RE 14-15 JUSTIN SCHULTZ: RAMBLIN’ MAN

NHL defensemen, in the modern era, need to skate and pass very well, make quick decisions and spend as little time in their own end as possible. Puck possession and protection are of primary importance, and ‘what you leave’ sure as hell better not be much.

RE 14-15: 78GP, 12-29-41 .526

ACTUAL 14-15: 81, 6-25-31 .383

JUSTIN SCHULTZ BOXCARS, THREE YEAR TREND

justin schultz boscars three year trendJUSTIN SCHULTZ, FANCY STATS, THREE YEAR TREND

justin schultz fancy three trend

1. What happened here? I think Eakins had a good idea, giving Schultz a significant push in zone starts. I also believe Schultz was employed heavily in the season with the team a goal or more behind—which is a very sensible deployment of assets based on skill sets available.
  2. It didn’t work. No, Schultz was unable to successfully fill the role, although his Corsi did improve in the new climate. I’m not sure he’s ever going to be a good defenseman, truth to tell. I’m confident he’ll never have a coach more devoted to giving him a chance than Dallas Eakins.
  3. Is there a way to coax him into being a player? Don’t know.
  4. Once again, stirring insight. Well, Craig Ramsay knows, that I’m certain of, and I bet Billy Moores knows too. Me? I’m a fan. I don’t think he’s going to make it as a top flight NHL defender. There are too many holes, and he may be that guy who doesn’t get better with experience. He definitely has one year’s experience three times from my pov.
  5. Can they pump and dump? Good Christ, MORE ice-time?
  6. What if they backed him off at evens? That’s probably the best plan. If the Oilers can find a quality defender—I mentioned Vlasic last night—then maybe run Vlasic—Fayne as the tough minutes duo and try to cobble together another pairing out of Marincin and Andrej Sekera or similar. Klefbom—Schultz would run the Ozone starts as per this season. Nikitin is bought out and Ference rides the pressbox until required and we all know that NHL defensemen play a lot even if they’re No. 7 on the opening night depth chart.
  7. What’s the best thing about Schultz? He makes this diving move down from the point on the off wing and if the forward on the strong side can get him the puck….bang! Goal. It’s pretty sweet.
  8. What’s the worst thing about Schultz? Guys like Schultz have a specific skill set and that always includes passing ability because they handle the puck so much and have soft hands. Schultz sends lovely passes but they’re never on the tape. I don’t know if it’s lazy, or he’s developed the yips, but two seconds after he sends a pass out of the zone it’s most often coming back like a bad meal and in a hurry.
  9. I thought you’d say his lollygagging reaction to mistakes. Well that’s no thrill either but as he gains experience it should be less of an issue. He doesn’t have a lot of care with the puck but that should become less of a factor as he spends more time in the league. It’s not good but you’ll forgive that because he’s so skilled, but the passing is just a nightmare.
  10. What about playing him with Vlasic? You’d need to see a changed man for that to be workable. Vlasic can really help but not with a denver boot. It’s a matter of giving a care and paying attention to detail. Defense is tough, you have to apply yourself and work hard to improve. I think Schultz is going the other way despite the possession number above. I wouldn’t gift him Vlasic.
  11. It’s probably confidence. Maybe, he certainly sounded like a young man at a crossroads during the exit interview with the media, so maybe there’s some growing to do from Schultz. He had a promising start and ordinarily you wouldn’t throw him away, but of course there’s the big damn contract to renew.
  12. Would you walk away? If MacT can acquire Vlasic, sign Sekera and buys out Nikitin, I think signing Schultz for the same money is reasonable. If they can trade Schultz, that’s fine too. I wouldn’t sign him to more than one year and for the minimal allowable under the CBA. If negotiations get tough, I’d walk.
  13. Wow. Really? I don’t think this should come as a surprise. He has been horrible.  If Craig Ramsay likes him, and Nelson (or the new coach) want to take a chance on him, so be it. I don’t think there’s close to enough positive evidence to sign him long term, and so it comes down to how the coach feels about him in my opinion.
  14. Did he improve under Nelson? In Schultz’ final 47 games, he was 49.79% 5×5 Corsi for (same) and .54 5×5/60. He was 3.94/60 on the power play though. That’s certainly a reflection of Nelson.
