RE 14-15 IIRO PAKARINEN: DESDEMONA

Iiro Pakarinen cut through the Oilers’ prospect hopefuls like a knife through butter. Aggressive, physical, talented, he rose quickly (quickly!) through the organization, making it all the way to the NHL before we knew how to pronounce his name.

RE 14-15: 7GP, 0-1-1

ACTUAL 14-15: 17GP, 1-2-3

IIRO PAKARINEN BOXCARSPAKARINEN BOXCARS

IIRO PAKARINEN, FANCY NUMBERSpakarinen fancy

1. You liked him from the start. I liked that his scouting report (size, skill) and the fact he was pretty young and had a chance to help the team.
  2. Was he a better bet than the usual free-agent Euro’s? Yes, I think so, mostly due to age. Pakarinen was 23 and like an extra 2011 draft pick coming in to help. I think most fans like that kind of bet.
  3. He was an impact player in the AHL. Oh yeah, absolutely ripped it up in the minors and became a big story early in the season. In his first six AHL games, he went 5-3-8 and got everyone’s attention.
  4. And a recall to the NHL. Yes. Scored a goal too. “I don’t even remember. I was a little bit shocked. It was so fast of a situation. I jumped on the ice and the rebound was there and I tried to shoot as hard as I can.” Source
  5. Did he do enough to make you forget Lennart Petrell? Nothing will allow me to forget Lennart Petrell.
  6. Man, he was something. It was a ginger time.
  7. What are we dealing with here? A sturdy winger (6.01, 205) who can play a rugged game. Has enough skill to play with good forwards but not so much skill that he’d be a waste as a checker. A game rooster. Speed, toughness and attention span don’t seem to be an issue.
  8. But injury might. He suffered a knee sprain and missed the last 19 games of the season but I don’t think we’re dealing with an injury prone player in Pakarinen.
  9. What could derail this season’s progress? The obvious one is a new coach, but that cuts both ways. He might impress McLellan on tape this summer or live in the fall.
  10. Oilers coaches don’t watch tape in the summer. Well, I’m not sure what Todd McLellan will do to ready himself but he’ll be familiar with Pakarinen’s skill set by the fall.
  11. What job will he be applying for? Depth winger, it could be anywhere from 3L to 14F.
  12. Who does he have to beat? The roster is going to have a different look in the fall and their are rfa/ufa issues. However, among signed players Pakrinen will be in competition with Leon Draisaitl/Connor McDavid, Anton Slepyshev, Ryan Hamilton and Greg Chase. RFA’s who might be signed include Tyler Pitlick and Matt Fraser.
  13. Anyone else? Peter Chiarelli could bring in a veteran like Justin Williams or Carl Soderberg and that would push everyone down. Pakarinen is in the conversation for an everyday job now, adding a veteran like that turns him into a fringe player. They could also get extremely lucky and draft another NHL-ready prospect, but that’s a distant bell.
  14. If you could protect only one of Pakarinen, Pitlick, Fraser, Ryan Hamilton, Kale Kessy or Luke Gazdic, who would it be? Pakarinen.
  15. Why? Young, range of skills and you never know who he might develop chemistry with over time. As an example, he was effective (in a very short time frame) with Anton Lander, and maybe they have chem this fall with Leon Draisaitl and that becomes the kid line. That has terrific value, especially considering Pakarinen cost only money. He’s a very good procurement asset if he turns into Willy Lindstrom or Dave Lumley.
  16. Can he score enough? That’s what we’re going to find out. He looked good last year in the AHL and in spurts with the Oilers.
  17. Why this song? Lots of reasons. It’s obscure (not for Allmans fans, but regular people) and it’s a later song. Plus it’s a good song and the lyric has some nice lines (“night time sleeps, but not for long”) and when is the next time I get to bring a Desdemona reference to this blog? Plus, Gregg Allman’s vocal is fabulous and the guitar is outstanding. Love this band.

48 Responses to "RE 14-15 IIRO PAKARINEN: DESDEMONA"

1. square_wheels says:

Can the boy play both wings ?

2. Klima's_Bucket says:

square_wheels,

He played both wings and even some defence back in Europe.

3. Loyal2theoil says:

Interesting that Button thinks we should pick up Ilya Samsonov in the draft. Which draft eligible goalie would you guys prefer?

