RE 14-15 ANDREW MILLER: YOU DON’T LOVE ME

The Edmonton-Yale connection isn’t a completely natural one—the 39-hour drive is a bit of an issue—but for the Edmonton Oilers the connection is working just fine. Mark Arcobello’s success may be followed by another Yale product, Andrew Miller. His NHL debut was impressive and he may be part of the future in Edmonton.

RE 14-15: 1GP, 0-0-0

ACTUAL 14-15: 9GP, 1-5-6 .667

ANDREW MILLER BOXCARSmiller boxcar oneANDREW MILLER FANCY NUMBERSmiller fancy one

1. What do the numbers tell us? First, very small sample size so a major flag.
  2. Yep. So what do they say? He had a nice run during those nine games. Tough ZS but his possession number was good considering and he was productive at even strength. Let’s not get excited but a solid audition.
  3. Who did he play with? Anton Lander and Taylor Hall were his most common linemates.
  4. He had five EV points and a 1.47/60? Yes. One of his points was a penalty shot goal, that probably contributed to a lower total.
  5. He’s 5.10 and a buck-80, and is 26. This guy isn’t going to make it. Well, I’m not so sure. Miller has good speed, he can play a two-way game and for me his showing this spring in the NHL makes things interesting.
  6. Is he a skill winger? I’d say yes, but he has an extra gear in that there’s some responsibility in his play.
  7. So, more Fernando Pisani than Ryan Jones? No, I’d say he’s not really comparable to Jones at all and doesn’t have the range of Pisani. Miller’s a small, skilled winger who can make plays at speed. He’s also experienced enough to be on the right side of the puck, but I don’t know if he’s a brilliant player without the puck. Pisani was such a player, and honestly Mark Arcobello had a lot of those same qualities.
  8. So Miller might be that player type? Maybe, we don’t know him well enough and he’s 5.10 so he may never get that opportunity. I’d be very hesitant to suggest that Miller has it in his arsenal, we didn’t see that in the scouting reports.
  9. What did the scouting reports say? Corey Pronman: The 24 year old center is a classic small, skilled college player. Miller displays above-average qualities in terms of his speed, puck skills and overall offensive instincts. In his Senior season especially he showed the ability to consistently create scoring chances and keep the play flowing in the right direction.
  10. Who are the skill wingers in front of him in the organization? Jordan Eberle, Teddy Purcell, Nail Yakupov, I’d say he’s a little ahead of Iiro Pakarinen so we’ll put him No. 4 among skill wingers.
  11. So he makes the team in the fall? Oh, no, no certainty of that happening. Eberle, Purcell, Yakupov are the incumbents, and the NHL checkers like Rob Klinkhammer and Tyler Pitlick would be ahead of him. Plus, Miller is an RFA, Edmonton may not retain him.
  12. Will they? Hell yes. Miller had a very nice season, stepped way up on the depth chart.
  13. Where did you have him on the winter top 20 prospects list? I had him No. 29 but he’ll be higher on the summer list.
  14. How in Jesus can a guy be No. 29 on a top 20? Shut up.
  15. I think you’re trying to build up a pretty marginal prospect here. That could very well be, but Miller spiked offensively last season and even though it’s late for him age-wise there might be a player here. It behooves the Oilers to let this unfold and frankly you could absolutely make a case for Miller being one of the 14 best forwards for next year.
  16. Okay, make the case. At center, I’ll take four players north. Nuge, McDavid, Lander and Gordon. My LW’s are Hall, Pouliot, Draisaitl, Hendricks and Iiro Pakarinen. On RW, there’s Eberle, Purcell, Yakupov, Klinkhammer, leaving No. 14 to Miller or Pitlick.
  17. What about Gazdic and Fraser? Sure, they’re in the mix, along with Slepyshev and of course this could get blown out of the water with trade and signings. Still, Miller has placed himself into the conversation and I hope he keeps going.
  18. College guys seem to like Edmonton. I spoke to Tom Lynn on the Lowdown in the winter, he told me the number one thing college kids are looking for in signing with an NHL team is opportunity. Lynn said a team (like Edmonton) that gives opportunities (and NHL minutes) to college free agents after signing them gets noticed and the agent (ahem, adviser) uses that when discussing destinations. Bottom line: Andrew Miller’s success bodes well for Edmonton in the next free-agent negotiations.
  19. Who have the Oilers signed via college free-agency in recent seasons?
    1. March 8, 2011: Oilers sign Taylor Fedun from Princeton. (11 NHL games).
    2. March 19, 2011: Oilers sign Tanner House from Maine.
    3. March 31, 2011: Oilers sign Hunter Tremblay from University of New Brunswick.
    4. April 4, 2011: Oilers sign Mark Arcobello from Stockton (via Yale). (119 NHL games).
    5. July 1, 2012: Oilers sign Justin Schultz from Wisconsin. (203 NHL games)
    6. April 17, 2013: Oilers sign Andrew Miller from Yale. (9 NHL games)
    7. April 1, 2014: Oilers sign Jordan Oesterle from Western Michigan. (6 NHL games)
  20. Why this song? No specific connection between song and player, just like this one a lot and it’s a sunny day plus it goes on forever. Some fabulous items in there, great great album.

137 Responses to "RE 14-15 ANDREW MILLER: YOU DON’T LOVE ME"

1. LadiesloveSmid says:

I don’t know if Dubnyk would have recovered in Edmonton and had the season he had here. And I’m not sure if Scrivens will be able to either. Bring in Talbot and Ramo and hope it works out better than Scrivens/Fasth.

Also, what’s with the Drouin hating in the previous thread? Guys like Pronman had him above Mackinnon in 2013. Tampa Bay is a crazy deep team and he’s freshly 20. Remember Seguin’s rookie year on a contender?

2. Rip Fan Winkle "OilOnslaught" says:

10 lbs of muscle and he has a good shot at an NHL career. I don’t get why pro hockey players don’t get this.

Bourne’s piece linked last thread explained it well. Most of the successful small men are strong and have developed what they have. They also tend to play like Tasmanian Devils and pay the price. The only other option is elite skill.

I would only sign Miller as a trade chip because he was a good player. I don’t see how he helps the Oilers given they are a small skill team already.

3. OF17 says:

I like Miller. Reminds me of Purcell a bit in that he’s a skilled forward that doesn’t make you nervous when he’s on the ice. Reminds me of Arcobello in that way too.

I’d be disappointed if a guy like Hamilton or Pitlick got a contract ahead of him. He’s shown more than both of them both in the AHL and NHL, and if those aren’t the two biggest factors in re-upping an ELC (especially for non-1st rounders), you’re not doing it right.

4. Rocknrolla says:

Not sure if anyone has posted this yet but I was looking up some salary info on Google, and came accross this…

Looks like a copy of the old site, not sure who’s keeping it up or how updated it is.

I know the community here really loved that site so thought I would share. Hopefully whoever is doing this can maybe forward ad revenue to the estate of the now passed founder. Hopefully that is the intention…

Anyone have any other info? Is it up to date or just last version?

5. OF17 says:

Rip Fan Winkle “OilOnslaught”:

Either that or they have unbelievable skill, like Patrick Kane. Miller’s not cut from the Kane cloth, but he’s shown that he can be useful in certain situations. Not sure why you’d think he has trade value if he has no value to the team.

Put it this way. If Eberle and Purcell go down at the same time, I’d feel a lot more comfortable with Miller in a top-6 role than I would with Pakarinen, no disrespect to Iiro.