  15. What one play, in your opinion, best represents Schultz as an Oiler? Late in the season, Oilers are in a close contest and it’s (iirc) later in the game. Everything is under control, Schultz in his own end and miles of track should he choose to pursue it. Up ahead, Anton Lander is giving Schultz a nice target as he heads up the ice. Schultz hesitates (something he seems to do a lot), then sends a terrible pass into Lander’s skates. Lander makes a desperate swipe at the puck, it’s turned over (with everyone headed the wrong way) and seconds later it’s a GA. Now YOU get a minus and YOU get a minus and YOU get a minus. Ghastly.
  16. Is this opinion of yours because you hate him? No, I actually feel badly for ripping on him. Schultz signed in Edmonton, making him found money. I think it’s normal to have good feelings about found money. However, one of Edmonton’s major problems is on the defensive side of the puck and Schultz isn’t helping. He seems to lack awareness of the situation and his reaction time on his own turnovers can be timed by sundial. At least Marc-Andre Bergeron worked his ass off to recover.
  17. You can never be happy. You always hate someone. Poor Laddy. You ruined him! Laddy? Get a grip.
  18. You’ve been bitter since Poo. Not true! I haven’t given up on Poo, how could I be bitter?
  19. You’ve changed, man. You don’t even promote your guests for the radio show! I know, I’ve forgotten. Today’s guests include Jonathan Willis (10:05), Ryan Batty (11:00) and Corey Pronman (11:25). TSN1260, see you on the radio.
  20. What about all the other guests on other days? What about the poor people you had on yesterday? All of the shows are archived here.
  21. Is Schultz worth saving? As I mentioned, don’t know. I’d like to know what Craig Ramsay or Billy Moores or Charlie Huddy thinks of them. I do know that even button down coaching staffs have a lot of room for gifted puck movers and I do know their value has increased over the years. However, Greg Hawgood was Greg Hawgood and Justin Schultz is Justin Schultz. There’s a limit to what a team should give up to get from an offensive defenseman. I’d suggest Schultz is testing the boundaries.
  22. Should they move him to forward? It’s been discussed at length by Oilers fans and I do think there’s some merit. The problem? Those transitions rarely work out. It is true that Schultz’ defensive responsibilities would be substantially reduced as a RW.
  23. Would you do it? No. It rarely works.
  24. Why this song? It’s an easy choice. Schultz is a ramblin’ man and a wonderful skater. You can see why scouts loved him and why MacT gushes about him. The issue comes with the actual results.
  25. Do you think he’ll make it? Schultz has a lot of things going his way, including natural talent and a GM who clearly believes in him. He’ll have a major hurdle to jump over if the Oilers hire a veteran coach. A guy like Todd McLellan will crush his ice-time and use it like a hammer.
  26. Todd Nelson wouldn’t do that? Nelson would have a different relationship with MacT than McLellan. Nelson was auditioning for a job last year, McLellan would be trying to get to 40 wins.
  27. When was the last time an Edmonton Oilers team had 40 wins? 2007-08. Bruce McCurdy will be along in awhile to tell you why it’s not really real, though. It’s 40 wins using the Bettman gun.
  28. Can we linger a bit and talk about the events of the weekend? Sure. I’m just grabbing my second coffee so we have time before I do my hair.
  29. The lottery win. How big is it? It’s mammoth. It’s bigger than any Oilers’ event this century, including the SCF run in 2006.
  30. Why? That was a wonderful run but it was a one-off, especially when Pronger asked out.
  31. How did you feel when Daly announced it? I was trembling a little, didn’t move just had a blank stare. Mrs. Lowetide was fist pumping, my daughter was shaking her fist (now a Senators fan, her viewpoint on things has changed although she’s happy for me and Oilers fans) and my son walked by and said something about linux user interface and I spilled my wine.
  32. So, a big celebration! Sure, yeah. I’m still a little trembly, keep expecting the NHL to say ‘we had the video of the lottery reviewed by the NHL department of franchise safety and Orly Feaster made a mistake by pushing the button twice and we have to have a do-over’ but I’m still hopeful.
  33. What will you do if the Oilers win Stanley again in your lifetime? I’ll cry. There’s no sense in denying it, I’ll cry. I’ll look at old photos from the 1980s with my friends celebrating and I’ll probably chase Mrs. Lowetide around for a time. I’ll call all my current buddies and laugh and maybe I’ll head down to Whyte Avenue (after first driving to Jasper Avenue by mistake) just to see the young people enjoy the moment.
  34. What will you remember most from the period 1993-Stanley six? Ryan Smyth. A lot of lost seasons in there with and without Smytty, he’s the guy I’d like to see at the final game. Smyth and Fernando. That would make me cry a river. That’s if they win in my lifetime.
  35. Will Justin Schultz be on that Stanley team? There’s no way to know. Maybe this young man surprises us. I sure hope he does.

