REVIEWING THE 2010 DRAFT

This is where it all began. The Katz rebuild (legend holds) began on a cold January day when the Oilers owner, after hearing the only way to get jacks and kings was to tank, not only endorsed it, but suggested the team scorch the earth and wait for the northern prairie winter to do the rest. The rebuild continues and until recently the 2010 draft has been regarded as an absolute failure.

• No. 1 overall: L Taylor Hall. The human chance machine has been the best reason to watch an Oilers game five years running. By Christmas of year one he was pushing the river and that’s been the story since. Robbed of a berth in the Annual All-Star selection 2014, he is absolutely one of the best LW’s in the NHL, age 23. He and Tyler Seguin will no doubt fight it out for best player from the 2010 draft, with Seguin ahead on points and Hall carrying the day in points-per-game. The third best player from this draft? I’ll say Ryan Johansen but that Tarasenko fellow may have something to say before we’re through. Scott Cullen’s study tells us No. 1 overall’s have a 100% chance of playing 100 NHL games (he’s at 299) and the average at this number is a top-line forward. Per 82GP in the NHL, Hall is 29-43-72. Lordy.
  • No. 31 overall: R Tyler Pitlick. He scored well in his one season junior (22 EV goals) but he didn’t resemble anything close to a top 9F in the AHL before season three. Part of that had to do with injuries, and he does look like he can play a crash and bang style when he’s in the NHL, but the offense is really a concern. Of the five players taken immediately after Pitlick, only Alex Petrovic (46 NHL games) is ahead of him. Justin Faulk was taken six spots back. Cullen’s numbers suggest a player taken No. 31 overall has a 35% chance of playing 100 NHL games (Pitlick is now at 27 NHL games) and average is a good to very good minor league who plays 50 or more NHL games.
  • No. 46 overall: D Martin Marincin. There’s some evidence that the Oilers’ inability to evaluate defenseman—the same inability that has Jeff Petry in Montreal—has impacted Marincin’s career. Edmonton would do well to use the big rangy defender until something better comes along—and that could take awhile based on the current depth chart. Tyler Toffoli and Calle Jarnkrok were both selected in the five spots following Marincin, but he should be considered solid value in this range. Players selected No. 46 overall have a 32% chance of playing 100 NHL games (Marincin is at 85 and should pass than number this coming year) and the average player in this range is a good to very good minor league who manages 50 (or so) AHL games. I believe Marincin should be considered a strong candidate for future NHL success based on his first five seasons after the draft.
  • No. 48 overall: L Curtis Hamilton. There was a considerable injury history for Hamilton before the draft and those issues have had considerable impact on his pro career. After a strong Draft+1 season in Saskatoon, Hamilton played 64% of the available AHL games during his entry-level deal. Injuries had a huge impact on him and it was only this season (63GP, 12-20-32) that some of his offense found its way to the AHL. Among those taken immediately afterward, Calle Jarnkrok and Calvin Pickard have made themselves known in the NHL. Cullen’s graph shows a 32% chance of 100 NHL games (Hamilton has made it into one NHL game) and the average is a good to very good AHL player who plays in 50 (or so) NHL games. The change in GMs may not bode well for Hamilton.
  • No. 61 overall: C Ryan Martindale. Big center who had a bit of an uneven rep based on his draft year performance. He was moved along for Steve Pinizzotto in January 2014 and his career track doesn’t look promising. Radko Gudas was taken five slots behind and does look to be cobbling together an NHL career. Among players taken at this position, Scott Cullen informs us they have a 37.5% chance of playing 100 NHL games (Martindale has zero) and the average prospect becomes a good AHL player with less than 50 NHL games to his name.
  • No. 91 overall: D Jeremie Blain. The first player from this draft who didn’t get a contract from the Oilers, Blain has played more in the ECHL than AHL since turning pro. Players taken here have a 24.5% chance of making it to 100 NHL games (Blain has zero) and the average is a good AHL player with fewer than 50 games in the show. No players among the group taken immediately afterward have shown themselves to be NHL players.
  • No. 121 overall: G Tyler Bunz. WHL goalie who had some injury issues along the way and couldn’t find the range as a pro player. Post SP’s of .919 and .921 in his final junior seasons but couldn’t crack .900 during most of his time in the organization. He is an RFA this summer and unlikely to be re-signed by Edmonton. 16% of 100 games (Bunz has 1) and the average is minor league player with under 50 NHL games.
  • No. 162 overall: D Brandon Davidson. One of the great stories for Oilers fans over the last several years, Davidson’s back story is inspiring. He looks very capable as an NHL player in a very small sample size but could develop into a useful 5-7D if given the opportunity. I don’t know if he’s so talented his future is assured but there’s a chance. Cullen says there’s a 15% chance of 100 games (Davidson is at 12) and we’re looking at a minor leaguer here. No one in the five picks after Davidson has played in the NHL—he’s the success story.
  • No. 166 overall: L Drew Czerwonka. Injuries finished his career before he turned pro. 16%, minor leaguer.
  • No. 181 overall: L Kristians Pelss. RIP.
  • No. 202 overall: F Kellen Jones. Has enjoyed a solid AHL season but would have to be considered a long shot for NHL employment.

