ORIENTATION CAMP GDT: BECAUSE WHY NOT?

It’s finally summer in the land of the ice and snow. What do we do? HEAD FOR THE DAMN RINK! Look, I’m not going to sugar coat this, the whole damn town is crazy. This brings the question: Who cares? It’s Connor McDavid! It’s Leon Draisaitl! It’s Darnell Nurse! It’s Greg Chase and William Lagesson and it’s Ethan Bear and Kyle Platzer.

We also have news! Oilers have filed with Schultz and we’ll see where it goes. As Mr. Rishaug mentions, there’s also a buyout window attached. I imagine Ben Scrivens isn’t the buyout candidate but with today’s trade it’s at least possible. The more likely target (based on what we know) is Niki Nikitin, with Andrew Ference and his prolonged buyout being a curious possibility (it cranks the cap in the McDavid money years). I’ll say Nikitin.

New goalie. Fabulous save.

It would be an unusual combination (Cam Talbot—Anders Nilsson) in that there’s very little NHL experience and we should probably allow for the possibility of three goaltenders to start the year. I’m honestly grasping at straws here but it’s all happening. I’m going to guess trade, make it a three-for-one because I’ve never suggested that one.

Okay, well. Scrivens buyout an option. Huh. Interesting day.

188 Responses to "ORIENTATION CAMP GDT: BECAUSE WHY NOT?"

1. BrazilianOil says:

Driving Play ‏@DrivingPlay 4 minHá 4 minutos
    @TSNRyanRishaug @JonathanWillis scrivens cannot be bought out, AAV has to be over 2.75M
    Ver tradução

2. PaperDesigner says:

I would be okay with a buyout occurring for Scrivens. I don’t hate the idea of him returning as a backup, but what are we spending the cap space on, exactly? Not thrilled if you don’t end up with Franson or Ehrhoff.

Jason Gregor now reporting Scriven’s salary is too low to be bought out, though.

3. Marc says:

One last random thought before bed:

Like an offer sheet, a buyout doesn’t necessarily need to be executed to be an effective tool.

If you had a player with a NMC who was reluctant to waive it because he planned to settle in Edmonton in his career was over, the threat of a buyout and uncertain employment prospects next season might just be enough to get him to change his mind.

On a related note, we know Chicago need D. We know Chicago like veteran D (see Timmonen, Kimmo). And we know that Chia and Bowman have spoken recently.

Hmmmm

4. Halfwise says:

My view: all of this is part of the Ference retirement conversation with Chiarelli.

“Andrew, you’ve been a warrior but you’re done. We have this other role for you, it pays well and it’s in the community, and you can hold your head high but you won’t be playing. Or, we can buy you out. Take your time, maybe get back to me by tomorrow night ok?”

5. Messier11edm says:

I was just watching a recent video of McDavid being asked q’s by the media. All I kept thinking as he was answering the q’s, was how fortunate we are as Oilers fans, and not for the obvious reason. Yes, he’s super-talented, and he could very will be the “next one” , but what is also so truly admirable is his genuine humility. In a world where athletes can be over-taken by the fame, money, and attention, he is as grounded as they come; not just as an athlete but as a human being.

I know we have suffered for nearly a decade, and it’s been even longer than that since we were seriously considered one of the elite teams in the league, but how awesome is it that not only do we seem headed in that direction, but we are doing so with a player that fans and non-fans will all truly respect and admire (even if its very deep down for the non-oiler fans).

6. czar says:

Sportsnet.ca has a live feed of the intrasquad game tonight

7. Connor'sreal says:

Bohologo: Uh, who you guys cheering for?

The fans.

8. Messier11edm says:

czar:
    Sportsnet.ca has a live feed of the intrasquad game tonight

Thanks!

9. BrazilianOil says:

I asked on last post : Is an offer shet to Adam Larson a possibility?

10. Connor'sreal says:

TEAM BLUE

Forwards:

29- Leon Draisaitl

42- Alexis Loiseau

45- Lane Bauer

46- Michael Rebry

56- Evan Campbell

59- Cole Sanford (Injured)

61- Braden Christoffer

Goalies:

50- Zach Nagelvoort

60- Miroslav Svoboda

12. hunter1909 says:

Halfwise:

Chiarelli’s a gent.

Lowe, on the other hand would be orchestrating another of his patented media attacks.

13. Melman says:

Awesome save! Is Talbot now trade bait, or do we need a larger sample size 🙂

14. Halfwise says:

hunter1909: Chiarelli’s a gent.

And if TCAF accepts the offer to retire, then Chia has a buyout card he can play on either Purcell or Nikitin. Personally I don’t see why he would, but flexibility has value.

15. John Chambers says:

I really don’t mind a Ference buyout, even if we carry $1M over 4 seasons, if it enables us to add another quality blue liner that enables the possibility of a post-season appearance sooner than later.

Assuming Talbot provides league-average goaltending, we’re literally one good defenseman away from being a top-10 team in the West.

16. Jon K says:

“Because why not?”

Well it’s certainly not because Oilers.

Or can we now begin to change the meaning of that phrase?

Because McOilers.

17. LOObird says:

A 3 for 1? Can someone fill me in?

18. hunter1909 says:

So.

Before: Oilers run by Lowe+MacTavish(like Delaney+Bonnie, with friends) and Edmonton is on every NTC list imaginable. The city is blamed. The locals feel terrible.

