I have Zacha and Crouse extremely low and suspect they’ll both be lower by my final list) considering the enormous offensive talent available. I did take two defensemen but these are outstanding talents.

The options are endless. If they take Hanifin, chances are Barzal would be available with the Pittsburgh pick! It sounds crazy but the Oilers should be able to draft an impact D and C in the first round no matter who  goes first!

Pittsburgh must lose tonight. MUST!

411 Responses to "OILERS AT CANUCKS, G82 2014-15"

« Older CommentsNewer Comments »
  1. dangilitis says:

Gaudreau and Giordano had signed a bunch of jumbo player cards to give to patients, and apparently there were extras. They had been sitting around for awhile, nobody wanted them. Someone offered them to me, I said I would probably throw them out, they said that was fine because they would have been thrown out any ways. I waited until a day in which I could really use a pick me up. Today was that day (BTW, they looked good sitting next to last week’s uneaten leftovers)

2. G Money says:

Oh please.

I get why we have to explain those to newbies, but why regular readers? Do you take your brains and set them on fire each weekend and have to start from scratch each time?

The point of it is to identify which is a repeatable skill and which is not.

Teams with powerful EV CF% (or EV FF% or whatever) tend to stay powerful. It has high sustain, including into the post season.

Almost nothing else does.

Goaltending is by far and away the easiest way to over or underperform Corsi. But there are very few truly elite goaltenders, far fewer than appear to be elite within a single season. Sv% has minimal sustain year over year (r2 ~ 0.35).

Teams that ride high sh% (e.g. CGY) are even more in coinflip territory, since team sh% has even less sustain.

Overtime and shootout records are coinflips at the best of times. To suggest that a team like Van could add one shootout specialist and suddenly go from 5-7 to 6-2 is outright stupid. That’s a difference in a coinflip. And of course, those records have no relevance in the post-season, where there is no SO and OT is no longer a 4×4 venture.

And of course, there is no accounting for injuries (or lack thereof).

Let’s repeat this for the brains-on-fire people:

– EVERY YEAR, some teams will radically over or underperform their shot metrics. So has it always been so will it always be. You haven’t suddenly found a new weakness in the metric
    – Goaltending is the easiest way to do this. But unless you are one of the teams with truly elite goaltending, you are likely riding a one year trick pony
    – Even more true if you are riding team sh%

The one thing that shot metrics DO NOT account for that is likely to be a repeatable skill is special teams. A mediocre EV Corsi team could presumably override their results a lot if they have a top notch PP and PK (though it’s tough to see that happening consistently either). But of course, in the post-season, the refs tend to put their whistles away. So you’re back to the pendulum far in favour of the powerful EV Corsi teams.

And of course … injuries.

3. RexLibris says:

Dashingsilverfox,

Completely agree on the necessity to pay due attention to a number of statistical categories.

My frustration is when those who seek to criticize analytics use a single example of a single statistical category in their argument and fail completely in comprehending the concept behind the analtyics movement, namely that all the categories together help to colour in some of the grey areas of the game.

4. Marc says:

Woodguy:
    I’ve done my part:

I suggest you all do the same if that is your wont.

The Pittsburgh announcers just noted that Fleury has a particularly poor record in the second game of a back to back.

I think the gords look approvingly on your offering…

5. dangilitis says:

“MACT’S
    SUMMER
    2015
    SHOPPING
    LIST
    Trade Justin Schultz. (Not applicable to the current conversation)”

That’s the first time I have seen you have just come right out and said this, even though we can read between the lines. To me, this is the right answer, if him and his agent expect a contract that does not befit a 4-6 D man. If so, then trade him for whatever you can. To me, this is a case of overvaluing his future progress and of his current value to the team.

It’s like finding a $5 bill on the ground, and then realizing it has been urinated on. Once you’ve picked it up, you don’t just hold onto it because it’s found money, right?

6. Tire Fire says:

NYCOIL “Taking Photos”,

Hey, cool. And a handy shortcut to me researching with my own brain. Another place to add to the wish list. I’ll have a look at your other postings as well for more ideas. I think they had some cool ideas in the South American episodes of that “Departures” Canadian show, too.

Interestingly, exact same average temperature in Positano and Buenos Aires in that time of year.

7. NYCOIL "Taking Photos" says:

Tire Fire,

Sure, no problem. Also I’m missing about 30 countries off my actual been-to list there so hit me up with any questions any time. The link I sent you to has two more parts, plus there are two separate day trips from Buenos Aires and also three posts about Iguazu for you as well. One stop shopping. Haha.

8. speeds says:

Let’s say PIT doesn’t make it to the 3rd round, and if they miss the playoffs, the pick doesn’t win the lottery. That would leave the pick somewhere between 14-17.

Is the value of that pick high enough that it’s unlikely to be traded, in your mind? Obviously it could be traded, but given the players that seem likely to be available, do you think it’s likely to be moved instead of drafting a player?

9. NYCOIL "Taking Photos" says:

dangilitis,

You know, it’s funny. I was harping on about the Schultz contract overpay last summer and also mentioned I was worried about him this year based on a mutual acquaintance who grew up playing with him in Kelowna’s summer report.

Those fears were justified. But I don’t want to trade him. I don’t think he has Norris potential but he has a skill the current Oilers lack dearly. The only problem is he has so many deficiencies that offset this skill. What he needs is a serious off-season regimen, a strong veteran partner next season, and another one year deal to make him hungry. But they need to get it out of the way early and hold him to the same standard as Marincin: train in Edmonton under our eyes. Only in his case he needs tons of on-ice work with a guy like, Damn it, Charlie Huddy.

Only thing is 3.675m was 1m too much last year so you’ve screwed the pooch. I’d make like I’m taking him to arbitration but sign him for the same money.

That’s unless someone overpays for him on the trade market but I just can’t see it.

10. G Money says:

NYCOIL “Taking Photos”,

That’s the real issue. Jultz may yet turn into a useful player (though time is running out). He can be given that chance on the third pairing with a veteran partner. The problem is, he now costs too much for a development project (and of course, a whole different issue as to whether MacT could ever find a viable partner anyway).

11. Ca$h-Money! says:

Woodguy,

Writer’s Tears was a nice choice.

