THE OILERS AND THE OHL

Ontario province has gifted the Oilers with fantastic talent in recent seasons, notably Taylor Hall, Darnell Nurse and (hopefully) soon Connor McDavid. The Oilers, as with all teams, have shopped the OHL down every aisle.

NHL TOTAL PLAYERS/OHL PLAYERS DRAFTED BY YEAR AND TOTAL

• 2014 NHL draft—210 total players, 41 from the OHL
  • 2013 NHL draft—211 total players, 37 from the OHL
  • 2012 NHL draft–211 total players, 48 from the OHL
  • 2011 NHL draft, 211 total players, 46 from the OHL
  • 2010 NHL draft 210 total players, 42 from the OHL
  • 2009 NHL draft, 211 total players, 42 from the OHL
  • 2008 NHL draft, 211 total players, 46 from the OHL
  • FINAL TALLY: 1475 total players, 302 from the OHL
  • PERCENTAGE: 20.47%

OILERS TOTAL PLAYERS/OHL PLAYERS DRAFTED BY YEAR AND TOTAL

• 2014 NHL draft—6 total players, 0 from the OHL
  • 2013 NHL draft—10 total players, 2 from the OHL
  • 2012 NHL draft–7 total players, 2 from the OHL.
  • 2011 NHL draft–9 total players, 1 from the OHL.
  • 2010 NHL draft–11 total players, 2 from the OHL.
  • 2009 NHL draft–7 total players, 0 from the OHL.
  • 2008 NHL draft–5 total players, 0 from the OHL.
  • FINAL TALLY: 55 total players, 7 from the OHL.
  • PERCENTAGE: 12.7%

