RE 15-16 TEDDY PURCELL: LONDON CALLING

The trade for Teddy Purcell was a classic case of “I’ll trade you my problem for your problem” which is often followed by a fresh coat of paint, two months to allow it to dry, and some spackle. It helps, it really does. Example: How many times in the last year, since the trade, have you thought about the deal MacT gave Sam Gagner? Point made.

TEDDY PURCELL 13-14

• 5×5 points per 60: 1.37 (7th among regular forwards)
  • 5×4 points per 60: 3.34 (7th among regular forwards)
  • Qual Comp: 6th toughest among regular forwards (second-line opp)
  • Qual Team: 4th best teammates among regular forwards (second-line teammates)
  • Corsi Rel: 8.9 (best among regular forwards)
  • Corsi for % 5×5: 53.6
  • Corsi for % Rel 5×5: +3.5
  • Zone Start: 56.2% (2nd easiest among regular forwards)
  • Zone Finish: 52.0% (2nd best among regular forwards)
  • Shots on goal/percentage: 157/7.64%
  • Boxcars: 81, 12-30-42

TEDDY PURCELL 14-15

• 5×5 points per 60: 1.20 (7th among regular forwards)
  • 5×4 points per 60: 3.91 (2nd among regular forwards)
  • Qual Comp: 6th toughest among regular forwards (second-line opp)
  • Qual Team: 8th best teammates among regular forwards (third-line teammates)
  • Corsi Rel: 4.4
  • Corsi for % 5×5: 49.2
  • Zone Start: 58.7%
  • Zone Finish: 53.8%
  • Shots on goal/percentage: 146/8.2%
  • Boxcars: 82, 12-22-34