After: Oilers win McDavid. Oiler’s version of the Night of the Long Knives as Lowe/MacT+many of the OBC are removed from their current jobs and in effect pensioned off by their rich bestest buddy ever. Top managers+coaches replace the Iron Pyrite Twins, instantly making Edmonton a top choice for good players.

It’s those locals I feel for.

RE MCDAVID’s gif: I’ll bet the Flame’s have all seen it. Lots and lots.

19. hunter1909 says:

Halfwise: This is gentlemanly. Face is saved, team moves forward. If TCAF refuses to listen, the outcome is the same on the ice but his stubbornness costs him his pride.

TCAF lol.

You’re right of course. Chiarelli’s an outstanding manager.

20. book¡je says:

LOObird:
    A 3 for 1? Can someone fill me in?

It’s when you predict the same thing year after year only to be denied it to the point of mocking your own predictions because they become seemingly preposterous despite sounding reasonable at first.

Or something like that.

21. Halfwise says:

hunter1909: TCAF lol.

You’re right of course. Chiarelli’s an outstanding manager.

22. Gret99zky says:

Present.

BrazilianOil:
    I asked on last post : Is an offer shet to Adam Larson a possibility?

Larsson has filed for arbitration with NJD.

I do not think that you can OS a player who has begun the arbitration process.

24. anonymous says:

A game day blog on orientation camp? This might be the blog equivalent of ” jumping the shark”. The “Mcdavid effect”. Funny to think of how many Dylan Strome/Noah Hanifan blogs we missed out on in another universe.

25. Ryan says:

Halfwise: I’m not saying that is what he will do. But with the cards Chiarelli holds now, and the rules of the game, he could do it and none of us would know whether Ference retired willingly or with his arm twisted.

Last I heard the Oilers are looking for one more coach… Just sayin. 🙂

26. cabbiesmacker says:

This Nillsson trade sure has Everybody’s Talkin.

I wonder if he’ll Jump Into the Fire or be brought along slowly.

I heard one of the reasons his numbers in NY weren’t great was concussion issues after taking a Lime in the Coconut

27. Bar_Qu says:

I’m up from Calgary and am here to take in this game (not the sole reason I’m here).

Pumped to watch some live hockey not starring my 9 yr old – who is the next McDavid of course. 😉

28. MrEd says:

book¡je,

So funny. Honestly. So awesome.

29. Halfwise says:

Ryan: Last I heard the Oilers are looking for one more coach…Just sayin.

Now you’re talking.

Plus, there’s this new arena and downtown redevelopment and community outreach drum to beat. A 35 year old guy could do it without tearing that damaged pec of his. It’s real work (as real as any work relating to the image of a pro sports franchise is real, I mean).

30. Rip Fan Winkle says:

Woodguy: Larsson has filed for arbitration with NJD.

I do not think that you can OS a player who has begun the arbitration process.

31. theres oil in virginia says:

How much does Darnell weigh today!?

🙂

Teams that *may* have an interest in a half price Scrivens:

1) NSH – Current back up is Hutton. Makes $750K so can be sent down with no cap penalty

2) NJD – Kinkaid is back up. Makes $725K. Played very well last year so low probability

3) PIT – Zatkoff is back up. Makes $600K. Not bad either and PIT trying to shed salary

4) WAS – Peters is back up. Makes $900K so can be sent down with no cap penalty.

I don’t see any obvious takers.

Maybe NSH.

They have a lot of RHD too………..

Yak-1/2 price Scrivens and Schultz for Jones or Ellis.

BOOK IT!!!!

(NSH needs C’s more than W though and I aint trading DrySaddle for either of those Dmen)

Rip Fan Winkle: This may be an opportunity along the lines of Hamilton if there is a large space between them.

I like Larsson.

Had a break out half season after NJD changed coaches.

34. theres oil in virginia says:

Connor’sreal,

Jeez dude, it took you two days to come up with a new handle! I expected something crazy within 5 minutes. (And really I was just messing around with you regarding your old handle. Although it was gross.)

35. LadiesloveSmid says:

Woodguy:
    Teams that *may* have an interest in a half price Scrivens:

1) NSH – Current back up is Hutton.Makes $750K so can be sent down with no cap penalty

3) PIT – Zatkoff is back up.Makes $600K. Not bad either and PIT trying to shed salary

I don’t see any obvious takers.

Maybe NSH.

They have a lot of RHD too………..

Yak-1/2 price Scrivens and Schultz for Jones or Ellis.

BOOK IT!!!!

I’d love to book or #confirm or e5 that trade. Maybe it gets Ellis, though if they trade him and his sweetheart contract I think a top 6 centre is coming the other way

36. Rip Fan Winkle says:

When you live under a strict budget you need to conserve every dollar, if you want pretty things.

There are better options than the overpaid older guys. Players that suit the roster better. They should take every chance to change out unproductive salary for efficiency.

LadiesloveSmid: Think Washington signed Grubauer to a one way deal. Peters was terrible and is probably gone.

Ellis is UFA in 4 years.

Schultz and Yak isn’t too far off for value imo.

38. 10W30 says:

Is this DJ MacT on the DJ equipment for the sportsnet feed? The music suuuuuucks

39. hunter1909 says:

At the end of the day it doesn’t matter.

Removing the Sawney Bean Management style of Kevin Lowe, and Craig MacTavish matters.

40. Connor'sreal says:

theres oil in virginia,

Ha – no, I posted with this that day, and had planned on having to change it. As the furor grew over the use of McJayjay, I thought I’d offer something more offensive, but nobody squeaked about it for so long (unless I missed that).

