MARCO POLO (ROY NOT POULIOT)

A happy day for those of us (probably me, his parents and Michael Parkatti) who wondered aloud about Marco Roy not signing an NHL deal with Edmonton. The second-round selection from 2013 didn’t get a contract, while multiple later Oilers picks from the same year did get a deal. It looks like Edmonton got their man via an AHL deal.

He played in the Memorial Cup this spring and brings a nice range of skills. Roy is a center (47.6%, 50% at home) with two-way ability and some grit. 23 even-strength goals, a 17.4% shooting percentage on 149 shots (2.52 per game). His 23 EV goals trailed only Adam Erne (who has 27) on the Remparts; 23 is a strong total—Ivan Barbashev had 30 this past season.

A lot of verbal about Roy (that I heard) after the Oilers decided not to sign him surrounded lack of offensive progress. I have argued that he did in fact progress, but usage made a large difference in terms of the boxcars. Let’s look at his numbers by discipline, with special emphasis on the even-strength numbers.

roy's totalsRoy played on a very strong Quebec Remparts team in 2014-15 and the numbers at even strength may have been partly due to quality of linemates. Having said that, there is progress here and Roy has the reputation for being a more complete player type. I’m glad they signed him (or are about to sign him) and hope he gets an opportunity in the organization this coming season.

• Red Line on Draft Day: While thought of as a grinder who brings passion and intensity to each shift (which is accurate), that is short-changing his skill level. Good skater with speed and balance, and accelerates well. Wins a lot of races for loose pucks and is always 1st into corners. Works his bag off every shift and comes back hard on the backcheck. He’s an absolute buzzsaw with a motor that never quits. If his team loses the puck, he wants to go and get it back immediately. Stays in constant motion in the offensive zone, making him very difficult to check or contain. Soft hands for both giving and receiving passes. Gets shots away quickly around the slot and shows good accuracy. Competes like a bastard and always has his head in the game. Rugged and persistent on the forecheck. Reliable player at both ends who is continually improving. Also 6’1″ with a nice frame to fill out.

BAKERSFIELD CONDORS, 2015-16 (THE POSSIBLES)