254 Responses to "RE 14-15 JUSTIN SCHULTZ: RAMBLIN’ MAN"

« Older Comments
  1. Younger Oil says:

godot10:
    The Oilers 20 man roster as selected by the blogosphere.

forward, forward, forward
    forward, forward, forward
    forward, forward, forward
    forward, forward, forward

forward, forward
    forward, forward
    forward, forward

forward
    forward.

Only icing.No cake.Broccoli, just never, ever, ever.

It’s a generational draft, you need to take the best player available, can’t draft an inferior player just because of need.

It doesn’t help that most of the players ranked 10-20ish are mostly forwards.

Kylington would be a good add, as would Wereneski or Poporov if either of them fall (which is unlikely), but to take someone like Roy over someone like Meier would be an awful choice.

2. RexLibris says:

Lowetide: Iirc McDavid and Meier played together at Top Prospects, too. With Konecny? Can’t recall.

McDavid going to the WHC where he could, oh say, practice with Hall and Eberle, maybe even, dare I say, play a few shifts with them…

Wouldn’t that be a springtime treat for Oiler fans!

McDavid, Hall, Eberle and McLellan all together.

I can see Hall sending out a tweet to Nugent-Hopkins with a photo of the lineup card with those three with a caption beneath it saying “Ryan who?”

🙂

knighttown:
    From my Degree of Difficulty post a few weeks ago:

Easiest (0-3)
    Schultz 0 (0!!!!) (easiest possible competition with best possible teammates and heavily in the OZ)
    More simply, it seems that if you could read the Coaches game notes it would be titled Shelter Schultz.That type of usage doesn’t come about by accident.

By comparison, Marincin was a 10 (of 12), Fayne 9, Ference 7, Nikitin 6 and Klefbom 4.

Caling Schultz 50% Corsi and slightly positive CorsiRel a success is like saying that he beat Marincin in a long drive contest even though he played from the reds (and he probably does) while Marty teed off from the blacks.

BOOM!

Well done.

4. RexLibris says:

Younger Oil: Svechnikov is another player that I really like the look of as well.

I’ll be pretty surprised if all of Kylington, Meier, Svechnikov, Harkins, Barzal and Rantanen were picked by number 15, and even if they are that would still leave players like Roy, Chabot, Konecny, Connor, or possibly Crouse.

There is going to be a hell of a player there at #15, it would take a lot to make me want to trade that pick.

This is why I don’t trade that pick unless it is absolutely, unconditionally, a blow-your-socks-off offer.

The value to be had is just too high and fits what this team will need in very short order.

5. RexLibris says:

season not played: He was playing mostly on the right side. Seeing as how the Oilers seem determined to have only LHS defencemen in their system, playing the right side as a left shot is an extremely important skill within the organization.

Noticed that as well.

I think that plays into his awkwardness in the game.

He’ll be one to watch. I wish we had more to go on with this player.