4. Ancient Oilers Fan says:

He seemed a little inconsistent though.

20 of his 28 points in the AHL in 9 games.

No points in 22 of 39 games.

Only 3 points in 17 NHL games. One a walk into a slapshot contest puck coming off the bench

Of course if plus/minus meant anything a plus 17 in 39 games seems solid relative the the rest of the team. Next Miller +11 then Klefbom and Davidson at +10

5. BOLD OVER (5-14-6-1) says:

The Merkley/Draisey line with some jump early, and Marco with a nice chance as well.

And there’s a goal for Quebec. Rats.

6. PeOiler says:

I’m afraid I will hate Zack Fucale until I am done on this planet.

7. stush18 says:

Hey guys!

Been busy with finals and projects at school, and i broke my phone, so i havent had much time other than to skim thru the past week or so.

I am not running mcdavid on a line with hall. at least not until midway through the year.

poo-nuge-ebs
    hall-lander-yak
    hendricks-mcdavid-purcell
    klink-gord-pitlick/pak

as LT mentioned, Tmc usually ran vets and youngsters mixed. Hendricks knows how to play center, and can draws and provide some muscle and leadership for mcdavid.

Plus lander has proven he deserves a shot after the end of the year + world championships.

I keep scrivs until the end of the year, and I expect we end up with lehner/anderson. Chiapet is from the east and will have seen lots of these two goalies. I keep scrivs. If anything weve proven hes a terrible starter and a close to elite backup? either way, he is due for some regression to the norm, and only has one year left on his deal, where we can send him away and bring up brossoit at the trade deadline, assuming he is ready.

So excited about the slepy signing. I loved this guy ever since the world juniors. As some mentioned, he plays LW with a right handed shot, however I think he will move to the right wing if he plays in the bigs, because of a lack of right handed players. Most zone exits depend on that. Lots of teams dont really run a system in the offensive zone, other than the basics (keep the puck low, no hope plays, high man, cover for D). so he can swap sides as you enter the offensive zone.

I am also seeing yak getting traded at the end of this year, likely for a dman. I love him, and I hope he kicks out the jams on line with hall and puts up 35. With sleppy, drai, yak2, pak being close to nhl ready, I can see them moving him after a solid year once chia gets a better handle on what we do and do not have.

8. Yeti says:

Younger Oil:

LT, why do you hate Anton Lander?

Because sadly he’s Swedish, not Finnish.

9. Younger Oil says:

Yeti: Because sadly he’s Swedish, not Finnish.

Though reading it a second time I realize it is Willis who hates Lander!

10. square_wheels says:

Loyal2theoil,

Samsonov hasn’t played enough to convince me to drop a 2nd round pick in a deep draft, he’s been good in short tourney action but I’d want to see more games. Who owns his CHL rights ?

11. square_wheels says:

Early in the Ranger/TB game I get the impression St Louis is not going to let this be his swan song, he’s been a hound on the puck.

If this ends up being his final, I think I might pour another couple fingers of gentleman jack for the little big man.

12. RexLibris says:

square_wheels:
    Can the boy play both wings ?

A little early to compare him to Ovechkin, don’t you think?

13. square_wheels says:

RexLibris,

He needs extra long yellow skate laces but everything else is similar.

14. BOLD OVER (5-14-6-1) says:

square_wheels,

Gentlemen Jack.

Do you drive a three door Dodge Newport?

15. BOLD OVER (5-14-6-1) says:

PeOiler:
    I’m afraid I will hate Zack Fucale until I am done on this planet.

You’re a Remparts fan?

16. square_wheels says:

BOLD OVER (5-14-6-1),

now we’re gonna fight over bourbon……

17. PeOiler says:

BOLD OVER (5-14-6-1),

Nay. Fucale has swept my Islanders team from the playoffs 2 years running now.

18. BOLD OVER (5-14-6-1) says:

square_wheels:
    BOLD OVER (5-14-6-1),

now we’re gonna fight over bourbon……

Nobody fights over bourbon, only because of bourbon!

19. BOLD OVER (5-14-6-1) says:

square_wheels,

I’m just being a prick. Sabbath and bourbon, in honor of Mr. St Louis!