6. Picturesque says:

Rocknrolla,

I’m not sure if that’s the old version of Capgeek, but last week someone posted about
    another website that seems like an adequate substitute – http://www.generalfanager.com

7. thejonrmcleod says:

Picturesque:
    Rocknrolla,

8. vinotintazo says:

So I guess we’re not getting that 3rd rounder. 🙁

9. Messier11edm says:

Awfully quiet on the coaching front…anyone think that McLellan deal is already done and they’re just waiting for worlds to end??

10. thejonrmcleod says:

I was comparing the salaries of the Oilers and Flames on General Fanager, and Calgary isn’t really in a superior salary cap situation. They have more RFA and UFAs than Edmonton. I’m assuming the Flames will try to sign Backlund, Jooris, Bouma, Ferland, and Ramo. The Oilers only have Schultz and Marcincin as RFAs. That $9 million in salary cap advantage that the Flames currently have could get eaten up quickly if they sign their own FAs.

11. vinotintazo says:

thejonrmcleod: I looked at that site a few days ago, and it had quite a few bugs. Looks a lot better now.

Capgeek.org looks like someone who basically stole the original site and pushed it there.

12. Messier11edm says:

Bolts putting on a defensive clinic

13. DocFan says:

Just me, or do Habs look like they don’t care?

14. Dashingsilverfox says:

thejonrmcleod:

The Oilers have only 4 NHL defensemen under contract.

If they sign Schultz to a $4M deal, they still need 2 more D and a starting goaltender.

And remember, McDavid is going to have a cap hit of more than $3M if he hits his bonuses.

The Oilers are going to be bumping up right against the cap.

15. book¡je says:

Messier11edm:

Wait, what, the world’s ending? I got some stuff I need to do. Does anyone have a trebuchet?

16. rickithebear says:

Dustin tokarski conf final 13-14
    Carey Price 2nd round. 14-15

17. cabbiesmacker says:

For many people Christmas is the most wonderful time of the year.

For me it’s when the Habs get punted from the playoffs.

18. cabbiesmacker says:

book¡je: Wait, what, the world’s ending? I got some stuff I need to do.Does anyone have a trebuchet?

I do but Mr Eakins and Mr MacTavish are sitting in it at the moment.

Give me 10 seconds to enjoy myself and it’s all yours.

19. stush18 says:

Re: the last thread

Diesel: i always had the hardest time playing against my friends when i went back home. I would do fakes that never registered to them. They only way to play was to just drive wide and outskate them, which led to comments about how they could all play on my team if they wanted.

Skill players not scoring: i dont think its a suprise that the bigger, stronger and faster players scored more this year. Clutch and grab was back, and if you get points on the powerplay or by making time and space, well there isnt any. Even tavares commented on how the refs were much more lenient and calling less, and that it was more difficult to make plays.

I like the idea of increasing the nets size. It would have to be very gradual however, as it would mess with the goalies angles.

My favourite solution is to increase the rink size. Adding an extra foot around the boards would do a lot, and you could move the bluelines back a foot each, making the endzones bigger, but keeping the nueteal zone the same size. I imagine you would see scoring jump with more passing lanes and room for skill guys.

Drouin: dont be stupid. Hell be a star feeding stamkos. 30 points as a rookie with fourth line minutes in a year where scoring was down is impressive. He just needs his man strength.

20. stush18 says:

rickithebear:
    Dustin tokarski conf final 13-14
    Carey Price 2nd round. 14-15

King of small sample sizes. You and DSF in an elevator all day would be interesting. I guess that s what actually happens when LT is left alone with his thoughts.

21. leadfarmer says:

stush18,

I was wondering has anyone done an analysis of goalie size with pads and how much surface area of the net they cover in 1980s to now. I think they should increase the nets by one inch on each side and by 4 inches on the top. Let goalies adjust for 5 years and make the slightly bigger again.

22. knighttown says:

stush18:
    Re: the last thread

I’ve heard this before but why are we worried about the goalie’s angles. Why doesn’t anyone care that the shooters angles have disappeared? Semantics I know and you seem pro-offense but it just seems like if there’s a controversy go with the safe play (which is to protect the defense).

If a play looks weird at the blue line call it offside to be safe.
    Put the whistles away in overtime. Don’t want to cost a team the game.

Why does no one ever look at the other side of the coin? By not calling that penalty (say the high stick on Galchenyuk) you’ve cost that team the game.

Not a massive football fan because of the dicks that inhabit the sport but I LOVE their commitment to sticking with the rule book. The will call an offensive lineman 100 times in a row for a hold because they understand that the entire balance of the sport is thrown off if they consciously choose not to make the call.

23. Pouzar says:

knighttown,

Not trying to be a dick but there’s is holding on practically every single play in football.

24. leadfarmer says:

stush18,

No GM is going to go for that. That would mean they have to take some seats out and it would be the expensive seats.

And to clarify my point on the last thread, I think Drouin will be a good player and Yak will score enough to have a long career. It’s part of a long held belief on this site that u should not draft dmen high, because the bust more although there is no evidence to back that up. In fact dmen without skating issues do very well. Wingers and especially those under 6 feet tall are more likely to bust.
    Another issue people bring up is that defensemen take so long to mature that you waste their entire entry level contract without much benefit from that player, so I provided a long list of wingers that were not much use during their entry level contract.
    Druin will be a fine player. Is Tampa going to get much out of his entry level contract? Don’t know. Haven’t so far. Oilers didn’t get much out of Yakupovs entry level contract. Doesn’t mean he won’t be a good player.

25. leadfarmer says:

Yeah there’s a reason linemen look so shocked when they get a holding penalty called against them. Cause they just did the same thing for the last 5 plays.

26. knighttown says:

Pouzar:
    knighttown,

Considering the amount of contact inherent in the game, it could be reduced to unwatchable
    Wrestling. I’m amazed but how consistently the refs call the obstruction fouls whether it’s in the trenches or on pass interference. Christ, they call a minuscule flinch a false start.

Hockey ignores it’s rule book far more than any other sport. Well, maybe traveling in basketball.

You’re wrong on this one P.

27. Gordies Elbow says:

Dashingsilverfox: The Oilers have only 4 NHL defensemen under contract.

If they sign Schultz to a $4M deal,they still need 2 more D and a starting goaltender.

The Oilers are going to be bumping up right against the cap.

That said, I’d say that McDavid will hit all of his bonuses, so they should plan for it.

Art Ross as a rookie? Entirely possible.

28. Dashingsilverfox says:

stush18: I honestly think you and DSF are just LT and his multiple personalities. DSF is his troll side and you are his math side trying to escape.

King of small sample sizes.You and DSF in an elevator all day would be interesting. I guess that s what actually happens when LT is left alone with his thoughts.

If I was in an elevator with Ricki I would likely assault him.

29. knighttown says:

The general argument against large rinks besides the financial is that in Europe defences just give you the outside and collapse back to the middle. At least small rinks have the tendency toward more randomness due to bodies being closer together. If people do get the puck they see closer to s scoring area.

I’m not sure that’s the answer.

30. G Money says:

stush18: You and DSF in an elevator all day would be interesting.

This would not end well. There is strong evidence to suggest that Ricki is, in fact, an actual bear.

31. Rip Fan Winkle "OilOnslaught" says:

Easy to make, thanks to internet that quickened the end. My wife said no, but i said it was for the kids.