VOLLMAN SLEDGEHAMMER

oilers f 1415 vollman

RE 14-15 REVIEW

purcell black

RE 15-16: 81GP, 12-27-39 .481

1. Was it was a good season? He was just a hair below true blue on the Vollman but that’s a decent color for a veteran on a ghastly team. You’re not going to get $4.5M value but that was known going in. If you ask ‘did he perform more effectively than Sam Gagner would have?’ the answer is yes.
  2. Sam Gagner had a better year. Gagner was better 5×5 (1.41) but less effective (2.84) with the man advantage.
  3. Purcell got a big ZS push. Everyone but the Gordon line did, so that’s not really news.
  4. Shouldn’t he deliver more EV offense with that ZS push though? Yes, I’d say that’s a weakness for sure. He played a lot with Derek Roy and Nail Yakupov and didn’t post a lot of offense. Very productive with Boyd Gordon believe it or not, David Perron before he left.
  5. Maybe it was slow guys sticking together? Ah, well, I don’t really think so. Gordon isn’t a fab offensive player, suspect it’s just random luck that Purcell’s 5×5/60 with Gordon was 2.52.
  6. What is he good at? Power play, puck skills, he’s terrific with the puck. A very nice player in that area, I like him more than I thought I would—sometimes that happens when a veteran comes over.
  7. Who was your favorite veteran acquisition over the years? Tony Perez. Reds dealt him to the Expos one winter they were looking for pitching and man that guy could swing the lumber.
  8. No, you knob. Oilers acquisition? Chris Pronger. I loved him.
  9. You’re depressing. Well, things are looking up!
  10. Purcell won’t be here when the good times roll. You don’t know that. He’s training this summer and that tells me Purcell feels there’s an opportunity here. If he can spend time in the top 6F on this team, the boxcars will get him another contract. Who knows? Edmonton might bring him back.
  11. What about Yakupov? What about Yakupov?
  12. I can’t believe you Jones’d him. Ass. Look, we’re through Nail’s entry-level deal and this team has two more forwards with massive draft pedigree knocking on the door. I’m all-in on the Russian, want him to be a feature player, but I have to tell you this is reasonable expectations and all the kids with questions are getting docked RE, based on the new coach coming in.
  13. Yeah, but Yak is better than Purcell? Then he’ll show it and we’ll both be happy. As it is, it’s always wise to assume the veteran coach will prefer the veteran over the youngster until the gap is obvious and consistently obvious. Nail may or may not be there, we’ll see in the winter time.
  14. What about Leon? I think Draisaitl is going to make it very difficult on McLellan. Sending down a player who offers you a range of skills plus size is a tough thing to do. I think in some ways Leon will be more intriguing to the coach than Nail. The German has a lot of things that are going to be extremely useful 5×4 and that’s McLellan’s wheelhouse.
  15. Who do you like among the wingers outside the NHL? In order of NHL impact 2015-16. Among offensive wingers. Iiro Pakarinen, Anton Slepyshev, Andrew Miller, Greg Chase, Josh Winquist, Connor Rankin, Braden Christoffer.
  16. Pakarinen over Slepy? For now, Iiro ripped up the AHL, we haven’t seen that from the Russian yet.
  17. Ideally, who does Purcell play with? The difficulty in projecting the RW’s is Jordan Eberle is the best fit for both the McDavid and Nuge lines. So, I think 14 gets time with both, leaving Purcell as the No. 2 man unless Nail, Leon or Korpikoski can push ahead of the veteran. The RE bet is that Purcell wins the day more often than the others but this could be a season-long item.
  18. Any chance a Pakarinen steps in? Sure, or Slepyshev, absolutely. I think that would be more likely in McLellan’s second camp and Purcell can put this all to rest by having an effective season—it’s his job right now.
  19. You seem pretty sure of Purcell He’s 29 and in the walk year of his deal. The $4.5M pay days are coming to an end—the cap crunch and more money spent on elite talents will take care of that—and he needs a strong season to ensure future employment.
  20. Will McLellan prefer a different player-type? He might, that’s why I have a keen interest in Pakarinen this fall. If McLellan wants a rugged winger and more speed, then it’s possible we see Leon in the minors plus a 3line with Purcell AND Yakupov on the wings. I don’t think it’s terribly likely but a more rugged option might be the coach’s decision.
  21. Like a Troy Brouwer or a Joel Ward? I think someone with grit but also faster. One of the things Purcell doesn’t bring is a lot of speed, suspect the club wants to have (eventually) six fast trains on the top two lines. I’ve mentioned Curtis Glencross a few times, if he still has his speed that might be an answer.
  22. Last time: Do you honestly expect Todd McLellan to play Teddy Purcell ahead of Nail Yakupov? Yes. That’s the bet here.
  23. I think you’re wrong. I hope I’m wrong, but last time I saw Nail he was still an adventure and the veteran C assigned to him wasn’t signed. Now the team has Connor McDavid (and Leon Draisaitl) and Yak has the look of Magnus Paajarvin in about 2011 fall.
  24. Bad timing, that’s all? Yes. Yes.
  25. Why this song for Purcell? As soon as I started thinking about this series, “London is drowning and I live by the river” clicked as a perfect line for a player who could be looking at professional extinction. If the Thames floods, London drowns. That’s why Purcell is working with Gary Roberts instead of lying in the sun—he’s trying to stay ahead of these blasted Pakarinen’s and their damnable youth. I think he finds a way to hold back the water, this season. He could outlast the Russian if he finds chem with one of the top two pairs up front.

104 Responses to "RE 15-16 TEDDY PURCELL: LONDON CALLING"

Today on the Lowdown 10am on TSN1260.

1. Scott Zerr, Oilers Nation. Scott is based in Bakersfield and we’ll talk about the city.
    2. Jeff Krushell, Krush Sports. Blue Jays!
    3. Chris O’Leary, Edmonton Journal. The Eskimos have a QB controversy. Or do they?
    4. Jesse Spector, Sporting News. Baseball’s deadline gone wild.

10-1260 text, @Lowetide twitter. We’ll find an Oiler thing or two to chat about I’m sure.

2. Ice Sage says:

Great watershed album in the history of modern music – never ages, thanks LT, for a rousing start to a Tuesday.
    Purcell can be better than he was last year, as seen in Tampa. Good to hear he’s motivated.

3. mattwatt says:

Know it is likely a few days away, but I am (for some reason) excited to see song selected for Yakupov.

Thinking it will likely be sad, morose and talk about a love that started strong only to fade out to embers.

I am hoping that the song proves to be wrong, but I have a feeling it isn’t.

4. flyfish1168 says:

I would like to see the Oilers play a very high speed pressure game.
    I really feel the game has changed towards the direction of speed and more speed. Unfortunately Ted doesn’t bring it. Veteran or not if you don’t have speed and skating ability you don’t have it in today’s NHL.
    Unfortunately for Teddy that is not what he brings to the table at his price tag. Time to move on. There are other players that can use his ice time. JMHO

5. Hammers says:

Purcell fits into a top 9 on a goal scoring team especially if his working out . I would resign at 2.75 but no more . He needs to be in the 45 point range to keep him at that price .