20. square_wheels says:

Leon nearly another shorty and people think he’s slow, pffft.

21. geowal says:

Yeah that Drasaitll fella is slow

22. square_wheels says:

BOLD OVER (5-14-6-1),

Being a prick is all good by me, life is too short to take things seriously.

Unless it’s hating Kessler, that I take very serious.

23. geowal says:

square_wheels:
    Leon nearly another shorty and people think he’s slow, pffft.

Ha, yep!

24. BOLD OVER (5-14-6-1) says:

square_wheels:
    Leon nearly another shorty and people think he’s slow, pffft.

And his lethal one-touch shot off the quick pass is Colbornian!

25. Mr DeBakey says:

Loyal2theoil:

Karel Vejmelka, HC Pardubice (Czech U20)
    6’3″, 203 pounds, Trebic, CZE
    NHL CSS Ranking: NR
    Last season, he was ranked as the 15th-best European option but was not selected, but Karel Vejmelka improved to become a more complete goaltender this season. Formerly one who simply used his size and positioning, Vejmelka improved his athletic ability and anticipation thanks in part to famed Czech goalie Dominik Hasek, who imparted his knowledge throughout the season.

The Vejinator

26. square_wheels says:

BOLD OVER (5-14-6-1),

My lovely wife calls me from Phoenix, inside a Phoenix size liquor store – “what kind of bourbon do you like??”. I’d marry her twice just based on that call.

She came home with Chestnut Farms.

27. square_wheels says:

BOLD OVER (5-14-6-1),

Merkley at 16 we gotta take him, damn.

28. LadiesloveSmid says:

Perron is my favourite comparable for Merkley. Kind of Perron-Desharnais mix. I’d have a lot of time for him at 16.

Drai 1G 1A 5SOG. Rang a couple off the iron.

29. pts2pndr says:

The pieces are here for the forward lines just a case of placing same.I see the following

Populiot Nugent Hopkins. Eberle

Hall Lander Pitlick

Pakarinen McDavid. Yakimov

Hendricks Gordon. Klinkhamer

Several players will be pushing both Pitlick and klinkhammer for spots in top 12.
    If only the D was as strong! Three scoring lines without even working at it!

30. square_wheels says:

LadiesloveSmid,

I see that. Pain in the ass, hard on the puck, chippy but can skoot. Nice comp and a great fit for LD. Don’t think he lasts, Flames would pounce for sure. Unless nobody takes Crouse, that’ would be a Burke pick he couldn’t resist.

31. jake70 says:

McDavid with a nice interview on the panel. Looked pretty comfortable. And there, that settles that – he is not dissapointed to possibly go to the Oilers.

32. square_wheels says:

Final Craig’s List would leave us :
    1 ALJ
    16 Rantanen (Svechnikov17) but it’s a Fin so….
    33 Konecny (Meloche 36 Sprong 38)
    57 Nattinen (Blackwood 62!)
    79 Gaudette ( Caleb Jones 81)
    86 Paygin (gagne 91)

If we walk away with ALJ, Svechnikov, Konecny, Blackwood, Jones and Gagne I’d be happy.

Getting a bit drunk, put down 200k commuting on the bike this week and said fuck it and wolfed down some Hawkins Cheezies.

33. RexLibris says:

Reading Button’s final draft list.

I love this line: Provorov’s game is both complete and thorough.

Superfluous redundancy.

I like the options for the Oilers within a range of two at each draft spot.

34. theres oil in virginia says:

If you could protect only one of Pitlick, Fraser, Ryan Hamilton, Kale Kessy or Luke Gazdic, who would it be? Pakarinen.

Something is amiss…or are you being evasive with your alter ego?

35. RexLibris says:

TB up 1-0 early in the 3rd.

36. square_wheels says:

RexLibris,

2-0 game over. Sail on Vermont Catamount-er.
    And former Calgary Flame cast-off.

37. LadiesloveSmid says:

square_wheels:
    LadiesloveSmid,

Draft ranking has to be rising though

38. knighttown says:

Worst game 7 I remember watching. Scoring chances must have been 6-4. And HNIC raved about how both teams played the perfect game. I guess so, if that’s your thing…like two football teams running up the middle three times then punting for field position on each possession and having the final possession end on a 45 yard field goal for a 3-0 win.

