PROJECTING THE 2015 ROOKIE CAMP ROSTER

We’re into the mind numbing phase of summer, where “Chris Hajt—His Story” would be a welcome sight on the book shelves. NHL hockey hasn’t learned how to keep their brand viable from the NFL—yet—and we’re left to our own devices. There are things worth noting at this time of year and of course it’s fun to project how things will look a month from now. What will we be talking about one month from now? Oh, probably Oscar Klefbom’s new deal, maybe an exciting training camp invite and of course Connor McDavid.

13 MONTHS AGO!

We were rambling on about rookie camp on September 8, 2014. Proof is here and here. There are small pockets of information that come available (Jordan Papirny told Guy Flaming last Saturday morning that he will attend Oilers camp, Loik Leveille and Tyler Soy may or may not be included on the list) and we can use the brains God gave us to estimate most of the rest.

• Goalies: Laurent Brossoit, Eetu Laurikainen, KevEN Bouchard, Jordan Papirney (via Flaming’s Pipeline show).
  • Defense: Darnell Nurse, Griffin Reinhart, Dillon Simpson, Martin Gernat, Joey Laleggia, Ben Betker, Caleb Jones, Ethan Bear, possibly Loik Leveille.
  • Center: Connor McDavid, Leon Draisaitl, Bogdan Yakimov, Juhar Khaira, Alexis Loiseau, possibly Tyler Soy.
  • Left Wing: Mitch Moroz, Kale Kessy, Josh Winquist, Connor Rankin, Braden Christopher, possibly Vladimir Tkachev.
  • Right Wing: Anton Slepyshev, Greg Chase, Kyle Platzer, possibly John McCarron.

ROOKIE CAMP 2010 FALL ROSTER

• GOAL: Olivier Roy, Tyler Bunz, Bryan Pitton
  • DEFENSE: Jeff Petry, Johan Motin, Alex Plante, Jordan Bendfeld, Brandon Davidson, Jeremie Blain, Martin Marincin, Dominik Schlumpf, Nolan Toigo, Dallas Ehrhardt
  • CENTER: Chris VandeVelde, Tyler Pitlick, Ryan Martindale, Milan Kytnar, Chase Schaber
  • LEFT WING: Taylor Hall, Magnus Paajarvi, Phil Cornet, Kristians Pelss, Drew Czerwonka, Curtis Hamilton
  • RIGHT WING: Jordan Eberle, Teemu Hartikainen, Cameron Abney, Mike Thomas, James Livingston

ROOKIE CAMP 2011 FALL ROSTER

• GOAL: Olivier Roy, Tyler Bunz, Adam Brown
  • DEFENSE: Colten Teubert, Taylor Fedun, Martin Marincin, Jeremie Blain, Brandon Davidson, David Musil, Martin Gernat, Ryan Lowery, Tyler Schmidt, Wes Vannieuwenhuizen
  • CENTER: Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, Anton Lander, Milan Kytnar, Ryan Martindale, Travis Ewanyk, Chase Schaber, Colin Smith
  • LEFT WING: Curtis Hamilton, Antti Tyrvainen, Phil Cornet, Drew Czerwonka, Tobias Rieder, Brett Ferguson
  • RIGHT WING: Tyler Pitlick, Kristians Pelss, Toni Rajala, Cameron Abney

ROOKIE CAMP 2013 FALL ROSTER

• GOAL: Tyler Bunz, Ty Rimmer, Franky Palazzese, Philippe Cadorette
  • DEFENSE: Martin Marincin, Brandon Davidson, Oscar Klefbom, David Musil, Martin Gernat, Joey Leach, Darnell Nurse, Ben Betker
  • CENTER: Andrew Miller, Travis Ewanyk, Greg Chase, Reid Petryk, Chase Schaber
  • LEFT WING: Jujhar Khaira, Mitchell Moroz, Kale Kessy, Austin Fyten, Brandon Baddock
  • RIGHT WING: Marco Roy, Jackson Houck, Kyle Platzer, Cameron Abney, Ty Bilcke