Had my laptop apart yesterday trying to fix a fan issue that’s been creeping up, and I really don’t like posting on my phone.

41. Thor762 says:

I laugh a giddy laugh when I see McDavid skating on Rexall Ice wearing the Oilers crest.

42. rickithebear says:

11-12 AHL season:
    U24 >6’0″goalies
    Owuya (22) .929
    Markstrom (21) .927
    Hutchinson (21) .927
    Lack (23) .925
    Kuemper (21) .923
    Nilsson (21) .921
    Jones (21) .919
    Hackett (21) .917
    Allen (20) .915
    Campbell (19) .912

43. geowal says:

I like how the oilers website initially referred me to a 2013 pre-season tilt between oilers and jets.

44. OilSafety says:

Wooooooooootttttt

45. thepeetso says:

This is ridiculous.

Its July and I’m inside watching a hockey scrimmage . . . on the internet.

46. OilSafety says:

Wow lower bowl only. Thought it would be packed.

47. RexLibris says:

theres oil in virginia: How much does Darnell weigh today!?

Depends.

Are we including the weight of fans’ expectations in that measurement?

48. Derek says:

These Oiler productions always have top notch audio quality.

RexLibris: Depends.

Are we including the weight of fans’ expectations in that measurement?

Darnell Nurse is a rich mans Chris Pronger.

49. Braden88 says:

According to tsn, Oilers signed Nilsson to 1 year 1 way contract

50. MrEd says:

Woot!!!!

errr.

51. geowal says:

Eeeeee!

52. RexLibris says:

MCDAVID!

Man, that feels good to write.

53. vangolf says:

Tears of joy streaming down my face…

54. Derek says:

If hockey doesn’t work out for Ben Betker he can always tryout as a fill-in for the Mountain on the next season of Game of Thrones.

55. Tarkus says:

Evan Campbell’s alive!

And he’s not a horrible shot!

56. v4ance says:

Just in case people want the Sportsnet link

57. RexLibris says:

Derek:

They’d have to switch to a wide-screen format to fit him on screen.

58. Profit says:

McDavid looks like he’s running at 1/3 speed with bursts of 2/3 speed.

Tried to dangle through 4 guys, got poke checked and led to Campbell’s goal.

Must be hard for him to stay sharp for a performance like this after the rush of playoffs/draft/signing.

59. RexLibris says:

SOY!

60. geowal says:

Chase trying to get his buddy signed.

61. MrEd says:

God I hate our horn.
    i think Oil Drums are a better idea.
    Also, I’ve been imagining Slick, The Drip as a Mascot.

62. v4ance says:

White 1-0 McDavid on wraparound after dekeinng past Draisaitl n slot

Tie 1-1 Campbell on a 1 on 1 scored on Naagelvort from the right face off dot low blocker that should have been a save.

White 2-1 Tyler Soy takes a pass in a quiet area of the slot with traffic in blue ice and scores with a quick wrister

63. v4ance says:

Draisaitl with a couple of nice rushes up the right wing. Had a breakaway cutting in from the right with 3 seconds left.

64. Derek says:

Draisaitl pulled away from the defender in 2 or 3 strides there. He’s definitely not slow.

65. theres oil in virginia says:

RexLibris: Depends.

Are we including the weight of fans’ expectations in that measurement?

Yes. But no shoes and nothing in his pockets.

66. LadiesloveSmid says:

Derek:

shades of sutton

67. zatch says:

Lagesson had impressed me very much. Unafraid to get involved and playing well. Chase and also Campbell also seemed to play well. Nurse and Draisatl are beasts and almost have no business being here. Bear plays like he has a chip on his shoulder, as does Jones a little.

McDavid is something else. Just something else. NHL DMen are gonna soil their britches when he comes flying across the line, and well they should.

68. dessert1111 says:

I hope they sign Soy. Not big but skilled and tenacious. No obvious weaknesses aside from size I’m aware of and lots of strengths. Definitely more of a defensive presence than Chase on their line, despite being 2 years younger.

69. LadiesloveSmid says:

Drai has got some speed.

Nurse can really carry the puck. Think Deangelo in Soo was the only thing stopping his offensive game.

Jones had some nice looks.

McDavid looks like he might not want to steal the spotlight, unreal regardless

Betker is big, mean, can really skate, and not bad with the puck. Might be a player there.

Christoffer looked pretty good to me

Nagelvort was quite good but seemed to have fallen asleep on a soft soft goal

70. LadiesloveSmid says:

dessert1111:

I think Soy and Leveille will put up big seasons and get drafted if they aren’t signed. 1 or both of them would be awesome

71. geowal says:

Lallegia has a pretty good stick, stripped McDavid at one point, looks dangerous with the puck, shifty skater..

72. GCW_69 says:

BrazilianOil:
    I asked on last post : Is an offer shet to Adam Larson a possibility?

Sadly not. He has elected for salary arbitration.

Edit – i see Woodguy beat me to it.

73. RexLibris says:

Hilarious watching Svoboda playing baseball.

Not a big sport in the Old Country, apparently. 🙂

74. GCW_69 says:

Woodguy: I like Larsson.

Had a break out half season after NJD changed coaches.

Think they would do Reinhart and Schultz for Larsson?

75. LadiesloveSmid says:

Nice breath of fresh air in that video. I’ve only seen Yakupov, Hall, RNH, Eberle, Klefbom, etc. as names on a screen since April. I really miss Hall burning down the left side or his emotional fist pump celebrations. Eberle changing angles at full speed in the offensive zone. RNH’s sneaky shot. Yak’s child like love for the game.