You may enjoy Scott Cullen’s look at draft probabilities. You may also enjoy the ‘Harvest Moon‘ gushing I did on that promising day in 2010. I think the Hall pick is full value and Marincin looks like he’s a good bet for an NHL career. If one of Pitlick, Hamilton or Davidson can add to the total, I’ll call it a good draft. Still heartbroken about the young man from Preili and that will not change, ever.

Checkers vs. Oklahoma City Barons 1-13-13

100 Responses to "REVIEWING THE 2010 DRAFT"

1. nqmt says:

Parents should never have to bury their children. RIP Pelss

2. RexLibris says:

We form emotional attachments to these players.

I watched Pelss play in person several times and loved his game.

When I heard he had died I was heartbroken.

Not only personally, but far more so for his family. The details, what few there were, just never added up and I can’t imagine losing a child like that.

I remain convinced, and probably will to my dying day, that he had as good a shot at the NHL as Pitlick and Marincin. He was a player and I regret never getting a chance to see his enthusiasm and work ethic, which I witnessed first-hand, in action in the NHL.

No. 181 overall: L Kristians Pelss. RIP.

Man.

4. hunter1909 says:

Finally Marincin gets a fair chance.

5. RexLibris says:

McDavid.

Wow. He Forsberg’d Halverson.

6. fifthcartel says:

Just saw a McDavid shorthanded breakaway goal with the Forsberg move. Oh my.

7. RexLibris says:

Nurse yapping the Erie bench.

He is a heck of a defenseman right now. If he continues along this general trajectory we’ll be thanking MacTavish in 2019.

8. eidy says:

Watching Petry play and how the management screwed this up angers the blood

9. Hammers says:

hunter1909:
    Finally Marincin gets a fair chance.

Can’t totally agree as the word finally says his getting that chance and if there has been a player screwed over its been MM . If new management looks and learns maybe he gets his FAIR chance . Who knows maybe Chara will be a key so Let’s Hope he somehow joins the Oil and Martin proves he will be a player .

10. russ99 says:

Bruins and Kings miss the playoffs, Predators and Blues lose in the first round,.

Does this mean the possession-cycle//big checking team fad is finally over?

11. Unicorns says:

russ99:

Does this mean the possession-cycle//big checking team fad is finally over?

If it’s not now the Oilers will drive a wooden stake through that vampire’s heart soon enough.

12. Ryan says:

McJesus!!!

13. Eastern Oil says:

eidy,

Switch to Sportsnet and watch Nurse and McDavid play… I guarantee it will help.

14. gr8one says:

CMD…Ridiculous.

15. Ryan says:

gr8one:
    CMD…Ridiculous.

Hey dude. I was aka Hockey Noob back in the day from racki’s POF blog.

16. marty62 says:

gr8one:
    CMD…Ridiculous.

he is putting on a show. SSM has a very good team, but every time he steps on the ice he makes something happen. I would like to see how many mins Nurse is playing… he is not off the ice much

17. gd says:

Amazing the Oilers now employ the GMs who made two of the first four picks and one of them isn’t Tambo

18. gr8one says:

Ryan,

Hey man! How’s it going?