12. nelson88 says:

NYCOIL “Taking Photos”: Also, I don’t intend this as a plug here, I make no money off it and it’s just a passion of mine so hopefully LT forgives me, but I have a whole series of stuff on Argentina you can read…starting maybe with this one. It should give you a feel for what you’d be looking at.

Interesting site. What years were you in Tokyo working in the financial services industry? You may know a buddy of mine (Ron). Canadian, went to UBC and worked for BNP from about 2002 – 2007. I

TireFire – will add my voice to the BA vote as well as Patagonia and other areas or Argentina. Spent about 6 months there in 2007 and loved it. Check out a restaurant called “Osaka” if you do hit BA

13. Rocknrolla says:

The Pens announcers are massive homers….kind of fun to listen to. He actually mentioned Malkin hasn’t scored in 9 games and said ” On this 4 on 4 would be a great time….come on Geno!”

#OKCBarons lines:
    R.Hamilton-Williams-Miller
    Winquist-Stretch-Pinizzotto
    K.Jones-C.Jones-Ford
    Moroz-Ewanyk-Winchester

Hunt-Pageau
    Oesterle-Ludwig
    Simpson-LaLeggia
    Brossoit in net.

15. NYCOIL "Taking Photos" says:

nelson88,

Hmm. Ron at BNP. And fellow UBC alum to boot. I didn’t meet many Canadians in finance while I was there. I was there 2000-2011 for work. Maybe shoot me his last name? gentlemanbackpacker@gmail.com
    I can search for him on LinkedIn and see if we had mutual connections.

16. Marc says:

Rocknrolla:
    The Pens announcers are massive homers….kind of fun to listen to.He actually mentioned Malkin hasn’t scored in 9 games and said ” On this 4 on 4 would be a great time….come on Geno!”

I think the real nadir was when they described this sloppy, mistake filled first period as ‘tactical, like a chess match’. We’ve apparently been watching a lot of chess this year in Edmonton.

17. Marc says:

Lindback’s puck handling makes Scrivens look like Brodeur.

18. Dashingsilverfox says:

G Money:

Oh please.

I get why we have to explain those to newbies, but why regular readers?Do you take your brains and set them on fire each weekend and have to start from scratch each time?

The point of it is to identify which is a repeatable skill and which is not.

Teams with powerful EV CF% (or EV FF% or whatever) tend to stay powerful.It has high sustain, including into the post season.

Almost nothing else does.

Goaltending is by far and away the easiest way to over or underperform Corsi.But there are very few truly elite goaltenders, far fewer than appear to be elite within a single season.Sv% has minimal sustain year over year (r2 ~ 0.35).

Overtime and shootout records are coinflips at the best of times.To suggest that a team like Van could add one shootout specialist and suddenly go from 5-7 to 6-2 is outright stupid.That’s a difference in a coinflip.And of course, those records have no relevance in the post-season, where there is no SO and OT is no longer a 4×4 venture.

And of course, there is no accounting for injuries (or lack thereof).

Let’s repeat this for the brains-on-fire people:

– EVERY YEAR, some teams will radically over or underperform their shot metrics.So has it always been so will it always be.You haven’t suddenly found a new weakness in the metric
    – Goaltending is the easiest way to do this.But unless you are one of the teams with truly elite goaltending, you are likely riding a one year trick pony
    – Even more true if you are riding team sh%

The one thing that shot metrics DO NOT account for that is likely to be a repeatable skill is special teams.A mediocre EV Corsi team could presumably override their results a lot if they have a top notch PP and PK (though it’s tough to see that happening consistently either).But of course, in the post-season, the refs tend to put their whistles away.So you’re back to the pendulum far in favour of the powerful EV Corsi teams.

And of course … injuries.

Loudest kid on the playground again I see.

I’ll make sure to call Benning and tell him you think he is stupid.

You’ve managed to outline quite a few factors that the ameliorate Corsi but there are even more…for example, teams that excel at shot blocking may have a poor Corsi but decent results.

Scott Cullen took a look at why the Kings missed the playoffs today:

The thing is, it’s not like the Kings collapsed. They were the league’s top possession club (getting 54.9% of score-adjusted shot attempts) and still have the 13th-best goal differential (+0.22 per game), which is better than three playoff teams (Anaheim, Detroit and Vancouver).

How does a team with those underlying numbers still end up on the outside looking in at the playoffs?
    For starters, the Kings were 2-8 in shootouts and 1-7 in overtime games. Given the randomness involved in shootout results, that’s basically coming out on the wrong end of coin flips. 3-15 in overtime and shootout games, after going 12-8 the year before, is enough in tightly-contested standings, to come up short.

Records in one-goal games tend to be unsustainable, but there’s enough of them in hockey that they make a huge difference in the standings.

The overtime/shootout results could be overcome if the Kings were still as dominant possession-wise as they had been the year before but, even as league leaders, Los Angeles’ possession stats declined, from 57.2% of score adjusted shot attempts last season to less than 55% this season.

While I agree with Cullen that shootout tend to be random, you CAN maximize your chances by acquiring players who excel in that discipline to replace players who aren’t.

Speaking of the Kings…

Larry Brooks just published a column that indicates trouble in paradise:

“Slap Shots has been told by two sources that the Kings locked the door to their locker room following a defeat on the road within the last two weeks so that Sutter could not get in and deliver what the players apparently expected to be another in a series of lectures/tirades.

As the tale was told, after Sutter finally tracked down an arena operative to unlock the door, he was greeted by three heavy waste receptacles lined up as barricade to what had become an empty room.”

G Money,

Whiskey.

Is there anything it can’t do?

20. NYCOIL "Taking Photos" says:

Dashingsilverfox,

Speculation was it was after Edmonton, for obvious reasons.

But for me the most important part of that article was this one:
    “NHLPA executive director Don Fehr told agents in a series of meetings last week that next year’s cap would be approximately $68.2 million if the union does not trigger the 5-percent escalator, attendees report. That would represent a decrease from the current $69 million that would cripple successful big market teams.”

12.25M or 17% of the cap tied up in a third line winger, and your injury prone 6/7th defenseman and a small, old 6/7th defenseman. #BecauseOilers

Hunt from ford and Pageau, who appears to be a good player 1-0 OKc.

I read somewhere that Sutter will return which makes sense because they’re a very well run team that couldn’t overcome real and difficult challenges.

G Money,

This is the key.

Probability doesn’t equal destiny.