6. Hammers says:

With potential for a top 3 lines he could fit easily and my guess is that’s why his working out with Hall and McDavid .

7. HiddenDarts says:

There was a lot of talk here about Ted being a buyout candidate, but I feel like he’ll make a lot of people eat their words. Another stinker year and he’s considering PTOs or Europe.

It’s also important to note that he had bottom 10 PDO last year. Not as unlucky as Draisaitl according to stats, but considering the sample size, maybe more unlucky.

Nothing like a motivated player. Same with Nikitin, although I feel like signing him was just an awful, awful move.

Agreed totally on Sam Gagner. Another season of “also in photo” would probably have brought out the torches n’ tar.

8. flyfish1168 says:

mattwatt:

I am hoping that the song proves to be wrong, but I have a feeling it isn’t.

Mclellan with experience and a better understanding of the game won’t make the same mistake. I truly believe Nail will come in a year more mature and he seems like a player that wants the challenge to prove his worth. Example of this is his contract he signed and his development post eakins. JMHO

9. Hammers says:

For Pakirinen or Slepy to take his job they both have to be more defensively aware . Once that truly happens they both have a shot in the top 9 . Just feel Purcells job to loose and I bet that’s why his working out plus a new contract.

10. Ice Sage says:

mattwatt:

I am hoping that the song proves to be wrong, but I have a feeling it isn’t.

Nail is a fully-loaded air strike now, thus he should rock the casbah this year

11. Ducey says:

I can’t see the Oilers bringing back Edward next year. Purcell isn’t fast enough, isn’t strong defensively, and doesn’t inject any grit into the lineup – something they definitely need from a utility player.

On the other hand, he isn’t MPS – trying to find his way and leaning on tools and potential. The Oilers have relied upon those type of guys for too long.

Purcell is a useful player. He can play with skill and has the veteran savvy the Oilers lack.

But they can get 35 points and some grit from any number of UFA’s on the cheap.

Most likely scenario is they look to trade him at the deadline and give his icetime to a younger player.

12. mumbai max says:

Hammers,

He’s. Not his

Their. Not there.

Lose. Not loose

13. Drew says:

Ice Sage,

Recently purchased “London Calling” CD for my 16 year old son…

I am working from home today and sitting at my desk wearing a t-shirt with this album picture on it as well. Achieving my own Zen, the universe is in perfect alignment.

Ahhh McDavid.

14. Rake 2.0 says:

Bohologo,

Could be Lost in the Supermarket

15. LMHF#1 says:

I have to say it’s somewhat amazing that Purcell is able to be a useful player.

He’s completely allergic to hits. Both giving them and taking them. One of the weirdest style NHL players I’ve ever seen. If he were a Euro, he wouldn’t be in the league. (not that that would be right either)

16. Pouzar says:

17. DBO says:

penguins just traded Sutter and a 3rd to the canucks for Bonino and another prospect and a 2nd

18. Bag of Pucks says:

Combine the colour of that Vollman dot with his -33 and that says everything about Teddy Ruxpin for me.

Vanilla player to the max with zero edge & defensive effort. Linemates like this are not helping Yak learn good habits.

The only explanation I have for the team not buying him out and acquiring a cheaper, much better two way option is that Katz is too cheap to pay for buyouts?

19. wheatnoil says:

Here’s a look at the passing data on Purcell. Usual caveats apply (first year they’re doing this and only tracked about 15 or so Oiler games).

Purcell may not have footspeed and he may not be overly physical, but his strength is in puck handling and distribution and it shows in the passing data. He’s among the league leaders CC% (that’s percentage of offensive corsi events that he’s involved in… when offense happens while Purcell is on the ice, he’s usually driving it).

Another interesting stat is the unfortunately named “SC SAG”. Despite it’s poor name, it measures something really cool… passes into the “home plate” area that leads to a shot. Purcell looks really good by this measure too.

The thing about Purcell is that what he does well, he does really well, if the passing data is to be trusted. The question is, can the Oilers put him in a position where his lack of physicality and poor footspeed are less of an issue to get the most benefit from him this coming year. He did will on the PP last year and I think this is a good reason to get 2nd PP time.

20. bendelson says:

London Calling on vinyl… The prize of my humble little collecrion.
    Great stuff LT.

Though I must admit to mixing song lyrics – I had thought London was burning.
    Huh.