19. Ryan says:

gr8one:
    Ryan,

Hey man! How’s it going?

I just noticed that we’ve found ourselves in an old thread somehow lol.

Great, thnx. Married…happy…and well the only source of misery in my life was being an Oilers fan… Now with chia and MacDavid, this part of my life is looking much brighter.

You?

Edit…this is now the new thread. My bad.

20. eidy says:

Eastern Oil,
    Have it on PVR. Babysitting….err parenting right now

21. Symbology says:

Stu MacGregor: “Steve, when I said that you needed to find a way to get Taylor AND Tyler, this is not what I meant.”

22. gr8one says:

Ryan,

Great here too!

Even though POTF blog isn’t really active anymore a bunch of us have a pretty cool keeper league going on…you should stop by the forum and say hey!

Apologies to LT and others for the slight thread Jack.

23. Eastern Oil says:

eidy,

Touche, mine’s asleep and my wife is being very understanding as she knows this is what I have left as an Oilers fan. She’s been a good solider since 2006 (when we met) and she bought her own Oil jersey for the run. I could have married her then!

24. bsmart says:

bought my #97 McDavid jersey already, I’m a little over excited and anxious!

25. Ryan says:

gr8one:
    Ryan,

Great here too!

Apologies to LT and others for the slight thread Jack.

Sounds good. I’ll make an effort.

Racki’s still the only person here whom I’ve me in real life. Staples took us both to a preseason game in 2009-10. Racki still drops in here from time to time.

As for the 2010 NHL draft, Lordy… I am no draft aficionado…but even I had Toffoli on my radar.

Justin Faulk too for that matter…

26. leadfarmer says:

Congrats to the Sens for a incredible season.

russ99:

Does this mean the possession-cycle//big checking team fad is finally over?

Shhhhh.

Adults are talking.

28. V.XIV.VI.I says:

Is anyone else watching this game on SN360? Intense. World Juniors gold medal intensity.

Nurse and Ritchie are men among boys, but McDavid is like a demigod. I don’t think there’s anyone else in that league who could do as good a job of containing him as Nurse is, and he’s still alarmingly dangerous.

18 goals through not quite 12 games for him so far. That’s not 1.5ppg, that’s 1.5gpg. 32 points. Almost 3 per game.

Crosby wasn’t scoring this well and I think it’s fair to say he was in a weaker league and he probably had more ice time. The Otters are putting that 4th line out there every now and then.

29. RexLibris says:

Petry now worth a 2nd and a 4th.

Tkachev is in the bag. 🙂

30. anonymous says:

RexLibris:
    Petry now worth a 2nd and a 4th.

Tkachev is in the bag.

Be surprised if they bother with Tkachev now.

31. thejonrmcleod says:

Kelly Hrudey with this little nugget: “The first round is always the hardest one to win.”

32. Dashingsilverfox says:

Ryan: Sounds good.I’ll make an effort.

Racki’s still the only person here whom I’ve me in real life.Staples took us both to a preseason game in 2009-10.Racki still drops in here from time to time.

Justin Faulk too for that matter…

The Oilers picked the wrong guy at #1 and then the draft unravelled from there.

33. gd says:

Can I just say I’ve yet to see Strome do anything that would make me desperate to want him and I watched his 6 pt game at the end of the season.

34. Ryan says:

Dashingsilverfox: The Oilers picked the wrong guy at #1 and then the draft unravelled from there.

This blog was very pro-Seguin at the time iirc.

I personally am not a fan of smb’s draft record which makes me an outlier here much like yourself.

35. marty62 says:

RexLibris:
    Petry now worth a 2nd and a 4th.

Tkachev is in the bag.

cool now the Habs can lose and lose big

36. gr8one says:

Ryan

I remember that, like it was yesterday. Man time flies. IIRC that all developed via twitter, no?

I just remember being jealous that I couldn’t even try to go due to living in the South. lol

Speaking of twitter, if we’re not already following each other give me an add.

@gr8one1

37. marty62 says:

thejonrmcleod:

Kelly Hrudey is another example of a crappy goaltender turned commentator. Sportsnet has dozens of them

38. Unicorns says:

anonymous: Be surprised if they bother with Tkachev now.

