TRAINING CAMP HOPEFULS NO. 4: KYLE PLATZER

Kyle Platzer is my favorite player-type: wide range of skills, several ways to succeed. He’s shown enough to suggest he’ll be able to play on a skill line if he continues to develop—on the Oilers that would be in a complementary role—and there’s substantial evidence that he can be a depth forward at the pro level (we’ll wait and see on the NHL).

• Brock Otten, OHL Prospects (February 2015): Platzer has most definitely taken his game to the next level this year. He looks considerably stronger on the puck and it’s helped to give him more time to operate and use his high end vision/hockey sense to make plays. He’s also been more aggressive in playing in traffic and along the boards. He’ll end up doubling his own personal best in points. Source

The boxcar reflection of those words is obvious:

platzer three year trendThe progress of Platzer at evens this past season is impressive. As a comparable, Platzer’s .645 EV-per-game total is less than highly rated (and drafted in the vicinity) Nick Paul 58GP, 27-18-45 .775 EV-per-game but there’s an interesting player here.

• Kyle Platzer: “Some people need to work on their skill. My needs were definitely that physical maturity. I added some mobility to my workouts so I wasn’t just a big guy that couldn’t move. When you put on that much weight you still want to keep your speed.” Source

KYLE PLATZER BAKERSFIELD RE 15-16: 60GP, 14-20-34 .567

KYLE PLATZER RE 15-16: 1GP, 0-0-0

1. What role will he be playing in Bakersfield? Based on the Oilers’ own past, he’s probably going to get depth minutes at the start of the year, checker’s role. I imagine Platzer will see some power play time and possibly get a push when the callups come. I would not expect him to get 1line minutes at any time this year in Bakersfield.
  2. Where do you project him on the depth chart? Depending on if he plays center or wing, I can see him behind Draisaitl, Yakimov and in a fight with Khaira for a two-way role at center. I think RW depth chart probably goes Miller, Pakarinen, Matt Ford, Platzer or Chase and then guys like the Jones twins and those AHL/ECHL contracts. I do think there’s a job there for Platzer in the AHL next season, but it won’t be a top job.
  3. What has changed since his draft day? A lot. One of the reasons Marco Roy wasn’t signed (I’m sure) is the progress shown by Platzer (and Greg Chase). He’s a good prospect.
  4. What does Platzer need to work on? Strength (as mentioned above) and mobility (also mentioned above). He just needs to fly sorties and have success, we should be patient though there’s a lineup of prospects and he doesn’t have pedigree.
  5. What one thing will get Platzer to the NHL? Range of skills. He may end up as a (slightly) larger Mark Arcobello and that would be a fantastic success. Seriously.
  6. What will keep him out? He has no draft pedigree. He’ll earn everything he gets.
  • My comment on cut down day TC 2013: Kyle Platzer: In some ways, the most impressive player among today’s cuts. I have no idea what he is, and am not going to add to the confusion. He sure scored a lot for a guy no one talks about, though.
  • My comment on cut down day TC 2014: Kyle Platzer: AGAIN this TC he impresses more than a few other 2013’s. I’m going to like him more if he scores in the OHL this season.
  • Source for both

43 Responses to "TRAINING CAMP HOPEFULS NO. 4: KYLE PLATZER"

1. Klima's_Bucket says:

LT,
    At any time do you get sick of writing such great articles about long-shots that may fluke out a chance at an NHL career? You really have a knack for making all of us here root for the underdog.

2. Younger Oil says:

Platzer is the new Reider for me. A bit undersized, but can do absolutely anything on the ice, and always seems to find a way. I think he has scored a goal in every game I have seen him play. A true jack of all trades.

Four goals on the PK is also quite impressive.

Klima’s_Bucket:
    LT,

4. Klima's_Bucket says:

Great, cause I love reading about the long-shots.

5. spoiler says:

LT,

I see Miller hasn’t come up yet. Are hopefuls different than door-knockers or the-time-is-now-ers?

PItlick, Miller, maybe Hamilton etc, are in a different category?

spoiler:
    LT,

I see Miller hasn’t come up yet.Are hopefuls different than door-knockers or the-time-is-now-ers?

PItlick, Miller, maybe Hamilton etc, are in a different category?

Yes, they’re part of the everyday (morning) lineup

7. raventalon40 says:

Platzer is a personal favourite since draft day

8. spoiler says:

Platzer strikes me as a guy who has accomplished what he has more by employing his brain than by deploying his talent. He has decent hands so if he can skate well enough, I think he will have an actual career. I like this player too. Might be a Pisani-in-training.