However, if you read this: http://becauseoilers.blogspot.ca/2015/01/shot-attempt-data-doesnt-predict-who.html

You’d know that shot metrics are pretty powerful to predict who wins The Cup.

I know DSF has read it and understands it.

He just likes to poke holes.

Its good because it makes us re-examine what we know.

Its bad because it gets tiresome.

Eric Rodgers @ericrsports · 4m 4 minutes ago

5:08 the time, Pageau with his first career @TheAHL goal assisted by Ford and Ewanyk. Huge steal by Ewanyk to start the play. #OKCBarons

25. dangilitis says:

Looks like Jamie Benn will be your Art Ross Trophy winner, with 2 goals already…

Good for Canadian hockey to have Tavares, Crosby and Benn (and Seguin would have been in there too) topping the list of season point scorers.

26. LadiesloveSmid says:

Come on, Buffalo! Only time I’m calling on ya!

27. dangilitis says:

LadiesloveSmid:
    Come on, Buffalo! Only time I’m calling on ya!

It’s likely not going to matter. Boston losing to TBL and continuing their implosion.

I will take solace in the fact that Pittsburgh will likely lose to NYR in the 1st round, and the Oilers will end up with a 3rd/4th and a 16th pick instead of what we all thought might have been a 25-30th pick in January.

Power play goal by Matthew Ford, assisted by LaLeggia and Williams! LaLeggia’s first @TheAHL point! 3-0 #OKCBarons lead.

Eric Rodgers @ericrsports · 3m 3 minutes ago

#OKCBarons GOAL!!!! Ryan Hamilton to Jordan Oesterle for the re-direct and another shorthanded goal in the first period!

30. dangilitis says:

I think the drafting of D over the last 5 years has been really undervalued by many, and overshadowed by the mishandling of Schultz and trading of Petry. That ain’t on Stu. If we had lost out on Schultz to Vancouver, would he be a different D-man or would he have been handled differently? And would we have had a better chance at DeKeyser?

31. jake70 says:

Boston – Tampa tied 1-1 in 2nd. PItts up 1-0 on Buffalo after 2.

32. dangilitis says:

If Detroit finishes off Carolina, then it’s Ottawa vs. Montreal in 1st round. Anyone taking Montreal here? If Hammond neutralizes the awesomeness of Price, I think Ottawa’s F/D are going to take care of the rest…

33. Dashingsilverfox says:

Woodguy:
    G Money,

This is the key.

Probability doesn’t equal destiny.

You’d know that shot metrics are pretty powerful to predict who wins The Cup.

I know DSF has read it and understands it.

He just likes to poke holes.

Its good because it makes us re-examine what we know.

Its bad because it gets tiresome.

There are so many holes…

What is tiresome is the religious fervour that surrounds “fancy stats”.

You may recall I did a post early in the season that compared using raw shot F/A as opposed to Corsi and Fenwick to predict success and the raw shot data was actually better.

I’ll do the same thing tomorrow once the season is over.

34. Dashingsilverfox says:

dangilitis:

What a nail biter…Crosby and Tavares are still playing tonight.

I recall Crosby was asked “if you were starting a team which player in the NHL would you build a team around?”

He answered Jamie Benn.

It would seem Sid knows a thing or two about winning, if ever there was a concern.

HUZZAH!

35. Dashingsilverfox says:

NYCOIL “Taking Photos”:
    Dashingsilverfox,

Speculation was it was after Edmonton, for obvious reasons.

But for me the most important part of that article was this one:

12.25M or 17% of the cap tied up in a third line winger,and your injury prone 6/7th defenseman and a small, old 6/7th defenseman. #BecauseOilers

I guess it’s fair to say that Sutter has “lost the room”…literally.

36. Dashingsilverfox says:

Tavares scores…now the leader.

37. Derek says:

Oh my god Buffalo is really, really bad at hockey.

38. Gret99zky says:

Giant Squid Overlord,

Keep your powder dry.

Nothing rhymes.

39. Derek says:

I’m fairly indifferent to Belgium.

Get yer shine box!

The legend of Stan Weir.

40. Dashingsilverfox says:

Sugar Tits

41. leadfarmer says:

Dashingsilverfox,

I’ve been saying it for years. Benn is the best LW in the league and a lot of Seguin’s lead in points over Hall is he gets to play with Benn while Hall doesn’t. It’s called the Jamie Benn effect, don’t believe me? Ask Loui Erickson about it. He single handedly tilts the ice downhill. Now if they can find him some defensemen to play with.

42. hunter1909 says:

hunter1909:
    A smart GM might try getting Sutter from the Penguins for a 3rd round pick + low end prospect.

Looks like tonight’s announcement of the Hunter1909’s Oilers 2014-5 Death March Final Winners brought Sutter magic to the fore.

43. Dashingsilverfox says:

leadfarmer:
    Dashingsilverfox,

I’ve been saying it for years.Benn is the best LW in the league and a lot of Seguin’s lead in points over Hall is he gets to play with Benn while Hall doesn’t.It’s called the Jamie Benn effect, don’t believe me? Ask Loui Erickson about it.He single handedly tilts the ice downhill.Now if they can find him some defensemen to play with.

The D are coming.

All of Klingberg,Nemeth and Jokkipakka are blue chip.

They could use a solid veteran to help and, of course, they need better goaltending.

I’m guessing Nill will address those needs in the offseason…he has lots of cap space with Erik Cole and Horcoff”s contracts gone.

44. hunter1909 says:

Dashingsilverfox: The D are coming.

All of Klingberg,Nemeth and Jokkipakka are blue chip.

Please talk about what you think MacT KLowe and the other Oiler managers are doing.

45. TemujinBC says:

Nice goal for Landon Ferraro, and his dad is cutting onions on twitter. Great stuff

46. OilSafety says:
  47. hunter1909 says:

Pittsburgh makes the playoffs, and Oilers miss out on a 1/100 shot at MacDavid.

What do the end up with, a 2nd 1st round pick at around 20? Not bad.

Compared to 27th or worse, like the Pens management were thinking the day they got Perron, its worked out really well.

48. Dashingsilverfox says:

hunter1909:
    Pittsburgh makes the playoffs, and Oilers miss out on a 1/100 shot at MacDavid.

What do the end up with, a 2nd 1st round pick at around 20? Not bad.

Is that progress?

49. Lois Lowe says:

Dashingsilverfox,

I love when you change teams.