1. G Laurent Brossoit. Into the final year of his entry-level contact, he’s likely to be No. 1 in Bakersfield.
  2. G Anders Nilsson. God I’d love to see this kind of depth in the AHL.
  3. G Eetu Laurikainen.  I really hope he gets playing time, that shortened AHL schedule is a bit of an issue.
  4. G Ty Rimmer. He’s the depth G once again but goalies are voodoo and he has talent.
  5. D Brandon Davidson. He is a quality AHL player and may in fact be an NHL calibre defenseman. Todd McLellan won’t have much time to evaluate him.
  6. D Darnell Nurse. I’m not sure he plays in Bakersfield, we’ll see how the summer rolls. Nurse played in the AHL playoffs this past spring and the verbal was very positive. I just can’t see him playing a lot in the minors.
  7. D Griffin Reinhart. One of two defensemen who may have to wait for their NHL careers to start because of the plethora of fringe veterans who have one-way deals. Look for Chiarelli to clean up the mess late training camp or early in the season. When he does, Reinhart will be in the NHL.
  8. D Brad Hunt. Impact offensive defender in the minors, he’s going to have a helluva time getting back to the NHL unless McLellan finds a way to use his PP prowess at the NHL level. It isn’t an impossible idea.
  9. D David Musil. He’s finding a way to get into the conversation and that’s something. I think his outer marker (once the young blue are established) might be 6-7D but that might be a role he can cover with aplomb.
  10. D Jordan Oesterle. Speedy defender who was mentioned as a possible NHLer in the future by Rodgers. I have to say he impressed me with his mobility but I don’t know if he can play defense.
  11. D Dillon Simpson. I was encouraged by Rodgers’ words, because for me this is a guy who has progressed a great deal since draft day. His EV GF-GA ON number in OKC was pretty damn good for a rookie and I look forward to seeing his progress in the coming season.
  12. D Martin Gernat. Literally no idea where he is as an Oilers prospect, can only say his progress in junior was substantial.
  13. D Ben Betker. Big and has speed, a fun combination. He’s raw, so there’s every chance Betker plays some in the ECHL (I’d count on it) but this is a very nice giant on skates, as prospects go.
  14. D Joey Laleggia. Highly skilled defender whose offense in the NCAA is so good one almost doesn’t trust it (maybe they’re using juiced pucks in Denver!). Either way he’ll get a big opportunity to show his stuff and if those boxcars are legit Edmonton will have to find a way to make room. I suspect he’ll be dizzying in a MacLellan power play.
  15. D Nick Pageau. Veteran had an impressive run with the Barons, he’s on an AHL deal and could spend much of the season in the ECHL. I can see why they signed him, he appears to be a significant safety net.
  16. C Leon Draisiatl. I think he does in fact play in the AHL, for about half the season. Leon’s skills are fabulous and I have no doubt he’s going to be a very good NHL player. Edmonton is likely to be more experienced with McLellan up the middle, meaning McDavid gets the rookie C job early and Draisaitl (no longer a rookie) is recalled later in the season. A wild card option? He makes the big club out of camp on RW, although that has significant impact on Yakupov.
  17. C Bogdan Yakimov. I’m feeling very good about the C depth chart, especially after the last three drafts. There was a time when the Nuge appeared to be a stone alone but the troops are arriving.
  18. C Phil McRae. AHL veteran will serve in the role Jason Williams occupied last season. He’s a different player in terms of style, the Condors are going to be a bitch to play against in 2015-16.
  19. C Jujhar Khaira. Man, this guy had a tough time getting skill minutes a year ago, it’s going to be extremely tough for him to shine during the rest of his entry-level deal. One thing going for him? He’s a load, people. If he could speed up that bat, Khaira would have a career, no doubt in my mind.
  20. C Kyle Platzer Fine two-way resume and he blossomed offensively after being drafted. A little under the radar as he turns pro, the range of skills from Platzer makes him an option up and down the order.
  21. C Alexis Loiseau. Signed to an AHL deal, he may be this year’s Josh Winquist. He’s 21, 6.01, 180, he scored 96 points in 68 QMJHL games. Highly skilled, it’s a wonder these kids with the mammoth boxcars don’t get drafted.
  22. C Marco Roy. Range of skills, still surprised they didn’t sign him but am hopeful Roy gets a chance in the AHL this coming season. Should be a useful pro at evens and on the power play.
  23. L Ryan Hamilton. Veteran winger is going to receive lots of playing time and should once again provide leadership and serve as a mentor to the young forwards. If he had better speed, Hamilton would have had a more substantial NHL career imo.
  24. L Anton Slepyshev. One of the big names who will be heading to Oilers camp, Slepyshev should get every chance to impact the Bakersfield offense this coming season. One hopes the club doesn’t ease him into the lineup, he’s been in the KHL for some time so we should see a short adjustment period.
  25. L Josh Winquist. I’m pulling for this guy in a big way because he has legit talent. If you’re looking for someone to climb the depth chart and to grab an NHL contract in 2015-16, this fellow is it. The Oilers made a mistake in signing him to only an AHL deal.
  26. L Kale Kessy. His skating really improved and I think he’s going to get a real chance to show his stuff in training camp. McLellan uses these player types and the depth chart isn’t exactly drunk with Kessy’s.
  27. L Mitch Moroz. He’s in a much better spot than last year, when he was coming off a difficult injury and a summer that left him behind in terms of training. It’s going to be a very important year.
  28. L Connor Rankin. Bakersfield signing, scored 32 in the WHL. Decent size, he might have to earn his way to the Condors via the ECHL (that’s probably true for all of these undrafted fellows).
  29. L Braden Christoffer. Tough winger with skill, 5.10. He’s a unique skill set so will be one to watch this fall. More offense than one might expect (59 points a year ago).
  30. R Andrew Miller. I think he gets a real shot at the NHL this coming season, but it probably comes later as opposed to early. Why? These Oilers have far more depth and competition than Arcobello faced when he was pushing.
  31. R Iiro Pakarinen. Man I love his future with this organization. Todd McLellan is going to send him over the boards and by the end of the first shift he’ll have found a forechecker.
  32. R Matt Ford. He played 3R last season quite a bit, may end up playing higher on the depth chart if Miller and or Pakarinen punch their tickets (I have both playing a substantial amount in the NHL).
  33. R Greg Chase. With due respect to the Russian, this is the fellow I’m looking forward to seeing. Chase’s rugged game should fit better at the pro level than it did in junior and if he can bring some offense with him from his WHL days he could have an NHL career.