6. RexLibris says:

Woodguy: I hear he wants to retire with the most coaching Cups of all time and that will dictate his next job.

No idea if that’s true.

Well, he’s beaten Terry Crisp.

7. Klima's_Bucket says:

Crakke:
    This just in, from a friend who works for a private airline company; Chiarelli is flying into Edmonton tonight on Katz’s plane (he’s already pre-ordered his meal lol).

Doesn’t necessarily mean anything more than a conversation is happening, but its interesting none the less!

How do you know Dallas Schlamp?

8. LadiesloveSmid says:

RexLibris: While usually I hope for a good series when two Oilers’ prospects meet in the CHL, this year I want the Otters gone in four (one if possible).

Wouldn’t that be a springtime treat for Oiler fans!

McDavid, Hall, Eberle and McLellan all together.

Soo’s goal differential is +47/-15 over 8 games. +32 in 8 is insane.

My money’s on Soo in 5 or 6. Hope Nurse lets McJesus have the corners.

Hall-McD-Eberle against Hendricks-Eichel. We’ll see who has the better chemistry aka who to select

9. Tire Fire says:

Crakke:

First time ever posting? Check.
    Special new “inside” information? Check.

My doubt meter is set on super high right now. We’ll see I guess.

10. Crakke says:

Klima’s_Bucket,

I don’t personally know the Pilot, but a one-degree-of-separation on someone else who works there.

I’m not trying to say I have any more knowledge than what I said, take it for what its worth. I trust what I heard, that’s all 🙂

11. Crakke says:

Tire Fire,

fair comment. I read this blog and the comments all the time, never had a cause to say anything.

I don’t even think its a big scoop, I’m sure the Oilers are talking to lots of people. Just interesting is all.

12. Tire Fire says:

Crakke,

Well, I think the interesting part is that Chiarelli would be in line to replace either MacT or Lowe, it’s not like he’d be interviewed for the coaching job.

13. Klima's_Bucket says:

Crakke,

Thanks for the interesting post. I thought we may share the same mutual friend.

14. McSorley33 says:

godot10,

The Oilers 20 man roster as selected by the blogosphere.
    forward, forward, forward
    forward, forward, forward
    forward, forward, forward
    forward, forward, forward
    forward, forward
    forward, forward
    forward, forward
    forward
    forward.
    Only icing. No cake. Broccoli, just never, ever, ever.
    ***************************************************************
    Post of the day….not too many fans of the Nurse selection a few years ago, either.

This is from a team that pays Andrew Ference and Nikki to play D – which begs the question – at what point in the nadir of Defensive play – would some people consider drafting a defenseman?

15. Crakke says:

Tire Fire,

That does seem like the odd thing, there is WAY less indication that MacT could be on the way out.

16. sliderule says:

Unlike most of you I don’t expect much from Nicholsons new gig.

Some of the suggestions like bringing in the GM who traded Seguin and fired his head scout and installed his son as a top scout give me nightmares.

I would think they will fire a soldier possibly streamline their scouting staff and have a head scout operating out of Kingsway rather than boonies.

17. 10W30 says:

I ve heard a lot of chatter about trading the Pit pick but If the Pits pick stays at say 15 or 16 and Werenski, provonov are there at 11-12 do you move up and grab that player? They are both offensive Defensmen who project well and would fill our need for possible elite NHL Offensive defensmen. LT What would it cost to make such a move and is it worth the price?

18. Really? says:

I can not remember specifically the buzz around Paul Coffey when he was in his first few years with the Oilers but I believe he was constantly in Sather’s doghouse for defensive gaffes and soft play overall. Could it be that Schultz just needs to reach the 250-300 game mark and he will blossom like Coffey, to some small degree?

19. 5-14-6-1 says:

Crakke,

Hi Art!

20. Marc says:

I posted this on a GDT last month, but will repost as it’s apposite to this thread. Feel free to skip over it though.

It’s interesting to compare his development path to an actual Norris candidate – Mark Giordano.

