OILERS AND ODUYA

I’m not sure how good Jim Matheson’s listening wheel works these days, but when the dean of the scribes tweets, people listen.

Lots of information there for sure. Edmonton interested in Oduya? Hmmm. I like the player, but his age (34 in October) doesn’t really jive with Peter Chiarelli’s summer (Talbot is 28, Reinhart is 21, Sekera is 29, Gryba is 27 and Letestu is 30) and the players who have arrived on the roster. He isn’t a wheelhouse option based on the ‘experienced but in their 20’s’ summer of Pete.

VOLLMAN SLEDGEHAMMER vollman oduya

That’s a sweet spot in the Vollman no doubt. Even with the understanding that Hjalmarsson is zooming the pairing, that’s a nice number for a shutdown duo. Now, this is the graph of a team with experience everywhere, familiarity with the system and it’s parts and in their prime. Oduya is not a driver in the ‘Hawks arsenal but credit where due he seems to have righted the ship after some wobbly moments.

HERO!

Over 51% possession, as mentioned Hjalmarrson zoomed the pairing. I wouldn’t be in favor of a long-term deal and that’s probably where our man is headed, as Matty mentioned later on twitter.

What does this tell us? Something’s up. Jim Matheson may be a little older than you but he’s seen a lot around the Edmonton Oilers organization and if his radar is up, then yours should be too. I remain impressed with Peter Chiarelli’s ability to keep even the truly connected media people guessing, though. Peter Chiarelli doesn’t care about who knows what and when, that’s my read on this. That should make you truly happy as a fan. PC is working. We’ll find out what he’s doing in due time.

118 Responses to "OILERS AND ODUYA"

1. anonymous says:

Bad bet to make especially if the cap stays flat or falls.

2. misfit says:

Also, if Matheson knows something about how the Oilers are thinking, the fact that they’re concerned about how old Ference will be at the back end of his deal means they probably aren’t looking to cut it short (ie. buy it out) either.

3. PDO says:

Absolutely love the player but the mantra has to be right player right price right time… and at 34 years old he doesn’t fit.

4. fifthcartel says:

I’m hoping Stauffer’s comment about the Oilers not being done and to watch the Franson/Oduya situation is more about Franson than Oduya.

5. Ducey says:

Boy, Ian Herbers gets made an assistant coach and not a peep around here.

Sounds like good add. Anyone from the Clare Drake/ Billy Moores tree is ok by me.

Ducey:
    Boy, Ian Herbers gets made an assistant coach and not a peep around here.

Sounds likegood add. Anyone from the Clare Drake/ Billy Moores tree is ok by me.

Mentioned it in yesterday afternoon’s article.

7. Ducey says:

Lowetide: Mentioned it in yesterday afternoon’s article.

But it only happened today!?

Damn LT, you’re good.

Ducey: But it only happened today!?

Damn LT, you’re good.

Haha. Well, it’s funny. People were so damn happy for him no one could contain themselves!

9. Bank Shot says:

On a one year deal. Sure!

10. Bling says:

Here’s Chicago’s top 4 D in 2014/2015 with their +/- ON/60 versus +/- OFF/60, and then the difference in the final column. (Numbers from behindthenet).

PLAYER +/- ON/60 +/-OFF/60 DIFF
    Seabrook 0.09 0.61 -0.52
    Keith 0.59 0.27 +0.22
    Oduya 0.13 0.60 -0.47
    Hjalmar 0.98 0.10 +0.88

1) This is crude, because we’re not accounting for qualCOMP and PDO. Hjalmarsson had a PDO of 1025, btw. His numbers are still pretty impressive, though. There’s an argument to be made that Hjalmarsson is Chicago’s #1 D.

2) The interesting thing to me is comparing Seabrook and Oduya. Similar PDO (Seabrook 997, Oduya 1001). Oduya was playing the toughest minutes, Seabrook the secondary toughs. Are these players all that different? Oduya’s offence is superficially underwhelming, but his EV scoring is 0.44 vs. 0.64 for Seabrook. Keith is 0.99, btw.

I’d be afraid of going long-term with Oduya. He’s getting into the decline phase of his career — according to a few Hawks blogs, he struggled this past season — and he is probably being zoomed by Hjalmarsson.

Pass.

11. Optimism is Foolish says:

Oduya …. there is a name that could be gotten relatively cheaply with good experience. Shy offensively for sure but he can move the puck and log ALOT of minutes (24 min/game in playoffs). His addition would also ensure Nurse and Reinhart are ahl bound until the contracts are cleared out.

oduya-sekera (top comp any zone)
    klef-schultz (soft Ozone push vs weaker comp)
    gryba-fayne (Dzone push vs average comp)
    Ference

All of a sudden we have a veteran corps with 2812 nhl games played between them to support the young forwards and mentor our defensive prospects.

12. Doug McLachlan says:

Optimism is Foolish,

How many years?

13. Centre of attention says:

Hello all, I’ve been lurking this blog for the better part of a year and fancied it time to jump in.
    I’m just as opinionated as most of you, but from the arguments I’ve read among regulars [I’ve read some doozy’s] I see both sides of the coin more often then not.

Now that we are finished with that, let me throw in my 2 cents. Heres my take;
    The fact people around the Oilers are even talking about other NHL defenseman outside the organization, whether its Seabrook or Oduya or _______ tells me Chiarelli is not finished.
    Stauffer said it plain as day yesterday. [contradicting himself I may add] “The Oilers are not done yet, it will be interesting to see what happens with someone like Cody Franson, to see if something can get done there.”

Whether the next shoe drops in the coming week or around training camp I couldn’t tell you.
    I can tell you that someone like Franson would fit in perfectly with Chiarelli’s plan.