76. RexLibris says:

I’ve liked Jones so far.

He seems to know the tools he has and makes good use of them. Not trying to be something he isn’t, but playing to his strengths.

77. Rip Fan Winkle says:

GCW_69: Too bad we didn’t have something like the 16th overall draft pick, the 33 rd overall draft pick and Marincin to offer for him.

Think they would do Reinhart and Schultz for Larsson?

Is he that good? I’d rather trade Yak straight up and they save cap, remembering wingers are the easiest to acquire, and they need offense and can handle Euros successfully.

78. MrEd says:

Woot!

79. RexLibris says:

DRAISAITL!

MCDAVID!

Okay, that is freaking hilarious.

Score on me? Fine. I’ll get that back. No worries.

80. spoiler says:

That’s the second time this period McDavid has been caught sleeping defensively. Takes him 10 seconds to get revenge. Pure shinny.

81. zatch says:

Jesus. McDavid gets shoved off by Drai for a goal. McDavid immediately does the same only more impressive off the faceoff. At will. Jesus.

82. Profit says:

On that McDavid goal, it was like… “ok I’ll strip Drai, two steps, Forsberg this thing annnnnd done”.

Wow.

83. zatch says:

Svboda has looked like the best goalie all night. Only GA was no chance on his part.

84. RexLibris says:

PLATZER!

85. Tarkus says:

That tying goal was served up for Kyle on a silver Platzer.

86. v4ance says:

Tie 2-2 Draisaitl goes down right side and easily protects the puck from McDavid. Once he gets past McDavid, he feeds a wide open Loiseau who had snuck behind Nurse for easy tap in.
    White 3-2 Seconds after the tie, Draisaitl takes puck back into his end and is stripped of the puck right in the slot by McDavid. Quick backhand to forehand and then into the net.
    Tie 3-3 After Christoffer takes a shot from the slot, Platzer finds rebound at right side of crease and flips it in.

87. spoiler says:

Lol, Nurse has Bob calling him Draisaitl. Now that’s an offensive defenseman.

88. Kris11 says:

97 might be Sergei Federov transported forward in time. Moves fast without moving his legs. Freaky.

89. RexLibris says:

Nurse – McDavid – Chase – McCarron.

Which on of those is the goal-front presence?

Yep.

90. v4ance says:

4-3 White On PP McDavid from right dot throws it at net with McCarron screening. Puck hits either D or McCarron’s stick and goes five hole.

91. RexLibris says:

Laleggia and Draisaitl are showing some fantastic chemistry so far.

92. RexLibris says:

RANKIN!

93. ashley says:

Nurse skates and moves like CFP. A unique style. Now I’m not saying he’s going to be CFP, and he certainly doesn’t look like CFP, I’m just saying he skates like CFP.

94. v4ance says:

5-3 White Rankin comes in on 2 on 2, cuts from right circle across high slot to left circle and whips a wrister into the net

95. voxwah says:

Correct me if I’m wrong but I don’t think Ference can be bought out. Wouldn’t he have to clear waivers first before he can be bought out? If thats the case he can’t be put on waivers due to his NMC. So no buy out. It’s gotta be Niki

96. LadiesloveSmid says:

Kris11:

I see some Hemmer

97. spoiler says:

Did everyone GET LOUD! at home?

98. Derek says:

ashley:
    Nurse skates and moves like CFP.A unique style.Now I’m not saying he’s going to be CFP, and he certainly doesn’t look like CFP, I’m just saying he skates like CFP.

He also said he models his game after CFP.

99. spoiler says:

ashley:

And CFP is his defensive idol.

100. Doug McLachlan says:

Braden88:
    According to tsn, Oilers signed Nilsson to 1 year 1 way contract

General Fanager has it as one year at $1M leading into an RFA year as per Bob Stauffer.

101. v4ance says:

5-4 White Betker cruises into slot after Draisaitl circles to the left past the front of net with the puck. Drai feeds Betker for goal as defenders chase Leon to the faceoff dot

102. spoiler says:

No one wants to see an Ethan Moreau style scoring chance at a game like this.

103. spoiler says:

Nagelvoort robbing Draisaitl repeatedly.

104. geowal says:

spoiler:
    Did everyone GET LOUD! at home?

Yelling at the tv. But i do that anyways.

105. spoiler says:

Jesus H. McDavid.

106. Lucinius says:

Feel bad for Bouchard.

107. Tarkus says:

That goal was so filthy that I need a bath now.

108. Kris11 says:

Yeah. It’s just. What. Wow.

109. v4ance says:

6-4 White Blue tries to go up ice up the middle but puck is poked to right wing where McDavid picks it up and goes in on uncomtested breakaway from blue line.

7-4 White Chase into empty net

110. G Money says:

Yeesh.

McDavid is crazy fast and skilled.

Draisaitl is crazy strong and skilled.

Nurse is crazy strong and fast.

111. spoiler says:

Sick. Just sick.

112. Halfwise says:

Was I the only one hoping for a shootout?

113. geowal says:

Dirty. And hats on the ice at an intrasquad game.

114. v4ance says:

8-4 White McDavid walks in from right half wall and forehand to backhand and into net
    8-5 White Laleggia takes 2 on 1 feed and pots it from left side going past McDavid
    8-6White Someone scored and it’s all happening too fast to track now :p

115. v4ance says:

McDavid’s 4th goal was shades of Eberle but coming from right side of net instead of Eberle’s left side goals.

