RE 15-16 OSCAR KLEFBOM: TEMPTATION

Oscar Klefbom is a winner. Everything about him screams success, implying a long and productive career on a good-to-great hockey teams. Awards? Maybe that’s a stretch, but national teams and big minutes? Oh yeah. Oscar Klefbom may have less than 100 games in the NHL but he’s bona fide. Please let this be the last young man the Oilers are forced to thrust into a feature role because he’s their best hope to avoid hitting the ground.

OSCAR KLEFBOM 13-14

• 5×5 points per 60: 0.74 (4th among D)
  • 5×4 points per 60: nil
  • Qual Comp: 4th toughest among D
  • Qual Team: worst available among D
  • Corsi for 5×5 %: 44.3
  • Corsi for 5×5 % REL: +1.0
  • Zone Start: 35.1% (toughest among D)
  • Zone Finish: 43.7% (2nd best among D)
  • Shots on goal/percentage: 14 shots/7.1% (3rd among D>10 shots)
  • Boxcars: 17, 1-2-3

OSCAR KLEFBOM 14-15

• 5×5 points per 60: 0.90 (1st among regular D)
  • 5×4 points per 60: 4.71 (1st among regular D)
  • Qual Comp: 5th toughest among D
  • Qual Team: best available among D
  • Corsi for 5×5 %: 49.9
  • Corsi for 5×5 % REL: 9.4
  • Zone Start: 58.0%
  • Zone Finish: 52.6%
  • Shots on goal/percentage: 98 shots/2.0%
  • Boxcars: 60, 2-18-20

