MO MONEY MO PROBLEMS

I love the math of hockey (baseball fan here) but will tell you true a good scout will describe the future with stunning clarity if you listen.

Mike Remmerde about Justin Schultz

• Strengths: Excellent skater. Big time shot from the point.
  • Weaknesses: Soft – no physical presence. Slight build and will need to bulk up. Not aggressive with the puck.
  • Outstanding skater with a smooth stride and good pivots. Doesn’t use his speed. Good asset on the PP – loves to shoot the puck and can his shot on net consistently. Shot is hard and he gets it away quickly. Good overall hockey sense, but doesn’t seem to move or carry the puck real well. Decent decisions in defensive zone, but just does not even try to use his body.
  • Summary: Lacks some zip in his game. With all that skating and puck skill, I’d like him a lot more if he had more confidence or aggressiveness offensively.
  • Target/Want: Wouldn’t consider until 3rd. Some teams seem to have a very high interest in this player. Probably will go in the 2nd round.
  • Source

Remmerde wrote that in June of 2008 and Anaheim did in fact take him inside the second round. There are some quibbles (where did that big shot go?) but Remmerde did an outstanding job of describing Justin Schultz. I underlined the part about moving the puck because that’s where I began to distance myself from Schultz as a part of the future.

The back and forth between these two on twitter and elsewhere is a lot of fun. I hope one day they’re wearing matching rings with an Oilers logo on them, and for the first time in forever there’s hope we’ll see these two gents in an NHL playoff game in the next few seasons. Cannot wait!

Chapman’s tweet reflects what many feel based on what I’m reading. The problem with Lehtonen, aside from his most recent season (poor poor) is that he’s 32 in November. Even if you trade for him and he has a good season, then what? You’re a young team with an aging goalie. The cap world makes every dollar committed a big damn deal and Lehtonen’s $5.9 million times three is a scary item. I like Lehtonen and if Dallas were to sweeten a potential deal (as in give up something very good for a meh return) maybe there’s a deal. From here, it looks like Niemi is a somewhat better bet who can also be acquired for just dollars. I remain thrilled to hear rumors about Chiarelli pursuing men like Talbot. He’s looking in the right place.

JACKMAN SLEDGEHAMMER

jackman michalekWord this morning the St. Louis Blues will move on from Barrett Jackman. Now, there is going to be a LOT of conversation from Oilers fans and media about Jackman, because he’s a tough defender and a physical presence on the blue. The Vollman sledgehammer screams two things about this situation:

• Barrett Jackman filled a role (tough ZS, easy opposition) that does not warrant a $3M+ pay day.
  • We should be talking about Zbynek Michalek if we’re chatting UFA Blues blue.

I’m confident the Edmonton Oilers will keep their powder dry on the Jackman front. The Michalek conversation should be an interesting one on Kingsway. Peter Chiarelli has some ghastly free-agent options available to him, can he avoid another horrible contract given to a UFA D? The Hamilton offer sheet rumors should serve as a reminder the Edmonton Oilers are under new management.

BLUNT7

LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE

Back in the studio today, 10 this morning TSN1260. Scheduled to appear:

• Dennis King, Oilogosphere Icon. SCF, NBA and we won’t be able to ignore the difficult days ahead for Shane Doan.
  • Jeff Krushell, Krush Sport. Hey, those Blue Jays are getting pitching! Mirage?
  • Sarah McLellan, Arizona Republic. Sarah will give us the lowdown from the desert on a bizarre night in Glendale.
  • Paul Almeida, SSE. Paul helps us set the stage for tonight’s World Cup game for Canada at Commonwealth.

10-1260 text, @Lowetide on twitter. 90 minutes!

145 Responses to "MO MONEY MO PROBLEMS"

1. russ99 says:

LOLLYGAGGER!!

3. v4ance says:

When news of Jackman’s imminent departure showed up on twitter, I started looking at the Blues cap situation. They have 57 million committed for next year with Top 4 D signed, most of the forwards signed and Brian Elliot signed.

They can probably fill out the 5, 6 and 7 D slots for about $5 million and Jake Allen will probably go to $1.25-1.5 million as an RFA. With $9M left to address forwards, I thougt they looked to be in good shape but then I looked and saw Tarasenko is an RFA. Depending on what he gets, it’ll be tight but I think he should be getting ~$6million on a 5-7 year contract? That would leave them about $3 million to get 3 more depth forwards but they’ll be right at the top of the cap again with no room to add anything at next year’s trade deadline.

4. dustrock says:

russ99: Schultz’s shot went away because he fell in love with the knuckling wrister than worked fantastically well in the AHL, but it doesn’t work in the NHL, especially when you telegraph it and give goalies time to react.Nothing wrong with Schultz that 15-20 lbs of muscle, some hard work and a coach that will challenge him can’t fix, rather than gift him huge ice time regardless of play.I’m super-curious if Chiarelli can somehow get a Yak-like deal for him done at lower than the qualifying offer for 2 years.

The thing with Schultz – you’d have to think every single one of his NHL coaches noticed the same issues with his game. Is he unwilling or unable to learn?

Also, heard Soderberg in a Swedish interview spoke positively about Edmonton, saying something like “I’d do well in Edmonton or Winnipeg,…the heat in Florida would be more of a pain”.

Good ol’ Swedish lad. Skal!

Seriously that scouting report (minus the shot) could have been written in March 2015.

Math + Smart eyes >>>> Smart eyes
    Math + Smart eyes >>>> Math
    Math >>>>>>> Not so smart eyes

v4ance:
    When news of Jackman’s imminent departure showed up on twitter, I started looking at the Blues cap situation.They have 57 million committed for next year with Top 4 D signed, most of the forwards signed and Brian Elliot signed.

They can probably fill out the 5, 6 and 7 D slots for about $5 million and Jake Allen will probably go to $1.25-1.5 million as an RFA.With $9M left to address forwards, I thougt they looked to be in good shape but then I looked and saw Tarasenko is an RFA.Depending on what he gets, it’ll be tight but I think he should be getting ~$6million on a 5-7 year contract?That would leave them about $3 million to get 3 more depth forwards but they’ll be right at the top of the cap again with no room to add anything at next year’s trade deadline.

v4ance:

Doug Armstrong can be counted on to grind the shit out of his players on a bridge contract.

If that goes past June 30th, there’s a pretty good offersheet target.

NOTE: Offer sheet target can include saying “I’m going to sheet Tarsenko for $7MM/yr and the next guy is too, you better trade me X so you can free up some cap”

This is also known as the Burkie Method.

8. hunter1909 says:

Like I said yesterday: maybe Schultz turns up at training camp as Paul Coffey.

Lowe+MacT, both using duplicity and guile managed to destroy and otherwise fuck up an entire division’s worth of prospects in the last ten years. EVERYONE can receive a free get Out of Jail card, unless proven otherwise in the opinion of new Head Coach Todd McLellan. Training Camp’s going to be huge.

9. PhrankLee says:

I’m on record writing JS off as a total freeloader but I was impressed with his humility at the end of the season committing to getting stronger in order to battle harder. He has had the fanbase on his back more than many or most.

I’m with LT in thinking we should walk away. He has not been able to generate a decent pass or even take a pass smoothly.

This level of TOI requires a wicked passer and someone who breaks up the cycle.

Nothing up to this point suggests he is capable of either.

10. Ducey says:

Whaaatt?

The old management liked offer sheets too!

Lowe was the offer sheet king. He loves big game hunting.
    ———–

I was just in Vegas. The arena there is well under way. They have the season ticket holders lined up. A move from AZ to Vegas seems inevitable.

hunter1909:
    Like I said yesterday: maybe Schultz turns up at training camp as Paul Coffey.

True. Schultz clearly has some nice things but things weren’t working well. That isn’t a news bulletin when it comes to young blue, perhaps a fresh set of eyes and an experienced hand will release the hounds.

12. Doug McLachlan says:

LT,

Thanks for posting St. Louis’ D-man sledgehammer. Ever since Scott Cullen suggested the Oilers look at Michalek as a potential UFA d-man target I’ve been looking at that beautiful blue bubble and thinking happy thoughts.