OHL’S 30 BEST, 2015

1. C Connor McDavid, Erie Otters. Franchise cornerstone. Every time I see McDavid, it makes me wish we could advance this instant to draft day.
  2. R Mitch Marner, London Knights. Crazy offensive player, wildly underrated in some circles because of his lack of size. Think Denis Savard level skill and shiftiness.
  3. C Dylan Strome, Erie Otters. A big center with skill, Strome’s value comes from two areas: He’s an impact offensive player and his size suggests he’ll be able to post offense against tough opposition when he matures. It doesn’t hurt that his brother, with less natural talent, made it to the NHL.
  4. D Mitchell Vande Sompel, Oshawa Generals. Undersized two-way defender who delivers impressive offense and can play the position. He’s smaller but a great skater and he’s an effective player without the puck. I don’t see a lot of love for him as a top 15 pick but I think he’s a great prospect.
  5. C Travis Konecny, Ottawa 67’s. A complete player, with terrific speed and skill. He’s a little undersized but he’s going to be a really good player. He’s a wonderful combination of skill and determination, in a Bobby Clarke kind of way.
  6. R Blake Speers, SSM Greyhounds. I have him way higher than he’ll go in the draft, but this is a very talented player with a range of skills. Strength is an issue but he’s grown in the last year and despite being overshadowed by older players he’s an absolute gem.
  7. C Andrew Mangiapane, Barrie Colts. Exceptional offensive talent, he was passed over last season and that was a mistake. I think he has first-round talent in THIS draft and it’s a deep one.
  8. C Pavel Zacha, Sarnia Sting. Big, physical center who would be higher—I like his size—but the offense just didn’t come this year. He did have a solid U18’s last week and that might move him up my final list.
  9. D Travis Dermott, Erie Otters. Undersized, mobile defender. He’s effective despite not having breathtaking anything, I’m always a little leery about giving offense-first D a big push because we simply don’t know how much he’ll play in an offensive role if he makes the NHL.
  10. L Lawson Crouse, Kingston Frontenacs. Power forward with a man’s body, I don’t recall such a big disconnect between the math people and the saw him good crowd. I’m in the middle, respect both sides, but in a deep draft year can’t bring myself to place him higher. He’ll go in the top 15 for sure.
  11. R Nikita Korostelev, Sarnia Sting. He has lots of skill and I read a lot about his shot. He played on a line with Zacha for quite a bit of the season, I like him but am unsure if he’s exceptional offensively. Speed (lack of) gets mentioned once in awhile, another reason I have him a little lower.
  12. D Rasmus Andersson, Barrie Colts. Smart 2-way D with some chaos in his game and skating issues. It’s possible he’ll have a stronger career than the Dutchman or Dermott, but I have him here because there are issues.
  13. D Matt Spencer, Peterborough Petes (OHL). Tough defender with a good defensive reputation, doesn’t look like he’ll have a big offensive side to his game as a pro. He does pass the puck well.
  14. C Mitchell Stephens, Saginaw Spirit (OHL). Speedy C with good hands, he had a massive U18’s and will be moving up lists because of it. The OHL is such a good league that a guy like this could blossom and scouts will get burned (he’s probably going to go in the second round).
  15. R Zach Senyshyn, SSM Greyhounds. Terrific speed, no fear. Skilled and decent size. I could have him higher, but as this is such a deep draft I think he’ll probably go in the later part of the second round.
  16. D Vince Dunn, Niagara Ice Dogs (OHL). Smart offensive defender, very good passer and makes good decisions with the puck. He’s an older prospect (late ’96) in this group but he’s a fine prospect.
  17. L Graham Knott, Niagra Ice Dogs (OHL) Size, good scorer, range of skills. I’d have him higher, but have read hints that he’s on the outside of a lot of plays.
  18. G Michael McNiven, Owen Sound Attack. 23GP, 2.78 .914. I don’t know much about goalies, but he has a great SP and that’s my metric.
  19. G MacKenzie Blackwood, Barrie Colts. Big butterfly style goalie. 51GP, .906
  20. D Kyle Capobianco, Sudbury Wolves. Skill D had a strong finish to OHL season, plays for a poor team.
  21. C Dante Salituro, Ottawa 67’s. Small forward, terrific skill.
  22. Gustaf Bouramman, SSM Greyhounds. Puck-moving defender with decent size, he has ability defensively.
  23. D Thomas Schemitsch, Owen Sound Attack. Range of skills, he doesn’t seem to excite many people despite some impressive boxcars. He may end up higher on my list at season’s end.
  24. C Pius Suter, Guelph Storm. A small, older, highly skilled center who scored 72 points and was a handy guy to have around. He’s a May 1996 and 5.11, 165 so probably passes through the draft.
  25. D Justin Lemcke, Belleville Bulls. A big two-way defender, decent speed, his offense isn’t enough to get him PP time.
  26. R Matt Luff, Belleville Bulls. A big winger, he didn’t deliver as much offensively as one would hope, plus there are skating issues.
  27. D Chris Martenet, London Knights. A HUGE (6.07, 198) defender, he’ll get drafted by an NHL team because of it.
  28. R Roy Radke, Barrie Colts. 6.02 power winger didn’t score much but with his size someone will be interested.
  29. C Ethan Szypula, Owen Sound Attack. Skill C, don’t know how much he played but he’s better than a draft and follow. We could be talking about him a lot next season, but hopefully someone drafts him.
  30. L Mike Davies, Kitchener Rangers. He’s big and has some skill, don’t know why he only scored 25 points but it might be TOI. He’s a sleeper but may be worth a pick.

76 Responses to "THE OILERS AND THE OHL"

1. AZOIL says:

“With the first pick in the 2015 NHL draft the Edmonton Oilers Select from the Eerie Otters, Connor Frickin McDavid”

2. spoiler says:

Noted advocate for Fancy Stats, Steve Simmons, June 21, 2014:

Somebody is going to pay Anton Stralman a lot of money in free agency and somebody is going to end up disappointed.

Bwahahahahahahahaha!

Somebody with a Twitter account needs to make this goof eat his words. Again.

3. stush18 says:

Besides the obvious names on this list, the ones im most interest in are senyshen and andersson.
    Andersson 67gp 12 g 52a 64 pts

This was his first year in the league, and he put up almost a ppg. I would love to take him with our second rounder, but im not sure if thats too high. Doesnt hurt he is built like a brick shithouse either.

Zenyshyn 66gp 26g 19a 45pts

This was also his first year in the league, and 26 goals is a very good total. Hes also a right handed shot and 6’2″. Hes also playing on a very deep greyhounds team, and by the looks of it is prolly a 3line guy right now. Could be a lack of icetime which would make these stats even more impressive.