Now I have it straight:

“London is drowning and I live (in a van down) by the river”.

—–

Here’s to ‘Groucho’ finding another gear (2nd?) this season.

—–

It’s a long summer…

21. Rondo says:

DBO:
    penguins just traded Sutter and a 3rdto the canucks for Bonino and another prospect and a 2nd

22. russ99 says:

I’m hopeful that Chairelli and McLellan make final roster decisions based on 5 x 5 on both sides of the ice. We have enough options that can produce 5 x 4 anyway.

So yeah, Purcell could make more sense than Draisaitl at this point, and when we trade Purcell by the deadline, Draisaltl will get that extra taste of AHL development time that all but the best prospects need.

23. Ca$h-McMoney! says:

Rondo,

I was under the impression that Nick Bonino was better than Brandon Sutter. I could be convinced otherwise… weird.

Can anyone explain this trade to me?

24. Oddspell says:

Ca$h-McMoney!,

Without delving into the advanced stats, I know Sutter had 21 goals to bonino’s 15 last year. Maybe Vancouver thinks he’ll flourish in a more central role.

25. wheatnoil says:

Rondo: Brandon Sutter and a third-round pick from the Pittsburgh Penguins in exchange for Nick Bonino, Adam Clendening and a 2016 second-round pick.

Terrible trade for the Canucks.

Which means it’s a good trade for the Oilers!

My God that’s an awful trade.

27. RMGS says:

mattwatt:

I am hoping that the song proves to be wrong, but I have a feeling it isn’t.

This may be more fitting for the oft dismissed afterthought that has been Nail Yakupov:

Rock-n-Roll Victim, by Death

28. Ca$h-McMoney! says:

Is Trevor Linden the new Garth Snow?

(Obviously Garth Snow isn’t the new Garth Snow.)

29. Pajamah says:

Lowetide: My God that’s an awful trade.

Word is they’ve run out of N in Pittsburgh

30. RexLibris says:

Lowetide: My God that’s an awful trade.

Which way?

31. RexLibris says:

Pajamah: And the Pens signed Eric Fehr. Replaced the center and got Bonino and Clenndenning.

Word is they’ve run out of N in Pittsburgh

Now the move makes sense.

Nikita Nikitin to Pittsburgh, anyone? Add another three Ns to the pile!

Chris Pronger is a prick. The best Oiler acquisition ever was Doug Weight. He saved the franchise more than any other player.

33. Pajamah says:

RexLibris: Now the move makes sense.

Nikita Nikitin to Pittsburgh, anyone? Add another three Ns to the pile!

34. LMHF#1 says:

Word is they’ve run out of N in Pittsburgh

35. Cobbler says:

My feeling on Purcell is that he is particularly adept at carrying the puck into the zone under control. Protects the puck well and is fairly good at distributing. Often I recall his linemates being on a change when he was entering the zone and thus the play generally ended with a soft dump in the corner or a peripheral shot on net.

I think is ability to control the puck upon entry into the offensive zone will be a big asset to the team this year, particularly if he is paired with a set of highly skilled and fast linemates.

I see him as being a strong complement on a line with Hall and McDavid. Makes sense that he is working out with them in August.

The best distribution of skill and veteran coverage is for the Oilers to run the following lines to start the season.

Pouliot-Nuge-Eberle
    Hall-McDavid-Purcell

Eberle, Purcell and Yakupov can change as the situation and match-ups require.

36. bendelson says:

RMGS: If a 29 year old pending UFA from which one can reasonably expect only 39 points plays ahead of Yak, then kiss him goodbye for draft picks come the new year.

Though some folks around here have suggested by playing them together Yakupov will ‘ruin’ McDavid, I am sticking with the crazy notion that this McDavid fellow is really, really good and will in fact ‘save’ Yakupov. One can hope.

37. LMHF#1 says:

godot10:
    Chris Pronger is a prick.

So what? Stanleys don’t care.

And if the past few years have taught you anything at all…shouldn’t it be obvious that competent management probably could have saved that situation? Or at least turned it into something decent?

38. tsunami says:

LMHF#1: Well hell…that’s an awesome deal for Fehr. Would have been the perfect add if the crap on the Oilers roster had been cleared out or never acquired.

Feel pretty much the same… Very good deal imo

//Last time: Do you honestly expect Todd McLellan to play Teddy Purcell ahead of Nail Yakupov? Yes. That’s the bet here.//

This is the wrong way to frame it. McLellan is going to play Yakupov in a position where he can succeed, and that is mostly like with Lander or Letestu and NOT with McDavid or Nugent-Hopkins.