32. Dashingsilverfox says:

Gordies Elbow: The cap hit for McDavid will likely be deferred to the season following, where $12 million comes off of the books, and a stable Canadian dollar will help in the projections.

Art Ross as a rookie? Entirely possible.

Good grief.

McDavid is a sublime talent but he’s being held mostly in check by Cole Cassels.

Do you think the Getzlafs, Kopitars and Toews of the world are going to have issues?

He’s going to have a target on his back.

Temper your expectations.

33. Pouzar says:

knighttown: You’re wrong on this one P.

Google agrees with me.

34. Gordies Elbow says:

Dashingsilverfox: Good grief.

He’s going to have a target on his back.

Temper your expectations.

Hey, didn’t you call him going to Toronto?

Yeah. That said, he’s a remarkable player.

Best player in 30 years. Glad he’ll be an Oiler.

35. Pouzar says:

Dashingsilverfox: Good grief.

He’s going to have a target on his back.

Temper your expectations.

And it begins.

36. Dashingsilverfox says:

Gordies Elbow: Hey, didn’t you call him going to Toronto?

Yeah. That said, he’s a remarkable player.

Best player in 30 years. Glad he’ll be an Oiler.

Something, something about chickens and counting.

37. Dashingsilverfox says:

Pouzar: And it begins.

Remember when Yakupov was going to be a perennial 30 goal scorer?

Lots can happen on the way to Grandma’s house.

38. Gordies Elbow says:

Dashingsilverfox: Something, something about chickens and counting.

How long will Vancouver keep counting? Year’s till the first cup, that is?

39. Aitch says:

Dashingsilverfox,

Still might with McDavid feeding him the puck. Not like he’s over the hill or anything.

PS. The Oilers may only have four d-men under contract but the problem isn’t finding someone other than Schultz to fill a spot. Marincin is also a RFA. Ditto for Davidson. The problem for Chia isn’t finding new d-men. It’s getting rid of some of the current crop. And other than trading Klefbom or Nurse any uprgrade on the remaining crop will help.

And I agree with messier11edm regarding the possibility of the Oilers and McClellan already having a deal in place, but not dealing with it until after the WCs. I think it’s the same approach the team is taking with McDavid, waiting for his junior days to be over before doing something other than dropping obvious hints regarding who they’ll take #1. Once they formalize it, there’s gonna be hype. No need to distract him with it while he’s still playing for another team for a few more games/weeks. Back to McClellan, even Eberle brought up how focused McClellan is at the Worlds.

40. Rip Fan Winkle "OilOnslaught" says:

Dashingsilverfox: Remember when Yakupov was going to be a perennial 30 goals scorer?

Lots can happen on the way to Grandma’s house.

I suppose you’ll continue to point out things that are irrelevant still. Even after the new order. Every family has it’s challenges.

41. Dashingsilverfox says:

Gordies Elbow: How long will Vancouver keep counting? Year’s till the first cup, that is?

Vancouver hasn’t won a cup since 1915.

That’s 100 years and counting.

Although there are some pretty good teams that have never won….San Jose, St. Louis, Ottawa, Washington, Nashville and Buffalo (in their prime).

There’s a statute of limitations that kicks in after 25 years that says, if you haven’t won a cup in a quarter of a century, you become pretenders like the Toronto Maple Leafs…who have actually won 13 cups although there are very few of us living who have memories of their last win.

42. Pouzar says:

Aitch,

I think a deal is done with TM as well. Just a gut feeling.

43. Dashingsilverfox says:

Rip Fan Winkle “OilOnslaught”: All I know is that teams without top level skill cannot compete in the long term. I know that the Oilers have that, so I now can relax, given the changes after the GOLD card.

Balance is more important than “top level skill”.

A team that is overloaded with top 6 forwards (who are going to get paid) and the worst D and G in the league is going nowhere.

We’ll see how Chiarelli addresses those issues.

44. Gordies Elbow says:

Dashingsilverfox: Vancouver hasn’t won a cup since 1915.

That’s 100 years and counting.

There’s a statute of limitations that kicks in after 25 years that says, if you haven’t won a cup in a quarter of a century, you become pretenders like the Toronto Maple Leafs…who have actually won13 cups although there are very few of us living who have memories of their last win.

I remember winning 5 cups.

For Vancouver, I remember Mark Messier, and a “tires pumping” riot.

As much as you’d like, there isn’t a statute of limitations on cup wins.

I get that it sucks for a Vancouver fan – close, but not close enough.

Didn’t you say that McDavid – the best player to be drafted in 30 years (according to a guy by the name of Gretzky) was going to go to Toronto?

45. Dashingsilverfox says:

Gordies Elbow: I remember winning 5 cups.

For Vancouver, I remember Mark Messier, and a “tires pumping” riot.

As much as you’d like, there isn’t a statute of limitations on cup wins.

I get that it sucks for a Vancouver fan – close, but not close enough.

So what you’re saying is the Maple Leafs are awesome because they won 13 cups?

Sorry, not buying it.

46. Gordies Elbow says:

Dashingsilverfox: So what you’re saying is the Maple Leafs are awesome because they won 13 cups?

Sorry, not buying it.

No, I specifically asked how long before Vancouver won it’s first cup, and pointed out that you thought that McDavid (the best prospect in 30 years) would go to Toronto and not Edmonton.

You answered neither, which was expected.

That said, for the “counting chickens,” are we including the 34 year old Sedins? Old, slow, and have been referred to as of the poultry variety? It’s about the only thing that would make your post about “counting chickens” make sense.

47. rickithebear says:

Dashingsilverfox: Remember when Yakupov was going to be a perennial 30 goal scorer?

Lots can happen on the way to Grandma’s house.

Damn it!
    johnny no show!
    Did not do that!
    How pathetic a group of rookies if he is top 3 for the calder!

Sorry, not buying it.

That was in black and white.

49. Snowman says:

Dashingsilverfox: Balance is more important than “top level skill”.

We’ll see how Chiarelli addresses those issues.

Have some extra picks? Pick up a goaler (as in trade a pick or two).

Have some cap space? Sign another defenseman.

I think if I figured out how this will work Chiarelli has probably got it.

50. Dashingsilverfox says:

Just taking a look at the Lightning roster in tonight’s game.

Tyler Johnson – undrafted free agent

Cedric Paquette – 4th round pick

Alex Killorn – 3rd round pick

Ondrej Palat – 7th round pick

J.T. Brown – undrafted free agent

Jonathan Marchessault – undrafted free agent

Andrej Sustr – undrafted free agent

Nikita Kucherov – 2nd round pick

Nikita Nesterov – 5th round pick

Someone in TB knows what he’s doing.

51. Dashingsilverfox says:

Lowetide: That was in black and white.

Going forward, only 4K cup wins will count.

52. Dashingsilverfox says:

Snowman: I’m not sure what the problem is… Have too many top 6 forwards? Trade one. Don’t have enough D AND too many top 6 forwards? Trade one for a D.

Have some extra picks? Pick up a goaler (as in trade a pick or two).

Have some cap space? Sign another defenseman.

I think if I figured out how this will work Chiarelli has probably got it.

Yes…that’s the solution…now let’s see it in action.

53. Gordies Elbow says:

Dashingsilverfox:
    Just taking a look at the Lightning roster in tonight’s game.

Tyler Johnson – undraftedfree agent

Cedric Paquette – 4th round pick

Alex Killorn – 3rd round pick

Ondrej Palat – 7th round pick

J.T. Brown – undrafted free agent

Jonathan Marchessault– undraftedfree agent

Andrej Sustr – undrafted free agent

Nikita Kucherov – 2nd round pick

Nikita Nesterov – 5th round pick

Someone in TB knows what he’s doing.

