Jordan Eberle is a winner. People probably miss that because he’s on a diabolical team filled with also-rans and never-weres but it’s clear as day. He was found money in the 2008 draft and despite a contract beyond dear he delivers in the areas that are required and doesn’t take any days off. His career is beginning to resemble Johnny Bucyk’s early years in Boston: Consistent excellence noticed by no one at all.
RE 14-15: 80GP 30-38-68 .850
ACTUAL 14-15: 81, 24-39-63 .778
JORDAN EBERLE BOXCARS, THREE YEAR TREND
JORDAN EBERLE FANCY STATS, THREE YEAR TREND
- By jove, he’s consistent! He really is.
- With all that consistency, one would think your guesses would be at least reasonable. And we’re off! Nothing wrong with the RE, that’s in the range. Jordan Eberle really is a very good hockey player. I think people may be frustrated he’s not posting 80 points but he’s a 60+ point winger in a low-scoring league.
- Where does that put him league-wide? Tied for No. 6 overall among RW’s.
- That’s damn good. Yeah, very good NHL player. Plus he’s still young, turns 25 in May. We should see quality production through the end of the decade and hopefully beyond.
- Will Yakupov catch Eberle? I don’t know. He should based on draft pedigree but Eberle was a better player at 20. We’ll talk more in the Yak RE. Seems we’ve been waiting forever but it’s really only 2.5 seasons.
- You always liked Eberle. Sure, he’s a good hockey player and goals are dear.
- Plus Stu MacGregor drafted him and you’re blind as a bat in that regard. I don’t think Stu MacGregor needs to be defended on drafting Eberle No. 22 overall. That’s good value.
- Eberle flourished because of Nelson. Eberle was absolutely dealing with injury when Eakins was coach, go back and look at the video. He couldn’t lift the puck for love nor money. The day before Todd Nelson went solo, Eberle’s boxcars were 35GP, 6-14-20. After that? 46GP, 18-25-43. It is absolutely impossible to ignore, unless you choose to do so.
- Eberle still needs Hall, though. Not so! The young man hit 49.6 5×5 Corsi for % w/o Hall. That’s a splendid number for him.
- Will they put the Hall-Nuge-Eberle line back together next year? I don’t think they have to, because Benoit Pouliot can play and play well.
- Impressive! Potentially huge! If Pouliot-Nuge-Eberle can punish opponents, then maybe Hall-?-Yakupov/someone can form a second significant line. The key though is that you’d need a faster center than Derek Roy. I’m hoping Soderberg but maybe they’ll aim very high and the Oilers will come home with something splendid from the draft.
- What can’t Eberle do? Play center, push the river like Hall, intimidate physically, play an aggressive and effective two-way game. He’s also mature and not physically able to win a lot of battles. He’s quick but I’m not certain he’s strong, like really strong, and at 25 he’s a mature player.
- What can Eberle do? Score goals, help the power play and, this is important, play with elite-level skill and look like he belongs. It’s a monster deal, getting a player like that in the later part of Round 1.
- He’s going to be the “Smyth” Oiler who stays while others leave, isn’t he? Yes, I think so. Eberle has five seasons in now, one of them lockout impacted, and has 120 goals. He’s already No. 14 on the all-time goal-scoring list and he’ll catch Todd Marchant (136) and Ales Hemsky (142) this season. If he makes it another five he’ll pass Paul Coffey at No. 6 overall (209) and two years later he’ll be in Ryan Smyth (296) territory. Beyond that, he’ll be facing four legends named Messier, Anderson, Kurri and Gretzky.
- Will he win any Stanley’s? Will Darryl Katz own the team?
- Why blame Katz? WHY blame Katz? He owns the damn team, dummy! The Calgary turnaround should shame him and the coming Toronto turnaround should do it, too. Darryl Katz is basically an absentee owner. Shameful.
- What are Oilers fans going to do? We’ll talk later but my suspicion is that MacT has one more summer. Katz has a brand new building and is going to be asking for miles more money per ticket. There has to be some sign of improvement or the franchise is going to have a helluva time getting tickets sold. People are beyond pissed. I get emails and texts that hiss and they come from season ticket holders. This isn’t some wing nut in the back row, either. I genuinely believe there are people of importance in this community who are fed up with this mess. It might get very ugly for the Edmonton Oilers in the Capital if this hopelessness continues. The brand is in peril. Seriously.
- Why doesn’t he fire everyone? Toronto did! The issue we have currently is this: fans want an immediate turn around and Mr. Katz has endorsed continued growth via draft and development. We’ll talk about this at length during the Katz and MacT RE’s.
- What is Eberle’s role next season? You saw it, above. Smile for the camera, make sure Hall is happy, score 63 points, 2.00/60 at 5×5 and one day maybe he’ll get into a playoff game.
- Would you trade him? If the price was right but we don’t know what is out there. Stay the course, his value as a player is somewhat dictated by the contract. If you really have to move him, and I don’t see any reason to, then wait until next summer when the owners have buggered themselves into a $60M cap. You could probably get a ton for Eberle then.
- Maybe Malkin! Now you’re thinking.
- Why this song? It’s a grand song about good things. Blue skies, love, spring, promise.
- That’s Eberle? Since the moment they called his name.