No doubt. Wonderful little player but the NHL is not likely for him. Might as well get paid in Europe and play till he’s 50.

39. Unicorns says:

I’d much rather have Nuge at 2C because his game overall is far more sophisticated and will contribute a lot more to a cup than Seguin could with McD at 1C.

Edit: Not to say it’s not dumbass luck, but here we are and it is what it is.

40. RexLibris says:

I suspect Darnell Nurse could grow a better playoff beard at 20 than Sidney Crosby at 30.

41. V.XIV.VI.I says:

Unicorns,

Don’t feed it…

42. Dashingsilverfox says:

Unicorns: Really? I don’t think it’s possible to say that now. After winning the lottery Hall is the better fit by far than Seguin would be.

Edit: Not to say it’s not dumbass luck, but here we are and it is what it is.

Well, I guess you can look at that way but with Seguin at centre it’s unlikely the Oilers would have picked Hopkins…I wanted Landeskog and they might have gone the same way.

You are vastly under rating Seguin’s 2 way game…he’s a superb defensive player and, of course, scores at a much higher rate than Nuge.

43. season not played says:

Taylor Hall had a pretty nice resume heading into that draft and was generally touted as being NHL ready.

Tyler Seguin had an equally impressive offensive season and was projected to have a higher ceiling than Hall. He also plays center.

What is it the scouts say? Not who is the better player today but who will be the better player 5-10 years from now?

Presently, Seguin is an elite scorer in the NHL. Taylor Halls next 30 goal season will be his first.

I guess Oiler brass must have known there was a franchise center to be had five years later.

44. V.XIV.VI.I says:

season not played:

Seguin got himself traded because even on a team with very strong leadership his off-ice issues were too much.

In Edmonton, with the players we had here and how players can get away with murder, that would have been a disaster.

Dashingsilverfox,

And one day he’ll find a coach who will actually play him at center.

Ruff had every DAL C between he an Benn all year.

At the end of they year it was Eakin.

I like Seguin, great young player and goal scorer.

However this:

Is high comedy.

Seguin’s a defensive C now eh?

1) He would need to actually play C full time to qualify.
    2) He’d actually need to play defense. Seriously. 77pts and -1??? God gord does he see his own end of the ice?

46. Pouzar says:

Annnnnnnd we’ve entered into the “DSF is drinking again” portion of the evening.

Enjoy everyone.

47. RexLibris says:

Woodguy,

By DSF’s calculations, Joe Colborne is a center.

He took 4.3 faceoffs per game on average this season.

Seguin took 6.3 playing the wing.

He has spent the majority of his time with the Flames on the wing and is used at C sparingly. They tried him at C when he first arrive and it was a disaster. Moving him to the wing in a 3rd line role is much more suited to his game. But having him listed at C on NHL.com is still convenient if you were looking to make an argument about on-paper depth regardless of deployment.

48. RexLibris says:

Pouzar:

Enjoy everyone.

He’s probably just a little lightheaded from toasting the Erie/SSM game.

That was a spectacular game to watch. Nurse is incredible and it is almost the Greyhouds vs the McDavid Otters.

49. striatic says:

McDavid’s Forsbergian shorthanded breakaway goal.

50. leadfarmer says:

Woodguy,

And he gets the Jamie Benn effect bump, which is causing Loui Erickson to shed tears at night. See how he scores away from Benn for a prolonged period of time. Plus you had a choice between a winger and a pretend center who with multiple opinions has been declared not to be a center. I bet he wins the Vezina next year too and maybe a Norris trophy and other awards for positions that he does not play

51. Pouzar says:

We got Connor Frickin McDavid. #daForsberg

EDIT: Damn you STRIATIC!

52. OrangeandBlue says:

RexLibris,

In a few months we’ll be hearing from DSF about how we selected the wrong player because Eichel had more primary assists and fewer second assists than McDavid in the month of November. Then if McDavid gets more primary assists in the month of December, well that won’t matter because Eichel does whatever he does, but with less support…which will apparently mean that he’s obviously the better player or something.