PS: What do you think about McDavid to Edmonton?

54. Dashingsilverfox says:

rickithebear: Remember when Yakupov and Gaudreau were top 30 in Goals in the nhl during their rookie season.

Damn it!
    johnny no show!
    Did not do that!
    How pathetic a group of rookies if he is top 3 for the calder!

55. Pouzar says:

Dashingsilverfox:
    Just taking a look at the Lightning roster in tonight’s game.

Tyler Johnson – undraftedfree agent

Cedric Paquette – 4th round pick

Alex Killorn – 3rd round pick

Ondrej Palat – 7th round pick

J.T. Brown – undrafted free agent

Jonathan Marchessault– undraftedfree agent

Andrej Sustr – undrafted free agent

Nikita Kucherov – 2nd round pick

Nikita Nesterov – 5th round pick

Someone in TB knows what he’s doing.

But they have to get paid.

56. Gordies Elbow says:

Dashingsilverfox: Remember when Gaudreau scored 24 goals and 64 points in his rookie season and Yakupov didn’t?

They’re both still better than the Sedins.

PS: Did you hear the Edmonton gets the McDavid pick? Yay, lottery!!!

57. Gordies Elbow says:

That said – he’ll likely have a new coach, and be playing with Connor McDavid this year.

PS: Did you hear the Edmonton gets the McDavid pick? Yay, lottery!!!

58. Dashingsilverfox says:

Gordies Elbow: Yep, the management in Vancouver should pay attention. Old team, and not alot in the pipeline.

PS: What do you think about McDavid to Edmonton?

In that spirit, McDavid is both a blessing and a curse to the Oilers.

The Oilers, as currently constructed, have 3 years (McDavid’s ELC) to win a cup.

If they don’t, they will have to start selling off pieces to stay under the cap.

For reference, look at the Pittsburgh Penguins who won a cup in Crosby’s 4th season BUT they had Malkin on an ELC.

Since then…crickets.

Not only do the Oilers not have a Malkin but all of their young stars are already on big dollar second contracts and they have a bunch of stiffs pulling in big dollars.

Considering the team has 1 1/2 NHL defensemen, no goaltending and the aforementioned stiffs, Chiarelli has a lot of work to do,

It’s not impossible to fix it but it will take big balls to balance the roster by trading Taylor Hall.

BTW, if you want to discuss the Canucks I’,m more than willing but please try not to gum up the works with your fanboy schtick.

59. Dashingsilverfox says:

Gordies Elbow: Hey, Yakupov without the lockout, was on pace for 29 goals in his rookie season. That would have put him like second on the Canucks this year.

PS: Did you hear the Edmonton gets the McDavid pick? Yay, lottery!!!

How do you spell unsustainable?

60. Dashingsilverfox says:

Gordies Elbow: They’re both still better than the Sedins.

The Oilers’ top scorer was Jordan Eberle who finished 38th. (behind Johnny Gaudreau).

61. digdeepnbleedblue says:

Dashingsilverfox,

Somebody needs to get laid….

62. Gordies Elbow says:

Dashingsilverfox: Hey…did you know that Yakupov had a 21% shooting percentage that season and is now under 10%?

How do you spell unsustainable?

That said, Yakupov and Hall are likely to be fed by Edmonton’s first overall pick.

Didn’t you think that McDavid was going to Toronto?

If so, I get why their results would drop.

That said – what do you think about the best player in 30 years going to a team like Edmonton, where McDavid can feed Hall, Yakupov, or Eberle?

63. Dashingsilverfox says:

digdeepnbleedblue:
    Dashingsilverfox,

Somebody needs to get laid….

Yes he does. (although he seems to be working solo on the problem)

Somehow he is confusing the future of the Oilers with McDavid and the Canucks.

64. Gordies Elbow says:

Dashingsilverfox: When i was teaching journalism, I would tell my students not to ask disparate questions since the subject of the interview will always ignore the first part and answer the second.

Clearly instead of teaching, you should have been learning.

65. Snowman says:

This is a ridiculous thread

Good points followed by ridiculous points followed by unrelated points followed by good points that may or may not be accurate.

And I absolutely don’t mean that is DSF is responsible for all of these items. It’s really funny to read as someone not invested in the conversation, what a playground level conversation is being had. Some days I learn a lot. Some days, like today, I laugh a lot and learn almost nothing other than who’s skin DSF gets under.

66. Dashingsilverfox says:

Gordies Elbow: ” Unsustainable.” Defined as the Vancouver Canucks ability to win playoff rounds.

Didn’t you think that McDavid was going to Toronto?

If so, I get why their results would drop.

The two best scorers in the league are Benn and Seguin.

Want to pick an Oilers pair and make a bet?

67. Gordies Elbow says:

Dashingsilverfox: Do you mean the Sedins who were 9th and 13th in league scoring this season or some other Sedins?

68. Gordies Elbow says:

Dashingsilverfox: The two best scorers in the league are Benn and Seguin.

Want to pick an Oilers pair and make a bet?

69. Dashingsilverfox says:

Gordies Elbow: And yet came to the same outcome. Perhaps the younger may learn from the older’s mistakes.

Both teams made the playoffs.

The Oilers finished 39 points behind the Canucks and 34 points behind the Flames.

If neither the Canucks or Flames make any positive changes, perhaps the Oilers can gain some ground but a team with no D and no G won’t get very far.

Both the Canucks and Flames are loaded at G and their D is miles ahead of the Oilers.

Chiarelli can certainly work on that but it won’t be easy and some of your BFF are going to have to go to get it done.

70. Dashingsilverfox says:

Gordies Elbow: I’m not sure that it would be a fair bet. You seem to know how things are going to play out (at least according to your posts.) Wasn’t it the Leafs who were going to pick McDavid (the best player in the last 30 years, according to Greztky?)

Step up or shut up.

71. Gordies Elbow says:

Dashingsilverfox: Step up or shut up.

Wow, clearly hit a nerve.

Was it that Edmonton’s getting the best pick in the last 30 years (from Gretzky et. al.) or the slags against the Canucks. who are clearly on their way to the basement due to poor drafting and development?

72. stush18 says:

knighttown: I’ve heard this before but why are we worried about the goalie’s angles. Why doesn’t anyone care that the shooters angles have disappeared?Semantics I know and you seem pro-offense but it just seems like if there’s a controversy go with the safe play (which is to protect the defense).

If a play looks weird at the blue line call it offside to be safe.
    Put the whistles away in overtime. Don’t want to cost a team the game.

I want to increase scoring but i dont want to bloat the scoring to the 80’s and 90’s levels. A good tight defensive game is still entertaining. Thats why i don’t immediately add extra size to the nets.

As for increasing board size, i agree that the owners would never agree to it. I was just saying i think it would be a great idea. Its not like were going to an olympic sized ice surface. Extra room in the corners, and creates a bigger slot. I imagine every team would have to remove one row of seats. However im sure they would find a way to make up the money elsewhere

Not sure where youre going with the penalties? I think that penalties should be called tighter, no matter the situation. Letting a team get away with penalties, and then calling one later only confuses the players to the standard, not to mention ticks off the team that finally gets called.

I think an increase in arena size would also decrease questionable penalties. Becomes a lot more obvious if you lose a step to the inside and have to slow him down.

