RE 14-15 DEREK ROY: IN MEMORY OF ELIZABETH REED

The Edmonton Oilers pulled out of the station with two centers and mud, and lordy they were singin’ the blues before the lights of town faded in the distance. By the time Derek Roy arrived, it was looking mighty grim.

ACTUAL 14-15 (OILERS): 46GP, 11-11-22 .478

DEREK ROY BOXCARS, THREE YEAR TREND

derek roy boxcars three year

DEREK ROY FANCY NUMBERS, THREE YEAR TREND

derek roy three year fancy

1. What did Roy do well?  When he played with Nail Yakupov, the Russian scored well. According to Stats.HockeyAnalysis.com, Yak played about half of his 5×5 time this year with Roy while scoring 71% of his points with the slick center. The funny thing is, Yak scored 23% of his points with Mark Arcobello, with only 18% of his overall ice time.
  2. So Yak scored 94% of his points in about 70% of his time? Yes.
  3. Who was the center who didn’t help? Yak had one goal in 181 minutes with Leon, and about 60 minutes with each of Nuge and Lander saw Yakupov blanked. He didn’t piss a drop.
  4. They should bring Roy back. I’m not sure.  The lottery win gets Edmonton their 2C, and now (without adding anyone) the C depth chart could be Nuge, McDavid, Lander, Gordon, Draisaitl. I’d like to add someone like Carl Soderberg, who could play C or W and has more of a two-way resume.
  5. So, Yak finally gets his veteran C and you flush him! Well, things change. You could sign Roy for Yakupov and move Lander to the wing on a line with Gordon, but even then I’d probably rather add someone like Justin Williams to play with Hall—McDavid.
  6. Why don’t you like Roy? I like him fine. However, he’s one dimensional and the Oilers are going to have another rookie at center. A depth chart of Nuge, McDavid, Soderberg/Lander/Gordon just makes more sense to me.
  7. Why? Well, Nuge and Soderberg can play multiple roles and Lander could slide up to 2C in a pinch but can also check and PK. Gordon is the tough minutes option. If you go with Nuge, McDavid, Roy/Lander/Gordon there isn’t going to be a lot of special teams minutes for Roy—and he’s not any screaming hell at evens, despite the Yak spike—a spike Arco pretty much matched. McDavid takes Roy’s job the moment he’s drafted, that’s how I see it.
  8. How was he in the faceoff circle? Not good, 43.6%.
  9. What is he good at? Roy is a savvy veteran with great acumen and anticipation in the offensive zone.
  10. That has value! You bet. A Derek Roy isolation camera would show a guy who knows where to go in the offensive zone and how to find and be found. There’s little doubt he’s above average, even in the NHL.
  11. Anything else he does well? As an Oilers center his shooting percentage was 14.1, but he’s 11.9% for his career so  it wasn’t crazy out of time with his career number.
  12. Is there any scenario you see the Oilers bringing him back? Sure. Edmonton may feel Connor McDavid is best suited to playing the wing and that a C depth chart of Nuge, Roy, Lander and Gordon (with Leon in the AHL) is the way to go.
  13. Music! Sign him up! Okay. Where does Hall play?
  14. On the second line, I don’t want to break up Pouliot—Nuge—Eberle and having two scoring lines is the way to go. So, Hall’s center would be either Derek Roy or Anton Lander. I think there is a chance Edmonton signs Roy—MacT mentioned three scoring lines—but it means McDavid or Draisaitl as a lock for center and it means Lander moves to wing or Gordon is out the door.
  15. How so? If we run the line like this: Pouliot—Nuge—Eberle; Hall—McDavid—Purcell; Lander—Roy—Yakupov; Hendricks—Gordon—Klinkhammer, it could work. Now you have Lander out of position and Draisaitl in the AHL pushing hard, so you might see Lander on the 4line or Purcell out the door by mid-season. All fine, but I’d still like to see Carl Soderberg in there to play multiple roles, as needed.
  16. Do you think Roy signs with Edmonton? Yes. I suspect that’s exactly what happens.
  17. Who will get squeezed out of the top 9F? Probably Lander, we’ll talk about this when we get there.
  18. Whatever happened to Roy, he used to be a big time offensive force? Injuries. Roy is 5.09, 184 and that’s an issue. Around Christmas in 2010, he suffered a quad injury and hasn’t been the same since. Quoting news reports at the time “carrying the puck into the Panthers’ zone, Roy was driven into the boards by defenceman Dmitry Kulikov.”
  19. Ouch! Yeah, it’s too bad. Roy has found a way to make himself useful and he’s a hard working guy, but the things he can’t do (Roy has a tendency to be on the wrong side of the puck more than you’d want from a veteran) are the things this organization needs badly.
  20. Will you be discussing Roy with your guests today? In a manner of speaking, yes. I’ll be joined by Scott Cullen at 10:05, we’ll talk about Connor McDavid and his impact on the hockey world in general, Edmonton specifically. At 10:25 Jason McKee (head coach/GM of the Spruce Grove Saints) joins me to discuss the hockey factory that is Edmonton and area. At 11, I’ll be joined for a ’round table’ discussion by Bruce McCurdy from the Cult of Hockey at the Edmonton Journal, and Darcy McLeod from Because Oilers. We’ll talk about the draft lottery, McDavid and the draft, and the summer needs plus how to fill the holes in a quick hurry.
  21. 10 this morning, TSN1260? That’s the ticket!
  22. Why this song? The irony of it fits Derek Roy very well. It was written by Dickey Betts about a girl he was seeing (Boz Scaggs’ GF, apparently) and inspired him to use a name from a headstone (Elizabeth Reed) at Rose Hill Cemetery in Macon, Georgia. Ironically, Duane Allman and Berry Oakley were buried in the same cemetery as Elizabeth Reed Napier in the years that followed. Legend also has it the band would often go to the cemetery to write!
  23. Weird! I know. Anyway, it’s a lovely song, one of several instrumentals by this incredible band.
  24. How does it fit Roy? Well, there’s some irony in Roy’s story. It’s ironic that his production matches (in many ways) Mark Arcobello’s and yet most Oilers fans would view Roy as a game changer—the GM clearly feels this way too.
  25. Anything else? There’s also a ridiculous twist on the lottery win. MacT basically said contract negotiations are underway (Roy confirmed there had been contact) and one imagines the Oilers are far enough along that a deal gets done.
  26. Why is this ironic? Well, McDavid’s arrival probably means more attractive free agents will be willing to come here. Carl Soderberg is a far better match for this team, Justin Williams would be a great add. I suspect neither will be in the discussion by July 1, as Edmonton will have drafted McDavid, signed Roy and found out Leon is lifting Jeeps in order to make the team this fall.
  27. This lottery win is turning into a curse! I KNOW!
  28. Are you starting to get used to the fact Edmonton won the lottery? Not yet, not really. I think I’ll believe it when the young man puts on the jersey and smiles for the camera.
  29. Who will call his name? Might be Nicholson.
  30. Who will be on the stage? Katz, his son, Nicholson, MacT, Lowe, Howson, Bob Green, Stu MacGregor (probably), Messier (probably).
  31. I hear there’s some petition to keep Katz’ boy off the stage? Yeah, saw that. Absolutely a bad idea and mean spirited. I’ve never bought into the public displays against Kevin Lowe or Craig MacTavish, and think the trade Taylor Hall people are wrong as wrong can be, but it’s all fair play to talk about in the clear light of day. But going after Katz’ son? Too far, people. As a Father, I’ll tell you true: Stop it. It’s beyond the pale. Rip on management, rip on players, rip on Katz. Leave the young man alone. You’re better than this, surely.