53. G Money says:

Heh heh, it’s all fun and games, but as a friendly reminder

please.don’t.feed.the.troll.

54. Numenius says:

marty62: cool now the Habs can lose and lose big

Lose now, the Oilers get, at best, 55 and 115.

Win the next round, the Oilers get, at worst, 60 and 90.

I’d rather have the latter.

55. G Money says:

Pouzar: EDIT: Damn you STRIATIC!

It’s OK, I enjoyed watching it twice!

56. frjohnk says:

Bettman said tonight that the cap next year will be near 71.5 million.

57. Really? says:

Certainly impressed with the McDavid shortie but even more impressed with the game played by Nurse tonight. He was tireless, effective, even dominating. In addition, that shot off the cross bar in the third was a howitzer. Feeling good about these two in Oiler uniforms.

58. RexLibris says:

frjohnk:
    Bettman said tonight that the cap next year will be near 71.5 million.

Great news. It means someone may take Purcell and Nikitin.

Just enough room for some teams to run in place or swap deck chairs.

59. Gally says:

frjohnk,

In order for the cap to go up like that, the players have to agree to the escalator clause, which means they have to put a lot more into escrow, and if league revenues don’t reach the proper amount, that escrow goes back to the owners and the players earn less than their contract. So, there’s no guarantee the players will vote it in, and as far as has been explained to me, the owners can’t unilaterally vote it in for the players. The person who explained it to me doesn’t work for the league though, so he could have read the cba inaccurately.

60. RexLibris says:

G Money: It’s OK, I enjoyed watching it twice!

Just twice?

I recorded the game and haven’t stopped watching.

The behind-the-goal-line shot had me bewildered. They showed it from a few angles and I still couldn’t figure out how it went in.

His stick-checking is highly predatory as well. He and Nugent-Hopkins are going to give defensemen fits in the neutral zone.

Flying the zone may actually become a viable strategy with those two.

Can McDavid save Justin Schultz? That would truly be a miracle!

61. RexLibris says:

OrangeandBlue,

Or perhaps about how his PP points make him more like Robbie Schremp to Eichel’s Ryan Getzlaf.

That’s the joy of it. You never know which door the white rabbit will come out of.

62. BOLD OVER (5-14-6-1) says:

RexLibris: Can McDavid save Justin Schultz? That would truly be a miracle!

That would literally be like leading him through the desert that Feaster described. A miracle.

63. Dashingsilverfox says:

Woodguy:
    Dashingsilverfox,

And one day he’ll find a coach who will actually play him at center.

Ruff had every DAL C between he an Benn all year.

At the end of they year it was Eakin.

I like Seguin, great young player and goal scorer.

However this:

Is high comedy.

Seguin’s a defensive C now eh?

1) He would need to actually play C full time to qualify.
    2) He’d actually need to play defense.Seriously.77pts and -1??? God gord does he see his own end of the ice?

Back on the bottle I see.

Seguin played a great deal of centre this past season.

Seguin and Benn often alternated faceoffs depending on which side of the ice they were on and were sometimes teamed with Eakin or other players as the situation warranted.

When the young Russian was healthy, the top line was Benn-Seguin-Nichushkin but Nichushkin was out most of the season with hip surgery.

On the PP, Seguin, because of his quick release and lethal shot, played on the point, not at centre but even so he took 511 face-offs and Benn took 576.

It’s amazing what can happen when your team has Seguin, Benn, Eakin, Spezza, Fiddler and Horcoff all capable of playing centre.

Seguin was -1 on a team that had a porous D and sub par goaltending. (sound familiar)

Seguin, nonetheless is +68 on his career.

Taylor Hall is -23.

Nugent-Hopkins is also -23.

64. BOLD OVER (5-14-6-1) says:

I feel a draft in here.

65. RexLibris says:

BOLD OVER (5-14-6-1):
    I feel a draft in here.

Usually that implies cold air.

It felt hot to me.

66. wheatnoil says:

Gally,

It’s not as simple as that. Friedman (I think) had an article on it a little while ago. Apparently, the only way for the escalator not to push the cap 5%, the players have to vote against it AND the league and the NHLPA have to agree on a new number between 0-5%. So the league can strong-arm and not agree to anything less than 5%. The absence of an agreement means the escalator remains at 5%.

