OILERS ACQUIRE KORPIKOSKI, TRADE GORDON

The Edmonton Oilers traded Boyd Gordon today, a move we discussed as being possible (but more likely toward the deadline, in-season). The return is a fast, two-way winger who fits ‘the Pisani’ player-type we’ve also been discussing since forever. Korpiskoski is 29 in a month, has two more years at $2.5M and can play all three forward positions.

His ZS’s (46%) suggests a defensive role but his possession numbers last season (Corsi for 5×5%=44%) were not strong.

VOLLMAN SLEDGEHAMMER

VOLLMAN SLEDGEHAMMER  ARIWhy would Chiarelli do this? Well, there may be a center he likes and McLellan was unlikely to use Gordon in the same tough ZS manner that Dallas Eakins used him. They get an extra year, a two-way type, save $500,000 a year and the coach will feel way better throwing Korpikoski over the boards (as opposed to a rookie like Leon, or a slower winger like Matt Fraser).

NO idea what they’ll do at center but they’re going to add someone.

As for Korpikoski, I like the player a lot, always have. He’s maybe a little shy offensively, but he can scoot, is a veteran and can play a variety of spots in the lineup. One thing I believe for certain: This increases the chances of Shawn Matthias being added tomorrow.

364 Responses to "OILERS ACQUIRE KORPIKOSKI, TRADE GORDON"

« Older Comments
  1. Romulus Apotheosis says:

spoiler: ???

Matheson quite obviously was speculating.

2. Dicky94 says:

He is going after Eric Stall.

3. Richard S.S. says:

When Todd McLellan was hired as Head Coach of the Oilers, Boyd Gordon didn’t have a job here. I thought that was obvious. I apologize for thinking everyone had figured it out.

4. spoiler says:

Martin Jones gets 3 X $3M per BMc.

5. pocession charge says:

Kmart99:

Giordano(undrafted): 0.22 p/g
    Weber: 0.19 p/g
    Suter: 0.18 p/g
    Burns: 0.17 p/g
    McDonagh: 0.15 p/g
    Reinhart: 0.14 p/g
    Chara: 0.12 p/g

Wow. So you’re saying there’s a chance?!!

6. spoiler says:

Romulus Apotheosis: You don’t think it would be funny for the Oilers to acquire Gregory Campbell, given they employ Dellow?

You’re going to have to refresh this old fart’s memory. I have stats.hockeyanalysis painted on the inside of my eyeballs this week.

7. striatic says:

Kmart99: Dougie Hamilton: 0.41 p/g

How Calgary pulled off getting this guy at the price they did is beyond me.

Ridiculous.

8. Snowman says:

square_wheels:
    godot10,

Or Fehr. But my issue is if Lander really is the player we seen under Nelson things are going to get crowded at C.

When have we ever had C depth that it’s become an issue though ? Good problems to have.

You can never have too many centers. Its impossible.

9. rickithebear says:

Kmart99:
    One of the things you always hear is that there aren’t 30 #1 d men in the league despite there being 30 teams each with their own #1 dman.IMO that’s because you should be looking at D the same way you look at playoff and non playoff teams.

If there are 16 playoff teams, then there are likely 16 # 1 D men in the league at any given moment and16 # 2 d men in the league.What I wanted to do with this was take the 32 best overall d men in the league and compare their draft +1 and draft +2 NHLE p/g numbers to those of Nurse and Reinhart.

Nurse captained the best team in Jr.and was+18.
    According to his coach he had the ‘Toughest Zone starts and highest qualcomp in the OHL.’
    He wasn’t on the ice for a single EV GA for the entire WJC this past year. They won gold.
    He’s jam packed with ‘saw him good’ moments. But i’ve heard people, Ray Ferraro in particular, say that his offense is shy… but is it?

What i’ve done below is taken the averages for Draft+1 p/g and Draft +2 p/g (that’s all we have for Nurse), and shown it as either NHLE pulled from here (http://www.behindthenet.ca/projecting_to_nhl.php) or actual NHL numbers since that’s what we have, for the top 32 dmen in the league + Nurse and Reinhart.All these numbers are done for each player at the same age so there won’t be any issues regarding the NHLE at different ages.
    The reason was just to see how Nurse’s offense is tracking since we are already pretty sure his defense is going to be top shelf.

Keith: 0.74 p/g
    Pietrangelo: 0.29 p/g
    Josi: 0.29 p/g
    Brodie: 0.27 p/g
    Nurse:0.25 p/g
    Phaneuf: 0.25 p/g
    Bouwmeester: 0.25
    A Greene: 0.25 p/g (had to use draft age +3 and +4)
    Shattenkirk: 0.24 p/g
    Byfuglien: 0.24 p/g
    Brodin: 0.24 p/g
    Seabrook: 0.23p/g
    Kronwall: 0.22 p/g
    Giordano(undrafted): 0.22 p/g
    Weber: 0.19 p/g
    Suter: 0.18 p/g
    Burns: 0.17 p/g
    McDonagh: 0.15 p/g
    Reinhart: 0.14 p/g
    Chara: 0.12 p/g

So, as we can see here, at the draft +2 point in development, Reinhart’s offense is way behind the top d men, and Nurse’s is just below average.

I didn’t include purely offensive guys like Mike Green and Wideman because they are too one dimensional and I wanted a list of two way guys that bring it all. Maybe you could argue Letang is a one way guy, but other than that I’d say this list is pretty fair.

If our evaluation of Nurse’s defense is accurate, and I think it is, I’d say he’s tracking to be a #1 d man defensively, and a #2 offensively.Not too shabby.

EVP/gm?
    PPP/gm?

10. spoiler says:

Pierre LeBrun ‏@Real_ESPNLeBrun · 4m4 minutes ago
    Bill Daly on NY Post report regarding Coyotes moving to Vegas: “The most ridiculous and irresponsible story I have ever been … (con’t)

“… associated with. Has never been contemplated or discussed. Not even notionally.” end quote

…………………

Okay so that’s a lock.

