RE 14-15 BRANDON DAVIDSON: DREAMS

Finding out Brandon Davidson’s back story means you’re a fan, it’s impossible to resist. The trick is to set history aside and ask this question: Is Brandon Davidson an NHL player?

RE 14-15: 2GP, 0-0-0

ACTUAL 14-15: 12GP, 1-0-1

BRANDON DAVIDSON BOXCARSbrandon davidson boxcars

BRANDON DAVIDSON FANCY NUMBERSbrandon davidson fancy

1. How many of these are you going to do? Many. There were a lot of players this year.
  2. Yeah, but at some point it gets a little much. I’m here, you’re here, what’s the problem?
  3. Fine. What do the numbers tell us? VERY small sample size, he’s a tweener and I would guess someone in the management group likes him a lot more than some other guys who are similar. There’s not much to separate a bunch of the AHL guys, Davidson has a little more experience and that probably helps explain the dozen games.
  4. Davidson is better than Martin Marincin. Who told you that?
  5. David Staples. You mean this? Well, that isn’t what he said, and I’d encourage you always to keep in mind (as David said in his piece) that conclusions drawn via small sample size are highly dangerous. Davidson could have a more productive NHL career, but Marincin has played more in the NHL than Davidson and that’s a reasonable way to keep score.
  6. Davidson is better than Marincin. I don’t think that’s a reasonable conclusion at this time, with due respect to David and his work. I think Marincin is and will be a better NHL defenseman moving forward, doesn’t mean it will happen but that’s the bet from here, today. I will admit that the Oilers may not feel that way, but we have 85 NHL games of Marincin now and the results seem to be giving us a promising answer.
  7. The Edmonton Oilers like Brandon Davidson better than Marincin. Probably true, but based on the past, that’s not an endorsement of Davidson as an NHL prospect. The Oilers have been wrong a lot over recent years in this area.
  8. Marincin was lazy in a playoff game, iced the puck and the Barons lost. That’s a bad play, he doesn’t want it. I think it’s very dangerous to take one play and frame it as anything other than a moment in time. Brandon Davidson may end up having a longer NHL career than Martin Marincin, but an icing play doesn’t tilt the balance in any way.
  9. Marincin has no sense of the game. Much too soft. I think it’s fair to suggest Marincin’s ability to retrieve pucks and recover real estate are issues, but he brings other things (wingspan, etc) to the trade that also have value. No one is saying Marincin is a complete defenseman, that’s simply not true. He has a better tool kit than Davidson, doesn’t mean he’ll have a longer career.
  10. Total denial. So sad. Anyway, let’s get back to Davidson.
  11. What do you like about Davidson? At the NHL level, he displayed a nice range of skills. He’s a good skater, has an aggressive nature and battled hard to win the puck along the wall. Without the puck, Davidson does a lot of things well. He has NHL size—6.02, 214—although well short of being a giant.
  12. Making him a solid NHL option. If the Oilers had fewer guys to fill the 5-6-7 role on defense, I’d agree. As it is, the role he would play is more likely to be filled by Andrew Ference, Niki Nikitin or Keith Aulie. It all depends on the new coach.
  13. Where do you rank him on the depth chart currently. He is an RFA. I would have Davidson (if he was signed) behind Klefbom, Fayne, Nikitin, Ference, with Darnell Nurse likely ahead by opening night. If you add Justin Schultz and Marincin, Davidson may not make the team even if the Oilers don’t add anyone.
  14. So, No. 8 overall. I’d say that’s fair. My list would be Klefbom, Fayne, Marincin, Nikitin, Ference, Schultz, Nurse, Davidson, Oesterle, Aulie, Hunt, Musil, Simpson, Laleggia, Betker. 15 blue, he’s in the middle.
  15. How do you see this going? Depends completely on the coach and GM.
  16. Tell me how you see this going? The Oilers are going to acquire Brent Seabrook this summer and sign Andrej Sekera. They’re going to have Darnell Nurse on the roster this fall. All of the tweeners are heading down to the AHL and the top 7D in Edmonton will be Seabrook, Sekera, Klefbom, Nurse, Fayne, Schultz and Ference.
  17. What about Nikitin? What ABOUT Nikitin?
  18. Where is he going? Trade or buy out for Nikitin. I can’t see any reasonable argument for him to return and if they had another option I’d say the same thing about Schultz. I like Chiarelli but suspect he’ll sign Schultz to a bridge deal, later regretting it.
  19. Huh. That’s a lot of new next fall. It’ll continue, in my opinion, I think we’ll see more change from Chiarelli during the year.
  20. Why this song? It’s about reaching for something you may never reach, but understanding, at least on some level, the journey is the thing. This isn’t about Brandon Davidson playing 500 NHL games, it’s about him trying to make it as an NHL player. Godspeed, Brandon Davidson. Fate gave you a wonky organization to swim in but God love you it’s never kept you down. Keep on rockin’, young man.