40. CofC says:

I think Purcell brings value to the PP, as he is able to handle and distribute the puck well, has significant NHL experience, and has more room to breathe (suits his style and relative lack of speed c/w 5v5);

Nail regressed after year 1 – I think this had more to do with being squeezed to play more defensively, compounded by language and cultural challenges, and likely Eakin’s coaching style (From what I’ve seen from Eakins, he likely tried to simplify one or two concepts for Yak to work on consistently, and knowing Yak like we do, he probably took it to heart and put greater emphasis on this than his offensive game; Not only that, but under the constant fan and media pressure, amplified by his agent’s dealings publicly, he likely became very confused and lost confidence in himself – a treacherous combination).

Nail will bounce back (he started to show signs of this late in the season), and in fact, if he maintains self confidence and plays with a skilled and responsible Centre, we will see the Yakupov that we initially expected; Guys as talented as Yak (do yourself a favour and watch his draft year highlight reels on YouTube) don’t go away unless they’re neglected and left to die on the bench or on an under-skilled line; Getting the Yak back is high priority – the man needs time in the top 6 and a coach that gives him some rope; New guys coming in need that fine coaching balance of accountability vs license to freewheel; He missed out on that experience and therefore regressed. He needs to be given that opportunity going forward before he truly takes off. And he will.

So I think Yak is the best fit for 2L RW – mated with Nuge or McD, and under experienced tutelage in Todd Mclellan, this gentleman will thrive.

41. Pouzar says:

RexLibris: Which way? On the surface it looks to me like the Canucks won that deal and Rutherford is burning daylight with two franchise centers on his team. If I were a Penguins fan right now I’d be absolutely foaming at the mouth that they have wasted the last six years of Crosby’s career and appear set to piss away another four.Maybe Bonino is something better than I’d imagined, but this trade feels like they let the interns man the phones while the GM took a long lunch.

42. wheatnoil says:

RexLibris: Which way?

Sutter, himself, is a UFA after this season while Bonino has two years left.

In my books, it’s not clear that Sutter is actually better than Bonino, plus the Canucks gave up Clendenning (who seems to be a good young D prospect about ready to challenge for the NHL) and the higher draft pick.

I think it’s Penguins in a walk.

43. franksterra says:

mattwatt: excited to see song selected for Yakupov.

Indoor Fireworks?

44. RexLibris says:

Pajamah: Anything that gets this team one of Derek Pouliot or Olli Maata I’m good with. Neither has a N either, so they’re expendable.

I’ve been high on Maata for awhile now.

This coming season will prove interesting because I’ve long been curious to see how Jankowski develops relative to Maata, Teravainen and others that Feaster and Weisbrod passed on in 2012.

45. adamjames says:

You know, if his off season regiment doesn’t result in playing with Hall and McDavid, a strong argument could be made his RE song shoulda been “Train in Vain”.

46. RexLibris says:

wheatnoil: I think you’re under-rating Bonino. He put 2.0 p/60 at even-strength, while playing tougher zone starts, and had solid possession numbers. All that and he costs much less than Sutter, allowing the Penguins to sign Fehr as well.

Sutter, himself, is a UFA after this season while Bonino has two years left.

I think it’s Penguins in a walk.

Thanks for that. I hadn’t yet formed much of an opinion on Bonino but figured Sutter to be a decent 3rd line C.

So Pens in a walk, then.

Hmmm, I wonder how you-know-who is taking this?

47. Pajamah says:

RexLibris: I’ve been high on Maata for awhile now.

Who???

I kid.

But in all seriousness, even with Klefbom, Nurse, and Reinhart, I’d still love to see the Oilers go after one of those guys. Behind Sekera, and the 3 kids, I only see one dimensional D (Musil, Simpson defensively, LaLeggia as MA Bergeron)

48. Rake 2.0 says:

adamjames,

adamjames:

Well played sir.

49. RexLibris says:

Pajamah: Who???

I kid.

I’d projected him as a 3rd liner in a shutdown role, initially as a winger because of Backlund’s presence but perhaps he replaces Backlund in two years’ time.

Either way, I think we’re looking at a disappointing prospect to have been taken 21st overall and ahead of other, more highly-skilled players.

