The anticipation of the 2015 draft is alive and well in Edmonton. It’s like the humidity during a hot August afternoon without a cloud to hide behind and one wonders if the Oilers can deliver anything close to expectations. Seriously. It’s important to remember that no matter what happens at the draft and in free agency, there are a lot of NHL teams poised to have better seasons than Edmonton in 2015-16.
REASONABLE EXPECTATIONS FOR FRIDAY NIGHT, JUNE 26
- Lots of excitement building throughout the day for Oilers fans and wall to wall discussion of Connor McDavid and every little thing about his past and future. We can expect Peter Chiarelli to march onto the podium with a cast of old plus new Oilers and announce Edmonton’s most brilliant No. 1 overall selection.
- The post selection conversation (should Sportsnet choose to do it) should revolve around rumors pertaining to the No. 16 overall. We should expect Peter Chiarelli to say nothing.
- No. 16 overall should be a tense, fascinating and exciting few minutes. I think Edmonton makes the pick but that depends on the feeding frenzy. We should expect the Russian Svechnikov, the fantastic Q blue Jeremy Roy or the brilliant Swiss sniper Meier. I don’t think the Oilers draft any of the two-way types (Harkins, Eriksson) this early and if there is a trade it has to be for a defender.
REASONABLE EXPECTATIONS FOR SATURDAY MORNING, JUNE 27
- No. 33 overall. If the Oilers haven’t added a defenseman yet, they’ll use this pick for one. If they’ve added a defenseman on Saturday but no goalie, expect this trade to be dealt. I’ll guess they use this selection on a defenseman like Noah Juulsen, Jakub Zboril or Oliver Kylington.
- No. 57 overall. This could be anything but at this point we could see a goalie chosen and that my friends could be anyone. I’ll guess Daniel Vladar but it’s only because I like him so much.
- No. 79 & No. 86 overall. There’s going to be a lot of quality left on Edmonton’s list (the one described by Bob Green in the JG article I linked to this morning) of 50 best, suspect Ethan Bear and or Blake Speers will have fallen this far and they’ll be strong candidates for the Oilers by this time.
A lof of picks belong to Edmonton right now, doubt we see them use all the selections. The Oilers need to stock up though, that 2014 draft isn’t going to deliver much in the way of signable players (and none for next spring unless KevEN Bouchard channels his inner Daniel Bouchard).
ELLIOTTE FRIEDMAN ON A DOUGIE HAMILTON OS
- Friedman:“I think you kind of look at it this way – If you want to do it, you do it and then you figure it out later on. Don’t forget, Nurse and Draisaitl – those guys aren’t going to be in that situation for three years. You have time to do things if you want to do things. There’s no question about that. The way I kind of look at it is you have to take care of your own business first and you can sort out problems later if you want to sort them out later.” Source
Damn straight. Not a word out of place.