67 Responses to "RE 14-15 BRANDON DAVIDSON: DREAMS"

1. Ducey says:

the top 6D in Edmonton will be Seabrook, Sekera, Klefbom, Nurse, Fayne, Schultz and Ference.

Man, you defend Marincin and then trade him.

Anyway, that ($5.8 Seabrook, $5 million Sekera, $3.5 Schultz, $1.5 or so Nurse) plus a goalie ($4 million) , McDavid (~$2 million) and a NN buyout ($1.5 M) doesn’t fit under the $16 million remaining on the Cap so well.

Ducey:

Man, you defend Marincin and then trade him.

Anyway, that ($5.8 Seabrook, $5 million Sekera, $3.5 Schultz, $1.5 or so Nurse) plus a goalie ($4 million) , McDavid (~$2 million)and a NN buyout ($1.5 M) doesn’t fit under the $16 million remaining on the Cap so well.

I have no doubt Marincin is gone. UNLESS Chiarelli hired MacT to ignore him. As for the cap, it’s going to be a moving target. I suspect the GM is going to be active during the 2015-16 season, put it that way.

3. raventalon40 says:

Ducey:

Man, you defend Marincin and then trade him.

May LIKE Marincin but the reasonable expectation is that he has value and might get traded.

4. Yak2 says:

How about these trades?

To EDM:
    Ryan O’Reilly

To COL:
    Justin Schultz
    Marincin or Gernat or Musil
    2016 1st round pick
    2017 2nd round pick

Colorado is looking for D, we get a 2-way dynamo to play in our top-9, who can also play as a C.

Hall – RNH – Eberle
    O’Reilly / McDavid – McDavid / O’Reilly – Yakupov
    Pouliot – Lander – Pitlick
    Hendricks – Gordon – Klinkhammer

Trade Purcell for another defender, trade Gazdic, let go of Fraser.

To EDM:
    Brent Seabrook

To CHI:
    Marincin or Gernat and Musil
    Khaira
    Conditional 1st round pick (On Seabrook signing an extension)

Sekera – Seabrook
    Klefbom – Fayne
    Ference – (D from Purcell Trade)

Niemi
    Scrivens

Lines and pairings
    R.Hamilton-Williams-Chase
    Winquist-Khaira-Miller
    K.Jones-C.Jones-Ford
    C.Hamilton-Stretch-Winchester
    Davidson-Hunt
    Simpson-Nurse
    Marincin-Oesterle

6. thejonrmcleod says:

More ammunition for Godot…

This today from Lander’s agent:

“Yea. He’s done well. Lets put it this way, if Eakins still been the coach – Anton has probably been signed in Europe.”

7. NYCOIL "Taking Photos" says:

thejonrmcleod,

I harped on at length early in the Nelson tenure that I didn’t care about wins if he could fix three players: Lander, Yak and Schultz.

Well, to paraphrase Jack Nicholson, we have two out of three working, and that ain’t bad.

8. NYCOIL "Taking Photos" says:

Lines and pairings
    R.Hamilton-Williams-Chase
    Winquist-Khaira-Miller
    K.Jones-C.Jones-Ford
    C.Hamilton-Stretch-Winchester
    Davidson-Hunt
    Simpson-Nurse
    Marincin-Oesterle

Is Musil ever going to make it, LT? I know there’s still years ahead, and going into his draft year he was rated in the teens and slid due to lack of offense and poor skating, so you could argue it was somewhat reasonable to pick him (although I was upset and in the Saad camp at the time). from what we hear, Tambo MAY have instructed MBS to take a D. But I hope we never spend picks on stay at home D types when there’s so much skill left on the board again

9. LadiesloveSmid says:

“Trade or buy out for Nikitin. I can’t see any reasonable argument for him to return and if they had another option I’d say the same thing about Schultz.”

I see more value in Nikitin than in Ference. Plus only 1 year left in that deal. The possession numbers weren’t too terrible (49.6% CF with Fayne against presumably top competition). Has a shot and can distribute a bit on the PP. Ference on the other hand is useless in about every facet of the game outside of “leadership” IMO. Nikitin can hold the 3LD place for a season before Nurse takes it on full time next year. Maybe they 40/40 split it this year.

