After last night’s news, the summer’s procurement possibilities may be stronger and the Edmonton Oilers may be prepared to aim higher. Along with stunning youth in the CHL (McDavid, Nurse, Draisaitl), Edmonton has equally stunning holes on the big club.
We know the list of needs (it is below) but the additions of the No. 1 overall pick added to (it looks like) Peter Chiarelli suggests a brand new day. One suspects that Bob Nicholson will make a splash when Chiarelli is announced (although it’s unlikely there will be blood in the streets it’s a good bet a few people are released from employment) and the summer acquisitions are likely to be more famous than the names (Neuvirth, etc) we had discussed earlier in the spring. Fair?
MACT’S SUMMER LIST
- A No.1 goaltender. (Antti Niemi)
- A veteran top-pairing defenseman (Vlasic)
- A replacement for Jeff Petry.
- A 2line C with experience and the ability to play a two-way game. (Carl Soderberg)
I think we need to re-visit the summer list, or at least the answers to the list.
- Goal: We’ve listed Neuvirth for some time, but maybe there’s a better name? Is there a goalie (please not Talbot, Sather will want everything but McDavid) we can look at? Jonathan Bernier? Maybe the Oilers should acquire Bernier, sign Neuvirth and free agent O’Connor and run those three (along with Brossoit) in the NHL/AHL? I’m not fond of Crawford or Howard (too much money and too much asset cost). I do think that the chances that Todd McLellan comes here are greater now, and suspect Antti Niemi is the guy.
- Defense: Discussions have surrounded Andrej Sekera but what if we aimed higher? Vlasic? Who is the best defensemen Edmonton could acquire for Martin Marincin and the Penguins pick? That should be a helluva player.
- MacT: “I said at the end of the year, before we were fortunate enough to win the lottery, it’d be a very important developmental year for us. I still believe that. We arguably have the three best players in the CHL right now and they’re going to be flowing into the program, certainly Leon. All three will. Next year, Leon is done with his junior eligibility, as is Darnell. The player we pick will be on our team next year.” Source
If MacT is doing media avails he’s going to be here in the fall, but I do believe the team will change their immediate plans with Chiarelli part of the group. That means the first-round pick, Marincin and maybe someone like Leon Draisaitl could he headed out of town. I can’t see how Chiarelli, with his track record, comes in and marginally improves the roster. Nicholson too, they aren’t coming in to make small improvements this summer, not when they’re coming in this hot. We’re going to see some major movement this summer and it is going to cost prospects. Here is a look at Chiarelli’s track record from Stanley Cup of Chowder.
- Bill Simmons: The Bruins also announced they have fired amateur scouts Mike Chiarelli (Peter’s brother) and Denis Leblanc and European head scout Jukka Holtari. Mike Chiarelli had been with the team for seven seasons and was responsible for scouting in Ontario. Leblanc and Holtari had been with the team for eight seasons. Source
The easiest move for an incoming management group is to fire the scouts. They don’t make a million bucks and with Toronto firing a bunch (plus Chiarelli’s brother being let go) it’ll be a late summer task to get that straightened away.
I think he’s the next step. This move isn’t likely to come soon but the lottery win married to some urgency in getting things rolling tells me that the Oilers are bringing in a new coach. If they’re bringing in McLellan, another ‘very important development’ year is going to be replaced by ‘we had to trade Martin, that pick and Leon to address need and we’re delighted to have Brent, Antti and Carl here to help the kids’ and that means they’re turning north.
THIS is going to be a very dangerous summer, but it’s also going to be incredibly exciting. Later today: Chiarelli’s past and what it might tell us.
LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE
10 this morning, TSN1260:
- Dennis King, Oilogosphere Icon. We’ll talk lottery, Chiarelli, etc.
- Sarah Connors, Stanley Cup of Chowder. Chiarelli.
- Travis Yost, TSN. Oilers, Senators.
- Kent Wilson, Flames Nation. Looking at the Flames-Canucks.
10-1260 text, @Lowetide on twitter. Talk soon!