Edit* the more i think about it, the more i think we should trade down with our second rounder., maybe even our pitt pick, depending on who is abailable. This is a ridiculously deep draft.

4. bsmart says:

LT I’m also anxious for draft day but man it’s been fun watching McDavid play since we found out the oilers won the lottery. It’s the most I have enjoyed hockey since the oil kings memorial cup run last year.

5. spoiler says:

Masterton: Dubnyk, Hammond, Letang

6. VanOil says:

When Nurse can intercept the play and fire the puck out on a tape to tape pass, like he did a few minutes ago, in the NHL it will be a beautiful day.

7. striatic says:

Should the Oilers be picking more from the OHL? If they’ve been doing so at roughly half the rate of other NHL teams and been getting inferior results, perhaps it is time to reconsider certain biases.

Hopefully Chiarelli is the guy to do that.

8. spoiler says:

After one in The Soo, the game is tied 1-1 after an early unassisted marker by Baptiste, who is having himself a great playoffs, and a powerplay equalizer from McCann–De Angelo and Tolchinsky with the assists.

Soo out-shooting Erie 13-8, but had two powerplays, and it looks like they start the second with the man advantage.

9. Ryan says:

Feelin Saad:
    Bob McKenzie thinks Edmonton would be the best fit for Babcock.

You’re linking to this thread.

DSF mentioned hearing this on the radio in Vancouver.

10. striatic says:

BTW McKenzie is saying that *if Babcock leaves Detroit* that Edmonton is the best fit.

So Detroit, then Edmonton, then the rest.

According to McKenzie.

11. thejonrmcleod says:

I would not be surprised if Chip Kelly has called Chiarelli about acquiring the first overall pick.

12. spoiler says:

I really like this kid as a 2nd rounder, but hadn’t heard about any chaos issues. Calm seems to be the more common adjective used to describe his play.

Skating does need a bit of work, but there doesn’t look like there’s anything fundamentally wrong. But, he’s not a puck rusher, more of a passer, and a very good one at that, so he doesn’t have to have blazing wheels.

This kid had a lot of steam behind his name a couple of years ago when he got selected to the WJCs at such a young age… I wonder if that year with little ice time in the Allsvenskan slowed his development? And of course he would then have had to adjust coming here too.

Led all Barrie defense in points, and helped Barrie powerplay to an even bigger year than last year’s squad, when Ekblad was QBing it.

Could be a real steal. Don’t know if he’s still there with the Montreal pick, but if he is, I’d be all over him.

13. spoiler says:

Matty with a measured piece on Babcock.

Not a lot new in there, just Matty’s take. Did confirm what I posted earlier though, that if Babcock were to move, Holland would be hot after McLellan.

spoiler:

I really like this kid as a 2nd rounder, but hadn’t heard about any chaos issues.Calm seems to be the more common adjective used to describe his play.

Skating does need a bit of work, but there doesn’t look like there’s anything fundamentally wrong.But, he’s not a puck rusher, more of a passer, and a very good one at that, so he doesn’t have to have blazing wheels.

This kid had a lot of steam behind his name a couple of years ago when he got selected to the WJCs at such a young age… I wonder if that year with little ice time in the Allsvenskan slowed his development?And of course he would then have had to adjust coming here too.

Could be a real steal.Don’t know if he’s still there with the Montreal pick, but if he is, I’d be all over him.

15. spoiler says:

Lowetide: I read about some conditioning concerns early and then ‘holes’ in his game late.

I wonder if a lack of playing time last season contributed to conditioning issues? And then of course, you have to pack up and move continents, so might have lost some training time there. With a dad and a brother as pro players, you’d think a commitment to conditioning would be built into their lives.

As for the holes, gap control is what I keep hearing, and that could be related to his skating.

16. Hammers says:

I thought the job of management was get good players no matter if it’s OHL , Europe , WHL and that can change on a year to year basis no matter what we think the odds are . It’s called Management .when you put blinders on it means basically your blind . All I want is to see some respect come back to this City and in sports that means winning consistently even if you don’t win the whole thing. But winning it all in any sport is the crowning piece . Let’s not forget we have produced many winners over the years . Some of us can’t wait forever so get er done

17. Ice Sage says:

Ryan: You’re linking to this thread.