You used to be all about Mike Gillis, then it was Dale Tallon, now it’s Jim Nill. At least you’re consistent.

50. Dashingsilverfox says:

Lois Lowe:
    Dashingsilverfox,

I love when you change teams.

I like all the successful guys.

Why wouldn’t I?

When you become a Fan Free Agent ® you’re free to admire success wherever you see it.

51. Dashingsilverfox says:

Tavares with an assist.

Benn needs 2 points to win.

52. thejonrmcleod says:

Friedman reports that Mactavish says all four of Hall, Eberle, RNH, and Yak will return next season.

53. speeds says:

hunter1909:
    Pittsburgh makes the playoffs, and Oilers miss out on a 1/100 shot at MacDavid.

What do the end up with, a 2nd 1st round pick at around 20? Not bad.

With DET and PIT both winning, the PIT pick will be 16th if PIT loses in the first two rounds, unless CGY makes the final 4 and PIT loses in the first two rounds, in which case the pick would be 15th. If PIT makes the final 4, the pick would be 27-30.

thejonrmcleod:

Well, amen to that.

55. meanashell11 says:

NYCOIL "Taking Photos",

You did not meet many Canadians in finance in NYC?

56. Lois Lowe says:

Dashingsilverfox,

Mike Gillis certainly did well in the Schneider and Luongo deals. And considering that both Tallon’s team and Nill’s missed the playoffs this year…I’d say you have an Oilers model of ‘success’.

Dashingsilverfox: There are so many holes…

What is tiresome is the religious fervour that surrounds “fancy stats”.

I’ll do the same thing tomorrow once the season is over.

Firetruck.

Lowetide: Well, amen to that.

Friedeman also reports that after thinking about it, MacT won’t take his own eye out with a rusty spoon.

Well, amen to that.

I think.

Dashingsilverfox: The Oilers traded a 10th overall pick for Perron and then traded Perron for a 20th overall pick.

Is that progress?

Lowetide: It’s like watching a crazy, brilliant driver on the freeway careening in and out of traffic. Why do it? No idea.

Why did MacT trade Perron for a pick? Liquidity of an asset.

Why does DSF do what he does? Drunk driver.

61. G Money says:

Dashingsilverfox: Loudest kid on the playground again I see.

Caution on loudness is to avoid overriding newbies – not the Deceptive, the Sophists, or the deliberately Fallacious.

It is somewhat ironic, then, that the rest of your post essentially is a rehash of everything that I previously posted. Tired of being wrong, or the mathematics of it passed you by? (Though that clearly happened a long time ago)

Woodguy: Its bad because it gets tiresome.

Tiresome was in the rearview mirror years ago. Trolls don’t normally have this much stamina. I suspect illness, have for quite a while.

Craig MacTavish is no longer in my shit house. Well he is, but not in the basement.

63. Dashingsilverfox says:

Lois Lowe:
    Dashingsilverfox,

Nill took over the Stars at the same time as MacT took over the Oilers and improved his team from (pro rated) 82 points to 91 points and, likely, 91 points in his two seasons.

Tallon has been hamstrung by ownership issues but now has a billionaire with deep pockets and improved his team from 66 points to 91 points in one season.

MacT has presided over a team that fell from (pro rated) 76 points to 67 points and now, likely, 61 points.

One of these teams is headed in the wrong direction.

That is certainly not the Oilers “Model of Failure”

64. Rocknrolla says:

thejonrmcleod,

Just saw that….There’s MacT telegraphing his plan again….Tell, the players so they feel safe but don’t tell the media….you man you wouldn’t listen to a trade for anything as a 28th place team?

Asinine.

65. Lois Lowe says:

Dashingsilverfox,

You’re so cute when you’re grasping at straws.

66. fifthcartel says:

Anyone else notice no Schultz inclusion of the ‘core’? Feels like he’s been mentioned every time before.

67. Dashingsilverfox says:

Lois Lowe:
    Dashingsilverfox,

You’re so cute when you’re grasping at straws.

And, when I’m right
    🙂

68. Dashingsilverfox says:

So, Boston misses the playoffs…so who shakes loose?

69. Dashingsilverfox says:

Woodguy: Firetruck.

Talisker (X3)

70. frjohnk says:

That is great news.

I wonder how much hockey the writer of that story actually watches.

“With these four players ranging in age from 21 to 24, MacTavish and co. appear prepared to hold the line, hoping these onetime blue-chip prospects turn into gold.”

-We all know a healthy Taylor Hall is one of the best LW’ers in the game.

-RNH is a bonafide NUMBER F&*CKING 1 CENTER, RIGHT F*&CKING NOW BITCHES (Hrudey did you hear that?)

-Jordan Eberle is the 7th highest scoring RWer since the beginning of 2010.

These 3 guys are already gold. Does the writer know this? Does not seem like it.

We wait for Nail to turn into gold.

So is MacT.

That’s beautiful.

71. kinger_OIL says:

Come on – didnt he say he was getting Ralph some help? And that Dallas was his “10 year coach”

#OKCBarons GOAL!!! Andrew Miller one-times a pass from Hunt and he makes it a 5-0 game!

73. rickithebear says:

Woodguy: Firetruck.

Every young boy loved to “chase’a firetruck.

WG passion with stats is the same!

Could G F/A and EVGA EVGF be the new “firetruck”

74. Rocknrolla says:

Here’s video link of Friedman and exactly how he said it. Interesting other items in this clip as well.

Dashingsilverfox: Talisker (X3)

76. Dashingsilverfox says:

Woodguy: 1

2 more seasons of agony for you.

77. frjohnk says:

Rocknrolla:
    Here’s video link of Friedman and exactly how he said it.Interesting other items in this clip as well.

Kings are probably thinking hockey gords have something against them.

First don’t make playoffs.

And next year they have to deal with a cap that shrinks or at best barely budges.

78. Gerta Rauss says:

Providence wins the Frozen Four tourney 4-3 with 2 late goals, 1 of them a pop fly from center.

79. TemujinBC says:

Well to be fair, the Canucks are resting their starter in favor of Miller

80. frjohnk says:

Gerta Rauss:

A goalie let in a soft one from center?

That has oilers written all over it.

Sign the guy whoever he is.

81. Dashingsilverfox says:

Benn scores!