11. spoiler says:

Ah emails, that’s right.

Stop making me think dammit. I’m focused on players featuring the letter “K”.

12. Kmart99 says:

rickithebear: EVP/gm?
    PPP/gm?

I didn’t split up EVP and PPP, just lumped them. Primarily because i’m lazy and super busy. So, for Nurse’s case, we know that after SOO acquired Deangelo, Nurse was bumped off the powerplay, and his OZSs were reduced even more.

Things like this will affect the overall nbrs, but whatevs, I just wanted to shed some light on the whole ‘Nurse doesn’t have the offense to be a top pairing d man.’ thing.

13. Ryan says:

Snowman: Actually no this doesn’t look like a MacT move to me. He was pretty good at bringing in role playing forwards. Gordon, Hendricks, Klink, Pou, Gordon were all decent MacT hires. His problem was evaluating D. I don’t get this move but I’m not willing to say this has anything to do with MacT or anybody else.

Chia Pete is pulling the levers.

Shuffling bottom of the roster players when there are bigger priorities… Trading centers for wingers… We’re in Mact’s wheelhouse…

14. Kmart99 says:

pocession charge: Wow.So you’re saying there’s a chance?!!

Precisely!!! He’s basically tracking to have more offense than Chara so how can we expect any less right? RIGHT?

Dashingsilverfox: Waxing very poetic…..

“mettle”

He’s a Finn.

Its Metal.

16. Dashingsilverfox says:

pocession charge: There is likely enough evidence to convict him in a civil suit or have any employment or sponsorship contract terminated.Only a criminal charge are you innocent until proven guilty.

Someone would have to file a civil suit and seek damages
    Since his wife is refusing to testify against him, who would that be exactly?

magisterrex: #IsMental?

#IsFinn

18. Snowman says:

Ryan,

If you think MacT is still making trade calls at this point there is nothing anyone can say that will change your mind so… Fill your boots!

19. Dashingsilverfox says:

spoiler:
    Pierre LeBrun ‏@Real_ESPNLeBrun· 4m4 minutes ago

“…associated with.Has never been contemplated or discussed.Not even notionally.” end quote

…………………

Okay so that’s a lock.

Haha…Bettman and Daly have been whistling past the graveyard for more than a decade.

I’d put the odds of the story being true at above 50-50.

20. spoiler says:

Woodguy: He’s a Finn.

Its Metal.

Hard to believe our resident “English Prof” missed a pun.

21. striatic says:

RPG:

Interesting article.

Tlusty very underrated, principally because for a brief moment he was severely overrated. He’s good though.

22. spoiler says:

striatic: Tlusty very underrated, principally because at brief moment he was severely overrated. He’s good though.

And he’s also not a UFA anymore. 🙁

23. pocession charge says:

Dashingsilverfox: Someone would have to file a civil suit and seek damagesSince his wife is refusing to testify against him, who would that be exactly?

I wasn’t insinuating that a specific person was going to file a civil suit, only that there is likely enough evidence to be convicted in such a case (if you believe the police report).

24. Tire Fire says:

Clues about this inside joke for the unwashed masses?

25. Kmart99 says:

Nurse’s offense to this point is at the high end for #2 dmen on playoff teams and just a few spots below the top 16 dmen. So offensively he’ll likely never be a #1, but when you add his defensive accumen to the equation, being a #1/#2 on a playoff team is definitely in his sights.

26. pocession charge says:

Snowman:
    Ryan,

Ryan is still waiting on that Yakupov trade I think 🙂

27. G Money says:

Re: Fehr. I posted his profile because it fits the parameters of what we suspect Chia is looking for as part of the template for the Oilers.

Several folks rightly expressed concern about the cost.

I share the concern, but the reason I float the name is in the vain hope that Chia has already had conversations with the UFAs he wants to bring on board, and has paperwork (at reasonable $) ready to go.

That’s what I hope anyway.

Someday I *hope* that we’ll have a GM that we don’t have to wait for a secondary trade in order for a primary trade to make sense. We’ll just go “hey, that makes a lot of sense, that’s a great trade!” the first time.

Or alternatively, I *hope* that this GM does in fact have a number of cards (Sekera and Fehr, long term at bargain dollars! Yeah, that’s the ticket!) up his devious lawyerly sleeves, and we’ll all be shocked and amazed and we’ll never fail to trust him again.

28. Магия 10 says:

godot10: With Voynov, he has to be presumed innocent until proven guilty.

Total Speculation mode ON:

If Richards is taking OxyContin, and the Kings doctors’ don’t know about it, then Richards may be in material breach.Richards defense against trafficking may have to rely on personal usage of OxyContin with a valid prescription.

The cba and substance abuse policies are in the wsy.

29. G Money says:

One thing you *cannot* say: Chia dithers.

30. oilersfan says:

I always thought fehr was a winger? He was drafted as one…

Oilogosphere.com ‏@MyOilogosphere 18m18 minutes ago
    Korpikoski played through a high-ankle sprain this past season. Korpikoski’s agent says he’s in Finland & “training like he’s an animal”.

I have no idea as to the veracity of the above statement.

I have asked the poster to let me know his source, but haven’t heard back yet.

If true it wouldn’t surprise me.

Finns tape up 3rd degree tears, rub dirt on broken bones, and pull spears from their chests in order to take the next shift.

32. Kmart99 says:

striatic: How Calgary pulled off getting this guy at the price they did is beyond me.

Ridiculous.

Madening. Absolutely madening. Had Dougie just waited until tomorrow he would have been offered over 7.3M…. the mind boggles.

33. Ryan says:

Snowman:
    Ryan,

What would lead you to presume that you know what I’m thinking from reading what I write?

Shuffling the bottom of the roster… Drafting the consensus number 1 OV pick..trading for a former Oilking…trading centers for wingers…

None if these things scream Chiarelli is pulling the levers. :).

