RE 14-15 MATT FRASER: NO ONE TO RUN WITH

Matt Fraser enjoyed a quality junior career but was never drafted by an NHL team. When he turned pro, Fraser ripped off seasons of scoring (AHL) of 37 and 33 goals, cutting through the Dallas Stars prospect list and passing drafted kids like a house on the side of the road. Since getting into his first NHL action in 2011-12, Fraser has had a hard time establishing himself as an everyday player. He is on organization No. 3 and time is running out.

MATT FRASER BOXCARS THREE-YEAR TREND

matt fraser boxcar three

MATT FRASER FANCY NUMBERS THREE YEAR TREND

matt fraser fancy three

1. He’s come from a long way back. You bet, he was basically Josh Winquist after turning pro, and built himself a solid minor-league resume.
  2. Will he make it? There are some issues. Fraser isn’t a fast train, that’s a fact. I’m also not certain he’s going to be effective in a two-way role, there seems to be a gap there.
  3. Who does he remind you of? Ryan Jones, although Jones was faster. The Oilers seem to like having scoring wingers on lines that should be devoted to two-way types. Been this way since MacT left imo.
  4. I forgot about the Jones argument. It isn’t the Jones argument, it’s the Pisani point. The Oilers lead the league in ‘fly the zone’ wingers but can’t find two guys for a 3line who can haul ass on the back check.
  5. So you don’t like him? I like him fine, but he’s a tweener. Fraser isn’t good enough to beat out Hall or Pouliot, and he isn’t good enough as a checker to beat out Hendricks. The Oilers have been trying to shoe-horn a scorer into the bottom 6F’s for a long time, instead of finding another Fernando Pisani.
  6. Can Fraser score 20 goals a year? Probably. He has an excellent shot, it gives goalies fits. If an expansion draft came along and things broke right for him, I think he could do that, yes.
  7. He has good size. 6.01, 205 and he has a physical element to his game.
  8. How many skill wingers who are clearly ahead of him? Hall, Eberle, Pouliot, Yakupov, Purcell.
  9. How many skill wingers are in his range? I’d say Anton Slepyshev if he signs, Andrew Miller showed well, Iiro Pakarinen might be a tweener too but he’s promising as a two-way type. Plus Draisaitl.
  10. Draisaitl? Oh yeah. There’s a chance we see Leon on the wing and if that happens he may flourish. That guy is very skilled, terrific player.
  11. So, Fraser will be down the line? I think so, yes.
  12. Opportunity wasted? No. Fraser is a tweener, there are some fine things but the speed issue is going to be a problem all down the line. I cheer for him, though.
  13. Sure sounds like it. Seriously, I’d love to see him catch on with McDavid and Yakupov, but the competition for skill spots on this team is going to be incredible.
  14. Who will be the eight starting wingers opening night? There will be changes, I’m not sure.
  15. Let’s say there are no changes on the wings. Okay, I’ll say Hall—Eberle, Pouliot—Purcell, Draisaitl—Yakupov, Hendricks—Klinkhammer/Pakarinen/Pitlick.
  16. Why doesn’t Yakupov get to play with Hall? Maybe he does, history tells me to elevate the experienced guy until further notice.
  17. So Fraser is out? Look, Fraser, Pitlick, really all the RFA’s are under review. There’s going to be a culling of the herd. This is RE, meaning reasonable expectations, and it’s not reasonable to expect Matt Fraser to beat out all these other guys and win the day. Could happen, it isn’t likely though.
  18. Chiarelli traded for this guy! AND he put him on waivers. I’m sure Chiarelli thought about it a few times after it happened, but the guy he called up (Jordan Caron) was no screaming hell either. Anton Lander is better than all these guys, in my opinion.
  19. Why this song? GREAT damn record. Holy man what a band. The line about adios and finding another place rings true, suspect we’ll see Matt Fraser down the line in time. I’m cheering for him, though. I was hoping the Bruins would keep him, frankly in my opinion he had a better chance to make it there.
  20. Did the Oilers sign Eetu Laurikainen? Lots of smoke, no fire yet. I’ll have a post up if it happens.

133 Responses to "RE 14-15 MATT FRASER: NO ONE TO RUN WITH"

1. shawwwood says:

Trade Andrew Ference for 4th round and 5th round picks.
    Trade Justin Schultz,2nd round pick(from MON) and 3rd round pick (from STL) for Zdeno Chara.
    Trade 2nd round pick(33rd overall), 4th round pick(from Ference trade) for Cam Talbot.
    Sign Paul Martin and 5th center Kyle Brodziak
    $1 million in cap space left.
    Chara has 3 years left on contract. He is declining but he’s the veteran needed.
    Carl Soderberg will be too expensive.
    I like the full $9 million cap relief from Nikitin/Purcell for 16/17.

1: Benoit Pouliot / Ryan Nugent-Hopkins / Jordan Eberle
    2: Taylor Hall / Connor McDavid / Nail Yakupov
    3: Kyle Brodziak / Anton Lander / Teddy Purcell
    4: Matt Hendricks / Boyd Gordon / Robert Klinkhammer

1: Zdeno Chara / Oscar Klefbom
    2: Paul Martin / Mark Fayne
    3: Martin Marincin / Nikita Nikitin

1: Cam Talbot
    2: Ben Scrivens

Press Box: Tyler Pitlick, Iiro Pakarinen, Brandon Davidson

2. Yak2 says:

shawwwood:
    Trade Andrew Ference for 4th round and 5th round picks.
    Sign Paul Martin and 5th center Kyle Brodziak
    $1 million in cap space left.
    Carl Soderberg will be too expensive.
    I like the full $9 million cap relief from Nikitin/Purcell for 16/17.