9. spoiler says:

Is there a line in the sand? Apologies if you have already gone over this.

10. Drew says:

He kinda looks like a young Fernando… dare to dream!

Dammit I see spoiler beat me to it.

spoiler:

Is there a line in the sand?Apologies if you have already gone over this.

Yes. the line is 25 games.

12. spoiler says:

Ahh… I think. So Miller and Hamilton are coming in the Hopefuls category?

Drew:
    He kinda looks like a young Fernando… dare to dream!

THAT would be awesome

14. Stud Muffin says:

Thought Pak was a Lw

spoiler:

Ahh… I think. So Miller and Hamilton are coming in the Hopefuls category?

Yes. Kind of. 🙂

16. Bruce McCurdy says:

Lowetide: No, I love it. Some of my favorite players are come-from-a-long-way back types. When one turns out, it makes it all worthwhile.

Looking forward to the day that the Hajt kid breaks through.

17. JD¡™ David O'Connor's Reel says:

Betker, Platzer and Chase are probably the most intriguing long-shot prospects to me, based on draft rank.

18. JD¡™ David O'Connor's Reel says:

sidetrack:

Anyone ever seen one of these charts: http://i.imgur.com/4bp0SgS.png

That’s a lot of info in one snapshot.

19. Younger Oil says:

JD¡™ David O’Connor’s Reel:
    sidetrack:

Anyone ever seen one of these charts: http://i.imgur.com/4bp0SgS.png

That’s a lot of info in one snapshot.

Wow, Sutter looks even worse by that chart.

How does Sutter compare to Horvat?

20. oilersjo says:

Hello. I see everybody is looking for a new Pisani. I would like them to find Rem Murray Part 11

21. Snowman says:

Completely unrelated topic.

Hadn’t heard the Talking Heads before this years RE series. I’m hooked. I haven’t stopped listening to them since the Taylor Hall RE. What an unreal band. Not sure how I missed them because I love The Clash and the Smyths.

My sincere thanks to you LT.

22. stush18 says:

Question for LT, or anyone who remembers.

In 2013, macT traded down, and drafted a bunch of players from I believe two picks. Yak, slepy, platzer, houck I believe.

My question about the process that started it. I’ve heard he followed some sort of draft model? Parkatti or something, which I believe is a person. Basically the idea was that this model showed that there were numerous players available who were all more or less the same skill wise, if I remember correctly.

Any ideas on how he came about this, or how it worked? Was it based entirely off nhles or something similar?

Seems to me this year would have been perfect to follow this again, although I like our current option instead.

Snowman:
    Completely unrelated topic.

My sincere thanks to you LT.

Yeah, they’re insanely good and of course you’re welcome. Solo stuff very good too.

stush18:
    Question for LT, or anyone who remembers.

I assume that year (MacT talked about this) showed the difference between the no. 32 pick and the no. 80 pick was not high.

25. stush18 says:

Lowetide: Michael Parkatti (his blog is Boys on the Bus) is one of the people who was involved in the analytics dept for that draft. I had him on my show a few times and he talked about a ‘model’ that identified players who were good bets.

Perfect, thanks.

Would be interesting to get him to apply that model to this years draft. I really wanted to trade down and gather as many picks as possible in this draft, seems like it would have been a good idea, especially the way players slid.

26. Snowman says:

Do you have any recommendations for the solo stuff?

27. spoiler says:

JD¡™ David O’Connor’s Reel: Sidetrack

Don’t say that word… Still too soon.

28. Optimism is Foolish says:

just out of curiosity. There has been some debate around here about whether toi has impact on his development. Why would he play 3rd/4th line ahl minutes when we could have him playing top 6 minutes in the echl until he rips it up there and forces the issue?

29. Snowman says:

Optimism is Foolish,

If I had to guess I would say that development is dependent on playing an increasing role against competition that is at a similar or slightly higher level of skill than the player being developed. Sure he could play monster minutes in the ECHL but if he’s the best player in the league it doesn’t do him any good.

If he’s a middling player in the AHL than it comes down to proper player usage for development to occur. The coach now has to use him in a role that suits his current skill level. A player who is a 4th liner in the AHL could go down to the ECHL to find better competition. A player who is a 2/3 line in the AHL belongs in the AHL. A player who is a 1st liner in the AHL may be close to ready for a cup of coffee. A dominant AHL player is ready for the NHL.