34. oliveoilers says:

Магия 10: The cba and substanceabuse policies are in the wsy.

Said Jarret Stoll.

35. V.XIV.VI.I says:

Turns out his nickname among Coyotes fans is “Korpse”.

36. LMHF#1 says:

G Money:
    Re: Fehr.I posted his profile because it fits the parameters of what we suspect Chia is looking for as part of the template for the Oilers.

Several folks rightly expressed concern about the cost.

That’s what I hope anyway.

Someday I *hope* that we’ll have a GM that we don’t have to wait for a secondary trade in order for a primary trade to make sense.We’ll just go “hey, that makes a lot of sense, that’s a great trade!” the first time.

Or alternatively, I *hope* that this GM does in fact have a number of cards (Sekera and Fehr, long term at bargain dollars!Yeah, that’s the ticket!) up his devious lawyerly sleeves, and we’ll all be shocked and amazed and we’ll never fail to trust him again.

You give Fehr the opportunity of a one-year deal and playing with either McDavid or RNH at least some of the time. That’s a great way to earn a longer big dollar salary.

37. RexLibris says:

Lowetide: his shooting percentage will regress to the lutefisk

Fixed.

38. Snowman says:

Ryan,

Like I said: Fill your boots!

39. wheatnoil says:

Korpikoski – Even-strength Scoring (war-on-ice):

Year – P/60 – Shooting %
    08/09 – 1.27 – 10.34
    09/10 – 0.86 – 8.93
    10/11 – 1.99 – 16.25
    11/12 – 1.73 – 10.48
    12/13 – 1.16 – 8.06
    13/14 – 1.39 – 8.05
    14/15 – 0.78 – 1.54

He had two years where he scored like a top 6 forward. One of those years was buoyed by an above-average shooting percentage. The rest of the years he’s scored more like a 4th liner or worse. This last year, obviously, he shot absurdly low, his track record isn’t fantastic, though not terrible. I don’t think we can expect more than average 4th line scoring though.

Corsi (even-strength):

Year – Corsi% – Corsi-Rel% – Zone Starts (rel to team)
    08/09 – 46.4 – -7.80 – -11.90
    09/10 – 45.1 – -8.49 – +7.20
    10/11 – 45.6 – -6.08 – -0.46
    11/12 – 46.0 – -5.38 – -0.02
    12/13 – 49.4 – -2.73 – -2.49
    13/14 – 46.4 – -5.32 – -9.00
    14/15 – 44.0 – -5.97 – -4.78

So, his possession numbers have been poor relative to his team in every season of his career. Now, he did have some defensive zone assignments, so that may account for some of the difference. Next up, I’ll try to account for that.

40. Ryan says:

pocession charge: Ryan is still waiting on that Yakupov trade I think

I take a lot of heat for this one. I broke news that Yakupov was being shopped that was shortly thereafter corroborated by the boys from tsn… #imsoconfused

41. G Money says:

oilersfan:
    I always thought fehr was a winger? He was drafted as one…

Don’t know, but he’s listed as a C everywhere that I can find, including the Caps roster and all the UFA analysis articles I read. He also took the second most faceoffs on the Caps last year (52%), so I’d say its pretty definitive that he’s a C!

42. spoiler says:

Dashingsilverfox: I’d put the odds of the story being true at above 50-50.

I expected something more suitable to an idiom of your professed profession, like a reference to a certain line in Hamlet. But I have perhaps spelled idiom wrong.

43. PunjabiOil says:

Oilers apparently hard after Sutter per friend source (who has been accurate in the past on these sort of things).

44. Ray says:

Tire Fire: Clues about this inside joke for the unwashed masses?

The irony is because Dellow broke a story and detailed the evidence regarding Colin Campbell (Greg’s dad and then current suspension guru) not treating suspensions hearings impartially. This is why currently anyone in player safety that has ties to a team can’t rule or consult on hearing regarding said team. Ie Pronger and Philly, now Arizona.

Source is Stephen Whyno, Canadian press via yahoo: https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/news/edmonton-oilers-trade-boyd-gordon-arizona-coyotes-lauri-233730558–nhl.html

The makeover of the Edmonton Oilers is happening one move at a time, as they acquired winger Lauri Korpikoski on the eve of free agency in a deal with the Arizona Coyotes.

Edmonton sent centre Boyd Gordon to Arizona for Korpikoski, who has two years left on his contract at a cap hit of US$2.5 million.

“I really felt Lauri needed change of scenery,” Coyotes general manager Don Maloney said on a conference call Tuesday night. “I think he had gotten a little stale, and I think he’ll be a good player in Edmonton.”

Korpikoski had six goals and 15 assists in 69 games this past season and 68 goals and 91 assists in 469 career NHL games.

The 28-year-old Finn had Edmonton on his list of teams he’d approve a trade to since November, according to agent Petteri Lehto. The organization’s improvements made it an easy decision.

“He’s seeing what’s happening in Edmonton, so it wasn’t any problem, actually,” Lehto said in a phone interview. “He was quite pleased to make that trade.”

Lehto said Korpikoski played through a high-ankle sprain this past season and that his play has been hampered by injuries. He said Korpikoski is “training like he’s an animal” in Turku, Finland, and will be healthy for the start of Oilers training camp.

46. Dashingsilverfox says:

spoiler: I expected something more suitable to an idiom of your professed profession, like a reference to a certain line in Hamlet.But I have perhaps spelled idiom wrong.

Clever…but much too obvious.

Ray: The irony is because Fellow broke a story and detailed the evidence regarding Colin Campbell (Greg’s dad and then current suspension guru) not treating suspensions hearings impartially. This is why currently anyone in player safety that has ties to a team can’t rule or consult on hearing regarding said team. Ie Pronger and Philly, now Arizona.

There was also a an email where Campbell called David Savard “a little faker”

I was the first response to that post.

Good times.

48. Halfwise says:

Tire Fire: Clues about this inside joke for the unwashed masses?