VOLLMAN SLEDGEHAMMER

vollman oilers blue 1415RE 15-16: 70GP, 3-14-17 .243

1. What do we have here? Stand back, I don’t know how big it’s going to get!
  2. Could he be a top-pairing defender? Don’t know for sure but this young man has a strong future in the top 4D. We have some answers but there’s more track to go.
  3. What’s the biggest question about him? Does he have more value in a shutdown role than the one he filled last season? I think he does, and if he can do that job, it would be an enormous problem solved.
  4. His 5×4 offense is good. Meh, two points got him there. He posted good EV numbers though (18 points in 60 games, he finished second on the team). He’s an excellent passer, under control, with a purpose, tape-to-tape. I love the efficiency.
  5. What kind of player is he? Mobile, wide range of skills, 6.03, 210, sturdy, rugged. The devils who count Swedish second assists may have given us a false reading on the offense. The SHL needs to fix that, it s damn nuisance.
  6. Like your C-L-R? I gave that up because it irritated people, not because it was wrong. Not counting universal assists is a big damn deal, probably impacting defensemen most of all. Any person watching the Oilers since 2006 surely knows the value of a good outlet pass and it sure as hell is worth a second assist. And you keep pushing me on this C-L-R thing and I’m bringing it back, promise.
  7. What kind of ice time did he get as a rookie? Led the Oilers in EV time-on-ice, 19:47, as a rookie. I can’t blame them, the guy was better than the rest. Not perfect mind, but for a rookie he was music. Also had 1:44 SH and 27 seconds on the power play. He played nine games in OKC in 2014-15, we’ll call sending him out stupid is as stupid does. Scored well there too, further calling the eyesight of Swedish apple counters into question.
  8. He had good possession numbers. Yes. The ZS push came with Schultz, that pair had a 51.4 Corsi for 5×5%, he was 52.8% with Petry. Klefbom—Fayne, facing tougher everything, were a mere 43.3%.
  9. But you like him in the shutdown role? I think he may eventually be able to handle the role. For me, the role that might have been allocated to Marincin next season, and could be Nurse’s soon, may be best filled by Klefbom for the coming year.
  10. So you like Sekera—Klefbom? Yes. I’d like to see the pairing. I think Todd McLellan could count on them for severe zone starts and since both can pass like dammit, outlets would be fast and furious. Edmonton shot off all their fingers and toes last season by doubling down on lost possession with addling passing. Over and over and over and over and over again. Sekera and Klefbom are both good at moving the puck and both are extremely mobile.
  11. But there would be no physical presence on that pairing? Not true. Klefbom is no wallflower, he’s capable of giving back anything he gets.He got caught a few times and Boston (for instance) targeted him in their game at Northlands. He didn’t back down once, gave it back when the opportunity presented itself. If you doubt Klefbom’s grit, I encourage a closer view. I’m not saying he’s filthy but this isn’t a turn the other cheek player.
  12. But it’s likely to be Sekera—Fayne as 1-2D? Yes. The traditional offensive-shutdown pair would be the safer bet. Two veterans and those two gents will get plenty of special teams time as well, so could be a PK unit.
  13. So, who pairs with Klefbom? Schultz. The Klefbom addition and the zone start push turned Schultz into a positive in possession. In Justin Schultz’ three NHL seasons, his primary partner had a Corsi 5×5 For % of 45.4 (Nick Schultz, 12-13), 42.1 (Andrew Ference 13-14) and 51.4% (Oscar Klefbom, 14-15) when on the ice with him.
  14. That’s all Klefbom? No. The Oilers (I think Eakins did it, with an assist from Dellow) decided to use Schultz in a situation he’d thrive in, plenty of zone starts. It worked very well in terms of possession.
  15. Music! Sure. I just don’t like the idea of using Klefbom in this way. He’s more substantial defensively, there’s not a chance in hell the old Habs would have used Klefbom in this way.
  16. Klefbom could be Huddy to Schultz’s Coffey! You see, that’s my issue here. Klefbom is a BETTER PLAYER NOW than Schultz, so using him in this role isn’t a good use of assets. Klefbom and Jeff Petry would have been an excellent second pairing on this team, giving McLellan two sets who could basically play it any way required. Justin Schultz, or at least the one we saw last season, is a drag on young Klefbom when the young man could be working in a more important defense department.
  17. Is there anyone else McLellan could employ with Klefbom on the second pairing? Aside from Schultz? Well, the list is endless but there are problems with all of them. Nikitin is creaky with the back, Ference is too far along to play top 4 (there was a time where Ference would have been a good option, not now), Gryba is a born third-pairing option, Nurse and Reinhart are also young and of course Fayne is likely to play with Sekera.
  18. Klefbom’s the third best defenseman on the team? He might be the second best, we’re assuming Fayne will flourish with Sekera in my RE model. Oscar Klefbom is a talented hockey player.
  19. When all the kids are together, who will be top pairing among Klefbom, Nurse and Reinhart? I suspect it’ll be a competition between Nurse and Klefbom but it’s miles too early. They’re all fine young prospects, Klefbom has an advantage because he got here early and is established as an NHL player (or at least as an Oilers NHL player).
  20. Of the three, who is best offensively? It could be Klefbom based on last season. 18 EV points in 60 games is a good total, he trailed Schultz by one point.
  21. Those damn Swedes! Love the Swedes, just have to get the assists police to change the law.
  22. When you think of Klefbom, what comes to mind? Something like ‘wish we had five more like him’ sounds about right. He’s got a great attitude, has a range of skills, is a game rooster and appears to be the kind of player who learns his lessons. Edmonton hasn’t been a good procurement team for blue since the days of Coffey and Huddy, but Klefbom and his bunch may be about to change that for this coming decade.
  23. Why this song? I like the line “heaven, a gateway, a hope” and it’s how I feel about Klefbom, Nurse and now Reinhart. The Oilers have been exactly forever in getting their blue fixed by using insiders. Klefbom’s the hope and sweet baby Jesus he appears to be all that. We’ll see. Good, good arrows.

59 Responses to "RE 15-16 OSCAR KLEFBOM: TEMPTATION"

He’s so dreamy.

2. zatch says:

For a split second I thought you meant the The Tea Party song Temptation. Also could sort of work, although obviously completely wrong era.

I love this guy. Going forward, I think Nurse will be The People’s Champ, but Klef and his type of player are favorites of mine.