306 Responses to "RE 14-15 DEREK ROY: IN MEMORY OF ELIZABETH REED"

« Older Comments
  1. LMHF#1 says:

Rational Zealot: Of course it was a mistake.This is obvious, and not worthy of debate.

You’re hilarious and completely forgetting the context this deal arose from.

2. Ducey says:

GCW_69: My dead grandmother would be an upgrade.

Having her talk to Nicholson might be a challenge. She would also likely to be pretty inactive during free agency and the draft. And talk about being immune to criticism.

The more I think about it, the more I think they keep MacT and the pecking order goes:

Nicholson – CEO
    Chiarelli – President Hockey Operations
    MacT – GM

Nicholson has too much on his plate to keep an eye on the hockey stuff, so this might make some sense.

3. Evilas says:

I almost stooped to the level of the Katz Kid petition author and made a petition against him, but decided not to stoop to his level. But I do think sometimes bullies need to be bullied so they get the message, this internet can be an awful, horrible place, especially for teens. I served in the CF to defend this country and I feel like I have to stand up to assholes as well.

Anyway I sent an email to change.org about this petition, hopefully they shut it down before it gets ridiculous… If anyone else feels so inclined, please do so as well.

Thanks

4. Truth says:

I know Lowe is a swear word these days around here, but does the combination of Nicholson, Lowe, and Chiarelli put the Oilers in a very good spot to get Babcock on board? All team Canada brass.

5. LoDog says:

russ99: Replace Scrivens with Bachman or Broissoit, whoever earns the 15-20 game max backup role and that’s another $1.5M.

Move Ference to Boston, if he’ll go. If not bury him in Bakersfield – save another $3.2M

Don’t sign Roy, and move Purcell, ditto.

There are ways to create more space…

Where is Scrivens going?

And only 900K of Ference’s contract is off the cap if he is sent down.

And if you trade Purcell how much is the player coming back making?

Not all that easy.

6. LMHF#1 says:

Halfwise: The Babcock with zero GM experience?

How is that different from MacT hiring Eakins as Head Coach even though he was only shopping for an assistant when he went out that morning.

Don’t see him as lacking the knowledge to do this.

7. stevezie says:

Ok, but-hypothetically- if the hockey world at large foolishly considered the Kessel trade a massive win for the Bruins, how would you debate them?

I’m going to guess you’ll say he had no way of knowing the picks would be that good. Well,he sort of did as he knew he was dealing with a bad Leafs team, but in any case luck is a big part of everything. We should all accept it and cut our fellow humans more slack.

Seguin helped win him a cup, a president’s trophy and a pennant. You could argue Hamilton and cap space alone would have made it close to even. (I wouldn’t, but you could.)

8. kinger_OIL says:

LMHF#1: You’re hilarious and completely forgetting the context this deal arose from.

Kessel for two firsts that ended up being Seguin and Hamilton: that’s awesome trade for Boston. Or maybe you meant bad for Leafs? The Leafs miscalculated badly how poor their team was, and they gave up 2 very high picks as a result

9. stevezie says:

LoDog: And only 900K of Ference’s contract is off the cap if he is sent down.

In any case, cap space begins with Nitkinin. I like the idea of trading Purcell once we know we can replace him. I am betting we can because I think free agents like Williams will want to play with McD.

I think we keep Ference. I also think The Rangers would be interested in a salary retained Scrivens to backup Lundqvist. He has been excellent in front of good defences in the past. (This scenario assumes we trade a pick for Talbot).

10. TheOtherJohn says:
  11. LadiesloveSmid says:

Roy is a bird in the hand. What are the odds Soderberg/Vermette/whoever signs in Edmonton? Sounds like guys like Ribeiro/Jokinen/Roy didn’t want to sign here last year

12. Nostradumbass says:

It’s not just about talent evaluation folks

Make enough trades and go through enough drafts and you’ll have marks on of the sides of the ledger

Its also about culture and the fact the Oilers need a significant page turn in this department

Does Peter throw hissy fits if a young player engages in a tough contract negotiation?

Does he spew nonsense if he’s challenged even the slightest in a press conference?

Has he ever slagged a player on another team, does he make bold statements at all, does he call out players and play favorites with others?

Does he sign players that are ineligible via the CBA?

Is is expectation of a 6’2 defenceman that he better be able to rattle teeth?

It’s not just about trade track record

13. Gally says:

bsmart:
    As far as the petition goes to keep Katz son off the stage during the draft, I say shame on the person who started the petition. He is a loyal Edmonton fan just like the rest of us and just a kid. Darryl Katz very well could hand this team down to his son one day and you really want to discourage the kid from being a fan. Shame on you!

The petition certainly goes too far, though nobody else that I’ve noticed brings up an entire entourage for the draft announcement. As for him being a fan? Meh. Katz was a fan and before the McDavid lotto ticket, it hadn’t done us any good. More important is an owner who wants to win, regardless of who he grew up cheering for. For an apples to oranges comparison, Steve Ballmer grew up in Detroit, went to Harvard, and made his Billions in Seattle. Yet, he paid $2 billion to buy the LA Clippers, at something like 85% over market value and is dedicated to winning championships. If we’re choosing owners, I choose that guy over the guy who grew up the son of the owner and hires Taylor Hall to be the GM the day after he retires*.

*hypothetically

14. stevezie says:

LadiesloveSmid,

I don’t think we offered Roy or Ribero anything.