116. Kris11 says:

CMD should help in shootouts.

117. RexLibris says:

MCDAVID!
    MCDAVID!
    MCDAVID!
    MCDAVID!
    McDavid. (That’s the assist)

118. geowal says:

Lane Bauer (for last goal to make 8-6)

119. v4ance says:

Draisaitl’s bread and butter move looks like it will be coming down right wing with puck on his backhand while holding off defender with his left arm and driving past for a shot or a pass.

120. flyfish1168 says:

G Money:
    Yeesh.

McDavid is crazy fast and skilled.

Draisaitl is crazy strong and skilled.

Nurse is crazy strong and fast.

The new core?? the others maybe trading pawns in time

121. ashley says:

Derek: He also said he models his game after CFP.

I did not know that.

122. Derek says:

Well that was fun, how long until pre-season?

123. LadiesloveSmid says:

flyfish1168: The new core?? the other s maybe trading pawns in time

when McDavid helps Hall put up 100 we won’t be saying that!

Pittsburgh finally got a W that can carry the load with Geno and Crosby. Take note! Generational centre needs elite wingers for max output

124. Derek says:

ashley: I did not know that.

They had an ask an Oilers segment with Darnell, they actually played it during the first “intermission” where he was asked who he would choose as his D partner if he could take anyone. He choose CFP and said he tries to play the same game.

125. geowal says:

Each player giving away signed hats after game, Mcdavid tosses it over glass and insists it go to the little kid he singled out, pretty cool for that kid.

126. G Money says:

Anyone still watching the feed?

You see the little ‘hat’ move by McDavid?

He singled out a kid for a hat and tossed it to him. Some dick behind him grabbed the hat.

No nonsense: McDavid points at him, eyes go all Messier like, points at the kid, and made sure the kid got the hat.

That was frickin’ awesome.

127. geowal says:

G Money,

Well two of us anyways.

128. JAG-041 says:

Laleggia = Schultz 2.0?
    Kid can skate

129. Derek says:

geowal:
    G Money,

Well two of us anyways.

I saw it too, Mcdavid looked a little snarly there for a second or two.

130. The Hermit says:

voxwah:

Ference can elect to skip the waiver process but he cannot stop the buyout.

131. geowal says:

JAG-041:
    Laleggia = Schultz 2.0?
    Kid can skate

Seems to have a lower lollygag coefficient.

132. spoiler says:

I would be curious to know the percentage of Laleggia’s college goals that came from the slot. I don’t remember him taking a single slapshot from blue line tonight. Anyone else?

133. JAG-041 says:

geowal,

was thinking that too…
    I think Schultz ruined NCAA defensemen for me forever…
    unless Laleggia can fix my broken heart

134. ashley says:

Derek: They had an ask an Oilers segment with Darnell, they actually played it during the first “intermission” where he was asked who he would choose as his D partner if he could take anyone.He choose CFP and said he tries to play the same game.

Ah, I tuned in late. Good for him. Might as well set the bar high and see what happens.

I’m thinking he could use a neck guard or higher shoulder pads or something. I’ve never seen a player with so much neck exposed. I’m not sure the usual quick shrug a player instinctively uses to protect from an incoming puck would provide cover for half that neck.

I’ve also never seen a player with such a muscular neck, so maybe that will help.

What a specimen, physically speaking.

135. JAG-041 says:

spoiler,

Didn’t watch the entire thing but neither do I

He has hands and can skate though it seems…

Was he said to have a clapper?

136. wordbird says:

JAG-041:
    spoiler,

Was he said to have a clapper?

He’s a little young to be catching that sort of thing.

137. till_horcoff_is_coach says:

So who can post the corgis?

Only half joking with this bunch of diehards.

This year is gonna be fun!!

138. JAG-041 says:

wordbird,

you never know man
    it’s happening younger and younger these days…

139. Clay says:

I was impressed by Betker. For such a big guy, he looked agile and had some puck skills. AND, at 230 lbs he looks skinny still. Could end up being a monster size-wise, and could become a very useful player.

Also, Draisaitl. It’s hard not to be a bit giddy at the options this team will be able to throw over the boards in the near future.

A line with Hall-McDavid will be able to out-track-meet anyone who wants to play that game, and a Draisaitl-Pouliot line will be able to play the grind-out cycle game down low. And then there’s the bird-dog witch in RNH. Crazy crazy crazy potential for this team.

140. Romulus Apotheosis says:

“EDMONTON – The Edmonton Oilers have acquired goaltender Anders Nilsson in a trade with the Chicago Blackhawks. Soon after the trade, Nilsson signed a one-year, $1 million contract with the Oilers.”

141. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Romulus Apotheosis:

haha…

“The 25-year-old Nilsson has a 9-9 record and a 3.05 goals-against average in 23 career NHL games with the New York Islanders.”

GAA…

hahahahahahahahahaha….

142. Pouzar says:

G Money:
    Anyone still watching the feed?

You see the little ‘hat’ move by McDavid?

He singled out a kid for a hat and tossed it to him.Some dick behind him grabbed the hat.

That was frickin’ awesome.

I saw that and it WAS F^CKIN AWESOME.

143. GCW_69 says:

Rip Fan Winkle: Is he that good? I’d rather trade Yak straight up and they save cap, remembering wingers are theeasiest to acquire, and they need offense and can handle Euros successfully.

There is some risk with Larsson because he didn’t play well under deBoer, but once deBoer was fired Larsson finished the year playing on the top pairing with Greene. But he is coming into that range of experience where d-men start to get it. He is a right side defender so a good fit for the Oilers.