Give ’em hell, son of Sverige

3. Snowman says:

I’m thrilled to see the D corp in 5 years if they can keep that trio together with Sekera that looks like a damn fine D. Big, strong puck movers all of them. Klefbom is a wonderful player. I imagine he’s a 40 point defenseman in the heart of his career. Very excited about his future.

Nurse, Klefbom, Reinahrt, Nuge, Drai and CMD make this team a contender for the long haul. That’s a fantastic young group of extreme talent right down the middle of the ice for the next 15 years.

Edit: 15 years might be a bit of a stretch… If you force me I’ll say 12.5 years.

It took exactly forever to get to this point and there’s still a year or two to go before the ice tilts in a big way but look at the future there. It’s impossible not to be excited about it.

4. viking chug says:

Woodguy,

I have hopes of Klefbom becoming Giordano. Only in my dream he gets there earlier. Really need to get this handsome fella on a Josi/Brodin type of deal. For two presidential terms ideally.

5. Hammers says:

His going to be a top pairing player . I see our problem as those 3 , Klef , Nurse , & Reinhart are all lefties . We need one to play on the right side ????

6. Hammers says:

Klef & Schultz is still the answer for this season while sorting out the rest . Played together before & Schultz needs more than Ference or Nikitin . Play good players together and this maybe the year Schultz proves the Oilers right . At least I hope so .

7. LadiesloveSmid says:

Hammers,

Believe Reinhart plays both sides comfortably and played about 20-25 games on the right side in Bridgeport last season

if Nurse becomes the rover some people believe he will be, that’d be a good duo

I can see Gryba playing with Klef on the 2nd pair (2nd toughs, 2nd toughest ZS) if the following is true:

1) Jultz doesn’t up his own zone game and McLellen watches his man waltz to the net one too many times

2) Gryba shows to not be immobile and capable of a pass.

I think the 2RD spot is Jultz’ to lose, but if he plays like he did last year, he’ll lose it.

I really hope he’s better and he doesn’t lose it, but I gotta see it first.

9. book¡je says:

So, we can all agree now that Tambellini won the Penner trade, right?

10. viking chug says:

Klefbom has looked comfortable playing on his right side. Saw a bit of that with Musil on the left in the AHL. Ideally Reinhart, Nurse and Klef all get accustomed to playing either side. He might stretch the upper limits of LT’s RE. Anyone concerned that he is a candidate for an offer sheet if he knocks it out of the park this year? Hopefully it goes down like Hjalmarsson…after a cup hoist.

11. jp says:

Bohologo:
    I sure do like Klefbom, but would he be the Eric Brewer you send to St. Louis for Pronger?

If you are getting a Pronger back, you’d have to have the conversation, no?

That would certainly get you there quicker.

But Klef-Sekera-Nurse-Reinhart could be a damn solid, damn cheap top 4 in a couple of years. That would go a long way towards keeping that forward group together. A young, value D corps could be massive in the big picture (though so could a Pronger).

I kinda want to see what these kids can do over the next couple of years.

12. Bag of Pucks says:

“Stand back, I don’t know how big it’s going to get!”

Ah LT, I wonder how many of your younger readers get these ‘old joke’ references? Rest assured us old timey sorts do and enjoy them immensely.

Loved that joke back in the day. I’ll never forget I was in the kitchen at a party one time. Digression alert: Why does everyone end up in the kitchen at parties? I threw that line out there and this fetching young lass immediately took one step back and said, “ok, let’s see it.”

That was my first introduction to a fun gal with a sunny disposition and a somewhat shady past. Good times. Thanks for spurring the memory.

Btw, KBom is the shiznit. Given his infamous history, I’m reluctant to make the comparison but I see a lot of Steve Smith in this young man. And ’86 aside, Steve Smith was a fantastic defenceman for the Oil.