Another thing, I’ve seen probably 2 or 3 misguided souls here talk about how Franson is “Slow as sh*t” and that he is equal or worse then Justin Schultz. I say to those poor naive folk, give your head a shake and watch some Cody Franson video, specifically of the time he was playing in Toronto. Franson is solid. He struggled in Nashville because he didn’t fit into/understand their system at all, he needed more of an adjustment period. But he was having an alright year before being traded, remember.

Franson can keep the puck in on the PP [!!!], he has a wicked shot [much better then Schultz], watching clips of him he is not the fastest, but he is far from slow. He is usually in the right spot anyways so its not like he always has to skate like hell back to his own zone every shift. He’s also a big guy, throws hits as well, though its not his calling card.

TLDR; Assuming they do buyout Nikitin AND Schultz moves on, don’t sell Franson short. He’s a solid second pairing guy who is a right shot (!) and would give McLellan options.

Example:
    Sekera-Fayne [Toughs]
    Klefbom-Franson [Puck movers]
    _____-Gryba [Mop up]

Ference
    Nurse
    Rienhart
    Davidson

LT, what are your thoughts on my massive wall of text? Not bad for a first post huh.

14. Optimism is Foolish says:

Doug McLachlan,

no more than 2 years and realistically he is trade bait as soon one of the kids take his spot.

15. Woogie63 says:

Is the Herbers hire along the same vein as the Schwartz hire?

Centre: Welcome! It’s a Phil Spector ‘wall of sound’ post!

Woogie: I’m not sure I understand. Same vein as Schwartz how?

17. Centre of attention says:

Centre: Welcome! It’s a Phil Spector ‘wall of sound’ post!

18. supernova says:

Not a fan of any deal with Oduya.
    One year or anything.
    He is on the backside of his career. Why would we need Oduya and Ference?

I get that he could be a Willie Mitchell type add but if we are gonna add D they need to have more Offensive abilities.

He replicates Fayne & Ference.

Not a fan at all.

19. jonrmcleod says:

fifthcartel: I feel like Franson could help a lot more, and sure, he would cost more too, but he’s also a lot younger and can play on the power play, which can’t be sad for too many of the Oilers defense.

In case Godot doesn’t arrive, let me inform you that Franson is not a stud defender but rather a dud defender. 🙂

Centre of attention: So, do you agree with my take on Franson? I know its all hypothetically relying on Schultz vanishing into thin air, but cmon. Calling Franson a bum is ridiculous at best.

fifthcartel:
    I’m hoping Stauffer’s comment about the Oilers not being done and to watch the Franson/Oduya situationis more about Franson than Oduya.

Oduya can play defense. Franson can’t. So Oduya, with limited term, will help. Franson will not, regardless of term.

Centre of attention:

Sekera had no problem fitting in in LA.
    Petry had no problem fitting in in Montreal.
    Coburn had no problem fitting in in Tampa.
    Michalek had no problem fitting in in St. Louis.
    Zidlicky had no problem fitting in in Detroit.
    Yandle had no problem fitting in in New York.

Franson is “allegedly” a veteran defensemen. How can he not fit into any system? The guy wants Sekera’s and Petry’s contract. That means you should be able to walk in and play yesterday.

23. Centre of attention says:

Lowetide: I like Franson, have for some time. There’s a great deal of disagreement about him on this site and I do suspect Edmonton is invested in Schultz (so he won’t be coming to Edmonton). I would sign Franson and trade Schultz given the opportunity.

Glad we can agree, LT. Jultz is holding back this team again already, and the season hasn’t even started yet! Damn it all to hell!

Also, Godot, Franson can, in fact, play defense. He’s better in his own zone then Schultz and also better on the PP and at even strength in the point production department.
    If we flush Nikitin and trade Schultz for stuff [I honestly wouldn’t care if it was for picks] are the Oilers not a better team with Franson instead of Schultz? I also think the Franson contract may be more palatable then one might think, sighting the amount of time it has taken for Franson to sign, he is likely going to get less then he wants. That being said, replacing Jultz with Cody would improve the team. By eye and by statistic Franson plays a better all around game then Schultz.

24. Kmart99 says:

Jultz brings more offense than Franson, he’s younger, and he is a high end skater.

Sure he can’t pass or play defense, but at least he brings SOMETHING to the table. Franson, from what I can tell, is good on the PP. What are his other strengths?

25. Centre of attention says:

godot10: Sekera had no problem fitting in in LA.
    Petry had no problem fitting in in Montreal.
    Coburn had no problem fitting in in Tampa.
    Michalek had no problem fitting in in St. Louis.
    Zidlicky had no problem fitting in in Detroit.
    Yandle had no problem fitting in in New York.

Franson is “allegedly” a veteran defensemen.How can he not fit into any system?The guy wants Sekera’s and Petry’s contract.That means you should be able to walk in and play yesterday.

Yandle was a ghost in New York for most of the season, until he scored that token goal in the playoffs. The others are again different players. I never called Franson “veteran”. I said he’s a better option then Jultz. Not everyone can hop right into a lineup, especially into a team like Nashville. They have many other established defenseman there and he simply could not find a place to fit. He was also forced to play on his off side.

26. Centre of attention says:

Kmart99:

Sure he can’t pass or play defense, but at least he brings SOMETHING to the table. Franson, from what I can tell, is good on the PP.What are his other strengths?

Franson is better at evens, and I don’t remember the exact stats but I’m almost certain they are comparable on the PP, and Franson is much better in his own zone then Schultz. Where is everyone getting this idea that Franson is useless? Jeeze, don’t listen to Leaf fans, they’re just mad he wouldn’t sign long term there.