50. slopitch says:

If the Canucks make a move or 2 more like this you might wanna start talking fullon rebuild there. Sedins are 34, Hamius 32, Burrows isnt that good anymore (and 34). Miller sucks and is overpaid. They have Horvat, Edler and Tanvev but not much else and each trade they make is doing more harm then good.

51. Mtl-oiler says:

Hypothetical situation.
    What do the Oilers do if Purcell is sitting around 20G and 50PTS at the trade dead line and we’re 5 or 6 points out of a playoff spot.
    Do you still trade him?
    Do you gamble that you lose him for nothing at the end of the season?
    Do you try and resign him?
    Do you want a player who only gives 100% when its his contract year looking for a big pay out and then disappears?

52. Ducey says:

slopitch: .The Sedins may not want to stick around. Get on the phone and bid on Hamius or Edler.

There is no point. The Canucks won’t trade with the Oilers. Stupid organizations make stupid rules.

53. Drew says:

Mtl-oiler:
    Hypothetical situation.
    Do you still trade him?
    Do you gamble that you lose him for nothing at the end of the season?
    Do you try and resign him?

we act like we won the lottery and get the best return we can.

54. Bruce McCurdy says:

Ca$h-McMoney!:
    Is Trevor Linden the new Garth Snow?

(Obviously Garth Snow isn’t the new Garth Snow.)

No, he’s the new Cam Neely.

55. Bruce McCurdy says:

Pouzar: I like the Santorelli option if at possible. Right handed and plays both Center and Wing. Made $1.5 million last year and still out there so could be had for cheap me thinks.

The Santorelli option.

56. Truth says:

RexLibris: He’s going into his 4th year at Stanstead and was rumoured to have taken a greater role as a shutdown C on that team. His boxcars were virtually unchanged from the previous season, but this year he’ll be fairly closely watched, I think.

I feel like I’m missing an inside joke here. Mark Jankowski is the Flames prospect taken at 21st overall and goes to Providence College. David Jankowski (Mark’s brother) currently goes to Stanstead College and went undrafted this June. I think both are considered marginal prospects at this point.

57. Pastor of Disaster says:

If I’m Teddy Purcell, this summer excites me for two major reasons:

A) I’ll get to play plum minutes with some All-World talent come October, and
    B) Lowetide gave me the title track from the greatest album of all time in his RE series.

Not sure which is more exciting…

58. John Chambers says:

Pouzar: I’ll have to disagree with you here Rex. Bonino has the higher career PPG, last year he had the higher P/60 and a better Corsi with damn near the exact same usage as Sutter. Sutter is a FA after next year and Bonino is signed at $1.9 million for 2 years.

Bonino is a solid value contract, but Sutter is a nice addition for Van – actually makes the Kesler trade more palatable for them.

Rutherford gets to build bottom-6 depth. He’ll need a plethora of guys making under $2M to enable them to run Malkin-Crosby-Kessel, with Letang and Fleury occupying their own share of payroll space.

Rutherford ostensibly has to target low-cost players on their second contracts (Perron, Hornqvist) as well as discount free agents to compliment their core. The plan there also appears to rely on inexpensive youth on D (Maata, Pouliot) rather than expensive vets (Niskanen, Orpik, Martin).

Not sure if their strategy is wise, but that’s the look they’re going for.

59. GCW_69 says:

RexLibris: Which way?

Check out the Hero charts that Todd Cordell posted. Henderson included them in his blog on hockey buzz. The contrast is startling.

60. GCW_69 says:

Lowetide: My God that’s an awful trade.

Yep. Lovely, isn’t it?

61. Younger Oil says:

Mtl-oiler:
    Hypothetical situation.
    Do you still trade him?
    Do you gamble that you lose him for nothing at the end of the season?
    Do you try and resign him?

I think you trade him for high value and don’t look back.

If Purcell has those numbers at that point in the season I think it would be pretty clear that his linemates are carrying him, and whoever would get bumped into that spot would also produce well.

Pump and dump is definitely the best option for Purcell.

62. flyfish1168 says:

CofC:

Well put and well stated.

I have never seen a 1st overall treated so poorly in their ELC. All players of Yaks pedigree is drafted for their offence and not handicapped by pluggers and bottom 6 minutes. Nelson and Ralph used Yak properly and instilled confidence in him. If we use him with a lesser offensive centerman bottom 6 playing time and no PP and then call him a bust is that really fair. We didn’t do this to Hall with all his warts or RNH while they were learning on their ELC. JMHO

63. John Chambers says:

Bruce McCurdy: The Santorelli option.