On another note, FrJohnK, I thought the Bettman announced 71.5% as a projection only, not the final number, no?

67. marty62 says:

Numenius: No. It’s better for the Oil if they win the next round too. Then lose the 3rd round.

Lose now, the Oilers get, at best, 55 and 115.

Win the next round, the Oilers get, at worst, 60 and 90.

I’d rather have the latter.

hmmmmmm nope hate the habs lose lose lose

68. LadiesloveSmid says:

If you’re wondering who they should have taken at #1, ask who was traded for Loui Eriksson by a team smart enough to win a cup/president’s trophy.

This is the first season Seguin has had a better PPG than Hall and it came only because of a coach no one could score under and injuries. I’ll wager Hall will have a better season than Seguin next year.

69. LadiesloveSmid says:

Eberle had 20P in 36GP under Eakins this year.

Draisaitl 9P in 37GP. 2A in one game after Eakins left (minuscule sample)

think Draisaitl would’ve turned it on under Nelson? Eberle went supernova 41P in 45GP (lets not trade him)

70. Dicky94 says:

BOLD OVER (5-14-6-1),

Nikkitin couldn’t save him. So there is no hope.

71. frjohnk says:

wheatnoil:
    Gally,

Projection. Sounds like players and owners will come up with a number that will be near that.

72. Dashingsilverfox says:

LadiesloveSmid:

Seguin was:

1.05 PPG in 2013/14

1.08 PPG in 2014/15

Those were his first two seasons in his natural position with top line minutes.

73. LadiesloveSmid says:

Dashingsilverfox: Back on the bottle I see.

Seguin played a great deal of centre this past season.

Seguin, nonethelessis +68 on his career.

Taylor Hall is -23.

Nugent-Hopkins is also -23.

How many #1 centres take the 5th most face-offs on their team?

At ES, Seguin played:
    ~214 mintues w/ Eakin
    ~202 minutes w/ Spezza
    ~20 minutes w/ Morin+Fiddler

All took more face-offs than him. He was most definitely not a full-time centre.

Seguin was -1 on a team that was +1. He also played for a president’s trophy/cup winning team in Boston, on a line with the best defensive CENTRE in hockey. Boy, you can not try and tell me those are relevant numbers.

RNH and Hall both -23 on the worst team of the last 5 years.

Legitimately laughable effort here. Gonna take something with some substance to get a rise out of people, troll.

74. OrangeandBlue says:

RexLibris,

Good old Schremp…he did technically score at a rate of 0.75ppg in 08/09!

75. Numenius says:

marty62: hmmmmmm nopehate the habslose lose lose

Ah, I see, THAT’S your argument. In that case, please carry on.

76. wheatnoil says:

Lose now, the Oilers get, at best, 55 and 115.

Win the next round, the Oilers get, at worst, 60 and 90.

I’d rather have the latter.

If I’m doing my math right (and I’m probably not), that means if the Habs make the conference finals, the Oilers get 7 picks inside the top 100.

77. Unicorns says:

frjohnk:
    Bettman said tonight that the cap next year will be near 71.5 million.

If that is true, less guys shake loose. Peachy needs to get on the blower and sign decent guys ASAP and hopefully he can unload overpaid guys on floor teams or someone.

For the first time in forever I actually think the Oiler GM doesn’t need to read here to know what should be done. I am still uncertain about the direction he’ll take, but I don’t expect a clown car to pull up to the draft venue so to speak.

78. misfit says:

I’ll go to my grave believing the Oilers did well taking Martindale at the top of the 3rd round that year. I watched him a number of times in his draft year, and every time I did, he was the best player on the ice for both teams.

Toffoli was the higher pick and the one with the NHL career, but it was big #77 who dominated whenever Misfit was in town (or watching on TV). I wanted us to take him in the 2nd!

Between the size and the fact that he was an accomplished lacross player as well, I thought we had our own Joe Nieuwendyk on our hands.

…sometimes we make mistakes.