Also, Godot, Sekera didn’t fit right into LA either. He took a step back, althought a smaller one then Franson.

27. Centre of attention says:

Kmart99:

Also, another thing, Schutlz is a great skater yes, but he is clueless in the position game. He is completely reliant on his skating to cover up his positional mistakes. Even then, he simply skates back [“Smoothly”] and trys to poke check the bad guy. He might as well just go for a change at that point.

28. Kmart99 says:

Jultz and Franson are pretty comparable at evens.

Franson was .89p/60 this year compared to Jultz at .77p/60
    Jultz was .89p/60 compared to Franson at .70p/60 the year prior.

Franson has had some really big years prior to that as far as EVP/60 though.

At 5v4 Jultz is worse than Franson… Much worse. (If P/60 is your ruler). Franson is a legit PP guy.

I honestly had no idea his EVP/60 were that decent.

29. Centre of attention says:

Kmart99:
    Jultz and Franson are pretty comparable at evens.

Franson was .89p/60 this year compared to Jultz at .77p/60
    Jultz was .89p/60 compared to Franson at .70p/60 the year prior.

Franson has had some really big years prior to that as far as EVP/60 though.

At 5v4 Jultz is worse than Franson… Much worse.(If P/60 is your ruler).Franson is a legit PP guy.

I honestly had no idea his EVP/60 were that decent.

Yeah, this season he was at 32 points in 55 games for the Leafs. I would say he brings more offense then Schultz [at worst they are equal]. Also, I do believe Franson is better in his own zone then Schultz, and Franson also throws some big hits. He brings much more to the table in that regard. Also, Fransons possession stats are tainted by the fact he was stuck on the leafs, which was one of the worst possession teams in the league. Take his corsi stats with a grain of salt.

In a perfect world, we could sign him. 🙁 unfortunately LT is probably correct, Franson won’t be coming to town. Jultz stays. It’s a nice thought, though

30. gogliano says:

I am not a fan of buying out Nikitin.

This upcoming year is, at best, a year to get the team some meaningful games in April. By 2016-17, we should be thinking about assembling a contending team. Not buying out Nikitin gives us an extra 1.5 million to work with in 2016-2017. Oduya for this season will almost certainly give us a 1.5 million hit to our salary cap in 2016-17.

What does 1.5 million plus Oduya’s 2016-17 salary buy you in 16-17? A better player than Oduya.

31. fifthcartel says:

godot10: Oduya can play defense.Franson can’t.So Oduya, with limited term, will help.Franson will not, regardless of term.

I dont think the perception of Franson is entirely accurate, and unless Oduya is coming with Niklas Hjalmarsson I don’t think he would help nearly as much as some would hope.

And on a defense that is woefully short on guys that can produce offense, Franson would be a very nice boost to that. Oduya, not so much as he hasn’t had an offensive touch in quite a while.

I’m very high on Franson, but I don’t think it’s unrealistic to say he’d wouldn’t have any problems playing top 4 minutes on the Oilers.

32. Hammers says:

To much on Franson , a player who won’t even be here . As for Oduyawould I like him? Yes but max 3 years . This team needs to look a few years out . We have potential simmering as Simpson maybe a player in another couple of years let alone Musil . I see both making the NHL , just not both with the Oilers. Franson vs Schultz is like who cares which one . There are other options and like it or not who really cares ?

33. Ryan says:

Willis killing it again.

“Yakupov has simply not produced the way a first overall pick is expected to, and looking back at the 2012 Draft it’s clear that this was simply a weak draft year.”

34. Doug McLachlan says:

Ok, pro and anti Franson camps. Hit me with the math.

I thought his possession numbers were positive but if that’s wrong (or incomplete) help walk me through the elements of the argument. If the evidence is clear, the conclusions will flow through on their own.

35. art vandelay says:

Is Matheson still getting his material from the AP wire? Why not quote whoever started the rumor?

36. Centre of attention says:

Doug McLachlan:
    Ok, pro and anti Franson camps. Hit me with the math.

Nah, Hammer is probably right. Franson won’t be coming, its not worth any further debate. I just wanted to let the people who are in the “Franson is slow and useless” camp know that they are unfortunately misinformed.

Again, not worth digging up the stats though.

I agree Ryan, the 2012 draft was a stinker. Best player in the draft may end up being Morgan Rielly. *runs for cover*

37. Ducey says:

art vandelay:

Hi Art!

38. Rip Fan Winkle says:

Dear Mr MacTavish,
    Thank you for trading Petry to make room for Johnny Oduya.

Sincerely
    Still Miffed

39. Lois Lowe says:

art vandelay,

Hi Art! *waves*

40. Rip Fan Winkle says:

Oduya is dangerous. The Hawks made him look good, not so sure he looked like that before.

I don’t see that good, no context though.

41. LadiesloveSmid says:

Rip Fan Winkle:
    Dear Mr MacTavish,
    Thank you for trading Petry to make room for Johnny Oduya.

Sincerely
    Still Miffed

Mr MacTavish signed a worse version of Oduya 2 years ago. And we get two more years of cap’n!

42. book¡je says:

fifthcartel:

It’s not entirely impossible that I am not uncertain that I haven’t got the slightest clue as to what you may or may not be saying.

43. Dashingsilverfox says:

FFS

Godot’s false narrative about Franson is getting exceedingly tiresome.

Read this:

Franson, in a heartbeat, makes the Oilers D much, much better on many levels.

44. Dashingsilverfox says:

In other news…word on the interwebs is that Oduya will likely sign in Dallas.

