TRAINING CAMP HOPEFULS NO. 3: LAURENT BROSSOIT

The Edmonton Oilers are changing the guard in goal this summer but if things work out as Laurent Brossoit hopes, it won’t be a clean sweep. Brossoit, who missed being the first modern Oil King to play for the Oilers (David Musil beat him by a few days), was stunning in his NHL debut and left a very good impression on everyone: 1GP, 2.00 .961. THAT is a stunning line any time, but for an NHL debut? Get outta here. Laurent Brossoit stepped into the best league in the world and stoned a good offensive team for most of the night.

We knew it was going to be an interesting season in 2014-15 for Brossoit because he was projected to get significant work in Oklahoma City (with Richard Bachman). He also brought a new maturity to his approach:

• Laurent Brossoit: “I simplified my game. I used to think that the harder I worked and the harder I moved, the harder it is to score on me. But I’ve kind of learned through all of the goalie coaches I’ve been fortunate enough to have been coached by that I am big enough so the less I do is more. The more positionally sound I am and the more calm, cool and collected I am the harder it will be to beat me.” Source

BARONS GOALTENDING 2014-15

barons goaling

This is a terrific line for Brossoit, his save percentage during the regular season matched the veteran and his four shutouts are also a nice number. Combined with his NHL debut, I think it’s fair to suggest that no AHL player did more to further his NHL cause a year ago than did Laurent Brossoit. He finished inside the AHL’s top 20 in save percentage during his first full season in the league, which compares well to Devan Dubnyk’s first AHL season. I had his RE at .902 so am well pleased with the performance.

LAURENT BROSSOIT OKC RE 15-16:  55GP, 2.50 .922

LAURENT BROSSOIT RE 15-16: 3GP, 2.70 .909

1. Is he a legit option for future No. 1? Yes, absolutely. He’s still in his entry-level deal and followed up a quality ECHL season (.922 SP in Bakersfield) with another one in the AHL (.918SP in OKC). This after a quality junior career. Laurent Brossoit is bona fide.
  2. Should he get several games in the NHL this season? It depends on how the year goes. He might not play at all in Edmonton if Cam Talbot grabs the job, or Ben Scrivens recovers, or both. And of course there’s the new goalie Nilsson to keep in mind.
  3. Is his progress surprising? On some level, yes. Brossoit was not a high draft pick (No. 164 overall in 2011) and despite a strong junior career I don’t think most people felt he’d progress this handsomely.
  4. Who are the best goalies from the 2011 draft? John Gibson, Magnus Hellberg, Anton Forsberg, Nathan Lieuwen and Scott Wilson have all played NHL games, Gibson is the top prospect. Brossoit is in there somewhere.
  5. Did MacT win the Smid trade? God yes.
  6. Would you be surprised to see Brossoit play more than the three NHL games you have projected? Yes. I think Talbot will secure the top job and the battle is between Scrivens and Nilsson for the backup job. Brossoit may be the future, but he’s the final option for NHL backup and that won’t change no matter his TC performance.
  7. If you had to pick one Oilers’ prospect goalie, aside from Brossoit, to bet on playing in the NHL, who would it be? Anders Nilsson.
  8. He’s not a prospect. Zach Nagelvoort. But it’s all voodoo.

43 Responses to "TRAINING CAMP HOPEFULS NO. 3: LAURENT BROSSOIT"

1. Hammers says:

Goalies . Sometimes damned with them but need them . Would love to see him succeed.

2. Hammers says:

One more thing I think 3 pair is the way to go . McD and Hall , Nuge and Ebs , Leon and Pouliot . Top 9 add YAk , Purcell and Lander .

3. blainer says:

The more the better with Tenders

4. cc says:

Hammers:

I think the pairs is the best option for the Oiler’s, if they can have Eberle free to be the wildcard. Personally, I’d like options like this.

McDavid-Hall
    Nuge-Pouliot
    Drai-Yakupov

It would allow them to play Eberle on either line depending upon the matchup. Also running Drai and Yak would essentially be the Oiler’s 4th line. The Oiler’s could also 2ble shift players as needed.

You could run a shift of Nuge or Yak with McDavid & Hall. Put Hall or Pouliot with Drai & Yak.

Hammers:

Benoit Pouliot isn’t playing in Bakersfield.

120 days “walking the streets of Bakersfield” will do Leon a world of good. Check off the damn box.

6. Melman says:

Kinda nice that LB had his one outstanding game for his (well not quite) new coach.

Please for the love of all that is right, let’s hope they listen to Godot on Leon. He was right about Dallas 🙂

7. RexLibris says:

Did MacTavish win the Smid trade?

Take a look at Smid on the Vollman graph.

It is ugly and then some.

Ryan is already writing about Smid as a potential cap hit issue for next season: http://flamesnation.ca/2015/7/25/next-summer-s-salary-cap-tightens-for-flames

And Kent is ballparking Monahan and Gaudreau’s next contracts here http://flamesnation.ca/2015/7/27/projecting-monahan-and-gaudreau-s-next-cap-hits

We lost Horak overseas and Roy hasn’t been anything particularly noteworthy since the move but I don’t think you could swap Smid for Brossoit straight across right now.