73. digdeepnbleedblue says:

Snowman,

LOL I just wanted to make a small comment on Miller as that’s what this fine article is about. Then I quickly perused the thread… Tread with caution. Hahahaha

Ahhh, shit. The interwebby thingy is an interesting place. No fucking doubt about it.

Anyhoo, I was pleasantly pleased with Miller. Got some speed. Better shot than Arco. Not a bad player. I’d like him to find his inner Gallagher…I’d like a lot of current Oilers to find their inner Gallagher, but I think he should get pen to papered. At least for another year.

Yak can be that Gallagher with far more skill. Nelson’s season was just starting to tap into that potential. The sky’s not falling, yo.

As for Miller, another soldier for the TC fight.

I can’t wait for TC! Still got the draft. FA! I’m losing my fucking shit over here. LOL

74. Snowman says:

Dashingsilverfox,

Out of curiousity, Why do you think the Oilers have only three years to win a cup?

I follow the Pittsburgh example to some extent but the Oilers have way more assets they can sell off when the cap gets tight. I mean, if Pitt traded Malkin, there’d be a hole, a big hole. With Drai, Nuge, and McDavid you can trade a top two center in a couple years and assuming things break the right way you still have two top two centers.

Same things with wingers, if Yak pans out you can trade Eberle or Yak or Hall.

Make sure you get some good young cheap prospects and repeat as necessary until Mcdavid is old.

I think they’re in a better spot in terms of assets (due to a decade of sucking and extreme luck) than the Pens did when they got their big two.

75. RexLibris says:

Off topic but I think it deserves mention, the Eskimos today got one hell of a lucky break when Danny Groulx (OT) fell to them at 7th overall.

Montreal, BC, and Saskatchewan went a bit walkabout allowing a player ranked as high as 2nd overall to be taken by the Eskimos. 6’6″, 325 and believed to be ready to play this season.

76. OF17 says:

LT, I’m usually not in favor of silencing the opposition, but any thread DSF gets into becomes a game of cat and mouse with the ever-hiding troll. Is there some way to limit his posting? This sort of dialogue is entirely counter to this blog’s goal, namely intelligent discussion.

I’m all for unconventional viewpoints, but when they’re so disruptive as to make discussion impossible, is it not time to step in?

The blog isn’t the same with DSF and responses clogging the airways, There’s a reason he was banned from HFBoards.

77. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Miller types are good 50 man bets IMO. Smart players with an interesting range of skill that have the potential to fill an NHL role should necessity force its hand.

These are the reasonable bet 50 man roster adds.

They aren’t flashy. They don’t have a big upside. But, they don’t have the cluster of problems (a singular scout adores them; they are a fighter; they have one attribute down, but can’t do anything else) that you tend to find amongst the dead weight of every team’s 50 man.

Previous incarnations for this team were Fedun and Arco. The key question for the team, is when do you part ways with this kind of player? At some point you need to try another round of these types on for size.

I’d happily give Miller one more year on a cheap two way deal. Modest AHL $$ to keep him interested.

———–
    It’s worth noting that MacT and Tambo both had some talent in pushing for better bets down the 50 man roster and into the AHL ranks.

More Feduns and Millers and Pakarinens and less Abneys, etc.

78. PhrankLee says:

This thread sucked. DSF needs to find treatment or a support group for this perpetual inferiority complex. Lashing out in a desperate attempt to be noticed by OP and his best buddy WG. It’s pathetic. Hilarious and sad too.

Miller has a chance. Role player HS practice squad chance. But with Yak putting on muscle this summer and his getting the arrows pointed in the right direction over the tail end of the season I expect him to split Gaudreau in half with a hit early in the season.

His sentence will be reserved out of awe.

Then he will sit for 2 min, feel shame, and then go free.

The canucks are as much a joke as Edmonton or Buffalo. Except they had the players, coaching and talent. Squandered chance after squandered chance. No killer instinct. And what killer instinct they had they lost to Anaheim.

And they hold Lucic responsible. That’s a tell.

79. NYCOIL "Taking Photos" says:

Wow. This morning I walked from my cousin’s house in Tokyo to the subway to take the subway to Shibuya to switch to the regular train to switch to the monorail to the airport to take a plane to Ishigaki Island to switch to a taxi to get to the ferry to get to Iriomote Island to take a rental car to my lodging for the night. In the meantime, epic bickering back and forth. Thank the gords I was at least doing something productive today.

Three dives lined up tomorrow, looking forward to it.

80. Really? says:

This thread was a waste of time. I don’t come here to read what DSF the troll has to say. I come to this site to read interesting interaction based on the topics chosen by LT. Just as bad as his trolling is how people continuously rise to the bait.

81. thejonrmcleod says:

I apologize for luring DSF into the thread with my comment about the Flames’ salary cap situation. (It actually was sort of a test to see how long it would take before he took the bait.)

82. PhrankLee says:

NYCOIL “Taking Photos”,

Did you feel any effects of the earthquake reported?

Here’s the thing with DSF. Most of the time, he’s a very smart poster who chimes in with worthy if prickly comments and asides. At times, like last night, he dominates a thread and we are left to clean up the mess in the morning.

I have timed out DSF in the past, and received MANY dm’s suggesting my actions were heavy handed, and at one point he was unable to post here DESPITE me not banning him (seems the blog Gods got him) and people were beside themselves thinking I wasn’t being forthcoming.

For whatever reason, DSF occupies a specific spot on this blog. I’ve come to appreciate his considerable insight and overlook his flaws (which we all have btw).

Last night? Train wreck. Cause? DSF. If you want me to ban him, I will. However, if I do this time it’s for good and no bitching will be tolerated when he’s gone.

Because, and I know I’m right here, you will miss him.

84. Yeti says:

NYCOIL “Taking Photos”: P.S. Iriomote Island is biblical. I’ve seen a moth infestation, a frog infestation, giant bats, mice and a venomous adder on the road inside an hour.

The venomous adder was likely the familiar of DSF. Did you perchance get bitten? It appears that many did 😉

85. Genjutsu says:

Dashingsilverfox: ‘

If I was in an elevator with Ricki I would likely assault him.

So you’re a tough guy now too?

Honest question: what’s it like being a living joke?

86. flyfish1168 says:

comparing a 18 year old with limited english to a 21 year old. we will see how tough johnny yahoo is 2nd time around when he is a target. like sammy 1 major shoulder surgery already. Neither player has the framework to put on weight to sustain the rigors of the western conference. they will be dog meat.

87. Yeti says:

On Miller, as Rom put it (please post more Rom!), he’s done everything to deserve a two-way contract that will see him in the AHL for most of the year but with management knowing that he can move up and slot if needed to cover holes. And, given the opportunity, who knows if he might stick?

As for DSF, there’s a Russian proverb that applies here:

“A bear is wrong in that he killed a cow. A cow is wrong in that she went to the forest”.

Some posters need to learn that if they wander into the forest with DSF, then they are venturing into apocalypse now where the rules of war don’t apply. Don’t complain if it turns out ugly. There are no winners, just endless conflict.

88. Yeti says:

Genjutsu: Honest question: what’s it like being a living joke?

And just like that: Bear! Forest! Cow!

89. G Money says:

Lowetide: Because, and I know I’m right here, you will miss him.

But on this I think you are wrong – I wouldn’t miss him in the least.

90. RexLibris says:

I’ve been in many discussions with the inimitable Mr. Fox and been driven to distraction by said conversations on several occasions.