Two pair of calm feet on the blue can do so, so much for this team come the fall.

Stay on target Chia. D and G. Reasonable prices. See what McLellan can make out of the pieces MacT and Tambo have assembled. The issue may not be so much the ingredients but the chef. If so, there is some reason to hope.

13. hunter1909 says:

Ducey: They have the season ticket holders lined up.

What? A bunch of gamblers will support NHL hockey in Vegas? Check the real estate market in NV first. Everyone’s broke. Still, it might make for a good laugh seeing the NHL try to start up another impossible franchise location.

I can’t wait until July 2nd.

Draft will be over and most of the trades and UFA signings will be over so we won’t have to contort ourselves about what *might* happen, but can commence with bitching about what actually happened.

We also might applaud what happened, but lets be serious folks, we make my old Ukrainian Great Aunt’s knitting circle look like calm and reasonable people who don’t complain about anything.

Those ladies are something else.

Warm outside – “Its too damned hot, it was never this hot when I was young”

Cold outside – “Its too damned cold out, mind you it was colder when I was young, you people would have never survived, but we did with nothing but a wood burning stove!”

You get the picture.

“You want me to move into a home? Get out of here, the next place I move is into a box!”

Lucking there is lots of family around to make sure she’s fine.

Tough bird.

15. Jordan says:

Wow.

I recall michalek being good, but that bubble in that quadrant…

Dreamy.

Could Michalek partner with Fayne for the toughs? Is that realistic?

If you can find a way to move out some more of the floatsam on the back end for another defender, say Ferrence and a 33 ov for ??? then our D starts to look much more sane:

Michalek – Fayne
    Klefbom – Schultz
    ???? – Marincin
    Nikitin

16. hunter1909 says:

Ditto with Yakupov. And quite literally every young Oilers prospect. McLellan sold me at the World Championships, the way he used Taylor Hall and Jordan Eberle, which permanently shuts the ridiculous “let’s unload Eberle” narrative that comes around every time the Oilers lose another ten games.

Something tells me the team is going to be having one of those “Don Shula takes over the Dolphins” type Training Camps; since the last several head coaches were completely ineffectual.

Ducey:

Whaaatt?

The old management liked offer sheets too!

Lowe was the offer sheet king.He loves big game hunting.
    ———–

I was just in Vegas.The arena there is well under way.They have the season ticket holders lined up.A move from AZ to Vegas seems inevitable.

Nope.

Quebec City neither.

Both of those markets are primed to pay expansion fees and there is nothing the NHL likes more is big gobs of non-HRR money.

My money is on:

a) staying in Glendale or moving to US Airways Center in PHX until sold or new rink deal in Scottsdale or SEA

b) sold to guy who wants to build a hockey rink in SEA (not Hansen, the other guy) and playing in the Key Arena until the new rink is built

Expansion money will not be threatened on Gary’s watch.

Jordan,

Could Michalek partner with Fayne for the toughs? Is that realistic?

Yes sir.

19. G Money says:

hunter1909: Lowe+MacT, both using duplicity and guile managed to destroy and otherwise fuck up an entire division’s worth of prospects in the last ten years. EVERYONE can receive a free get Out of Jail card, unless proven otherwise in the opinion of new Head Coach Todd McLellan.

And here we observe the rare “Patient and Stoic Post-MacEakLowe Hunter1909”. Still a little volatile.

I happen to agree with you. I’ve said a few times, we don’t actually know what we’ve got in this team until we see them under an experienced coach who is both technically skilled and able to communicate with players. And hallelujah! We have one of those!

The problem is not being patient, the problem is more one of what it’s going to cost you. Can Jultz add some muscle and backbone to his elite skating game? I’d pay $2M of Katz’ money to find out. I wouldn’t pay $4M because of what I suspect the answer to be.

20. G Money says:

The only guy in my books that doesn’t get a Get out of Jail Free card is Ference.

He’s done. So done. Pretty much every shift.

Using EV CF% (yeah yeah, take with grain of salt) WOWY, Ference managed to drag every single one of his D partners with whom he played with more than 5:00 total down. Every one. In some cases by close to 10 CF%. Given the way ice time and competition shifts, I wasn’t sure that was even possible, but somehow Ference found a way.

Sorry, Cap’n. I admire you as a person, I admire your dedication to your community, I admire your dedication to fitness. But you need to put the team first and retire.

Addition by subtraction.

That alone might be such a benefit it would offset much of the loss of Petry.

21. gd says:

Michalek played his first three pro seasons under TMc in Houston. He seems like the best potential not crazily overpaid UFA, short term solution for next year. If they signed him and used the draft assets++ for a trade for as good a young puck moving dman like Ellis, Spurgeon, Pouliot, Gelinas or even Hickey would be a solid summer for Chia.

Latest via Micheal Giardi of ComcastNBC:

“It comes down to whether Dougie Hamilton wants to take less and accept a team-friendly bridge contract,” said Haggerty. “If he’s willing to do that, he’s on board with what Don Sweeney’s doing and the Bruins are doing, and they can figure it out and make it work.”

Giardi himself says:

“There is the potential, he’s 21 years old, so we don’t know,” said Giardi. “Victor Hedman, who is shining in the Stanley Cup Playoffs, six years in the league now, finally becoming the player that they thought they had when they drafted and developed him. It could take that long for Dougie Hamilton. I’m not going to turn around and give him six or seven million a year when he’s not that guy yet.”

Forget that Chara and Seidenburg are much better with him than without him I guess.

Basically they are saying:

“Hey kid, take much less than the market will pay because we want you to show “you’re with the program”, forget looking after yourself or the threat of career ending surgery ok? This is the Neely way!”

This will not end well for Sweeney.

Hope Chia takes them for a drive to get some canoli.

Linky: http://www.csnne.com/boston-bruins/haggerty-hope-hamilton-takes-bridge-contract

23. Bar_Qu says:

Woodguy:

“You want me to move into a home?Get out of here, the next place I move is into a box!”

Lucking there is lots of family around to make sure she’s fine.

Tough bird.

They built them tougher back then. 😉

24. Bank Shot says:

Michalek out of St.Louis would be good.There is no reason that chiarelli won’t be able to find a middling D-man like him through free agency this year. It’s pretty much a must.

Coburn could probably be had out of Tampa. They are tight to the cap and it will only get worse for them over the next couple of seasons. He will be gone anyway.

Kari Lehtonen would be a godsend. He has a decade track record of good goaltending.

I think Chiarelli won’t be as afraid of “old guys” as much as the fans are. He’s a guy that acquired a 40 year old Recchi, Jagr, Iginla.

He definitely isn’t going to shy away from 30+ players. And really, he shouldn’t. There is a definite correlation between age and winning in the NHL and its not the youngest teams showing up the most in the win column.

25. leadfarmer says:

Woodguy,

Well good thing he doesn’t have to worry about signing him to that contract. Someone else will do it for him.

For those unfamiliar with what is going on in SEA, read these two links:

Key paragraph from the first link:

Yet Bartoszek’s intentions are clear. He led an investment group that came close to purchasing the NHL’s Arizona Coyotes in 2013 and moving them to Seattle. The hockey team would have played several seasons at the Seattle Center’s KeyArena while a new arena was built.

He was lined up to buy the Yotes and move them if Glendale didn’t approve the new arena deal.

Now that Glendale killed the arena deal, its makes sense that he’s back in the picture.

Bar_Qu: I have an uncle like that, one of the first organic farmers in BC in the late 70s. He’s in his late 70s now and I watched him complete the Gran Fond (?) bike race through the mountains at Banff last summer. Unreal. I was tired just waiting with the 4 kids for him to finish.

They built them tougher back then.

28. v4ance says:

Lowetide: I think we’ll see some action in St. Louis. Oshie, Berglund, maybe even a bigger name. There will be blood.

Too true.

I forgot to mention that if we look ahead to the end of next season, Backes will be coming off his cap friendly $4.5 million contract and will be a UFA looking at a hefty number for his next contract. Plus Jaden Schwartz will be an RFA.