If Jersey would trade him for Yak, the Oilers should make the trade.

144. Washingtron says:

Is it too early to start calling Soy “Tkachev 2015”?

Also saw Lalegs great tonight. Maybe his being around made Marincin disposable. That and his sideburns.

Also had to giggle everytime Nurse shrugged someone off and they went flying.

And that Scottish kid out there has pretty soft hands.

145. Acumen says:

Yakupov and Schultz for Larsson. Everybody wins.

We supply most of the value with Yak and pull out of our potential conundrum with Schultz by upgrading him to a younger, superior all around defender. NJ gets a potential game breaker to build a core around up front and gets back a good young right shot defender to replace Larsson and grow up around the Moore/Severson/Gelinas cluster.

And that Connor McDavid story makes me so happy. This kid is a wet dream for any PR person associated with the Oilers or Hockey Canada. The demographic of this country that loves Timmy Ho’s and Don Cherry is going to worship him.

146. Kris11 says:

I doubt Larsson can be bought for anything but a ransom.

I suspect Schultz’s trade value is low. Teams’ pro scouts see what we see, too.

147. Kris11 says:

Is the Nilsson deal a one-way?

148. Acumen says:

Kris11,

Yep, I imagine it has a European out clause if he won’t stick as the NHL backup. He’s our Scrivens insurance.

149. Gordies Elbow says:

LaLeggia is remarkable.

He’s one of those players who is only tall enough to play when standing on his trophy case.

Only defender to close on McDavid, best stick when defending, kept McDavid to the low chance shots. Thought he an Nurse were the class of the defense corps. Betker looked pretty good too, but must work on his turns.

150. vinotintazo says:

Omg I was at the gamee front row, it waas awesome.

Best thing? I grabbed a hat that Ethan bear threw at me. Also got one from nurse, but had to give it away, wasn’t gonna take 2 hats! lol

151. Doug McLachlan says:

Acumen,

There is ZERO indication from anything Chiarelli has done or said that leads me to think any elite talent is headed out until he and McLellan have a good look at what they have and what they can do with them.

152. raventalon40 says:

spoiler:
    I would be curious to know the percentage of Laleggia’s college goals that came from the slot.I don’t remember him taking a single slapshot from blue line tonight. Anyone else?

Sounds like a cheaper version of Justin Schultz. We could probably trade Schultz and slot in Hunt or Laleggia to not much overall effect. Though I worry that Schultz will peak at age 27 and make us look like fools for wanting to trade him (he had some epic numbers in AHL suggesting all the talent is there, just needs to mature). The other half of me worries he’s already peaked at age 25, and that we should trade him before the shine of his lustre wears off.

That being said, he’s a RH puck-moving D-man and those are in short supply in the NHL.

Via HF

Talent Analysis

LaLeggia is a puck-moving defender that has above average hockey sense and processes the game at a very high rate. He has fluid skating skills, is an excellent passer, and can control the power play. The small defender is an offensive blueliner that can score but has difficulty with physicality in the defensive zone.

Future

LaLeggia is in his senior season at the University of Denver in 2014-15. Trailing only forwards Danton Heinen and Trevor Moore for the Pioneers’ scoring lead, LaLeggia has been one of the top offensive defensemen in the nation in all four years of his college career. Despite impressive numbers he is a long shot to play in the NHL on defense at his size. That being said, the success of players like Torey Krug and Sami Vatanen suggests there could be a spot for him on an NHL roster.

Via Edmonton Journal

One motivation for Laleggia to join the Oil rather than test free-agent waters is the presence of his childhood pal and teammate with Vancouver Northwest Giants and Burnaby Winter Club, Ryan Nugent-Hopkins. […] He was calm with the puck on his blade, coping well with pressure and moving the disc when the lane opened up, often by hightailing it out of the zone himself. He was not shy about jumping into the play in the offensive zone, and he picked his spots well, taking no unnecessary risks in a game his team never trailed. He was often a threat to join the rush as a “fourth forward”, setting up a couple of scoring chances with centring passes from beneath the icing line and taking it hard to the net himself on other occasions. Much more often, he was headmanning the disc to his forwards from the back end.
    – See more at: http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/2015/03/29/edmonton-oilers-prospect-joey-laleggia-takes-advantage-of-chance-to-impress-his-future-bosses/#sthash.4QBQuZpI.dpuf

153. Pouzar says:

Acumen:
    Kris11,

Jason Gregor ‏@JasonGregor 36m36 minutes ago
    Nilsson contract does not have a Europe out clause. One-way deal, he needs to clear waivers. “It will be a competition,” Chiarelli. #Oilers

154. raventalon40 says:

Acumen:
    Yakupov and Schultz for Larsson. Everybody wins.

We lose this trade, but by a hair. Should throw in a conditional pick by Jersey.

155. Ducey says:

After going to the Saturday camp and watching the rest on-line, it seems like there is a new priority since MacT came in (most of these guys were drafted by him).
    Before the camp invites tended to be 4th line types or checkers. Size was a priority.
    Now even the camp invites can wheel. They can skate and they can handle the puck.
    I came away impressed with Stukel and Davis. They don’t have great point totals but they are just 18, and could take abig step forward next year. They have some tools.

Its now like my kids school. Not a pop machine to be found.

156. dustrock says:

Was at the scrimmage tonight, center ice perfect seats about 30 rows up.