82. elphy101 says:

I think I have figured it out. DSF is MacT trolling Oilers fans in his free time as his actions as GM haven’t tortured fans enough.

83. G Money says:

frjohnk: Sign the guy whoever he is.

84. frjohnk says:

elphy101:

DSF is Eakins

85. frjohnk says:

G Money: I’m not sure if you know this (you might be being sarcastic), but it is in fact Matt O’Connor, and the Oilers really do want to sign him!

Yeah. I know. Been drinking a few already

86. G Money says:

frjohnk: Kings are probably thinking hockey gords have something against them.

First don’t make playoffs.

I cheer any and all misfortune that befalls the Kings hockey club.

I hate their style of hockey.

I blame them for stealing Gretzky. I WAS IN FUCKING LA WHEN IT HAPPENED.

I blame McNall and his stolen money being the kicking off point of salary escalation that led to the deconstruction of the dynasty Oilers.

Fuck them, and the tinsel covered horses they rode in on.

87. Dashingsilverfox says:

Benn gets an assist with 8 seconds left and wins the Art Ross.

HUZZAH!!!!!

Brossoit shut out, Yakupov and Eberle scoring for the big team.

89. Ice Sage says:

Lowetide, thank you for your moderation, in every sense of the word, this season.

For the first time in several years, I have a sense of ‘having turned the corner for real’ at the end of all things:

– Yak, Poo, Nuge, MM, Lander are really better
    – the talent coming up, that has been properly fermented, is more than promising, it’s real (Nurse, #1, maybe Pitts#1 this year, Yak2, LegLegs, LB)
    – Nelson is a real, undeniable, positive influence – again, he’s earned his opportunity (whether it’s as HC or AC) and will keep the momentum moving forward
    – something about luck and percentages swinging in our favour

Goil.

90. Ice Sage says:

Dashingsilverfox:
    Benn gets an assist with 8 seconds left and wins the Art Ross.

HUZZAH!!!!!

Is that Jordie’s brother? From somewhere on the coast perhaps?

91. GCW_69 says:

Just back from the Leafs Habs game (don’t ask) and there was this defender for the Habs who was impressive. One play in particular stood out.

The puck was iced mid line change so he was stuck out with Subban instead of his regular partner. Face off to the left of Price. Montreal lined up, he looked at the Leafs, didn’t like what he saw and rearranged the way his team was aligned up, moving a winger over to the boards where he had lined up, and put himself closer to the net side and kind of behind the centre. After a little chaos the puck came right back to where he was and he was in perfect position to get the puck out.

Hear the guy is a pending free agent too.

Jeff Petry we miss you…

92. Dashingsilverfox says:

Ice Sage: Is that Jordie’s brother?From somewhere on the coast perhaps?

I believe so…I’ve heard he’s from Victoria.

Picked in the 5th round.

Only 25 years old…might be the best player in the NHL.

93. GCW_69 says:

So, Scrivens gave up a goal on the first four shots. Sweet…

94. Eastern Oil says:

Corey Pronman ‏@coreypronman 5m5 minutes ago
    Draisaitl’s-EDM set up on Kelowna’s 1st goal was elite. Bumpy NHL season aside, he is a top talent.

95. Rocknrolla says:

Not sure if anyone caught it, but during the telecast Cassie Campbell said that she had a chance to ask Todd Nelson if he would take an associate coaching position if it was offered to him….

the answer Todd gave is that he would have to seriously think about it, and it would depend on the chemistry with that coach…..

Interesting he gave an answer….and interesting answer….We Wait!

96. Ice Sage says:

Dashingsilverfox: I believe so…I’ve heard he’s from Victoria.

Picked in the 5th round.

Only 25 years old…might be the best player in the NHL.

That being said, am fairly pissed off that his team won’t be playing Kraft Hockeyville in the old Peninsula arena – NHL losing a glorious synergy there…

97. gogliano says:

Anyone notice that Jultz was left off the traditional Big 5 list?

Dare to dream.

GCW_69:
    Just back from the Leafs Habs game (don’t ask)and there was this defender for the Habs who was impressive. One play in particular stood out.

The puck was iced mid line change so he was stuck out with Subban instead of his regular partner. Face off to the left of Price. Montreal lined up,he looked at the Leafs,didn’t like what he saw and rearranged the way his team was aligned up,moving a winger over to the boards where he had lined up,and put himself closer to the net side and kind of behind the centre. After a little chaos the puck came rightback to where he was and he was in perfect position to get the puck out.

Hear the guy is a pending free agent too.

Jeff Petry we miss you…

I watched that game, lordy that was a missed opportunity (to sign Petry) by Mact.

99. Dashingsilverfox says:

Ice Sage: Careful, fellow islander – he doesn’t earn that title without hauling his team into the second season.

He did haul them in last season.

Agree about that synergy though.

100. Ice Sage says:

Rocknrolla:

Interesting he gave an answer….and interesting answer….We Wait!

Love that guy – he understands that coaching is more about relationships than hierarchy

101. frjohnk says:

Dashingsilverfox: I believe so…I’ve heard he’s from Victoria.

Picked in the 5th round.

Only 25 years old…might be one of the best players in the NHL.

Fixed that for you.

102. Dashingsilverfox says:

frjohnk: Fixed that for you.

Whatever floats your boat.

Crosby thinks he’s the best.

103. striatic says:

Can’t say Davidson looked very good on that goal. Got sorta caught out in no man’s land.

104. Ice Sage says:

striatic:

That’s partly on Scrivens, too – way too lackadaisical (no disrespect to Lack)… fortunately, Miller is rustier than a Cleveland steel mill

105. RexLibris says:

Woodguy:
    G Money,

Whiskey.

Is there anything it can’t do?

Turn Schultz into an NHL defender?

Worth a try, I guess.

106. Seismic Source says:

Off topic but does Dellow still have a job? With the overuse of Jultz, the trading of Petry and the underuse of Marincin(again), is it reasonable he wasn’t really listened to at all?

107. G Money says:

So MacT gives Hall, Eberle, Yak, and Nuge the big vote of confidence – and all of those guys that are on the ice tonight score.

Apparently, coaching is easy.

108. justDOit says:

Poo from NN (No Name). Sweet!

109. Eastern Oil says:

Whats his name with the nice assist!