He is a bird in the hand no one else is hunting. Roy barely got a contract last year. What happened this year that improved his reputation?

15. Halfwise says:

LMHF#1: As I understand it, he has played a role in player-personnel in both Detroit (under and learning from Holland/Nill, two of the best) and Hockey Canada. Has he not?

Don’t see him as lacking the knowledge to do this.

When I was much younger I got hired by a big company and over a couple of decades got promoted into a bunch of jobs for which I was not actually qualified. It was wonderful and I learned a lot, but the first year of my performance in any of those jobs was not impressive. I didn’t know what I didn’t know, and as for what I DID know, let’s just say that the problems showed up way faster than their solutions.

It’s a competitive league, every team is using their experience to get better. But the Oilers have chosen to use their loyal fan base to fund a kind of personal development program and wilderness retreat for various insiders, starting with K Lowe, Bucky, MacT and so forth.

The Oilers are behind, and the rest of the league is not slowing down to let them catch up. The Oilers have to be well above-average in how they are managed, just to catch up and become average. I’d feel different if they were mid-pack, maybe, but look at them. Man.

This team needs management that is better than average to make up for the years when management was worse than average.

I thought that when Katz first bought the team he would start by choosing great management and see where it took him. I was wrong. He’s clearly a loyal guy and the evidence shows he stuck with leaders who are not as good as their competition. Say what you want about Burke and Feaster, but their comments on K Lowe’s management skills were correct. Finally, it looks like time for a change.

Get better management, make better decisions, catch up to average and build from there.

16. Ducey says:

The Oilers should send Ference down to the minors to save $900K on the Cap.

17. Halfwise says:

Ducey:
    The Oilers should send Ference down to the minors to save $900K on the Cap.

Maybe Chiarelli is in town to help TCAF with his retirement speech.

18. pocession charge says:

stevezie: See this is what we were talking about earlier. Everyone does not know Ference has a ntc.

Damn. I guess Klima’s Bucket really did need the caps lock after all….

19. 5-14-6-1 says:

pocession charge,

But even that didn’t work.

20. LostBoy says:

Dunno how much if any stock to put in Van Diest’s opinion, but:

“Derek Van Diest
    ‏@SUNdvandiest
    Don’t think #Oilers looking at Chiarelli as GM, but to work with MacTavish. Similar to #RedWings use to have with Ken Holland and Jim Nill.”

Dunno that I’d buy that Chiarelli’s best option going forward will be to join current Oilers management. Replace I can see. Join, not so much.

21. LMHF#1 says:

kinger_OIL: Kessel for two firsts that ended up being Seguin and Hamilton: that’s awesome trade for Boston.Or maybe you meant bad for Leafs?The Leafs miscalculated badly how poor their team was, and they gave up 2 very high picks as a result

22. gr8one says:

No to Chiarelli….if only because he might be the only other hockey guy in the world that could see value in keeping Ference.

But really…other then that, I like the idea of Chiarelli being hired. He most certainly learned his lesson sit trading away a young budding superstar.

23. stush18 says:

LostBoy:
    Dunno how much if any stock to put in Van Diest’s opinion, but:

“Derek Van Diest
    ‏@SUNdvandiest

Dunno that I’d buy that Chiarelli’s best option going forward will be to join current Oilers management.Replace I can see.Join, not so much.

I can see him looking at his cards and thinking

“Hmmm. Edmonton has a lot of talent and an incompetant poop for a gm. If i become an “advisor”, its only a matter of time before hes fired and i get to inherit the reins. “

24. B S says:

My vote is for McDavid, Roy, Yak as a line. Soft minutes and you can hide them at home. If McDavid gets the defensive game and faceoffs down, then you can switch him with Roy, and rotate Roy out of the lineup within two years.

Yes Yak will need to flourish with any center, but first he has to learn what to do as a winger. A full season of Roy and Yak should (not will, but we should be expecting it to) teach him how to get open and communicate successfully with an NHL center. Then he can transfer what he learns to playing with Drai or McD the following year. If he bumps up Roy’s numbers and gets Roy a healthy contract somewhere he can consider it a fair trade.

I get that McJesus is supposed to be a fantastic talent, but he will need to defend and backcheck if he is going to be an NHL Center, and I haven’t seen any evidence he can do that yet, and expecting him to suddenly do it in the NHL against grown men is absurd.

In two years, when he’s comfortable at center you can run Hall Jesus Yak as your first line and run away laughing, but let the kid get his feet wet before you through him in the deep end.

Roy is not the best available center, but as others have said he might get you the most bang for your buck. $2 mil.> vs $4.5mil. for a real 2 way center. spend the difference on upgrading defence and goal.

25. Ducey says:

gr8one:

He did let Ference walk as a UFA. Plus he knows that he can just send him to minors to save cap space anyway.

26. Rational Zealot says:

LMHF#1: I believe the trade was good for Boston. RZ said it wasn’t even debatable and that Chiarelli made a mistake.

Who the picks turned into is irrelevant. That’s a simple fact.

As for the salary cap space angle. Kessel’s contract at the time was cheaper than Eberle’s. He is also better than Eberle. Would you trade Eberle for two first round picks and a second? Of course, not. That would be a terrible trade. Not as bad as trading Kessel but bad enough.

27. RexLibris says:

Chiarelli probably has value if he replaces Scott Howson (do I sound like a broken record yet?)

Putting him above MacTavish, strange as it may sound, concerns me. Putting him on MacTavish’s shoulder in the historic role as “Are You Sure You Want To Do That” guy, I prefer.

As noted, MacTavish seems to be able to spot forward talent but he can’t seem to find a defenseman if one fell out of his ear. If Chiarelli can fix that, then so be it.

I’m trying to think of a way that Babcock could come in without replace MacTavish, but just don’t see it. If he really wants to be GM he needs to learn underneath an experienced guy and, well, we ain’t got one.

The Hail-Mary option here is to hire Chiarelli to replace MacTavish and bring Babcock in as Assistant GM/Head Coach with the idea that Babcock eventually takes over from Chiarelli when he moves up to President of Hockey Operations.

That sounds like an Oilers thing to *try* and do.

28. LoDog says:

I DIDNT SEE KLIMAS POST ABOUT THE NMC STOP MAKING JOKES WE ALL MAKE MISTAKES!!!