Thoughts – CM97, Drai and Nurse were obviously on another level. Thought Nurse best player on the ice for the first period. McDavid & Draisaitl both great, they each could get a scoring chance almost at will.

I had a chat sheet for the numbers. Can’t remember all but here’s my thoughts:

– Joey Legs was fantastic. Great skater, but also smart. Can see his size is really mainly a weakness along the boards, but I think his compete level and smarts will help him, both on O and D. Very impressed.

– I really like Leveille a bunch. Thought he showed really well and was probably the best d-man not Nurse, Legs or Betker. This guy should definitely come to training camp. He’s not tall but is very solid, liked his offense decision making too.

– Thought Caleb Jones showed rather well, particularly with his skating.

– Seems like a bunch of people liked Lagesson but I don’t think he stood out one way or another. Other guys showed more than him.

– Betker could be a player. The Sutton comps aren’t far off. I think he probably shows better in a traditional setting but his skating has definitely improved and sometimes he looked like a forward out there.

– Bear and Marino didn’t stand out a whole bunch to me, but I do remember they each had 2-3 moments in the game where I checked the cheat sheet and was impressed.

– For goalies, I liked Svoboda quite a bit. Nagelvoort (I think) played pretty good, as did Papirny. Bouchard was okay but easily the worst of the 4 for me. It was funny seeing the goalies make a nice save, waiting for the whistle, and then remembering the refs aren’t blowing the whistle.

157. Younger Oil says:

Was at Rexall tonight (not sure how many people were), and I know I will sound biased, but there is definitely not enough talk around here about Leveille.

He didn’t get any points, but rang two beauty shots off the bar, and had a couple of great stretch passes that created breakaways that should have been scored on.

He looked slow in the neutral zone, but it was very clear that he was not giving it is all, like most players, as it was a scrimmage after all.

He was rock solid in front of the net, and had a couple of great battles with Chase, wrestled him off of the puck twice. Even held his own against Nurse, who wrestled every other player who approached him to the ground.

If the top tier is Nurse, Drai and McDavid, Leveille definitely fit in the second tier with Betker, Laleggia, Chase and Platzer.

I know it was a scrimmage, but he was miles ahead of Bear, Marino, and Jones to my eye. Definitely worth a contract IMO, especially if it will slide for a couple of years.

158. Younger Oil says:

dustrock,

Agreed on almost all counts. Only thing I would add was that Rankin looked good too, wouldn’t mind him on an AHL deal.

159. dustrock says:

Forwards – McDavid – really the edges and acceleration, and quick hands in tight. Looks more like Bure or Kane to me than Crosby. No worries about the release on his shot.

Not sure how noticeable it was on TV but you could hear the crowd murmuring at a couple of minor things McDavid did. Little angles to get space or to pass for a teammate. He and Draisaitl sometimes pass more like soccer players. Both used the space very well and when given even more space in the 3v3, they both capitalised.

– Draisaitl – looks faster to me and his top gear is pretty solid. He looked disinterested at first, but got into it as the game went along and I think there was some competitive fire against McDavid. His passing skills are at a Thornton level. Had some good rushes to the net which was nice to see, but couldn’t bury one. Played well a couple of times against Nurse on the boards.

– Chase – quiet first half, came on in the 2nd and 3v3. Just like the Big 3, he was messing around. Had a nice set-up for his former teammate Soy. He’s a solid prospect.

– McCarron – couple nice moments but given his age you expect it I think.

– Campbell – liked Campbell’s offensive game. Ditto Christopher (sp?).

– Soy had a nice finish on his goal. Couple nice moments but didn’t blow me away.

– Esposito had a high event game. His finish wasn’t fantastic but he had noticeably good speed, especially through the neutral zone. Might be worth a closer look.

– Rebry had a # of opportunities but no finish.

– I liked Alexis Loiseau quite a bit. Went to the net well.

– Vessel had a couple of moments but Meh overall.

– Platzer had a pretty solid all-around game. Seems like a smart player to me. Not overwhelmingly gifted, but solid and smart. Worked hard.

– The Other Connor (Rankin) showed some nice speed & moves in the 2nd half.

– Stukel had a pretty high event game I think. Liked his energy.

I attended tonight, will have thoughts tomorrow. A fun night!

161. dustrock says:

Younger Oil,

Glad I’m not the only one who saw Leveille good. Like, 3rd round pick good. And boy is he a tank.

162. Younger Oil says:

One more thing, I think Kyle Platzer has scored in every game I have seen him play. Orientation, Penticton, and preseason. Doesn’t do anything especially well, but just finds a way to put it in the back of the net every game. I think he may have a career in him.

163. Loyal2theoil says:

I laughed a lot when Christopher and Marino got in a scuffle. LOL

164. misfit says:

Younger Oil:

He’s our next Brodziak. No fanfare, no expectations, just constant production that I could see leapfrogging him over a bunch of players in the system and getting him to the show much sooner than expected.

165. Bag of Pucks says:

Just found out Anders Hedberg and Ulf Nilsson had a baby and it was a goalie.

The WHA mojo is strong in this young Jedi.

166. Younger Oil says:

Loyal2theoil:
    I laughed a lot when Christopher and Marino got in a scuffle. LOL

I had family/friends of Christopher two rows in front of me, and when that happened (and Christopher got a penalty) a buddy/brother got up and yelled “THAT’S HOW YOU GET NOTICED! WOOOOOOOOO! NOW GO AFTER THAT 97 KID, THE FANS WILL LOVE YOU FOR THAT!”