If they are proactive, they MIGHT be able to keep most of the core together if they sacrifice one key piece so they can manage their cap going forward.

29. Ducey says:

Woodguy: Nope.

Quebec City neither.

My money is on:

b) sold to guy who wants to build a hockey rink in SEA (not Hansen, the other guyy) and playing in the Key Arena until the new rink is built

Expansion money will not be threatened on Gary’s watch.

Good points, but it seems the relationship between government and the Coyotes/ NHL is only going to get worse with a lawsuit. UFA’s won’t come, players will leave and fans will sour more on the whole thing.

Add this to the lack of support for hockey and Gary might just have to bite the bullet and move the team next door to Vegas.

30. Bar_Qu says:

In other news

Texas Stars Launch Franchise Rebrand, Switch to Victory Green and Silver http://t.co/tG6UvS9lnn #txstars pic.twitter.com/n2sbmzABJD— 100 Degree Hockey (@100degreehockey) June 11, 2015

But we still hate your guts for all those playoff losses.

31. Bag of Pucks says:

There’s a very good reason that none of the professional sports leagues will touch Vegas with a barge pole. Hint: it has nothing to do with their economy.

Love the Hall & Ebs dynamic. Good friendships leads to good teamwork.

What’s difficult to understand is how they can both earn $6mil per season and dress like they shop at Tip Top?

32. Woogie63 says:

I hold more promise for Shultz (like Yakapov), the Oiler management has failed him by not providing a consistent vet partner, and limited time in the AHL to develop his skills.

With a consistent vet partner, the right quality of ice and a coach who provides structure, a training camp that does not go on until November he could add 10 -15 points to his 2014/15 totals…. Which will put him around the 20th top scoring dman.

33. Jordan says:

If it’s me, and the dougie hamilton thing is real, I sign him to a 5 year 6M deal.

I don’t do it because I think Boston won’t match – of course they will.

I do it so that:
    – the amount is not more than the Hall contract. No one makes more than him until McDavid needs a raise
    – Boston’s being dicks about the 2nd round pick
    – Forces boston to move someone else, which increases the optiions for other teams, and reduces the pressure on the Oilers to overpay for players by increasing the supply of players
    – It tells all UFAs/RFAs the Oilers know who the competant players are and wants to get them. Win now mode.

34. G Money says:

Anyone know of a site that shows WOWY QoC?

35. Klima's_Bucket says:

Woodguy: Joe Haggerty’s biceps and shoulders must be aching from all the BOS water he’s carrying.

But does Joe Haggerty have to chop all of Boston’s wood too?

36. theres oil in virginia says:

Woodguy:
    I can’t wait until July 2nd.

Those ladies are something else.

Warm outside – “Its too damned hot, it was never this hot when I was young”

You get the picture.

Lucking there is lots of family around to make sure she’s fine.

Tough bird.

Awesome post on all fronts.

37. Pouzar says:

Guys. It’s Yakupov. Not Yakapov.
    Sorry. Bugs me.

38. Ca$h-McMoney! says:

Most of our problems on defense stem from trying to fix our problems on defense.

Let’s all keep that in mind.

39. OilSafety says:

Mc David wooooooooootttttt!

40. RexLibris says:

Woodguy:

Latest via Micheal Giardi of ComcastNBC:

Giardi himself says:

Basically they are saying:

This will not end well for Sweeney.

Hope Chia takes them for a drive to get some canoli.

I would cry from the sheer joy of it.

If Chiarelli could profit by trading for a young defender that the Bruins undervalued despite virtually ALL evidence to the contrary solely because it didn’t fit what they wanted reality to be…oh the delicious irony of having MacTavish as his understudy on such a deal!

41. theres oil in virginia says:

Woodguy: When you get up and do physical work every day of your life regardless of the weather you just become tough.

EDIT to add: regardless of how you feel, either.

Took the words right out of my mouth. Of course, I don’t really want to get any tougher, if you know what I mean.

42. Pouzar says:

G Money: The recent discussion on assessing defensemen, which is of desperate importance to the Oilers and for which the math is poorly developed and doesn’t help as much as I’d like, has had me mulling on ways to visualize the goodness or badness of D.I remain a big fan of WOWYs. Knowing whether a defenseman generally makes his D partners better or worse I think tells us a lot, and matches well with what I see on the ice.Here’s what I’m mulling as a visualization, riffing on some of the “spider” charts that Micah Blake McCurdy posts:– on one axis is CA (or maybe SCA, either of which are more relevant to the defensive side of the equation rather than CF% or SCF%)– on the other axis is QoC or ZS (I want to try both and see which one appears to give better results)The idea is for say a “Ference” chart to show a to/from arrow for each D partner, showing where he was with and without. This would give a real quick look of the “Ference effect” (or the “Petry effect”, or the “Marincin effect”, etc), and I think would be vastly clearer than the ones that try to capture the e.g. CF% delta on the x vs y axis.The catch is that I can’t find WOWY QoC data. My goto (stats.hockeyanalysis.com) only has shots and ZS.Anyone know of a site that shows WOWY QoC?

43. RexLibris says:

Pouzar:
    Guys. It’s Yakupov. Not Yakapov.
    Sorry. Bugs me.

What does it matter. He’s the next overhyped young player just like Sam Ganger.

44. RexLibris says:

Woodguy: One of them is 92, still lives on the farm and mows here own (3/4 acre) lawn with her riding lawn mower.

Was really hoping you were going to say “push mower” there.

45. OilCanFan says:

hunter1909:
    Like I said yesterday: maybe Schultz turns up at training camp as Paul Coffey.

I’m expecting to see a turn-around in a number of players with the new management/coaching as well as the experience Hall/Eberle got with Mclellan. I think Eakins was a huge problem coupled with Mactavish’s stupid comments that really affected the confidence in a lot of players. I’m expecting to see more of the AHL Schultz joining the rush and he should not be one of the top minute guys on the D. I’m also expecting Klefbom to step it up again next year and I can’t see Nurse not making the team based on how well he jumped into the AHL team from Junior. I think he is already too good for the AHL, imo.

46. Pouzar says:

RexLibris: What does it matter. He’s the next overhyped young player just like Sam Ganger.

Gone-Yay!!!!!!

47. rickithebear says:

Pouzar:
    Guys. It’s Yakupov. Not Yakapov.
    Sorry. Bugs me.

yu know they are the same player.

Gagne and Gagne when one is Gagner WAS a problem.

48. G Money says:

Pouzar: Not that I know of…but Stats.HockeyAnalysis does show the Ozone starts WOWY fwiw

Yeah, ZS seems to be a staple. It’s the QoC that doesn’t seem to get WOWYd that I can find (perhaps with good reason, as I ranted about yesterday, it’s a stat that needs a hefty sample size, and maybe chopping it down by WOWYs is a cure worse than the disease – but I won’t know until I can actually discombobulate the numbers).

49. G Money says:

Pouzar:
    Guys. It’s Yakupov. Not Yakapov.
    Sorry. Bugs me.

Also: Hanifin. Not Hanifan. Not Hanafan.

HANIFIN.

50. Bar_Qu says:

It is no mystery as to what gives a long, healthy life – hard work outside every day (even if it leaves you with aching joints). Not something most aspire to, even with all the health fad stuff out there.

Not that I would do that mind you.

51. Pouzar says:

G Money: Also: Hanifin. Not Hanifan. Not Hanafan.HANIFIN.Not that I want to get all ‘pendantic’ (as an old boss of mine used to say and thus linguistically oxymoron himself) about it.

Exactly….Hanifin hasn’t sucked long enough for the Oilers to be called HANAFIN.

52. wheatnoil says:

G Money:

I remain a big fan of WOWYs.Knowing whether a defenseman generally makes his D partners better or worse I think tells us a lot, and matches well with what I see on the ice.

The idea is for say a “Ference” chart to show a to/from arrow for each D partner, showing where he was with and without.This would give a real quick look of the “Ference effect”(or the “Petry effect”, or the “Marincin effect”, etc), and I think would be vastly clearer than the ones that try to capture the e.g. CF% delta on the x vs y axis.