29. B S says:

RE: “This changes everything”. I know it’s a big deal, but in terms of how we approach the offseason it shouldn’t change anything. Instead of McDavid (or Eichel, though I think we all doubt it) imagine it’s Strome, which we could have drafted 3rd overall. New rookie center, what would you have done? what would be different? I can’t think of anything different in the way I would have wanted the Oil to work in the offseason. Get D, get a G, boot Ference and Nikitin, start Strome on the wing. If we think Strome makes Leon obsolete we can trade Draisaitl, see its the same. (Note: I don’t mean that McDavid won’t be miles better than any other prospects, just that the same holes and problems are there, and his presence doesn’t fix any of it).

Free agents aren’t going to come here to play unless they are going to play with McDavid. Hall already takes up one slot, and you either need to trade Purcell to open up a spot, or sign them for stupid low money. We don’t want a RW for to much term or they will put us up against the cap when we have to resign McDavid.

Coaching prospects is about the only thing I can see the lottery changing. Hall Ebs and Schultz (and possibly RNH) were starting to get a bad rap for having character and compete problems, McDavid will make coaches believe they can eak out easy wins with this team, and that they can bench the problem children when they don’t behave.

30. LMHF#1 says:

Rational Zealot: Who the picks turned into is irrelevant.That’s a simple fact.

As for the salary cap space angle.Kessel’s contract at the time was cheaper than Eberle’s.He is also better than Eberle.Would you trade Eberle for two first round picks and a second?Of course, not.That would be a terrible trade.Not as bad as trading Kessel but bad enough.

Kessel signed a deal for over 5 mil per when he was traded.

Eberle didn’t make 6 mil until 2013-2014.

What are you talking about?

I take it you’d also trade Eberle for Kessel right now? You’re crazy.

31. pocession charge says:

LoDog:
    I DIDNT SEE KLIMAS POST ABOUT THE NMC STOP MAKING JOKES WE ALL MAKE MISTAKES!!!

Easy does it. We’re just having a hockey conversation.

32. McSorley33 says:

There is some guy in here still talking about Thomas Chabot ….#16 on Button list.

Just watched Canada U18 vs Finland and Thomas Chabot was named the best Canadian for that game….

Smooth skater….

Jon’s got a good post up about the Chia stuff:

I would agree with it.

If they add Chia to the mix as POHO I’d be happy with it.

34. pocession charge says:

RexLibris,

Hey Rex did you head down to the Red Mile last night?

35. RexLibris says:

Woodguy,

Howson needs an “Are You Sure About That” guy on his shoulder.

Has for years now.

He needs to go. I harbour serious concerns over what he might suggest for the “betterment” of the team.

36. McSorley33 says:

Jon K,

Today’s McDavid thought of the day: what if MacT had traded the 2015 pick for a goalie or top centre in the 2014 offseason?
    *******************************************************************************************
    I can remember a few people in here that wanted to trade that pick….not many – but a few…

37. Pouzar says:

Woodguy: Jon’s got a good post up about the Chia stuff:http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/2015/04/22/ex-boston-bruins-g-m-peter-chiarelli-meeting-with-the-edmonton-oilers/I would agree with it.Stauffer mentioned on his show today that POHO is more likely than GM for Chia too.MacT isn’t going anywhere. (heard that before??) and if Chia comes on its as VP/Senior Advisor or POHOMy guess is that the OTT GM job is that he’s doing his due dili8gence before talking seriously to OTT about their GM job.I don’t see Chia turning down OTT GM job for VP or Senior Advisor, but he might take the POHO job here instead of GM in OTT.MacT came in as the “are you sure you want to do that guy” for Tambo and then saw he was just a mess and Tambo was let go.MacT hired Howson to be that guy, but “that guy” shouldn’t be a friend or someone who reports to you.If they add Chia to the mix as POHO I’d be happy with it.

Beat me to it. I would be happy with POHO as well and that’s where my $$ is.

38. stevezie says:

McSorley33,

Maybe we make the playoffs. A bad plan payed off. You are endorsing a third from last place finish.

Unless you believe they were trying to tank.

39. Bling says:

RE: Chiarelli

I really hope he doesn’t join the Oilers organization.

That Seguin move was, IMO, a franchise crippler.

The Bruins could’ve had a Detroit-style run of 20 years of elite results with Seguin/Hamilton taking over as Bergeron/Chara began to run out of steam.

I’ve criticized MacTavish a lot, but he has never stooped to making that poor of a decision, and keep in mind that there was all kinds of pressure on MacT to make a stupid move. Neither he nor Tambo did that.

Chiarelli was in a no pressure situation and made about as poor as a decision as you could possibly make.

I don’t buy this narrative of Seguin needing a wake-up call. He was a young player with elite pedigree who had easily performed to expectations given his age.

That’s a real blemish for Boston, and I wouldn’t want a guy like that anywhere near here.

RexLibris,

That guy *can’t* answer to MacT.

That person has to answer to Nicholson

As much as MacT has to answer to Nicholson, he;s still Katz’ friend and Nicholson will want his own ears in the day to day stuff.

Nicholson seems smart in that he *knows* day to day hockey stuff isn’t his wheel house, so he’ll need *his guy* there.

41. gd says:

The fact the Bruins won a cup two years after the Kessell trade, before Hamilton was drafted and with minimal help from Seguin and while losing Savard to injury is a pretty good sign he won the trade no matter who the draft picks turned out to be.

42. Younger Oil says:

Pouzar:
    Short survey on who will be watching Erie vs SSM tonight?

I thought it was tomorrow?

43. Klima's_Bucket says:

Remember how Chiarelli let Andrew Ference walk from Boston because he was going downhill fast?
    Remember MacT giving Ference a 4 year deal and NMC so that he can never be sent to the minors?

I like this Chiarelli guy already…

44. Pouzar says:

Younger Oil: I thought it was tomorrow?

Oh fer **** sakes.

You are right.

Anyone watching Red Sox versus Rays?

45. "Steve Smith" says:

Rational Zealot:
    My theory on general managers is their first job is to avoid the big mistake,

Do you know who was pretty good at that? Steve Tambellini.

46. RexLibris says:

pocession charge:
    RexLibris,

Hey Rex did you head down to the Red Mile last night?

I don’t live in Calgary.

Even if I did, unless it was with a McDavid jersey, I don’t think I’d have any reason to.

47. Ca$h-Money! says:

Bling:
    RE: Chiarelli

I really hope he doesn’t join the Oilers organization.

That Seguin move was, IMO, a franchise crippler.

That sort of depends. Could be that he’s the guy that knows better than anyone not to do that. We don’t really know how he feels about that decision today.

That’s not me advocating for Chiarelli, it’s me saying it’s not that simple.