He would be an exceptional #3D on that team.

45. David says:

Ryan:
    Willis killing it again.

46. Dashingsilverfox says:

Andy Strickland ‏@andystrickland

Johnny Oduya already turned down a 3 yr, $15 million offer form #Sabres several days ago. No doubt Buffalo in position to offer most money

47. Dashingsilverfox says:

David: Yakupov is going to make a lot of people eat their hats. Amidst his struggles I’ve seen the talent that made him a consensus number one pick. Years from now Yakupov will be brought up every time a number one pick doesn’t explode out of the fate as why teams ( and fans ) should be patient. I still think Yak will become a consistent 30G 70P player from ages 24-30 maybe more maybe sooner and longer. But he’s got it.

There is no evidence to support your position.

None.

48. leadfarmer says:

Dashingsilverfox,

Same interwebs that were certain Sekera was signing in LA?

49. David says:

Dashingsilverfox: There is no evidence to support your position.

None.

Adding your name to the list. Hope you have a tasty hat!

Centre of attention:

And so he reveals himself as a Leaf fan who wants to dump a lousy Franson on us. Hey, the new advanced stats overlords in Toronto want no part of Franson. Those who know him best, Toronto and Nashville want no part of him.

Trouba, Lindholm, Matta, Forsberg

Dashingsilverfox:
    FFS

Godot’s false narrative about Franson is getting exceedingly tiresome.

Read this:

Franson, in a heartbeat, makes the Oilers D much, much better on many levels.

Please, make my day. Have your Canucks sign him, please. I’ll have a drink. And then I’ll have another.

52. Dashingsilverfox says:

leadfarmer:
    Dashingsilverfox,

Same interwebs that were certain Sekera was signing in LA?

Chiarelli stepped up with an extra year.

No one else wanted to do that.

I can understand why.

53. leadfarmer says:

Cody Franson got more PP time per game in each of the last 3 years than Schultz got this year. Take his production with a grain of salt. Someone will not like the contract they sign him to.

54. wheatnoil says:

Dashingsilverfox:
    FFS

Godot’s false narrative about Franson is getting exceedingly tiresome.

Read this:

Franson, in a heartbeat, makes the Oilers D much, much better on many levels.

I agree with DSF.

Extremely useful quote from that article (click it, it’s a good read, it was written in December)…

“So Franson arguably was starting in the toughest situations in the entire NHL the past two seasons—he had the highest proportion of Defensive Zone starts, with the worst teammates in terms of possession, in front of below average goaltending. It seems curious that anyone would argue that Franson has been “sheltered” defensively based on those statistics. But they do, because they’re not looking beyond the eye test.”

Franson has been sheltered in the past… but that has not been the case lately. He has paid tough minutes and his possession metrics relative to his team has been strong, even after his trade to Nashville (which took place after this article).

If the Oilers grab Franson, they can keep Schultz. Franson can (and has) played tough defensive zone starts. They are not taking the same minutes.

Centre of attention:

LA made a huge run for the playoffs once they got Sekera, and then promptly flatlined and keeled over when he got hurt.

56. leadfarmer says:

Dashingsilverfox,

If by the extra year you meant he had no money than you would be correct.

57. leadfarmer says:

godot10,

Centre please point on the sledgehammer where exactly did Sekera take a step back. He looks pretty good.

58. Dashingsilverfox says:

David: Adding your name to the list. Hope you have a tasty hat!

There were 19 players who scored 70 points last season.

Every one of them played on their teams first line.

A succesful season for Yakupov would be 20 goals and 50 points and not being the WORST defensive forward in the entire league.

59. wheatnoil says:

leadfarmer:
    Cody Franson got more PP time per game in each of the last 3 years than Schultz got this year.Take his production with a grain of salt.Someone will not like the contract they sign him to.

Franson may get PP time, but he produces points at even-strength.

From the same article that DSF linked to above…

“Since entering the NHL in 2009, amongst defenders with 2,500-plus minutes at 5v5, Franson ranks seventh overall in points per 60 minutes.”

Since he entered the league, Franson has an even-strength production rate above that of Shattenkirk, Yandle, and Pietrangelo. He is tied with Mike Green and just behind Byfuglien, Keith, Hedman, and Letang. Only Erik Karlsson towers above the rest.

60. Dashingsilverfox says:

leadfarmer:
    Dashingsilverfox,

If by the extra year you meant he had no money than you would be correct.

They had enough money to acquire Lucic.

I don’t think that was the issue.

They just didn’t want to commit to Sekera for that long.

From Gregor’s article interviewing a Western Conference GM:

“Sekera is a better defender and stronger in battles. Franson distributes the puck very well, but the concern is how good he defends. If you pay a defenceman long term and at a high price you need to know they can defend.”

He can’t.

62. TheOtherJohn says:

godot10: And so he reveals himself as a Leaf fan who wants to dump a lousy Franson on us.Hey, the new advanced stats overlords in Toronto want no part of Franson.Those who know him best, Toronto and Nashville want no part of him.

Trouba, Lindholm, Matta, Forsberg

Player I’d select at #1 is Maatta followed by Lindholm, Galyenchuk, Forsberg, Trouba, Hertl, Murray, Reilly, Teravanan, Yak Pearson, Girgenson, Ceci, Girgenson, Andersen and Dumba.

All safely ahead of Reinhart today. Emphasis is on today. Race is not over but that is where we are today. 16/17/18 in a redraft of 2012. Add Derek Poiliout and that’s 18.

63. wheatnoil says:

Dashingsilverfox:

I agree that 50 points would be a very successful season for Yakupov. 50 points would be 77th in the league among forwards. With 30 teams and 3 forwards per line, 77th in the league is 1st line level production.