110. Gerta Rauss says:

Nice snipe from Poo-beautiful pass from whatshisname

111. dangilitis says:

Great fake by marincin. I like pouliot’s give a shit meter.
    I dislike Scrivens’ play for 2014-15 season.

112. G Money says:

RexLibris,

There have been at least two games this year where I questioned afterward whether Jultz was truly sober…

113. elphy101 says:

Mact’s comments during the intermission leave me with the impression that Laurent Brossoit has a chance to play with the big team next year.

There was an interersting post by Gmoney? about goalies hitting peak at 25 and that it may not be worth having them play in the minors for too long.

Looking at Carey Price, its amazing the fluctuation in his save percentage even though he’s considered the best goalie in the league. I wonder how much the spike in save percentage in last two years is related to PK Subban’s improvement.

Carey Price Save Percentage

2007-2008: 0.920% (41 games played, 20 years old)
    2008-2009: 0.905% (52 games played, 21 years old)
    2009-2010: 0.912% (41 games played, 22 years old)
    2010-2011: 0.923% (72 games played, 23 years old)
    2011-2012: 0.916% (65 games played, 24 years old)
    2012-2013: 0.905% (39 games played, 25 years old)
    2013-2014: 0.927% (59 games played, 26 years old)
    2014-2015: 0.933% (66 games played, 27 years old)

114. Ice Sage says:

This game gonna end 8-7 in a shootout.

(unless LB goes in)

115. striatic says:

Davidson looks out of his element. Although again, Scrivens not helping him out much.

116. G Money says:

elphy101: There was an interersting post by Gmoney?

That was WG.

117. thejonrmcleod says:

Hughson just said it’s a 4-3 Vancouver lead. No wonder he’s thought the Canucks have been dominating.

118. G Money says:

striatic: Although again, Scrivens not helping him out much.

Are you saying a .667 sv% is not NHL calibre?!?!

119. striatic says:

Ice Sage,

Fasth is the backup tonight. Brossoit sent to the AHL.

120. RexLibris says:

Every year I run a very informal playoff pool at my work.

Pick a winner in each round. Points tally to the end of the playoffs (basically win the 1st round and you’re set), no money involved but lots of bragging rights and a reason for many who couldn’t care less to take an interest.

Picking the Flames/Canucks series should be easy (take the Canucks because distance mollifies the disgust). I think I’m going to have to take the Flames to win it, in spite of the possession metrics, defensive depth, et al. I think Hiller will make that much of a difference.

I might have to stay off the internet for a month if the Flames make the 2nd round.

121. Ice Sage says:

striatic,

Thanks – that’s my wishful (tempranillo-influenced) 2017 thinking 🙂

122. justDOit says:

And Benny. Dear Benny.

And here’s an interesting stat line:

2014-15 Binghamton Senators AHL 25 games, 1369 minutes, 3.51/0.898

2014-15 Ottawa Senators NHL 24 games, 1411 minutes, 1.79/0.941

Voodoo, indeed.

123. frjohnk says:

G Money: Are you saying a .667 sv% is not NHL calibre?!?!

Many nights that has been oiler calibre.

124. RexLibris says:

Beautiful pass by Roy to Yakupov on the last drive. Soft, perfect timing and in space.

125. RexLibris says:

G Money:
    RexLibris,

I’ve questioned whether I was sober after watching some of his play.

“He didn’t. That can’t be right!”

126. striatic says:

G Money: Are you saying a .667 sv% is not NHL calibre?!?!

not only that – by eye the chances did not look terribly dangerous.

i think that if Niemi wants a big payday, he’ll probably get it from the Oilers. hate that the Oilers are in this position when it comes to goaltending, again.

Scrivens for Cam Ward. Offer sheet Martin Jones at the high end of the 2nd round compensation level.

128. striatic says:

Jesus. Aulie needs to spend less time chasing potential roughing penalties 180 feet from his net and more time playing defence.

129. RexLibris says:

Hartley just tweeted out his starting line for the Canucks/Flames opener:

Jason Voorhees/Freddy Krueger/Iron Sheikh

130. dangilitis says:

Dashingsilverfox: dangilitis:

I am surprised you would like Benn after he was a douche about your twin sensations. I certainly lost a lot of respect for him, he was hardly roped into those comments.

131. striatic says:

RexLibris,

is Ogie Ogilthorpe on D?

132. RexLibris says:

godot10:
    Scrivens for Cam Ward.Offer sheet Martin Jones at the high end of the 2nd round compensation level.

I’d prefer Niemi with Bachman as the backup, or Bachup, as it were.

133. Dicky94 says:

G Money,

His confidence is shot. He needs the shrink that Dubey used to bring him back from this.

134. RexLibris says:

striatic:
    RexLibris,

is Ogie Ogilthorpe on D?

Too soft.

135. dangilitis says:

Bieksa is the whiniest SOB I have ever seen. He must have had a lot of tantrums growing up and must have gotten toys after each fit…

136. Dashingsilverfox says:

dangilitis: No kidding, but Jamie really was going all out for the Art Ross tonight, while the other 2 had playoff aspirations and teamwork to worry about.

Boys will be boys…there have been a lot of comments about the “sisters” right here on this blog….none of them justified.

137. Ice Sage says:

Oh, I think we know who the dark influence was there (hint – not Taylor) but still, mocking the Sedins belies some weak character. Benn did redeem himself partly with that goal vs US in Sochi.

138. elphy101 says:

In trying to determine, what is a solid metric for when an AHL goalie has graduated to the NHL. I went thru a number of the top goalies in recent years that have been in the AHL, here are the figures;

Corey Crawford
    AHL at 20 years old, 48 games played, 0.898%.
    21 years old, 60 games played, 0.909%
    22 years old, 55 games played, 0.907%
    23 years old, 47 games played, 0.917%
    24 years old, 45 games played, 0.909% and then graduated to NHL starter with 57 games

Devan Dubnyk
    20 years old, ECHL, 43 gp, 0.921%
    21 years old,, 33 gp, 0.904%
    22 years old, 62 gp, 0.906%
    23 years old, 33 gp, 0.915% and then graduated to NHL shared starter with 35 games

Cam Talbot
    22 years old,, 22 GP, 0.902%
    23 years old,, 33 GP, 0.913%
    24 years old, 55 gp, 0.918% and then graduated to NHL backup with 21 games

Cory Schneider
    21 years old, 36 GP, 0.916%
    22 years old, 40 GP, 0.928%
    23 years old, 60 gp, 0.919% and graduated to NHL Backup with 25 games

Pekka RInne
    23 years old, 51 GP, 0.904%
    24 years old, 29 GP, 0.920%
    25 years old, 65 GP, 0.908% and graduated to NHL starter with 52 games

Semyon Varlamov
    20 years old, 27 gp, 0.916% and then graduated to NHL backup 26 games.