1: Benoit Pouliot/ Ryan Nugent-Hopkins / Jordan Eberle
    2: Taylor Hall/ Connor McDavid / Nail Yakupov
    3: Kyle Brodziak/ Anton Lander/ Teddy Purcell
    4: Matt Hendricks/ Boyd Gordon/ Robert Klinkhammer

1: Zdeno Chara/ Oscar Klefbom
    2: Paul Martin / Mark Fayne
    3: Martin Marincin/ Nikita Nikitin

1: Cam Talbot
    2: Ben Scrivens

Press Box: Tyler Pitlick, Iiro Pakarinen, Brandon Davidson

That is so bad. Good thing you’re not a GM… of any team!

3. fifthcartel says:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/player.htm?id=8478557 (via Dustin Nielson via @nhlupdate)

He’s got the Oil logo. Really like this (potential) signing. (Eetu Laurikainen)

4. Genjutsu says:

Yak2: That is so bad. Good thing you’re not a GM… of any team!

Not sure it’s that awful. Making Klef play the wrong side and only having one RH shoot on D and not buying out the doubly agento ate my main beefs

5. RexLibris says:

Fraser was waived the same day as Paajarvi.

The Oilers took a scoring AHL tweener with serious skating issues rather than the potential checking winger with plus skating and underwhelming offense.

They could have grabbed the depth penalty-killing winger but took that scoring winger you mention they’d been trying to shoehorn into the 3rd line since forever.

That was a mistake and a sign to me at the time that MacTavish wasn’t really aware of the shortcomings of his roster.

Even if we roll back the clock to October, they could have claimed Richard Panik if they were really looking for depth scoring.

For me, Fraser is a wasted roster spot because he doesn’t do well enough at the NHL level what it is he is there for, neither does he do well enough the task that position requires.

Interesting roster ideas, Shaw. Chara’s a fascinating target for Chiarelli.

7. Pouzar says:

Winquist-Stretch-Miller
    K.Jones-C.Jones-Ford
    Moroz-Khaira-Winchester

8. RexLibris says:

Laurikainen’s EP page: http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=43532

Two years ago in the WHL with Swift Current he a 2.9 GAA with a .914 sv%, 54gp

This past year he played with the Blues in Liiga and managed a 2.1 GAA with a .933 sv%, 37gp

Good sample size, decent competition, fair workload and some very nice results.

I hope this means they don’t take a goalie before the 5th round.

9. Rip Fan Winkle "OilOnslaught" says:

I swing between feeling sorry for people and thinking clean starts are best for everyone.

I felt sorry for MacT and after we knew he was retained I regretted that he meant that Petry would likely never sign which hurts the team. And the worry of taint.

I suspect Special K wants ears in the room and I would too if I was a busy bazillionaire.

10. Younger Oil says:

LT, if you could only re-sign one of Pitlick, Fraser, or Hamilton, who would you choose?

For me it is Pitlick without a doubt.

11. RexLibris says:

Younger Oil:

For me it is Pitlick without a doubt.

I’d second that.

12. Ryan says:

Younger Oil:

For me it is Pitlick without a doubt.

Where’s the option for none of the above?

I’ll never understand LT’s love of Pitlick. Made of glass and no offense…

13. Ray says:

fifthcartel:

He’s got the Oil logo. Really like this (potential) signing. (Eetu Laurikainen)

His coach in Swift Current was Mark Lamb. Gotta think #2 got a good scouting report on him.

He out performed his backup in sv% by .010 and .030 the last two years. Not bad

Younger Oil:

For me it is Pitlick without a doubt.

I’d keep Pitlick.

Nurse not playing in OKC, they’re down 1-0 early. McDavid with an assist 1-0 Erie.

16. Pouzar says:

Not sure why you are giving McDavid updates.

*long pause*

OH WAIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

17. Ryan says:

Lowetide: I’d keep Pitlick.

I just read this ten seconds ago, but as you like to say, “not a word out of place.”

18. marty62 says:

I dont know why everyone is so down on Schultz. I think with a little development and a little luck he could be almost as good as that Petry guy that’s playing on the 1st PP unit for the Filthy Habs….. Wish the Oilers could have developed a young guy like that Petry kid……

marty62:
    I dont know why everyone is so down on Schultz.I think with a little development and a little luck he could be almost as good as that Petry guy that’splaying on the 1st PP unit for the Filthy Habs….. Wish the Oilers could have developed a young guy like that Petry kid……

It’s not really about Schultz, it’s the contract. If he was making $1.5M we’d be talking about his ability and project him into lineup happily. there’s really no way he represents value.

20. marty62 says:

I agree on that. I was just being bitter and sarcastic. We gave Schultz the money that we should have given Petry. It was tough seeing him go, even worse to see the Filthy Habs get him.

RexLibris:
    Fraser was waived the same day as Paajarvi.

Miller from Stretch, but Barons are down 2-1.