DSF mentioned hearing this on the radio in Vancouver.

Yeah I heard that too… LOL, and the Vancouver hosts were apoplectic at the prospect, all but handing the Pacific to Edm (they do get just a tad histrionic out here on the weedy coast)

spoiler: I wonder if a lack of playing time last season contributed to conditioning issues?And then of course, you have to pack up and move continents, so might have lost some training time there.With a dad and a brother as pro players, you’d think a commitment to conditioning would be built into their lives.

Yep. There are several OHL D who are kind of in a bubble and any of them could end up being the best of the bunch imo.

19. LoDog says:

That was a decent pass by McDavid.

Kid might turn out ok.

20. Rondo says:

SSM vs. Erie looks quite slow compared to the World Jrs.

21. jfry says:

anyone with a link to the erie game? stranded in an airport for 5 hours. ugh

22. spoiler says:

Things you know really happened:

Pierre Mcguire @PierreMcgureNBC · Apr 28

Scotty Bowman was my mentor, hired me as an assistant with the Pens always said “Pierre, put a towel on in the sauna please”

23. Dashingsilverfox says:

jfry:
    anyone with a link to the erie game? stranded in an airport for 5 hours. ugh

The game is over.

SSM with a 4-2 win.

McDavid with 1A.

24. Southern Oil says:

Dashingsilverfox: The game is over.

SSM with a 4-2 win.

McDavid with 1A.

Did you watch it? Any comments?

Boy the OHL needs help with their website. No score or story line for tonight’s game that I can see. They are a full day behind.

25. Dashingsilverfox says:

Southern Oil: Did you watch it?Any comments?

Boy the OHL needs help with their website.No score or story line for tonight’s game that I can see.They are a full day behind.

Honestly, I only watched the 1st period and then switched to Wash @ Rangers.

And, you’re right, their website is very slow to update.

26. Kitchener says:

Hold your noses girls, it’s time to cheer for a Flames win.

#15 here we come.

27. bsmart says:

Watch the game on sprtsnet360, hdtv

28. Southern Oil says:

Kitchener:
    Hold your noses girls, it’s time to cheer for a Flames win.

#15 here we come.

It’s not worth cheering for them to move up one spot. Can’t remember who wrote the article – Gregor maybe – but compared #15 to #16 going back a long way in the draft. #15 comes out slightly ahead, but not by a bunch.

29. Ice Sage says:

Caps looking like they want it

30. square_wheels says:

Ice Sage,

Dirty hit on a vulnerable player though, those end careers

31. RexLibris says:

Southern Oil: It’s not worth cheering for them to move up one spot.Can’t remember who wrote the article – Gregor maybe – but compared #15 to #16 going back a long way in the draft.#15 comes out slightly ahead, but not by a bunch.

In such a deep draft, moving down ten more spots would make a significant difference.

32. square_wheels says:

Kitchener,

Nope, not gonna happen. Think I’ll take the long avoided vasectomy with a steak knife instead

33. spoiler says:

square_wheels:
    Kitchener,

Serrated?

34. Southern Oil says:

RexLibris: For some Oilers fans I think it is also about cheering for the Flames to lose draft position.

Fair point – I hadn’t considered that. But then you risk them making a run to the final – remote though it is. Don’t know where I sit now.

I’m watching re-runs of the draft lottery instead. Don’t know how many times I have replayed it. I wish it was June 26 already. Don’t really care who wins Stanley this year – just award the trophy already!

35. square_wheels says:

spoiler,

Yup, super big gulp of Chestnutt Farms bourbon and a stick. And it will feel so worth it when I send the kids to school this fall(in Calgary) in their 97 jerseys.

Connor Frickin McDavid!!!!! Don’t wake me up!!!!

36. Kitchener says:

I can’t cheer for either the Ducks or the Flames. I’m hoping Dubnyk or Jon Toews represent the West in the Cup. At least if Calgary takes the series the Oil gain a spot on a pick they ought to trade and Minnesota/Chicago have a better chance of winning the conference final.