13. kinger_OIL says:

Great work LT – highlights the challenge with our D

– Would be prudent to assume Klef struggles a bunch this year (or at least allow for the possibility), given he’s less than 100 games in…

– Trying to break in Nurse and Griff this year, that would he half the D corps with less than 100 games total playing in the NHL, and Davidson as well: that won’t end well, this isn’t development team anymore

– Still way to much of “if everything works out well, and Captain improves, and NN recovers, and Shultz man’s up, and Klef continues one way progression, and Nurse is awesome…”

– Today, this D is bottom-5 in league, different names but no different than last year

– I’m confident that Chia has some more moves, this can’t be the D corps for start of season, can it?

viking chug:
    Woodguy,

I have hopes of Klefbom becoming Giordano.Only in my dream he gets there earlier.Really need to get this handsome fella on a Josi/Brodin type of deal.For two presidential terms ideally.

I think he can be in the same conversation as Josi and Ekholm.

That’s a fine neighbourhood.

book¡je:
    So, we can all agree now that Tambellini won the Penner trade, right?

Nope.

1st and a failing prospect was not a good price for a 30 goal scorer with 1.25 years left on his contract.

Klef actually turning out is besides the point.

Its the value at the time of the trade.

Oilers really wanted Mark McNeil but CHI took him the pick before.

Would it be a win then?

Dmen taken after Klef are Murphy (ARI) and Morrow (PIT)

Neither are Klef’s caliber so far.

Would it be a win if they picked one of those guys?

16. LadiesloveSmid says:

Woodguy,

dislike the (second) Perron trade then, too?

would be 1.25 years on a non-competitive team

17. Ducey says:

I am not sure why LT is even doing these RE:’s anymore.

Klefbom, Nurse, Hall, Nuge, cash to pay them, and the next 3 first rounders are all being traded for OEL once Verdad becomes GM next week.

18. Ducey says:

book¡je:
    So, we can all agree now that Tambellini won the Penner trade, right?

It actually worked for both teams. Penner helped LA win the Cup; the Oilers have Klefbom. They were at different stages of their development.

Bruce did his usual good analysis way back when: http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/2012/06/13/who-won-the-dustin-penner-trade/

Of course you would have liked something better than Teubert and Zharkov, but we will never know what was on the table from LA aside from Teubert, and 3rd rounders are no sure thing.

19. Bar_Qu says:

Ducey:
    I am not sure why LT is even doing these RE:’s anymore.

FTW

20. Well Oiled and Enthusiastic says:

For my money, this is our future no. 1 D. That is no slight to Nurse, but I think Klefbom brings a hockey IQ that Nurse doesn’t possess. A man his size, with his mobility, his ability to give what he gets, his calm outlet passes (already) and defensive awareness. What’s not to love and I’m finding it real hard to see small issues let alone glaring holes. I truly doubt he ‘struggles’ this year. Won’t matter who you pair him with, he will be carrying the luggage…..as a relative newbie. Just wait until the rough edges are finely sanded with time. His ceiling is high.

21. rickithebear says:

Top 5 evp pace in offesive role.
    57.78 petry is 46.37 2nd comp with klef
    65.13 schultz is 54.50 3rd with klef
    at least a 10.6 improvement.

I was fine with the Penner trade (with an explanation). Once you get past the idea the trade meant Edmonton had no plans to compete, it was clearly a ‘rebuild’ deal.

If the Oilers are convinced Penner won’t sign for a good number, this might be the time to deal him. Penner is having a good season, he’s healthy and it isn’t beyond reasonable for another team to believe he can help them go deep this spring. Return: A very good young player in his entry level contract or an outstanding prospect, plus a pick.

I had to delete the comments, people were vicious that day. Lordy.

23. rickithebear says:

Ducey:
    I am not sure why LT is even doing these RE:’s anymore.

Lets trade a d that has shown a top 5 evp pace and improves poor 2mf 3rd comp d.
    For a dman that had a marked drop in performance

24. book¡je says:

Woodguy: Nope.

Its the value at the time of the trade.