23. Ray says:

shawwwood:
    Trade Andrew Ference for 4th round and 5th round picks.
    Sign Paul Martin and 5th center Kyle Brodziak
    $1 million in cap space left.
    Carl Soderberg will be too expensive.
    I like the full $9 million cap relief from Nikitin/Purcell for 16/17.

1: Benoit Pouliot/ Ryan Nugent-Hopkins / Jordan Eberle
    2: Taylor Hall/ Connor McDavid / Nail Yakupov
    3: Kyle Brodziak/ Anton Lander/ Teddy Purcell
    4: Matt Hendricks/ Boyd Gordon/ Robert Klinkhammer

1: Zdeno Chara/ Oscar Klefbom
    2: Paul Martin / Mark Fayne
    3: Martin Marincin/ Nikita Nikitin

1: Cam Talbot
    2: Ben Scrivens

Press Box: Tyler Pitlick, Iiro Pakarinen, Brandon Davidson

I like your plan.

If Chara comes here he will play on a pairing with Marincin though in my opinion. I’d also focus on a RD, or one more comfortable on RD though. I like Martin especially as Fayne’s partner. Perhaps Klefbom can play his offside, but if he did I’d want a steadier partner than Nikitin.

I like Brodziak too. He’d provide enough cover that I could see him playing with CMD and Hall late in games. Also if Draisaitl outplayed him he’d be fine on the wagon line sub’ing in for any of the three that are banged up or underperforming.

24. NYCOIL "Taking Photos" says:

Anyone with any ideas on who this year’s Stralman might be? Sekera’s kind of already had his breakout year but is he going to sustain and improve? Anyone look at him with a fine-toothed comb yet?

McDavid scores, now 3-0 Erie.

26. Pouzar says:

MccJesus scores on own rebound coming in on his off wing. 3-0.

27. slambanna says:

McDavid scores, 3-0 Erie 1 G 1A +3

Edit: last again 3-1 now

28. square_wheels says:

NYCOIL “Taking Photos”,

I could have swore Lowetide wrote something on him early in the new year (Sekera that is). By eye I like him as much as Stralman, very versatile player. Shutdownline.com has a nice study in him up to 2013, this is a very good top4 dman by stat and eye, and he’s still under 30. All depends on Chia cuz he’ll have seen tonnes of him.

29. Genjutsu says:

NYCOIL “Taking Photos”,

I like Martin on a three year deal under 5 per.

30. Pouzar says:

Winquist ties it on PP

Winquist ties it. Like that guy.

32. Pouzar says:

Beauty behind the back pass by Miller to Winquist who roofs it.

33. Richard S.S. says:

And Oshawa thinks they can stop the unstoppable, little do they know.

34. Pouzar says:

3-2 Utica.

35. square_wheels says:

Pouzar,

Miller will see 30 games with the big club next year, book it.

36. slambanna says:

Erie holds on for the 4-3 win.

37. square_wheels says:

Genjutsu,

34 yr old Paul Martin ?

38. v4ance says:

Just noticed that Calgary put up Flames banners on 12th Ave leading to the Saddledome this past weekend.

Don’t know if they jinxed their own team or a case of really bad timing but I had to laugh when I saw it.

39. Pouzar says:

Drai scores another SH goal.

1-1

40. rickithebear says:

square_wheels:
    Genjutsu,

34 yr old Paul Martin ?

10th hardest comp 1.80 EVGA/60
    .88 evp/60
    You ment to put an exclamation. Correct?

41. Pouzar says:

OKC loses 3-2

Draisaitl with an early goal.

43. square_wheels says:

So what is the rub with Cody Franson ? If I’m paying 5+ for a dman that’s going to run a PP and play a top 2 role I vote Mike Green.

44. rickithebear says:

square_wheels:
    So what is the rub with Cody Franson ?If I’m paying 5+ for a dman that’s going to run a PP and play a top 2 role I vote Mike Green.

You never pay a dman to run the pp.
    Those guys get an extra 4million for 4 goals diffrence in a season.

45. rickithebear says:

Even points
    Strong Evga
    Strong pkga

46. square_wheels says:

rickithebear,

Umm no. I mean yes. Fuck, I don’t know.

34 with some hard miles but do we really want to hope he doesn’t fall off a cliff ?

Sekera is the only UFA we should target, but I’d be happy with Martin, just don’t like the contracts that have been thrown out the last few years for these player types.

47. Pouzar says:

SSS but Provorov -4 in the series so far

48. square_wheels says:

rickithebear,

Fair enough, we should be paying a dman that moves the puck in the right direction more than 50% of the time and has the ability to play against the other 2 teams top 2 lines regardless of which zone the puck drops in.

Martin very well could be a good bet until Nurse and Klef are ready.

What’s his rate then ???

49. Pouzar says:

Nolan Patrick not draft eligible till 2017. That year will be silly for him.

50. stush18 says:

rickithebear: You never pay a dman to run the pp.
    Those guys get an extra 4million for 4 goals diffrence in a season.

We do not have a puck loving dman, let alone a righty, in the system. Nurse and klef but they are not proven.

We need dmen who can move the puck to the forwards while skating.

51. RexLibris says:

Lowetide: Iirc Paajarvi was announced on waivers on the same morning EDM claimed Fraser. That’s my memory anyway.