ROOKIE CAMP 2014 FALL ROSTER

• GOAL: Laurent Brossoit, Ty Rimmer, Frans Tuohimaa, KevEN Bouchard
  • DEFENSE: Darnell Nurse, David Musil, Martin Gernat, Dillon Simpson, Graeme Craig, C.J. Ludwig, Jordan Oesterle, Connor Boland, Ben Betker
  • CENTER: Leon Draisaitl, Bogdan Yakimov, Jujhar Khaira, Travis Ewanyk, Kyle Platzer, Connor Jones
  • LEFT WING: Josh Winquist, Alex Krushelnyski, Mitch Moroz, Kale Kessy, Vladimir Tkachev, Kellen Jones
  • RIGHT WING: Marco Roy, Mitch Holmberg, Greg Chase, Jackson Houck

54 Responses to "PROJECTING THE 2015 ROOKIE CAMP ROSTER"

1. sliderule says:

Caleb Jones made the 32 player cut for USA at their tryout camp.

John Marino traded by the Chicago Steel to Tri-City Storm:

I’m glad, Hesketh played for the Chicago Steel and it didn’t work out.

3. Pretendergast says:

Source?

sliderule:
    Caleb Jones made the 32 player cut for USA at their tryout camp.

Also i love the year over year improvement, this year will have impact prospects at every position, with some depth sprinkled in.

That centre core could be borderline NHL calibre, let alone rookie camp. Lordy

4. Bad Seed says:

John Marino traded by the Chicago Steel to Tri-City Storm:

I’m glad, Hesketh played for the Chicago Steel and it didn’t work out.

I knew it wasn’t Hesketh’s fault he didn’t make it! Damn the Chicago Steel!

5. thegabe says:

According to this blog:

Someone named Colton Waltz (Brandon) is also attending our camp.

From HF originally, but thought I would add to the group instead of lurking 😉

6. square_wheels says:

sliderule,

We made some nice bets in this years draft, but the camp roster looks as good as any in the past decade. I would like to see more skill on the left side though.

7. Really? says:

Just read that Patrick Kane seems to be in deep trouble over his behaviour once again. This one, if accurate, may be very difficult for him to dodge jail time on. Could this jeopardize his new contract?
    Combine this with the rumors regarding the apparent infidelities of Patrick Sharp involving teammates’ wives/girlfriends and others over the past season, and the Hawk dressing room takes on a pretty vile odor.

8. Soup Fascist says:

Sharp and Keith addressed those rumours and I think proved they were gossip. I think the room is / was fine. Certainly not keeping them from winning.

Either way, not a good day.

Really?:
    Combine this withthe rumors regarding the apparent infidelities of Patrick Sharp involving teammates’ wives/girlfriends and others over the past season, and the Hawk dressing room takes on a pretty vile odor.

9. Rip Fan Winkle says:

There were some comments in the last thread which I couldn’t read in time to respond to so I’ll post them here:

godot10: Punk music was a revolt against the cold unfeeling technicians of seventies “rock” music.Rock had lost the roll.Punk brought it back.

The Talking Heads were regulars at CBGB’s, the cradle of punk.

Me: Punk, like Rap is a social statement, a social reaction to economic reality and economic philosophy. It’s not a stylistic musical rebuttal.

(Quote) (Reply)

10. Chris Hext---formerly EasyOil--- says:

Apologies to spam the blog LT, particularly as I don’t frequent as often as I used to! However, one of the writers at my own blog had an interesting interview with the COO of the Champions Hockey League in Europe, it’s quite an insightful view of Euro hockey (including its relationship with the KHL).

Also off topic, but given the number of Talking Heads tunes in use in the RE series this year, thought some might enjoy the below rendition of Psycho Killer by Norwegian rock group Span. They broke up years ago, and the lead singer Jarle Bernhoft is now an acoustic soul/pop singer doing very well for himself (he’s brilliant, if you’re into that kind of thing). Of course, the die-hard Talking Heads fans will probably hate their version, it certainly is somewhat more menacing than the original (imo), but I like it.

*EDIT – Posted the wrong link to the blog, now corrected, sorry!

11. flyfish1168 says:

John Marino traded by the Chicago Steel to Tri-City Storm:

I’m glad, Hesketh played for the Chicago Steel and it didn’t work out.