79. Gally says:

wheatnoil,

Fair, but they still have to come up with something. It’s in every player who currently has a contact’s best interest to vote it down, and for free agents to vote for it. So, the players will likely vote it down. There’s no real reason for the league to raise it either, except to flimsily prop up the idea it’s infallible to even the economy. I’m sure the league will try to get 5% though, but what leverage do they have?

80. BOLD OVER (5-14-6-1) says:

RexLibris: Usually that implies cold air.

It felt hot to me.

No, a draft can be cold, cool, tepid, warm, and HOT! Just like the MCDAVID DRAFT!!!!!

Edit: I forgot FRIGGIN MCDAVID FRIGGIN DRAFT!!!!!

81. RexLibris says:

misfit,

I’d agree.

Martindale didn’t turn out, but it was a justifiable pick all the same. Another cautionary tale about prospects and development.

Hope things are well. Nice to hear from you.

82. wheatnoil says:

Gally:
    wheatnoil,

Fair, but they still have to come up with something. It’s in every player who currently has a contact’s best interest to vote it down, and for free agents to vote for it. So, the players will likely vote it down.There’s no real reason for the league to raise it either, except to flimsily prop up the idea it’s infallible to even the economy. I’m sure the league will try to get 5% though, but what leverage do they have?

It is a weird thing, the player voted escalator. It directly pits player against player. Given more players are under contract than looking for a contract, on a strict majority vote, the escalator should be voted down every year… yet every year it’s put in place. So there’s other factors involved. I think player agents play a role here, advocating to their clients to put the escalator in place. I mean, higher cap means larger contracts, which means more money for agents. Also, the players looking for contracts will argue that the escalator was voted in every other year when they were under contract and had to pay huge escrow, so why can’t they benefit now?

Also, the league gets lobbied by all the teams near the cap to push the cap up. Only the teams struggling to hit the floor don’t want a higher cap and they probably don’t have as much sway as the Ed Sniders of the league. Any team that isn’t struggling to hit the cap floor, doesn’t really care if the cap goes up higher as they have relative cost certainty with the escrow.

The whole cap thing is a bit of a confusing mess. Those owners are a clever bunch. I hear that expansion fees don’t count as Hockey Related Revenue! So that proposed $500M that Vegas would have to pay to get into the league is just straight money for the owners… that doesn’t count in the money to be split with the players!

83. Unicorns says:

If the Oilers sign McD at max and include the bonuses he will get WWWWWWWOOOOOOOOOOOOTT,

JS at +10%, MM at 1.5, that will leave 7.21M (from 71.5M) and 2 roster spots for a UFA D and G.

Does Peachy stand pat or free up some cap? I’m thinking he will clear space and change things up.

84. wheatnoil says:

Unicorns:
    JS at +10%

85. Unicorns says:

wheatnoil: I think JS can be qualified without the 10% raise given his base salary at this point.

Right, wasn’t sure. Still seems like things are too tight. I think he’ll want to be rid of underperforming contracts. When is another question.

86. kooler says:

RexLibris,

I understand 4th becomes 3rd if the make it through to the next round.

Nurse will be the next Brett Burns…make him McDavids left wing and MPS on right, let them fly.

87. RexLibris says:

😉

88. Unicorns says:

RexLibris: It won’t be our problem when Chiarelli trades him to Jim Rutherford for the Penguins’ 2016 1st round pick.

Nice

89. pocession charge says:

I’m just finishing watching the U18 gold medal game. Charlie McAvoy (2016 eligible) looks like a nice target for a RHD. 6′, 205lb, good passer, good vision, decent skater who could improve top end speed and agility. A name to watch for.

90. Numenius says:

Unicorns: JS at +10%

There’s no need to give Jultz an extra 10%. The CBA allows RFA’s making over 1M to be kept at exactly their previous salary.

And we all know, by gord, he doesn’t deserve a raise.

Edit: Wheatnoil already on it…

91. Lois Lowe says:

That Connor McDavid fellow looks like he’s giving a late push to his draft stock. Do you guys think he’ll be around when the Oilers make their pick?

92. NYCOIL "Taking Photos" says:

Hi all,
    Day late again weighing in. Damn travels!