I’ve never wanted him banned for his part in the discussion, only chided myself for letting it get to me.

DSF will help at times to bring a discordant tone to a conversation that, as someone has described in the past, is often in danger of becoming an echo chamber.

Some of his points I take to heart, others I ignore. But my advice to all those who become infuriated over a comment or conversation he is having is to ignore it.

I’ve never felt DSF was trolling LT’s threads in a typical fashion based on my experience with trolls in other online forums, and I can’t say I’ve read much that deserves banning, in my opinion.

The great thing about the blog threads is that we can listen to opinions and then hold everyone, ourselves included, to account for those same opinions, if we so choose. If it turns out they are wrong, we have the proverbial tape to go back to. Think of Kelly Hrudey and his “3rd line center” comment on Nugent-Hopkins. It wasn’t mean-spirited and if it were made on this forum I’d never lobby to have that person banned for it. But if and when Nugent-Hopkins becomes a solid 1st or 2nd line C, you can be certain I’d bring that comment back to the person who made it.

Of the many discussions I’ve had with DSF I can’t say I really regret anything save my own emotional investment in the argument. But that is the nature of sophistry and DSF is our Glaucon.

91. RexLibris says:

Yeti: Bear! Forest! Cow!

Sounds like a Russian version of Rock Paper Scissors.

92. Pouzar says:

G Money: The quality of discourse on this blog was markedly higher when he was on hiatus

When I found this site a couple/few years ago the comments were definitely better. I left HFBoards and found heaven and if you didn’t back up your narrative with some evidence you were quickly called out here and discussions moved forward. Back then I never imagined a guy like that would be tolerated here. But here we are.

Yes….I get it….sometimes he offers up some good points but more often than not he gets into a pissing contest with someone and the thread is lost (see last night) and the good citizens of Lowetide are forced to sift through his carnage.

93. Pouzar says:

G Money: I’m not in favour of banning him (or anyone), barring outrightly offensive e.g. racist, homophobic, etc rantings.But on this I think you are wrong – I wouldn’t miss him in the least. The quality of discourse on this blog was markedly higher when he was on hiatus, and it has suffered a distinct and noticeable decline since he came back. That is, in general, both the intent and the consequence of troll habitat – derailed threads, and heated arguments over irrelevancies. Rather than feed the troll, I personally find myself posting here quite a bit less since he came back. And I first became a “real” Lowetider because I had to get away from the DSF-inspired nonsense, the constant misdirections, thread hijacks, and so on, over at OilersNation. (I suppose in fairness this is the one positive effect I can say DSF has had, but it kind of disappears if I have to bail out of here too).The most common defense of DSF is in line with your “worthy if prickly comments”, but I don’t agree – it seems to me that the worthy comments are buried in a mound of crap. The signal to troll ratio is about 95% or higher.And if DSFs comments are not trolling, they seem to be copied off the TSN twitter feed. I suppose the latter might be useful if, hmmm, maybe you’re a poster who doesn’t have access to the internet, but as that’s an impossibility …

Oh….and you won the internet with this post.

94. flyfish1168 says:

But on this I think you are wrong – I wouldn’t miss him in the least.

The quality of discourse on this blog was markedly higher when he was on hiatus, and it has suffered a distinct and noticeable decline since he came back.That is, in general, both the intent and the consequence of troll habitat – derailed threads, and heated arguments over irrelevancies.

Rather than feed the troll, I personally find myself posting here quite a bit less since he came back.And I first became a “real” Lowetider because I had to get away from the DSF-inspired nonsense, the constant misdirections, thread hijacks, and so on, over at OilersNation.(I suppose in fairness this is the one positive effect I can say DSF has had, but it kind of disappears if I have to bail out of here too).

The most common defense of DSF is in line with your “worthy if prickly comments”, but I don’t agree – it seems to me that the worthy comments are buried in a mound of crap.The signal to troll ratio is about 95% or higher.

And if DSFs comments are not trolling, they seem to be copied off the TSN twitter feed.I suppose the latter might be useful if, hmmm, maybe you’re a poster who doesn’t have access to the internet, but as that’s an impossibility …

I agree.

The problem with the internet and i fall into this category also you can always find an argument to support your beliefs right or wrong. On my F/B page I only delete comments rather then befriend them.

95. Hammers says:

Dashingsilverfox: Vancouver hasn’t won a cup since 1915.

That’s 100 years and counting.

Oh well you can always think about the loosing in the finals . That’s one thing Vancouver has in common withe Oilers . Seems the oil have lost in the final round just like the Canucks but we do have those banners to look at even if it was over 25 years ago . Oh yea Vancouver has been in the league longer as well . Sport is about tradition and I think most would accept Edmontons over Vancouvers.

96. PhrankLee says:

G Money: The signal to troll ratio is about 95% or higher.

I find this to be true. I also agree that none of it would be missed by this poster.

I used to learn a lot on this blog. Posts are still solid, human.

The comments suffer very badly in quality and substance due to this nonsense.

Discord and sabotage are separate things, imo.

And on a personal note I find it childish. I seek this place out for grown up discussions but they are getting rarer and rarer due to this, again, nonsense.

98. Kris11 says:

Hi LT,

I know this isn’t a democracy, but I’d ask you to ban DSF. One of the reasons I don’t post here and read less is because he is here, clearly trolling, constantly, and it is getting worse and worse.

He isn’t an Oilers fan offering his experience, looking for community. He isn’t interested in analysis of hockey in general. He is so clearly here to bait, inflame, and stir dissent. (There are places he would be happier doing that, I think. Banning him would do him a favor.) It is so clear to me that this is the case.

If I wanted disputes about “Hey, what about Gaudreau, boys?” (good player, but I don’t care) or “Hall is a bust” every time Hall has a slump, I’d read the TSN blog. If the other posters ignored him, I could tolerate him, but trolls don’t get ignored easily, which is why they need to be banned sometimes.

Without the stronger commenters commenting regularly, one unbanned and active troll can kill your comments page for good. I’ve seen it happen. Not sure why you’d risk that for a guy who would be happier posting elsewhere.

99. NYCOIL "Taking Photos" says:

PhrankLee:
    NYCOIL “Taking Photos”,

Did you feel any effects of the earthquake reported?

No, I did not. That quake struck Tohoku, where I was last week. Ie, those areas I was visiting that were rocked 4 years ago by quake and tsunami. That’s where this one hit. Fortunately, Japan’s building codes are so strict that 6.8 wasn’t so bad. Still, am sure it brought back a few unwanted memories. I wasn’t even shaken this time but it made me think back to that day four years ago. And now I think about Nepal a lot. Working on some stuff to try and raise some funds to help there soon.

100. Derek says:

DSF, basically doubles or triples the amount of comments you have to skip over in any given thread to get to anything worth reading. That, plus the loss of regular, quality commenters that are weary of his shtick outweigh any perceived benefits of his continued presence. Atleast the good trolls are funny.

As long as the Oilers have been discussed on the internet, DSF has been there picking away at people for reasons only known to himself. Cut out the rot.

101. leadfarmer says:

Dashingsilverfox,

I think this is how you spell unsustainable.

Calgary Flames

102. Pouzar says:

Lowetide: So, if you don’t want a ban, and that’s what I’m reading here, what DO you want me to do?

If you have to ask the question…….

103. sumaclab says:

I like Miller and as a 3rd line winger with Lander and ? he would fit in well.Size will always be an issue on this team but tell that to Tyler Johnson.