Both were in Jr A in their draft year. Schultz was one of the younger players in his draft class, missing the 2009 cut off by two months. Giordano was one of the oldest in his, missing the cut off for the 2001 draft by just two weeks. Schultz put up 48 pts in 67 games and was a second round pick. Giordano put up 37 pts in 48 games and went undrafted.

From there Giordano went to the OHL for two seasons, where he put up 52 pts in 72 games his 19 year old year and 53 pts in 72 games his 20 year old year. He signed with Calgary as a UFA and spent two seasons in the AHL, where he put up 17 pts in 77 games his first year and then made the leap his second year, putting up 58 pts in 73 games.

Schultz on the hand, stayed in Jr A his draft +1 year for some reason (I haven’t seen any explanation for this online, though it may have been because of his age. He only turned 18 a couple weeks after the draft.). He did well – 53 pts in 55 games – but in one of the lowest quality development leagues. He then spent three years in college, where he put up 113 pts in 121 games and became a highly sought after free agent. In his AHL debut the following year he was utterly dominant, scoring 48 pts in 34 games.

It’s worth pausing here. In the two seasons after his draft year, Giordano played 144 games in a high quality development league. In the FOUR seasons after his draft year on the other hand, Schultz played only 176 games, and 55 of them were in a very low quality development league. Giordano then played 150 pro games before making his NHL debut, whereas Schultz played only 34.

Both Giordano and Schultz made their NHL debuts at the age of 22 and both played 48 games. Giordano joined a deep Calgary team that was one of the best in the West, and he struggled to establish himself. He was returned to the AHL several times and healthy scratched for 20+ games. He ended up averaging 9 sheltered EV minutes per game, putting up 9 EV pts and 6 more on the PP. Despite his OZ push, his P/60 was 1.25. He did have a CF% of 53.51 though.
    Schultz on the other hand joined a terrible Oilers teams with perhaps 1 decent D (Petry) and no one on D who really scored that much. So he averaged 17 non-sheltered EV minutes a game with a weak partner, and got absolutely clobbered in terms of possession – CF% of 43.88. He got no zone start push and put up 11 EV pts (0.82 P/60) and 15 more on the PP (where he averaged 3+ minutes per game).

Giordano didn’t do enough with his sheltered minutes his rookie season to convince Calgary to give him a one way deal, so he headed off to the KHL the next season, putting up 19 points in 59 games. Schultz get more of the same his sophomore season – 17+ non-sheltered EV minutes a game with another shitty partner, and a sparkling CF% of 42.86. He put up 19 EV pts (0.89 P/60) and 12 more on the PP (where again he averaged 3+ minutes per game).

Giordano comes back to Calgary the following season and wins a regular spot. He gets much the same treatment as in his rookie year – 12.5 sheltered EV minutes per game. He puts up 13 EV pts (1.1 P/60) and 6 more on the PP, and an outstanding CF% of 59.86.

Schultz finally gets treatment similar to that Giordano got his rookie year ie. a decent partner and lots of OZ starts, albeit with 18 EV minutes a game and on a terrible team. He finally puts up positive possession numbers (barely) – a CF% of 50.42. He’s currently at 18 EV pts and 10 more on the PP. (Weirdly, despite his OZ push, his P/60 has actually fallen to 0.80. Improved possession numbers and better zone starts should in theory lead to higher scoring, but Schultz’s scoring numbers were actually better when he wasn’t getting a OZ push and his team had less of the puck. It may be that he’s just been unlucky though, his shooting percentage is lower than last season and less than half of what it was his rookie year. He’s taking fewer shots per game compared to his rookie season as well.)

A few observations:
    – Prior to that first season as a regular NHL player, Giordano had play 276 pro games in the AHL, KHL and NHL.
    – To put that into context, barring injury Schultz will play his 276th pro game some time in January of next year. He’ll be 25 and a half.
    – Giordano entered the NHL in the best possible circumstances – good team, good partner, limited sheltered minutes, and he still took a couple of years to establish himself. He wasn’t a regular NHL player until he was 25. He was still being sheltered until his 26 year old season.