Not a joke at all. Colin Campbell (yes, that Colin Campbell, NHL Senior VP and discipline guy and ex Oiler D) was leaning on officials to give his son Gregory a break.

Dellow exposed the email trail. Some drama ensued.

Edit: I see Ray beat me to it.

49. Kmart99 says:

For anyone asking ‘Is Nurse our man?’
    I think the answer is, probably not on his own. Nurse is looking to be a great piece on a top pairing D core that needs someone a step ahead of Darnell in overall ability if this team is to compete for the playoffs and, one day, the cup.

What is Seabrook without Keith?
    Hamilton would have solved this dilemma, Reinhart does not.

Darnell and Oscar are both great, but neither of them is the #1 (or will likely ever be) that this team is going to need. Good luck to you Chiarelli.

50. pocession charge says:

Ryan: I take a lot of heat for this one.I broke news that Yakupov was being shopped that was shortly thereafter corroborated by the boys from tsn…#imsoconfused

No worries. Everyone on this blog seems to have something that they are known for: humour, making bets, measured analysis, trolling, incoherent lists of numbers, strange fascinations with rival hockey teams, etc.

51. Магия 10 says:

The whole thing is weird. Pronger’s locker room time with the Yotes barely adds up to Jones’s with the Bruins.

52. Ray says:

G Money: Don’t know, but he’s listed as a C everywhere that I can find, including the Caps roster and all the UFA analysis articles I read.He also took the second most faceoffs on the Caps last year (52%), so I’d say its pretty definitive that he’s a C!

Fehr was primarily a RW, I think it was Winnipeg, two years ago, that moved him to Centre and he played so well he never went back.

53. Dashingsilverfox says:

Is Korpikoski an upgrade on Matt Fraser?

Asking for a friend.

54. v4ance says:

Woodguy,

Was just about to reply to your query that I posted that link about an hour ago but I was too slow to respond :p

55. spoiler says:

PunjabiOil:

I’ve heard this too. I wonder what the cost would be. Yak would almost certainly be included.

Can we expand it to include Pouliot? (No way they trade Maatta)

56. Halfwise says:

Kmart99:
    For anyone asking ‘Is Nurse our man?’
    I think the answer is, probably not on his own.Nurse is looking to be a great piece on a top pairing D core that needs someone a step ahead of Darnell in overall ability if this team is to compete for the playoffs and, one day, the cup.

What is Seabrook without Keith?
    Hamilton would have solved this dilemma, Reinhart does not.

Darnell and Oscar are both great, but neither of them is the #1 (or will likely ever be) that this team is going to need.Good luck to you Chiarelli.

Seriously, Hamilton was never coming here. You might as well point out to everyone that Doughty is not an Oiler, or Subban.

57. pocession charge says:

PunjabiOil:

Interesting. I wonder if they plan on playing McDavid on the wing this year? Nahhh. Maybe? Nahhh.

58. spoiler says:

Dashingsilverfox:
    Is Korpikoski an upgrade on Matt Fraser?

Asking for a friend.

In a footrace definitely. Question is, is he an improvement on Miller?

59. Ray says:

Woodguy: There was also a an email where Campbell called David Savard “a little faker”

I was the first response to that post.

Good times.

I think this was also part of the “hate” Spec had for Dellow. Because a lowly blogger in his mother’s basement was able to break a story that took down the number two man in the league office.

60. G Money says:

Further to kmart’s posts above, in the comments section of the most recent NerdAlert, kmart has done some outstanding analysis in looking for comparables to Reinhart – and as an added bonus, Nurse.

Highly recommend you give it a read:

61. v4ance says:

Adam Nightingale ‏@ANight92 12m12 minutes ago
    #Oilers and #Blues discussing a trade involving TJ Oshie and Yakupov via source.

Not sure about this….

62. spoiler says:

Is this a Yak auction?

63. wheatnoil says:

(Edit: Continuing on with Korpikoski above. Forgot to mention that!)

One way to account for zone starts is by using the formulas of men and women much smarter than I. Steve Burtch came up with a d-corsi formula than tries to account for usage, including zone starts, face-off wins, team-mates and opposition. Based on all the info, it calculates out an “expected corsi”, which is what an average player would perform given that usage. The d-corsi (delta-corsi) is how far off the the player in question is from what an “average” performance would be. Positive is good, negative is poor.

Year – d-corsi / 60
    08/09 – -11.99
    09/10 – -10.72
    10/11 – -7.93
    11/12 – -7.44
    12/13 – +0.50
    13/14 – -8.43
    14/15 – -7.89

He performed below what was expected based on this formula in every year except for 12/13 where he was pretty close to even.

(Boyd Gordon, for a comparison, was positive during both his years in Edmonton)

64. G Money says:

Further to Wheat’s numbers and the Whyno article comments, I’m at least feeling a bit better about Korpikoski. (Better, not good!)

The huge dropoff from previous years in sh%, pts, +-, do indicate something catastrophic. Barring a previously unknown buddy relationship with Stoll and Richards, the injury story makes sense, he’s too young to be declining already.

65. PunjabiOil says:

According to said source (who has been right various times, including interest in Clarkson well before it was public, and nearly lining up Doug Armstrong to be Oilers GM):

1. Green, Ehrhoff, and Jackman defencemen targets
    2. Sutter is trade target. ”Justin Schultz and prospects in play”
    3. If they strike out on Sutter they will go after Brodziak
    4. Also interest in Glencross.

Posting it here so we have a paper trail.

66. spoiler says:

wheatnoil,

If only we knew whose stats those are lol.

67. oliveoilers says:

v4ance:
    Adam Nightingale ‏@ANight9212m12 minutes ago

Not sure about this….

Yak and one of their nice D perhaps…

68. spoiler says:

Does Bra and Panties have anything on tonight?