The Canadians looked at times like they would could not score a goal.How the heck do you explain that? Where the heck did Galchenyuk disappear to? The only threat they had was Patches and he was checked into a box.Subban was a non factor. There has to some punch added there this summer.

Jonathan Drouin is in a pickle in Tampa Bay.Jon Cooper seems to have no confidence in him as a player.I see a draft day deal being made to move him on.

The Chicago Blackhawks. look locked in. I’ll take them in 6 games. Last kick at the cat for this group I would think.

Taylor Hall and Jordan Eberle are doing well/as expected against the Worlds B level players. Good to see.

104. NYCOIL "Taking Photos" says:

I would say nothing. We’re all guilty of thread-jacking and getting worked up emotionally from time to time. We collectively need to police ourselves (and I think we do that when it comes to inappropriate comments); we also need to temper our emotions when it comes to inflammatory arguments. Nothing DSF says is offensive or inappropriate. It is, however, often borderline absurd. He is the alter ego to the restrained tone of this blog.

If we don’t like it we should ignore him and carry on as we do. The solution to a playground in disarray isn’t to ban the child who likes to start things in my opinion. Ignore the obvious bait and carry on and his behavior will change, too.

For example, post Chiarelli and Nicholson he was quite nice to have back. MacT staying on brought out some absurdity again. If Chia makes the right moves he will gripe less. And we should be able to discuss things without jumping on his every word.

105. RexLibris says:

…what DO you want me to do?

Trade Justin Schultz already!

Or do you not have the power to do that?

106. NYCOIL "Taking Photos" says:

RexLibris: Trade Justin Schultz already!

Or do you not have the power to do that?

If he got Smid traded, to a division rival no less, he can get Schultz traded.

107. Kris11 says:

If we don’t like it we should ignore him and carry on as we do

That doesn’t happen with trolls, though. It hasn’t happened yet with him. So I don’t see it as an effective solution. The problem is that many people ignore him, but if three or four don’t, there are dozens of comments between him and others that have to be ignored and it gets hard to read the blog after scrolling past message after message.

108. RexLibris says:

NYCOIL “Taking Photos”: If we don’t like it we should ignore him and carry on as we do.

This is the frame of mind I find myself in.

Online we can do to those who propose absurd opinions the one thing it is generally considered impossible to do in person – turn around and simply walk away.

I’ve never had a commenter banned for something they’ve said to or about me on other forums. Instead I take note of who they are and simply ignore them on future comments until I feel they’ve moderated their tone and are ready to re-engage. Online you have two immediate options, silence or parody.

109. RexLibris says:

NYCOIL “Taking Photos”: If he got Smid traded, to a division rival no less, he can get Schultz traded.

So Schultz to the Canucks for Markstrom?

110. Ryan says:

I’ve long been a supporter of DSF which is contrary to many here. For whatever reason, I’m just not the sort of person that gets enraged if DSF says something silly about Taylor Hall or whatever. I also find his dissenting opinion more valuable than many.

That being said, it’s not reasonable to expect all of the comment posters here to avoid arguments with him as well.

In fairness, DSF knows it bothers the community when threads spiral out of control like this one. Part of the problem is that his reputation precedes him and people here are ready to attack him for saying just about anything. In that regard, we all need to look in the mirror for those who’re contributing to threads derailing.

I’m not sure what the solution is…

DSF Tuesday’s – allowed to comment only one day a week for a trial period?

3 strikes and he’s out? 3 more threads go off the rails? This won’t work because you know there will be motivated people to push him over the ledge.

Time out? Maybe a one month free trial period of life without DSF?

I don’t know…

111. ohhell says:

Perhaps an ideal blogging tool would allow us (the followers) to self-ban those we find bothersome. If I had the power to ignore DSF, I would exercise that power immediately. I do my best to simply skip over his posts, but it seems lately that a high percentage of posts are tied to defending DSF jabs.

I like the commenter who mentioned “signal to noise” ratio. DSF brings some interesting insights, but the 80/20 rule has long been broken. I fail to understand the reasoning behind his approach to community and I find it very sad.

LT followers would do themselves a great service by simply refusing to respond to the clear invitations put forward by DSF. For lack of an automated tool, use the manual ignore approach.

112. Ben says:

Honestly – no offense to DSF (your opinions are yours and you’re entitled to them), but I read and participate in the comments section far less since he began to dominate them. I say dominate, because the sheer volume of comments either by-or-about him often occupies most of the space here.

If DSF doesn’t have the common sense or basic respect to measure his participation proportionately, or – even better – just to start his own blog where he can set the tone of discourse himself, I would think it was entirely appropriate to ban him. Honestly, at this point his posts seem no different than a barrage of “work from home” and “enlarge your penis” spam. You’re just wading through a bunch of noise to get to the astonishingly high-quality content posted by other contributors.

Long story short: I would enjoy visiting this wonderful place more often if it was less dominated by DSF. Maybe some posting constraint – like one post per hour – could be put on his account?

Or – DSF – would you mind to please participate in a more restrained manner and leave room for other topics and opinions by posting, like, WAY less?

JMHO

113. Genjutsu says:

Yeti,

Threatening someone physically is too far. His bullying is one thing but to threaten with violence?

It’s just cowardly, and completely unacceptable.

114. Ca$h-McMoney! says:

RexLibris: So Schultz to the Canucks for Markstrom?

Sbisa would be the perfect partner for Schultz.

I mean… at least when the Oilers are playing them.

115. NYCOIL "Taking Photos" says:

RexLibris: So Schultz to the Canucks for Markstrom?

Interesting. Could have had Markstrom for free. But Schultz does have that BC connection so I could see the Canucks taking a chance on him.

116. Ben says:

RexLibris: So Schultz to the Canucks for Markstrom?

YES! IMMACULATE PDO SWITCHEROO!!!

117. rich says:

Re: DSF

I think LT said it best a couple of weeks ago. he can be insightful and he can be inciteful.

From time to time he does add something – just like all of us.

You have to learn when he’s saying stuff just to get under your skin versus when he really is trying to add something to the conversation. When he does the latter, it’s good – and we can all use a contrary opinion from time to time.

Wouldn’t want to see him banned for that reason. Just learn to move past the nonsense folks. LT keeps a great site that’s a forum for great opinions.

118. Ca$h-McMoney! says:

Unfortunately the community doesn’t have a unified voice, so whatever you do someone will bitch.

DSF is annoying, but sometimes bang on. Sometimes he’s making a valuable if contrarian point, sometimes he’s arguing that Granlund is better than Hall. If it was the former far more than the latter I’d feel he was a valuable member of the community. It’s not, so I don’t.

Ban him or don’t. It’s your blog, and there is no way for you to handle this without upsetting someone. I’ll keep coming by either way, I just won’t enjoy it as much if he gets out of hand.

Pouzar: It’s your site. And it isn’t a democracy. But when one of the pillars of your site says he finds himself “posting quite a bit less” I know what I would do.

If you have to ask the question…….

120. NYCOIL "Taking Photos" says:

Ryan,

I think you’re spot on here. Some of us do overreact and escalate anything DSF ever says, even if it’s a well-thought out, valid point, simply because he is Darth Vader basically to the oilogosphere.

Maybe the solution is for LT and DSF to work out a new handle for him with a few guidelines in place about how to post. That way a few people may figure it out, but we should also put in a rule to never try to guess and “out” who DSF is. The content will thus stand on its own merits, rather than be derailed simply because of who the poster is.