In Giordano’s first season as an effective all around top four Dman (age 26) he played 15.4 EV minutes per game, with no OZ push, but not tough minutes either. He put up 16 EV pts (0.77 P/60) and 13 more on the PP, with CF% of 54.68. So nice, but no suggestion that there might be a Norris Trophy in his future.

Over the next few seasons though, he gradually started playing more minutes – a couple seasons at 16.5 minutes and then a couple more at 17.5. His minutes gradually got tougher, bringing down his EV scoring somewhat (to 0.59 P/60). His PP production was erratic, averaging 2.5 min some seasons and 3.5 min others, and scoring better than 5 P/60 some seasons and less than 2 P/60in others.

In his 30 year old season everything came together. Giordano played 17.5 EV minutes per game, with the toughest zone starts of his career and managed a CF% of 53.35. His EV P/60 jumped to 1.17 and he was dominant on the PP, with a P/60 of 5.5 on an average of 3.4 PP min/game. He’s been considered one of the very best D in the NHL ever since.

We know that D learn to process the game at very different speeds. Some are effective in the NHL less than 100 pro games under their belt, and good/very good by the time they get to 300 games experience. Others, like Giordano, take a lot longer. Just because a Dman is slower to develop however, does not mean that they are incapable of becoming a good, or even great, player.

Unlike Giordano, Schultz came into the league in the worst possible circumstances – bad team, bad partner, no place to hide. He had had fewer games, spread over more seasons, as a developing prospect, and had a fraction of Giordano’s pro experience. And unlike undrafted Giordano, he carried the expectations that come with being one of the league’s most famous prospects.

We’ve never seen Schultz play on a good team ie. with forwards that consistently give the D a good passing option when leaving the zone and cover when the D activates. We’ve only recently seen him used in a manner appropriate to his experience ie. a decent partner and lots of OZ starts. And we don’t what Schultz will look like when he’s played enough games for the game to finally slow down for him.

It may well be that Schultz never manages to put it all together. Some highly gifted players never do. But at this point we are miles and miles and miles from knowing what we have here.

21. 5-14-6-1 says:

Renaud Lavoie
    ‏@renlavoietva
    Broken rib for Alex Burrows. He’s out of danger. #canucks #tvasports

That will be the last time Burrows volunteers to help Beak-sa practice his cross-checking.

22. Tire Fire says:

I don’t get the feeling MacT is out the door yet. I also would not want Chiarelli, for the reasons Sliderule mentions, as well as several other weak moves.

I won’t be so surprised if there is a new coach soon. I’m not too sold on Nelson, his comments on not using advanced stats dropped his value in my accounting system. I’m not saying I would base all comments on this or that school of thought on Corsi/etc, but you’ve got to look at some kind of measurements to look for problems and test if improvements are working. McLellan (and the Sharks in general) seem to have a rep for taking in new ideas, no?

23. slopitch says:

10W30,

Im not sure the price but in looking at Werenski he is not far back of Hanifan. Neither is Provorov.

Unless you can get a LEGIT goalie or dman, I think you keep the pick and hope one of those guys drops. Klefbom was closer to 10th on the pre-draft rankings and we got him 19th. At some point you got to “move the dial” but you gotta realize the value of the pick. If you’re not getting a quality asset thats fair value, you have to wait. It can still be a development year with a playoff push next year. Calgary did that this past season.

Really?:

No one skated like Coffey.

Maybe Bure.

I never saw Orr live, but word is that his skating was on another level as well.

Schultz is no where near that conversation.

Schultz is in the Del Zotto conversation, not the Coffey conversation.

10W30:
    I ve heard a lot of chatter about trading the Pit pick but If the Pits pick stays at say 15 or 16 and Werenski, provonovare there at 11-12 do you move up and grab that player? They are both offensive Defensmen who project well and would fill our need for possible elite NHL Offensive defensmen. LT What would it cost to make such a move and is it worth the price?