If Yak hits 50 playing second or third line minutes, then Edmonton is rolling!

64. TheOtherJohn says:

wheatnoil,

If my grandmother had balls she’d be my grandfather. IF’s a pretty big word

65. wheatnoil says:

godot10:
    From Gregor’s article interviewing a Western Conference GM:

He can’t.

I agree that Sekera is better than Franson. If the Oilers added one defender this summer, I’d choose Sekera over Franson every time.

However, now it’s mid-July. Franson may have to take less money and term than what his original ask was. He’s a solid top four defender who, despite you saying otherwise, does have a history of playing some tough minutes, and driving possession into the offensive end, while also producing even-strength points.

66. square_wheels says:

Dashingsilverfox,

Wow, some good luck for Bufalo this week !

67. LadiesloveSmid says:

Dashingsilverfox:
    FFS

Godot’s false narrative about Franson is getting exceedingly tiresome.

Read this:

Franson, in a heartbeat, makes the Oilers D much, much better on many levels.

agreed

He’s a good 2nd pairing Dman, and I’d argue with Franson EDM has 4 top 4 guys for the first time in ages (Sekera, Fayne, Klef, Franson)

68. David says:

Dashingsilverfox: So, you’re calling for Yakupov to score 30 goals and 70 points while getting 3rd line minutes?

There were 19 players who scored 70 points last season.

Every one of them played on their teams first line.

Well he still has a couple of seasons until the 24 mark I gave in my post. Obviously if he performs like that he’ll be on the top line of whatever team he is on.

I agree that would be a successful season for him this year. Hoping for more but would be happy with 20 goals 50 points.

69. Dashingsilverfox says:

LadiesloveSmid: agreed

70. Old School G says:

If Johnny would do 3 at 3.5, I’d do 3 at 3.5. I say this believing that if Oduya signed we would be parting ways with super agent Niki N immediately and Capt. Ference not long after, one way or the other Chia, Pete will handle business.

All Coach McLellan has to do is use Yak and JSchultz like the specialists that they are and everything will be all right.

How closely will the end of Andrew Ference’s career resemble the end of Dave Lowry’s career?

71. Pouzar says:

Bob Stauffer ‏@Bob_Stauffer
    For those asking I don’t see an actual arbitration hearing for Justin Schultz. My guess is 1-year deal below 4M gets done in next few days

wheatnoil:

Gregor has an NHL GM saying that their are doubts about Franson’s ability to defend. That, by definition means he is NOT a solid top four defender.

It is not just me. He is still unsigned. The GM’s in the NHL seem to agree with me. The professional fancy stat-ters running the Leafs seem to agree with me rather than the amateur ones on the internet.

73. David says:

On the Franson topic here’s my two cents:

I’m not a big believer in Franson so maybe I’m to biased but even if he is better than I think I think he is a bad idea.

I’m thrilled with the Sekera addition but it is a sizeable contract at a long term. I’m quite bullish on our young defensemen and quite concerned about the cap moving forward. Even IF Franson is worth 5 million a season we have defensemen that are paid what they are worth and some that are paid quite more than they are worth. We need value contracts and filling up our defense with UFA’s is not how to get value contracts. It’s how you get full price or overpays on long contracts. We may need a defensemen like Franson (I don’t like him) but if we do, we need that defenseman on a value contract.

In summery: UFA bad. Stay away from Franson (unless he’s willing to sign for 2 years or less which I doubt)

74. Dashingsilverfox says:

godot10: Gregor has an NHL GM saying that their are doubts about Franson’s ability to defend.That, by definition means he is NOT a solid top four defender.

It is not just me.He is still unsigned.The GM’s in the NHL seem to agree with me.The professional fancy stat-ters running the Leafs seem to agree with me rather than the amateur ones on the internet.

That, by definition, means one NHL GM is unsure about Franson.

This has no bearing on whether or not he is a top 4 defender.

We have no idea what Franson’s contract ask is.

I can imagine there are several teams who would hire Franson to be their #4 if the price is right.

But you’re extrapolating and assuming no one wants him at any price.

That’s ridiculous.

75. Centre of attention says:

Trouba, Lindholm, Matta, Forsberg

I’m not a fan of the Leafs at all. I take that as an insult. Morgan Rielly is putting up 30 points and playing 25 minutes a night on one of the worst teams in the league. I think he’s got Matta and Trouba beat. Lindholm is arguable, so is Forsberg. All three are in the running. I said Rielly MAY end up being the best. What if Yak scores 30 goals next season? What if we both get struck by lightning? Its all unknown.

Relax about Franson too, I was simply saying he is an improvement over Schultz. Also, there is a 99% chance the Oilers retain Schultz, making Franson a no-go anyways.

We can be friends? Ok?

76. Ducey says:

Hi DSF!

77. Wonder Llama says:

I’m having a hell of a time trying to form an opinion on Franson. Checking his Vollman charts doesn’t give me a strong indication one way or another. I’m not convinced Nashville’s HSing him in the playoffs should define his career, but it’s not a good sign regardless of the Preds depth on D. Has anyone really done some deep digging into the math on him?

78. wheatnoil says:

David:
    On the Franson topic here’s my two cents:

Yeah, I agree that a long-term contract over $5M may not be the ideal cap management for the Oilers going forward (though next year, only Klefbom has to be renewed and $7.75M is coming off the cap with Ference and Nikitin in two years).

We’re starting to enter the point of the summer a veteran GM can land a couple deals at relative value.

79. hoser313 says:

Is there someone else we’re missing? They did talk to Franson and Green before.

