Peter Chiarelli’s job as Edmonton’s GM is to build a winning team. A big part of that will involve finding and keeping good players, and making sure they have reasonable contracts that offer value for the team. I’m currently writing an item for ON (should be up tonight) that involves the most likely players heading out of town, and had a helluva time with Nail Yakupov.
Yakupov just signed a value deal. $2.5M times two, that should offer this team good value for the next two years. I just wrote about Nail (here) so don’t want to go over old material, but thought it might be an idea to do a re-set and get your opinion. First, let’s agree that Peter Chiarelli’s arrival changes everything and that Yak could indeed be a player GM’s ask after during trade negotiations this summer.
How did the Oilers feel about Yakupov before Chiarelli? Well, they signed him to a good deal right after the season.
- MacT: “No denying Yak has turned the corner. Our growth is going to be internal growth and incremental growth, and Yakupov is part of that. I don’t think it’s good strategy to trade developing players. Yak has been rewarded with a 2-year contract.” Source
The part about internal and incremental may have changed, but lordy do I agree about it being a bad idea to trade developing players. If the Oilers trade the Russian and another team hits jackpot, that’s a big damn deal. Young Nail’s development years, the tough years, were spent here as he learned the game at the NHL level. The progress MacT spoke about above came in 2015.
- October-December : 0.80 5×5/60; 2.4 5×4/60
- January-April 2015: 1.53 5×5/60; 5.38 5×4/60.
Sending him away now? Man that would hurt. However, is he the hill you die on? Let’s put it this way: WHERE do you draw the line in terms of Chiarelli trade chips this summer:
- No. 1 overall pick in 2015
- Taylor Hall
- Ryan Nugent-Hopkins
- Jordan Eberle
- Oscar Klefbom
- Darnell Nurse
- Leon Draisaitl
- Benoit Pouliot
- Nail Yakupov
- No. 16 overall selection in 2015
- First-round pick in 2016
- Mark Fayne
- Anton Lander
- Second-round pick in 2016
- Justin Schultz
- Boyd Gordon
- Matt Hendricks
- Martin Marincin
- No. 33 overall selection in 2015
Your mileage may vary, but here’s the question: Is Nail on the ‘insider’ or ‘outsider’ list? It’s a tough damn choice.