Like I said, time to hold my nose. I’m glad that so many of you hold unconditional disdain for the Flames. I hold a similar disdain for any team with Ryan Kesler.

37. square_wheels says:

Kitchener,

My daughter tells me Nurse needs to wear his chin strap properly. I tell her that’s so he can rip his lid off and Kessler can see his eyes prior to being punched unconscious (Burrows same treatment)

38. Cyanide says:

Southern Oil: Did you watch it?Any comments?

Im not a story teller, But from what I watched of the game (was cleaning house and cooking but had the game on the whole time)
    It was almost a complete reversal of the last few games the Soo dominated the play. Lots of sustained pressure. Halverson (Soo goalie) was brilliant in the few shots he seen. Last minutes of the game with Eerie’s goalie pulled and the Soo taking a penalty. Eeries best pressure of the whole game. Halverson was brilliant, but the team collapsed infront of him as well. Not sure if Mcdavid was flat tonight or if the Soo just did that good in shutting him down.

Man the more I watch Nurse the more I believe he will be playing in the NHL next year. If he gains some weight this off season i don’t see anyone taking a spot from him.

39. Ice Sage says:

Welcome to real playoff hockey, flames

40. lance says:

World class food / beer and music :

May 16:

Mayfield Hotel in south Hollywood is on route between LAX and the Rosebowl.

Flights are about $600, hotel is about $125, tickets are $50 and include all the beer you can drink. I heard about this yesterday and we gotta go through there about then anyway.

Foodies of the world unite!

41. dangilitis says:

Looks like Ferland is getting Ferked

42. dangilitis says:

Ice Sage:
    Welcome to real playoff hockey, flames

Yes, 3-0 bitches!

To me, this is an indictment of how bad the Pacific Division was this year, that Anaheim was the only team that could outplay the Flames. Next season, hopefully the Flames will have far fewer easy points against their own division.

43. LoDog says:

I will admit I bet on the flames to beat vancouver in round one.(Went 7 for 8 thank you very much). But I have Anaheim in this round so fuck the flames.

44. sliderule says:

Sault dominated Eirie in this one .
    They had six power plays to two for Eirie and they used them to dominate shot clock.
    Nurse was all over Connor but he still had his usual setups but not many chances of his own.
    They were almost playing a man defence on Connor.
    This series will go seven games.

45. LoDog says:

sliderule,

I hope it does. McDavid vs nurse is too awesome to watch for it to end.

46. Diesel says:

The SSM vs. Erie game was not kin to the previous games in the series. First few games were free-wheeling affairs that afforded McDavid (glory to him in the highest) plenty of room to shine.

Tonight the pace was dialled down a bit as you might expect by game 5. That isn’t to say that McDavid (sing praise to him) wasn’t noticeable or effective; in fact, it was really interesting to watch how he plays with limited time and space. His hockey sense, vision and anticipation were really on show, which is particularly encouraging given what he is likely to face next year and beyond.

Oh, and on Darnell Nurse… he’s ready for the next challenge. Whether that’s NHL, AHL, or the future war against the machines, hand him his boots and his rifle.

47. striatic says:

This Flames/Ducks games is so relaxing.

48. Tire Fire says:

striatic:
    This Flames/Ducks games is so relaxing.

It just make me so… so… happy.

49. striatic says:

sliderule: This series will go seven games.

SSM closed out their season with a 17 game winning streak. They are really, really good.

50. dangilitis says:

As I watch this game a few things come to mind:

1) Why did Pittsburgh trade Despres for Lovejoy?

2) Why didn’t Edmonton try for Despres? Surely they could have cobbled together something more appealing than Lovejoy? Like David Perron + _____ (and they could have kept Col. Klink)

3) Getzlaf and Perry went 19th and 28th in that 2003 draft. Also in the latter half of the 1st round were Parise, Burns, Kesler, and Richards. Throw in Loui Eriksson at 33 and the Oilers can market these 2 picks for their value.

Or they can draft, and they need to get it right. Drafting the next Crosby, Burns, and Eriksson (with 3 more picks to spare in the top 80-90) would help a lot more than drafting Crosby, Steve Bernier, and Ryan Stone…

51. Soup Fascist says:

Johnny Hockey looking a lot like Jenny Hockey. Hearing footsteps. These Ducks are a very good team. Two very tough lines, speed, size and some nice young D-men. Hudler being hurt is not going to help the Flames cause. As good as Monahan and Gaudreau have been this year Hudler is the straw that stirs the drink a lot of nights. Could be a short series.