I used http://www.prosportstransactions.com/hockey/Search/Search.php and it had both Fraser and Paajarvi put on waivers Dec. 29th, 2014. The timing might have been a little wonky, so maybe the Oilers put in a claim on Fraser several hours before Paajarvi was placed, but that level of detail isn’t readily available to me at this time.

I recall checking in on Renaud Lavoie fairly often as he seemed to be posting quite a few waiver wire notices early on in the season.

52. RexLibris says:

Draisaitl with an early goal.

Oilers should draft that kid.

53. Pouzar says:

RexLibris: Oilers should draft that kid.

He made some more sublime passes as well. Should have had a couple more pts.
    I wouldn’t even think about moving him.

54. RexLibris says:

McDavid goes 1-1-2, +1 on the night.

Flames prospect Hunter Smith goes 0-0-0, +1 with a double minor roughing/boarding on the night.

55. square_wheels says:

stush18,

Imagine a great skating RHD that’s fine in his own zone and need only move the puck up ice….

Not forgiving MacT for Petry, ever.

56. RexLibris says:

Pouzar: I wouldn’t even think about moving him.

Not even to the wing?

😉

57. Pouzar says:

RexLibris: Not even to the wing?

You got me!

58. Mr DeBakey says:

RexLibris:
    Laurikainen’s EP page: http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=43532

Two years ago in the WHL with Swift Current he a 2.9 GAA with a .914 sv%, 54gp

Good sample size, decent competition, fair workload and some very nice results.

I hope this means they don’t take a goalie before the 5th round.

59. square_wheels says:

RexLibris,

No, you’ve got the wrong Joe, you must mean Colborne ?

DSF over to you 🙂

60. Ray says:

stush18,

Sign Green, trade Jultz.

Green is what a best case scenario Jultz turns into and there is only a five year difference in age.

Jultz will demand at least 3.675 right?

How much more will Green be at 5.5? Maybe 6?

I know how I’d spend the cap space.

61. square_wheels says:

Ray,

Amen brother

62. Pouzar says:

Jamie Thomas ‏@SNJamieWThomas 50m50 minutes ago
    Otters just forced at least a game 5. And it will be on @Sportsnet on Friday at 7 ET. #Oilers #NHLDraft

63. RexLibris says:

Mr DeBakey: You’ll note that EP thinks this young man is under contract for another year with the Blues

The Blues of Liiga. Same name, different team/league.

64. RexLibris says:

square_wheels:
    RexLibris,

No, you’ve got the wrong Joe, you must mean Colborne ?

DSF over to you

Nope. Cuppa, the italian NHLer.

65. Pouzar says:

Seein Merkley real good tonight.

66. Mr DeBakey says:

RexLibris,

I know which Blues
    What I’m noting is not the Oilers.
    Must have an escape clause

67. Michelangelo-McDavid says:

I think that Michalek should be the target. Likely would take a 3 year term under 5 million.

Zbynek Michalek – 45.4 (GF%) & 51.2 (FF%) and he played most of his minutes on an Arizona team that had 38 (GF%) & 38.8 (FF%). With a 42.8% ZoneStart. Needs to be taken with a grain of salt because he played with OEL, however his WOWY numbers without OEL in 2014-15 &13-14 are good.

Also, if they can get rid of all/any of Ference/Nikitin/Schultz, Matt Irwin could be an interesting target. His 1.12 (Pts/60), 50 (GF%) & 51.3 (FF%) on a team with 46.9 (GF%) and 51.2 (FF%). Had 2.71 5×4 Pts/60 which is on par with Schultz and he knows TMc.

Klefbom-Michalek
    Marincin-Fayne

68. Dashingsilverfox says:

RexLibris:
    McDavid goes 1-1-2, +1 on the night.

Now you’re reaching Rex.

Smith was selected as the Flames 3rd pick in the 2015 draft.

The Flames picked Bennett in the 1st round and he sure looks like a player.

As for Smith, he’s 11th in OHL playoff scoring which is pretty decent for a 53rd overall pick.

He also scored virtually the same number of points this season as Marco Roy who was picked a year earlier.

Calgary got a steal with that pick.

Dashingsilverfox:

Smith was selected as the Flames 3rd pick in the 2015 draft.

Those Flames are absolutely working ahead of the competition.

70. Dashingsilverfox says:

Lowetide: Those Flames are absolutely working ahead of the competition.

The playoff revenue from 5 home playoff dates (say $10 million) will grease a lot of wheels.

Have I mentioned they went into the season with the lowest payroll in the league?

🙂

71. stush18 says:

square_wheels:
    stush18,

Not forgiving MacT for Petry, ever.

I wish we had petry still. Looks unreal in the playoffs.

My 1st target is mike green this summer. Because petry wouldnt come near use.

Theyre all going to cost 4-6 mill. Get him and sekera.

72. square_wheels says:

Ray,

My only concern with Green will be how soon Klef signs a 4+ deal and Nurse his bridge or long term 4+, is Green at 6 with a likely 5 yr window gonna put us in cap hell ? Green offers some proven capability beyond PP, he hits targets in flight and were gonna need that badly.

I like Sekera for the 2m we save on Green, but you can’t argue he’s a better fit at essentially the same age.

So maybe Riki had it right, overpay Martin for 3 and hope like hell we can find another team that’s willing to give up an emerging talent like Irwin.

In Chia we trust.