8. Wonder Llama says:

I thought I saw Laurent Brossoit, I thought I saw Laurent Brossoit.

Hey fellas, hey fellas! Laurent Brossoit!

In a net jam.

9. Ca$h-McMoney! says:

No love for Eetu Laurkng&(#…..

No love for the Finn LT? HE’S A FINN!

10. Hammers says:

godot10: Benoit Pouliot isn’t playing in Bakersfield.

120 days “walking the streets of Bakersfield” will do Leon a world of good.Check off the damn box.

Are you kidding me. Your a laugh a minute . Leon plays in Edmonton if these newbies know what the hell there doing . His more suited as an NHL player than Nuge or Yak where .

11. Yeti says:

Off topic, but this might be of interest RE: the use of analytics in other sports.

How Midtjylland took the analytical route towards the Champions League

12. Hammers says:

The only way Leon should be on the farm this year is if they add another free agent or are screwed by the cap . His more ready to play than most drafted players .

13. Hammers says:

Decide how you want this team developed? Do you give McDavid a spot as his your generational player or do you give the older player, bigger player who I see as a star in this league the AHL treatment . If they do there screwing themselves and the player . Leon needs to play actually Nurse does to . Use what you have and they will grow together

14. geowal says:

RexLibris,

If you don’t trade Smid you don’t sign Ference (right?) . That alone could make the trade a loss for me.

15. John Chambers says:

Broissoit’s development is key for the Oilers to keep their netminding costs low.

Let’s assume Talbot is the goods and gets re- signed in January to a $10M / 3 deal, Broissoit could serve as an inexpensive caddy, making the total cap hit for goalies a bargain-basement $4M.

Between low-cost goaltending and Nurse, Draisaitl, and Reinhart all on ELCs, the Oil could add a pricey D to play on the top-pair without needing to part with any core players.

16. John Chambers says:

geowal:
    RexLibris,

Ference was already signed well prior to the Smid trade.

17. Gret99zky says:

Whatever mistake they made with Leon last year, they had better not repeat this year.

18. JD¡™ David O'Connor's Reel says:

Gret99zky: Whatever mistake they made with Leon last year

I’m much more confident in McLellan and Chiarelli to make the correct decision on Leon this fall.

19. leadfarmer says:

The chemistry Smid had with Petry still makes this a loss. Although finally a training camp hopeful that actually has more than a 1% chance to make the team. Moroz has no chance and Musil may get a call up if the infirmiry fills up later this season. Brossoit at least has a chance to beat out Scrivens

20. leadfarmer says:

Gret99zky,

I don’t understand this comment . They ran into trouble because of stupid rules that make Drai play either in the NHL, which he was not ready for, or the Whl, which he was too good for. Next year if he still needs more time to grow he can go to the Ahl, where he should have been last year.

21. G Money says:

For Esks fans … I thought this was amusing enough to tweet about it:

Esks have game in hand on Stamps. To match Calgary's record and points differential, #Esks must lose the next game 68-0.— Oilers Nerd Alert (@OilersNerdAlert) July 28, 2015

22. Ca$h-McMoney! says:

leadfarmer,

The chemistry wit Petry was an illusion, at least later on. Marincin proved that.

It was just that Petry was good.

23. leadfarmer says:

Ca$h-McMoney!,

Illusion? They put up decent numbers together. Sure Petry propped up Smid some but Smid was a lot better with him than other D he’s played with since.

24. Gret99zky says:

WRT goaltending, I hope Scrivens is working hard this off season to improve his game.

He needs a bounce-back year or may “also in photo” his career.

Given his salary, I wonder if new management will play the best duo?

25. CofC says:

I’m sorry;

I can’t believe there are those on this blog pining for the “Smid” days…

Wow

26. elgruntus says:

geowal:
    RexLibris,

They used Smid’s money to get Bryz, if memory serves…

27. JD¡™ David O'Connor's Reel says:

/derail

From the talk about Howe in the last piece:

As his career just started going, however, Howe sustained the worst injury of his career, fracturing his skull after an attempt to check Toronto Maple Leafs captain Ted Kennedy into the boards went awry during the 1950 playoffs. The severity of the fracture was such that he was taken to the hospital for emergency surgery in order to relieve building pressure on his brain.[3] The next season, he returned to record 86 points, winning the scoring title by 20 points.

Gordie didn’t ‘ease into’ the next season because of the emotional impact of getting his head cracked open. He lit up the league in points, which would mean that he also punched up more than a few faces along the way and wore out a pair or two of elbow pads.

Elite AND mean? Understatement of the millennium.

As for a player from the modern area that guys like Eberle could study, I recommend Dino Ciccarelli. Smaller player with skill and carving prowess.

28. leadfarmer says:

CofC,

Well when you have just had Ference, Nikitin, Schultz, sometimes Aulie as your dmen

29. RexLibris says:

elgruntus: They used Smid’s money to get Bryz, if memory serves…

Sweet Zombie Jeezuz! The Oilers traded Ladislav Smid for Nikita Nikitin!