Not my thing tho.

Did Bishop make any memorable saves?

As an Oiler fan this trend in hockey is the worst case scenario as our thoroughbreds won’t have the patience to play like that.

39. pocession charge says:

LadiesloveSmid: Pesky right shot winger. Skating even reminds me of Perron. I wouldn’t mind trading 120 games of Perron for 10 years of Perron 2.0 at 16th

Draft ranking has to be rising though

I would argue that Merkley is much faster than Perron, even before DP developed hip problems. That would be a great pick at #16. So much quality available at that spot.

40. pocession charge says:

knighttown:

Not my thing tho.

Did Bishop make any memorable saves?

They need to consider enlarging the nets. 4 inches wider and 2 inches taller would make a huge difference in total goal scoring.

41. NYCOIL "Taking Photos" says:

From the last thread: SNOWMAN, if you’re reading this. CFA is a tough thing to obtain, but will earn you respect and credibility. My advice is that if you want to go down the finance route it will help you greatly in this day and age. If two similar candidates are in a position for a job but one has a CFA, 9/10 times the man/woman with the CFA will get the job. Research analyst is a wonderful thing to be if you have the patience for it. You learn crap loads and you basically get treated like an important client by the companies you cover, and also should be held in high regard by your sales force and clients. You kind of become a VIP of the finance world. Also, I think with all due respect to accounting, which is a great and necessary skill, I think being a Research analyst has less potential to be boring.

One last thing, I would avoid being a trader in this day and age. I mean, you could do it, but future prospects and thus future seats are diminishing as a result of industry regulation. Same amount of traders seeking less and less jobs means pay is going down while hours and stress remain high. Be good to yourself and avoid trading.

And I say all that having started my finance career as a junior assistant to the #1 ranked auto industry analyst in Japan (was really fun visiting Nissan, Subaru, Honda, Yamaha etc and being treated by them like royalty) but then having a very successful run as a portfolio and prop trader for 13 years after that.

Best of luck!

42. NYCOIL "Taking Photos" says:

I liked Pakarinen in limited showings. Prefer him over Fraser due to footspeed and honestly would be okay if the Oilers didn’t sign a Winnik type and gave Pakarinen the rover bottom six winger role instead to focus funds elsewhere.

Also, does anyone else feel Matty is just throwing shit at the wall now because he is getting less access under Chia? I mean, this is hfboards type stuff right here, and he seems to just willfully diminish the value of Oilers’ assets by writing stuff like this. Yakupov for Spurgeon? Are you kidding me? And I say that as a fan of Spurgeon. I feel like Matty also undermined and diminished the value of players like Hemsky and Petry as well before they were traded, while at this point I think obtaining Drew Stafford will cost us McJesus.

43. G Money says:

*** PSEUDO NERD ALERT ***

Or is it Nerd Pseudo-Alert?!

Any way … this is the full article version of my earlier post about NOT using EVGA for evaluating defensemen. With more data ‘n’ tables ‘n’ charts ‘n’ stuff.

44. frjohnk says:

G Money:
    *** PSEUDO NERD ALERT ***

Or is it Nerd Pseudo-Alert?!

Any way … this is the full article version of my earlier post about NOT using EVGA for evaluating defensemen.With more data ‘n’ tables ‘n’ charts ‘n’ stuff.

For what’s worth, I think measuring defense men with EVGA is better than using EVGF for measuring goalies. So it has value 🙂

45. frjohnk says:

Gmoney.
    Good post as always. I love how you changed your title about “trying to generate good data about a bad team ( that just got a lot better)

Wife saw that and laughed. She said “it’s true”

46. G Money says:

frjohnk,

Ha ha, yeah, I did that Sunday McMorning!

I debated adding something else again after Chia Pet, but figure it’s good enough until they actually start winning on the ice!

47. raventalon40 says:

pts2pndr:

PopuliotNugent Hopkins. Eberle

HallLanderPitlick

Pakarinen McDavid. Yakimov

Hendricks Gordon. Klinkhamer

Several players will be pushing both Pitlick andklinkhammerfor spots in top12.
    If only the D was as strong! Three scoring lines without even working at it!

Um, Yakimov?