Klefbom-(New Pickup)
    Marincin-Schultz
    Nikitin/Nurse-Fayne
    Davidson

That new pickup has got to be something special though. Seabrook level. Ideally Jultz is gone for an upgrade, but that seems unrealistic. Dump Ference on a cap floor team/someone looking for some “leadership” or buy him out

10. Bag of Pucks says:

thejonrmcleod:
    More ammunition for Godot…

This today from Lander’s agent:

If the Flyers hire Eakins after his debacle in Edmonton, it may be the craziest thing that org has done. And this is an org that antagonized the Lindros family, traded for Lecavalier’s contract, and wore Cooperalls for two seasons.

NYCOIL “Taking Photos”: Is Musil ever going to make it, LT? I know there’s still years ahead, and going into his draft year he was rated in the teens and slid due to lack of offense and poor skating, so you could argue it was somewhat reasonable to pick him (although I was upset and in the Saad camp at the time).from what we hear, Tambo MAY have instructed MBS to take a D. But I hope we never spend picks on stay at home D types when there’s so much skill left on the board again

The problem for Musil, or really for the Oilers, is that those player types are readily available for just money. So, even if he makes it, the role is as utility infielder.

12. supernova says:

No Gernat in your top 15.

I see you have flushed him like me.

———

How can you not cheer for Davidson.

If his story doesn’t strike your heart you don’t have one.

13. Mr DeBakey says:

thejonrmcleod: More ammunition for Godot…

He don’t need no more ammo.
    He got plenty.
    But I’m still Waiting for His response

Remember when Belov said something about playing for “that coach” after re-signing in the KHL.
    Remember Jim Matty chiding him for biting the NHL hand that had fed him?
    Gawd, what grate times.

14. leadfarmer says:

thejonrmcleod,

I don’t understand why MacT is being kept around. Thought it was a bad hire from day one. How can Chia trust any advice from MacT, after seeing him commit blunder after blunder, it’s like asking for trade advice from Mike Milbury.

15. Tire Fire says:

thejonrmcleod:
    More ammunition for Godot…

This today from Lander’s agent:

Pretty funny. I’m sure we’ll hear more stories over the next couple of years too, a losing team makes for a lot of unhappy bedfellows.

I’ve always cheered for Lander and thought he played well enough in the AHL to get a solid shot. However, I thought he played very poorly in TC and was quite happy with the decision to let him develop his skills and confidence in the AHL for a while longer. You know, the much-vaunted Detroit approach.

16. RexLibris says:

I have concerns about acquiring Seabrook this summer.

Not that he isn’t a good defenseman and the Oilers couldn’t use him, but rather that I think there may be a disconnect between what he is and what he is perceived to be.

Seabrook and Keith got highly favourable ZS the last four years and never played any higher QualComp than was given to Ference or Marincin.

Adding him is adding a slightly better, and more expensive, Mark Fayne.

Don’t get me wrong, the defense needs more good players, but I suspect that the expectation is that he’ll come in and be a 1st pairing defender of Stanley Cup caliber when the evidence suggests he is actually closer to a 2nd pairing D of Stanley Cup caliber.

Adding Seabrook for picks or prospects is doubling down on the mistake made when they let Petry go. It’d be the ghost of MacTavish’s exceedingly poor decision coming back to haunt the team for the future.

Consider: Seabrook is a UFA in one year’s time. So the Oilers either re-sign him for term and money when the evidence suggests he’s about to decline from an already inflated point, or they trade him at the deadline, which a team expected to push for the playoffs likely cannot afford to do.

It isn’t a good idea for this team.

Sekera makes sense. Franson makes sense. Seabrook does not unless Bowman takes a 2016 2nd round pick and a prospect like Musil/Gernat, or Marincin straight across. But he won’t because there are other GMs out there who will offer more because it better aligns with their team’s needs and situation, or they are convinced that Seabrook is a 1st pairing defender who has five years of high-level hockey left in him.

I hope Chiarelli is not that GM.

17. RexLibris says:

leadfarmer:
    thejonrmcleod,

I don’t understand why MacT is being kept around.Thought it was a bad hire from day one.How can Chia trust any advice from MacT, after seeing him commit blunder after blunder, it’s like asking for trade advice from Mike Milbury.

MacTavish scouted well enough to turn the drafting around in 2013 from the mediocre (at best) state it was in under Tambellini from 2009 to 2012.