That’s my opinion backed by absolutely nothing.

30. Optimism is Foolish says:

Snowman,

how large of a difference is the between the Ahl and the Echl? My assumption was that the E was tougher than junior and he has to play against full grown men there.

31. Snowman says:

Optimism is Foolish,

I don’t know for sure to tell you the truth. I imagine the jump from the ECHL to the AHL is somewhat similar in relative terms to the jump from the AHL to the NHL. In some ways the difference in skill might be bigger than the jump from the AHL to the NHL and the difference in the size of players is smaller. So I guess, the difference in skill is significant and difference in size and age is less so.

I would say the high end of junior talent is better than the high end of the ECHL. The players in the ECHL are a long shot to make the big leagues and most good prospects never see it. So while it might be men you are competing against, generally, they are not very good hockey players relative to the talent in the A or the top end of Junior.

If someone smarter than me wants to dispute this claim that is again based on nothing please feel free to do so. That’s my understanding of the way those leagues relate to each other and if I’m off base Optimism and I would love to be educated.

32. misfit says:

Yeah, Pisani is the dream, especially since he was a player who had instant chemistry with whoever he played with…every single one. It always seemed like the flavour of the day/darling of Oiler fans everywhere was a guy recently on a line with Fernando. I actually think Lander has a lot of that “instant chemistry” about him.

But to me, Platzer is following the Brodziak dvelopment curve. I could definitely see him storming onto the scene here in the next few years despite very little fanfare.

33. oliveoilers says:

Snowman:

Do you have any recommendations for the solo stuff?

Here’s some recent(ish) David Byrne:

34. Snowman says:

Thank you sir! and you too Olive

Such an eclectic musician. Its amazing how many genres of music that guy can fit into a song. Very cool. Also pretty impressive how the sounds have evolved over the years.

35. dangilitis says:

One of the bright spots of these last few years has been following LT’s prospect stories. It is fun when guys like Brossoit, Miller, Arcobello, etc. come up and impress and you’re not phased by it because you’ve been reading about them for a couple years. I remember LT’s stuff about Platzer on ON, and when he was traded to Owen Sound, the discussion about how he may pick it up with greater opportunity. Very happy to see his success thus far and hope it works out for him.

Still don’t get the Marco Roy decision. Especially if Hunt counts against the 50-man roster. Only thing I can think of is the injury history significantly affecting his productivity. The guy still scored 19 pts in 15 games in the playoffs as an 18 year old. He was also showing nicely in the Remparts’ playoffs until getting hit with another injury.

36. dangilitis says:

P.S. are you a Phish fan, LT? They have done some wicked cover work for Talking Heads – Cities, Crosseyed and Painless (the entire Remain in Light album was covered during Halloween 1996 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thUbCqYkDog). Given that you covered Allman Brothers Band, Phish would be a natural extension for a RE series – especially with all the characters from Gamehendge having theme songs.

37. Mr DeBakey says:

Snowman:

Do you have any recommendations for the solo stuff?

Byrne/Eno “My Life in the Bush of Ghosts”

38. stevezie says:

Can’t claim to know Byrne well but he recently did a great interview with Marc Maron on WTF for those interested and his record with St Vincent was real cool:

The interview:

39. maudite says:

Some amazing songs on that comp. Spoon’s one is my favourite.

40. "Steve Smith" says:

stevezie,

I have never forgiven St. Vincent for not having a backing band called “The Grenadines”.

41. oilswell says:

Snowman:
    Optimism is Foolish,

If he’s a middling player in the AHL than it comes down to proper player usage for development to occur.The coach now has to use him in a role that suits his current skill level. A player who is a 4th liner in the AHL could go down to the ECHL to find better competition. A player who is a 2/3 line in the AHL belongs in the AHL. A player who is a 1st liner in the AHL may be close to ready for a cup of coffee. A dominant AHL player is ready for the NHL.

That’s my opinion backed by absolutely nothing.

Well it aligns with all kinds of learning theory from the educational psych field, e.g. ZPD. That may comfort you, or may not, depending upon your view of Ed psych.

42. Bruce McCurdy says:

Mr DeBakey: Byrne/Eno“My Life in the Bush of Ghosts”

Fantastic disc. Recorded in 1981, still sounds like music from the future.