If Werenski or Provorov are there you grab them and run away laughing.

Provorov won’t be there.

Werenski might be.

I trade that pick though for a Dman with about 500 games under his belt, or at least try.

Marc,

Many Flames fans freaked out that Sutter didn’t keep Gio and kept some slow footed vets instead.

Check out the threads at battle of Alberta back during that time.

Gio going to KHL is on Sutter (better coach than GM, although I love the way he used 2nd round picks)

27. book¡je says:

Isnt there someone on here who knows how to check Katz’ private planes flight plans?

28. neojanus says:

I think Nicholson being hired does suggest a big change is coming. The second the Oilers won that lottery, Katz’s expectations for the Oilers changed.

As a business, the Oilers are bleeding. The sports world sees them as an embarrassment. You cannot have McDavid play for an embarrassment. The NHL wouldn’t allow it, Canada wouldn’t allow it, Sports wouldn’t allow it.

Katz HAS to change this thing because if the Oilers blow it with the future face of the NHL, no one will forgive them ever. Katz is a savvy business man and can’t afford to let this bleed any longer.

I predict that we will have a new GM, a new coach, and perhaps a new Hockey Operations President before the opening night in Rogers Place. The business optics are just too important now.

It might not happen this year (I think it will).

Nicholson’s lack of commitment verbally to anyone except Katz rubs me the same way MacT’s lack of commitment to Nelson rubs me: the bosses are looking for bigger fish.

I’m just one guy with my gut telling me, but it isn’t just a lottery pick this time. The player means so much more to the business.

10W30:

I think it better that to hold ones powder dry, and sit put till the PIttsburgh pick is on-the-clock and see who makes you the best offer. (One does prep work for this of course).

Say Barzal is sitting there. Someone is going to make you a really nice offer, probably a D, especially with the cap-challenged teams out there.

30. 5-14-6-1 says:

book¡je:

CSIS is probably here, but they won’t admit it.

Convincing someone to go camp out at the airport is probably more likely. Hey Rex…

10W30:

If the Pens pick is No. 16, the No. 33 pick (EDM’s second rounder) should get you five spots or so, but I’d keep my powder dry. One of the problems I’m having (seriously) ranking the top 10 is there’s 15 (or so) guys who are top 10 picks.

Here:

I REALLY like Konecny, he’s No. 16. Crazy.

Tire Fire:

I won’t be so surprised if there is a new coach soon.I’m not too sold on Nelson, his comments on not using advanced stats dropped his value in my accounting system.

I think you misunderstood what Nelson said.

33. Klima's_Bucket says:

book¡je:

I know one of his Pilots.
    For what it’s worth I haven’t heard back from him today…

34. spoiler says:

Halfwise: What is Mike Babcock’s record as a GM? Why should Oiler fans put up with Earn While You Learn all over again? We’re still suffering from MacT’s rookie GM decisions.

Aim higher. Why not first screen out every possible replacement who isn’t proven capable as a GM at the NHL level? Who is left that might come here? From that small group, consider whether the most attractive replacement would be worth the disruption that comes from changing yet another horse in midstream.

Then get started on the targeted head-hunting if you’re confident it’s going to be worth it, or choose to wait for a year and see how things go under B-Nic.

You understand the difference between predicting and recommending, right?

MacT is doing due diligence on the coaching candidates. And he gets free analyses of his hockey club and personnel.

Nicholson is doing due diligence on the GM candidates. And he get free analyses of his hockey club and personnel. If he chooses to do nothing, this can just be filed under “forensic audit”.

Chiarelli likely has the inside track to replace Bryan Murray.

36. spoiler says:

No idea if that’s true.

Wow, only 8 more for the tie, 9 for the record.

37. Tire Fire says:

godot10: I think you misunderstood what Nelson said.

Not so helpful of a comment. Do you have some quotes of his you found reflected his use of statistics?

spoiler: Wow, only 8 more for the tie, 9 for the record.

If you aim, why not aim high?