Laurent Brossoit
    21 years old, ECHL, 35 GP, 0.923%
    22 years old, 49 GP, 0.916%

139. Магия 10 says:

G Money:

Apparently, coaching is easy.

Then again he said Ralph was coming back. If he’s clever he can skype Nelson before the Hall trade leaks.

140. Doubting Olive says:

OMG! Purcell turning on the jets there.

I have a mental image of what the Titanic would look like on a breakaway.

Great hockey sense and hands, but if he was any slower, he’d stop.

141. Halfwise says:

Ice Sage:
    striatic,

Thanks – that’s my wishful (tempranillo-influenced) 2017 thinking

What tempranillo do you like? I’m on the Island and i don’t particularly admire the BC Liquor store selection of Spanish wine.

142. leadfarmer says:

thejonrmcleod,

Better question is, is MacT coming back next year.

143. Kitchener says:

Several improvements to note at the end of the 2014-15 season:

1) the Oilers are no longer a “small team.” Those days were here for years but are now done.

2) the Oilers are now a team with usable young defensive depth. The pipeline is delivering (Musil, Davidson, Marincin), it isn’t just a story.

3) the 3-4 lines are no longer offensive deserts. Pitlick/Klinkhammer/Lander/etc. are not scoring phenoms, but they regularly create real chances. Gone are the days of Petrell x 6 on the bottom 2 lines.

There are still holes on the team, but it’s worth noting a few holes that we used to spill pixels over are filling in.

144. striatic says:

leadfarmer,

I doubt any of the current braintrust gets fired until the new building is up.

If i’m Katz, i want to keep my hope generating powder dry until i need to fill the new seats at the new prices.

Fire the lot next summer and get people excited about meaningful change with the new building opening. Fire the lot this summer, chances are things don’t change much anyway and you end up going into the new building with a depressed fanbase.

145. Kitchener says:

striatic:

I think he’s gambling that MacT wants a roughneck in the 7D hole and that’s his best chance at a new contract. Aulie might be right.

146. striatic says:

It’ll do a lot for Vancouver’s confidence to come back and win this thing, even though it shouldn’t.

147. Dashingsilverfox says:

striatic:

There you go.

148. striatic says:

You’re welcome.

149. Klima's_Bucket says:

Ben Scrivens. I hope I never see him in an Oilers sweater again.

150. striatic says:

on the positive side, the Oilers are doing ok in this game, and have done ok-ish to end the season, despite only having 2 centres playing their natural position.

151. justDOit says:

Klima’s_Bucket:
    Ben Scrivens. I hope I never see him in an Oilers sweater again.

Well at least you can’t tell which sweater he’s wearing, while he’s swimming around on his stomach.

But I’m not sure there’s been a worse ‘seen him bad’ game that he’s played this year. The play where he fell into his net when the Nucks had the puck behind the redline, was cringe-worthy.

152. striatic says:

on the negative side, MacT is probably thinking along the same lines – “Man, once we get Nuge and Gordon back we will be unstoppable!”

153. justDOit says:

The Yakmanian devil behind the net there. Love that kid.

154. Ice Sage says:

Kitchener:
    Several improvements to note at the end of the 2014-15 season:

1) the Oilers are no longer a “small team.”Those days were here for years but are now done.

2) the Oilers are now a team with usable young defensive depth.The pipeline is delivering (Musil, Davidson, Marincin), it isn’t just a story.

3) the 3-4 lines are no longer offensive deserts.Pitlick/Klinkhammer/Lander/etc. are not scoring phenoms, but they regularly create real chances.Gone are the days of Petrell x 6 on the bottom 2 lines.

Yeah, baby – Shore up the goaltending (Niemi, Brossoit) and this thing looks like the lipstick… sans pig

155. justDOit says:

C.M.S Playoff Rescue: http://i.imgur.com/KTbLv1E.jpg

156. Kitchener says:

justDOit,

Ben Scrivens is in dire need of a holiday.

157. Ice Sage says:

justDOit:
    C.M.S Playoff Rescue: http://i.imgur.com/KTbLv1E.jpg

that’s perfect.

Oilers and Leafs. Canada’s shame. Whatcha gonna do, macLowBallard?

158. justDOit says:

Kitchener:
    justDOit,

Ben Scrivens is in dire need of a holiday.

And maybe someone should tell him that it’s illegal for him to leave his feet to make a save. Mix in a little head trajectory training (well – okay, a LOT of it), and we could be looking at next year’s Doobie Doubleback.

Could be.

159. justDOit says:

Wait – Jultz with the extra effort to skate down the puck on that play? When merely Jultzing it would have had him on the links that much sooner… bizarro.

160. frjohnk says:

Nelson using 3 forwards and 1 D in the OT for all lines.

EDIT: that didn’t work very well

161. justDOit says:

Well, on the first day of my 50th year, good night Benny.

162. Ice Sage says:

That’s a wrap – that score will resonate all off-season. Lotsa work to do (still, still,,..)

163. LMHF#1 says:

Without Scrivens that teams wins a bunch at the end.

No Scrivens and no Ference is so key.

Don’t see Scrivens head issues as fixable given they’ve been around since junior.

164. Halfwise says:

That was the Nelson part of the season in a nutshell, right there. Decent effort, outmanned, let down by goaltending, disappointing loss in a winnable game.

Is there a clinic for goalies, kind of like the Betty Ford thing where they go to overcome their issues? Scrivens could use a few weeks of soaking in Epsom salts.

165. LadiesloveSmid says:

Good Gord.

I don’t care what happened with Dubnyk, if Scrivens isn’t in oiler silks next year good riddance. I never wanna see two sub .890 goalies on this team again. What a good note to end the year on. A .739 my lord

166. TeeVee says:

Jultzed and Scrivenzed

167. thebiggestmanintheworld says:

Ben Scrivens is an NHL goalie.

At least, that’s what hockeydb tells me.