He made the call on Draisaitl and Nurse, and made the trade of Zykov and Carrier for Yakimov, Platzer, Slepyshev, Houck and Muir.

MacTavish can do some things well. Other things he does very, very poorly. The trick to good management is to occupy the majority of his time with the things he does well.

If you’re going to hire a drywaller don’t task him with pipefitting.

18. Hammers says:

I don’t understand why you would try to put Marincin and Davidson as adversaries or competitors as like all players they both have problems and both have something to offer . What do you gain as I’m not sure . Davidson has a story , yes but if your a pragmatic G.M. You only care what can he do for me both today , next year, and the future . Same goes for every player signed . Do they have value as a player or a trade piece . I’m not trying to be an ass but every player signed has to give value to your team.

19. Woogie63 says:

RexLibris,

I have the same concern around Seabrook. Every team in the league is licking their chops to fleece these cap straped team. Bowman is going to get much more in return than is being suggested here.

20. square_wheels says:

So I had a convo with a colleague today who also happens to share the same last name as our first line RW. We usually talk about Jordan’s game and I purposely try not to come off as the obsessive fan, so steer clear of asking for dirt. When we ran into each other I merely stated how he will look good on Connor’s right , his response was a bit unexpected….” If he’s still an Oiler”.

I said pardon.

Apparently the Boston rumour, according to a family member, has or had some weight. What’s not clear was if Chia switching teams immediately ends that talk, because the offer started with Lucic. While I can appreciate his flaws, and see his value, the player doesn’t fit as he doesn’t play the right side. Our conclusion was Boston would have to seriously sweeten any deal for Eberle but a 1RW for a 2LW better include more pieces or a very near ready addition.

I’ve always seen Krug well, can he be a 3/4 and not drown?

21. gr8one says:

RexLibris:
    I have concerns about acquiring Seabrook this summer.

Adding him is adding a slightly better, and more expensive, Mark Fayne.

It isn’t a good idea for this team.

I hope Chiarelli is not that GM.

Not a letter out of place.

Not one.

22. square_wheels says:

RexLibris,

Sekera’s contract really a 5M x 4/5 years ? Love the player, could stomach the contract but if we need 2 at or above this level then we must dump Schultz iffy demands anything north of 4 and anything longer than 2 yrs.

Hammers:
    I don’t understand why you would try to put Marincin andDavidson as adversaries or competitors as like all players they both have problems and both have something to offer . What do you gain as I’m not sure . Davidson has a story , yes but if your a pragmatic G.M. You only care what can he do for me both today , next year, and the future . Same goes for every player signed . Do they have value as a player or a trade piece .I’m not trying to be an ass but every player signed has to give value to your team.

They are absolutely in competition. One or both will be on the waiver wire this fall, or traded this summer. I don’t see any chance at all they’ll both make the team.

24. Cahoon says:

Are the Barons playing again tonight? If so, updates? This blog is my way of checking in on their progress.

25. Dashingsilverfox says:

Cahoon:

Barons losing 0-2 half way through the 3rd period.

26. rich says:

RexLibris,

Rex – good comment, but there are 3 words out of place. “Franson makes sense”.

He does not.

He does not like the physical game and will be absolutely skewered by the fan base.

Actually, that was a little soft. He will be crucified by the fan base.

He was a healthy scratch several times in the last few weeks of the season in NAS, a healthy scratch in G1 against Chicago and his minutes (compared to other NAS D) in that series were significantly less than the others after he played.

Franson is 5/6 d-man on a team stacked w/5-6 d-men.

No thank you.

The rest of your post IS bang on.

Cahoon:

Down 2-0 mid-third period it doesn’t look good.

Hunt scores, very late, now 2-1. Assists to Davidson and Khaira

29. Ca$h-McMoney! says:

Khaira is putting a nice little run together.

30. Ryan says:

Hunt scores, very late, now 2-1. Assists to Davidson and Khaira

What is Neal Livingston going to do with his fine blog next season?

31. HiddenDarts says:

RexLibris,

Exactly points out why it would be positively insane to trade for Seabrook. Great stuff!

As to the OKC game tonight, Hunt scored the goal, but was -3. That’s minus three, people. And I saw the goals. He earned it.

Nurse, on the other hand, was gold. I suspect he won’t spend much time, if any, in Bakersfield next year.

32. Dashingsilverfox says:

Ryan: What is Neal Livingston going to do with his fine blog next season?

I’d follow.