No way the Schultz “arbitration” goes ahead IMHO. It was deliberate and they are looking at a couple players.

Reclamation projects maybe? Short term “show me” deals?

80. wheatnoil says:

Wonder Llama,

The link DSF posted above is old but something I’ve run across before and it’s a genuinely good read. It’s a lot better put together than anything I could write.

I think Willis wrote about Franson as well but I can’t seem to find the article.

81. wheatnoil says:

hoser313,

They talked to Ehrhoff as well.

Might be an option. This just came out today. He’s willing to go short-term.

82. oilswell says:

wheatnoil: However, as the off-season wears on, Franson’s ask may have to drop. A lot of contenders are at or near the cap. He’s only 27. He may choose to take a one or two-year contract and try again for one more large pay day hoping the cap rises in a couple years to strike it big.

Well if the rumours are true that Franson is sitting on a 3 years @ $5MM per from Buffalo, one has to think that any team winning his services will have to have something in that ballpark.

To be honest, when I learned that Buffalo might be interested in Franson I suddenly lost a lot of interest in him, I’m reasonably sure they’re not looking at the right things.

83. Doug McLachlan says:

godot10,

I don’t know that the Leafs haven’t tried to get Franson. We just know that the two have not agreed to a deal. Perhaps Franson is less interested in the Leafs than they are in him.

84. fuzzy muppet says:

If you’re acquiring Franson, then you’re discarding Schultz. You can’t have both. They are the same player. Franson is better at this point

Franson is no world-beater, but he is better than Schultz

85. Wonder Llama says:

wheatnoil,

Thanks. That was actually pretty informative despite its datedness (I admit I scroll past anything DSF related). The historical difference between Schultz’s and Franson’s zone starts is interesting. I’d still be wary of the term he’d likely ask and if Chia is still hunting for D I’d prefer Ehrhoff as I’d expect he may be willing to accept a shorter contract.

I’d be genuinely interested to read Godot10’s reaction to that article.

86. wheatnoil says:

oilswell,

87. Centre of attention says:

Dashingsilverfox: That, by definition, means one NHL GM is unsure about Franson.

This has no bearing on whether or not he is a top 4 defender.

We have no idea what Franson’s contract ask is.

But you’re extrapolating and assuming no one wants him at any price.

That’s ridiculous.

These are the posts that make me agree with you.

Franson will for sure get less then he is asking, if a GM was willing to give him what he wants, likely Petry money and term, don’t you think a deal would be done? Someone is going to scoop him for ~4 million and for around 3 or 4 years. Everyone is holding their breath though, waiting to see if anyone shakes loose from one of the cap teams.

Enough though. The Oilers are fixated on Justin Schultz that much is clear. The Franson talk is old already.

88. wheatnoil says:

fuzzy muppet:
    If you’re acquiring Franson, then you’re discarding Schultz.You can’t have both.They are the same player.Franson is better at this point

Franson is no world-beater, but he is better than Schultz

*sigh* Come on, man, I’ve just been arguing the point that Franson is not Schultz. He actually has played tough minutes. Schultz has not. Franson is a positive possession player. Schultz is not. Franson has size and hits. Schultz… jultzes. They do both get PP time and put up points.

If the Oilers get Franson, he takes some of Schultz’s PP time, but otherwise he’s not taking Schultz’s minutes.

89. Lois Lowe says:

I agree with DSF, and am even a little more subdued in my expectations for Yak. I think if he puts a 20-20 year, I’m happy. The optimist in me has created a narrative about how Yak is going to benefit from McDavid’s presence than any other player.

If McDavid is as focused and committed to improving as he’s rumoured to be, then it’s possible that that the Russian kid who doesn’t drink and is also rumoured to be a very hard worker may have a common interest.

Yak seems like an excellent fit as the 2nd or 3rd man into the Ozone trailing McDavid. The former has a quick, heavy shot, while the latter has a Hemsky-esque ‘drive-to-the-outside’ draw the defenders deep, then feed the open trailer move. If Yak can find the soft ice McDavid opens up with his release…

That’s my just-so story anyway. If he hits 20-20, I’m pumped.

90. Centre of attention says:

If you ask me how to fix the Oilers defense, I’d say we somehow spike Carolina’s management with acid, and convince them they don’t need Justin Faulk anymore with Hanifin coming in. Trade Faulk to us for a couple firsts and Yak, we both win right?

Instead we wait. If the Oilers get Oduya I swear…..

91. Магия 10 says:

wheatnoil: (For the record, despite me banging on the Franson drum this evening, I prefer Ehrhoff especially if he’ll take a one-year contract.)

He would

92. Centre of attention says:

Lois Lowe:

If McDavid is as focused and committed to improving as he’s rumoured to be, then it’s possible that that the Russian kid who doesn’t drink and is also rumoured to be a very hard worker. Stylistically they match well on the ice. McDavid is likely going to be the primary puck carrier on his line regardless of who is on his wing (including Taylor Hall IMO).

That’s my just-so story anyway. If he hits 20-20, I’m pumped.

Agreed. The fact McDavid carries the puck so much almost makes me want to split him and Hall up. Then I think about McDavid flying down the ice, and Taylor keeping pace stride for stride, Tic-Tac-Goal. How many times do you think we see that exact thing happen next season? I’m more then excited. Yakupov is likely looking at a 45 point season next year. 25 goals would be awesome. 20/20 is realistic IMO and with that projection its unlikely he gets the ice time to break out any higher.

93. SwedishPoster says:

Dashingsilverfox: There is no evidence to support your position.

None.