69. Kmart99 says:

Halfwise: I’m still trying to get over the failure of the Coyotes to follow Verdad’s suggestion to trade OEL here. Adding the failure of Oiler management to get Hamilton is almost too much for me to bear…

To say Hamilton was never coming here is sort of an obvious statement now that it’s over, but while the dealings were going down and Chiarelli offered more than CGY i don’t think it was all that bad to have thought there was a chance.

Hamilton was closer to being an oiler than subban or doughty ever were.

I imagine Sweeney had to talk it over with everyone and say’ Look, Edmonton is offering more than CGY, and it’s in our best interest, but how about we say screw you Chiarelli? and send Dougie to CGY anyway?’

I can’t imagine that Boston didn’t at least CONSIDER the better offer.

70. Магия 10 says:

v4ance:
    Adam Nightingale ‏@ANight9212m12 minutes ago

Not sure about this….

71. PunjabiOil says:

Adam Nightingale ‏@ANight92 12m12 minutes ago

Not sure about this….

Concern is he only has 1 year left on his contract, and will want to get paid next summer.

Fantastic player though.

72. pocession charge says:

PunjabiOil:
    ”Justin Schultz and prospects in play”

Wooooooooottt! (been awhile)

73. oliveoilers says:

PunjabiOil:

1.Green, Ehrhoff, and Jackman defencemen targets
    2.Sutter is trade target.”Justin Schultz and prospects in play”
    3.If they strike out on Sutter they will go after Brodziak
    4.Also interest in Glencross.

Posting it here so we have a paper trail.

Punjab, old buddy, old pal, if your source is lining people up to be GM, doesn’t that make him…….Kevin Lowe?

Besides, not to diss your source, but every single move the Oilers have made has been speculated on here at one time or other.

74. Магия 10 says:

PunjabiOil:

1.Green, Ehrhoff, and Jackman defencemen targets
    2.Sutter is trade target.”Justin Schultz and prospects in play”
    3.If they strike out on Sutter they will go after Brodziak
    4.Also interest in Glencross.

Posting it here so we have a paper trail.

n+1. Some other guy who was here before

75. Halfwise says:

Kmart99:

I can’t imagine that Boston didn’t at least CONSIDER the better offer.

I agree. And it’s not as if anyone had a clue before the thing went down.

But it’s been a done deal for a couple of days and imho it’s time to look at what’s next not at what didn’t happen. Your post was bang on other than the Hamilton reference. Good luck Chiarelli indeed.

76. spoiler says:

PunjabiOil:

Adam Nightingale ‏@ANight92 12m12 minutes ago

Not sure about this….

Fantastic player though.

Same with Sutter though.

PunjabiOil:

Adam Nightingale ‏@ANight92 12m12 minutes ago

Not sure about this….

Fantastic player though.

Oshie has two years, no?

78. G Money says:

spoiler:
    wheatnoil,

If only we knew whose stats those are lol.

Korpikoski.

79. spoiler says:

Yes he does.

80. spoiler says:

G Money: Korpikoski.

It’s a hint to edit. 🙂

81. Connorrhea says:

spoiler: In a footrace definitely.Question is, is he an improvement on Miller?

Would K pass thru waivers, if he doesn’t make the roster after camp? $2.5M.

82. Connorrhea says:

Woodguy: He’s a Finn.

Its Metal.

Nice save.

83. spoiler says:

Aaron Portzline has the Jackets trying to re-sign Letestu.

84. AsiaOil says:

Kmart99,

Well I’d certainly take any or all of the last 7 guys on that list along with GR – not sure what this is supposed to prove?

85. v4ance says:

NHL Network is offline or moved to a new channel. Does anyone know what the new channel is or has it been discontinued for good?

86. thejonrmcleod says:

v4ance,

I think I read that the channel was being discontinued in Canada.

87. Kmart99 says:

My question is this…. how are the oilers actually going to get their #1 D?

Trading a core piece?
    Trading 2016 picks midseason?
    FA? none available
    Trading for a cap nightmare? (a la phaneuf)

How damnit?!? how!!?

Would you do Oshie and Shattenkirk ($8.5M) for Yakupov and Fayne ($6.125)?

89. Snowman says:

Yup.

90. Ray says:

Would you do Oshie and Shattenkirk ($8.5M) for Yakupov and Fayne ($6.125)?

Yes. Every day of the week and twice on Sundays. Probably ask for Michalek’s rights in the deal too

91. Psyche says:

I like it better if it was Schultz instead of Fayne.

92. striatic says:

Kmart99:
    My question is this…. how are the oilers actually going to get their #1 D?

Trading a core piece?
    Trading 2016 picks midseason?
    FA? none available
    Trading for a cap nightmare? (a la phaneuf)

How damnit?!? how!!?

All of the above, clearly.

Trading a core piece and 2016 picks alongside a UFA acquired this summer for a cap nightmare #1 D at the trade deadline next season.

93. spoiler says:

I think we should be going after Rutherford in Pitt. He’s under a tremendous amount of pressure, has repeatedly lost his cool with the media there, has made some dubious moves….

Identify the bad GMs, fleece the bad GMs, as Woootguy would say.

94. McSorley33 says:

Fehr and Brodziak are way to Slow…..

Connorrhea: Nice save.

I can also read price books upside down.

Career sales.

96. striatic says:

yep. I love Yakupov but Shattenkirk is too perfect for the Oilers and Oshie is an adequate replacement.

97. Kmart99 says:

AsiaOil:
    Kmart99,

Willis had posted an article on ON a while back basically saying that GR’s offense was a concern and likely meant that he’ll never be a top pairing d man. I wanted to see how he stacked up against all the #1 and #2 d men in the league (offensively).

There are a large number of players throughout the league that would have landed at or around the same spot as GR on that list but aren’t worthy of top pairing minutes, but the higher you move up the list, the fewer the amount of players in the league there are at that point. This implies that GR is likely never going to be a top pairing d man in the NHL.

He simply doesn’t have the offense to be a top pairing d man in the NHL.