52. Diesel says:

Soup Fascist:
    Johnny Hockey looking a lot like Jenny Hockey.

Haven’t you heard? You’re a deplorable sexist.

53. striatic says:

Tire Fire,

It’s about managing overconfidence for Anaheim.

The apparent size difference is Monstars versus Looney Tunes stuff. Funny how absolute dominance makes a team look bigger.

That and black uniforms.

54. gr8one says:

A little off topic…but anyone here have a chance to watch the Winterhawks/Rockets games?

I see Drai has a goal in each game…how has he looked?

55. Soup Fascist says:

Diesel: Haven’t you heard? You’re a deplorable sexist.

One of my ex-wives mentioned that but – pfffft – what did she know???

56. striatic says:

gr8one: I see Drai has a goal in each game…how has he looked?

57. striatic says:

Wheeeee! This is FUN!

58. Ryan says:

Off topic, anyone here played around with fourth line heroes?

Might have some goalie data of interest to father John.

59. gr8one says:

striatic: He didn’t score in either of the first 2 games and had no points in the second game.

Interesting, someone needs to let the official WHL website that their game summaries are incorrect.

/edit

Lol…nevermind…those are the 3rd and 4th gamesheets.

Geez…goes to show how behind I am…I thought those were the first two games, I didn’t go back far enough!

Either way though…the question still stands…how has he looked?

60. striatic says:

Ryan,

Calvin Pickard. Interesting.

61. striatic says:

Ryan,

Doesn’t diverge from regular old Sv% much, but Pavelec climbs quite a bit. Halak is a major climber too. Dubnyk drops a bit but not too much.

62. Feelin Saad says:

striatic,

Oiler’s could probably get that Bachman guy on the cheap.

Feels like it overstates SV%.

63. dangilitis says:

Am I crazy or would Anderson be a good fit in Edmonton?

He has been very consistent (one weak 30 game stretch in Colorado, but that’s it), has 400 games on him, and posted a .972 SPG in the smallest sample size but I am just bringing it up because he still only won 2 of those 4 games.

I think he is the next Dwayne Roloson/Tim Thomas – peaks late with less NHL miles and is completely undervalued. Well-established

(Filter – Season: 2007-Present, Minimum Shots: 3000)

We need a long-term solution but they don’t grow on trees. He is a nice 2-3 year band-aid, if he stays healthy, to allow the Oilers to hopefully develop Brossoit and (cross fingers) O’Connor and/or find a goalie through other means.

64. striatic says:

dangilitis,

You’re not crazy but Ottawa won’t move him cheaply if at all.

They’ll be shopping Lehner, not the Anderson/Hammond tandem which covers the most bases for them.

65. SwedishPoster says:

Rasmus Andersson keeps getting underrated around the majority of the draft boards. He sometimes tries too much, imo that’s not all bad in a prospect, he has some issues with conditioning that’s correct LT, I’d say it’s mainly about eating habits, but at the same time he’s an extremely ambitious kid and once he gets picked by an NHL team I do think the light will go on in regard to this.
    If we instead look at his track record, he more than held his own in his -2 and -1 draft season playing against men in the swedish second tier, Allsvenskan, putting up 11 pts in 38 GP and 13 in 43 in the respective seasons, with somewhat limited TOI. As a comparison OEL put up 17 in 39 his draft season which is better but he was also one year further in his development, he’s also a #1 D heading into Norris territory, I don’t think Rasmus is heading that direction.