The catch is that I can’t find WOWY QoC data.My goto (stats.hockeyanalysis.com) only has shots and ZS.

Anyone know of a site that shows WOWY QoC?

Look up Ference. http://public.tableau.com/shared/HJB57RSDN?:display_count=yes
    He didn’t start struggling when he arrived in Edmonton… he dragged down his teammates in Boston too.

Nikitin looks a bit better.

Fayne has been solid until this past year, but even then, nothing like Ference.

Klefbom is looking to become dreamy. Schultz has shown marked improvement this year but it’s interesting to note that he has not consistently shown the ability to improve offence, once accounting for his zone starts.

Also, Yakupov looks none to good. However, the rest of the forwards (Pouliot, RNH, Hall, Ebs) look not too bad. Gordon is what you’d expect.

For fun… look up Jagr… he’s a machine. A MACHINE!!

53. Frank the dog says:

rickithebear: yu know they are the same player.

Gagne and Gagne when one is Gagner WAS a problem.

Repeatedly or intentionally mis-spelling a person’s name is just insulting. Torturing a foreign language simply displays a lack of understanding of a language, or alternately, just being deliberately prickish.

Edit:
    Oh, and if you cant remember how to spell the name or are too lazy to look it up (like me sometimes) try using first names or nicknames . Any of “Nail”, “Yak” , “Yak 1”, or “Yak City” would suffice.

54. Captain Smarmy says:

I think we should have drafted Tyler Sequin

55. Bag of Pucks says:

RexLibris: Was really hoping you were going to say “push mower” there.

This topic’s dredged up a couple of memories.

When I was in college, I worked construction every summer. There was a tough old hippy looking guy on the crew. Funny guy. Always cracking jokes. One morning I’m surprised to see him walking off the job site early. I ask him what’s up? He shrugs and holds up his hand saying he’s got to get something looked at. He’s got a 3″ spike through the palm of his hand. Zero reaction to the pain. He might as well have been bitten by a mosquito.

56. vinotintazo says:

Captain Smarmy,

We didnt have the #2 Overall pick in 2010.

57. G Money says:

Captain Smarmy: I think we should have drafted Tyler Sequin

Not to be pendantic about it, but I’m pretty sure it’s Tayler Sequins.

58. Pouzar says:

Captain Smarmy: I think we should have drafted Tyler Sequin

Winner of the Internet.

59. Pouzar says:

Bag of Pucks: “you realize we can never cry again!”

LMAO…awesome!

60. G Money says:

Bag of Pucks: My youngest upon watching all of this turns to his brother and says, “you realize we can never cry again!”

LOL, that’s awesome.

I tell my 7 year olds all the time: “No crying unless there’s blood or a broken bone!”

Doesn’t work.

61. Doug McLachlan says:

gd:
    Michalek played his first three pro seasons under TMc in Houston.

I did not know that. Cool.

Another TMac UFA D to consider, in addition to Michalek, would be Irwin in SJ. He is still young. Has a nice blue bubble of his own on the SJ sledgehammer and would not break the bank.

62. zilong says:

Woodguy:
    Jordan,

Could Michalek partner with Fayne for the toughs? Is that realistic?

Yes sir.

Both play RD. But, despite what previous management thinks (see Petry, Jeff), there’s nothing wrong with having 2 good shutdown RD.

63. Adam Wu says:

Calling Yak “overhyped” is ridiculous on the face of it. Outside of subset of Edmonton fans, who are prominent here but a minority even among Oiler fans, the “hype” on Yak across the league is that he’s a useless draft bust. It is literally a big fat zero. A negative number in fact. That is the precise opposite of overhyped.

64. Showerhead says:

Bag of Pucks My youngest upon watching all of this turns to his brother and says, “you realize we can never cry again!”

Ha, I love this. Great story!

65. Bag of Pucks says:

G Money: LOL, that’s awesome.

Doesn’t work.

They’ll get there.

66. G Money says:

This gives me confidence in the Chia regime:

Edmonton Oilers have their pro meetings over the next few days in Kelowna BC. Told top priority for staff is to find a #1 goaltender.— John Shannon (@JSportsnet) June 11, 2015

67. Pouzar says:

Bag of Pucks: They’ll get there.My boys are young men now and whenever we watch a sad movie, they’ll do the standard guy thing and push it down. My wife will always tell them “don’t be like your father, don’t be afraid to cry, it’s not a sign of weakness, etc.” Thankfully they’ve got enough old school in them to ignore that advice. lolThe worst is that damn ‘Million Dollar Baby” flick. When that lady boxer dies, it gets me every time!

I walked out on “Molly and Me”.
    Thank gord my 5 yr old son takes after his mom. 🙂

EDIT: “Marley and Me”

68. G Money says:

wheatnoil,

Interesting charts. I still find them a bit hard to parse (which is why I’m trying to find a simpler method).

Really hoping I can find WOWY QoC, I could build that myself using the event databases I’m building, but just building QoC calculations will be a large project unto itself, and I’d rather continue to focus on the temporal spatial stuff that is underserved from the available sites.

Sigh. So much data, so little time.

69. B S says:

Bag of Pucks: “you realize we can never cry again!”

Fantastic! I love how quickly they caught on. Smart kids.

I couldn’t cry from getting an injury if I wanted too. My grandmother (in her late 70s at the time) compound fractured her thumb (jagged bone sticking through the skin, the whole shebang) while in the kitchen. She bandaged it up and walked 10 blocks to the hospital, didn’t even bother calling anyone until after the doctors had looked at it because she didn’t want to worry them. Depression era and a world war make a tough woman.

70. Bag of Pucks says:

Pouzar: I walked out on “Molly and Me”.
    Thank gord my 5 yr old son takes after his mom.

EDIT: “Marley and Me”

Good catch, I was wondering why this movie would prompt that reaction?

71. slopitch says:

This is what I would do one June 11. Subject to change…

Hamilton doesnt want a bridge deal. Chirelli texts him daily telling him about the future that is the Edmonton Oilers. Strong arm Boston into a Hamilton trade. Schultz, 16th and next year 1st for Hamilton (can you get Louie Eriksson somehow)? Trade Drai+Pitlick for Seth Jones. Buy out Nikitin. Find a way to move Ference. Trade 33rd + 93rd for Talbot.

Pou-Nuge-Ebs
    Hall-McJesus-Purcell
    Pakarinen-Lander-Yak
    Kilnk-Gordon-Hendricks

Hamilton-Jones
    Fayne-Klefbom
    Marincin-Nurse
    Davidson

Talbot
    Scrivens

That D is locked and loaded for 10 years. So are the forwards. Good teams are built backend out. Chirelli knows this.

Its summer let me dream… lol

72. slopitch says:

Id also bring Horc back at 2 years x 1.25.

73. Jon K says:

RexLibris: PleasePleasePLEASE let the next words out of his mouth be “you can’t have a bunch of defenseman all making $5 million dollars” or that they are looking to “challenge” him.

I would cry from the sheer joy of it.

– Nothing has indicated they are intending to rebuild
    – They have a strong but aging core and are probably looking to contend until the end of Chara’s contract
    – They need to shed salary desperately

From that, we could probably assume that they would prefer to negotiate a trade rather than allow an offer sheet. Compensatory picks won’t help them to compete during their 3 year window.

Looking at all of that, I would suggest Boston would want:

– A defender in his prime to help bolster their defense immediately
    – To move out a bad contract with Hamilton, if possible
    – A value replacement for the bad contract

My best guess?

Klefbom, Yakupov or Draisaitl for Hamilton and Lucic.

I don’t know if I could stomach that.

EDIT: I meant that to be Klefbom + Yakupov/Draisaitl.

74. RexLibris says:

Bag of Pucks: A few years later I’m with my young family on a camping trip. We’re packing up and I slam my hand in the suv door. Compress the crap out of a couple fingers, split one wide open. Anyhoo, I’ve still got a canoe to pull out of the water and strap to the roof, a task my petite wife and 5 & 7 year old lads are no help with. So I grit the teeth and get it done and then jump in the passenger seat so my wife can drive me to the hospital. My youngest upon watching all of this turns to his brother and says, “you realize we can never cry again!”