His defensive game might allow him to end up one day as a #3 at EV strength, or maybe, if everything breaks right, a #2 at EV strength, but the odds are against him.

All this does is further support the idea that GR has a ceiling at second pairing d man, even at EV strength and not PP.

98. Alsker says:

Is this a trick question…ooooh helllll yesssssssss!!!!!

99. Goilers says:

FYI Josh Winquist reupped in Bakersfield

100. Магия 10 says:

You’d think it was the trade deadline tomorrow reading the comments here.

101. Kmart99 says:

striatic: All of the above, clearly.

I wouldn’t be shocked if that’s how it played out.

Yak and Jultz for Oshie and Shattenkirk right now though !! whoohoo!

102. spoiler says:

Would you do Oshie and Shattenkirk ($8.5M) for Yakupov and Fayne ($6.125)?

It would have to be Yak and Schultz, wouldn’t it?

103. Chris says:

On the Richards front even if he is eventually charged, presuming as is being reported that it was for possession of oxy its really doubtful he’ll see any jail time. Richards has sufficient means, that it’s entirely credible that if he wanted recreational drugs he wouldn’t have found himself in exactly the same position as Stoll. If its oxy he either didn’t have his prescription on him or has developed a dependence on pain killers as a result of his injuries and may be self medicating. I doubt he’d be convicted of anything more than probation even if it was proven that he illicitly obtained oxy.

With respect to the trade I’m fairly meh. If we adequately fill the hole at centre I’m okay with it. If we don’t I’m not. I can see wanting to move on from Gordon as he’s got a lot of miles on the odometer and he’s expensive for a checking center.

104. pocession charge says:

Магия 10:
    You’d think it was the trade deadline tomorrow reading the comments here.

I’m not sure if Omark and a 7th could get OEL but it’s worth a shot. Make it happen Chia!

Just getting warmed up now.

105. Ray says:

Jultz and a pick for B. Sutter is just the kind of trade Rutherford would make. Tie that with a St Louis trade and holy crap would this team look different.

On a related note, does anyone else feel like it Christmas eve? Anyone. Ok then, back to reality.

106. Snowman says:

pocession charge,

It would have to be Omark and a 6th for OEL+ I think right?

107. McSorley33 says:

LMHF#1,

Eric Fehr would be a time zone behind McDavid…..

108. spoiler says:

Ray:

New Year’s Eve. Christmas was last Friday. Unfortunately Santa visited Calgary too, the bugger.

Goilers:
    FYI Josh Winquist reupped in Bakersfield

Beauty. I wish they had given him an NHL deal, though.

110. wheatnoil says:

More on Korpikoski:

Additionally, I looked at Scoring Chance differential and High Danger Scoring Chance differential from war-on-ice and I won’t post it all here, but Korpikoski shows poorer relative to his teammates in every single year.

I also looked at WOWY analysis. This was perhaps the MOST striking.

In the last 5 years, there have been 45 non-goalie players that have played at least 50 minutes with Korpikoski (that’s a pretty low bar to cross).

Using zone-start adjusted numbers, 43 out of the 45 performed better away from Korpikoski than with!

To repeat, all but two players in the last 5 years have had better possession numbers away from Korpikoski!

Those two players (hilariously) are: Eric Belanger and Rob Klinkhammer!

Now, I know Woodguy doesn’t like the zone adjusted numbers. So, fair enough, we look at straight even-strength corsi WOWY, 42 out of the 45 performed better away for Korpikoski. In this case, the three exceptions? Belanger, Klinkhammer, and one Boyd Gordon. It’s kind of funny.

111. pocession charge says:

Snowman:
    pocession charge,

It would have to be Omark and a 6th for OEL+ I think right?

Yes that sounds more accurate. And possibly work a deal with Sweeney — Kale Kessy and Ference for Bergeron (I wonder how far off I actually am on this one).

112. V.XIV.VI.I says:

Would you do Oshie and Shattenkirk ($8.5M) for Yakupov and Fayne ($6.125)?

“Acceptable”. Trading potential for need. Feel bad for Yak though. Few places worse than under Hitch’s wing.

113. striatic says:

Shattenkirk is only 26 and entering his prime. He’s been very much sheltered but he’s also been extremely dominant in that sheltered role and could be ready to take the next step into a feature role.

He isn’t a sure thing #1 D acquisition but he is among the best bets in the league to take that next step and I’d be surprised if the Blues really have him on the block but if he is, damn, roll the dice on that guy.

114. Goilers says:

Bob Green loves him, I think there is some loyalty there. We are definitely cheering for the kid!

115. pocession charge says:

V.XIV.VI.I: “Acceptable”.Trading potential for need.Feel bad for Yak though.Few places worse than under Hitch’s wing.

San Diego Gulls.

116. Магия 10 says:

pocession charge: I’m not sure if Omark and a 7th could get OEL but it’s worth a shot.Make it happen Chia!

Just getting warmed up now.

Get off my lawn

117. Dashingsilverfox says:

He’d get the “Pajaarvi Bums Rush”.

118. spoiler says:

striatic:

He would be a much more effective shot from the point on the PP than Schultz.

119. spoiler says:

Jim Matheson ‏@NHLbyMatty · 14m14 minutes ago
    Did Oilers get Korpikoski because they felt he was better than Klinkhammer as 4th line winger? Maybe, but he’s way more expensive.#oilers.

120. spoiler says:

Anyone feel like Hendricks might be out the door?

121. wheatnoil says:

Goilers:
    FYI Josh Winquist reupped in Bakersfield

That’s great! Just wondering on the source… not seeing it officially announced by Bakersfield yet.

spoiler:
    wheatnoil,

If only we knew whose stats those are lol.

Hah! Thanks. I thought I’d split up the post for readability but kept coming back to it after doing random errands around the house, so it ended up being spread a part by a lot of comments and therefore far less readable!