Dashingsilverfox: They’re doing pretty well considering they are 1 year into their rebuild….not 9.

Still a 2015 pick already? That’s grossly unfair.

74. Pouzar says:

stush18: I wish we had petry still. Looks unreal in the playoffs.

My 1st target is mike green this summer. Because petry wouldnt come near use.

Theyre all going to cost 4-6 mill. Get him and sekera.

Green plays a sheltered role and although he does it well we need two tough minutes guys imo.

75. square_wheels says:

stush18,

If we can do that and dump Jultz, with a goalie not named Niemi I’d be a happy fan (in my new mcdavid jersey!!!!!!!!!!!)

3 new jerseys coming to this Calgary house, no more Flames game day protests without a 97 blue/orange.

76. Dashingsilverfox says:

Lowetide: Still a 2015 pick already? That’s grossly unfair.

To whom?

Rex wants to compare a 1st overall pick to a 53rd overall pick.

Any GM worth his salt will tell you that it’s the value picks who make a difference in winning championships.

See the Penguins for reference.

Your recent posts have dealt with the flotsam and jetsam produced under the Mediocre Bastard’s regime.

Most recently, you are hoping the Oilers hang on to Pitlick who is now 5 years clear of his draft and despite being picked 31st overall has produced like a bottom line forward at best.

Good GM’s cut these guys loose knowing they can find better in the remainder bin every off season.

I have no idea if Hunter Smith will have an NHL career but he has a much better chance than Tyler Pitlick.

77. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Hunter Smith is Ben Eager.

If he’s lucky. In which case, a crazy Russian will end his career in a training camp somewhere down the line. So, he’s got that going for him.

78. Pouzar says:

Dashingsilverfox: Rex wants to compare a 1st overall pick to a 53rd overall pick.

Fair comparison imo.

79. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Dashingsilverfox: To whom?

Rex wants to compare a 1st overall pick to a 53rd overall pick.

See the Penguins for reference.

Good lord, man…

Your socks are on so tight you can’t even see the joke.

You have Hunter Smith being drafted in the FUTURE.

It’s just a simple typo joke between friends. Take a dram of Talisker and breathe.

80. Pouzar says:

Provorov will be the next PK Suban cause I am meh on him.

81. Dashingsilverfox says:

Romulus Apotheosis: Good lord, man…

Your socks are on so tight you can’t even see the joke.

You have Hunter Smith being drafted in the FUTURE.

I don’t wear socks…but I do make typos. 🙂

82. Pouzar says:

Dat Merkley kid again with another apple.

83. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Dashingsilverfox: I don’t wear socks

hippy.

84. square_wheels says:

Pouzar,

Unfortunately you’re correct but those are next to impossible to find in FA. Maybe Martin and Sekera should be the guys then? I think Klef and Nurse in 2 years pass them but with Fayne and Marincin the other pair I’d be ok running that group of 6.

Not much natural offence there though but with the forward core were gonna run, Gators off the glass break out would land him 40pts.

85. Romulus Apotheosis says:

I think this is the fifth time I’ve posted this here:

86. Dashingsilverfox says:

Romulus Apotheosis: hippy.

West Coast Elan ®

87. SayItAin'tSo, Gretz, SayItAint'sSo! says:

So here’s a quick question for the group. For all of the obsession lately with needing a bona fide #1 defensemen in his late 20’s in order to be a contender in the NHL I’m curious to the groups thoughts on the Anaheim Ducks.

I’ve followed the Ducks reasonably close all year (had a number of them in my hockey pool) and honestly I see a bit of an anomaly. I see a team that is incredibly strong through its top 6 with a decent (albeit not overly impressive) 9 through 12 and a defence corps that would give baby Nuge a run for its money when it comes to the need for Barbasol. To cap it off their goalies are both young, unproven and have been wonky throughout the year (I picked up Anderson in the pool and held him and he cost me at least a few weeks with his uneven play but the Ducks won games so it was worth it).

Now I’m not suggesting anyone try and emulate them because we had our shot at both Getzlaf and Perry and decided that the pick was better spent on magic beans. But I find it interesting that a powerhouse can have such a young backend and succeed the way the Ducks have this season. It seems to be a bit of an outlier given our obsessive focus lately on getting older proven defensemen.

Also as I’ve said in previous threads everyone here suggesting getting rid of that 16th pick for a 30 year old defensemen (I’ll make an exception for Weber and Keith and that is absolutely it) you need to give your head a shake. If this draft is even close to 2003 you would be passing on players in the same talent/skill range as Getzlaf, Perry, Parise, Weber, Bergeron, Backes, Crawford, Howard, Kesler and also a reasonable chance at landing (gasp) Seabrook were he to slip a spot. What is special about all of those players? They play for (and win) things like Olympic gold medals and Stanley Cups consistently year after year.

The only way to protect against some of the current talent group (Hall, Eberle, RNH and even Yak) when or if they decide to leave is to have someone coming down the pipeline to replace them. We all clamour about the Detroit Model, I suggest looking at the Blackhawk model since 2002. The talent that the Hawks have given up over the last five years was good enough to take the Jets into the playoffs this year without Chicago itself missing a beat. A popular line on this blog is “get good players, keep good players.” I think starting in 2015 for the Oil we should add “draft good players and keep good players!” Do not trade that pick in a draft year like this! As LT likes to say about college FA signings they are found money. If you trade that pick you might make a push this year hell you might win a playoff series next year. But Chicago is currently pushing for its third Stanley Cup in six years and playing in its fourth west final in six years. That my friends is something all of us should think about when we start throwing out trades just to satisfy an itch.