I actually fully agree with that statement. With that said – I think that Penner’s market value was lower than the average 30 goal scorer – likely the same reason that has him not playing hockey a few years after that trade despite seemingly being a good player.

Also, while we assessed that trade looking at the value of similar players in years prior where 1sts were regularly thrown around to pick up players, it seems as though the perceived value of picks in following years rose as GMs were far less likely to offer 1st round picks for players than they had been in the past.

25. dustrock says:

LT, glad we moved away from Joy Division to the much-superior New Order. 😉

Klefbom had pretty good EV numbers with a 2% shooting percentage. I like how he can get his shot on target, should be some rebound goals if the forwards on this team knew how to play.

Also, was it Klefbom who was yelling “Yes! Yessssssss!” in the locker room after a (rare) comeback win? Love that guy.

26. kinger_OIL says:

Bohologo,

BOHO : You improve on top-end, but you still have half the D that is Jultz, NN, Captain, Nurse/Rein, Gryba, Davidson playing the last 3 spots. Still too many “priced for perfection” execution risks.

– What this D really needs is another guy that has played 250-400 games that you know what you are getting, so there is less “hoping” on game 1.

27. Cahoon says:

Hammers,

Klef played the right side at iihf paired with Verdad’ s dream boat. He looked like he was having a bit of a time adjusting, but by the end he looked good.

28. Cahoon says:

dustrock,

LadiesloveSmid:
    Woodguy,

dislike the (second) Perron trade then, too?

would be 1.25 years on a non-competitive team

Perron trade is a little closer because:

1) 2015 draft was much deeper than 2011 and the pick had more value (Klef being dreamy notwithstanding)

2) Penner had scored 32 the year before and had 21 in 62 games (39pts/61gp) when he was traded

Perron had scored 28 the year before, but only scored 5 in 38 games (19pts/38 gp) and had hip problems when traded.

I think Perron was close to value, but not quite until PIT tanked and drove the pick to 16.

Penner was further off imo.

30. dustrock says:

Cahoon: dustrock, You’re comparing apples and oranges. The guys do well in New Order, but it’s a whole different feel after Ian killed himself, different, not superior.

Ehhhh. I’ve always been more of a fan of the Depeche Mode, New Order, Pet Shop Boys type music.

I’ll lose my street cred but really think Joy Division is one of the most overrated bands of all time.

Woodlief: I see someone has asked a question regarding Klefbom vs. Brodin debate among Swedish defencemen. I have a clear preference for Klefbom. I frankly think he should be talked about in the same sentence as Larsson, Hamilton, and Murphy – the consensus top three defencemen on the board. I think Klefbom’s upside is very big – he could end up being a real home run out of this draft.

That was draft week.

32. fuzzy muppet says:

I’m pretty sure Klefbom’s abs can stop the opposition’s cycle by them selves.

33. Ca$h-McMoney! says:

It doesn’t matter what Genre or Era we’re covering in the series, Klefbom’s song should always be Sexbomb by Tom Jones.

34. TheOtherJohn says:

Manchester Monarchs in 2010-2011 had Voynov, Muzzin, Martinez, Thomas Hickey and Teubert on the D, Dwight King and Jordan Nolan on the wings and a 20 year old Martin Jones who played 39 games and had a .924 sv % (that is a very very impressive # for a 20 yr old AHL gioalie) .

This trade is great evidence of why the Oilers were so monumentally terrible at pro scouting. A literal cornucopia of valuable AHL assets and we pick the only guy in draft +3 on the fast track for European hockey.

Getting the pick that became Klefbom was the only value we got in that trade

As to Brodin and Klefbom: both very good players. Brodin has been ahead of Klefbom on just about everything. SEL playing time, world juniors, making it to NHL but I like Klefbom’s skill set. I wonder if Klefbom’s history of injuries at every level would be enough to keep Brodin ahead of him long term

35. hunter1909 says:

Klefbom’s going to be like Guy Lapointe for this team.

A stylish defenceman who does everything well.