Some of you asked me to share how the tsunami regions were recovering in Japan. Posted a few quick snaps on Twitter @GmanBackpacker if you want to see them. Will have a longer post with proper pictures in a few months over on the travel site

Weighing in on some items from yesterday.

Woodguy, I think it’s going to be hard for Slats to keep Stepan’s cap hit under Brassard’s given the pecking order. Thus I think Girardi or Staal shake free. I’d target Klein or Staal in that order, wouldn’t touch Girardi.

On Chicago: Sharp is as good as gone. The question is are the Hawks smart enough to sell high on Seabrook this summer or not. My wager is that they are not and want to sign him to keep him with Keith. Thus I throw whatever I can at my real target, Hjalmarsson. I wouldn’t touch Oduya with a ten foot pole.

On Pittsburgh: Ehrhoff had a really bad year. Might he bounce back? Maybe, but I wouldn’t want to risk it for more than a year. So he isn’t coming here. Martin is older but still very useful. I wouldn’t hesitate signing him for 3 x 5.5m to have him mentor the young kids.

However all this cap room is predicated on clearing out salary via Nikitin, Ference, Purcell and possibly Schultz.

It’s impossible to add Sekera, Martin, Soderberg and Niemi to this team due to the cap. Impossible.

I suggested two days ago you try to get Talbot and Klein or Talbot and Staal. Or you sign Martin and Neuvirth.

Then stop.

If you can’t clear salary that’s it. If you can, and free up more money you can add one more D, re-sign some RFAs and try to sign Soderberg. Otherwise you stick with Roy.

My summer shopping list in order:
    1) Goal (Talbot, Neuvirth, Vasilevsky, Niemi)
    2) Dman A Hjalmarsson Or Klein/Staal
    3) Dman B Martin or Sekera or Petry
    4) Veteran C Soderberg or Sobotka
    5) Depth forwards: Roy, Winnik.

93. Unicorns says:

NYCOIL “Taking Photos”,

I can’t see Peachy signing Roy after he described the style he wants. I think he’ll clear cap space to get players he likes better, he should have a pretty good idea about the vets already and they are more of an issue excepting Schultz. Ference and Fraser must be considering this turn of events.

I suppose he can do buyouts or call up cap floor teams and unload them.

94. slopitch says:

Nurse and McDavid looked fantastic. Nurse is everything the oilers need (just 2 years shy). How tall is nurse? Google says 6″3. The oilers website says 6″4. The announcer of the game said he went through a late growth spurt. Just curious…

Also. Of course Nick Ritchie is s duck prospect. They have like 4 of him already. Oilers need a player like him.

95. stush18 says:

slopitch:
    Nurse and McDavid looked fantastic. Nurse is everything the oilers need (just 2 years shy).How tall is nurse? Google says 6″3. The oilers website says 6″4. The announcer of the game said he went through a late growth spurt. Just curious…

We could always take lawson crouse first overall.

96. Southern Oil says:

NYCOIL,

Thanks for the pics of the tsunami region in Japan. Horrible day that was. The one thing that struck me is that rural Japan in one part of the country, looks so similar to rural parts in another – architecture, geographical features, etc… That really made it that much more real for me as I could imagine the tragedy of that day. Prayers to those that are still impacted.

97. misfit says:

RexLibris:
    misfit,

I’d agree.

Hope things are well. Nice to hear from you.

All of the scouting reports on him mentioned his Jekyl and Hyde throughout the season talking about bow he could take over games but didn’t do it nearly enough. He may have only had 10 good games that year, but I nust’ve been at, or watched, every one.

Thanks. Still at the Stollery, but this site has been a good distraction during all the waiting while the little guy sleeps (which has been quite a bit).

98. spoiler says:

Nurse was unbelievable last night. What a third period. Was everywhere doing everything but put the puck in the net. Could have had a couple.

Did he play half the game? Felt like it. Might have been on the ice more in the 3rd than Karlsson was for the Sens. What a beaut. Skating is off the charts for a kid that big. Can’t wait to have him on the team.

He has more offensive talent than I originally thought. Everyone wants to use him in a shutdown role. When you’re that big and can skate like a hurricane, can’t say I blame’em.

99. slopitch says:

stush18: We could always take lawson crouse first overall.

Lol