88. Pouzar says:

square_wheels:
    Pouzar,

Michalek as well. A Martin/Michalek pairing would go a long way. But every team needs defensemen so it won’t be easy. Maybe sign one and trade for another.

89. square_wheels says:

Pouzar,

No Franson love eh ?

90. NYCOIL "Taking Photos" says:

Martin and Sekera seem like good bets but Nikitin and Ference stand in the way.

And yes, so there are too many lefties but someone can slide over.

Also, the contracts being thrown around are big, yes, but some are good and some aren’t. Who wouldn’t want Stralman at 4.5m per for 5 years now? Even at 5m for 5 years. Looking back through this blog in June everyone was on board with getting him. LT raised doubts about his ability to play bigger minutes. He’s 22 mins per game now and excelling.

What would Sekera cost? 5 x 5.5m? Martin 3 x 5?

91. RexLibris says:

Dashingsilverfox,

Was my “random player comparison” game not strong enough?

They were both forwards. That’s where I went wrong, wasn’t it. Should’ve picked the backup goalie instead. Or maybe another center like Ivan Boldirev from the ’67 squad.

I was just pointing out two players of particular interest because of their Oilers/Flames connections.

I made no direct comparison of the two as players. You did that.

92. square_wheels says:

NYCOIL “Taking Photos”,

Reverse the money but the term is just fine. Now, about that goalie……

93. Ray says:

square_wheels,

Best case scenario, in three years Fayne’s contract is up and Nurse is ready for a bridge deal or a six-eight year deal in the 3-5 million per year range. Klefbom could be in the 4-5 range too. So if you have Green at 6, you could still have room for one more top four dman on payroll.

Maybe Martin at three years, or Chara (three years left) is the right play…. in addition to Green (or Petry)

94. square_wheels says:

NYCOIL “Taking Photos”,

And I think Niki is bought out and Schultz dumped for anyone that can actually play D.

Ference as A 7 likely not what the player has in mind with another 2 yrs remaining, that’s gonna be an issue.

95. Pouzar says:

square_wheels:
    Pouzar,

No Franson love eh ?

He’s quite the polarizing player. I think he is definitely an improvement over FSN but what will command on the open market? I think he gets a bigger contract than his play warrants by some drunk GM.

I wonder about Erhoff? Off year bargain?

96. square_wheels says:

Pouzar,

Yes he hasn’t come up too often but a nice fallback option. Oduya can still play as well. Damn I’d like Hjalmarson though.

97. Dashingsilverfox says:

RexLibris:
    Dashingsilverfox,

Was my “random player comparison” game not strong enough?

I made not direct comparison of the two as players. You did that.

Bennett is 6 months older but they are the same size left shooting centres.

Based on what we’ve seen, McDavid should best Bennett going forward but trying to compare McDavid to Hunter Smith is a little goofy.

98. RexLibris says:

Pouzar: I wonder about Erhoff? Off year bargain?

I’d be very happy with that kind of a move.

They blew a tire when they traded Petry. Ehrhoff would be a good patch. Provided MacTavish feels he’s worth $4 million dollars.

99. RexLibris says:

Dashingsilverfox: trying to compare McDavid to Hunter Smith is a little goofy.

I agree.

Your desire to compare the two is goofy.

100. NYCOIL "Taking Photos" says:

square_wheels,

Pouzar,

Quite a troubling concussion run for Ehrhoff.

Another team may be able to afford the risk but the Oilers have neither the depth nor the cap space to employ Ehrhoff as a primary option and have him sidelined for long stretches, in my opinion.

Bear in mind he missed additional games after further setbacks. And this was recent.

101. Dashingsilverfox says:

RexLibris:

McDavid goes 1-1-2, +1 on the night.

102. NYCOIL "Taking Photos" says:

Dashingsilverfox:
    RexLibris:

McDavid goes 1-1-2, +1 on the night.

Seemed to me he was using a patented tactic of yours to bait you and you took it hook, line and sinker?

Yes, it was about as absurd as Draisaitl’s comparison to Colbourne. (And I was and still am a Bennett fan).

103. Pouzar says:

NYCOIL “Taking Photos”:
    square_wheels,

Pouzar,

Quite a troubling concussion run for Ehrhoff.

Yeah major red flag.

104. RexLibris says:

Dashingsilverfox: I would think a Sam Bennett-Connor McDavid face off would be more apt.

How about Gilbert Brule and Sam Bennett.

Bennett is taller, but they weigh about the same. One is a lefty, the other a righty.

Both played C and a similar style. Both were drafted high and both played in their draft +1 year.

Both posted crooked offensive numbers with high penalty minute totals.

Bennett showed greater offensive potential on paper, but we could debate adjusting for scoring era.

The difference in their junior numbers is 0.09 ppg in Bennett’s favour.

1.87 PIMs per game for Brule. 1.71 for Bennett.

Seems like there are quite a few similarities between the two.

Good thing I don’t put much stock in these kinds of comparisons.