Needless to say, our whole section broke out in laughter.

167. Younger Oil says:

misfit: He’s our next Brodziak.No fanfare, no expectations, just constant production that I could see leapfrogging him over a bunch of players in the system and getting him to the show much sooner than expected.

That’s a very good comparable, I was wracking my brain for one and you nailed it.

168. book¡je says:

I attended tonight, will have thoughts tomorrow. A fun night!

All you young folk pay attention. If you abuse your body, cavort with unsavory types, and regularly imbibe the alchohol, your brain will work slower and slower until it takes a whole day for it to process your observations into thoughts!

L

169. Gret99zky says:

raventalon40,

Also, from watching him in camp, LaLeggia has a very quick and accurate wrist shot. Laser.

170. elphy101 says:

The signing of Anders Nilsson will only have a 50K salary cap implication for the Oilers so there is no reason to buyout Ben Scrivens as a result of it.

At training camp, if Scrivens wins the job, then Anders Nillson would be demoted. As he is demoted, the Oilers are able to deduct 575K + 375K for a player in the minors. As a result, there is a 1 million cost to Katz but only a 50k change in cap hit. If Nilsson wins the job, then Scrivens is demoted and we are in the same position. We would also see a net gain if Scrivens were picked up on waivers after training camp.

The only cost I see with this signing is the extra 1 Million in salary paid by Katz either way.

171. Bootstrap Effexor says:

If you stare real hard (and with the right software) some of you might be able to make out my appearance after skimming the 4th-ish of July five-banger GDT.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

172. russ99 says:

Chia’s presser afterwards was interesting. He made a point to state how this was a no-check 4 on 4 scrimmage to diffuse some of the runaway expectations. He also mentioned Draisaitl’s bad giveaway in the d-zone.

He said they took Schultz to arb to ensure a signing and the buyout window “gives us options”.

He said he’s not sure if he’ll use the buyout.

My take is he’s looking to move Nikitin or Ference and if they can’t make a deal. He’ll use the buyout.

Btw: Yak and Schultz for Larsson is an awful deal. We need to stop selling players when their value is low. Hopefully Chia is much better at this than MacT and Tambellini.

173. raventalon40 says:

Lots of interesting young-ish players still on UFA. Some of them are semi-famous from their Memorial Cup and WJHC days. I would reach out and offer an ECHL/AHL deal or an invite to training camp for some of these guys. I’m particularly interested in inviting some of the Alberta boys and maybe even Greg Nemisz and Tomas Vincour. Igor Bobkov is a huge goalie.

Mark Visentin, 22

2007, 1st round, 8th overall

Eric Tangradi, 26
    Height 6.04 — Weight 221
    2007, 2nd round, 42nd overall

Honourable Mention: Drayson Bowman, Dana Tyrell

174. spoiler says:

russ99: He said he’s not sure if he’ll use the buyout.

Ehrhoff remains unsigned. I’m wondering if Chia is using good times with Sekera as bait and has a deal in principle with Ehrhoff’s camp. “Hang on Chris, just give us a chance to clear some salary,”

The buyout window opens when Schultz is signed. If that happens soon we might see a couple more dominoes fall quickly.

If they take their time with Schultz, Chia might be waiting for one of the cap-strapped teams to cave.

Gonna be interesting one way or another during The Summer of Pete,

Hope MacT is paying attention during all this; he’s getting a helluva good education.

175. raventalon40 says:

spoiler: Ehrhoff remains unsigned. I’m wondering if Chia is using good times with Sekera as bait and has a deal in principle with Ehrhoff’s camp.“Hang on Chris, just give us a chance to clear some salary,”

Gonna be interesting one way or another during The Summer of Pete,

I like Ehrhoff in principle, but prefer Phaneuf at salary retained.

Yakupov+Nikitin+2nd for Phaneuf+B prospect+salary retained

176. Oil2Oilers says:

Toronto has already maxed out the number of contracts they can retain salary on. It would be a full price Phaneuf.

177. Doug McLachlan says:

There may be a day where Chia trades Yak (or Eberle or, hell, Hall) for gains elsewhere but there is no indication he is going to do so before seeing what he can do.

178. frjohnk says:

raventalon40: I like Ehrhoff in principle, but prefer Phaneuf at salary retained.

Yakupov+Nikitin+2nd for Phaneuf+B prospect+salary retained

Like Oil2Oilers says.

And if we can stay away from bad contracts in around the 18-19 19-20 seasons, we can possibly keep the majority of the core.

Phaneuf at the tail end of his career will be a boat anchor of a contract.

179. Ryan says:

Bootstrap Effexor:

||||||
    ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
    |||/

180. book¡je says:

Gonna be interesting one way or another during The Summer of Pete,

Like that understanding the CBA is important.

181. theres oil in virginia says:

book¡je: Like that understanding the CBA is important.

Like that when the market isn’t set up the way you want it to be, there are things you can do to manipulate it.

182. LadiesloveSmid says:

Yakupov+Nikitin+2nd for Phaneuf+B prospect+salary retained

you’d rather trade Yak for Phaneuf than sign Ehrhoff for money?

183. Rip Fan Winkle says:

LadiesloveSmid: you’d rather trade Yak for Phaneuf than sign Ehrhoff for money?

Why do the Leafs a favour and give something up?

184. dustrock says:

Phaneuf has SIX MORE YEARS. Guys. Come on.

185. V.XIV.VI.I says:

dustrock:
    Phaneuf has SIX MORE YEARS.Guys.Come on.

And he’s already fading.