So Rasmus decided he wanted more guaranteed ice time and more eyes on himself before the draft so he heads to the OHL, I presented the numbers for fwds a few weeks ago on PPG in the draft season for top6 #3C and I’ll post the D and G this weekend but one very obvious trend is that being a rookie in the CHL and the OHL in particular really affect your numbers in a negative way and guys who does ok as rookies in their draft year translates very well to the NHL.
    With that in mind Andersson put up 64 pts in 67 games in the OHL as a D-man.
    A kid who at 16 and 17 held his head above the water defensively in a good mens league so he’s shown he can handle himself in his own end. Who has a crazy frame that will add mass easily and still can keep up with speedy fwds despite being 6´0 and a somewhat chubby 209 lbs, one of the few prospects who might actually benefit from losing a few pounds. Or at least swap some fat for some muscle. He also is a RHS. And he’s got some nasty to his game as well.
    This guy is seen as a mid and sometimes even late 2nd rounder in a lot of mocks. I see him as a lock to become an NHLer, very safe pick, with top pairing upside if he understands he can’t just train hard he needs to push the limit to be the best. He might take a year or two to work off the baby fat and clear out some overconfidence but he’ll be in the NHL before 21 unless he’s on a very stacked team is my guess.

I’d grab him around 20 and wouldn’t be against picking him at 16, but this draft is so stacked there might be something better on the boards.If he’s still around at 33 I’m jumping. We could use a high end RHD prospect.

On the subject of OEL, it looks like Klefbom will line up to OELs right in tonights game against the Czech. That pairing was by far swedens best in the pre tournament games against Russia, Klefbom often looks good on the right side imo, something to keep in mind going forward maybe.
    Sweden comes with an inexperienced team and should be seen as underdogs, especially considering the strength of both Russia and Canada this year, but it’s an interesting team with a lot of up and coming swedish players. Shaping up to be one of the better World Championships in the last few years.

Lander is centering a line with Loui Eriksson and Niklas Danielsson who imo is a limited player who’s done well in the SHL, NLA, was just ok in the KHL and I don’t think he quite cuts it at the international level, hopefully they swap him for Filip Forsberg once he arrives. But still ok linemates I guess since Loui usually does well when putting on the swedish jersey.

66. NYCOIL "Taking Photos" says:

SwedishPoster,

Outstanding insight, Swedish. Thank you very much for this.
    Tons of great information in there but if Klefa can excel on the right side that is huge news for the Oilers going forward.

67. SwedishPoster says:

So the latest on Landers linemates is that Filip Forsberg made it in time and has been put on Landers line making the line Loui Eriksson-Lenin-Filip Forsberg, on paper swedens first line, now swedish coaches like to roll their four lines and D pairings fairly evenly at least before the playoffs but Lander and Klefbom are basically Tre Kronors #1C and #2D to start the tourny which is pretty damn cool for a swedish Oiler fan.

Especially since both came in with very little hype and no actual resume from playing on the national team meaning they’ve pretty much grabbed those spots the last week and a half or so.

My interest regarding the WC is usually lukewarm until the playoff rounds but this year I’m actually excited.

68. Hammers says:

Kitchener:
    Hold your noses girls, it’s time to cheer for a Flames win.

#15 here we come.

16th is fine by me . Not worth holding your nose

69. Pouzar says:

LT,

Interesting…I couldn’t see the comments (except the first one) until I logged in.
    Glitch? Feature?

70. Pouzar says:

Bohologo,

Thx for the update!

Would love to see his skill/grit combo flying down the right hand side with McJesus and Hall.

71. PhrankLee says:

Hammers,

Agreed.

And was up way, way past my bedtime laughing in malevolent mirth as the Flames got taken to the shed.

Totally worth it.

72. G Money says:

Ryan:
    Off topic, anyone here played around with fourth line heroes?

Might have some goalie data of interest to father John.

Very interesting stuff.

They are doing something very close to what I’ve been working on for the last number of months.

They’re using shot distance to goose Corsi (I plan to use shot location, not just distance, as well as shot type, which IMO is a critical missing factor in assessing shot quality that seems to be skipped by everybody). E.g. A 25 ft slapshot is demonstrably more dangerous than a 15 ft backhand. But distance is a critical value for sure, as their chart shows. I have a draft NerdAlert that should be up this weekend on exactly this topic.

And of course, the other information set to use to goose Corsi is temporal information (rebounds, rushes, cycles).

You can improve anything by accounting for the space-time continuum! (philosophy of life)

I’ll be calling it “Danger Adjusted Corsi”. Catchy, no?

Pouzar:
    LT,

Glitch? Feature?

Recent glitch. It’s a process!!