105. Rip Fan Winkle "OilOnslaught" says:

I am now adopting you as the old dog in the store that I go to because I like the people.

I think of you as the cat, but with fox in your name I have to go with dog.

With respect, you speak shit in this room a lot. So, you wear it on your teeth. Personally, I wouldn’t like that. Shitty teeth. Yuk.

106. spoiler says:

NYCOIL “Taking Photos”:
    Anyone with any ideas on who this year’s Stralman might be?

Absolutely…

Jeff Petry.

107. Younger Oil says:

I’m calling it right now, John Quenneville is Matt Cooke 2.0.

Dirty, dirty POS with no respect for the health of his opponents.

Could be a great agitator, but man is he dirty.

108. flyfish1168 says:

Dashingsilverfox: If you wish to make a comparison, I would think a Sam Bennett-Connor McDavid face off would be more apt.

Bennett is 6 months older but they are the same size left shooting centres.

CMD has generation labelled. Sam is a poor mans gilmore. Why not compare Leon from the same draft. He is twice as thick and 25 pounds of muscle over sam. If you watched the draft the commentators couldn’t get over HOW small sam was next to Leon. one of the commentators even said sam is the one that gets sand kicked in his face and how he wasn’t able to even do a chin up.

109. spoiler says:

The first step to doing anything, I think, is to talk to the cap teams–the cap FLOOR teams.

Phoenix for example has a bit of a hike to get to the upper meadows. And they’re a little shy on actual NHL players.

Tippett’s future is undecided there, and if he goes, Doan will not want to stay. He might want out anyways.

If I can dump a Purcell on them for Doan, great. If I can dump Purcell and Ference on them, I’m building a big-ass bonfire and dancing naked around it while quaffing copious amounts of ale.

But that has to be the beginning of the plan. The big names off the teams that dump salaries aren’t going to the Buffalos of this world. The high salary top-end free agents aren’t going to the Phoenixes of this world.

These teams are going to need some salary without sending as much back. See what can be worked out.

If you can get Doan here, you make him Capitan till he retires in a couple of years, by which time McDavid will be ready for it.

Doan can provide the defensive conscience on the 2nd line. He’s doesn’t have the speed he used to, but Purcell never did. Doan brings far more grit, can help the possession game, and can patrol McD’s right side. Can easily flip with Yak down to the 3rd depending on situational play. Can PK.

Incremental change.

If you can unload Ference’s salary, then opportunities open up.

Maybe you can then convince Petry to come back by overpaying in return for term. $5.8M x 6 yrs. Hell even $6M x 7.

If that’s the case, then you can safely trade Schultz. I think Carolina would possibly be interested.

Sign Michalek.

Kelfbom Petry
    Marincin Michalek
    Nurse Fayne
    Nikitin

Some of you might have Nikki in there instead of Nurse, but I think you have to play the better player, and they will be short on O from this group and Nurse offers more options that way than Nikitin..

Should still have enough space to get an Enroth or Ramo or Neuvirth or even Niemi.

But before that, I’d sure be calling that new guy in Jersey and asking him how he felt about having another 1st rounder in a deep draft. Would be a helluva start to their rebuild.

MTL 1st, Scrivens, and their choice of D off the prospect list not named Betker or Nurse for Schneider. Can’t imagine Schneider is too happy about going through another rebuild. Find something around the MTL 1st that works. I think it is a no brainer our goalie goes back, just because they will need one, and to make contracts and dollars even up a bit. Find whatever you have to add to that (based on Schneider wanting out, and NJ wanting to rebuild).

I don’t see any of the teams with a spare 1st wanting Schneider… okay the Jets would, but even their first pick isn’t as good, and they might want to hang onto the better one.

So that’s another phone call I make. Talk Shero’s ear off.

And I make that one before calling Slats on Talbot, for whom I would not give up a 1st. If Slats won’t take a 2nd, then I go after one of the FA keepers. Won’t sign one for too long… keep my powder dry till the right opportunity on a goalie comes up.

110. Gally says:

Yes, the 2003 draft was pretty darn good. But that doesn’t mean you can’t trade a draft pick. First round picks from that year that were complete busts(more or less) Hugh Jessiman, Robert Nilsson, Marc Antoine Pouliot, Anthony Stewart, Jeff Tambellini, Shawn Belle. Less than normal, but the draft isn’t infallible perfection. Also in that draft are a couple guys that got games, but aren’t especially good. The draft is the draft, and you’re still shooting magic bullets, no matter how big the gun they give you that year is. Just because Perry went 28th and Bergeron went 45 in 2003, does not mean you’re getting equivalent players in a deep 2015, in the 33 spot. As was mentioned somewhere at the top, trade up, trade down, just do it well and don’t get your ass handed to you.

111. hags9k says:

Would love to be a fly on the wall as MacT and Chia talk Fraser.

112. Barcs says:

Hall with a nice tip goal after a dominant shift.

On a line with Eberle and Couturier (Crosby is being rested).

Really love Couts as a player.

113. Barcs says:

Ekblad makes it 4-0 over Austria 15 minutes in.

This game is Globe Trotter-esque, it’s not even close. Which is as it should be, obviously.

Canada’s D is really active jumping up into the play and playing like a 5 man unit, it’s very beautiful to watch.