36. Oil2Oilers says:

I now have higher expectations of the Oilers management. Chia is not locked into the idea that you can’t do anything until the deadline.

Like a Ehrhoff signing for 2 years.

Sekera-Fayne
    Klefbom-Ehrhoff

A real life NHL 4 with talented kids bursting at the seems to break in.

All it would take would be some creativity on shedding Ference, Nikitin and Schultz to free up the Cap room.

Bohologo:

If you are getting a Pronger back, you’d have to have the conversation, no?

No. Bad cap management.

Klefbom, Nurse, and Reinhart are all a few years older than McDavid. They will peak simultaneously. The Oilers have a chance for a perfect rebuild (if they don’t screw this up).

The Oilers have a chance of getting Klefbom, Nurse, and Reinhart on long Josi-Brodin-like 2nd contracts.

The Oilers will desperately need that to be able to pay the forwards next contracts.

If one wants a 10-year run, the key to that is the three D, signed to long term 2nd contracts.

i.e. McDavid, Nugent-Hopkins, and the 3 D. The core of contending. And hopefully Eberle and Hall are moderate in their contract demands next time around.

38. Ivan says:

hunter1909,

But that would mean sideburns, and we don’t want that…..

39. Jordan says:

Hey LT – hope you’re enjoying hosting during sports news primetime during the Jamieson Show.

Do I email your email address of lowetide@tsn1260.ca while you’re on Dave’s show? Or do I email him?

Thanks for making the offseason so much fun!

40. wheatnoil says:

Edmonton Oilers draft pick Ethan Bear trades hockey stick for ball glove http://t.co/IITqmYxKXG— CBC Saskatchewan (@CBCSask) August 12, 2015

This is a fun little article about Ethan Bear playing softball for the Saskatchewan First Nations Summer Games going on right now. I didn’t realize he was from southeast Saskatchewan (Ochapowace First Nations).

41. JD¡™ David O'Connor's Reel says:

book¡je: Besides – Just this past season, Colton Teubert got 5 points in 44 games playing for the Iserlohn Roosters, so I think its a little early to write him off.

Cocky statement.

42. ASkoreyko says:

godot10: No.Bad cap management.

Klefbom, Nurse, and Reinhart are all a few years older than McDavid.They will peak simultaneously.The Oilers have a chance for a perfect rebuild (if they don’t screw this up).

If one wants a 10-year run,the key to that is the three D, signed to long term 2nd contracts.

i.e. McDavid, Nugent-Hopkins, and the 3 D.The core of contending.And hopefully Eberle and Hall are moderate intheir contract demands next time around.

This should be printed off and posted on every desk in Oilers HQ. I am hoping Chia has learned his lesson and will hopefully apply a Chicago model of protecting the core and letting the expensive complimentary players go.

I think McDavid, Nuge and the 3D is a great place to start.

43. Hammers says:

LadiesloveSmid:
    Hammers,

if Nurse becomes the rover some people believe he will be, that’d be a good duo

Thought he only played R side in junior once in a while . Hope your right .

44. dustrock says:

Next on RE 15-16: Derek Roy – Hanging on the Telephone

45. JD¡™ David O'Connor's Reel says:

Ca$h-McMoney!: Klefbom’s song should always be Sexbomb

Truth!

46. Bank Shot says:

I hope Klefbom really breaks out this year and has a monster season. The Oilers need a couple of D Men to emerge in the worst possible way.

I really wouldn’t be surprised if Klefbom falls back offensively though. The hype is really reaching astronomical proportions on this guy. He’s taken the title from Marincin as darling of the oilblogosphere. I thought he played alright last season, but I feel many fans are clinging to Klefbom as he was one of the only bright lights in a dismal year. He shouldn’t be penciled in as a top pairing defender until he shows some consistency.

Klefbom was around 25th in the league last season among defenders in his rate of acquiring second assists. I think that will swing the other way and he will see a Klefbom that scores less points than he did last season.