12 months ago an awful lot of people would have said that the worst active GM in the NHL was Garth Snow, who was most famous for his Dipeitro contract.

48. frjohnk says:

Pouzar:
    Short survey on who will be watching Erie vs SSM tonight?

Tomorrow and Friday I thought

49. RexLibris says:

Woodguy:
    RexLibris,

That guy *can’t* answer to MacT.

That person has to answer to Nicholson

Is this beginning to look more and more like a Game of Thrones subplot?

Agreed, though. MacTavish’s co-pilot has to be in a role similar to Associate Coach and the question I have then is: how can you structure that so they complement each other rather than cripple one another with backstabbing and scheming?

Competition can be healthy, but it can turn on a dime and office politics are notorious for people sinking the entire ship just to see one rat drown.

50. stevezie says:

Rational Zealot: Who the picks turned into is irrelevant. That’s a simple fact.

You have a good point that you can’t just look at the results. If Seguin and Hamilton were both busts that wouldn’t make the trade worse. He traded for percentages, not players. It was a calculated risk for a guy who made it clear he didn’t want to sign in Boston. (Remember that, it is an important detail.) How bad Toronto was at the time surely factored into the calculations.

His risk payed off big time. Even if that is not the whole story, I think it is relevant (just as the results of the Smyth trade are relevant.)

Even if you don’t think the results are relevant, I don’t know how you can call the trade a mistake. Kessel was famously unwilling to sign in Boston, so it stands to reason Toronto’s offer was the best one anyone in the league made. It was market price.

51. RexLibris says:

“Steve Smith”: Do you know who was pretty good at that? Steve Tambellini.

What if Steve Tambellini WAS the big mistake?

We’re into meta-failures now.

52. Ducey says:

Rational Zealot: Who the picks turned into is irrelevant.That’s a simple fact.

Ok. So if EDM trades next years first and second and 2017 first for, uh, I don’t know, let say Tarasenko. Would there not be a pretty good chance that that works out really poorly for EDM?

If STL can get by without Tarasenko (BOS clearly could get by without Kessel) then they are adding some pretty good picks. EDM would be castrating their rebuild.

The picks are relevant. It was foreseebale TOR would not emerge from the wilderness.

Tell you what. Why don’t you go to a Leafs or Bruins blog or two and try to convince them TOR won that trade.

53. RexLibris says:

frjohnk: Tomorrow and Friday I thought

The WHL, OHL and OKC playoffs run tomorrow and Friday, I believe.

54. Магия 10 says:

Ironic if they told mact they are looking for an advisor to help him and they call him on skype when they realize pc should actually be the gm.#karmasabitch

Bling:
    RE: Chiarelli

I really hope he doesn’t join the Oilers organization.

That Seguin move was, IMO, a franchise crippler.

I said that on twitter and was inundated with tweets that it was Neely and not Chia who pushed Seguin out.

That being said, the return he got was not good.

Seguin represents something you can only draft.

His return had to be something you can only draft, or as close as you can get.

Nill fleeced him.

Also,

The word out of Boston was that Chia got fired for the Boychuck decision, not the Seguin one, which dovetails with Neely being the one who pushed out Seguin.

Chi deciding to get under the cap by trading his 2nd best Dman when his oldest Dman in almost ready to retire is a bad decision.

56. Gerta Rauss says:

I haven’t read the whole thread so apologies if this has been posted already. A couple of links with quotes from the owner of the Otters and McDavid’s dad about playing for the Oilers.

57. McSorley33 says:

Eric D of the Globe and Mail :

“In many ways, the presence of McDavid, Nugent-Hopkins and Draisaitl is reminiscent of the time in the mid-1990s when the Quebec Nordiques had at their disposal three future Hall of Famers – Joe Sakic, Peter Forsberg and Mats Sundin, all of them under the age of 24 and brimming with potential.”

Add in Lander
    Add in Gordon
    Maybe Yak 2

But some people want to solve the C depth “problem”?

Fix malaria in Africa – **then** give them high speed internet.

58. TheOtherJohn says:

McSorley33,

No problem keeping all of the great C depth
    How are we gonna solve the depth problem at top 4 D?

RexLibris:

You are right.

Was one of Lowe’s mistakes for sure.

Gerta Rauss:

Thanks Rauss, excellent stuff there.

I can’t believe this young man is going to play for the team I cheer for.

Gonna be a fun 15 year so I hope.

RexLibris: Is this beginning to look more and more like a Game of Thrones subplot?

I don’t think it would be too Machavellian but Nicholson does need *his guy* in the room.

62. McSorley33 says:

TheOtherJohn,
    How are we gonna solve the depth problem at top 4 D?
    ***********************************************************
    The solution to that problem will not be found in a very slow, small, soon to be 32 year old Derek Roy.

My take is top paring D-men can only be found in the draft…..not many teams looking to trade their top D-men.

Klef -Nurse ( all Draft )
    Fayne – Chabot/Kylington

If they package Dr. Drai and a pick for a stud – **young** D-men cool….that still leaves

1. RNH
    2. McDavid
    3. Lander
    4. Gordon
    5. Yak 2

63. stevezie says:

Woodguy,

It’s interesting. There once was a time when no one was sure if Redden was making Chara or Chara was making Redden. Chiarelli picked Chara (considering his relationship with both players he may really have had a choice) and won a cup. He obviously knows defencemen.

A couple years later people were unsure of whether Boychuk was a product of Boston or Boston was a product of Boychuk. Chiarelli picked the former and lost his job. He obviously doesn’t know defencemen.

Life is tricky. Forget the Dipietro contract, Garth Snow was only a few months removed from the Vanek trade when he acquired Leddy, Boychuk, Grabo, Kulemin, and Halak.

The time may come when MacT is a hall of fame GM.

64. rickithebear says:

5-14-6-1: IF it does (and it just might…), do you think the owners will put their collective heads together and make a temporary adjustment – like one compliance buyout each this summer?

That just frees up stupids!

iI was nervous that calgary would be ahead of us for the next 6 years.

Then i lookat themm 54.4M cap signed
    11 fwds
    7 D signed
    2 Golaies
    this summer thye ahve to sign
    Backlund 3-3.5M +2M
    Gaudreau 5-6M +3-4M
    Monohan 6M +4.25M
    Coulburne 2.5-3M +1.5M
    Granlund 2-3M +1-2M
    Ortio 2m +1M

Year after that Same Bennet 6m +3.75M

they will need 81M to keep this team.

What you are watching now will be drastically different!