I was a fan of Benoit Pouliot after his big year in Tampa. He signed with the Rangers for peanuts when he probably would’ve taken a 3 yr $4.5M deal anywhere. Santorelli seems to fit the same bill where he’s been getting a series of 1-year contracts, and it baffles me that someone doesn’t trade a bit of term, say 3 years, for a $3.6M contract that could deliver massive value.

Other players that have at one time fallen into this journeyman pattern are Dominic Moore, Chris Higgins, Lee Stempniak, and Brad Boyes. Even if a player signing a contract like that doesn’t work out, it’s an easy cap hit to buy out.

64. Pajamah says:

GCW_69: Yep.Lovely, isn’t it?

I love a good BoA, but I’m not happy with the smart moves Calgary has made. Going to need them to trade Giordano or have their youngsters ask for 7m plus in their next negotiations to blow that franchise up.

65. Jordan says:

LMHF#1: So what? Stanleys don’t care.

I really like Jordan Eberle, and would suggest that a 1RW+ is a decent return for a #1D.

I’m not denying a big part of the credit for Eberle should go to MacGregor & Co, but Kevin still got the pick.

Ignoring that biases the trade unfairly.

RE: Purcell & Yakupov

Hope they both go Nova on the wings. If Lander is who he showed at the world championships, I think that they both will do vary well, presuming that Purcell can keep up.

66. GCW_69 says:

Pajamah: It’s a great thing the Oilers are improving, and the future looks bright. It’s equally as exciting watching division rivals continuously shoot themselves in the foot.

Yes, Calgary is a concern. Need a little more Burke down there. Hamilton trade still bugs me.

67. Pouzar says:

Bruce McCurdy: The Santorelli option.

Nice!
    Been wanting the Oil to sign this guy since last offseason even when our Center depth was soooo awesome. A right handed shot who plays wing and offers insurance at Center. What’s not to like?

68. Pajamah says:

GCW_69: Yes, Calgary is a concern.Need a little more Burke down there.Hamilton trade still bugs me.

Needs more truculance

69. G Money says:

For my own amusement / edification, I’m taking an online course on Mathematical Decision Making, Predictive Modeling, and Optimization.

The prof’s name is Scott Stevens.

Which leaves me wondering which math courses Lidstrom, Pronger, Bourque, etc. will end up teaching, and if I can somehow predictively model that.

70. Ice Sage says:

Y’know – having a strong, close rival is an important ingredient in the Oilers’ maturity, competition makes us all better, etc. etc. Just as well, given that Vcr is tanking.

71. RexLibris says:

Truth,

Sorry, mis-typed. Should have read Providence rather than Stanstead. His boxcars are holding though and he still looks to me like a depth forward, shutdown guy from here.

Thanks for catching that.

72. RexLibris says:

G Money:

The prof’s name is Scott Stevens.

Cool.

I once took English 101 from Peter Mitchell, aka Maverick from Top Gun. Had “Danger Zone” running through my head the entire year.

73. RexLibris says:

So what I’m taking away from this thread so far is Bonino>Sutter, Rex<Reality.

74. G Money says:

RexLibris:
    So what I’m taking away from this thread so far is Bonino>Sutter, Rex<Reality.

Yes. But luckily working in your favour is that you’ve proven you can successfully navigate the use of the > and < signs in an HTML-aware text box. This is a rare and valuable skill, reality be damned!

75. Ducey says:

G Money: <P.The prof’s name is Scott Stevens..

Don’t come across the middle with your head down.

76. Numenius says:

Pittsburgh Penguins
    @penguins

Rutherford: “The analytics are very strong on both @NickBonino and @EricFehr in all the aspects of what we look for in analytics.”
    12:40 PM – 28 Jul 2015

The fingerprints of Sam Ventura are all over this.

77. Marc says:

Lowetide: If the Thames floods, London drowns.

As someone who lives beside the Thames in London, I’m definitely on the winning end of that deal.

78. stush18 says:

I think we’re all jumping ahead of calling Purcell too slow. He runs powerplay very well, and has a good vet savvy about him.

Part of his game is too slow the play down, use his body and reach to draw defenders, and then distribute the puck.

Know who that sounds like?

Joe Thornton. And he was a big part of mclallans offense If I remember. Obviously he’s not Thornton, but I think mclellan will have a use for him.