33. RexLibris says:

Dashingsilverfox: He should start a blog that features well endowed Oklahoma State co-eds in tight red T-Shirts.

I’d follow.

I think LT has intellectual property rights on that.

34. RexLibris says:

If Nurse has a meteoric start in the AHL next season I’m calling dibs on the nickname “Butcher of Bakersfield”.

You don’t often get a chance (nor really would you want to) for a Running Man reference, so you have to take them when they happen.

35. RexLibris says:

rich:
    RexLibris,

Rex – good comment, but there are 3 words out of place.“Franson makes sense”.

He does not.

Actually, that was a little soft.He will be crucified by the fan base.

Franson is 5/6 d-man on a team stacked w/5-6 d-men.

No thank you.

The rest of your post IS bang on.

I think Franson makes sense if he replaces Schultz.

Should’ve elaborated.

36. Dashingsilverfox says:

RexLibris: I think Franson makes sense if he replaces Schultz.

Should’ve elaborated.

That means you have to walk away from Schultz.

37. square_wheels says:

RexLibris,

What will be very interesting is how far apart the green and Franson contracts will be. Both are buried behind elite D so could both or one become this years Stralman ?

Has anyone diagnosed why Green has plummeted in recent years ? Coaching, injury or both?? To sign Niskanen and not extending him is telling, maybe I’m growing cold on him now that I look a bit closer.

38. RexLibris says:

And we complain about the NHL’s suspension system.

39. square_wheels says:

square_wheels,

Dashingsilverfox,

Don’t think you would have to, someone else will see him good and offer us an awkward contract ala Matt Hendricks. I’d take another Hendricks any day.

40. square_wheels says:

square_wheels:
    RexLibris,

And not comparing either of the to Stralman in terms of style, just finding the right system/coach that gives them the correct partner and ZS to maximize them.

square_wheels:
    RexLibris,

Lots of miles on Green. Played big big minutes (25 a night) at the end of last decade, down to 19 now and easier minutes too. I get the Seabrook worry, but have suspected for some time he’s the target and Matty mentioned him tonight.

Chiarelli is a creative guy, maybe he gets someone out of St. Louis.

42. square_wheels says:

Jaybo has a lot of miles, not sure anyone has played as much in the last decade.

43. stevezie says:

I was cheering against St Louis just because they look primed to panic and do something dumb. How dumb? I am trying not to go into fan mode and dream.

I still prefer UFAs as Plan A, but as Bonny Rae said, we can’t make them sign here. Let’s kick every tire that rolls by.

44. stevezie says:

square_wheels,

Well he did typically got the spring off.

thejonrmcleod:
    More ammunition for Godot…

This today from Lander’s agent:

Wait!!!

I thought only Stauffer talked about how the players didn’t like him and thought the whole Chop Wood/Carry Water – pseudo military thing was terrible and alienated the players?

You mean its true??

😀

46. square_wheels says:

stevezie,

Ha, that’s right he sure did. Nice player though, mastered the Chris pronger cross check which made me hate him when he was a Flame. I go back to Hjarlmarson in Chi if I’m trading.

47. rickithebear says:

square_wheels:
    RexLibris,

when a d is 2.31 EVGA/60
    you need the forwards to average 2.32 EVGF/60 to break even.
    Petry 2.82

Fraser 1.50
    Klinkhammer 1.34
    Hendricks 1.26
    Gordon 1.21

48. LadiesloveSmid says:

@RyanatLFPress:

Erie’s Dylan Strome (1 assist in 3 #OHL final games): “People keep telling me I’m hurt and I guess they’re doctors. I feel fine.”

I think this was a notion around here as well. 27P difference between McJesus and Strome and there’s no injury. I can’t believe we almost had to settle for Strome.

WOOOOOO!!!! MCDAVID!!!

49. LadiesloveSmid says:

rickithebear: when a d is 2.31 EVGA/60
    you need the forwards to average 2.32 EVGF/60 to break even.
    Petry 2.82

Gordon 1.21

Aulie-Bellemore
    Fistric-Lovejoy

high end top 4?

50. Stelio Kontos (Formerly Zangetsu-Formerly Thinker) says:

LadiesloveSmid,

If he is ok, then I have a really low opinion of him. Draisaitl looked better (he’s garbage dontyaknow). Honestly though, he doesn’t seem like an impact player. If he is healthy, I would honestly hesitate to take him in the top 5. Course he isn’t going to say he has an injury.

51. Tire Fire says:

Woodguy,

Maybe it’s just me, but I don’t get how Lenin’s agent complaining about him not getting called up by Eakins is related to supposed alienation by authoritarian style talking points….