Great story. I sometimes wonder if the role of Fathers is to teach their children about endurance and stoicism by routinely injuring themselves. Meanwhile Mothers get to pass along lessons via advice and affection. Lucky sods.

75. RexLibris says:

Pouzar: I walked out on “Molly and Me”.

That’s okay. I walked out on Desperately Seeking Susan. But those were different circumstances.

76. Hammers says:

G Money:
    This gives me confidence in the Chia regime:

At least his priority is correct . Goalie 1 St D 2nd . Hopefully it’s AHL evaluations 3 Rd . You need to know what you have in the system before adding new picks .

77. RexLibris says:

Jon K: So, if we realistically think Edmonton could get Hamilton, we should consider Boston’s situation.

– Nothing has indicated they are intending to rebuild
    – They need to shed salary desperately

Looking at all of that, I would suggest Boston would want:

– A defender in his prime to help bolster their defense immediately
    – To move out a bad contract with Hamilton, if possible
    – A value replacement for the bad contract

My best guess?

Klefbom, Yakupov or Draisaitl for Hamilton and Lucic.

I don’t know if I could stomach that.

You could then move Gordon and a pick for a goalie, as has been mentioned here earlier.

If you really want to go all out you could try and move Draisaitl to Arizona for their 3rd overall to take Hanifin (Hanafan, Hanafinn, Hinifan…). Then you’ve got RNH, McDavid, Lander, Soderberg, Yakimov, followed by Hall, Pouliot, Svechnikov (14th overall pick), Eberle, and Nurse, Klefbom, Hamilton, and Hanifin on defense.

You’ve given up a lot at forward to make it work, but the defense, if signed wisely, could see you through a decade or longer and the center depth is solid with very good to elite-level wingers.

78. Halfwise says:

Bag of Pucks: So I grit the teeth and get it done and then jump in the passenger seat so my wife can drive me to the hospital. My youngest upon watching all of this turns to his brother and says, “you realize we can never cry again!”

Great story, smart kid.

I used to use the Mike Ditka line on my daughters: “pain don’t hurt”. Fifteen+ years later I broke my collarbone playing oldtimers hockey and got myself to the hospital with it.

The Emerg Nurse asks how I’m doing and I tell her about Mike Ditka, and that maybe he was wrong, because it seems that pain DOES hurt. She thinks for a moment and says, “well, it doesn’t hurt US.”

Priceless moments.

Edit: Just saw Rex’s comment.

79. Bag of Pucks says:

RexLibris: What?! And you couldn’t bring yourself to use the line “pain don’t hurt” in that moment? The perfect opportunity to drop a Roadhouse line and you missed it!

If you’re ever given the choice between laceration or squashing the hell out of something, “I’ll take laceration for $500, Alex” every time.

80. Doug McLachlan says:

Woodguy,

So Boston is asking Hamilton “to prove himself”. Of very MacTavish of them. Wow!

I love the hardball but does this ever actually work with players who are well represented and know their worth? I sure helps build a wedge between the player and a certain tier of the fanbase who start to buy into the “overpaid” narrative.

Dumb, dumb, dumb.

Here’s hoping Chia will help us exploit the dumb in others. It would be a welcome change of pace.

81. Hall Awaits says:

Rumors or not I’m absolutely loving all this news of Edmonton management looking in all the right places.

If the summer brings Soderberg, Michalek and a Talbot and they offload some dead weight, I’ll be ecstatic. Hamilton seems like a dream.

But a guy can dream damnit!!!

82. Richard S.S. says:

Lowetide

Did you do something bad or did you change your staff? Your podcasts stopped downloading after the 9th, Tuesday. You do too good a job to be inaccessible.

That’s magic LT, I don’t know how you do it. The 11th loaded, but the 10th vanished.

83. commonfan14 says:

Pouzar: Gone-Yay!!!!!!

His glorious tenure with the franchise should not go without commemoration.

Also – Purcell must be incredibly bummed these days.

84. Bag of Pucks says:

Halfwise: Great story, smart kid.

Priceless moments.

Edit: Just saw Rex’s comment.

Broken collarbones. Man, now the childhood memories are coming out.

My cousin and I were skating at a rink by his house. We must’ve been 10 or 11 at the time. And this older bully kid is picking on us big time. So we leave the rink and go tobaggoning on this big hill nearby. A little while later, we’re at the top of the hill getting ready for another run and we see the bully walking across the base. So I push off with the express intent of torpedoing this kid. My cousin fights me on the reins the whole way down, the bully sees us and tries to evade, and we still hit him dead on. Break the kid’s ankle AND my cousin’s collar bone. My Aunt was furious. Wasn’t allowed to see my favorite cousin for over a year.

Many years later, we’re at his wedding having a few and I bring this up wanting to apologize yet again. He laughs and says don’t bother, it was totally worth it to get that guy.

85. Ducey says:

That Remmerde article is interesting.

He had for the WHL: 1. Luke Schenn 2. Myers 3 Colten Teubert 4. Zach Boychuk 5. Dalpe 6. Pickard 7. Kyle Beach 8. Eberle 9. Colby Robak 10. Ennis 11 Sbisa 12. Jyri Niemei 13. Wudrick 14. Colbourne 15. Holtby

He had Schultz at 19 and Travis Hamonic at 30.

I wonder how other would do a redraft now. I’d say 1. Myers 2 Eberle 3. Hamonic 4. Ennis 5. Hotlby

He said this about Teubert (sigh)

Colten Teubert / Regina Pats WHL
    D-R / 6-3.5, 185 / 08-Mar-1990

Skating: 75 / Skill: 60 / Sense: 55 / Compete: 65 / Tough: 70

Strengths: Terrific skater. Angry, mean, and wants to hurt opponents.

Weaknesses: Will need to learn to play more positionally sound in d-zone. Not as much progress offensively as I’d hoped this season.

Competes physically. You can’t teach the kind of aggressiveness he has. Very good strength despite slight build, should get even stronger. Underrated puck skill. Needs to improve defensive reads, especially in transition. Aggressive style leads to a lot of chasing in d-zone. Some have questioned his hockey sense, but I don’t see a problem with it.

Summary: Big, aggressive defender who can skate = very good NHLer.

Target/Want: Forget pounding a fist on the table, I’d flip the whole table over to get this guy. I love this player. He should go about 8th overall, but will probably slip until the teens.

And this about Ebs:

Jordan Eberle / Regina Pats WHL
    C-R / 5-10, 174 / 15-May-1990

Skating: 60 / Skill: 70 / Sense: 60 / Compete: 30 / Tough: 45

Strengths: Great sniper’s touch. Knows how to find scoring chances. Quick hands. Will take a hit to make a play.

Weaknesses: Casual player – effort level is never there. Tends to stick to the perimeter.

One of the best natural goal scorers in the draft. I’d like him a lot more if he ever broke a sweat. Skating seems alright, but almost never uses what speed he has. I’ll say one thing for him, he’s not scared. I’d rather have a lazy player than a scared one.

Summary: Light a fire under him and you might have a 1st/2nd line scorer.

Target/Want: Would think about him late in the 1st if other players I like are gone. Hard to find this kind of scoring touch late in the 1st.

86. Магия 10 says:

commonfan14: I hope the Lightning will do the classy thing and have Sam’s name put on the Cup if they win it.

His glorious tenure with the franchise should not go without commemoration.

right next to basil.

87. misfit says:

Jordan:
    Wow.

I recall michalek being good, but that bubble in that quadrant…

Dreamy.

Could Michalek partner with Fayne for the toughs?Is that realistic?

Michalek – Fayne
    Klefbom – Schultz
    ???? – Marincin
    Nikitin

Michalek has had great possession stats going back to when he was first acquired by PHX and has always seemingly played in that upper left quadrant. With that said, it’s important to note that in the case of the chart above, almost 80% of the games that make up his stats were with another team, so it’s hard to put much into the Vollman. If he’d played in all 82 games with the Blues, he’d likely still be in the top left, but likely with less separation and his bubble would be a different size, and possibly a different colour as well.