122. spoiler says:

wheatnoil,

And Mr. Bermuda himself…

Eric Belanger ‏@belly2020 · 14m14 minutes ago
    @NHLbyMatty I played a bit with him in Phoenix i was good loved playing with him. He can move up and down the line up. Give him a chance.

123. Tire Fire says:

Ray,

Woodguy,

Halfwise,

Thanks for the info guys, guess I missed that story the first time around.

124. Ray says:

spoiler:
    Jim Matheson ‏@NHLbyMatty· 14m14 minutes ago

125. wheatnoil says:

All in all, with Korpikoski, I’m not sure he’s a great add. He has a history of scoring but hasn’t come near his high 3 years ago. Even if he rebounds from this last year, his scoring is pretty low for a $2.5M price tag for two more years. He’s been a possession black hole for his whole career, even accounting for his usage. Players seem to do better without him than with him that’s consistent for the last 5 years.

We’ll see who the Oilers bring in as a Gordon replacement, but Korpikoski doesn’t seem like a fantastic add on the face of it. I won’t lose sleep over it, but I don’t think this is a great bet.

wheatnoil:
    More on Korpikoski:

I also looked at WOWY analysis. This was perhaps the MOST striking.

Those two players (hilariously) are: Eric Belanger and Rob Klinkhammer!

Playing the tough zone starts for Tippett will slaughter your corsi.

127. striatic says:

spoiler:
    Anyone feel like Hendricks might be out the door?

Martin Jones signs for $3MM x 3 years.

In the last two season (minimum 1000 min to qualify) Jones ranks 4th out of 60 goalies in adjusted save percentage.

If you remove his first 7 games, that drops to 45/60.

Will be interesting to watch.

129. Klima's_Bucket says:

Martin Jones was traded for a first today and signed a 3×3 contract.
    Talbot was traded for 3 late picks.
    Sure hope the Oilers can get him locked in to similar numbers if he has a solid start to the season.

130. dangilitis says:

spoiler: It would have to be Yak and Schultz, wouldn’t it?

Now you’re just being greedy

131. dangilitis says:

striatic: He might have some value if so. Actually managed to take a step forward on the Oilers last year and that’s saying a lot. People around the league likely noticed especially with the WC invite.

Hendricks’ value has never been higher. Trading him now makes more sense than Gordon, but I can appreciate that they may be targeting another center.

132. wheatnoil says:

Woodguy,

He didn’t play the tough zone starts every year of his career. See my other comments above. He had a negative rel-corsi even in years when his zone starts weren’t crushing. His d-corsi doesn’t save him either. Other posts are linked below.

wheatnoil,

wheatnoil,

133. dangilitis says:

Woodguy: wheatnoil:
    More on Korpikoski:
    I also looked at WOWY analysis. This was perhaps the MOST striking.
    Those two players (hilariously) are: Eric Belanger and Rob Klinkhammer!
    Playing the tough zone starts for Tippett will slaughter your corsi.

True, or have the Oilers truly figured out the Belanger triangle?

134. striatic says:

dangilitis: Hendricks’ value has never been higher.

Probably will never be any higher.

Still, I’d prefer the Oilers kept him.

Despite having some value, any return won’t move the needle very much and I think the team needs a “character guy” like Hendricks. He fills that locker room role and contributes on the ice too. Might as well keep him around unless he is somehow a key add-on to push some other favourable transaction over the top.

135. Old School G says:

I like it. Korpikoski when on his game, not injured, is a sweet complementary guy, in my limited opinion. WG’s comment about the Finns being warriors lit a bit of a fire, not going to lie. Gordon was a sentimental favourite but I get the trade.

I’ll miss Yak, I guess. I hope not, I hate goodbyes.

Chia, Pete is a man of action.

136. Alsker says:

Kmart99: I wouldn’t be shocked if that’s how it played out.

Yak and Jultz for Oshie and Shattenkirk right now though !! whoohoo!

One can dream, so, lets add a conditional pick next year and scrap Oshie for Backes.

137. pocession charge says:

Ray: If this is the case, there is logic here. Hendrix-Lander-Korpikoski is slightly cheaper, definitely younger and possibly a better forth line than Hendrix-Gordon-Klink

That just seems like a huge waste of Lander’s ability. He’s more than a 4C, imo.

138. spoiler says:

Back in the day, didn’t we use to get a flurry of signings by the time the clock chimed 12?

139. Tire Fire says:

In all this excitement, I forgot all about the fact that we got McDavid. Then I remembered. Like Christmas morning!

Woooooooot.

I think Darcy should change his name to WoooootGuy for the rest of this off season (idea stolen from someone else above).

140. TheOtherJohn says:

Wanted to echo all of the most generous comments above with the very kind words for the great job done by Boyd Gordon as an Oiler. He was routinely given incredibly difficult tasks, doing those tasks with incredible grit and stoicism We will miss his hard work, his warrior mentality, the incredible f$&kking shitty zone starts he was given routinely and his fantastical def ZS face off % ………. In fairness he also didn’t piss a drop offensively though either. Wish him every success moving forward!!

Glad he’s going home to AZ to a team and a coaching staff where’s he’ll be appreciated

141. Lucinius says:

I’ll miss Gordon. Loved him while he was here; did what was asked of him and more. I’m betting he’ll like going back to the desert and hopefully he’ll be healthier in the future (sadly, he had been on a career year pace in points last season until the injuries started to hit).

I don’t “like” the trade, but I wager most of that is because of the respect I have for Gordon and what he did here and one of those types who did all the heavy lifting with little to no recognition of his deeds (except here).

Hopefully Korpikoski can rebound here.. and like many others, I assume this is just part of what is about to happen to face-lift the team into Chia/McLellan’s image.

142. Suntory Hanzo says:

We might get Oshie, when I really wanted Ori.

As long as we get one of the 47 Ronin, I’ll be good.

Order a McDavid shirt today. And a Gretzky. And two more McDavids for friends. Lids/Jersey City has Canada Day 20% off online! Only way for me as they can ship to BC stores for free.