52. Gordies Elbow says:

Woodguy: Wait!!!

You mean its true??

By far, best part of the video where the players tour the build of the new facility, is the point where the question of where the ping-pong table will reside, is discussed.

Well, at least it led to McDavid….

RexLibris: I think Franson makes sense if he replaces Schultz.

Should’ve elaborated.

So Franson at 5 x $5.5 million, which was what he is asking for a 3rd pairing plus PP guy is a value for money replacement for Justin Schultz at 1 year x $3.7 million for the same role?

Over $5 million with duration for a 3rd pairing D? That is supposed to help the Oilers.

Petry > Fayne > Franson.

Cody Franson is going to destroy some franchise. Let it NOT be the Oilers.

Jeff Petry is better in every possible way than Cody Franson. Give him the 5 x $5.5.

Tire Fire:
    Woodguy,

Your right.

Its just a hobby horse of mine.

55. Hockeyman 99 says:

Seabrook would be a mistake IMHO. He’s already not the quickest and getting older.

Hockeyman 99:

Matty has the Oilers interested:

It’s no secret the Oilers are eyeing the Chicago Blackhawks’ Brent Seabrook, 30, because he has another year on his contract at $5 million before he becomes an unrestricted free agent, and the ’Hawks are once again in a major cap squeeze for next year and beyond.

Now, that might be MacT Oilers and not Chiarelli Oilers.

57. RexLibris says:

Lowetide: Matty has the Oilers interested:

Now, that might be MacT Oilers and not Chiarelli Oilers.

I think its MacTavish Oilers. Matheson might be working off old intel.

I can’t recall the exact topic, but it was the EJ either yesterday or the day before where Matheson made an offhand comment about the lack of information coming out right now.

Chiarelli has shut down Radio Free Oilers and Matheson has to work off of their last known position.

58. Stelio Kontos (Formerly Zangetsu-Formerly Thinker) says:

Honestly, I think Matty has been behind for quite awhile now. He was a strong indicator for a number of years, but he just can’t keep up anymore. Probably has to do with the new era of connectedness from TSN and others. I don’t read Matty anymore. BTW we should target Drew Stafford.

59. thejonrmcleod says:

Tire Fire:
    Woodguy,

The agent also didn’t say that the problem was the lack of a call-up for Lander.

60. Surly says:

Lowetide: Matty has the Oilers interested:

Now, that might be MacT Oilers and not Chiarelli Oilers.

From the article:

Chiarelli, who has never had trouble with small defencemen (see Torey Krug and Brad Marchand in Boston.)

Did not realize Marchand played D. Beyond Krug, these are the heights of the current D on the BOS roster (6’1, 6’9, 6’5, 6’5, 6’2, 6’1)

Matty needs to retire.

61. Yeti says:

RexLibris: I think LT has intellectual property rights on that.

It shows up so frequently, I always presumed that was Mrs. Lowetide.

62. Surly says:

Elliotte Friedman ‏@FriedgeHNIC 5m5 minutes ago
    Marc Bergevin says Jeff Petry is a “priority” — calls him a good fit and wants to try to keep him. Says Petry wants to stay, too.

Just like Lowetide always tells us. Get good players, keep good players.

63. Ben says:

Petry has really added some O here in Montreal. He’s now called “Jeff Poetry”. Or, scratch that – “Geoff Poetry”.

64. RexLibris says:

Surly: From the article:

Did not realize Marchand played D.Beyond Krug, these are the heights of the current D on the BOS roster (6’1, 6’9, 6’5, 6’5, 6’2, 6’1)

Matty needs to retire.

I go back to the draft coverage in 2013 when Matheson said the 3rd overall pick was owned by the Marlins.

It was a pretty obvious mistake and one that many of us might make in casual conversation when our thoughts are filled with other things, but a good editor catches that and it is almost as thought they are letting him work without a net because of his reputation (much of it deserved).

As I’ve said before, Matheson is good at a kind of reporting that doesn’t go over as well with the younger audience. He’s a great storyteller but more of the content today demands other skills with a difference focus.

I’d take Matheson over Haggerty or Simmons every day of the week, but as you’ve said, you have to remember the source and adjust expectations accordingly.

65. RexLibris says:

Surly:
    Elliotte Friedman ‏@FriedgeHNIC5m5 minutes ago

Just like Lowetide always tells us.Get good players, keep good players.

*proceeds to utter a string of expletives that would make a Welsh miner blush*