114. blainer says:

Hall with a great tip in and Ebs with the perfect set up for Ekblad.. Really too bad that Ekblad didn’t fall to the oilers last year. What A D he is gonna be…

115. PhrankLee says:

Dashingsilverfox: McDavid goes 1-1-2, +1 on the night.

Ya. We get it. Your guy sucks. How come you’re whining about it here? Don’t you have some red towels around there to sob into?

Ha ha

116. GCW_69 says:

stush18: You sign mike green because he is a right handed shot, and can move the puck. He will cost as much as any of the UFA dmen this year, but comes with a history of offense.

We need dmen who can move the puck to the forwards while skating.

He brings some injury concerns and his ability to play tough comp is in question, no?

117. PhrankLee says:

We signed this guy:

Nice to stock up on prospects to push Brassoit.

118. NYCOIL "Taking Photos" says:

PhrankLee,

Yeah it’s been on the Oilers’ website since yesterday but no announcement made. Maybe pending.

Sounds like two year deal

119. PhrankLee says:

NYCOIL "Taking Photos",

I like it. He has some nice things for an undersized G. Regular season numbers are very attractive.

120. Pouzar says:

Ryan Wilson from Hockeybuzz.com:

Citing a “growing concern over the lack of goal-scoring,” Sportsnet’s Damien Cox (video) reported this weekend that the NHLPA will bring that concern to the table when the competition committee meets in June.

Cox was short on any specifics, but it’s worth noting that, in 2012, NHL general managers debated whether there needed to be a “re-set” on obstruction. Fast forward to 2015 and the league is coming under increasing fire for what many see as a return to the bad old days of clutch-and-grab hockey.

121. Ca$h-McMoney! says:

Dashingsilverfox: Now you’re reaching Rex.

Smith was selected as the Flames 3rd pick in the 2015 draft.

The Flames picked Bennett in the 1st round and he sure looks like a player.

Calgary got a steal with that pick.

Umm…. Smith was picked in his second year of eligibility. He’s from the same original draft class as Roy.

Neither player has been impressive this year, and for that reason there is a decent chance Roy doesn’t get a contract. So saying that they’re even points wise is hardly an argument for Smith being a steal.

The concern with Smith is that he’s 5 inches taller and 60 pounds heavier than a lot of his opposition, and he still doesn’t score very much. That doesn’t bode well for his production when he’s only 30 pounds heavier than the average guy.

You could have had a point (he’s got some upside) but then you went ahead and said “Calgary got a steal with that pick”. If you said that over at Flames Nation the vast majority of posters would laugh you off the board, even modestly clued in Flames fans don’t agree with that statement. Pure and utter trolling.

Oh, and quick update for you:

Hall is still better than Granlund, if you were wondering.

122. NYCOIL "Taking Photos" says:

Pouzar,

Bad news for our captain! Good news for everyone else.

123. blainer says:

PhrankLee:
    NYCOIL “Taking Photos”,

I like it.He has some nice things for an undersized G. Regular season numbers are very attractive.

I dunno… think we could have done better.. Maybe he stays in Europe for another year for development and we add another goalie to fight with LB in Bakersfield.. Sign or trade for a starter.. Let’s get as deep as we can at the position..

124. Pouzar says:

NYCOIL “Taking Photos”:
    Pouzar,

Bad news for our captain! Good news for everyone else.

Oh….and Drai is a stud. Guys bouncing off him all night and he still makes plays.

125. RexLibris says:

Ca$h-McMoney!,

If I wanted to come up with an Oilers comp for Smith it would probably be Moroz as a player who was selected as a “big man who can play with skill”.

Smith was taken as an overager and Moroz was taken too early, in both situations I think the draft decision was flawed relative to the realistic expectations of the player’s potential. Smith had slightly higher production in his draft year, but not so much that he is in another league entirely.

126. NYCOIL "Taking Photos" says:

blainer,

I think this replaces Bunz or Tuohimaa, both total busts at this point who won’t see their 50 man roster contracts renewed. Therefore I see this as an upgrade on one of them.

See it better now?

127. NYCOIL "Taking Photos" says:

RexLibris,

If by big man with skill you mean Joe Colbourne then I agree with you.

128. blainer says:

NYCOIL “Taking Photos”:
    blainer,

I think this replaces Bunz or Tuohimaa,both total busts at this point who won’t see their 50 man roster contracts renewed. Therefore I see this as an upgrade on one of them.

See it better now?

Much better and totally agree. Glad to see some depth moves… You thinking he plays in ECHL next year?

129. RexLibris says:

NYCOIL “Taking Photos”:
    RexLibris,

If by big man with skill you mean Joe Colbourne then I agree with you.

I don’t think “Joe” means what you think it means.

130. blainer says:

Pouzar: I could be in minority here but the NHL playoffs aren’t very exciting. I guess it’s different when you have skin in the game. Of course I am watching more Junior/AHL for obvious reasons too.

Im thinking we should play Drai on the wing to start the year.. If he makes the team that is.. Agreed he is a major talent and really happy we chose him over Bennett.. at this point anyway..

131. russ99 says:

I think out of all of MacT’s favorite things to do that make no sense, I’m be the happiest to see the need to have a couple of goons on the roster go.

Just slightly ahead of three scoring lines, 1A and 1B goalies, unrealistic expectations on young defensemen, the lazy Euro bias, “we’re going to play this way”, bad free agent bets, and being BOLD.

LOL