121. Halfwise says:

This blog would benefit from DSF using self-restraint. A limit of 3 posts per thread or some such, and progressively longer bans if he can’t control himself.

I don’t mind any of the posters here in moderation, but everyone has the potential to take his or her position too seriously and feel compelled to have the last word. Diminishing returns follow immediately.

122. Ben says:

Lowetide: or we live with the current system and lose good people over frustration

You always need to go with with the Best Poster Available.

123. frjohnk says:

This morning, I would bet that DSF is smiling and just said “mission accomplished”

124. NYCOIL "Taking Photos" says:

frjohnk:

I honestly don’t think that’s what he is trying to accomplish. Anyway, I’m hitting the sack. Have a good day, everyone.

125. Genjutsu says:

Ben: You always need to go with with the Best Poster Available.

We are all usually in agreement that BPA is the way to go.

I hate the idea of banning anyone but I think Spock said it best:

“The needs of the many out weigh the needs of the few, or the one.”

126. Snowman says:

I personally don’t find DSF that offensive. I strongly dislike when threads go cockeyed like yesterday because i come here for the education and the community and last night I got little of both. I don’t necessarily think a ban is the proper thing to do.

I think the cow-forest-bear thing is probably what I would do if it was me. Police ourselves. Don’t want DSF to hijack the thread. Don’t respond to him. He only makes as many posts as he does because he gets 40 replies to every comment.

Reply to the good ones, ignore the ridiculous ones. Know when to call it a night.

That being said, the inciteful vs insightful is a little bit out of wack.

127. theres oil in virginia says:

Please don’t ban anyone. It’s a fun joke, but not a fun reality. I understand people’s frustration, but that’s a part of life that we all have to deal with. He’s not the only one who posts things here that can be frustrating.

I wouldn’t miss him if he were gone, but that’s not really the point. If you ban him, please just make this a pay site and let people subscribe. As it is, it’s an open community, and you can’t keep it that way by banning people.

theres oil in virginia:

Please don’t ban anyone.It’s a fun joke, but not a fun reality.I understand people’s frustration, but that’s a part of life that we all have to deal with.He’s not the only one who posts things here that can be frustrating.

I wouldn’t miss him if he were gone, but that’s not really the point.If you ban him, please just make this a pay site and let people subscribe.As it is, it’s an open community, and you can’t keep it that way by banning people.

That’s exactly how I feel. Not a word out of place and thanks for posting this. VERY much appreciated.

129. Pouzar says:

Lowetide: And that’s fine. But I will tell you that the last time I banned him there were several posters who privately came to me on his behalf, so it isn’t a clear cut ‘we hate this guy’ kind of deal. The idea of this blog is that it should be a welcoming place. I don’t like reading that valued members of this community don’t post here as often as they did, but I also understand that this blog doesn’t own their time. I think it has to be one or the other: I ban him, no one emails me on his behalf, or we live with the current system and lose good people over frustration. I don’t have an answer for this and Al Gore isn’t returning my calls.

You won’t be getting any emails from me. And DSF’s immediate family doesn’t count.

130. RexLibris says:

theres oil in virginia:

Seconded with emphasis.

This mirrors my own workplace very closely and the requirements for being banned are behaviour that threatens the integrity of the space, intoxication, violence, lewd behaviour and so on.

Someone being a stubborn git, and there are many of us who qualify, isn’t grounds for it.

To those who post less, I would ask them to instead contribute an alternative subject for discussion or engage another commenter on a point made. It may seem kind of banal or contrived but we get to then talk to people we might not otherwise. And for those of us who have an unhealthy addiction to this blog, we are all happier with you than without as you help make this community (here and represented on LT’s blogroll) a much better place.

131. Mike Wazowski says:

theres oil in virginia,

Not sure that I completely agree. Just like in life, there is a balance of freedom and security. This blog is a discussion of all things Oilers by their fans and interested persons.

DSF is clearly not an Oiler fan nor does he appear to be an interested person in the form of someone honestly looking for thoughtful discussion on the Oilers. A large number of DSFs posts are just his attempt to “poke the bear” and look for a response. They usually begin with … “Look how awesome player X is, who is not an Oiler, based on stats taken over a 12 min shift. This clearly means Oiler player Y’s career is a failure.”

I don’t post often but I would have no problem with him being banned as it gets tiring scrolling the comments section for 10 mins to find info that doesn’t relate to his attempts to incite a virtual riot.

132. elgruntus says:

I think banning DSF would only prove his point. that we are thin skinned and can’t handle his “truth”. Like it or not, he fills the “devil’s advocate” position which is needed to quell the echo chamber.

Might it be better to enforce a “stick to the topic” policy …. for all of us?

That being said, if DSF is banned, does LT also ban his own contrarian voice in the RE posts?

Love this site, warts and all!

133. Rip Fan Winkle "OilOnslaught" says:

Banishing people should be a last resort. We can each find it in us to be the bigger people. I would add to those who have tired of the antics, have patience, because this is going to look very different soon enough.

The shoe is going to be on the other foot. I am interested to see what happens when the Oilers take off into becoming a juggernaut and the Flames and Canucks are once again subjugated to total Oiler dominance, 80’s style.

Even if Peachy can’t or doesn’t do enough the Oilers are still going to be a nightmare to play for most team.

134. Gally says:

I’ll be contrary and stick up for DSF too. This thread did get way out of hand, but imo, that was more Elbow going out of his way to add nothing but poking him with a sharp stick over and over while blasting, “Gretzky said the best player in 30 years, if we ignore Lemieux and Jagr and Crosby, is coming to the Oilers and what do you think about that, huh, what do you think about that, WHAT DO YOU THINK ABOUT THAT, ALSO YOUR CANUCKS REALLY SUCK and the Sedins, despite being as productive as ever, are terrible and this is a horrible terrible, nonsense thought but if I keep saying it, it might come true” over the loudspeaker.

DSF has certainly said inflammatory things, but as far as I’ve seen, he’s never gone out of his way and made things personal. And for what it’s worth, tossing a softball down the middle aside, his opinions are relatively informed, and debates are awful if nobody disagrees.

I’d much rather have DSF here, than my Oilers fan friends, who as recently as March, we’re all too kind to inform me that Dellow is a stupid ignorant asshole, Corsi is stupid, the Oilers just needed more grit the last nine years, Petry is a useless bag of shit that they’re so glad we got rid of, and Lowe did a pretty good job; it’s a tough game after all and somebody has to lose.

135. JAG-041 says:

Look, DSF likes to stir the pot.
    Whatever, he has every right, the Oilers have had a history of making terrible decisions for 10 years now. He’s right, they’re awful, and they have huge issues. I love the Oilers and I want to see them do well, but I think we do need to temper our expectations.
    DSF is a sobering voice and just because you don’t like the idea of someone else coming in and saying contrary things while promoting other teams’ ability to win doesn’t mean they should be shut out.
    As fans it is not our fault our team is terrible and we can’t just give up on them because they are terrible. So don’t take it so personally.
    Graceful in defeat friends. Better times are ahead, they cannot possibly get worse.

136. rickithebear says:

thejonrmcleod:

BP Jr GM
    Said giordano extension priority this summer!

137. AsiaOil says:

DSF = boring

I don’t even read his nonsense and skip right by to someone more interesting.

It’s your blog LT – and you can keep him – just like you can let your neighbor’s dog keep crapping on your lawn. Same effect with DSF – makes the blog lawn smelly and unsightly – even if it does provide the minor benefit of fertilizing the soil.