He and Fayne are both RHS and play the right side, but I don’t see any reason why they couldn’t form a shut-down pairing together. Of course, I’d rather just use one in the shut-down role and have the other as a mentor and safety net for one of our many youthful LDs on a pairing that sees less severe zonestarts and a lower quality of competition.

88. rickithebear says:

wheatnoil: I can’t find anything that does a WOWY QoC. Own the Puck has a lovely new feature that allows you to look at player’s cumulative impact on line-mates over the years of his career, adjusted for zone starts (but not competition). You can go there and look up anyone.

Look up Ference. http://public.tableau.com/shared/HJB57RSDN?:display_count=yes

Nikitin looks a bit better.

Fayne has been solid until this past year, but even then, nothing like Ference.

For fun… look up Jagr… he’s a machine. A MACHINE!!

The regression of petry to a Worse O/ Worse D player makes the trade of him sound.

Paul Martin
    1st comp is a Better O/BetterD target
    Bellimore
    1st comp WorseO/ Better D strong box protect d needing an offensive partner.
    Ehrhoff
    does not improve the unit D but sure drives offence. Better O/Avg D
    Oduya
    1st/2nd generates great unit defence but has shown a decline in player offence.
    Sekera
    1st 2nd comp better O/ avg D drives offence like Erhoff
    Michalek
    1st comp drives D but requires a Offensive Partner.
    Chara
    AVG O/ better D. last 2 years a decline in drivigng offence.
    Hamilton
    1st Comp drives O/drivesD a recuction in offence reflective of poorer forward finish.
    Wizniewski
    2nd comp slightly drives offence/ slightly drives Defene
    Matt Irwin 3rd comp
    does not affect Defence or offence.

Our Team
    Benoit Pouliot Drives Defence and offence
    ————————————————————————– drives the ship
    Klinkhammer Drives D and offence choked by ZS.
    Gordon drives Defence and slight offensive reduction solely to DZ starts
    Hendricks drives Defence and slight offensive reduction solely to DZ starts
    ————————————————————————————————— defends the wall
    RNH does not affect Defence but drives offence
    Hall sklightly reduces defecne but drives offence
    Eberle slighltly reduces defecne but drives offence
    ———————————————————————– dominate offensive affect
    Purcell improves offence no affect on D.
    Roy does not affect Defence drives offence.
    Lander an improved D affect and a trend to improved offence. needs real NHL teamates.

Of the 10 viable role driven Forwards 6 were brought in by MacT 4 were drafted
    Pitlick has shown a defensive ability but lacks Offensive results. Likley a futere DZ player.
    PakarinenShows a defensive affect and needs more offensive chances

Marincin drives pocession turnover and defends the box needs a strong offensive partner
    Klefbom is an offensive and defensive driver of the play but needs NHL d partners..
    Fayne 1st comp Is a break even stablizing def D.
    Nikitin 1st/2nd trends a slight increae in offence and defence

The go away list
    —————————————————————
    Yakupov is a defensive and offensive boat anchor
    Matt fraser a regression in defence and reduces offence
    Ference reduces defence and offence in a 1st comp role.
    much better results in 2nd comp
    Schultz Minimal offensive affect and is a defensive boat anchor. thoughthe uptake in defensive and offensive results was under Nelson.

One look at these charts you can tell there affects and the quality of teammates.

89. BOLD OVER (5-14-6-1) says:

Woodguy: I always feel like less of a man around these people and I’m no shrinking violet.

My Dad turns 86 in a few days. He is not on any medications. His blood pressure, cholesterol and blood sugars are all in the range of a much younger man.

He was born in a log cabin (no shit), raised on a homestead where he worked mornings before school, and then after as well (only did 8 years of school). They didn’t have a lot of food back then, but what they had was real food.

He left the homestead at about 16 years old, but the homestead has never left him. He worked hard every day of his life, right into his 70s.

But here is the oddest thing about him: He has only ever hurt his back once. They had a rather large dump of snow last winter, and he pulled some muscles trying to dig a path out to the car.

90. Dashingsilverfox says:

It appears Portland may be a dark horse in a Coyotes relocation scenario.

Portland has an NHL ready arena owned by Microsoft co-founder Paul Allen….who also owns the Seattle Seahawks, the Portland Trailblazers and part of the Seattle Sounders.

91. judgedrude says:

Back to Mr. Dougie,

Maybe somebody else thought of this, but would a 2-year “show me” offer sheet make sense?

Year 1 – 2 million
    Year 2 – 8 million

Given the average salary (5million) that would be a 1st and a 3rd draft pick compensation. The interesting thing happens on negotiating the next contract, and maybe the Bruins don’t like that 8 million qualifying offer.

92. leadfarmer says:

judgedrude,

5 mil avg salary. Why wouldn’t Boston match that?

93. Pajamah says:

Dashingsilverfox:
    It appears Portland may be a dark horse in a Coyotes relocation scenario.

Portland and Seattle could both likely support a team, and there would be an instant rivalry. And Bettman would still get his expansion money for one of the franchises. Or move the Coyotes and plan for an expansion in 2018 for 2 more western teams (the Pac. Northwest city that doesnt get the Coyotes, and Las Vegas). $1B in expansion revenue for the league, and the Coyotes in a healthier market. 2 divisions of 16.

Win Win.

94. meanashell11 says:

Bag of Pucks: They’ll get there.

Last time I cried was when Roli got run by his own D back in ’06!

95. RENNAVATE says:

We’re still telling young boys that crying is something to be ashamed of? For shame. I thought we had moved past regressive and harmful gender policing, but I guess not. Crying is healthy and a great outlet.

Bag of Pucks: They’ll get there.

96. Richard S.S. says:

Since it’s taking so long to fill out the Staffs of everyone concerned, is this just a normal new people settling in routine or is there someone on Chicago’s or Tampa’s team they want?

97. Pajamah says:

RENNAVATE:

Crying is a mechanism for babies that haven’t mastered speech. Once you can verbalize your feelings, crying becomes unnecessary.

You can feel something without projecting it onto others.

Grow up and stop trying to play social justice warrior.

98. vishcosity says:

RENNAVATE:

That moment of political correctness is hopefully over. Can we stop talking about how we think others should act and feel and instead let a guy do what he thinks best?

Loving the trade target series. Great links today.

99. TheOrangeDesk says:

Pajamah: Crying is for when you cannot cope. I’ve seen plenty of people who choose not to cry, but are completely emotionally healthy, and well adjusted.

You can feel something without projecting it onto others.

Grow up and stop trying to play social justice warrior.

wel said!

that being said, when did this become Dr. Phill’s blog? I’m here for hockey!

100. Bag of Pucks says:

RENNAVATE:

I think my post makes it very clear that my wife tries to provide the boys/young men with an alternative perspective.

At the end of the day, they are who they are and most men will resist the urge to cry.

For me, it’s a thin line between ‘healthy outlet’ and ‘blubbering idiot.’ jmo

101. Showerhead says:

You can feel something without projecting it onto others.

Grow up and stop trying to play social justice warrior.

I don’t doubt that there are tons of well adjusted people who don’t cry.

I also don’t doubt that there are tons of well adjusted people who do cry.

Black and white arguments on this front are a pointless waste of time and, in my opinion, show an awful lot of prejudice both pro- and anti- tears.

I’ll add one more thing. If you want to start a search for people who aren’t emotionally well-adjusted, look for people who were made to feel deep shame for some element of who they are. Whether a person believes in something as trivial as crying or not, the best thing you could do for that person is treat them decently.

I get that this is kind of like a locker room in here but part of growing up is treating people decently who believe different things than you do.

102. Pajamah says:

and back to hockey….

The best part about this off season is obviously the lottery win, but I am optimistic and encouraged by the targets that this blog sees, and how well they line up with what we are hearing from the Dregers, MacKenzies, and LeBruns.

The Woodguide says Talbot, within a week, we hear Talbot, Gibson are being asked about

Lowetide and friends say Hamilton, again, shortly after we hear Chiarelli has been tossing the idea around.