HONESTLY! (NHLE’S)

16. F Kellen Jones 82GP, 4-7-11
  17. L Aidan Muir 82GP, 4-6-10
  18. C Jujhar Khaira 82GP, 4-5-9
  19. C Connor Jones 82GP, 4-5-9
  20. R John McCarron 82GP, 3-5-8*
  21. L Mitch Moroz 82GP, 3-3-6

I’d say Roy and Winquist are in fact more valuable prospects than several men on this list. Players on AHL contracts underlined and in bold (John McCarron is unsigned, thus the asterisk).

28 Responses to "MARCO POLO (ROY NOT POULIOT)"

1. Pouzar says:

I read the tweet and my first thought was “another goalie?”

Like it.

2. jonrmcleod says:

Pouzar,

I also first thought it was Roy the goalie (not Patrick ).

3. Hammers says:

For me I want to see more of Platzer and Miller. Somehow I see these two making the NHL not necessarily with the Oilers .

4. RexLibris says:

Nice to hear.

Kind of sewers the value on that 2013 2nd rounder, but nevertheless, today is a good day for Roy and his fans/followers, myself included.

Just checked the rest of that draft and I see Duclair went in the 3rd round to the Rangers while Cole Cassels (somebody around here kept bringing his name up during the Memorial Cup, can’t recall who though…) went a few spots later to the Canucks.

Outside of Jacob De La Rose (MTL 33gp, 4-2-6), not a single 2nd rounder from that draft has played an NHL game as yet. Early days but that is interesting for a draft that was so highly thought-of at the time (“best draft since 2003”).

5. Pouzar says:

Sidebar: Anyone see the Nurse pic on twitter? Kid’s got da guns now.
    Man I thought Ewanyk was a kid in that pic.

Anyways…Damn Bakersfield is going to be awesome to watch this year.

6. Pouzar says:

jonrmcleod:
    Pouzar,

I also first thought it was Roy the goalie (not Patrick ).

It’s the offseason for us too 😛

7. JD¡™ David O'Connor's Reel says:

Another good move. Another good move? Another good move!

8. The Hermit says:

I’m gonna go get the papers, get the papers.

9. bendelson says:

JD¡™ David O’Connor’s Reel:
    Another good move. Another good move? Another good move!

It still feels a little strange doesn’t it?

10. Ca$h-McMoney! says:

This was always the course that made the most sense. While he’s an intriguing player his numbers in his draft +2 season didn’t warrant a place on the 50 man list. I understand that we have given contracts to worse bets, but past mistakes as a justification for future mistakes isn’t the way forward.

If he thrives in the ECHL, and pushes his way up the AHL depth chart, he’ll be worth an NHL deal next season. This way we have a year or two to see what he’s made of without clogging up the 50 man on a 3 year deal.

I like it.

11. flyfish1168 says:

Watched the memorial cup and went away thinking this guys is the type of tireless worker we need. Reminds of Versteg and Shaw a pest that you can’t get rid of on the forecheck.

Just his skating ability makes a better prospect and if he can except being a bottom 6 player type believe he may have a future. JMHO

12. wheatnoil says:

On one hand, Roy may have been dinged for being a bit buried on a stacked team. As LT points out, he wasn’t getting a PP push and his estimated TOI was low. However, the other side to that is that, as a skilled over-age forward, why wasn’t he getting prime minutes at evens and on the PP? Why did his coach feel he had better options? Regardless of team quality, it’s not an up arrow if you’re an over-age skilled forward on your junior team and still not being used in a key scoring role.

That said, I liked the pick on draft day and cheer for him. I remember his first rookie tournament when he was one of the lone bright points at forward for the Oilers. 2013 was not a good forward prospect year and Roy was one of the few Oilers in that tournament that seemed to have true offensive ability.

Also, being on an AHL contract, he’s suddenly no longer a 2nd round pick and is now an under-dog, which means I can’t help but root for him!

13. wheatnoil says:

wheatnoil,

Hmmm… on further investigation, Roy’s eTOI was not that low. Not sure why I thought that was the case. He appears to be 2nd on the team in even-strength TOI. Though, according to chlstats.com, he ranks 6th on his team in even-strength points/game behind Timashov, Erne, Etchegary, Tkachev, and Duclair. Some good names in there, but you’d expect Roy to be ahead of a couple of those names.