39. 5-14-6-1 says:

spoiler,

He could still make the record with only two more:

NHL Stanley Cups by coach:

Scotty Bowman 9

2. Toe Blake 8

3. Hap Day 5

4. Dick Irvin 4

4. Punch Imlach 4

4. Al Arbour 4

4. Glen Sather 4

5. Mike Babcock* 3

* most wins post salary cap

godot10: I think it better that to hold ones powder dry, and sit put till the PIttsburgh pick is on-the-clock and see who makes you the best offer.(One does prep work for this of course).

Say Barzal is sitting there.Someone is going to make you a really nice offer, probably a D, especially with the cap-challenged teams out there.

Yeah, that pick’s value max occurs about 90 seconds before the Oilers use it.

If it’s traded, it *should* be on the floor.

41. Picturesque says:

spoiler,

In this interview/article from February, (http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/mike-babcock-perfectionist/) Babcock seems to differentiate between the modern era and the Bowman era. So maybe two or three cups with the Oilers will seal the deal as being “the best coach in my generation.” I have a feeling we see Babcock as HC and Nelson as Associate.

42. spoiler says:

5-14-6-1:
    spoiler,

He could still make the record with only two more:

NHL Stanley Cups by coach:

Scotty Bowman9

2.Toe Blake8

3.Hap Day5

4.Dick Irvin4

4.Punch Imlach4

4.Al Arbour4

4.Glen Sather4

5. Mike Babcock* 3

* most wins post salary cap

When did he get to 3? I have him at 1.

43. 5-14-6-1 says:

spoiler: When did he get to 3?I have him at 1.

Top line, I said with only two more.

Post salary cap should be a distinction in the record books, because those 8 and 9 Cup careers are not likely to be seen again. Sutter has two now, right?

44. Halfwise says:

spoiler: You understand the difference between predicting and recommending, right?

Usually. Depends on how clear the writing is.

45. spoiler says:

spoiler: When did he get to 3?I have him at 1.

Okay then… how does 3 make the record of all-time most Stanley Cups? I’m really confused now.

46. spoiler says:

Halfwise: Usually. Depends on how clear the writing is.

Well, let me know when you find an “I think”, or an “I recommend”, or anything similar in my post lol.

You will however find a “book¡je it!”.

47. spoiler says:

Picturesque:
    spoiler,

In this interview/article from February, (http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/mike-babcock-perfectionist/)Babcock seems to differentiate between the modern era and the Bowman era. So maybe two or three cups with the Oilers will seal the deal as being “the best coach in my generation.”I have a feeling we see Babcock as HC and Nelson as Associate.

Maybe, but I am not sure what that has to do with the post I responded to…

It looks like you should be responding to the same post actually.

daryl:
    Which Linux user interface was your son talking about?

LXDE. Whatever that is.

49. RexLibris says:

Lowetide: LXDE. Whatever that is.

Wasn’t it your dad whom you said called all young people hippies or punks?

Which ones do you think use LXDE?

RexLibris: Wasn’t it your dad whom you said called all young people hippies or punks?

Which ones do you think use LXDE?

Is the answer punks?

51. EternalFrost says:

This team bungled the development of so many good young players. Their stubbornness with insisting on pushing guys into the NHL before they’re ready, and more importantly, leaving them there when they’re floundering, is mind boggling. Especially when these players were still eligible to head down to the minors.

I can only hope MacT has finally learned the lesson. If not, it’s time for Nicholson to wish him well in his future endeavors. It’s got to stop.

52. LMHF#1 says:

book¡je:

If someone knows the number it is registered under, flight aware would have your answer.

53. Saving Justin Schultz | The SuperFan says:

[…] things just haven’t gone well for Schultz. Despite the ice time, over the years and the offensive zone starts, especially this year, Schultz […]

54. hags9k says:

Soooo you’re tellin me there’s a chance!!

I’m lighting a candle for 19. One for Babcock too in hopes that another coaching change can result in a light bulb turning on for Jultz. There’s still hope he can figure it out. The dude really can skate.

« Older Comments