Now we hear Soderburg say the name of our fair city, and we rejoice.

*knocks desk 3 times, spins around*

“The Oilers should really target Cary Price”

…………and now we wait.

103. Dashingsilverfox says:

Pajamah: I’d heard this bandied about when Seattle was originally in talks to get a team.

Win Win.

Agree completely.

The rivalries between Seattle, Portland and Vancouver would be huge.

Of course, a Pacific Division including Vancouver, Seattle, Portland, San Jose, Los Angeles and Anaheim would likely see one of Calgary or Edmonton moving to the Central Dvision or, perhaps. both if Dallas also moves into the Pacific.

104. Jordan says:

misfit: Michalek has had great possession stats going back to when he was first acquired by PHX and has always seemingly played in that upper left quadrant.With that said, it’s important to note that in the case of the chart above, almost 80% of the games that make up his stats were with another team, so it’s hard to put much into the Vollman.If he’d played in all 82 games with the Blues, he’d likely still be in the top left, but likely with less separation and his bubble would be a different size, and possibly a different colour as well.

He and Fayne are both RHS and play the right side, but I don’t see any reason why they couldn’t form a shut-down pairing together.Of course, I’d rather just use one in the shut-down role and have the other as a mentor and safety net for one of our many youthful LDs on a pairing that sees less severe zonestarts and a lower quality of competition.

So, I’ve seen a few comments about this so far today.

Michalek is RD.

Fayne is RD.

Marincin is LD.

Kelfbom is LD.

Could we actually have 2 pairings of top 4 defenders, just by signing Michalek?

3-4 Klefbom – Michalek

3-4 Marincin – Fayne

Then we just need to find a way to send two of FNS to anywhere else (I’m going to bet is Ferrence and Schultz because I think they will be easiest to move) and then….

5 – 6 Nurse – ???

7 Nikitin

Man… I can’t help but think how much I wish Petry was signed with Nikitin’s money. Even some of Schultz’s! He would look dreamy in our lineup…

Oh Craig… if only your bold was accompanied with an ability to evaluate defensive talent.

105. Showerhead says:

Pajamah:
    and back to hockey….

Now we hear Soderburg say the name of our fair city, and we rejoice.

*knocks desk 3 times, spins around*

“The Oilers should really target Cary Price”

…………and now we wait.

Since I prefer to talk about hockey, I’ll quote you on this one too. In short, I completely agree.

It is mind boggling how different it feels to be an Oiler fan this summer than any other that I can remember. Instead of reading about how MacT or Tambellini or Lowe are going to gamble on someone’s reclamation project, we’re hearing about players like Talbot, Gibson, Hamilton – guys you can actually count on to do the job that they’d be asked to do.

Night and day.

106. Pajamah says:

Dashingsilverfox: Agree completely.

The rivalries between Seattle, Portland and Vancouver would be huge.

Calgary, Edmonton, Winnipeg, Minnesota, Chicago, St.Louis, Dallas, Nashville.

I like that better, although Minnesota, Chicago and St. Louis just replace the 3 extremely good Californian teams.

If the Oilers regain respectability, and Dallas’ defense is as good as they look, there could easily be a 5 way battle for the last wildcard spots in a couple of years.

107. gangplank says:

Woodguy,

neither fayne nor Michalek is a puck mover I would them rather be on separate pairings

108. Магия 10 says:

Showerhead:

It is mind boggling how different it feels to be an Oiler fan this summer than any other that I can remember. Instead of reading about how MacT or Tambellini or Lowe are going to gamble on someone’s reclamation project, we’re hearing about players like Vanek, Heatley, Hossa – guys you can actually count on to do the job that they’d be asked to do.

Night and day.

Fixed that for you.

109. Pajamah says:

Showerhead,

Or hearing nothing until you watch Oil Change and see Tambo do a dance because they managed to sign Cam Barker.

Smart scouts, and good analytics will tell you who to avoid, and again, most people here saw Ference, and Nikitin for what they were. God help us if this team goes after Barrett Jackman.

110. Showerhead says:

Магия 10: Fixed that for you.

edit to clarify:

I see Vanek as a good player but not at all worth what they offered.

I see Heatley as someone who completely fell off a cliff (although the trade cost wouldn’t have been as painful as the Vanek signing).

I see Hossa as someone who has been elite for a very long time.

So that’s why I’m not sure what point those three names are supposed to make – I see them as different from each other outside of name recognition.

111. Магия 10 says:

Showerhead: I’m not sure if I follow you. We probably have different impressions of Vanek, Heatley, and Hossa. Is your point that Edmonton has, in fact, hunted for real names before?

If there is a night and day difference, I hope it is that Chia will not go as far as a four first rounders for Hamilton like Lowe 2.0 did for Vanek. Lots of singles and doubles are fine until an opportunity opens up to spear a CFP like Lowe 1.0.

112. GCW_69 says:

slopitch:
    Id also bring Horc back at 2 years x 1.25.

Brining back Horcoff on a deal longer than one year is foolish. He’s over 35.

113. Showerhead says:

Магия 10: If there is a night and day difference, I hope it is that Chia will not go as far as a four first rounders for Hamiton like Lowe did for Vanek.

For me, Vanek was always going to be good but was never as strong of a bet to be what Edmonton needed.

114. TeeVee says:

Pouzar: I walked out on “Molly and Me”.
    Thank gord my 5 yr old son takes after his mom.

EDIT: “Marley and Me”

115. Doug McLachlan says:

judgedrude,

I believe the rules require that the distance, from year to year, is no more than 35% and that the highest year to lowest has to be 50% or less.

So if you want $8 as your final year your first year would need to be closer to $6 on a two year deal.

116. Магия 10 says:

Showerhead: Oh. Then I’m with you on that. My feelings on a Hamilton offer sheet are very mixed. On one hand, I do think he is the player we all hope he is. On the other, the cost would be awfully dear.

Fan exuberance about hunting big names is fine. As long as Katz isn’t sucked back to whale hunting. He needs to leave his new team alone. How the owner behaves is the night and day difference we are looking for. It is instructive to recall that the Vanek offer sheet was executed when the EIG board was meddling with Lowe’s extension and pushing for a whale or two to replace the CFP sized whole in the franchise. That’s the event horizon between sniper Lowe 1.0 and crazy Lowe 2.0.

117. Dashingsilverfox says:

Pajamah: Calgary, Edmonton, Winnipeg, Minnesota, Chicago, St.Louis, Dallas, Nashville.

It would be great for Winnipeg to be in the same division since they have a natural rivalry with Edmonton and Calgary.

118. Pajamah says:

Dashingsilverfox,

Only if it is renamed the Smythe Division though.

119. BOLD OVER (5-14-6-1) says:

Pajamah:
    Dashingsilverfox,

Only if it is renamed the Smythe Division though.

It would be a cryin’ shame if they don’t name it the Smyth division.

120. GCW_69 says:

I wonder if the 2016 1st, Yakupov, and Marincin for Hamilton gets it done?

It’s a steep price, but if it allows the Oilers to sign Hamilton at $6m x 8 years rather than payimg the extra dollars per year then it’s worth the price.

121. Jon K says:

RexLibris: Yesterday I proposed the idea of Yakupov, Marincin and the 16th for Hamilton, Savard, rights to Soderberg and the 14th as an option. They get a winger and young defenseman as well as cap relief, the Oilers get a defender, move up in the draft, and a good chance to sign Soderberg.

Yeah I saw that yesterday as well. Personally, I just think that Boston is in win now and therefore the 16th won’t be much incentive for them.

Regarding Marincin, if Boston is unwilling to pay their young, elite talent as he should be due to some perception of “softness” or whatever, I tend to think they won’t like Marincin either. At least that’s the impression I get, it’s probably all just negotiating tactics.

Thinking about it, Boston likely has no intent to move Hamilton. They know he’s an elite player and they want to retain him. They probably even agree that on a long term deal he’s in the $7 million range. The problem is that they only have 2-3 years to compete, they’re against the cap, and they want him to delay being paid with a bridge contract “for the team”.