I hope there are no outs!

65. misfit says:

This is the complete list of all of Chiarelli’s moves as an NHL GM.

I give him full points for signing Chara, but there’s a LOT more bad than good on that list (and most of the good seem to be deadline deals, and the deadline always favours the buyers).

But more than that, the mots concerning thing for me with Chiarelli is how he has 3 times traded young star players as cap dumps. Wheeler, Seguin, and Kessel were 24, 21, and 21 respectively when he moved them. The Kessel deal turned out great simply because of how badly Toronto shit the bed the following seasons giving him Seguin and Hamilton (who they were doubly fortunate to land on account of him dropping way farther than he ever should’ve) wit the picks.

I don’t know about anyone else, but that makes me nervous when in 3 years, McDavid comes off his ELC and we’re potentially up against the cap. I’d like to know the guy in charge is able to come up with a better plan to cut salary than trading a star player in his early 20’s.

66. Younger Oil says:

Gerta Rauss:

“I’ve been wondering if Gretzky is going to become involved with the Oilers now. I know he and Bob Nicholson have a very close relationship.”

McDavid’s Dad said that, so it is very speculative, but that is an interesting thing that I haven’t heard brought up yet. I’m not sure how I feel about it. It could be great for the players, especially McDavid, but also perpetuates hiring alumni.

67. stevezie says:

Just a reminder that Snow did not fix the Islanders by packaging Strome. He got available guys.

We don’t need to trade Drai. We can if a perfect deal arises, but we don’t need to.

Now is the time to sign guys. Now is the time to trade picks. Now is the time for a Snow job.

68. stevezie says:

misfit,

I don’t think he lost the Wheeler deal. Peverly was an important part of that cup.

Agreed he got lucky to get Seguin, but let’s say it was Kessel for Hamilton and a random first rounder from the five to fifteen range in 2010 instead of Seguin. There’s still a good chance he wins that deal.

(He also made an obscene overpayment for an underperforming Kaberle that year, but I guess he won the cup so maybe it helped? )

69. Unicorns says:

Nicholson seems to be embracing the Oiler weird way of doing things. It’s like we fans are too happy about the lottery so they need to scare us by ‘not interviewing’ a GM when we have a sitting GM, and a guy to boot that likes getting rid of elite young skill players and likes grinder old school hockey. Kinda the opposite of what most Oiler fans I would say see Oiler hockey as being.

70. G Money says:

Let’s take a look at the Tyler Seguin that Chia traded, shall we:

Rookie year: 22 pts in 74 games (0.297 ppg)
    Year 2: 67 pts in 81 games (0.83 ppg)
    Year 3: 32 pts in 48 games (0.667 ppg)

To put that in perspective, Yak had an almost identical 31 pts in 48 games that year (0.646 ppg) as a rookie, and Hall had 50 pts in 45 gms (1.111 ppg).

That’s a pretty big slide, and in an unusual year for it to happen. This is why there’s a “character issues” backstory to the trade – one that Seguin himself has more or less confirmed.

71. G Money says:

Unicorns,

Yes, I just don’t get it.

I’m 100% certain that some of the people complaining about the Chiarelli interview are some of the same names that have complained (rightly) in the past that the Oilers don’t look wide enough afield for good candidates when considering new hires.

This is what “looking widely afield for good candidates” looks like, folks.

72. franksterra says:

Ducey: Having her talk to Nicholson might be a challenge.She would also likely to be pretty inactive during free agency and the draft.And talk about being immune to criticism.

Nicholson – CEO
    Chiarelli – President Hockey Operations
    MacT – GM

Hi all, McDandy and all the other news has pulled me back after a year long lurk. How does that management arrangement work?

Nicholson is responsible for all aspects of the 4 teams in the 4 leagues?
    Chiarelli is responsible for roster and cap management for all 4 teams?
    MacT is responsible for the day to day and the deals, drafting, 50 man list, etc for the Oilers?

Seems workable, what other teams have this model?

And Lowe becomes…a retired man in the Kootenays?

73. 5-14-6-1 says:

rickithebear: I hope there are no outs!

Me too, but it makes you wonder. All the top teams have managed their cap with the idea of never-ending revenue growth, and now that has all changed.

I guess both the BoG and the NHLPA would have to sign off on any new deal like that, if it’s possible under the CBA.

74. G Money says:

franksterra: And Lowe becomes…a retired man in the Kootenays?

Um, excuse me, but I have a cabin in the Kootenays and I’d like to continue to enjoy it.

Let’s send him to Regina, the place that gifted Edmonton with Eric Tillman.

Fairs fair.

G Money:
    Unicorns,

Yes, I just don’t get it.

This is what “looking widely afield for good candidates” looks like, folks.

There is a segment of fans who will hate anything the Oilers do.

Ask them to name who’d they pick.

Then rip that pick apart.

Thing that scares me most is the Rask contract.

I understand he’s one of the best, but paying a goalie more than ~4MM can really impact what you can spend elsewhere.

Should be a constant conveyor belt of young goalies coming through the organization.

Like drummers in Spinal Tap.

77. Unicorns says:

G Money:
    Unicorns,

Yes, I just don’t get it.

This is what “looking widely afield for good candidates” looks like, folks.

How many guys do they need involved? Maybe Chia will have defensemen as his pets and Mac gets forwards? Howson on goalies?

78. djs says:

On the whole, Chi’s resume is impressive. Sure there’s blemishes (there will always be blemishes!), but he guided a team from a non-contender to a contender to a cup winner. If you’re the GM of that team, you’re a good GM. Full stop.

Whether he’s right for this team at this time is what’s up for debate here folks.

79. Aitch says:

SkatinginSand,

Most teams have a kid or two around at the draft, IIRC. It he only reason anyone cares about him, is because he is the boss’s son and because the team has been in the tank. If they had been winning the petition would be to ensure he WAS on stage.

As for Roy, you gotta remember that his partnership with Yak began about the same time that Eakins was shown the door. No one was worrying about who he could play with when Kruegerr was behind the bench. Though he sure looked good flanked by Horc, a defensively-sound centre who could play with skilled wingers.

80. Glock9 says:

G Money,

I’ll second that idea. Been in the west Kootenays for 25 years and Lowe just wouldn’t fit here – Anywhere East of Edmonton is perfect !

81. wheatnoil says:

Unicorns: True, but you normally don’t look for candidates when someone holds the job currently. Perhaps they are creating a new position, but too many chefs…..