If Marino develops into a bonafide player I wonder if he will sign with the Oilers. I have become apprehensive with college players. NHL if they have not looked into these type of players should start. Almost seems unfair to the teams that drafts them.

12. RexLibris says:

Anyone know the NHL/AHL eligibility criteria for the Penticton tournament?

I’m wondering if players like Bennett and Draisaitl whose ELC was initiated last season are still eligible or whether there is a gp differentiation between the two.

13. RexLibris says:

Off topic, but I’m liking the trend the Eskimos are setting going into the half.

Patient, balanced. Need to bring the run game next half, but they are firmly in control.

RexLibris:
    Anyone know the NHL/AHL eligibility criteria for the Penticton tournament?

15. flyfish1168 says:

RexLibris:

Good game. Excellent execution by offense. Go Esks.

16. RexLibris says:

Lowetide: I don’t think there’s a rule that impacts rookie camps. Gernat for instance had a full pro season in 2013-14 and was at last fall’s camp.

Reason I’m wondering is whether Draisaitl will be able to participate.

Bennett I can understand, but I’d argue players who have registered 40+ NHL games played should no longer qualify, otherwise the Oilers could send Klefbom to the tournament.

17. RexLibris says:

flyfish1168: Good game. Excellent execution by offense. Go Esks.

Agreed.

Now if they could stop dropping good catches they’d really be on track.

Man that defense. I remember watching the Esks pound the living snot out of Danny Barrett way back when and I fell in love with how a defense can work.

McManus was the QB and I can still make myself laugh by recalling his running gait. Most awkward run by an athlete I think I’ve ever witnessed. It was like he was wearing Ronald McDonald’s shoes out on the field.

18. RexLibris says:

dammit.

#defence

RexLibris: I’d thought the Canucks, Flames, Oilers and Jets had set parameters for players who could participate in the Youngstars tourney.

Reason I’m wondering is whether Draisaitl will be able to participate.

20. RexLibris says:

Lowetide: Leon isn’t yet 20, I’d say any rule that keeps him from the rookie tournament is a terrible rule. But I do see your point and if that’s what is agreed to (I wonder if that’s out there anywhere?) then he wouldn’t be on the roster.

I go back to when Logan Couture won the Calder. He was the oldest eligible by a few years (not quite Makarov-old…) and how many felt it wasn’t the best representation of the race.

I’d like to see Draisaitl there if only because I want to see he and Bennett go head-to-head.

and for Draisaitl to eat Bennett’s lunch.

21. RexLibris says:

Calvin McCarty may be the new Eskimos receiver’s coach, or at least their new “how to catch a ball” coach.

22. RexLibris says:

Much improved Lions’ defense here, need to see some adjustments on the next series.

23. RexLibris says:

Insider tip to Coach Jones – Lions are going to Harris this half. A lot.

Shhh, don’t tell anyone.

24. Pajamah says:

RexLibris:

I could do that if you surgically removed my hips and replaced them with elastic bands like the 90s style GI Joe toys.

Actually, scratch that, there is no universe in which I can make that catch.

25. RexLibris says:

Dunigan using a Ben Hur reference in an Eskimos game.

That’s why he has a colour job.

26. RexLibris says:

On downs.

Eskimos…you are KILLING me tonight.

Could have run a 9pt lead ending out the 3rd quarter.

Argh!

27. RexLibris says:

Sherrit.

Go sit next to McCarty.

On another note, reading WoI hextally and trying to determine the rel sh% grid for goalies.

So blue is good, red is bad, correct?

28. Soup Fascist says:

I don’t want to hurt Nichol’s feelings or anything but this offence has been putrid the 2nd half. At the risk of ruffling his feathers I would make a change.

Tough to win scoring ZERO points in the 2nd half.

Feel free to throw the ball more than 5 yards.

29. RexLibris says:

Soup Fascist:
    I don’t want to hurt Nichol’s feelings or anything but this offence has been putrid the 2nd half.At the risk of ruffling his feathers I would make a change.

Tough to win scoring ZERO points in the 2nd half.

Feel free to throw the ball more than 5 yards.

BC must be taking away all his options.