That’s all it really comes down to, Hamilton’s cap hit for the next 2 or 3 years. They’ll pay him, they just are hoping to maybe save some space off their cap within the current window. As Lambert pointed out over at ON, the most obvious solution is to just sign him long term and find the money elsewhere. I’m almost certain they can get above value for Lucic from someone like Philly.

122. Pajamah says:

Jon K,

If Boston’s options are keeping 2 of the 3, out of

Chara
    Lucic
    Hamilton

Then its a very easy decision for Sweeney/Neely to make.

123. B S says:

Pajamah,

Lucic?

That’s what the Oilers would have done. (boy it feels nice to say that in past-tense)

124. Jordan says:

GCW_69: Brining back Horcoff on a deal longer than one year is foolish. He’s over 35.

Especially for a player that never should have left to begin with. Horcoff has a lot of what this team has been missing since he left.

A really good 13th forward? That can do anything you ask? on a reasonable deal?

Pfft. Who wants that guy on your team. LOL.

125. vishcosity says:

So I tried photographing the Condor’s stadium. We were passing through anyway and it sounded fun. In their office I gave Kevin Bartl (Condor communications director) our card, was carrying camera gear and said that I wanted to photograph their stadium for this Edmonton based blog. He said they already had a photographer and would be happy to pass along some marketing photos.

Begrudgingly he showed me their unlit stadium and said he did not want to help us capture an exterior photograph of the building (for free).

So I’ve since tried to get the Condors to deliver to Allan some of these marketing photos. Today (almost a month after my initial request) I got an email back with one “marketing” photo attached. It was called _MN9944, 8.4M, 4288 x 2488 (?), unbranded except “crowd shot, arena shot”, had no date or game information, and was so incredibly over exposed that the lines in the ice aren’t remotely visible at all.

He reitterated that they already had a photographer at every game and again that “access” is given only to “accredited” photographers. All he knows about me is that I’m from Edmonton, run a California based photography company, and wanted to shoot (for free) for an NGO marketing his organization (for free).

Honest question for the group:

In life, after stumbling upon such a smart man in such a room, is there anything one can do other than just walk away? If not just quit entirely, what would you do?

126. BOLD OVER (5-14-6-1) says:

vishcosity,

You might take some photos in a different arena, and then send them back their pic with yours. If they care at all, they’ll notice the quality difference.

But in a half century or so, this is my go-to phrase:

Never argue with an idiot. They’ll drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience.

127. GCW_69 says:

Jordan: Actually, bringing any player who can play and mentor and play any forward position for less than 1.5M is a great plan.

Especially for a player that never should have left to begin with.Horcoff has a lot of what this team has been missing since he left.

A really good 13th forward?That can do anything you ask?on a reasonable deal?

Pfft.Who wants that guy on your team.LOL.

You don’t sign over 35 guys to multi year deals. You give them 1 year deals because otherwise even if they retire or wind up in the minors it counts against your cap. I have no issue bringing Horcoff back on a cheap deal so long as it’s one year only.

He is 36 years old and will be 37 at seasons start. You 100 percent sure he will be effect when he is 38 in year 2 of a 2 year deal? If you can see the future that clearly, you should be getting rich at the track.

128. RexLibris says:

Bag of Pucks: Well, in fairness, I did have other things on my mind. That compression hurt like a bitch.

Yep, good times.

Before I had the stones I would have doctors or nurses ask me “on a scale of 1 to 10, how much does it hurt?” I might say 7 or 8, depending on the problem.

After the kidney stones? I’d amend my answer to a 4 or 5.

129. Магия 10 says:

Moving the yotes and adding a franchise only takes the pacific to 8 and the league to 31. While that allows edm/cal to swap with colorado, I suspect the NHL only does that if team 32 goes into vegas. but i don’t see the league doing vegas and portland and seattle.

130. Bag of Pucks says:

RexLibris: More than half a dozen kidney stones and various other experiences that hurt enough to make my vision actually go dark/red.

Yep, good times.

After the kidney stones? I’d amend my answer to a 4 or 5.

Well that’s put me off drinking milk for the rest of my life!

131. RexLibris says:

Bag of Pucks: Well that’s put me off drinking milk for the rest of my life!

The key is water. Lots of water.

132. frjohnk says:

Yep, good times.

After the kidney stones? I’d amend my answer to a 4 or 5.

6 kidney stones?

Son of a……!

I had 1 just a couple of years ago. My kids ears heard every profanity known to mankind in the English language.

Even threw in some Ukrainian ones for good measure.

Didn’t help with the pain.

133. Ca$h-McMoney! says:

Hockey
    Whiskey
    Memories of our Loved Ones
    Coffee
    Kidney Stones

“Lowetide.ca – It just keeps getting weirder”

134. Dashingsilverfox says:

Ca$h-McMoney!:
    Hockey
    Whiskey
    Memories of our Loved Ones
    Coffee
    Kidney Stones

“Lowetide.ca – It just keeps getting weirder”

Steak.

You forgot steak,

135. Магия 10 says:

Dashingsilverfox: Steak.

You forgot steak,

And a beer
    And another one

136. jake70 says:

Wow, just listened to that young lady Coyotes fan ripping into the mayor and council of Glendale at last night’s meeting. Worth a listen.

137. slopitch says:

With regards to Horcoff, I agree one year is a better option.

138. Bootstrap Effexor says:

To really dial in the “inability to cope” you have to put a certain type of man into a small room crowded with leaky eyeballs.

Inability to cope will helplessly avert his eyes in seventeen different directions, none successfully.

139. gr8one says:

This please.

The forward corps he mocks up is very similar to one a suggested recently except I had Setoguchi instead of Winnik and Klink in the Moss spot. I also keep forgetting about Pakarinen, I have a feeling he’s going to have a great camp and make things super interesting.

Love it.

I’m not as in love with the D corps he lays out since I’m pretty unfamiliar with Ekholm and I’m still pipe-dreaming about a successful Hamilton offer sheet,and I know some will have aneurysms re: slotting Franson as a 1D and paying him 6m per, Iike Franson but that’s scary…but not that much.

140. Klima's_Bucket says:

BOLD OVER (5-14-6-1): It would be a cryin’ shame if they don’t name it the Smyth division.

Cryin? There’s no Cryin in Baseball…or on LT’s wonderful site.

141. Pouzar says:

TeeVee: At the end of Marley and Me I went and hung out in the kitchen for a few minutes.

Bless yer heart.

142. stevezie says:

Speaking of tough old men, I have this grandpa, see? Typical old Mennonite, just lives to work. Grew up farming, trucking, and working as a janitor on the side. When he was 75 he was in a terrible car wreck. The doctors told him to take a minimum of two weeks off of work. He took one to morn his beloved Tempo and her 800000 km (he dreamed of a million) and went back to work.

At 85 he finally retired to look after grandma, who isn’t doing so well. Now he’s 87.

Last weekend we visited him at my aunt’s house in Wabamum, where he lives since he lost his license and left the senior’s home in disgust.

“Well grandpa.” we said, “When you turned seventy you climbed Whistler’s Mountain, top to bottom. When you hit eighty you went from the tea house to the mountain peak. Soon you’ll be ninety! We need to think of another great feat for you to accomplish (he’s still in great shape)! What do you want to do for ninety?”

The tough old-timer did not hesitate.

“What? What do I want to do? Be dead, is what I want to do! Trapped here, at the end of the world… I wish I was dead right now! Well, wait, no, that’s not true. Someone has to take care of her (indicates a smiling grandma who is not following the conversation). I hope she dies soon, and then me right after.”

There’s probably a lesson in there about defining yourself by your work.

P.S I have also been dumb enough to put a nail right through my hand. You’d be shocked at how little that hurts. Makes for cool pictures too.

EDIT: I hope this story comes off as funny, not just dark.

143. theres oil in virginia says:

stevezie: I hope this story comes off as funny, not just dark.

I laughed quite a bit.

Your grandpa is a smart man. This world is not currently constructed for immortality. I’m sure you get tired at some point and are ready to have an end. RIP (emphasis on the R) isn’t without meaning.

Thanks for sharing that, I love these stories.