Marc: There’s actually a barrier in the Thames up at Woolwich now, so strictly speaking if the Thames floods, Kent and Essex drown.

Ah, good to know. And good for you!

80. Snowman says:

Nobody likes Kent anyways. (I’ve never been there but I do know a Kent and he’s an ass).

81. Melman says:

John Chambers,

I hear you, I think he would be a nice support add to the bottom 6. I wonder if maybe why he’s still available: he’s gone down 1 year at a time road enough that he’s confident he’ll get at least a 1 year deal in the $1M range somewhere, but is holding off hoping he can get a 2 or 3 year deal.

Still would have preferred Fehr.

82. JD¡™ David O'Connor's Reel says:

Smyth would like to get back into hockey, want’s to talk with Oilers. Also says he hasn’t talked to anyone about McDavid staying with him.

Bruce McCurdy: No, he’s the new Cam Neely.

Neely is the new Kevin Lowe.

Woodguy: Neely is the new Kevin Lowe.

They’re all the new Bert Olmstead.

85. Jordan says:

Lowetide: Bert Olmstead

They can’t be Bert, LT.

Bert recognized he wasn’t capable of leading the seals to victory, and went on to pursue other endeavours.

Neely, Lowe, Snow and others kept at it, with varying levels of success and failure.

Some of those men may be delusional about how well they’ve done, but Bert was crystal clear about where he was and what he could and couldn’t do.

Something history has yet to write about the rest.

Lowetide: They’re all the new Bert Olmstead.

I can only find Olmstead coaching, not running a team.

Seals?

Jordan,

Snow was never as bad as his reputation.

Lots of meddling and $ restraint by Wang gets laid at his feet.

He’s been very good for a while.

Mis-read the deadline market for scorers a couple years ago, but has been pretty solid.

88. RexLibris says:

G Money: Yes.But luckily working in your favour is that you’ve proven you can successfully navigate the use of the > and < signs in an HTML-aware text box.This is a rare and valuable skill, reality be damned!

Well nuts to y’all! I likes my realities and I’m a gonna keeps ’em how’s they is!

89. Ducey says:

Wow. Couturier $6M x 6 yrs.

Not bad for a guy who has never broken 40 points. Just imagine what the Nuge would be worth if he ever broke 50 pts.

90. czar says:

LT, enjoyed your interview with Scott Zerr this morning and was wondering if he was on twitter? I did a quick search but couldn’t find him, any info you could pass along? Thanks

Edit: Scott Zerr @scottmaxfight I blame my recent eye surgery and the 80’s.

91. commonfan14 says:

Ducey,

It’s $26 million over 6 years.

92. Bruce McCurdy says:

Lowetide: They’re all the new Bert Olmstead.

They’re all the new Bob Pulford.

93. leadfarmer says:

JD¡™ David O’Connor’s Reel,

Assistant coach of standing in front of the net and scoring goals of his a$$ ?

94. Ducey says:

commonfan14: Ducey, It’s $26 million over 6 years.

Ah, so it is. That makes a little more sense.

95. JD¡™ David O'Connor's Reel says:

leadfarmer,

Have they replaced the ‘eye in the sky’ coach position that Rocky was doing?

96. RexLibris says:

$4.3 million per is a good cap hit for Couturier.

97. JD¡™ David O'Connor's Reel says:

commonfan14:
    Ducey,

It’s $26 million over 6 years.

That’s a good contract, especially in light of some of the defenders they’ve signed in years past.

98. Ducey says:

JD¡™ David O’Connor’s Reel: leadfarmer, Director of Accidentally Tapping the Goalie’s Stick While Battling for Position. That has a nice ring to it, but really I would settle for anything. Have they replaced the ‘eye in the sky’ coach position that Rocky was doing?

Ian Herbers from the Bears was hired a few weeks back.

99. JD¡™ David O'Connor's Reel says:

Ducey: Ian Herbers from the Bears was hired a few weeks back.

Ah right – and he’s probably the better person for the position anyway. Experience – it’s a thing.

Woodguy: I can only find Olmstead coaching, not running a team.

Seals?

Yep He screwed up the expansion draft.

Bruce McCurdy: They’re all the new Bob Pulford.

….and Bruce wins the thread.

Lowe has graduated from being the new Bob Pulford to being the new King Clancy.

There is nothing new under the sun. It has all been done before.

103. matt says:

Yak=Magnus Paajarvi. Yes, I agree. Shit.