Need to change the play call, in my opinion.

I don’t think Franklin or Lynch would be well-suited to this kind of game right now.

and that was NOT a late hit, he committed before Lulay released the ball.

Grrrr!

30. Soup Fascist says:

RexLibris,

Offence 2 and out every drive is taking its toll on the D. Need to do something.

You are right. That was not roughing the passer. Bunch of princesses.

31. Soup Fascist says:

Maybe the Esks can put in McDavid at QB.

32. RexLibris says:

Soup Fascist,

I don’t mind the short-yardage passes. Kent Austin used to murder us on those years ago. Quick shots across the middle before a D had time to adjust and you only need 5 to 7 yard gains over and over to eat up yards and time.

They need to re-impose the run, but more they are also down 3 starting receivers (if my count is right) so it is taking away some of their options.

If this one goes two-and-out then I think you need to change the QB or get REALLY creative.

And there we go. Another 2-out.

33. RexLibris says:

Soup Fascist:
    Maybe the Esks can put in McDavid at QB.

He could hail mary to himself.

All while providing solid protection at the line.

34. RexLibris says:

I’ve never been really sold on Nichols, but have given him the benefit of the doubt in only working backup duty and not having a chance to get into a ready starter’s rhythm.

He reads plays well, but doesn’t seem to have enough tools to execute a complete plan of attack.

35. RexLibris says:

Nice catch by Grymes.

He’s had a good game so far.

Big big two minutes here. Eskimos defense makes me comfortable.

37. Soup Fascist says:

Fair enough. I just thought his comments 2 weeks ago were selfish. I am afraid Jones is more worried about a potential QB controversy than winning the damn game.

McAdoo looks like a deer in the headlights too.

Not feeling great about this.

38. RexLibris says:

And I thought the Oilers were bad for my blood pressure.

39. RexLibris says:

So.

Mad.

Right.

Now.

Gonna try breathing through my eyelids and see if that helps.

40. Soup Fascist says:

Big big two minutes here. Eskimos defense makes me comfortable.

??? Might as well have said “no hitter” to the pitcher with 2 out in the bottom of the 9th. This is on YOU LT. LOL

41. RexLibris says:

So how does that 3rd down gamble look right now?

Add three points to 26 and we’d have a tie game.

I like aggression, Jones, but there’s a time.

42. RexLibris says:

I wonder, is Pat Sajak reffing this game?

Just curious because I think BC has bought a penalty call or two.

43. wheatnoil says:

Soup Fascist: Kane’s alleged issues are a whole other kettle of fish. You would like to think that 1) no man would be involved in what is alleged and 2) no one would falsely accuse someone of an attack such as that. But both situations have sadly occurred in the past. Just have to let things play out and hope the truth comes out – whatever it is.

I know nothing beyond what is reported and try not to jump to conclusions before the facts present, but it is worth noting that one of those situations is exceedingly more common than the other.

Fuck.

45. RexLibris says:

Yep.

Not enough liquor in the world right now.

Soup Fascist: ???Might as well have said “no hitter” to the pitcher with 2 out in the bottom of the 9th. This is on YOU LT.LOL

It’s a gift.

47. Soup Fascist says:

When did Dallas Eakins get hired as the Eskimos head coach?

48. geowal says:

Well…that was not smart

49. Soup Fascist says:

wheatnoil,

Sadly, no argument.

50. RexLibris says:

Fuck.

I second this.

We’ll take it to a vote.

All in favour say “aye”

AYE!

Motion passes.

Please let the minutes show we have declared “fuck”.

51. Soup Fascist says:

Lowetide: It’s a gift.

….. And a curse.

52. RexLibris says:

Read the Kane story on TSN.

“Alleged” is a very tricky word.

I wonder if Bowman doesn’t wish he’d traded Kane instead of Sharp and Saad.

His team might suffer but his ulcer would improve.

53. Jordan Papirny - Stocking The Cupboard - The Oilers Rig - The Oilers Rig says:

[…] One of my daily traditions is reading Lowetide’s blog, and on Friday morning of last week, he dropped a small note in his post about projecting the upcoming rookie roster, which you can read here. […]