😉

30. geowal says:

John Chambers,

Right you are.

31. LadiesloveSmid says:

RexLibris: Whom they flipped for a pick which they…uh…later traded for the…um…rights to…ohgod…Nikitin.

Sweet Zombie Jeezuz! The Oilers traded Ladislav Smid for Nikita Nikitin!

?

the pick they got for Bryz they used on Lagesson

pick they got for N Schultz they used for Nikitin

32. RexLibris says:

G Money:
    For Esks fans … I thought this was amusing enough to tweet about it:

Saw that today.

The only real concern I have right now is that the Eskimos have won against some middle to weak teams (yes, I know the Redblacks were 2-0, but they are still a franchise finding their feet).

33. Chachi says:

RexLibris,

Hey man, Zombie Jeezuz didn’t rise from the dead and eat all kinds of Roman brains so that we could make fun of Nikita Nikitin… Wait, it seems that he did; carry on sir.

34. G Money says:

RexLibris,

True. Then again, the Stamps have played two of those teams, and lost once to a team the Esks dominated twice, and in the other case squeaked out a last second victory over another team the Oilers dominated.

Meanwhile, the wails, cries and whines about the loss of Cornhole are reverberating here in Cowtown.

Meanwhile the Esks just go about their business with their third string running back.

Not to mention their second (and third) string QB.

I’d say the 68-0 differential is close to full value!

35. Kitchener says:

LT – I just saw the ’99 & 17 Magic’ video in your ON post today. Magical.

Here’s my summer request: a post entitled “In Search of McKurri”

Jari Kurri is simultaneously the luckiest and most deserving Oiler of his era. What do we know about the McKurri candidates from the current group and who has the most McKurri potential? Not for 2015-16 (where I thoroughly agree that Hall is the man), but for the whole McDavid era?

On topic, here’s hoping Brossoit has a great 15-16 campaign, but that he’s needed in Edmonton for precisely zero games.

36. bassguy says:

Kitchener,

Hi Kitchener(formally Berlin)..haha..I love Kitchener Ont….But there is a Paris and London near by..I guess they felt they had to change the name after WW2..anyways I watched that “99 and 17” magic as well and just kept laughing at how pissed the goalies looked!..yes, thanks LT!

37. RexLibris says:

LadiesloveSmid: the pick they got for Bryz they used on Lagesson

pick they got for N Schultz they used for Nikitin

Don’t be hatin’ on my narrative, man!

🙂

38. RexLibris says:

G Money:
    RexLibris,

True.Then again, the Stamps have played two of those teams, and lost once to a team the Esks dominated twice, and in the other case squeaked out a last second victory over another team the Oilers dominated.

Not to mention their second (and third) string QB.

I’d say the 68-0 differential is close to full value!

Cornish injured? Hadn’t heard that.

I live in (seemingly) eternal anticipation of the day when we can sweep the season against the Stamps (post season, as well) and lay a 50-point whupping on them on Labour Day.

Jones is one hell of a coach the way he has built in redundancy at key positions.

Stafford today said he didn’t even know Franklin was in for NIchols until two plays into the series. Which may or may not say something about Stafford’s attention to detail in the huddle. 🙂

You sound like living in the YYC media bubble is starting to get to you. Do you want us to send you a care package?

39. bassguy says:

also, but it is archived(my opinion and post) and I liked the trade MacT did for Brossoit..he was so great for the oilkings?…but yes, goalies are voodoo…I understand that so much through this blog..so, thanks again LT

Kitchener:
    LT – I just saw the ’99 & 17 Magic’ video in your ON post today.Magical.

Here’s my summer request:a post entitled “In Search of McKurri”

Jari Kurri is simultaneously the luckiest and most deserving Oiler of his era.What do we know about the McKurri candidates from the current group and who has the most McKurri potential?Not for 2015-16 (where I thoroughly agree that Hall is the man), but for the whole McDavid era?

Kurri was amazing. So was the other guy. 🙂

41. oilswell says:

Wonder Llama:
    I thought I saw Laurent Brossoit, I thought I saw Laurent Brossoit.

Hey fellas, hey fellas! Laurent Brossoit!

In a net jam.

Nice! That album doesn’t get as much love as lc but I think it’s great: I can listen to it a LOT still, not just the hits.

42. Ivan says:

Regarding the whole “toughness” discussion from the last thread, check out Mr. Hockey cranking in a tuna, or perhaps a killer whale.

I’m not sure he needed the miniscule shoulder pads he wore. #oldtimestrong

43. GCW_69 says:

Hammers:

What colour is the sky in your world?

Leon himself admitted he was not ready for the NHL last season. He spent the rest of the season in junior beating up on kids.

How does that set him up to be a sure fire NHLer? Why do you want to rush him? The Oilers have the depth up front to let him develop in the AHL proving himself against men before stepping up to the NHL. Be patient. Let him grow into the NHL role.