His junior career and his rookie season suggests a player in that range. Then came Eakins. With Nelson his numbers started to climb back again and at the end of the season started to head into that rookie season realm again. So there actually is some evidence supporting Davids claim though Yak has obviously a lot left to prove.

And I’m with David in that it might take a couple of seasons but eventually he’ll start producing good offensive numbers, the big question imo is whether he can do it without bleeding goals against. Most ambitious players who are prepared to work hard, and Yak is that, gets better defensively with time and experience so that’s my main hope, he does have some physicality that could be useful in such a situation but he’ll never be considered a good defensive forward unless something crazy happens. I think he’ll figure it out enough to make his offense worth while but as a wise men said, your mileage may vary.

94. Younger Oil says:

Off topic, but I just realized that Fehr would have been 2nd on the Oilers last year in even strength goals.

Can’t believe he hasn’t been signed yet.

If we buy out Nikitin and Purcell and replace them with Erhoff and one of Fehr/Glencross/Semin, I really think that this could be a playoff team.

95. Numenius says:

oilswell: Well if the rumours are true that Franson is sitting on a 3 years @ $5MM per from Buffalo

That was Oduya, not Franson.

96. Bootstrap Effexor says:

I always enjoy encountering a new opinion. Well, almost always.

The new Edmonton Oilers look pretty much like the old Edmonton Oilers, James Leadley argues

He wrote himself off my welcome mat with the third sentence in the following passage:

The new management made the same gambles on young goalies. They replaced poor performers with similar castoffs from other teams. It can’t surprise fans because the old management still remains with the team in some unknown roles alongside the new management group.

Personally, I don’t think analysis by taint has improved one darn bit since I was informed by my classmates in grade two that I could catch “cooties” merely by riding my bicycle across the corner of Dorothy’s lawn (Dorothy wasn’t on the social upswing at the time). One didn’t just catch cooties, one caught invisible, ineradicable cooties—the best and most durable kind.

I was eight years old and already I sensed that this meme had a repugnant smell. Unfortunately, as I learned later on, also a very old smell.

———

We talk a lot about the Detroit model, and the Chicago model, and the Pittsburgh “model”, etc.

But hey, do we have an actual hockey model for a front office so officially Black Flagged as to be certifiably taint-free—of squirmin’ vermin, at least (if not so much of toxins and dioxins?)

Here’s the question then:

What historical NHL franchise represents the one true Ex-Lax of Champions?

———

Unhinged by an unclean curiosity, I just dialed up “most complete purge” on Google.

It’s far from a scintillating genre.

First exhibit, a bottle of “Complete Parasite Cleanse”:

* CPC helps your Body to Effectively Eliminate Parasites and Assist with the Die-Off Symptoms
    * Each Bottle Contains 60 Capsules Which Is One Complete Parasite Cleanse Regimen

I guess it must really suck when pill #60 rolls way under the fridge, to the dark side and beyond. I ask you, couldn’t they be more like Ikea and include just one extra tablet? Note that it’s your body doing the actual work of “assisting”. CPC (proudly, it seems) is but the aide to the assistant. I suspect it’s a dirty job. That’s close enough!

Next there’s the Absolute Uninstaller with this fine accolade:

Absolute Uninstaller is a complete program uninstaller that helps you remove programs thoroughly without leaving any invalid remnant to burden your system gradually.

Woohoohoo boys and girls. Gradual burden is prowling tonight.

And finally, the peerless and fearless Piranha Purge. What can it do for you? Well, it can “handle complex freshness configurations, including multi-tiered cache hierarchies and origin shielding”.

Wait a minute, I thought those features belonged to Dragon Douche. Now I’m confused.

——

Sometimes I get the feeling that all three combined wouldn’t be enough for certain die-hard cynics. I just don’t think this sentiment advances the conversation to any place I wish to inspect with white glove and black truncheon.

Leadley played the card rather lightly, but for my money it can’t be played lightly enough.

Just say “no” to sinister insinuations.

97. Wonder Llama says:

SwedishPoster,

From almost the first moment I saw Yak play I wondered if he’d ever actually been coached or just set free to roam. He’s bewildering. I am intensely curious to see what effect world-class coaching will have.

98. kdunbar says:

Just a thought as to what might be going on in the oilers brain trust.

They are invested in Schultz and want to give him one more year under McLean to see what he really is. They need to know what his salary is before making any other moves. The club elected arbitration allows them to still

A. Keep the roster intact allowing Nikitian as the competition and could go to the AHL or really impress
    B. Sign a UFA man for competition to the defense buying out Nikitian.
    C. Make a trade if one that makes sense is actually available.

The Oilers actually have many possible courses of action.

We might even see Grabya being to odd man out depending on the way camp goes. Running 8s defensemen.

99. oilswell says:

wheatnoil: I missed that. I know Buff offered Oduya $5M x 3. Didn’t hear the same offer for Franson. Also, Buff may have to pay a premium for UFAs. McDavid may have changed that for the Oilers. Hard to know.

wheatnoil,

Of course you’re right, my “mind” (using the term loosely) mixed the two up.

So correction: shine further off of Oduya, Franson still interesting until pursued by Buffalo or Boston.

100. Revolved says:

Lois Lowe:

That’s my just-so story anyway. If he hits 20-20, I’m pumped.

Wow, there are people who agree with me! I don’t know if I think Yakupov is a great fit for McDavid long term, he would have to be more than a liability defensively, but to start the year I think they would clean up against soft competition and build up a lot of steam for the rest of the year!

101. PhrankLee says:

fuzzy muppet: Franson is no world-beater, but he is better than Schultz

My whole problem with this is:

Let’s say Schultz is 6 and a half feet tall chained to the bottom of a lake under 10 feet of water….