Speculation from Friedman is that Chia is being interviewed for an executive position like POHO. I think, as Woodguy has put it earlier, that Nicholson wants one of his hires in the room, performing the POHO role… providing overall direction and being in the room on all discussions.

I suspect that Lowe, for all intents and purposes is out… or at the very least, is in the same as Nelson.

What is clear is that Nicholson’s new position may be more than just re-arranging deck chairs. A week ago we were talking about how MacT and Lowe were not likely feeling any pressure. I imagine they feel some now.

82. Dashingsilverfox says:

G Money:
    Let’s take a look at the Tyler Seguin that Chia traded, shall we:

Rookie year: 22 pts in 74 games (0.297 ppg)
    Year 2: 67 pts in 81 games (0.83 ppg)
    Year 3: 32 pts in 48 games (0.667 ppg)

That’s a pretty big slide, and in an unusual year for it to happen.This is why there’s a “character issues” backstory to the trade – one that Seguin himself has more or less confirmed.

Now let’s add a little context.

In his rookie year, Seguin played mostly wing on the 3rd line with 3rd tier line mates.

P/60 5V5

2010-11 – 1.44

2011/12 – 2.69

2012/13 – 2.27

2013/14 – 2.84 (1st season in Dallas playing #1C)

2014/15 – 2.63

Taylor Hall

2010/11 – 1.78 (1st line minutes and line mates right from the start)

2011/12 – 2.07

2012/13 – 3.15

2013/14 – 2.91

2014/15 – 1.94

Nail Yakupov

2012/13 – 2.20 (21% shooting percentage)

2013/14 – 1.43

2014/15 – 1.12

Obviously one of these is not like the others and you can’t draw any firm conclusions, especially about a players “character” while disregarding how the player was being used.

As soon as Seguin landed in Dallas and given the role that his draft pedigree would warrant, he took off.

And here’s a quote from a former team mate and some more info on how the Bruins deployed him:

“I think it was overblown,” Peverley told Bleacher Report, of Seguin’s alleged off-ice issues. “There’s a lot of media in Boston. It’s unfortunate the way it was, but I think he’s taken it in stride here and put it behind him. I think he’s done a good job that way. He’s been excellent with us so far here. He’s stayed focused, and I think he’s been playing a good, overall rounded game.”

The Stars have had the good sense to play Seguin where he’s supposed to play, his natural center position. In Boston, the team tried to put the square peg in the round hole too much, playing Seguin on the wing, trying to make him a checker on a depth line.

Seguin isn’t big enough for that, and his natural skating stride isn’t suited for the wing. As a centerman, he can skate with a wider stance and be more of a surveyor of the landscape; as a winger, he had to skate with too much of a hippety-hop stride with a narrow vision.

It didn’t play to his strengths, yet Boston seemed flummoxed when Seguin didn’t turn into Terry O’Reilly or something.”

Amazing how narratives can spin out of control.

83. 5-14-6-1 says:

Woodguy: Like drummers in Spinal Tap.

Just have to write their contracts with a ‘no gardening’ clause!

84. Dashingsilverfox says:

Woodguy: There is a segment of fans who will hate anything the Oilers do.

Ask them to name who’d they pick.

Then rip that pick apart.

If the Oilers are indeed sidelining Lowe with these moves, it’ll be the best thing that has happened to this team in a decade…even better than winning the McDavid lottery.

The problem is Lowe…always has been.

Now let’s hope Nicholson has a very wide broom and sweeps out the entire cabal.

85. hunter1909 says:

Re Nicholson’s taking over the running of the Edmonton Oilers:

He talks great. Like someone who really knows his stuff.

Obvious Katz’s “kindness” extends to KLowe and MacT only so far.

86. hunter1909 says:

I thought I was fed up with the Oilers. Cynical, with no interest in worrying over a 10 to 1 shot on anything. Then they win the lottery.

How many others were close to no longer caring about the team, prior to the lottery miracle?

87. TheGreatMutato says:

Dashingsilverfox: Also worth noting is, that in his 5th season, Seguin had the highest PPG in the entire NHL at 1.08 beating linemate Jamie Benn’s 1.06 and would have won the NHL scoring race if he had not been low bridged by Dimitri Kulikov and missed 11 games.

Crosby was at 1.09 and would have won the NHL scoring race if people still vaccinated their children. Just saying.

88. G Money says:

Dashingsilverfox,

So a few points then:

– you’ve confirmed that Seguin was a relatively slow starter who blossomed into a top notch player. We do not disagree.

– No matter how you look at it, he dipped in his third year. Thanks for the confirming viewpoint.

– Note that Peverley said “overblown”. Not “wrong”. I have no idea what the Boston media were purveying – booze, drugs? Don’t know. Out here in the hinterlands, we heard that he had a problem with too much partying and not taking the game seriously enough. Which is something that was essentially confirmed in a handful of interviews, not to mention Peverley’s “overblown”.

– So he found his way in Dallas and has been a terrific player since, but he needed a trade to get there.

The point here is – without that trade, is that fourth year up or down? We’ll never know, but assuming that it would be up contradicts the verbal coming from Seguin, Peverley, and the media, and contradicts the reasons why Chiarelli would trade him.

On a side note, I find it interesting that his best EV P/60 would be Taylor Hall’s third best year … man is that kid going to rip it up with McDavid as his centre.

89. G Money says:

Glock9,

Whereabouts are you? We’re “east enders” – Columbia Ridge.

90. Dashingsilverfox says:

TheGreatMutato: Crosby was at 1.09 and would have won the NHL scoring race if people still vaccinated their children.Just saying.

Mibad…missed it by THAT much.

In an event, Seguin, once placed in the role he is suited for went supernova.

In looking P/60 5V5…

Crosby – 5.93

Seguin – 5.81

There’s your difference rlght there.

91. sliderule says:

I thought with Nicholsons comments about drafting better if they hired someone it would be a draft guru.

Chia is definitely the anti guru.The Bruins drafting has been brutal.

Strange interview.

92. 5-14-6-1 says:

sliderule: Since 2007 the Bruins have had four players play over 100 games .All first round picks.

‘Pro’-curement, is a different matter though. Oilers need a lot of help with assessing NHL talent.

93. misfit says:

G Money:
    Unicorns,

Yes, I just don’t get it.

This is what “looking widely afield for good candidates” looks like, folks.

