“MY NAME IS CALEB JONES”

The more I look into the back story of young Caleb Jones, the more I like him. He’s confident, self-assured and knows exactly who he is at a very young age.

• Jones: “My name is Caleb Jones. I am Seth’s little brother, but I’m Caleb and I think I’m going to make my own legacy in hockey. Eventually, I want people to just know me as Caleb and not ‘Seth’s little brother.’ Source

Jones’ draft day was a blur and I didn’t have much time to spend on looking at his career and scouting report. The comments section had the same issue—but in fairness to both of us, there was a lot going on that day. Let’s go back to draft day and see what people were saying about young Caleb Jones, and what he does to have earned a ranking inside Craig Button’s top three rounds.

• Future Considerations suggests Jones is a good skater, with enough ability to recover quickly. Smart with the puck, efficient without possession.
  • ISS says Jones improved his game over the last couple of season. He’s good with the headman pass and doesn’t leave the forward exposed. Improved quickness and speed, they also say “good edges” that help him on offense and defense.
  • Black Book got a look at Jones at the 5 Nations Cup and had good things to say. The scouting service noted his impressive positioning on the power play and his dependability in all situations.

Bruce McCurdy filed a report on all prospects from the orientation camp this weekend and had some nice words about Jones

• McCurdy: Caleb Jones (D) is another is at his first pro camp, and it’s a measure of success that it doesn’t really show. He’s held his own, hasn’t stood out. Source
  • Jones on going to Portland Winterhawks: “The ‘Dub’ was just a better option for me. I’m really comfortable with coach (Jamie) Kompon in Portland and his staff. He coached in the NHL, so I trust him with my development to get to the next level. And the game schedule prepares you for the pros.” Source

I’d say (based on what we’re told Caleb Jones is a young man who is developing rapidly as we speak, with at least two more years of real development to go. When things like emerging, developing talent and great strides year over year are mentioned, it’s a positive arrow. He sounds like a two-way blue who will earn his keep (mostly) without the puck. His improved quickness and speed, as noted by ISS, is probably what got him drafted by Edmonton.

The rest is about determination, hard work, development and luck. I love the quote from the player himself above. We’ll get good intel on him this winter, hoping for good news about Caleb Jones.

21 Responses to "“MY NAME IS CALEB JONES”"

1. gd says:

I kind of like having the “chip on his shoulder” little brother of a superstar. It’s going to be weird and kind of fun to actually cheer for Portland this year.

I do like that the Oilers seemed to stay “on track” in the later rounds this year.

2. judgedrude says:

OCamp invitee Cole Sanford has an (Overager) NHLE/82 of 34 if I did it right. I might have missed his name in discussions (he is a bit small), but is that worth a contract at least of the Winquist variety?

3. D says:

Wouldn’t mind if he turned into the next Henri for the currently playing Maurice.

4. John Chambers says:

i would think Caleb has an increased cachet around the league for reasons he shares with Veleri Bure, Brett Lindros, and Jordie Benn.

He might be genuine athletic talent in need of further refinement. For that reason the WHL is an excellent path as he will play a lot of games and see a lot of ice.

If he puts some points and holds his own in the tourneys he might also add good trade value in the mythical 3-for-1 deal. Not bad for a mid-pick.

5. leadfarmer says:

Sorry to bring up the last thread again, but 100 NHL games is nowhere near enough games to count a prospect as a successful pick unless he is a 5th to 7th rounder. Especially not on a basement dweller where tweaners routinely get ice time. That is only playing 2 seasons and not even full seasons at that. The number should change depending on where the pick was taken. For a top 15 pick anything under 400 games is a failed pick in my eyes. That’s 5 full seasons in the league. Even a player of Ryan Jones caliber managed to survive about 300 games.

6. Glovjuice says:

Prediction – bro power gets us Seth in the future !

7. Philosophil says:

LT- the “cheer like hell” list now includes Caleb? Love it. Oilerogosphere needs more positivity.

8. Stelio Kontos (Formerly Zangetsu-Formerly Thinker) says:

Glovjuice,

I think that is a ridiculous point. Maybe I’m a bad sibling, but I would do my best to avoid playing on a team with my older brother. It would just make things weird.

9. Concur says:

It could be easy to predict that he makes it to the NHL, and I would hope for that, but some times the family tree is not as always strong , usually psychologically.

10. Kris11 says:

I always wonder about the value of bloodlines in professional sports. It is predictive of success, IMO, but only weakly. The question is how weakly and how to quantify it.

11. unca miltie says:

gd:

Of course you should cheer for the winterhawk. They are the original OIl KIngs

12. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

Ryan, replied to you on last thread.
    Re: coffee

13. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

Rondo:
    Interesting mock draft especially PAIGIN, ZIYAT

Thanks. Jones ranked higher as well. Nice. The scouting reports make it sound like they almost prefer Eichel over McDavid as a total package.

14. wheatnoil says:

“A versatile two-way defenseman that can fill many different roles and team needs in certain situations due to his workmanlike approach to his position. Possesses a tireless motor and is aggressive on the blue-line. Physicality and board battles are the anchors that hold his game together. Works hard in all situations and is a step ahead in problem solving. Exhibits good mobility, a quick, accurate shot from the point, and an active stick. All-in-all, a heads-up defenseman who plays a solid, smart all-around game. (Curtis Joe, EP 2015)”
    From: http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=60835

15. Halfwise says:

Rondo:
    Interesting mock draft especially PAIGIN, ZIYAT

Nice find!

He responded to a question in the comments with: “I think this draft is the strongest we have seen in some time. Insanely strong on top, and only gradually petering down with potential top-half of lineup guys still available late in the second.”

And with that, he has Paigan at 47 just ahead of Mangiapane. Caleb Jones is 69 on his list.

16. wheatnoil says:

The nice thing for Caleb Jones is that the current log-jam of defensive prospects will have cleared in a couple years once he turns pro.

17. Oilanderp says:

It’s 2021, and boy what a homerun this pick was! You remember Seth Jones, right? Picked 4th overall one year… oh come on man, Caleb’s brother! Yeahhhh! I know I know! Can’t believe we got the good one, and in the 4th ROUND no less! I knew he was gonna be somethin from the start!

*puffs on his cigar and rocks in his chair on the front porch*

18. raventalon40 says:

He’s got the crazy eyes like Beetlejuice!

19. judgedrude says:

Rondo:
    Interesting mock draft especially PAIGIN, ZIYAT

#55 looks like a career minor leaguer from here.

20. "Steve Smith" (formerly Oil2Oilers) says:

judgedrude: #55 looks like a career minor leaguer from here.

Same with number two, to whose name TSN seems to have erroneously added a couple of vowels.