Hopefully I’m all kinds of wrong. 🙂

47. JD¡™ David O'Connor's Reel says:

Bank Shot: The Oilers need a couple of D Men to emerge in the worst possible way.

I think Niki has already done that 😉

48. wheatnoil says:

Bank Shot:

There’s some evidence that ALL assists from defensemen are not indicative of true skill, but rather more system based, not just second assists.

We know A2 rates =/= skill for Fs thanks to @NHLEricT . Looks like the same can be said for A rates in general wrt D pic.twitter.com/pHS9eBWGzA— Domenic Galamini (@MimicoHero) July 28, 2015

It’s kind of an interesting thought.

49. Ca$h-McMoney! says:

JD¡™ David O’Connor’s Reel: I think Niki has already done that

Well played sir, that made me genuinely laugh.

50. Truth says:

Last off-season was the Martin Marincin hype. He still has promise, although clearly took a step back from his play late in 13-14.

Klefbom is young as well and could easily take a step back. I realize his underlying numbers are all positive and he appears to succeed everywhere, but this is a young defenseman in the NHL. He could really find his game elsewhere when it’s all said and done.

It wasn’t long ago that we were all concerned about his potential in the NHL due to his long list of injuries as well. I’m hoping for the best but I think we need to temper our expectations. Chiarelli should be doing the same. Hope for the best, plan for the worst. I’d still like to see a legitimate top 4 D brought in by the end of training camp.

51. Ca$h-McMoney! says:

Truth,

There is a lot more from Klefbom’s past performance to suggest he will be a borderline elite NHL Dman. Marincin wasn’t even doing particularly well in the AHL when he got called up to play with Petry, and his performance prior to the NHL was in the good not great category.

WIth that said, you are probably right that preparing for some regression is wise.

52. Cameron says:

A. I still have a giant sized poster of the ‘Temptation’ album art on my wall .

B. This is a way better fit for Sexbomb;

53. Bag of Pucks says:

Woodguy: Perron trade is a little closer because:

1) 2015 draft was much deeper than 2011 and the pick had more value(Klef being dreamy notwithstanding)

Penner was further off imo.

Eakins should hold the bulk of the blame for devaluing Perron.

Took him only 3 months to turn Perron from 2nd leading goal scorer to malcontent. That’s some serious ‘chopping wood and carrying water’ if that phrase is in fact a synonym for hitting yourself in the bag with a ball peen hammer.

54. slopitch says:

Just catching up. Thoughts

1) Sign Kelf. He’s dreamy.
    2) It’s hard to expect him to develop as quick/well as Josi. Josi has a true #1D to help him along. Giordano is the exception to the rule since he took so long. We should know where Klefbom will be in about 2 years. Its more realistic to say that Klefbom (and Sekera) will hopefully enable Nurse/Reinhart to become top pairing dmen.

55. Bag of Pucks says:

godot10: No.Bad cap management.

The nice thing about those Tambi core contracts is it buys you some time to sort it out.

Right now, Hall looks like the outscorer keeper but you’re right, in a year or two, RNH may be supplant him as a lynch-pin.

The key imo is Nuge has to be showing upside beyond Dave Keon at that point. He has to be more comparable to Doug Gilmour.

The core Fs they build around have to be ppg outscorers. Wide range of skills alone doesn’t keep you in the fold. It has to come with production.

Will be interesting when this team finally starts making the playoffs cos playoff performance is so often what drives these decisions.

56. TheGreatMcMutato says:

Ducey,

FWIW, if anyone uses greasemonkey or tampermonkey in their browser then this is a particularly simple and useful script to add:

// ==UserScript==
    // @name Every damned Verdad2.0EL post
    // @namespace https://lowetide.ca
    // @version 0.1
    // @description OEL derp
    // @match *lowetide.ca/*
    // @grant none
    // @require https://ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/jquery/1.11.1/jquery.min.js
    // ==/UserScript==

$("div.comment_content cite:contains('verdad2.0')").parent().find("div.comment_text").html("Derp derp OEL derp...");

Nothing is lost in translation.