Multiple viewings have me thinking otherwise…

168. Doubting Olive says:

I have honestly never seen a goalie try to lead with his head as much as Scrivens. I like him as a person. and he has shown potential, but it seems to me that every play ends with him doing front snow angels.

It’s a bad, bad habit.

169. TemujinBC says:

justDOit:
    Well, on the first day of my 50th year, good night Benny.

Cheers o/

You have to walk away from Schultz. Just have to.

Lots of twitter chatter thankful the season is finally over, but this sh*t isnt going to end anytime soon, is it? Addition by Subtraction should be the motto for the summer.

170. justDOit says:

A Flames cast-off sinks the Oilers last chance at a win. I’ve never been shot with a shotgun loaded with salt, but I think I know what it feels like.

171. Halfwise says:

Hey I just noticed that “goal tending” is an anagram of “goat lending”. Maybe the Oilers are the victims of an unfortunate spelling mistake in their recruiting department.

Enjoy the offseason, everyone.

172. justDOit says:

thebiggestmanintheworld: Multiple viewings have me thinking otherwise…

You didn’t drink nearly enough?

You should have taken an interest in tiddlywinks at an early age?

173. justDOit says:

TemujinBC: You have to walk away from Schultz. Just have to.

I’ve tried. I walked all the way to Boston Pizza to watch one game, but there he was.

174. justDOit says:

Dashingsilverfox,

So who you picking in the Van/Cal series? I have to think Vancouver will be lucky to get their two home games in this post-season.

175. RexLibris says:

Friend just asked me if I have my Flames car flag ready for the post-season.

I told him of course. Right beneath my brake and gas pedal where it can be best put to use.

176. Dashingsilverfox says:

justDOit:
    Dashingsilverfox,

They are incredibly equally matched.

I can see a 7 games series with the result dependent on goaltending.

177. Klima's_Bucket says:

I don’t know how else to put this so I’ll just put this.

Ben Scrivens and Andrew Ference are two of the nicest guys in the whole world and do a lot of nice things for the community.
    However, they are both useless as fuck on a sheet of ice.

178. Dashingsilverfox says:

RexLibris:
    Friend just asked me if I have my Flames car flag ready for the post-season.

179. Dashingsilverfox says:

Klima’s_Bucket:
    I don’t know how else to put this so I’ll just put this.

However, they are both useless as fuck on a sheet of ice.

Who acquired those guys?

180. justDOit says:

Dashingsilverfox: Who acquired those guys?

LA and Calgary?

181. justDOit says:

Cassie Campbell Verified account
    ‏@CassieCampbell
    Players confirmed for Team Canada at WC so far…Hall, Eberle, RNH, Seguin, Spezza, Ekblad, Mike Smith, Giroux, Duchene @Sportsnet

182. rickithebear says:

Dashingsilverfox: I”m just surprised, based on your pre-season narratives, that your head hasn’t exploded yet.

for the decade oilers are 0 series wins for 9 seasons.
    Calgary is already there.
    they have a chance to have the worst playoff success for a decade in nhl history!

Go Canucks!

I used this on collection of flames fans!
    Shuts them up!
    Then you add you guys are better at losing than us!

183. justDOit says:

rickithebear: Go Canucks!

spits Canucks? NO WAY! I wants me some more of the girls of the red mile this year! (I live in cowtown)

184. striatic says:

justDOit,

I really hope they win it.

Nuge, Hall and Eberle need to win something, anything.

185. Dashingsilverfox says:

justDOit: LA and Calgary?

Toronto and Pittsburgh actually.

So, then who acquired them after their previous team found them expendable?

186. justDOit says:

striatic,

Win or lose, it’s as close to playoff experience as they’ll get for a while.

187. justDOit says:

Dashingsilverfox: Toronto and Pittsburgh actually.

Sorry. Cherry picking. Not the first time that’s happened on this blog.

188. Dashingsilverfox says:

It was close but Nail Yakupov takes home the Green Jacket at -35.

Well that’s the curtain on another season. Young players learning at the NHL level makes it impossible to win hockey games. As soon as the GM figures that out, we can proceed to the next lesson.

190. justDOit says:

Dashingsilverfox:
    It was close but Nail Yakupov takes home the Green Jacket at -35.

Speaking of cherry picking…

191. Hammers says:

Thanks for a good year LT . Seeing as I’m off to London for a month on Tuesday at least I get to see some footy . predictions Calgary beats Van . we end up with the 4th pick . Carolina gets 1st overall . Friedman says McT in negotiations with Roy .We get shocked at the draft with 2 trades . Like Vancouver the team doesn’t sell out next year as Those days are gone . NYR wins Stanley . I will check what’s being said on Lowetide before coming back and hope more people have some positive comments not the negative BS we see so much of .

Hammers:
    Thanks for a good year LT . Seeing as I’m off to London for a month on Tuesday at least I get to see some footy . predictions Calgary beats Van . we end up with the 4th pick .Carolina gets 1st overall . Friedman says McT in negotiations with Roy .We get shocked at the draft with 2 trades . Like Vancouver the team doesn’t sell out next year as Those days are gone . NYR wins Stanley . I will check what’s being said on Lowetide before coming back and hope more people have some positive comments not the negative BS we see so much of .

Thanks, Hammers. Good trip!

193. nez29 says:

Just one thing to say. Fuck. Glad I laid out 1000 bucks for tickets I literally couldn’t give away some nights. Then ol’ Justin plays a two-on-one terribly on the seasons’ last goal. RNH gives some hope, but I see at least two more years of the foulest, shit-smelling slime imaginable….

194. TemujinBC says:

Struds just said it’s gonna be a ten year playoff drought, but he can’t say whether the Oil will reach 30 wins next year until he sees what MacT does through July.

There’s no reason to argue with him on that.

195. Younger Oil says:

Good to hear RNH is going to be on Team Canada as well, hope he is healthy for it.

I wonder if a guy like Pouliot could be given an invite. Unlikely, but not impossible I think.

And just to make sure, if PIT loses to NYR in the first round, is that pick guaranteed to be 15th OV? I believe it would be, just not 100% sure.

196. G Money says:

nez29: Just one thing to say. Fuck.

Yup. That’s the season.

Actually, the last nine seasons.

197. jake70 says:

When does the audit report come out?

198. maxwell_mischief says:

i hope the oil end up with steve downie at the end of the summer

« Older CommentsNewer Comments »