All my Canucks friends out here are really quiet. But maybe cuz we have had unstoppable heat for 2 months.

143. NYCOIL "Taking Photos" says:

Connorrhea,

I find your nickname for Korpikoski, which I will not repeat, offensive.

As for the awesomeness of Finns. I am learning from one this week, Arno Rafael Minkkinen, an amazing magician who has taken self-portraits for 5 decades and made it an art form.

144. NYCOIL "Taking Photos" says:

Would you do Oshie and Shattenkirk ($8.5M) for Yakupov and Fayne ($6.125)?

Of course I would. But no chance St. Louis does. None at all. Shattenkirk alone is worth more than Yak and Fayne.

145. misfit says:

Gordon will be missed by this Oiler fan. However, I’m ok with the trade for a couple reasons. One is a Chiarelli/Gryba-like soft spot for Korpikoski. For reasons I can’t explain (in the sense that I don’t really know why myself), I’ve always liked Korpikoski and always wanted to see him on the Oilers. Was a fan of his on draft day as well and still remember that great WJC line he was a part of. gordon’s role is not an easy one and he performed very well in it. It’s truly a thankless job to play that heavy a defensive role and he embraced it fully. But he also isn’t getting any younger and probably wasn’t going to get another extension here. The UFA class has some good young players to fill a 3/4 line C role (I like Letestu myself) and we not only get younger, but add a “Pisani” winger, a Finn, and save some cap space to boot.

I’m also glad that we sent him back to Arizona. I remember him saying when we signed him that he never saw hiself leaving there in the first place, but felt he had a good opportunity with Edmonton. If he wasn’t coming back, I like that we’re sending him somewhere he’ll be happy to return to.

I thought Lander would be the heir apparent to Gordon all along but liked that he would have the year to groom him into that role, but I don’t have a huge issue with it happening early if we don’t end up signing a replacement. I could also see Hendricks moving to C full time.

146. Dashingsilverfox says:

NYCOIL “Taking Photos”: Of course I would.But no chance St. Louis does. None at all. Shattenkirk alone is worth more than Yak and Fayne.

This…by a considerable difference.

147. jm363561 says:

fifthcartel,

That makes sense.

148. CofC says:

Ryan,

You obviously can’t see the big picture…

149. jm363561 says:

spud,

Exactly.

150. RexLibris says:

NYCOIL “Taking Photos”

Why don’t we call Korpikoski K-Car, or KTel?

151. 719 says:

RexLibris:
    NYCOIL “Taking Photos”

Why don’t we call Korpikoski K-Car, or KTel?

K-Pop?

152. Professor Q says:

719:

K-Pass?

The only K-Pax/Hockey wordplay I could come up with on a whim…

153. hoser313 says:

We’ll see how they use Korp.

Not sure he’ll be 4th line.

I think it’s more likely he’s the designated defensive forward on a line with Yakupov or possibly Draisatl.

154. TeeVee says:

@treenasoil has broken her/his silence as of late with some trade spec nonsense. Is it possible he/she is Kevin Lowe?

155. Zelepukin says:

TeeVee:

It’s more possible that they’re just some schmuck on here. I don’t think they’ve ever predicted anything accurate. The dude who does the FakeGM/Chia accounts has more validity than Treena.

156. Younger Oil says:

Thinking about the trade more, the only thing I don’t like about it (if they do in fact find a Gordon replacement) is that we didn’t make the Coyotes retain salary on Korpikoski, especially if they need to reach the cap floor.

Even something like we retain half of Gordon’s for one year, and they retain half of Korpikoski for two years.

157. Old School G says:

Oduya with Fayne would be nice to watch. Oduya with Oscar would be a dream.

Who’s Chia going to trade for our #1D? I kind of think this might happen soon.

158. thejonrmcleod says:

Pierre LeBrun @Real_ESPNLeBrun
    The Oilers will try for a UFA d-man today, they’ve already contacted camps for the likes of Franson, Sekera, Green, among others…

Bob Stauffer @Bob_Stauffer
    Of the 3 D mentioned by @Real_ESPNLeBrun Sekera might make the most sense. Could use a veteran left shot puck-mover on the back-end

The Oilers are targeting the right D, in my opinion.

159. NYCOIL "Taking Photos" says:

thejonrmcleod:
    Pierre LeBrun @Real_ESPNLeBrun

Bob Stauffer @Bob_Stauffer

The Oilers are targeting the right D, in my opinion.

Music! Sekera is this year’s Stralman equivalent, only will be more costly. I think it’ll be a 5-year deal, taking him to 34. That way he can sign one more under-35 contract next time.

160. NYCOIL "Taking Photos" says:

P.S. Happy Canada Day, everyone!

161. PhrankLee says:

I wonder if we can tempt Sean Burke here given that he is packing it up in Arizona..

That would be so good for the team.

wheatnoil:
    Woodguy,

He didn’t play the tough zone starts every year of his career. See my other comments above. He had a negative rel-corsi even in years when his zone starts weren’t crushing. His d-corsi doesn’t save him either.Other posts are linked below.

wheatnoil,

wheatnoil,

The same things and analysis were done on Gordon, and more similarly Hendricks when they were acquired.

Every fancy stat guy (including myself) saw almost every player being worse with Hendricks and thought it was a poor acquisition.

We were wrong.

Shot share analysis on forwards who are tasked to keep the other team off the score sheet misses a lot of nuance imo.

There are issues with the inability to distinguish QC and how coaching (roles) impacts shot share numbers.

Team mate effects are huge too and you have to use a multiple player WOWY to pull out all the effects and even then role/usage is still a huge part.

163. GCW_69 says:

Lander did well playing with skill last year and has struggled historically playing with scrubs, so the Oilers plan is to play him with scrubs on the fourth line? I hope not.

Go sign Goc to play fourth line C and leave Lander at 3C.

« Older Comments