How would someone (Franson) who is, say, 7 and a half feet tall fare any better?

They both drown.

I live in the GTA (Hate the Leafs)and Nashville is my second team. Im from Edmonton. I’ve seen Franson out here endlessly and he is a poor defender, full stop.

When I cruise the stats looking for a guy the right age, CF, PP, TOI, ZS, RHD, etc he appears to be a perfect fit.

He just isn’t hard on anyone. He is Schultz in many ways. Why would we want to double our misery.

I’m finding it hard to believe this but on this subject I’m with Godot.

102. GCW_69 says:

That’s just ignoring the facts. Numerous articles have used stats to prove Franson can be a valuable defender in the right role. Because he can’t play every role doesn’t mean he is bad.

If you look at Spenser Manns tableau visualizations of Fransons passing stats, some of them are top 20% and most are above average.

He is also way more physical than Schultz, being second to Polak in hits on the Leafs last season.

He’s not Hedman, but he is a much better defender than Schultz. If you can get him for under $5M and avoid NMC and full NTCs then he is a player worth having. At Petry money he is not. The price point has to be dropping. If Chia can get value here, he should and then punt Schultz as far as he can.

103. GCW_69 says:

PhrankLee: My whole problem with this is:

How would someone (Franson) who is, say,7 and a half feet tall fare any better?

They both drown.

I live in the GTA (Hate the Leafs)and Nashville is my second team.Im from Edmonton. I’ve seen Franson out here endlessly and he is a poor defender, full stop.

I’m finding it hard to believe this but on this subject I’m with Godot.

Franson (Toronto) 153 hits in 55 games.

Schultz 41 hits in 81 games.

They are not in the same time zone in terms of physicality.

104. PhrankLee says:

GCW_69: Franson (Toronto) 153 hits in 55 games.
    Schultz 41 hits in 81 games.
    They are not in the same time zone in terms of physicality

I appreciate your point. But I still contend that Franson isn’t hard on anyone. Being hard on opposition has less to do with hitting than most fans think.

105. Connor'sreal says:

Franson can’t, son. Just pay his ransom. I’m at a loss as to which party to vote for here, and my Dad was a Baun man, so I don’t even have any inherited affiliations to draw on.

Two months, eh? I really need to find a job.

106. rich says:

PhrankLee: My whole problem with this is:

How would someone (Franson) who is, say,7 and a half feet tall fare any better?

They both drown.

I’m finding it hard to believe this but on this subject I’m with Godot.

Well said sir. I live in Nashville and had the chance to watch him play both times he was here. What you saw lines up with what I saw.

The only way he helps the Oilers is if he comes in as a 3rd pairing d-man. Last time I checked, we have a lot of this type already.

The best thing that could happen is for Franson to wind up in VAN and play for DSF’s Canucks.

107. Pouzar says:

“That’s when The Call mercifully came. His agent told him he was going to Edmonton for the 57th, 79th and 184th picks.

In a moment, Talbot went from stressed to elated. ”

108. slopitch says:

Pouzar: Franson

You’d think Mark Spector would the guy in charge of thespec.com

109. Connor'sreal says:

slopitch,

I was thinking the same – even had my finger over the back button on my keyboard before I clicked the link, just in case.

But considering the author includes a phone number at the bottom of the article, it couldn’t be any more different.

110. Truth says:

With the reports that Ehrhoff is willing to take a one year deal at a presumably cheap price I think he would be the perfect candidate for the Oilers. At worst he is better than Nikitin and Ference, and it’s only a one year contract. Best case is he returns to his previous form after seeing it as an opportunity to play a feature role on a team with a lot of eyes on them this year. A good year and he could cash in on a longer term with his next contract.

If they are still short a top two D next off-season they’ll have lost Nikitin’s cap hit and can take a run at a one of the interesting names possibly available in Byfuglien, Seabrook, Goligoski, Hamhuis, Coburn and others.

111. Bad Seed says:

I think Pete’s keeping his powder dry. Why bother with the likes of Franson and Oduya when he doesn’t need to make a move. Nobody expects playoffs this year, just improvement. I say that he waits for the right #1 or #2 defenceman to materialize (if he does) during the season on that fabled 3 for 1. Otherwise, get that big boy next offseason out of that free agent crop. It’s gotta be better than this one. Why commit yourself to someone for years if you don’t really want him? Get Ehrhoff for 1 year.

112. Connor'sreal says:

Bootstrap Effexor,

I grew up next door to Dorothy, and had to be super vigilant in my efforts to avoid the dreaded cooties (we called them germs though).

But when the other neighborhood boys weren’t around, it was cool because her Dad drove a Nova and she had a kick-ass swing set. Her Mom made delightful pastries, too.

113. Hockey News: Penguins for Sale; Where will Johnny Oduya Play? The Hockey Writers says:

[…] be returning to Chicago afterall. [Sportsnet]. Where will he land? Probably not in Edmonton. [Lowetide]. Definitely not Buffalo. [Die by the […]

114. Really? says:

PhrankLee,

Based on your lake story, I guess it would depend on how deep the water is. If it is only seven feet deep then Franson would probably survive.

115. Pechetr says:

Oduya signs in Dallas 2 x 3.75. That’s not long term at all….Hmmmmm.

116. Pajamah says:

Schultz 1 year 3.9 as per Friedman

117. Spoils says:

love to see Oduya class it up in an Oilers jersey, but my vote is we go out and make a major blockbuster trade for a true blue norris prospect under 26 that can be the second best player on our team.

We have the assets to make the trade, it will be an ultra-rare blockbuster trade, but there’s no dynasty without making that move.