14. Bootstrap Effexor says:

Apropos of nothing at all, a man walked into my favourite coffee shop this morning who was simply too good for central casting.

I quickly jotted down a short-form description:

Caber-eared, Mossadim mountain elf from Highlander Middle Earth (this being a brawny, tawny-tufted, no-nonsense elvish sect that split off in the great Curling Iron Ringlet Rift of 1065.9).

You just don’t see one of those every day.

15. Ryan says:

RexLibris:

You mean DSF?

16. flyfish1168 says:

Ryan: You mean DSF?

Where is DSF? Is he on holidays?

flyfish1168: Where is DSF? Is he on holidays?

He exited the blog during the last blow up.

18. B S says:

I like this move. I liked the pick when it was made and I’d make similar draft bets again, but this one didn’t seem to work out. Roy is a real long shot to make it (small player with declining offense and under 1 ppg last season) so I wouldn’t sign him to an ELC, but an AHL contract to keep him in the system is a fair bet. It won’t surprise me if he ends up ripping up the ECHL most of this season before getting called up to the farm.

With all due respect LT I know you got attached to this one, but there is nothing in his last season that says “put him on the 50 man.” He declined offensively the last 3 seasons (I’m not saying it wasn’t injury or usage related but a decline is still a decline for a player who should be tearing it up among kids) and his last Junior season he posted worse stats than Moroz (at a more difficult position, but he doesn’t have the same physical presence or size). I don’t know how you say Roy is a 2 way player, while insisting that Moroz is nothing more than a facepuncher under those circumstances.

B S:

I have never said Moroz is merely a face puncher, you must be thinking of another blog.

20. B S says:

ah, perhaps I was being overly blunt. You’ve said several times that he is Gazdic’s competition. While Marco Roy is in the hunt for a 3rd line 2-way position (eventually, possibly). At this stage I don’t see a heck of a lot separating them except Moroz has an ELC and one really lack-luster Pro season so far. Both players have shown offensive and defensive ability in Junior despite very different playing styles.

As I see it they (and most of the other forward prospects in the system) are really competing for third line winger positions in the long run. Physical 2-way ability is what is needed, and anything else (fighting, agitating) is just icing.

4th liners can be picked up on wavers or for late round picks, or from big draft picks with solid defensive skills but too little offense to make the top 9. You don’t draft players to compete for those positions/you shouldn’t, but that doesn’t keep teams from trying.

B S:

I think the job Roy will apply for (2-way C, checker, PK guy, hopefully he develops as a faceoff man) IS in fact different than Moroz job (tough, physical winger who can play a regular shift). I mentioned Gazdic and Kessy, but could easily have thrown in Klinkhammer, Hendricks and others. I don’t think either is applying for a top 6F role, at least not based on what we know so far.

22. vishcosity says:

Marco Pouliot, or whatever the fuck your name is, apparently you will always have a place on this blog.

23. Pouzar says:

vishcosity:

Last year without Sid he was hot garbage!

24. frjohnk says:

Ryan:
    Thirsty?Try some Kool-Aid!!

“Bottom line: The Oilers probably have more talent at forward than any team in the cap era ever has.”

“The question shouldn’t be “will they make the Playoffs next seasons,” because that is a certainty. The question is “how long before they win the Cup?” I don’t think it will be next season, but if the over/under is three seasons from now, I’ll take the under.”

What ever that guy is drinking, I’ll have some.

25. Bruce McCurdy says:

frjohnk: From the article “I think Klefbom and Nurse will both be considered top-pairing star defenseman by the end of the season.”

“The question shouldn’t be “will they make the Playoffs next seasons,” because that is a certainty. The question is “how long before they win the Cup?”I don’t think it will be next season, but if the over/under is three seasons from now, I’ll take the under.”

What ever that guy is drinking, I’ll have some.

I’m glad we’re going to win the Cup within three seasons, because after that McDavid is going to Toronto. As per the Toronto correspondent of this same website.

Before I pile on the abuse, I always stop to wonder how old are the kids who are writing some of this stuff?

26. doritogrande says:

Sooooo do we have to give back the pick we got as compensation for not signing him now that we’ve signed him? Wasn’t that the McLellan compensation?