I can only speak for myself, and I’m not entirely sure I count as a “Chiarelli interview complainer”, but I do think it’s worth looking closer at his resume as a GM before just blindly falling in line with the notion that it’s a good idea. “No former ties to the Oilers” and “Has won a cup” can both be good, but they don’t make someone a good candidate on their own. Just like how “played for the Devils” doesn’t make a player good defensively, or how “won a cup with the Bruins” wasn’t a good reason to give Ference that contract, or “played on a line with Stamkos” isn’t a reason to give Eberle’s minutes to Purcell (all real examples).

I’m not necessarily against Chiarelli, but there are things about his history that are concerning for sure.

94. Dashingsilverfox says:

G Money:
    Dashingsilverfox,

So a few points then:

– you’ve confirmed that Seguin was a relatively slow starter who blossomed into a top notch player.We do not disagree.

– No matter how you look at it, he dipped in his third year.Thanks for the confirming viewpoint.

– Note that Peverley said “overblown”.Not “wrong”.I have no idea what the Boston media were purveying – booze, drugs?Don’t know.Out here in the hinterlands, we heard that he had a problem with too much partying and not taking the game seriously enough.Which is something that was essentially confirmed in a handful of interviews, not to mention Peverley’s “overblown”.

The point here is – without that trade, is that fourth year up or down?We’ll never know, but assuming that it would be up contradicts the verbal coming from Seguin, Peverley, and the media, and contradicts the reasons why Chiarelli would trade him.

Nothing of the sort…Seguin, as you likely noticed in the article was being square pegged in Boston likely because the Bruins had so many centres.

Yes, young men with millions of dollars often like the night life a little too much (I used to run into the “Boys on the Bus” at more than a few watering holes and “social gatherings” back in the day) but there is an unwritten rule amongst the Edmonton sports media that the activities of those young men tend to go unreported unless criminal charges are filed.

It appears no such rule is being practised in Boston.

I agree the trade was the best thing to happen to Seguin and I’m sure he would agree.

As for Hall, I think the worry is his injury history as his production P/60 has fallen off dramatically in the past 2 seasons. (and remember the insane proportions of scoring events Hall was involved in 2012/13)

As you say, it will be fascinating to watch how the McDavid/Hall combo plays out against the Seguin /Benn combo since the latter are now among the top 5 players in the league and Benn is just 25.

95. Dashingsilverfox says:

Bergeron, Kopitar and Toews are the Selke finalists.

96. Mr DeBakey says:

“In Memory of Elizabeth Reed” is a great band’s greatest song.

There was a “Bruins Change” program of the discussion amongst the Bruins’ Braintrust around trading or keeping Seguin. Its mostly stupid on parade, Billy Beane wudda canned them all.

The Oilers aren’t likely to get a C who is a better fit than Roy for anywhere near his Cap Hit. With Gordon’s back going, The Oilers need to start the year with lotsa Centers.

97. Dashingsilverfox says:

misfit: I can only speak for myself, and I’m not entirely sure I count as a “Chiarelli interview complainer”, but I do think it’s worth looking closer at his resume as a GM before just blindly falling in line with the notion that it’s a good idea.“No former ties to the Oilers” and “Has won a cup” can both be good, but they don’t make someone a good candidate on their own.Just like how “played for the Devils” doesn’t make a player good defensively, or how “won a cup with the Bruins” wasn’t a good reason to give Ference that contract, or “played on a line with Stamkos” isn’t a reason to give Eberle’s minutes to Purcell (all real examples).

You have to remember than the Bruins for the past several years have been drafting very low in the second and later rounds.

98. Unicorns says:

wheatnoil: We don’t know if Chia is being interviewed for a GM position. Although Lowe has not been formally dismissed as President of Hockey Operations, Nicholson’s new mandate specifically covers hockey operations, basically infringing directly on Lowe’s turf.

So he’s interviewing a POHO when he has a POHO? Still weird and very Oilers.

99. Dashingsilverfox says:

Mr DeBakey:
    “In Memory of Elizabeth Reed” is a great band’s greatest song.

There was a “Bruins Change” program of the discussion amongst the Bruins’ Braintrust around trading or keeping Seguin.Its mostly stupid on parade, Billy Beane wudda canned them all.

The Oilers aren’t likely to get a C who is a better fir than Roy for anywhere near his Cap Hit.With Gordon’s back going, The Oilers need to start the year with lotsa Centers.

Two others I think the Oilers should consider ahead of Roy are Shawn Matthias and Mike Santorelli…they bring a lot more D to the party and both can penalty kill.

100. Dashingsilverfox says:

Unicorns: So he’s interviewing a POHO when he has a POHO? Still weird and very Oilers.

The Oilers Skype account must still be active.

And Lowe and MacT are in Europe at the U-18s,

Coincidence?

101. russ99 says:

I still think Howson and Morey Gare are the bare minimum that have to be dismissed after the “audit”.

No GM can make smart moves if scouting is feeding him compromised information.

102. 5-14-6-1 says:

Dashingsilverfox,

They’re back now, according to Oilers Now with Bob.

Edit: Dang, the oversized trackpad deleted some text:

That is a link to MacT’s interview today on Oilers Now.

This is part of the forensic audit. Part of the forensic audit is getting outside opinions on management, and outside opinions on coaching. While simultaneously serving as defacto job interviews. The final stages of the audit, where Nicholson has assumed actually authority.

Expect multiple interviews regarding management and multiple interviews regarding coaching.

Essentially, Lowe and MacT and Nelson are all in the same boat now, waiting for Nicholson to complete the audit.

I expect MacT is the safest. Nelson far less so (unfortunately). I think Nelson is the best option for coach. And I expect Lowe is going to be “promoted” to a job where he no longer has input.

104. "Steve Smith" says:

Dashingsilverfox: Nothing of the sort…Seguin, as you likely noticed in the article was being square pegged in Boston likely because the Bruins had somany centres.

DSF has always identified “too many centres” as a problem for a hockey team. His war against Eastasia, however, is a new development.

105. Glock9 says:

G Money:
    Glock9,

Whereabouts are you?We’re “east enders” – Columbia Ridge.

That Funky Town – Nelson.. Moved here 25 years ago from Edmonton. (born & raised)

106. Eastern Oil says:

Dashingsilverfox,

I’m in SW Ont and saw a lot of Sanorelli this year before he was traded. He seemed to be more effective on the wing in TO but I think that had something to do with his linemates when he made the move. I like him as a player and wanted the Oil to sign him last year as a UFA along with Perreault and Winnik.

Haven’t seen much of Matthias other than late HNIC games, but didn’t mind the small viewings.

Santorelli would fit in nicely and would be cheaper than Soderberg although not as much defensive acumen.

« Older Comments